• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 1,211 Views, 122 Comments

She Wants To Know What Love Is - Elric of Melnipony



Twist has her eye on a certain colt, and for once, books aren't telling her everything she wants to know. It's time for her to ask what it's really like to have a special somepony.

  • ...
20
 122
 1,211

Chapter 1: Twilight Sparkle

Lady Wintergreen was appalled. “A love potion? I'll do no such thing!” Any other servant who made a suggestion of this sort would have been reprimanded for undue familiarity, but Orange Blossom had been her companion since foalhood. “Where did you come up with that idea?”

“I got it from the old wise mare in the village, miss.” Orange Bloom looked down in apology.

“And has this wise mare a name?”

“She's called Sundown, miss.”

Wintergreen had heard this name before. Sundown was, in fact, a unicorn of no small skill who had left Canterlot many years before. Some said she had been banished from the court, some said she was in self-imposed exile. Either way, she would be likely to have notions other than potions.


Twist was a white-coated filly with a curly mane and glasses, and she was in the library fairly often. She liked to learn, loved reading, and in many ways reminded Twilight of herself at that age – except for Twist's dominant earth pony genes limiting her to subconscious magic in very specific areas. She didn't seem surprised at all by what Twilight had said, and she crossed the room without hesitation. She spoke quietly as soon as she was close enough to be heard. “I'm glad you found that, Mith Twilight. I've got something I want to talk about.” Though some ponies found it cute, Twist had been working to lose her lisp. Often the results were, in her own words, “success followed by a lapthe.”

“What is it, Twist?” Twilight kept her own volume low in response.

“Can we thpeak privately?”

“Of course. Let me just ask Spike to handle things in case anypony needs to check anything out.” Once her able assistant had been informed that he was officially In Charge, Twilight moved towards the basement stairs, asking questions of other patrons as she and Twist passed. “Is that movie reference guide what you were looking for, Cherry Berry? Are you enjoying the novel so far, Flitter? Dreamer, did you see that we have the new Neil Hay-Grass Trotson in?” Each query was met with a pleased affirmative.

The basement was surprisingly roomy given the clutter that occupied it. Twist saw more books, some equipment for book repair, bags of magically-enhanced tree food, all sorts of strange laboratory devices, and an unopened crate that was marked “Deluxe Mad Scientist Kit – Proudly Made in Cross-Forest”. That one was slightly worrying, but she had confidence that Twilight would only use it for good, not evil.

Twilight gestured to her guest to take a seat, then took one as well. “What's on your mind?”

Twist blushed and took a deep breath before she spoke. “I... I want to learn about romance. Like in the bookth. Like in the thtuff... stuff I've been writing.”

“I hate to disappoint you, Twist, but I'm not exactly all that knowledgeable in that area myself.”

“Maybe not, but I still knew I could talk to you.” Twilight's head tilted in confusion, so Twist clarified. “Ponies can talk to librarians about anything.”

“Oh. Well, that makes sense. But why not ask your teacher, Miss Cheerilee?”

“No! No, no, no. Thomepony... somepony might overhear.”

“So I take it you're interested in someone in your class?”

Twist wouldn't have been a very good poker player. “Maybe.”

“Would it happen to be Snips or Snails?” Twilight had had a few run-ins with those two of Twist's classmates.

“Pleathe!” Twist rolled her eyes. “Even when I dumb my converthation down, I can thtill run verbal ringth around Thnailth, and Thnipth ithn't much better.” Her lack of attention to her lisp showed just how emphatic she was on the subject.

“Uh... what about your friend, the aspiring gourmet cook?”

“He's a good friend and that's it. And even if he wathn't, he liketh Peachy Pie.”

Twilight knew some fillies in Twist's class, as they were younger sisters of her own good friends, but her mental roster was rapidly running out of eligible colts. She reflected that this lack of information on her part might be another reason why Twist had approached her instead of Cheerilee. “Well, I guess I don't really need to know. As for romance itself, I can recommend some books...”

Twist cut her off. “I've read them.”

“And?”

“The fiction is all thilly, even more than what you saw of my writing. The non-fiction is too clinical. The poetry doesn't give any tholid details.”

“So what you're looking for is more along the lines of personal experiences.”

“Precisely.” Twist gave a pleased smile, happy that Twilight had understood her needs, and proud of getting the word out without a hitch.

“Therefore, we need ponies who not only have romantic experience, but are willing to contribute to the education of a young filly. There's only one thing to do in a situation like this.”

“What's that?”

“Let's make a list!”