• Published 24th Apr 2013
  • 1,026 Views, 16 Comments

Frozen:The day the sun died. - Brosparkles



Would you risk everything you've ever known, for a shot at something better? 3 young ponies, sealed away from the world deep within a geo-thermal shelter decide to head out for some fun and excitement. Has light M/M shipping.

  • ...
2
 16
 1,026

Finale: Memories

“Now then, can we go?” Twilight asked shakily.

“This is really empty for a coronation room.” Amethyst said.

“This is just so much to take in.” Sol said, rising slowly.

“You’re...a prince?” Aqua said in disbelief.

“Don’t expect me to start bowing to you now, Sol” Amethyst said.

“Please, don’t.” Sol said.

Sol’s new horn began to glow orange, and sparks shot out wildly.

“Hmm, I’ve never seen a pegasus turned prince. It’s, interesting to say the least. You’re acting like a magic kindergartener” Twilight said.

“I can’t control it, I’m sorry!” Sol exclaimed, as his horn shone once more, searching for something to find.

Finding nothing in the empty white room, his magic grabbed onto Twilight. She effortlessly dispelled it, but seemed impressed.

“That’s stronger magic then I’ve seen from most ponies. Of course, without some self control you’re worthless.” Twilight said.

“What’s gotten into you? You were an element of harmony, this is no way to treat ponies. You should know that better than I!” Luna said.

“Harmony is no more. Something you should know too.” Twilight said.

“What!” Luna and Spike both shouted.

“There haven’t been new element bearers since the crisis. Now we’ve passed, and harmony is just waiting for us to die. Besides Applejack and myself, the element bearers are all gone. I’m carrying out Celestia’s will, out of respect. Celestia is telling me to take you to the cathedral. So can we please get going?” Twilight said.

“Wait, she told you, just now?” Luna said.

“Yes, now let’s go.” Twilight said.

“But, my sister has been dead for years.” Luna said.

“So?” Twilight responded.

“Twilight. She’s gone.” Spike said

“No, she’s here, and she says we have to go.” Twilight said.

“Twilight, are you okay?” Spike asked.

Twilight grabbed Sol by the hoof, and dragged him along behind her as she headed downstairs. Sol squirmed free, his horn shooting sparks once more.

“This is just too much. I still can’t believe I have this horn.” Sol said.

A lock of Sol’s mane fell into his view, and he jumped back.

“Orange?” he shrieked.

“It looks beautiful.” Aqua said.

“You might want to look at your fur too.” Amethyst said.

Sol looked down at his hooves, similarly shocked by the white.

“Please, can we go? I promised to carry out Celestia’s will, but that’s all she’ll get from me.” Twilight said.

Luna began to darken slightly, an angered look shot across her face.

“How dare you talk about her that way!” Luna yelled.

“Why? What has she done to deserve my respect?” Twilight responded loudly.

“She taught you! Took care of you! Gave you your title!” Luna shrieked.

Luna continued to darken, her mane becoming translucent.

“Luna. Calm down.” Spike said, putting a claw on her.

“But for what? Now the world is falling apart, and all my friends are dead. She made me immortal, why not the others?” Twilight said, tearing up from her yelling.

Luna gritted her teeth, overcome by anger.

“Luna! You must control your anger. You know what will happen. I might not be able to stop you this time.” Spike said.

Luna stopped, and took a deep breath.

“You’re right. I must...control myself.” Luna said.

“She didn’t tell anyone. No one was prepared. She had to have known she was dying. She didn’t even tell anypony she had an heir! It’s like she wanted this to happen!” Twilight wailed.

“You wouldn’t know what it’s like, to love someone as much as she loved you. But you have to understand, she gave you immortality because she loved you. It was a very special occasion. You proved yourself. This is how you thank her? By cursing her name? ” Luna said.

“What would any of you know about love? I loved her more than you would know, and she betrayed me!” Twilight said.

“I know more about love than you would know about. I loved a stallion, once, by the name of Nightfall. But that time has passed. I have to move on.” Luna said.

“What I know about love? That it drives you. Makes you do anything to keep it. But for all my strength, I couldn’t do anything to save her. I loved her, and I love you, Twilight. Celestia did whatever she could to save you from the curse of mortality. I wish she could have done the same for the others, but I don’t blame her for a thing. She had her reasons. Twilight, I thought you were dead. Last time I saw you I was a young drake, newlywed. Now I’m an old widower, and as far as I knew, I was alone. But you have the nerve to talk about being abandoned and betrayed?” Spike said.

Sol, Aqua, and Amethyst simply watched, not even sure what the argument was about. Twilight began to cry, tears running down her face.

“Spike, I never meant to abandon you. But I had to leave. I couldn’t stay there anymore, not after Celestia refused to help Pinkie. She could have given her immorality, but she chose to let her die. What I do now, I do to clear my conscience.” Twilight said.

“It’s the natural order of things, Twilight. We’re going to die. Celestia couldn’t save everypony, I’m sure. I’ve thought about it too, as I age.” Spike said.

“You were special. Harmony chose you.” Luna added.

Twilight was sobbing into Spike’s chest, completely awash in tears at this point.

“I should have never left you the way I did. Spike, I’m sorry. But I had to do what I did. I still love Celestia, despite how much I hate her.” Twilight said.

“We should get going. If this is what Celestia wants, I’ll do it.” Spike said.

“Thank you.” Twilight said.

Luna shifted back to normal, her color brightening, and her mane solidifying.

“I’ll do it, for Tia.” Luna said.

“I’m in. If this is what I’m destined for, I’ll accept it.” Sol said.

“I can’t exactly say no, now.” Amethyst said.

Twilight took her first long look at Amethyst.

“You look a lot like someone I used to know. My brother, Shining Armor.” Twilight said.

“Her name is Amethyst Sparkle.” Spike said.

“Sparkle?” Twilight asked.

“It’s what my parents named me. I never met them, I was born at the start of the crisis.” Amethyst said.

“Could you really be.. my brother’s daughter?” Twilight asked.

“I guess. I never met him.” Amethyst said.

“I’m sure of it. you look like your father. But you got the coloring of your mother.” Twilight said.

“So, I’m part of a royal family?” Amethyst asked, surprised.

“They must have named you after me. Oh, Celestia, I haven’t seen him in so long.” He probably died thinking I was gone.”Twilight said.

“He may still be alive, we haven’t had any contact with the Crystal Empire in years. Of course, he’d be quite the old stallion.” Luna said.

“I’m going to go there, after this is all over.” Twilight said.

“Can I come with you? I want to meet them.” Amethyst said.

“I’d like that.” Twilight said.

“Let’s get going.” Spike said.

Everypony agreed, and they headed onward to the doors.

“Spike, prepare some fire, I’m going to open the door.” Twilight said.

Spike took in another deep breath, the oxygen igniting in his lungs.The door opened, several black scaled beasts awaiting outside, now covered in flame as fire erupted from Spike’s old lungs. The beasts we knocked back once more, and the group headed forward. Ahead of them the city seemed to narrow, leading into a small passage once more. Behind them the city seemed to fade in the distance. A loud crash echoed, a wall slid behind them.

“So, you’ve finally arrived.” a voice said.

The mouth from earlier reappeared. From deeper in the chamber a faceless blank slab of a pony appeared, gray furred, with a green mane.

“Let’s have some fun, shall we?” the mouth said.

It attached itself to the blank slab, and smiled. A black vat of magic arose from the floor, black smoke pouring out from it. The smoke caused everypony to cough, as a small orb rose from within. The slowly began to change shape, forming into a panther-like being. Several more rose, behaving similarly. Twilight shot a magical bolt at the faceless pony, but the bolt was stopped by the inky magic, which rose up in a wave to catch it.

“That’s it?” the faceless pony asked, disappointed.

Spike shot a small ball of fire at the beasts, but the vat of magic once more caught it. The panther-like magic beasts pounced Twilight, breaking apart on impact, but causing tremendous pain. The magic reached out with a large tentacle-like limb, grabbing Amethyst, pulling her deep into the inky magic. It began to swallow her, she felt it completely overwhelming her. She heard a horrifying snap, as it compressed her front right leg. She screamed in pain, trying to resist. But the thick magic didn’t budge.

“You still can’t do anything about me, can you?” The faceless pony chuckled.

Sol’s horn shone orange, brighter than ever before. The light was blinding, and he couldn’t control it. the magic began to dissipate, freeing Amethyst. Twilight was enraged, looking upon Amethyst’s mangled leg. Her horn sparked, and shot a large bolt, toppling the faceless pony. He turned his back to them, toppled in pain. The group approached, when he quickly turned. A blue wave shot from his hooves, chilling everything it touched. The cold stopped everypony but Luna in their tracks.

“I still triumph in the end! Princess, submit to me!” he yelled.

Luna’s mane went translucent, her fur completely blackened.

“Enough! We are the princess of the night! You shall die here, you miserable wretch!” Nightmare moon yelled.

A deep blue aura rose from her, wrapping itself around the faceless pony. It wrapped around his horn, dispelling his magic, and wrapped around his muscles, rendering him motionless. The freezing magic dispelled, the group could move once more. Amethyst managed to stand, limping.

“I am still the superior ruler! You needed the others to succeed!” The faceless pony said.

“That’s what a ruler does.” Luna said, shifting back to normal.

A face began to appear on the faceless stallion, with bright green eyes, and he began to smile once more.

“Luna, you’ve certainly proved yourself.” The stallion said.

“Nightfall?’ Luna asked.

“You’re really going to give power back to the day, aren’t you? You’ll never learn to appreciate the night, not like me.” Nightfall said.

“You’re responsible for this?” Luna asked.

“Not all of it. After Celestia’s death the balance in night and day was broken. I knew you wouldn’t capitalize on it, like you didn’t back when I was your apprentice. So I took matters into my own hooves. The source of the night is down here. It’s beauty and fullness. I basked in the darkness, and became the lord of the night. But you won’t accept the night’s rule.” Nightfall said.

“Ponies are dying, Nightfall.” Luna said.

“Because they do not accept the darkness.” Nightfall said.

Nightfall began to fade, the magic wearing on his body. He was incredibly scrawny, and barely alive.

“I suppose...you’ve earned your daytime. Enjoy it, your majesty.” Nightfall coughed out.

“He was a student of yours?” Twilight asked.

“A long time ago, yes. He was a great student, but could not accept harmony into his heart. May he have his peace at last.” Luna said, tearing up.

“I’m not quite dead yet, Luna. But thank you for the thoughts. I’ll tell you how to have your sun back, if it means that much to you. After all, more than anything, I wanted to see you happy. I never got to tell you how much I loved you.” Nightfall said.

“I love you.” Luna said, with a tear in her eye

“I’m not going to survive much longer. The magic was all that was keeping me sustained. I wanted you to be able to live in your eternal night. So I waited for centuries. Preparing for the moment I could seize control of the day. I didn’t want it to be done with Celestia’s death, it was just the perfect opportunity. Can you honestly blame me for wanting you to be happy? If the sun is what will make you happy, you can have it back. But it will need a ruler, and fuel source. Your nephew over there should make a fine source. He’ll need to kickstart it though, which will give it enough fuel to burn for a while, at the ultimate cost.” Nightfall said, before passing.

The walls slid back open, revealing the city once more. A small ember appeared in the center of the room, with the royal crest beneath it on the floor.

“Well, you heard what he said.” Sol said.

“Sol, are you really sure?” Aqua said, tearing up.

“I am. I know it. Ever since I saw you in my dreams, Princess, I knew that there was something more than the shelter. Now I’ve found it. This is what I have to do.” Sol said, also tearing up, but smiling.

“Sol, if you’re really going to do this, I just want to say, you were the only friend I ever had. I know you have to do this, but I’m going to miss you.” Amethyst said.

“Now you’re getting emotional too? This is just too much.” Sol said.

“You’re truly worthy of that horn, Sol.” Twilight said.

“Are you ready, your highness?” Spike asked.

“I am.” Sol said.

Sol approached Aqua, and embraced him. Their lips interlocked, for a brief moment absorbed in each other. The others left the chamber, watching from afar. Sol then walked to the ember, and touched his hoof to it. He felt a complete warmth flow through his body. He laid down on top of the crest, spreading his legs wide. The flame enveloped him,covering him completely. The fire didn’t hurt, but blanketed him in warmth. Memories flooded his mind, of Aqua, Amethyst, and a white Alicorn, he now recognized as his mother. The crest shone, and he felt himself slip away. His body immolated, Sol was no more. The chamber filled with flame, and everypony could feel the caves warming. The trek back was full of sobbing and sorrow, but also happiness and memories of Sol. Amethyst and Aqua shared stories, of their childhood, of Aqua’s romance with Sol, leading up to their adulthood. Twilight’s magic helped them scale the pit, and the darkness enveloping the entrance was gone. The sun shone brightly, a reminder of the good Sol had done for the world. From up here, the city could be seen celebrating. Amethyst removed her suit, and everypony took a while to bask in the warmth of the new sun. They basked, sharing stories and each other's company in the new harmony.

Author's Note:

Most iikely going to be an epilogue, explaining what happens to the characters afterward, but the storytelling of Frozen is pretty much done here.