• Published 20th Apr 2013
  • 637 Views, 14 Comments

The Night Bard: The End of Dawn - Iridescence T Wind



What, or more aproriately, who, lead to the fall of Princess Luna and the rise of Nightmare moon? That was a question Twilight Sparkle wanted to awnser. Though the story she discovered was hardly what she was expecting.

  • ...
 14
 637

Bard(VI): An Unexpected Journey

"If one by one we counted people out
For the least sin, it wouldn't take us long
To get so we had no one left to live with.
For to be social is to be forgiving."
-Robert Frost

♪-♪-♪-♪-♪-♪-♪-♪-♪-♪-♪-♪-♪-♪-♪

The next time consciousness came to Sonata, she found herself in the bed of a large wagon, covered in blankets and laying on a mattress consisting of bags of rice. The muted sounds of ponies outside talking while the wagon jostled down whatever road it was on. Yet the bedding felt better than anything she had slept in since her old bed in the burnt down home of her village. By force of concern Sona raised her head, looking around for her belongings.

"Well, well, well, look who's awake and back from the grave." The voice of a tomboyish mare with a slight attitude exclaimed, shocking Sonata into full awareness; regrettably with the pain of her body also coming into fruition. Sonata groaned, collapsing back onto her makeshift pillow, instead staring at the speaker who had startled her.

"Wouldn't move if I were you, you broke almost every bone in your ribcage and both your back legs from that fall you were kicked into." A rugged grey Pegasus with a green mane tied back in a ponytail spoke. Her figure was fine, coated in a reinforced muted green mail and cloth armor that covered everything but her wings. She looked back at Sona, revealing eyes of sea blue which seemed to pierce into her very soul, though her kinder smile softened the blow, "You should be good in a while, forced you to drink a few potions that fixed the bones, though they are going to need a bit of time to strengthen back to normal."

Sonata gave an noncommittal groan in response to the statements, earning a chuckle from the mysterious Pegasus, "The name's Meadow by the way, Sunset Meadow. Though my friends call me Sunny when they think they're being wise. They're not." She said with a roll of her eyes, "What's your name?"

Sona mustered her strength to speak, couldn't hurt, considering she probably would of been a dead pancake on the street of Canterlot without her help, "Sonata... Requiem..."

"So Sona then, pleased to meet you as well." the mare dragged on, sharpening some strange tool attached to her wing, a blade of some sort, "What did you do to get kicked off the highest tower?"

Sonata struggled to draw the words up, her throat dry, "Water..." she whispered, ignoring the question.

With a sheepish look, Sunny put away her strange bladed tools into sheaths on either side of her armor and moved a canteen to Sonata's lips, allowing the mare a long drink of a sweet honey like nectar to wet her throat, "Sorry, as you were saying?"

Relieved of some soreness Sonata started, Sunset's manner more than friendly nature enough to spur conversation on, despite the various minor pains as her body's skeleton kept fixing itself ever so slowly, "I..." her thoughts switched on her, "don't want to talk about it..."

It must of been something on Sona's face that made Sunny frown, but she didn't push it, instead giving Sona a physical look over to check on her healing, and state. Though it was actually the heavily bandaged mare that initiated the next part of conversation, "Where's my instruments..." she managed to ask, a feeling of dread sinking into her.

"Broke," The mare began, chuckling at Sona's horrified expression, "Relax I'm joking. Your body broke its fall." She moved her case, bent slightly but still intact, out from behind a few crates, "Same with your clothes though the rest of your gear wasn't so fortunate."

Sonata sighed in relief, though sonny's next words nearly caused her heart to stop, "Can't help but notice your instruments are made by Candlelight, he's rather well known for crafting instruments for famous bards, though I can't say I ever heard of you in any tavern, how did you get a hoof of one, let alone several."

There was no hiding it, "He's... my late father..." Sonata admitted.

Sunny raised an eyebrow, "Late? As in dead?"

Sonata hid her face between her hooves, her voice getting a bit louder as pent up anger and sadness finally broke the shield that had been weakened by betrayal and shock of the events she had occurred, "A Mage riding a creature of bucking legend killed him with the rest of Hoofington!" she blubbered on, "Family, friends, neighbors, all dead!" she practically screamed the last word, she rambled on horrifying detail after horrifying detail, "Burned alive or forced to commit suicide by blasted spells!"

The wagon seemed to stop, the voices outside actually growing silent as they overheard, though she didn't care, it wasn't until a warm body actually wrapped their hooves around her did she look up and noticed a sad smile on Sunset's face as she hugged Sona, "There, there..." she calmly started to brush Sonata's hair with her hoof, a gesture usually reserved for intimate couples or family, "It's okay, you're not alone. Let it all out." her voice had lost that defiant, tomboyish edge. It was calming, to say the least for the short while it lasted uninterrupted.

Though a rustling at the back drew Sunny's attention and ruined the moment, "Hey Sunny," the male voice from before, who was it again...Moody? inquired, "We heard the voices an-" The stallion was unable to continue as a hoof unwrapped the crying unicorn and grabbed the nearest object, a frying pan, and threw it over hand at the interrupter, "Out! Can't you see this filly is traumatized? Get the cart moving again before I tie you to your bed and let it drag behind the cart with you on it." the harsh tone was back.

Apparently she had missed as the stallion gave a gruff wisecrack back, "Usually I have to beg for hours to get you to do that."

"You... Big...Dumb... D-Dolt," the mare blushed despite herself, "Shoo! I'm serious!"

"Whatever you say boss."

Soon enough the cart was moving again and teasing conversation between two unknown males and Duty, Sona had recalled his name, continued on wards. Sunny turned back to Sona giving her a comforting pat, getting a small smile in return, "So now that we all know what that was about..." Sunny began, smiling while lifting Sona's chin with the tip of her hoof, "Why don't you join us?"

"Join what?"

The mare chuckled, her voice returning to the normalcy she had first heard, "My group of vagabonds. We may be lacking numbers currently but we all have a hatred of those wizards and mages who have wronged the people, and do as much mischief and mayhem to their little 'perfect kingdom' as possible by raiding outposts, stealing supplies, recruiting members who had been wronged, and taking back what is ours."

Sona raised an eyebrow and inquired, "Bandits?"

Sunny chuckled, still smiling, "We prefer the term, 'freedom fighters' to be honest."

Sona put some thought into it, there wasn't anything waiting for her anywhere, the companions she had gained would probably be gone on their own ways by now. She asked, "Will you teach me how to fight?"

Sunny smiled, "Yes. Though I warn you, I teach by doing, not by lecture or fancy little books."

Sona nodded in response, "Then yes, if you will have me then I will join your... group."

As the wagon moved onwards still, Sona grew more determined, if the justice was corrupt and not very many noticed, she would have to do it herself. But in order to stand a chance, she would need to learn how to fight. That meant becoming a warrior. Her mind set in stone she almost missed Sunny as she smiled and stated, "Now come on, when we stop lets introduce you to the rest of our group. Perhaps afterwards we can hear you strum a song for us, no?"

"Why wait?" Sona questioned, smiling weakly. She opened her case pulling out and putting together her fathers piano, and after a few test notes she smiled back to a grinning Sunny, and began to play. The wagon turned off the forested roads and down a path to a hidden fort, in the deep green thick forests of the Foal Mountain Range. Summer was drawing to an end, the seventh, in fact, since Discords fall. Winter was coming...

Author's Note:

With winter coming and warrior training to be done, be prepared to see more of AJ and Flutters though this will still primarily be telling the story of Sona for a while yet! Congrats on reaching the end of the first ARC!

Also on a side note: this chapter was edited by: Sylpheed Dashstep and Eli.