• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 918 Views, 43 Comments

Pony Tales from the 41st Millennium - ProfCharles



The enemies of the Imperium of Ponykind are without number, as are the heroes who stand against them.

  • ...
3
 43
 918

Fluttershy

Emergency field hospital, Kneth Prime

"Wounded!" a nurse cried as another stampede of injured soldiers entered the already overflowing field hospital, her voice drowned out by the screams of the dying.

Battle Sister Fluttershy of the Sororitas Hospitaller flitted from bed to bed, tending to injuries, applying medication, changing bandages and offering a few words of comfort as needed.

"Sister, we need you!" cried a nurse, beckoning the yellow Pegasus over to a gurney, where a patient struggled against his bonds. "We need your help, this one's delirious!"

Fluttershy flew over to the group instantly, observing the situation. Without a word, she grabbed the stallion's head and stared deep into his eyes.

"Shush now, little one, you are safe," she murmured to him. With his attention now locked onto her, a nurse pumped a sedative into his bloodstream, sending the wounded pony into a deep sleep.

"Thank you, Sister," said the nurse. "We can take it from here."

Fluttershy nodded and flew off, only to be called down by another group.

"Sister! She's suffering from severe internal bleeding!"

Fluttershy nodded and picked up a knife, making a series of quick, clean incisions into the mares chest, seeking the problem.

A minute later and she found the piece of shrapnel that had penetrated the armour and cut a vein.

A few seconds afterwards and the mare died, Fluttershy still elbow deep into her body.

"I'm sorry," Fluttershy whispered, closing the mare's eyes. Another cry for help interrupted her mourning.

She left the bed and headed deep into the fray of doctors, nurses and dying soldiers.

Here was a Unicorn missing both hind legs, there was a Pegasus with a face full of shrapnel, a mare fused into her armour, a stallion driven mad by the horrors of war. The tide of injured never abated.

And Fluttershy was there for each and every one of them.

She flew down an aisle, eyes floating from bed to bed, patient to patient, when a weak voice caught her attention.

"Sister..."

She looked to one side and saw a wounded old stallion, a colonel judging by his pips, beckoning her. Fluttershy moved to his side and began to check his bandages, but her waved her off with a hoof.

"Don't bother sister, I've been in enough hospitals to know the truth. I'm dying." He coughed up some blood and went to spit it out, but glanced at Fluttershy and thought better off it.

"I'm here for you," Fluttershy said, her voice almost lost in the din of the makeshift hospital, wiping the blood away with a cloth.

"Thank you," the stallion wheezed, before reaching up to his throat and removing his ID tags. Alongside them, on a chain, was a heart shaped locket. After fumbling with it, Fluttershy took it off him and opened it, revealing the picture of a young mare wearing a matching uniform.

"She's beautiful. Your daughter?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yes. Sergeant Cloudkicker. I'm so proud of her," the stallion said, wiping a tear from his eye. "Sister, if I go before... Before..."

"I'll find her," Fluttershy promised, holding the stallion's hoof in her own. "I'll find her and tell her how proud you are."

The stallion sniffed. "Thank you, Sister. Could you... Could you stay with me, until the end?"

"Of course I can," Fluttershy said, gripping his hoof tighter, but the old stallion didn't seem to notice.

"You know, I always dreamed of dying with a pretty mare by my side," he joked, barking out a short laugh that devolved into a coughing fit. "Never thought it would come true though."

Fluttershy stroked the stallions head comfortingly. "Don't strain yourself too hard," she admonished.

"Heh, I suppose you're right." The stallion fell into silence. "My vision is fading now. The God-Princess, Celestia, she's waiting for me, isn't she?"

"Yes, she is," Fluttershy replied. "Waiting with open wings."

"Did... Did I make her proud?" There was fear in the stallion's voice now.

"As proud as you are of your own daughter," Fluttershy said. "She is so, so proud of you, and she loves you like only a mother can."

"Like a mother... Good... Remember.... Find her..." He closed his eyes, and a moment later stopped breathing.

"I promise I'll find her," Fluttershy whispered to the dead stallion. Then she stood up and left his bed.

There was still work to be done.