• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 5,045 Views, 127 Comments

My Little Fallout: New York - MrDenim



Twilight Sparkle returns home after disappearing one day, six months ago. The Twilight that came back, however, is different. She may appear strange to her friends now, but her tale is even more strange.

  • ...
12
 127
 5,045

Chapter 2 -- Wake the Town and Tell the People

-- Wake the Town and Tell the People

=-=-=-=-=
Canterlot, Equestria
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Royal Dining Hall
=-=-=-=-=

Twilight’s friends were ecstatic to learn about her coming home. Spike didn’t believe Shining at first, accusing him of saying that to make him feel better. Night Light and Twilight Velvet, Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor’s parents, were both slightly disbelieving as well. Pinkie Pie, surprisingly, suggested that they throw her a-

“…party!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

Her friends agreed, not even noticing Shining Armor’s expression change from passive to fear in less than a second. He started stuttering, trying to form the words needed to say ‘No’ to the surprise party. He felt a wing drape across his back. He looked to the side and saw his wife-to-be, Princess Cadance, smiling warmly at him.

With a sigh and the shake of his head, he left Dining Hall to head towards the Infirmary, leaving behind the voices of happiness. At some point in time during the trip, the Princesses met up with him and followed close behind.

They had stopped in front of the ornamental double doors with a glazed red cross adorning the center. They looked at each other awkwardly before they motioned for the others to go first. They shared a chuckle.

Princess Celestia stepped forward and said, “I suppose we shou-“

“I said that I’m fine, damn it!”

There was a thump that followed the yell, causing the three to run in, horns glowing. Needless to say, what they saw wasn’t what they expected.

Twilight was scowling as she held an icepack on her forehead with her magic, as her hooves currently crossed in a pout. Her armor and weapons were gone, as was the eye patch and the bandage that was around her hoof, the only thing still there was a set of dog tags. Instead of a hole, as Shining had feared, it was just a sown-over eyelid. It wasn’t surprising that she wore the eye patch, as the patchwork on her eye was grisly at best.

The doctor was nursing a black eye and a torn jacket. His mane was in disarray as if he had just finished a marathon.

Princess Celestia asked, “What just happened in here?”

“She punched me!” “He punched me!” The two said at the time, glaring at each other.

“Why?” Celestia asked simply.

The doctor pointed a hoof in Twilight’s direction. “She won’t cooperate!”

The mare in question just stuck her tongue out at him and muttered, “I won’t cooperate because I know that I’m fine.”

“You have a missing eye, a torn ear, and the tip of your horn is gone! You’re anything but fine!” The doctor yelled.

Twilight just stared at him for a few seconds before rebutting, “I’ve had the tip of my horn missing and my torn ear for six years, and my missing eye for two. If there were any complications, I do believe that they would have presented themselves by now.”

Silence met her reply as the others just stared at her. Princess Celestia broke the silence.

“Twilight… my most faithful student… You’ve only been gone for six months, not six years.”

Twilight blinked in surprise, before blowing air out her nose and saying, “And here I thought that the wasteland couldn’t backhand me anymore than it already has. But nope! It just had to go and use time dilation of all things.”

She sat down and blew some of her mane out of her face. “And one month here equals to one year there? That’s just…” She trailed off.

Celestia didn’t quite understand what she meant by ‘wasteland’ and ‘time dilation’, but asked, “Where exactly was ‘there’?”

Twilight stopped messing with the dog tags around her neck and looked at everypony in the room. Even the doctor was waiting for her answer.

“I’d prefer it if I talked about this in front of everypony else, that way I won’t have to repeat myself.”

Celestia smiled and nodded. “Of course. You can talk about it all with your friends in the Dining Hall…”

Twilight’s face lit up as she stood up.

“…after you finish up here.”

Twilight promptly fell back onto her rump, a grimace on her face.

=-=-=-=-=
Outside the Royal Dining Hall
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
One hour later
=-=-=-=-=

“You promise to keep your weapons in the side pocket?” Shining asked, concerned.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Yes, I promise.” She continued as she fixed the position of a leather strap. “Only an idiot flings about their weapons. I’ve used these for almost six years now, I know what to do and what not to do.”

“Like what?” Princess Luna tilted her head.

“Like using the iron sights of your SMG as a backscratcher.” Twilight chuckled. “Best part was it was a friend that did that.”

“What did you do to help?” Celestia asked.

“Nothing,” Twilight cut Celestia off before she could chide her. “I needed the laugh. That place was more depressing than Michael Barrymore’s career.”

Blank stares greeted that statement. Twilight rolled her eye and said something about explaining later. With a pause, she opened the door only to find pitch black within, which was odd, considering that the dining hall had very large stained glass windows opened to the world. Her Pipboy read at most twelve non-hostiles. Realizing what it was, Twilight walking three feet into the room and sat down.

“SURPRISE!”

The lights flicked on and ponies jumped out from behind pillars and tables with large smiles on their faces. Twilight feigned surprise with a look on her face and a small jump. She smiled back at them, the smiles there faded when their owners took in her appearance. The only pony still smiling was-

“Oof!”

“OhTwilightI’mhappytoseeyou!Youweregonebutnowyou’rebackandIwasalllikeGASPthensadnessthen-“

Pinkie Pie continued to talk with a heavily muffled voice, even after Twilight stuck her hoof in her mouth.

“Pinks, I’d greatly appreciate it if you would stop talking long enough for me to get a word in edgewise.”

At Pinkie’s nod, Twilight removed her hoof, with Pinkie still sporting her large smile. After a few seconds of nothing happening, Twilight wrapped her in a bear hug that would make Mr. Grizzly cringe, and not because of his back problems. Pinkie quickly hugged her friend back, sending off some loud pops from Twilight’s spine.

“Gah!” Twilight let go and rubbed the back of her neck. “Thanks, Pinkie. I really needed that.”

“You’re welcome!” Pinkie exclaimed. She looked back at the other ponies in the group, all of which were looking at Twilight in shock… maybe even a little bit of fear. Pinkie wrapped a hoof around Twilight’s neck and said, “Come on everypony! Sure she may have a missing eye and a torn ear, but it’s still Twilight!”

That seemed to do the trick as ponies shook their heads and surrounded the mare. They all welcomed her back and were asking her how she got her injuries. Rainbow Dash and Applejack were wearing the same looks that Shining got in the Everfree Forest. Rarity fainted at the sight of Twilight’s complexion, while Fluttershy just whimpered at how scary and intimidating her friend looked.

“Twilight!” A voice shouted from the edge of the group. The group parted to show-

“Cadance!”

The two mares trotted up to each other and said together, “Sunshine sunshine, ladybugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake!”

They started laughing together and embraced one another with large smiles on their faces. Their hugging was interrupted Twilight’s parents running forwards and practically smothered their daughter with love. Twilight tried to push them off, but even with her improved strength it was futile.

“Twi… Twilight?” A soft voice spoke.

The ponies moved aside to show-

“Spike…”

The now-a-little-taller drake looked around awkwardly and eyed his older sister in disbelief and confusion. He took a few careful steps forward… before sprinting and embracing Twilight. Sobs and sniffles could be heard from the dragon. Twilight hugged Spike back, tears falling from her eye.

“Please tell me you’re real…” A muffled spoke said.

Twilight looked at her parents in confusion with her mom mouthing, I’ll explain later. Twilight nodded and hugged Spike tighter.

“Of course I am, Spike.” Twilight replied softly.

“…and you promise not to go away again?”

Twilight smiled softly. “Of course I do.”

Spike released his hold on his sister and smiled with tear-stung eyes. He hopped onto her back and laid down on his, and spoke with a voice barely holding back a hiccup, “I’m hungry, anyone else hungry?”

There was a collective laugh from the group as they went to the mountains of food for a rather unhealthy lunch. As they ate, Twilight opened conversation with a question,

“Now,” Twilight began, with most of the ponies having stopped eating to listen. “I’m sure that most of you in here are wondering why I look so much older than I should be.”

There was a nod from all of the ponies, and dragon.

Twilight continued, “First, a question: Who here knows what time dilation is?”

Surprisingly, it was Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash answering the question at the same time.

“Time dilation, in the Theory of Relativity, is an actual difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from gravitational masses.”

There were collective blinks from all of the ponies there. Twilight said, “Uh… Yes, that’s exactly right. How did…”

“We were required to take a Physics and Aerodynamics course when we went to High Flyer’s Academy for Pegasi.” Responded Rainbow Dash.

More blinks.

Twilight shook her head and said, “Well then. To explain further, and with simpler terms, time dilation is where time moves at different speeds at different locations. For example, let’s say that time is moving normally where we’re sitting right now.”

There was a collective nod from everypony.

“Alright, now let’s say that time is moving five minutes faster over by the throne for every one minute here. If a pony was sitting here and five minutes had passed for them, over at the throne, a pony sitting around there was have had twenty-five minutes pass for them. Everypony following?”

More nods.

“Good. In my case, the dilation was very extreme. The reason why I look more like a fully grown mare is because I am one.” Murmuring passed through the assembled ponies as Twilight spoke over them. “In my case!” The murmuring stopped, and Twilight lowered her voice back to normal levels.

“In my case, the reason why I am now a fully grown mare is because for every one month here in Equestria, one full year had passed where I was at. So instead of being six months older like I should be, I am actually-”

“…six years older.” Twilight Velvet finished.

Twilight Sparkle nodded, which caused her mother to let out a filly like squeal of excitement.

“Oh I have some the cutest dresses at home that you can wear! We can even go shop-”

Twilight interrupted, “Not now, mom. Maybe later okay? Right now I just want to get started on my story.”

Her mother blushed then nodded and followed her daughter back to the table to sit with the others.

“Now then, where to begi-”

Pinkie Pie shouted, “Cliffhanger!”

Author's Note:

Anyone else notice how I'm not rushing into the story??? That's some big@$$ time dilation ain't it!?

As usual, leave a comment letting me know what you think!