• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 10,305 Views, 666 Comments

That Others May Live - CptBrony



Two USAF Pararescuemen must search through an unknown land to find their charge and make it back home alive.

  • ...
45
 666
 10,305

PreviousChapters Next
Local Culture

Local Culture

When everyone woke up, they felt refreshed and ready to tackle a day of exploring the locale and seeing the sights. The Nighthawks’ plans were cut short, though, when they were called to an emergency meeting in Canterlot for all Air Guard Special Operations Forces. That left the men and Amel alone to see what the small town of Ponyville had to offer.

Amel was ecstatic to see the men when she came down for breakfast and saw them sitting at the table. Amel ran to Frost and gave him a big hug, saying how happy she was that he was okay, and gave Duke a pleasant hello and good morning.

Duke sipped his coffee. “So what is the town like, Amel?” he asked. “You went out yesterday, right?”

“I did,” Amel said proudly. “I met lots of wonderful ponies. There was one odd one, though, that followed me around for a while before talking to me. She was green, very light, like mint, and she stared at me intensely the whole time. She was asking a lot about you two, muttered something about a book, then ran off after thanking me for my time.”

“I see this world has its share of weirdos as well,” Frost commented.

“I think we already knew that, Frost,” Duke said. “What else happened, besides being stalked?”

“I went to the bakery, and there were many excellent treats there,” Amel said. “The pink mare from when we met Princess Twilight, Pinkie Pie, was there. I think she works there.”

“In government and small business,” Frost said. “Not a combo you find much at all back home.”

“She asked me if I was getting anything for you two,” Amel went on. “She said, ‘What do Pararescuemen Duke and Frost want?’ I was a little surprised that she remembered your names.”

“I’m more surprised that she knew our unit,” Duke said. “I don’t think we ever mentioned that to her.”

Amel thought for a moment. “Oh, you are right. I wonder how she knew?”

“Doesn’t matter much,” Frost said. “As long as she makes good food. I’ll have to go and see it later.”

“Yeah, how about we head on out?” Duke suggested. “The day is going, and we need to take whatever leisure time we can, whenever we can.”

Amel smiled. “Alright, let’s go out.”

The trio finished their food and went out on the town at around half past nine. The town was just getting into its daily routine, when everyone was out and about doing whatever they do. Some ponies would look at the trio as they passed, but most had gotten used to them pretty quickly. When they did get looks, they would simply nod to the onlooker and continue along their way.

Walking around, there were some immediate and distinct similarities to American society in the town. There was a burger joint that had an eerie similarity to everyone’s favorite Golden Arches, but with hay burgers instead of beef. There was also some serious competition among stores that sold similar items, all trying to outdo each other with lower prices. Ads were present throughout town, mostly as posters.

It was a small town, so the men knew there wouldn’t be a plethora of things to do. Still, they aimed to find something interesting. Dining would certainly be an option, testing the local culinary arts to see what they generally liked. Except for hay items, the men wouldn’t eat those. They found a bowling alley, which was nice, and they also passed the library again. Duke knew he would be going back there every so often.

“Walking around like tourists in New York is getting us nowhere,” Frost said.

“I agree,” Duke said back. “Let’s see if we can find something to try right now.”

“Or we could ask for directions,” Amel said. The men just looked at her like she was speaking a foreign language. “Ugh, stallions.”

“Come on, where’s your sense of adventure?” Frost asked.

“With the bottoms of my hooves, which might have fallen off somewhere behind us,” Amel replied.

Duke chuckled. “Alright, alright, we’ll ask somepony for directions.”

“Somepony?” Frost asked incredulously.

“Yes, Frost, somepony,” Duke said. “That’s what they say, so until we get back, let’s say it, too.”

“Sounds reasonable,” Frost said.

While the men were talking to each other, Amel walked over to a stallion working on something in his front yard and got directions to attractions. The stallion was happy to help, and pointed her toward a path into the forest, since she would be safe with the men, a rodeo field, an obstacle and strength course, some historical sites, and told her about the Zebra living in the forest named Zecora.

Amel returned to two waiting men. “He was very helpful,” she said. “He told me about several places.”

“Like?” Duke asked. Amel repeated what she was told. “Alright. I feel like taking a walk through the forest.”

“That sounds interesting,” Frost said.

“Then we will go to the forest!” Amel said chipperly.

The trio walked out of town and toward the forest in search of the path. When they eventually found it, they all paused outside it and stared. It was dark in the forest, darker than it had any right to be. The trees were tall and had lots of leaves, but not enough for the effect they were apparently having. Amel said that the forest was magical in some way, and that the weather was all acting on its own inside. It sounded natural to the men, but it wasn’t the norm for Equestria.

“That’s very dark,” Amel said with clear fear.

“It is,” Frost said. “Let’s go in!” He started walking at a quick pace to the forest so Amel couldn’t stop him quick enough.

“Frost!” Amel said. She looked to Duke.

“What?” Duke asked. “He’s my partner, not my man. I can’t make him stop.” Amel blushed as Duke walked in after his partner at his own pace, and Amel followed soon behind.

When they were in the forest, away from the entrance, their nightvision kicked in, and they could see in the darkness just enough. Frost put his hand son his hips as he tried to decide what direction to go; along the path, or off the path?

“Frost, stick to the path,” Duke shouted. “It probably isn’t safe otherwise, and we don’t have any weapons.”

‘Maybe we should leave, then,” Amel said. “Next time, come back with them so that it is safer.”

“You were sounding perfectly fine with this before,” Duke said.

“That was before it became so dark and dangerous,” Amel said.

“Don’t worry, little lady,” Duke said, patting Amel on the back. “We’re here, so nothing bad’s gonna happen. And even if something did, we know how to fix it, so it’s okay.”

“Can you fix an injury on my body?” Amel asked hopefully.

“We can do basic first aid and get you to a hospital,” Duke said. “It’s generally the same for you as us. I always carry a small med pack with me, in case such situations arise.”

“That is good to know,” Amel said.

Up ahead, Frost was growing impatient. “Hey, guys, come on! Let’s see where this leads!”

“No one is stopping you!” Duke shouted back.

“No, just how slow you guys are!” Frost yelled back.

Amel shook her head. “You men are strange,” she said.

“No different from any stallion,” Duke said.

Amel shook her head again. “Stallions,” she sighed definitively.

Duke and Amel caught up to Frost and they continued on through the forest. Nature sounds assaulted their ears from all sides, with the men looking for the sources with fascination and Amel searching with caution. Owls had taken a liking to swooping low overhead, which the men found to be quite fun. They would hoot loudly as they passed, sending Amel scurrying for cover next to Frost and draw the men’s eyes after the birds.

The path started wide, but grew narrower as they went on. Before it became too narrow, Amel positioned herself in between Frost and Duke, with Frost taking the front and Duke in the rear. In the distance, roars and moans of what were clearly large animals could be heard, finally sending a chill of serious caution through the men.

They kept walking until they found a clearing by a river and decided to take a short break for a bit. They had been walking for the better part of an hour, and Duke wanted to air out his feet for a bit. He knew better than to actually set them on the ground, what with a risk of hookworms or some other hellish monstrosity potentially around. He sat on a rock by the riverbed so he wouldn’t have to do a delicate balancing act.

“What a peaceful place,” Frost said, standing before the water and glancing around.

“It is,” Duke said. “Like when you go into those areas of national parks where most people don’t go. Following a guide, of course.”

“Of course,” Frost said with a chuckle.

“That hardly sounded peaceful back there,” Amel said.

“Don’t be such a scaredy mare,” Frost said. “I’m here, and so is Duke. You only have to outrun one of us to get out safely anyhow.” Amel was not amused by the joke.

“And you’re faster than us, naturally,” Duke added. “But that isn’t going to be necessary, because we do know how to avoid those situations. SERE school taught us that.”

Amel looked uneasily at them. “Okay.”

Duke put his boots on and looked out over the river. “Well, I suppose that we can jump on the rocks to get over,” he said.

“Or,” Frost said, putting his index finger into the air. “We can take that nice bridge over there.” Frost pointed at a spot a ways behind Duke.

Duke looked behind and saw the bridge. “Well, alright then.”

The trio moved on to the bridge and examined it before crossing. It was a big, sturdy stone bridge, and it looked relatively new, which seemed odd. The path itself was obviously quite old, so unless an old bridge was demolished, it didn’t make much sense. No one gave it too much thought, though. It was better that there was a bridge.

“Seems safe,” Duke said.

Duke and Frost walked side by side across the bridge, with Amel to Frost’s other side. The stone clicked and clacked beneath their feet and hooves. It was well-polished granite, designed with flat spots for hooves rather than curved all the way for human feet. The men hardly noticed, but it was an incredibly annoying feature while they walked.

Frost tapped Duke on the shoulder. “So, Duke, what was that thing you wanted to ask Luna that-”

Suddenly, the water to the right side of the bridge exploded upwards and showered the trio, soaking them and nearly knocking them down. Amel held onto Frost’s pants to stay up, while Frost held Duke, and Duke held the side of the bridge. When the water cleared, before them towered a huge, dragon-like creature from the water with a ridiculous orange mustache and hair and purple scales.

“HALT!” he shouted. The trio looked up at him, completely shocked. “Answer me, these questions three, then the other side ye see!”

Frost grinned and stepped forward in a heartbeat. “Ask me your questions, bridgekeeper, I’m not afraid!”

Duke regained his composure and looked at his partner. “Really, now?” he asked. Frost ignored him.

“What... is your name?” the creature asked.

“Jack McDaniel!” Frost replied. Amel’s ears perked up at hearing that little fact.

“What... is your quest?” the creature asked.

“To complete our secret mission!” Frost replied. Behind him, Duke had his face in his hand and he was shaking his head at the unbelievable situation.

“What... is the capital of Saddle Arabia?” the creature finished.

“Akhal Teke!” Frost replied. The creature blinked.

“Most get that one wrong,” he said.

“We were just there not long ago,” Frost explained.

“Ah, I see,” the creature said. “Well, I guess you three can pass. I wasn’t really going to stop you anyhow.”

“Thank you,” Frost said. “Before we go, though, what’s your name?”

“I’m Steven Magnet,” the creature replied. “Toodaloo!” With that, the random river serpent disappeared back into the water. The trio finished passing over the bridge and continued on.

“That was unexpected,” Frost said.

“You don’t need to tell me,” Duke said, still sighing at what just transpired.

“Handled it like a pro, though, if I may say so myself,” Frost replied.

“I swear, you’re more suited for this... cartoon world, than ours,” Duke said.

“But what would you do without me?” Frost asked jokingly.

Duke smiled. “Honestly, now? Not a clue.” Amel stayed quiet while they exchanged banter.

She stayed quiet for the remainder of the walk through the forest. The men were always looking around and pointing at cool or interesting things, while she thought. Frost’s name was actually Jack McDaniel. Had she ever heard that before? Thinking about it, she never had.

The trio marched on through the forest. There no signs telling them where to go, but the men had learned extremely high level navigation skills in Air Force SERE, and they could, at the very least, remember their way out of the forest. They were also sticking to the paths, so there was that to guide them home.

After a while longer of walking, they came across an old, odd tree. It was very gnarled all over, like it had been shaped. The thought that it had been shaped was reinforced by the presence of a door and windows, and several masks outside that looked like they were from ancient Africa.

“Who would live out here?” Amel asked in shock.

“Someone with some serious grit,” Frost commented. “And the ability to fend off anything that came by.”

“Let’s knock, see who’s home,” Duke suggested. The group walked up to the door.

Duke knocked three times on the door and they all waited. When the door was answered, the individual standing before them in the door was as surprised as them. She was a zebra, living deep in an enchanted forest with no one else around. Past her, the trio could see alchemical supplies and potions all over the place.

And the zebra was as surprised to see them as they were to see her. She just stood there, staring, until finally, she regained her composure.

“I see I have unexpected guests,” she said. “I am Zecora, and you caught me in one of my rests.”

“Terribly sorry,” Frost said. “We were just exploring the forest and came across your home. Thought we would see who had the balls to live out here.”

“I assure you, you will find no balls here,” Zecora replied. “Though I do host the occasional deer.” Duke raised an eyebrow.

“I see... so, uh, what do you do out here?” he asked.

“I do many things in this place of nature,” Zecora said. “Come inside, do not be a stranger.” Zecora turned and walked in, leaving the door open for the trio to follow. They did, and inside, they sat down around a small table.

The inside of the house was, honestly, a little bit creepy. Zecora had more of those masks everywhere, staring at the group with empty eyes, like they were going to steal their souls. The pot of brew, whatever it was, smelled awful, like death.

“This is weird,” Frost said while their host was gone.

“I am scared,” Amel said.

“Well, the door is always there if we need to make a break for it,” Duke said.

Zecora came back. “That will not be necessary, new friends,” she said, having overheard. “You are not some means to an end.”

“Good to hear,” Frost said. “Why do you speak in rhymes?”

“A rhyme when I speak?” Zecora asked. “I assure you, I am no poetry geek.”

“That doesn’t even make sense,” Duke muttered, looking up at unknown forces.

“Anyway, I am glad you came by, for it is good to meet humans who are not shy,” Zecora said.

“You’ve met a human before?” Duke jumped in, suddenly excited.

“Indeed I have,” Zecora said. “But first, let me pour you some soup, to fatten those calves.”

The trio pondered the odd rhymes while Zecora poured them soup from the pot that smelled like death. For just a second, the coming brew distracted Duke from his thoughts on the other human he had been hearing about, but they returned quickly, and he looked intently at the zebra. Frost and Amel, meanwhile, were already chattering away next to him.

“Here you go,” Zecora said, setting several bowls of soup on the table. “Just be sure to take it slow.”

“Will do,” Frost said. he took a sip. “It’s pretty good.”

“Thank you for your words so nice,” Zecora said. “The ingredients are quite pungent, but have a tasty spice.”

“It is good!” Amel said after she tasted it.

Duke didn’t take a sip yet, though. “You said you met a human before?” he asked of Zecora.

“Indeed I did,” Zecora said. “Though I must say, he was quite off the grid.”

“What did you know of him?” Duke asked.

“In a land far away, he was born in darkness,” Zecora began. “When he came here, he was known as Harkness. His name escapes me, for some reason, but I know that knowledge of him is not in season.”

“Not very successful information hunting, eh?” Duke asked.

“The information is hard to find, but if you do, your mind it will grind,” Zecora said. “With certainty, you heard of him some time, but not certainly, you know the nature of the crime.”

“Crime?” Duke asked.

“I remember not what happened, exactly” Zecora said, shaking her head. “But I know that it happened very, very sadly. He suffered in your world, came back in ours, and disappeared from here, followed by special powers.”

“He went home?” Duke asked. Frost and Amel were listening now.

“I do not know what he did,” Zecora said. “My minds draws blank, the information is rid.”

“Dammit,” Duke muttered.

“All is not lost, for nothing is destroyed,” Zecora said. “I know who can help you, though you, they will avoid.”

“Why?” Duke asked.

“Harkness went away with secrets abound,” Zecora said. “He would not be happy, were they spread all around.”

“This Harkness character,” Frost said, leaning onto the table. “What did he do here?”

“I know nothing of that, never did I know,” Zecora said. “Nor can I say who would, as it was long ago.”

Duke leaned back and put his hands on the ground behind him to steady himself. This Harkness character had been most influential here, it sounded. Perhaps influential to the point where the princesses would be familiar with him. Duke had missed his chance to learn what they knew of him, but there was a good bet they knew more about him than they would likely admit.

Whatever he did, it may have influenced the ponies’ policies towards humans in Equestria from that point on.

“Thank you, Miss Zecora,” Duke said. He stood up. “You’ve been very helpful.”

“Where you going?” Frost asked, still sitting.

“I have a few things I need to go check on,” Duke said. “Feel free to stick around.”

Frost shrugged. “Alright. See ya later.”

Duke nodded to his partner, Amel, and Zecora, then turned and left. This visit had turned out to be more than exploration of some forest; it potentially added a whole new level of complexity to the mission. One that could have gone back years, even a decade or more. And Duke was determined to get to the bottom of it before they left.

At this point... if they left.

PreviousChapters Next