• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 1,908 Views, 49 Comments

Twilight and Rainbows Kismet - Emerald Sky



Twilight has had feelings that go beyond Friendship for Rainbow Dash for a while now, but she has been to nervous to act on them. will RD Feel the same way about her? (Sorry if this is a bad read, it's my first Fanfic I have written)

  • ...
10
 49
 1,908

Chapter 4

Twilight climbed out of the shower and started to dry herself off with a towel that was on a railing near by, she had just completed her morning routine. She opened the curtains and looked out of the window of her bathroom to see the sun sitting low in the sky. Recently it had been a common sight for her too see it so low in the sky, due to her nightmares and lack of sleep.

The lavender unicorn turned away from the window and used her magic to dry the towel, a trick she had learnt at an early age in Canterlot. She placed the towel back on the railing and turned back to the window and sighed. ‘Ponyville is so peaceful in the mornings, especially since nopony is up this early.’ Twilight turned around and headed for the bathroom door so that she could begin her day.

Twilight made her way down the stairs to the central room of her library and made her way into the kitchen to make herself some breakfast. She proceeded to get two slices of bread from her bread bin and popped them in her toaster. While waiting for the bread to be toasted she put the kettle on and made herself a cup of coffee. A few minutes later and the toast popped out of the toaster. Twilight grabbed it with her magic and placed them onto a plate.

Twilight took a seat at her kitchen table and grabbed a jar of jam from the top cupboard in her kitchen and proceeded to spread it onto her toast. Twilight was just about to take a bite out of her breakfast when she heard a knock on the door.

‘Who the hay could that be. Nopony is usually up at this time in the morning.’ Twilight made her way out of the kitchen and towards the front door, she unlocked it and opened it to find that nopony was there. Twilight took a step out of the library and looked around before turning around and walking back into her library muttering something about wasting her time this early in the morning.

The lavender unicorn returned to the breakfast table and hastily finished her meal, she placed her plate into the sink leaving it to be cleaned later on in the day. She then entered the central room and grabbed a random book from the pile on her desk and sat down and tried to read, but no matter how much she tried she couldn't get into the book so she tried to grab another and read but it had the same effect. Twilight was lying on her back staring at the ceiling in boredom, she flailed her legs and huffed and groaned in disappointment.

Her mind started to flood with images of the dreams she had been having, the lavender unicorn shook her head to try and rid her of the images that had been haunting her dreams.

‘I need to get some air and take a walk to take my mind away from these thoughts.’ Twilight rolled back over and stood up and headed out of the door, she turned left and trotted in the direction of the park.

As Twilight was trotting through Ponyville she started to see the first signs of ponies waking up. Some were going out to their mailboxes to check if they had received anything letters or bills, others were just starting to make their way to work. The lavender mare waved and greeted all who passed her way.
‘Even though Ponyville is nice, quiet and peaceful, I do miss Canterlot sometimes.’ Twilight mused.

Twilight spotted the first of the weather pegasi leaving Ponyville’s weather hub building. “Hey Cloud Chaser! what’s the schedule for today?” Twilight called out before Cloud Chaser took off.

“Oh hey Twilight, It’s clear skies most of the day. We do have to organize a storm for this evening though so make sure all your windows are secure.” The lilac pegasus said as she hovered over the ground. “Anyways, I better head out before I get yelled at for slacking. See ya!” she said before catching up with the rest of the weather team.

“Bye!” Twilight called back before continuing her walk to the park. ‘This is exactly what I needed, some fresh air. Maybe I do need to get out more. I could bring a book and read under a tree. I mean Spike can look after the library when I’m out, As long as the library doesn't get wrecked again that is.’ Twilight mused to herself.

Twilight reached the entrance to the park and stopped to take in the sight of it; the park had just been re-designed, three new flower beds had been planted, one to represent each of the princesses. The first was filled with bluebells and larkspurs and speckled with violets to represent Princess Luna. The next was filled with white and yellow daffodils and daisies arranged in the pattern of Princess Celestia’s cutie mark, and the final flower bed was filled with rhododendrons and carnations in the colours of Princess Cadance.

Twilight smiled at the sight of the flower beds as she walked past them. ‘The gardeners have really outdone themselves this time.’ Twilight walked past the flower beds and took a seat by the small lake which was in the center of the park.

Twilight let out a sigh of content as she sat and watched the world go by.‘Okay how am I going to go about telling Rainbow my feelings for her, I can’t just walk up to her and tell her. Or can I? Or maybe I should do some big romantic gesture like write a love song or poem... No that sounds stupid, Rainbow wouldn’t like that. I could just hint at it until she asks me out? That way I could avoid asking her and getting nervous! No that is also a bad idea.’ What Twilight was currently unaware of though was the rainbow maned pegasus that was watching her cycle through expressions of thought and confusion and shaking her head every so often.

‘No the direct approach is probably the best idea. But what do I say to her, do I confess the feelings I have had for her or do I just ask her out on a date and see how it goes from there? Or should I just wing it, that’s what Rainbow would probably do. No this sort of thing takes planning, so when I get back I’ll figure out what I will say to her when I see her next!’

Rainbow Dash just sat next to Twilight on the park bench prodding her ribs and saying her name repeatedly trying to break her away from whatever was occupying her mind at the time.

“Twi!” Rainbow said her name louder and prodded her a little harder and suddenly she disappeared in a magenta flash and reappeared ten hooves in front and in the air, Rainbow watched as Twilight fell into the lake.

The lavender mare poked her head above the surface of the water and gave the cyan pegasus a death glare before climbing out, Rainbow just sat there giggling at the sight of her soaked her friend.

“Hey Twi you want another of my rain-blow dries?” Rainbow managed to say after her fit of giggles died down before starting up again up until the point where she was clutching her sides in pain from the laughter.

“No! No, I think I’m fine thank you.” Twilight surrounded herself in the magenta glow of her magic, and with extreme focus lifted all of the water that coated her and dropped it back into the lake.

Rainbow instantly stopped laughing and watched as Twilight performed her magic. “Wow! Twi that was awesome! where did you learn how to do that?” Rainbow exclaimed.

Twilight turned her head in an attempt to hide her blush. “Oh that, that was nothing, just a little trick I learnt from reading a book.” she said as she pawed the floor with her left hoof.

“Awesome. With magic like that I would want to show it off, not try and hide it like you do. Anyways what’s on your mind? I was trying to get your attention for awhile.” Rainbow hopped off of the bench and walked over to where Twilight was standing.

“Oh you know... Stuff!... Egghead stuff! Yeah stuff you would find boring.” Twilight’s eyes widened and she put on the most convincing smile she could muster.

“Okay then... So what are you doing out. Shouldn’t you be running the library?”

“Oh, I just needed some fresh air and to clear my mind so I thought a walk in the park would help me. So I assume it’s your day off today then?”

“No actually, but I finished clearing the sky ages ago. I don’t know why they even bother letting the other weather ponies work when I’m on duty, since I can clear the sky in ten seconds flat!” Rainbow said as she puffed her chest out.

The lavender mare giggled. “Probably because once you’ve cleared the skies the first time you go and have a nap, and then while you’re sleeping storm clouds drift in!”

“Hey that was one time! Well three... but it’s hard work being the most awesome pegasus in Equestria, I have to take time to nap! Talking about sleep, you kinda look a bit tired, are you alright Twi?”

“Oh don’t worry about me, I’ve just been up late studying again.”

“Like I’ve said before you need to lay off the books a bit, I mean Daring Do is awesome but I couldn’t imagine reading anywhere near as much as you do.”

‘Come on, now’s your chance to ask her out. All you have to say is ‘Rainbow you want to go out and get a meal with me sometime?’ one sentence and that’s it!’

“R-rainbow... I was j-just wondering...” Twilight stuttered out at a barely audible level.

“Yes Twi?”

“Um...” Twilight said, suddenly very interested in the ground.

“What is it?”

“Uh Don’t worry. Oh look at the time! I better get going. Bye!” Twilight blurted out at incredible speed which Pinkie Pie would be jealous of, before disappearing in a magenta flash and leaving a very confused Rainbow Dash standing by the lake.

Twilight re-appeared in the central room of the library and about five hooves in the air, she landed on the floor with a cacophonous crash. “Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.” The lavender unicorn said as she lay on her back in the center of the library.

Another audible crash was heard followed by another set of smaller thumps as Spike fell off of a ladder from which he was previously shelving books on, said books also landed on top of his head. “Ugh ouch. Morning Twilight. Where did you go this morning?” Spike scampered back onto his feet and started picking up the books that had just assaulted him.

“I just needed to go out and get some fresh air. I needed some time to think a few things through as well, I thought you could take care of everything when I had left.” Twilight surrounded herself in her magenta aura and flipped herself back onto her hooves.

“Oh okay, did you sort everything out?”

“Yeah, well I kinda did. Up until last minute that is.” The lavender unicorn to a seat at a nearby table and started swirling her hooves in circular motions on top of the table.

“Why what happened?” Spike started climbing up the ladder again with a stack of books just taller than him, he got about halfway before swaying left to right and falling back down onto the floor again.

Twilight started giggling at the sight of her dragon assistant falling to the ground “Oh don’t worry, nothing you need to worry about.”

“Twilight it’s obviously bothering you, please tell me?” Spike pleaded.

“Sorry Spike maybe another time. Anyways, do you want to start clearing that room out for you?” Before Twilight could get out another word Spike had shot up the stairs.

Twilight sighed then took in a deep breath and made her way up the stairs towards the spare room. ‘I’m never going to be able to tell Rainbow how I feel if I teleport away from her each time I get nervous.’

“Spike, I forgot to say, I will be going away with the rest of the girls this weekend and you will be going to Canterlot to visit the princess.” The lavender mare said as she entered the spare room where Spike was already moving the smaller items out.

“Canterlot? Why am I going there?” Spike looked over Twilight with a quizzical expression.

“I couldn’t say. Princess Celestia just said that she needed to have a word with you sometime in the near future, she didn’t give me an explanation. I’m going to write a letter once we finish telling her you’ll be going this weekend, maybe she can shed some light in a reply?” Twilight grabbed a couple spare tables and a telescope with her magic and began carrying them down towards another empty room down in the basement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spike lay in the center of his new room puffing and panting from all the “heavy” lifting he had done. “Wow I’m glad we got that done quickly. All that heavy lifting tired me out!”

“Spike you barely carried anything down, and then you stopped half way to have a nap and left me to do most the work!” Twilight said struggling to fit the spare bed through Spikes bedroom door frame, she finally squeezed it through and placing it by the far wall. “Anyway I know it isn’t much but we can get some more stuff in here once I get back from Manehattan.” The lavender mare said gesturing around the room.

“Don’t worry about that, I’m happy enough getting my own room!”. The baby dragon ran across the room and jumped on top of his new mattress, his face plastered with a massive grin.

“If you need me Spike I will be in my room okay?” The studious mare said as she left the room, she received a hum of conformation in return.

Twilight walked into her bedroom and opened the window slightly to let some fresh air in, she then proceeded to pull out a small box from beneath her bed. She climbed onto the bed and placed the box in front of her.

She opened the box and inside was her private diary and a few stray photo’s she liked to look at from time to time. The lavender mare searched and picked out the photo she was searching for, It was a picture of Rainbow Dash the day she won the best young flyers competition, Twilight lay there staring at the photograph tracing her hooves around the edge of it.

Twilight let out a sigh as she thought to herself. ‘Will she ever reciprocate my feelings for her. I doubt it, we’re two completely different ponies.’ Twilight let out another sigh getting lost in her own thoughts once more. ‘I’d probably be too boring for her I mean she likes to read, but nowhere near as much as I do, she probably wants somepony that could keep up with he-’ Twilight's thoughts were interrupted once more by Spike barging into her room.

The lavender mare panicked and tried to place the photo back into the box but it instead fell onto the floor topside down.

“Hey Twilight, what’s this?” Spike bent over and reached to pick up the photograph.

“Spike don’t touch that!”

Spike ignored Twilight and picked up the photo of Rainbow Dash, he smiled and looked over to Twilight. “So Twilight, what are you doing with a picture or Rainbow Dash?” his smile had transformed into a mischievous grin, even though he knew why she had the photo he couldn't miss out on the opportunity to tease Twilight.

Twilight shot Spike a death glare and grabbed the photo from his claws, with a face as red as a tomato from a mix of embarrassment and anger of Spike barging in. “Not a word! You understand, tell no one.”

The baby dragon gulped and mumbled a quick “Yes Twilight.” Not wanting to anger her any more he quickly evacuated the room.

Twilight placed the photo back into the box and pushed it back under her bed, she took a few breaths to calm herself down from her outburst and to try and rid her of the blush she was currently nursing.

Twilight left her room and headed downstairs to where Spike was currently situated, she sat on the couch opposite to where Spike was sitting. After sitting in the room for five minutes with no attempts at conversation and only a few coughs Twilight decided to talk.

“Spike I am sorry for lashing out like that, but could you please knock next time?”

“I will and I promise I won’t say a word, even though I kinda already knew.” Spike looked up from his feet and gave the lavender mare an apologetic look.

“How did you know?” Twilight’s eyes shot wide in panic. ‘The only person I told was Pinkie Pie, and she couldn't have possibly told Spike, she Pinkie Promised!’

“Twilight it’s kinda obvious from the way you act around her, I mean the amount of times I have seen you blushing when you two are talking is a dead give away.”

“Oh well *cough*. Spike fetch me some parchment and a quill, I need to write that letter to Princess Celestia.”

Spike quickly grabbed the stationery and handed it to Twilight. “Is there anything else you need?”

“No thanks Spike, I should be fine.”

Twilight levitated the parchment in front of her and tapped her hoof to her chin a couple time in thought before starting her letter.

Dear Princess Celestia

Not long ago you sent me a letter requesting Spike to see you when he had the free time, I hope this isn’t too short a notice but I am sending him to Canterlot this weekend so that you can have the talk that you wanted.

While Spike will be in Canterlot with you, I will be staying in Manehattan with the girls for the weekend so if you finish earlier than expected I would appreciate it if he stayed in the castle until I return back home to Ponyville.

As always, Your faithful student

Twilight Sparkle.

“There all done, it seems a little short but it will have to do. Spike could you send it for me?”

Spike took the scrolled up letter and engulfed it in his dragon breathe so that it would be sent directly to the Princess. “Is that all?”

“Yes Spike, you can have the rest of the day off.”

“Yes!” Spike rushed over to the front door and ran out, then came back in and said goodbye and proceeded to depart.

“Bye Spike!” Twilight said as she sat down at a table with her books and began to settle down and read for the rest of the day.