• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 1,906 Views, 49 Comments

Twilight and Rainbows Kismet - Emerald Sky



Twilight has had feelings that go beyond Friendship for Rainbow Dash for a while now, but she has been to nervous to act on them. will RD Feel the same way about her? (Sorry if this is a bad read, it's my first Fanfic I have written)

  • ...
10
 49
 1,906

Chapter 3

So far today had been a good day for Twilight, she had gotten all her chores done by mid-day, started reading the book on long distance teleportation (which had been in her ‘read later’ pile for far too long) and she even got to spend some time with her crush.

So when she saw the three monsters also known as the cutie mark crusaders, running away from the golden oaks library in her direction, she knew something had to of happened.

“Hey Twilight." The cutie mark crusaders said in unison without even stopping.

“He-”

“Bye Twilight." Shouted the three fillies, cutting Twilight off before she could even get one word out.

The lavender unicorn lifted her hoof up and rubbed her temple. “I should’ve expected this. Something always goes wrong and spoils my day." Twilight continued her trot back to her home with her mood considerably dampened.

As she arrived at the front door of her library, Twilight took a deep breath to compose herself so that she was prepared for any problem she might face when she opened the door.

The lavender unicorn opened the library door with her eyes firmly squeezed shut, she opened her eyes and audibly gasped at the sight. Literally every book in the library had been torn from the shelves and had been tossed into a pile as large as the mountain Canterlot was built on.

Twilight fell to her haunches, absolutely speechless.

“I-I-I can explain Twilight, i-it wasn’t my fault!” Spike pleaded to the lavender mare, but she still sat on her haunches speechless with her left eye twitching. Spike saw signs of her trying to speak but all Twilight could do is move her mouth up and down with no noise escaping.

Spike frantically started to pick books up and put them onto shelves, tripping over nearly every other step. He stopped and ran over to where Twilight was sitting and started to wave his arms in front of her face to try and break the trance, he repeatedly said Twilights name, the volume increasing every time he called to her.

The lavender unicorn blinked a couple times and shook her head vigorously, her horn lit up in her signature magenta glow as she started levitating the books from the pile, the books started swirling around Twilight and each time a book would pass in front of her eyes she would read the cover and levitate it over to the correct bookshelf.

“I’m sorry Twilight, I didn’t want this to happen”

“Don’t worry Spike”

“I tried to stop them but they wouldn’t listen to me.”

“Spike it’s alright I forgive you, it wasn’t your fault. I know how those fillies can be sometimes, remember this isn’t the first time they’ve made a mess of the library.” Twilight looked down to Spike and gave him a reassuring smile.

“Thanks Twilight. So where did you go earlier on? you never actually told me.”

“Oh I didn’t? well Rainbow asked me to help her with a new maneuver, you know the one that made her crash into the library in the first place”

“Oh. How could you possibly help Rainbow Dash with one of her tricks? you don’t even have wings!”

“I may lack wings Spike but flying isn’t just a physical activity. There is some math involved as well. I helped Rainbow figure out the right approach vector so that she wouldn’t crash, considering she kept coming in at a too steep an angle with too much velocity.”

“Sounds fun.” Said Spike voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Yes, yes it was rather fun.” said Twilight oblivious to Spikes sarcastic comment. “Actually I’m kind of hungry Spike. Would you mind making me a daisy sandwich?”

“Sure thing, I’ll be back in a second Twilight.”

‘There all done, that was a lot quicker than I thought I was going to be’. Twilight turned around to grab her book on advanced teleportation from earlier when she realized that she accidentally put all of her ‘read later’ books back onto the shelves.

‘Oh pony feathers. Lucky I made a list of the books I had on that pile.’ Twilight walked over to her desk and opened the top draw and the first thing she saw within it was her medal from the running of the leaves.

She levitated the medal up in front of her face and her mind flooded full of happy memories of that day. She remembered how fun it was to compete in one of Ponyville’s many traditions and she also remembered Rainbows look of disbelief and shock when she beat her in the race. Twilight started giggling at this fond memory of hers, one of many she had gained since moving to Ponyville.

“Twilight here’s your sandwich. Hey what are you giggling at?”

“Thanks Spike. Oh nothing really, just found my medal from last year and it brought back some good memories.” Twilight put the medal back into the draw and pulled out her list, while taking a bite out of her sandwich she scanned the shelves and plucked the books that were on her list off and placed them onto her desk.

“There everything back to how it was before” Twilight trotted over to her reading cushion and laid down and then glanced up at the clock. “Oh boy is that the time! I wanted to go see Rarity today. I better head over there now”

“Did you just say you were going to Rarity’s!? can I come?” Spike practically shot over the table and appeared by Twilights side once hearing the prospect of being able to see his crush.

“Sorry Romeo, I need to talk to Rarity about some personal issues. Maybe you can come next time I visit?”

“Aaaw fine” Spike dejectedly walked back over to where he was sitting before and sulked, staring at the table in annoyance.

“Bye Spike, I won’t be too long.” Twilight opened the door and headed towards Rarity’s boutique.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Twilight arrived at Rarity’s boutique fairly quickly (considering it wasn’t that big of a distance to travel). She walked up to the door and gave it two light taps hoping Rarity was within earshot to hear them.

“Coming!” came the muffled voice of Rarity through the front door. Rarity quickly opened the door and upon seeing Twilight she relaxed to be more informal since she is in the company of a friend rather than a potential customer. “Oh hello Twilight darling, how nice of you to come by.” Rarity moved to the side and motioned for Twilight to enter the boutique.

“Hello Rarity, it’s nice to see you”

“Yes, it has been a while since I saw you last." Rarity said as she closed the door to the boutique, she then trotted next to where Twilight was standing. “Please take a seat in the other room while I go make us some tea." Rarity gestured to a doorway which led to the living room.

Twilight trotted through the doorway and took a seat on the couch. Getting slightly bored by the amount of time Rarity was taking. She decided to look around the room at the various trinkets and photos placed on the tables, fireplace and walls. She even spotted the same photo that she had on her mantelpiece on Rarity’s. She stopped her scanning of the room when she heard hoofsteps approaching. She turned her head to see Sweetie Belle in the doorway with her eyes wide in surprise.

Sweetie Belle sprinted across the room and was on her knees begging Twilight to forgive her.
“Twilight, pleeease don’t tell Rarity that we wrecked your library. I’m so so so sorry please forgive me!”

Twilight looked down to see the most heart wrenching face known to pony. “Sweetie Belle don’t worry that’s not why I’m here.” chuckled Twilight.

“Its not?” Sweetie Belle stood up, her facial expression changing from one of pleading to confusion.

“No it isn’t. But I do accept the apology nevertheless.”

“Oh, well then why are you here?”

“To see me of course." Rarity said as she walked into the room while levitating two cups of tea. “Now Sweetie, would you kindly leave the room so that me and Twilight here can catch up? Maybe you could go out and visit the rest of the crusaders?”

“I can’t. Applebloom promised to help Applejack with the chores this evening and Scootaloo got caught by her parents. She was grounded and wasn’t meant to be out. Thats the whole reason I came back here!”

Rarity grabbed her purse from the table next to the sofa and levitated a few bits out and passed them to Sweetie Belle. “Then take this and grab a milkshake or something at sugar cube corner.”

“Milkshakes usually cost a little more than that.” Said Sweetie Belle with a mischievous smile spread across her lips. Rarity just rolled her eyes and dropped a few extra bits into Sweetie Belles saddle bag.

“There, thats all you’re getting for today.” Rarity called to Sweetie Belle as she ran out of the room. “Now Twilight dear, how was your day?” Rarity walked over to the sofa opposite Twilight and sat down, lifting the cup of tea up to her lips using her magic and taking a sip.

“Not bad I guess. I got a lot done today. Did my shopping for the week, visited Pinkie Pie, did a little light reading and I helped Rainbow with a little problem she had. Oh, and then there was the fiasco at the library. So all in all a good day. How was yours?”

“Oh you know, the usual. I had to complete a few orders so that they could be shipped off to Canterlot by tomorrow and I worked on a few new design ideas I came up with over the weekend. Not that it’s any of my business, but what problem did Rainbow Dash have?”

“Oh nothing serious, she was just having a little trouble working out her descent angle to speed ratio.”

“Well that doesn’t seem like anything Rainbow Dash would have a problem with.” Rarity stated with an eyebrow raised, the gears in her brain rotating to try and figure out what Twilight had just said.

“Well everypony has trouble with something they enjoy doing or are good at. At one point or another even you must of had a lack of inspiration for a dress.” Twilight watched Rarity, who was currently staring at the wall in thought. Rarity suddenly smiled and giggled leaving Twilight a tad confused. “What’s so funny?”

“Oh, nothing.” Rarity snickered.

“Fine don’t tell me.” Twilight looked away from Rarity and pouted.

“Don’t worry Twilight dear, you’ll find out soon enough” Twilight didn’t like the grin that was plastered on her face when she spoke. “Anyway I was just thinking earlier on that it has been a while since us mares all got together. What do you say we arrange a night out soon?”

“A night out? What, like a meal?”

“No, something a little more exciting than that. I was thinking more of going to some clubs!”

“A club? Wow Rarity, I didn’t think you were one for the club scene. No offence.”

“Twilight even a lady has to blow off steam occasionally. No, I don’t go often infact I have only been once or twice really, but I did enjoy it while I was there. And I think it would be a good thing for you to try.”

“You say that like I have never been to a club.”

“Well Twilight dear I think it’s safe to assume that you haven’t.”

“Well you’re wrong, I have been. And you shouldn’t just assume I haven’t just because I’m not as socially active as others.” Twilight said taking slight offence in Rarity’s words.

“Sorry Twilight, I just didn’t expect somepony as...” Rarity paused for a second trying to find the right words in the situation she got herself into. “Well read as you would ever step hoof in a club. Anyway when did this happen, because I assume it happened sometime after you moved here to Ponyville.” Rarity finished the rest of her tea and placed it back onto the table, she then proceeded to levitate the teapot from the kitchen to refill her cup.

“Well you know after my brothers wedding princess Celestia requested to talk to me and I stayed a couple extra nights in Canterlot?” Rarity gave a nod, showing that she remembered what happened (who couldn’t especially after the changeling invasion made it so memorable).
“Well in truth all she wanted to do was have a little chat to me which didn’t take longer than an hour or so. The rest of the time I spent with Vinyl Scratch. She was the dj for the wedding.”

“Oh yes I know her, I hired her to do my fashion show remember? May I ask how you two met?”

“Well I had a chat with her when she started setting up for the wedding and that’s when I asked her if it was okay if I were to sing at some point. That’s how we initially met anyway, the morning after I ran into her and she somehow convinced me to stay another night and go to a club with her.”

“Well you will have to take us to the club you visited when we go to Canterlot.”

“Actually while we were out Vinyl actually said that Manehattan was a lot better for the club scene. She even has her own club set up there.”

“Well then why don’t we go there instead?”

“I guess I could do with a weekend off... and it has been a while since I blew off some steam.” Twilight said tapping her hoof to her chin, still contemplating whether or not to go.

“Well I will inform the rest of the girls tomorrow .I’m sure Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie won’t say no, Applejack might take a bit of convincing to have a weekend off from her farm, although she’s mostly working in the market this time of the year. And I’m sure if Fluttershy will go after a little convincing. Ooh this is going to be so fun!”

“Then I’ll have to close the library for the weekend, but the princess did request to see Spike whenever he had time to spare so this kind of works out perfectly. And if I remember correctly trains heading in that direction set off at mid morning to late afternoon, so shall we all meet at the station at around 11:45am?”

“Sounds great.” Rarity said while clapping her hooves together in excitement.

“Okay I better head back home now, I want to finish of this book I started reading.” Twilight got up from the sofa and headed out and towards the entrance of the boutique. Rarity followed behind so that she could see Twilight out.

“Goodbye Twilight dear, see you soon and if not I will see you on saturday!”

“Goodbye Rarity. It has been nice talking with you.”

The lavender unicorn turned around and headed back to her home, with the sun hanging low in the sky. Twilight was just in sight of her tree home when she started getting a funny feeling.
‘I feel like I've forgotten something.’
Her hoof gently collided with her face and she groaned.
‘I can’t believe I forgot to ask Rarity for advice about asking Rainbow out. Well it’s too late to go back and ask her now. I will just have to go back sometime this week or something.’

Twilight opened the door to the library and was welcomed by the smell of food being prepared, she wandered towards the source of the scent which was the kitchen. As she entered she saw Spike in his frilly apron he always wears while cooking. “Wow Spike that smells delicious, what are you making?”

“Oh this? just a mix of grilled vegetables with a side of tomato salsa, saw it in one of our cookbooks and thought we should try it.”

“How long will it be? I’m starving.” Twilight trotted over to her kitchen table and started laying out plates and cutlery, she took her seat at her usual spot at the end of the table.

“I was actually just about to dish up.” Her dragon assistant moved the vegetables from the pan and laid them onto the plate, he spooned some salsa onto the side and placed the plate in front of the lavender unicorn.

Twilight waited for Spike to sit down before digging into her meal. “Wow this is delicious Spike!”

“Thanks I wanted to make up for the library incident.”

“I told you it wasn’t your fault, there was no need to do this especially for that, but thank you anyway.”

“Still it was no problem.”

“Well I appreciate it nonetheless.” Twilight quickly ate down the rest of her meal and placed her dish into the sink. “Spike I’m going to my room to do some reading tonight. Oh and in the morning can you help me clean out the spare room and move all the stuff down to the basement to be stored?”

“Why are we moving the stuff from the spare room, do we have visitors?” Spike said, curious as to why Twilight decided to suddenly move out the stacks of supplies and random furniture from the room.

“No we don’t have any visitors coming, but I was thinking that you’re a little too old to be staying in my room, so I’m giving you the spare room!”

“I’m getting my own room!” The baby dragon ran up to Twilight and gave her the tightest hug he could muster. His face plastered with the biggest grin Twilight had ever seen. “Thanks Twilight, you’re the best!”

Spike let go of the lavender unicorns leg and ran off to finish off some odd chores. Twilight walked over to her desk, grabbed her book and headed up to her room to do some evening reading while she still had time.

Twilight lit a candle on her bed side table using her magic, she then walked over to her bed made sure everything was neat and proceeded to climb on and lie down. She levitated the book and placed it in front of her so that it was easier to read. Twilight flicked through the pages trying to find out where she stopped reading last time considering she didn’t place her book mark in it earlier in the day.

The studious mare found the page she was looking for and proceeded to read from where she left off. It wasn’t long before she started to grow tired, her head dipping every so often when she closed her eyes.

‘Come on, just one more chapter. I’ve stayed up later than this reading before!’ Twilights brow furrowed and eyes squinted in concentration in an effort to stay awake. She made her way through the next line before she fell asleep face first on her book.

The exhausted lavender unicorn awoke twenty minutes later with a small pool of drool on the book and a blanket draped over her back. ‘Spike must have came in not long ago and put this here, I must remember to thank him in the morning. Okay I’m officially too tired to read, this will have to wait till morning.’ Twilight placed the book on her nightstand and crawled under her covers, she then proceeded to extinguish her candle. Stray thoughts of the day and spending time with Rainbow drifted through Twilight’s mind as she drifted off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The girls were sat on a picnic blanket on top of a hill on the outskirts of Ponyville, enjoying the beautiful mid afternoon sun which drifted lazily through the sky just hitting the midway point of it’s journey.

“Oh oh. The other day this really fancy couple came into the store meanwhile I was out back baking this massive cake for a upcoming party I had literally just finished icing it so I decided I should get it out of the way before I bumped into it or something so I carried it out of the kitchen and into the front of the store so when I got out of the kitchen I started to wobble because the cake was super heavy! then I walked onto this patch of slippery icing and you’ll never guess what happened next! that fancy couple got right in the way! So I toppled over and the cake landed right on top of them! they were furious, and I was just there lying on the floor in a laughing fit!” Pinkie explained with over exaggerated movements.

Twilight sat listening to the story that Pinkie was telling, enjoying the time spent with her friends. Something that doesn’t happen often due to some of the groups busy schedule.

“I certainly have noticed rather a lot of people from Canterlot recently.” Rarity chimed in after her fit of giggles died down.

“Yes with the frequent visits from the princess’s, the noble’s of Canterlot have been drawn down here for a break from city life. From what I have gathered from my parents anyway.” Twilight replied to Rarity, then proceeding to grab an apple from the picnic basket and took a bite from it.

“Well the increase in tourists is certainly doin’ well for mah farm. Big Mac says we have a increase in profit of twelve percent already this year.” Applejack said with her mouth still full of apple pie.

Rarity gave Applejack a stern glare before speaking. “Well that’s marvelous Applejack, I have also had a flux in customers. I’m getting even more orders coming in from Canterlot. to be honest I’m not sure I can keep up with it all.”

“Well Fluttershy could always help you right? I mean you saw how well she made that dress for you!” Rainbow Dash said lazily hovering off the floor looking into the picnic basket looking for some food.

“Oh no I couldn’t possibly ask Fluttershy to help me out, she has her animals to take care of.”

“Oh don’t worry Rarity I can help out if you really need me to.” Fluttershy said in her usual quiet manner.

Twilight just sat idly listening and joining in on the conversation when suddenly she got a weird feeling, like something was missing. She checked her surroundings and then looked backed to her friends where only four of them sat. ‘Where in Equestria did Rarity go?’

“What’s the matter Twi? something wrong?” Rainbow Dash said noticing that the lavender mare was acting strangely.

“Where’s Rarity?” Twilight answered, with clear confusion in her voice.

“Who?” Replied Rainbow Dash giving Twilight a scrutinizing stare.

“Rarity, you know white unicorn, owns the boutique, doesn’t like getting dirty and the element of generosity!” Twilight said with even more confusion to why Rainbow had asked who she was.

“Sorry, don’t know who you’re on about.” Rainbow turned back around so that she could carry on talking to the rest of the group.

Twilight shook her head to try and pull herself together. ‘What in the name of Celestia is going on, this must be some sort of joke.’

Twilight looked back at the rest of her friends who were still conversing, she then got another feeling of unease, she looked around to determine what was wrong but couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary, until she looked over to where Ponyville was located and all that was there were rolling green hills.

Twilight looked back and forth between her friends and the space where Ponyville should have been. “Hey girls have any of you noticed that Ponyville is kinda gone?”

The four mares turned to face Twilight each with a confused look etched onto their face’s.

“Twilight are you okay?” Rainbow Dash said in a sincere worried voice.

“Yeah you seem to be acting a little odd.” Chimed in Fluttershy.

“Yeah you should probably lie down.” Added Pinkie.

“Okay girls this isn’t funny anymore, can you stop it with the joke?” Twilight asked with a nervous chuckle.

“Twilight what are ya on about?” Applejack said clearly confused to why Twilight was acting this way.

“Oh stop, you know! the illusion Rarity cast to hide Ponyville when she snuck off.” Twilight said gesturing in the direction of where Ponyville was once located, she then glanced back over to her friends and immediately jumped back. “Okay this is seriously not funny anymore! where is Fluttershy?!”

Twilight turned and began running back towards where Ponyville would have been. She glanced back at where her friends were sitting. She focused on them and saw that they were all there still. The lavender unicorn turned around to face away from the spot her friends were sat upon and she came face to face them, all just sat there eating as if nothing had happened.

‘This can’t be possible, I just ran the complete opposite direction!’ Twilight turned to face the spot where they once were to see nothing on top of the hill.

Suddenly Twilight was very aware of the uncomforting silence that surrounded her. The birds in the trees had stopped chirping, the wind ceased to blow the leaves and her friends had gone silent. Twilight turned around to glance back at everypony and her eyes immediately widened in shock, she took a couple hoofsteps back because what she saw scared her.

What lied in front of her were five ponies, not her friends but five blank templates of ponies, all a ghostly grey, none with manes, wings or horns but the worst thing was that they had no face. They all suddenly snapped their heads forward to face Twilight and slowly started their menacing approach.

The world was slowly draining itself of colour, the lush blues and greens of Equestria slowly turning to malicious greys and blacks. Twilight tried to keep her distance from the blank Ponies taking one step back every time they took one step forward until her back hoof slipped off the edge as the land suddenly came to a halt, what Twilight saw when she turned her head to look was a sheer drop off of a rocky cliff, at the bottom of the cliff lay a blanket of water viciously assaulting the cliff face pulverizing some parts where it hit.

The lavender mare turned around to find that the menacing ponies had got even closer, never ceasing their slow approach, Twilight dreaded to think what was going to happen once they reached her. Twilights back hoof slipped off of the edge once more, she tried to regain her footing only for the ground to crumble under her other hoof, Twilights whole rear end was dangling over the edge of the cliff, she was barely keeping her grip with her front hooves.

Twilight started to lose her gripping on the ground and started slowly sliding off of the cliff. “No no no no no no no no, Please help me!” She called out at random, in hope that some random pony could save her.

The menacing ponies were only a hoof or two away from Twilight when suddenly they all raised up onto their hind legs and slammed down on the ground in front of them all at once, the force of the impact shattered the earth beneath their hoofs.

The whole world seemed to slow down as Twilight fell down to her demise, all she could do is watch as the cliff face grew further and further away as her descent into the hungry ocean grew.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight shot up from her bed with tears streaming down her face, she blinked her eyes a few times to clear her vision of the tears, she shook her head and sighed, collapsing back into the embrace of her pillow and covers.

‘Yet another nightmare. And they all have the same recurring element; all involve my friends and those weird ‘blank’ ponies. I should order some books from Canterlot on dream theories’

Twilight got up out of bed deciding that she might aswell make the most of the extra time from waking up early. She grabbed a journal where she had been jotting down what she could remember from these weird dreams and headed downstairs to take care of the library for the day

Author's Note:

Okay so I decided to take some advice and not have a deadline for each chapter, I will aim to get them out ASAP. It's just that this chapter took me a little longer since I wasn't in the mood to write (which could explain if this chapter is bad). Big thanks to The Original PWD for editing this chapter.

Will start writing the next chapter soon so don't worry.