• Published 13th Apr 2013
  • 6,949 Views, 274 Comments

Roses are Red - hell00001



Lilo the changeling must decide for herself whether or not love is real or just a chemical reaction.

  • ...
12
 274
 6,949

Chapter 8: Afternoon Stroll

Roses are Red: Chapter 8

“How long has your wing been bent like that?” Carbon asked, walking around to behind Lilo and scrutinizing her wings.

Lilo looked behind herself. “When I was repelled out of Canterlot, I was moving much too fast to correct my flight path through the air. I crash landed outside of Everfree Forest on my wing.”

Carbon held a hoof up to his chin. His eyes scanned along the delicate and wrinkled membrane, and when he lifted a hoof up to touch the wing, Lilo visibly flinched.

“I’m not quite sure what to do about this,” Carbon said. “Your wing is in awful shape, and I suggest that you do not use it until it has properly healed.” He walked in front of Lilo. “The membrane is horribly bent and torn in a few places.”

Lilo bit her lower lip and asked, “Do you know how long it will be until I can fly again?”

“I don’t know, Lilo,” Carbon said, sighing. His eyes were downcast. “To tell the truth, I don’t even know if you will be able to use it again. The wing will heal, but just by looking at the membrane growth, it isn’t healing properly. You would need to have immediate surgery performed on your wing, and judging by the social acceptance of changelings, I have my doubts.”

Lilo sat on her haunches, looking back at her wings, fluttering them. They buzzed quietly from their rapid movements, and a gentle gust of wind from them disturbed the fur on Carbon’s legs. Her gaze drifted over her mangled wing, tracing up and down the creases and tears that were scattered all over the membrane. Her eyes were misty when she turned back to look at Carbon.

“Isn’t there anything you can do?” she asked. “I saw that you have some medical equipment in your room still, doesn’t that mean you are some sort of doctor?”

Carbon sat down and fumbled with his hooves for a moment. “Not exactly. You see, I have the medical equipment for use for my laboratory experiments, not because I’m a licensed doctor. I have the basic understanding of the training the medical staff at the university undergo, but it’s not enough to perform extensive surgery on your wing. I don’t know one thing about cell reconstruction or how to work with stem cells.”

“Oh,” Lilo said, looking away. Carbon recoiled and looked around the living room.

“The good news is that it looks like your vitals are stable,” Carbon said, putting on a hopeful smile. “You’re as strong as you have ever been.”

Lilo continued to look away and muttered, “Yeah, strong.”

Carbon mentally kicked himself and looked back down at his hooves. He pushed them together for a moment, and then turned to gaze out of the living room window. The sun was nearing its pinnacle in the sky, and his eyes lit up. He turned back to Lilo.

“Hey, I know something that might cheer you up,” Carbon said, grinning.

Lilo glanced at Carbon.

“How about we go for a walk around the market?” he asked. “There is so much to see and to do. There are concession stands with wonderful food, street performers who do all sorts of tricks and play all kinds of music, and plenty of lovely wares from around Equestria.” He paused, his grin widening when he saw Lilo’s eyes brighten slightly. “How does that sound?”

“I-I guess that sounds okay,” Lilo said.

Carbon rose to his hooves. “Great! Give me just a second while I go and grab my saddlebags before we leave.”

Lilo nodded and watched as Carbon left to trot back to his room. She stood up, and after a moment, lit up her horn and engulfed herself in a green aura. When the magic dissipated, Lilo had donned her Rosebud disguise. Carbon came trotting back into the living and paused when he saw Lilo.

“Oh, yeah, that’s right,” Carbon said, shaking his head. “You need to... disguise yourself.”

Lilo cocked her head. “Why wouldn’t I?”

“Well, you see...” Carbon stammered. “It’s nothing. Let’s get moving so we can get to the market before it becomes even more crowded.”

~~~

Canterlot Castle loomed in the background as Lilo and Carbon neared the market place. The sounds from the thousands of ponies swarming the stalls and stores echoed off of the buildings, and the smells from the many concession stands filled their nostrils with scents of pastries, cooked vegetables, and the odd flesh substances being sold by griffon vendors. Lilo’s eyes widened from all of the ponies she saw walking to and fro among the stalls carrying all sorts of bags filled with items.

“I have never seen so many ponies in one place before,” Lilo said.

Carbon looked over at Lilo. “You haven’t? What about when you were flying over Canterlot?”

“I... was part of the second wave that was meant to secure the throne room with the queen,” Lilo replied, looking away. “I never was able to view the rest of Canterlot.”

“Oh.”

Carbon glanced around the stalls that both he and Lilo walked past. His eyes eventually landed upon one particular street vendor, and he nudged Lilo and pointed his hoof in the vendor’s direction. Lilo’s eyes followed his hoof and she raised an eyebrow when she saw a zebra standing behind a large stall surrounded by strange masks and trinkets.

“What kind of vendor is that?” she asked.

“You have never seen a zebra witch doctor before?” Carbon asked. Lilo shook her head. “Well, I guess I can’t say that I’m surprised. Zebra aren’t common unless you travel to their home of Zebrica. It’s mostly devoid of life unless you happen upon an oasis or a coastal city.”

“Have you been to Zebrica before?” Lilo asked as Carbon began to lead them towards the stall.

“Yes, once. My parents took me to Zevena for a week when I was just a colt.”

The zebra beamed once both Lilo and Carbon were standing in front of her stall.

“Hello and welcome, my lovely allies,” she said. “What brings you to my store of magic and supplies?”

“Good afternoon, Naroke,” Carbon replied, smiling. “I can see that business has really been taking off for you. You have a few more masks adorning your walls.”

“Oh yes, business has been quite fine. It seems as if ponies continue to be enthralled by my rhyme.” Naroke paused, glancing at Lilo to see that she was staring at her. “If you’ll beg my pardon, miss, but would there happen to be something that is amiss?”

Lilo shook her head and took a step back. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to stare. I have never seen a... a zebra before.”

Naroke smirked. “Many are captivated by my speech and stripes. Do not worry, young pony, I receive stares from all the types.” The zebra waved a hoof over the counter of the stall, revealing a coconut bowl filled with water that appeared out of thin air. “Since you are new to my ponies and my ways, I’ll show you a trick that should snap you out of your daze.”

Lilo’s mouth dropped when she saw the water within the bowl start to boil as the Zebra merely stared at it. The bubbles came together into the center of the bowl, and the water began to funnel through the bubbles in a long tube. When the tube had extended far enough out of the bowl, it whipped around like a fan, throwing water droplets up into the air that formed a mirror in front of both Carbon and Lilo. They gazed at each other in the mirror.

For the first time Lilo noticed Carbon’s strong, hard jaw and soft, turquoise eyes. She felt as if she was becoming sucked into his gaze, and her heart began to flutter once again in her chest. He smiled into the mirror, and Lilo tried to look away, a small blush flushing her cheeks. Before she had a chance to look at the mirror once again, Naroke dissipated the water and waved her hoof over the coconut bowl, causing it to disappear. The zebra smiled.

“I can see you two enjoyed my mirror,” she said. “I hope that in the future you will be able to see things a little more clearer.”

“That was wonderful, Naroke,” Lilo said. “Where did you learn that kind of magic?”

“It is a rare trait inherited by the ponies of my land; it is not something I could easily explain offhand.”

Carbon opened his mouth to say something, but Lilo took no notice as she spotted a pink bow and collar in the back corner of Naroke’s stall. She grinned, stepping to the left of Naroke slightly so she could get a better view of the two items.

“Hey Lilo, what do you see?” Carbon asked, peering around Naroke. The zebra turned around as well.

“I think something bright and colorful catches her eye,” Naroke said, turning back around. “Would it happen to be that pink bow tie?”

Lilo nodded her head, and Carbon stepped forward, depositing a few bits on the counter.

“I’ll buy it for you, Lilo,” Carbon said, nodding at Naroke.

“You don’t have to,” Lilo said, looking down at her hooves. “The bow is nice, but it’s not worth spending the bits on it for me.”

“Nonsense,” Carbon scoffed. “The bow would look wonderful on you.”

“You are quite lucky, mister Carbon,” Naroke said, placing the bow on the counter and scooping up the necessary bits. “This bow was on sale and is quite the bargain.”

“Thank you, Naroke,” Carbon said, smiling at the zebra. “It was a pleasure speaking to you today.”

Naroke smiled back at Carbon and Lilo as they trotted off deeper into the market. She watched as the two ponies disappeared into the crowd and sighed, reminiscing the first time she had caught sight of a handsome colt. There was a tap on the counter, and Naroke snapped out of her gaze and came face to face with a blue unicorn stallion.

“I’m sorry to disturb you, miss,” the unicorn said, “but could you tell me what kind of magic that mirror you conjured up was? I couldn’t help but notice that I could not see my own reflection in it when I was standing behind those two ponies.”

“It is a powerful conjuration called the Mirror of Desire,” Naroke said, waving a hoof. “It shows the ponies who it was conjured for what they most admire.”

~~~

The sun was beginning to set behind the Everfree Forest to the west, plunging Canterlot into a moody, surreal atmosphere. Everypony within the marketplace was finishing up their last transactions with some vendor, throwing their bits onto the counter and picking up their items in a haste to make it back home in time for dinner. Some shops and stalls had already closed, flipping their signs around or draping large sheets over the fronts of the stalls.

Lilo and Carbon were meandering their way out of the market back towards Carbon’s apartment with Carbon’s saddlebags filled to the brim with food and trinkets. Lilo happily wore her bow, nearly skipping her way down the street next to Carbon with a wide grin on her face. Carbon chuckled at the hopping changeling next to him, then stopped when he felt his stomach growl.

“Hey, Lilo,” Carbon said, stopping. “Let’s find some place to eat before heading back to my apartment.”

Lilo stopped bouncing and turned around. “Aren’t all of the stalls and stores closing up?”

“Restaurants usually stay open later,” Carbon said, turning around and beckoning to Lilo to follow him. “Some even stay open all night, believe it or not. I know this really good sandwich place not too far from here.”

They trotted through the marketplace yet again and began to climb the slopes of the city streets into the wealthier districts of the city. Buildings were more colorful and cleaner here, while many of the ponies that were roaming the streets wore clothing or carried some sort of haughtiness about them. Walking past a few of the ponies, Lilo could sense the arrogance dripping off of them, and she treaded closer to Carbon.

Eventually they came to a stop in front of a modest and well kept restaurant that had been built two blocks away from Canterlot Castle. Lilo eyed the castle warily, scanning over the multi colored stain glass windows and the hill that led up to the castle’s gates. Ponies were pouring out of the two massive wooden doors that marked the castle’s entrance. The Royal Guard stood at attention, directing many of those ponies to the exit of the castle grounds so that they may find their way home.

“Coming inside?” Carbon asked, holding the door open for Lilo.

Lilo snapped out of her daze and quickly trotted into the restaurant. Carbon came trotting in after her, letting the door shut behind him. A light red unicorn mare with a crimson mane and tail came walking up to them with saddlebags filled with menus.

“Good evening and welcome to the Prancing Pony!” the mare said cheerfully. “Just two of you tonight?”

“That is correct,” Carbon said, nodding.

“Right this way.”

The mare turned and led Carbon and Lilo towards one of the windows that looked out onto the street. She placed the menu’s down and stepped aside to allow for them to take their seats at the table.

Once they had been seated comfortably, the mare asked, “Is there anything you two would like to drink?”

“I’ll have water, thank you,” Carbon said, smiling.

“Water, too,” Lilo said quietly, hiding a bit of one of her eyes behind her mane.

The mare nodded and trotted off back to the kitchens. Carbon watched her go for a moment, and then he turned to Lilo and chuckled.

“What?” Lilo asked, glancing after the mare.

“She’s not going to bite you, you know,” Carbon said, opening his menu.

“I know!” Lilo protested. “I don’t know her very well.”

“You don’t know me too well and yet you will hug me when you win at a game of ring toss.”

“That’s different!” Lilo said as she propped her menu up so she could peer over the top at Carbon.

Carbon raised one of his eyebrows. “How so?”

Lilo hid behind the menu and fumbled with her words, and she let out a sigh of relief when the mare had come back with their drinks. Placing them on the table, the mare then took out a notepad and a pen.

“Have you decided on your orders?” she asked.

Carbon glanced at Lilo for a moment before he said, “Yes, I’d like to have the avocado and jalapeño sandwich.”

The mare scratched Carbon’s order down on the notepad and looked at Lilo. “And you, ma’am?”

“I’ll just have whatever he is having,” Lilo said, still hiding behind the menu slightly.

After writing down Lilo’s order, the mare collected the menus up in her magic and trotted back to the kitchen. Lilo glanced at Carbon and saw him staring at her with grin stretched across his face. Lilo bit her lower lip.

“Uh, so, what do you do at your work?” Lilo asked quickly.

Carbon rolled his eyes and took a sip of his water. “Well, it’s a bit obscure at times. I mainly act as a research assistant for the scientists that work in Canterlot University’s research department.” He swirled his straw around in the glass. “I carry out various chemical reactions and report my findings to my superiors, who will then use those findings to write up reports. Since our research mainly deals with researching and improving antibiotics to combat various diseases scattered around Equestria, there is always work to be done since viruses and bacteria are constantly evolving to withstand the vaccines.”

“Are there really that many diseases in Equestria?” Lilo asked, taking a sip of her own drink.

“Well, yes,” Carbon replied. “The Everfree Forest is home to over twenty thousand different viruses, aggressive bacteria, and parasites. In combination with the recent expansion of the forest approved by both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, more and more ponies have been getting sick lately. The research department has been nearly working twenty four seven to find new vaccines or cures.

“However, there is something else that I do when the research department is moving slow,” Carbon said, turning to look out the window and into the street. “I also volunteer in the foals wing to help play with and comfort all of the colts and fillies who have been admitted to the university’s hospital.”

Lilo stared at Carbon and her heart began to swell in her chest.

“Y-you have worked with foals as well?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Carbon said weakly. “Every chance I get I visit them. It helps lift their spirits in the unfamiliar and scary environment they are placed into while they wait for their surgeries or treatments. By the time the nurses come to pick the foal up, he or she is ready go and happily departs after saying goodbye to me.”

I’m sure there have been a few times when that was their last, Lilo thought to herself as she watched Carbon continue to stare out the window. Fidgeting with her glass for a moment, she said, “Carbon?”

Carbon turned. “Yes, Lilo?”

“Do you know what love is?” she asked.

“I... I don’t understand,” Carbon said, leaning forward.

Lilo leaned forward as well and asked, “Do you love the foals that you work with?”

“With every bit of my heart,” Carbon replied locking eyes with Lilo.

There was a long paused, and the air around Lilo felt infatuated with warmth and bliss.

“Do... Do you love me, Carbon?” Lilo finally asked.

There was another moment’s paused, and then Carbon leaned forward and planted a kiss on Lilo’s lips. She was startled at first, but then received the kiss openly and happily. The world seemed to stop as their lips pressed and moved against each other. The commotion from the kitchen had fallen silent, and the smells and sights disappeared as Lilo closed her eyes.

Lilo felt as if she had entered a dream. The love radiating off of Carbon filled her own heart and lungs with a warmth she had never felt before. Energy coursed through her muscles, and she felt her wings puff out. She felt happy, she felt free, and most of all she felt alive.

“Excuse me?”

Lilo’s eyes shot open, and both Carbon and she pulled away from each other, wide-eyed. The red mare was standing next to them with two plates of sandwiches.

“Sorry to interrupt you two love birds,” the mare said with a wink, “but your order is ready.”

The mare placed the two plates on the table and trotted back towards the kitchens. Lilo and Carbon continued to stare at each other. Only after what seemed like several minutes did Carbon finally cough awkwardly.

“Did we just...?” Lilo asked, looking at her food.

“Yeah,” Carbon wheezed.

“Does that mean...?”

“I don’t know.” Carbon blinked looking down at his food as well.

“Are we going to...?”

“Yeah,” Carbon said, nodding his head.

Both he and Lilo leaned forward and kissed once again, this time locking lips with each other and remaining uninterrupted until they had had their fair share.

Author's Note:

Alright, this chapter is finally finished. Took a little longer than I hoped because of headaches and a nasty cold, but I finally finished. I hope you all enjoyed it.

I am not the best when it comes to rhyming. It really shows.

Thank you Redracer for editing.

Next chapter is Chapter 9: Next Morning