• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 15,633 Views, 1,491 Comments

Meet the Family - Thunderscourge



Rainbow Dash brings Soarin to meet her father and mother (Firefly)

  • ...
38
 1,491
 15,633

Meet the (big) Friends

A/N: Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment on the last chapter. Your comments really have helped me and my mood these past few trying days, so I am infinitely grateful. I hope you will continue to enjoy, and that I may hear from you and others in the comment section below.

Now a message from our sponsors. This chapter brought to you by...people’s stupidity that gave me a headache so large I cannot sleep. Been suffering from a lot of those recently, and they’re not getting better.

Please enjoy, and let a tired college student know what you think in the comments!


Outside the Ponyville elementary school sat the infamous trio known as the Cutie Mark Crusaders, a large tome before them with pictures where words normally would be. Apple Bloom sat there flipping the pages and narrating them as she did so.

“There’s mah mom and mah dad. Ah wish ah could hev known ‘em, but at least ah have Granny Smith, AJ and mah brother!”

Scootaloo nodded to that, glad for her own family, “Yeah!” noticing that Apple Bloom had not actually appeared yet in the photo album, Scootaloo decided to inquire about that. She could always use embarrassing filly photos down the road for blackmail, “Where do you appear in this album?”

Apple Bloom did not sense her friend’s childish intentions and hooved through the book, “Hmmmm,” at the sight of a patch of red hair with a bow, the Earth Pony poked the page with a hoof, “Here’s mah first photo!”

“Awww, you’re just a little baby!” Sweetie Belle cooed at the sight of the photo, adoring the baby Apple Bloom. Then she noticed something weird about the photo and those around it, “Uhhh, Bloom?”

“Yeah?” her accented friend responded.

“Where are your parents?”

Apple Bloom thought about it for a second, “Well, the book is dun by date. Granny Smith lahks it that way ‘cuz of her memory.”

Scootaloo tried looking to see what Sweetie meant, and it did not take long to notice the discrepancy. Photo of Applejack going to the city? No parents, they had passed. And since the photo of Apple Bloom comes after that one...

Sweetie Belle did not take the whole thing into consideration and innocently chirped, “Hey, that’s weird! Apple Bloom, why were you not born until after your parents stopped taking photos of themselves?”

Apple Bloom’s brain broke as she tried to make it make sense, “Uhhhh….”

Scootaloo reached over to her ignorant friend and knocked her on the shoulder, “Sweetie!”

“What? It’s a leginamate question!” Sweetie Belle complained as she rubbed a hoof on her now sore shoulder, “It just doesn’t make any sense-”

A wooshing sound in the air made Scootaloo’s ears twitch and the filly jumped upright, “That’s cool and Imma let you finish, but I have to go guys. Dad’s here.”

“Dad?” the other two questioned, not knowing what she was talking about.

“Uhhh, mister Soarin. He and Rainbow Dash have adopted me, remember?” Scootaloo clarified, blushing red as Soarin landed in the grass nearby them with a streak of blue and grey.

Sweetie Belle bonked herself on the head with a hoof, “Oh yeah! That’s so cool that you have two Wonderbolts for parents!”

Soarin trotted over to the trio with a nervous smile, “Hehe, Wonderbolt. Yeah,” he looked down to Scootaloo who was struggling to pick up her bookbag, “Hello Cutie Mark Crusaders. You ready, Scootaloo?”

Scootaloo managed to strap the saddlebag on finally before spreading her wings, “Yup!”

Having spent time with both Soarin and Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo was able to get from their school to their house. She did not have the endurance to go farther than that yet, but she was improving bit by bit.

The two Pegasi lifted off gently into the sky, Soarin making sure to stay right beside Scootaloo in case she fell, and the two Crusaders on the ground waved at them as they departed, “Bye Scootaloo!”

Scootaloo waved back, causing her to wobble a little in the air before she could catch herself. After that little slip up, both her and Soarin picked up the pace a little and headed home.

“Hey Scootaloo?”

The orange filly glanced over to Soarin as they flew softly towards their cloud home, “Yeah?”

Soarin grinned at her, but it was a bit nervous, “How would you feel if I had some more time to hang out with you?”

“That’d be cool, I guess, but isn’t being a Wonderbolt very time consumering?”

“Consuming,” Soarin corrected, “And yes. Just wanted to see what you thought.”

A silence filled the air afterwards, one that Soarin decided to break, “So, have you told your friends yet about Rainbow Dash and I getting married?”

Scootaloo shook her head as they came up on the house’s front cloud, “Nah. You guys haven’t told anypony yet, so I thought I shouldn’t.”

Soarin resisted the urge to hug her as they landed, not wanting to mess her up, “You’re so considerate.”

Scootaloo just nodded silently, feeling embarrassed like any child is by their parent giving them praise. Soarin just patted her on her head before turning and lifting off again.

“Well, I have to run some errands. Tell Dashie I’ll be back soon, okay?”


Knock, knock, knock.

That was what preceded the door to the Ponyville library opening, leading Soarin to find himself face to face with none other than the newest royalty there was in Equestria, Twilight Sparkle.

“Uh, hello your high-”

The bookworm cut him off with a laugh, “Twilight Sparkle is fine. Seriously, everypony needs to calm down about that.”

Soarin put a hoof behind his head nervously, not having really planned this full encounter out except for a couple bits, “Rainbow Dash thought it would be best if I met you.”

Twilight stepped out of the doorway to give him space to enter, “Oh, come on in then. I was just getting some books for Fluttershy on how to take care of disobedient animals and putting away books that fillies shouldn’t be trying to read.”

Soarin entered the library and Twilight closed the door behind him as she nodded over to the previously mentioned Fluttershy in the room, who nervously nodded to Soarin as Twilight spoke, “You danced with Rainbow at my brothers wedding if I remember correctly,” the Wonderbolt nodded to her as Twilight continued to spout off information, “Soarin the Wonderbolt. She checked out all the articles on you after I got her into reading-”

Soarin was going to have to bring that last bit of information up with Rainbow. Just what had she read?

“-so it makes me so glad to see you two here together! It’s like a romance novel,” Twilight blushed at her own words, her smile guilty, “Not that I read those.”

Fluttershy moved slowly over to the other two and tried to greet Rainbow Dash’s fiance, “Hi…”

Soarin greeted her back with a little more energy, “Hello, my name is Soarin. You must be Fluttershy.”

She nodded and glanced to her side, where a white rabbit Soarin had not noticed before stood with a carrot about to be eaten, “Uhm...you probably haven’t met Angel Bunny.”

“I don’t believe I have,” Soarin bent down to the rabbit’s level as best as he could, “Hello Angel, I’m Soarin-”

Anything he had been told about carrots being good for your eyes quickly was forgotten as the carrot crashed into his face, and his left eye in particular.

“Well then,” Soarin stated, absolutely not knowing where to go from there. Part of him wanted to eat the carrot in spite, but it had been on the floor.

Fluttershy looked down to her pet with a disapproving face and spoke with as harsh a tone as she could muster, “Angel, that wasn’t very nice. Now show mister Soarin you’re sorry.”

The rabbit crossed its arms and looked away from the ponies, completely unashamed, “Pleeeeaaaase Angel? For mommy?”

Soarin stood back up and laughed it off, making a mental note to himself to never get a rabbit as a pet, “It’s okay, I’ve faced worse than a fluffy rabbit.”

Twilight laughed too as she began to tend to various out-of-place books in the room, “Hah, I bet. The Wonderbolts always get to react to pretty interesting monster threats.”

“Yeah, they do. Been a bit quiet the past few weeks to be honest. Almost like all of the beasts there have died off,” Soarin noted, not minding too much that he didn’t have to fight off dragons and the like. It was not as easy as it had been a few years back.

Fluttershy seemed worried about what he said and her mouth formed an O, “Oh, I hope not. I found this interesting one the other day. I named him mister Squish because he makes that sound whenever he moves with his eight tentacles.”

The rabbit beside her made strangling gestures, so Fluttershy explained, “Angel dislikes mister Squish ever since mister Squish tried to eat him. He’s smart enough to get out of a cage it seems, and he can fit through a hole the size of a bit somehow.”

Soarin nodded to that, “Pretty smart octopus.”

“You know what it is?” Fluttershy felt embarrassed that she had no idea what it was.

“Well, I am assuming given what you’ve said. I am just surprised it is doing this well on land. Must be enchanted. Did it appear out of nowhere?” he gave a nonchalant shrug.

“Well, yes…”

“Somepony was playing a prank on you I would bet,” he quickly felt the need to made an addendum to that statement, “And Rainbow would have told me if it was her. She did a good one of Pinkie Pie the other day, I heard. Purple Pie more like it.”

“I remember that one,” Twilight turned away from the books to re-engage in the conversation, “I was too afraid to leave my room to help Pinkie out because of a snake infestation, so she was stuck purple for a week.”

“Snake infestation?” this was news to Soarin.

He almost missed the slight eye-twitch the princess gave off as she spoke, “Talking snake. Very bad day.”

Fluttershy attempted to reassure her neurotic friend, “Snakes aren’t that bad, Twilight. You just have to not startle them.”

“You would say that,” her friend snarked to the amusement of the rabbit.

Soarin gave a cough to draw their attention, having a specific goal and topic to broach for the two that Rainbow Dash had tasked him with in an attempt to get him to meet them, “Anyways, I was just wondering when you two are the most available for a big event Rainbow and I are planning.”

“How big?” Twilight questioned as she summoned a calendar from the side of the room.

“Pretty big,” he glanced down to the evil rabbit with a grin and got an idea, “Like, if one of Pinkie’s parties is the size of this rabbit, then it would be as big as me.”

Twilight began to flip through the pages of the calendar with a surprised expression on her face, being quite surprised that Rainbow Dash would go to the effort of putting something together at all, “Oh wow, I really will have to check my schedule. When were you thinking this would be, roughly?”

“Anytime in the next half year.”

“Hmmm...let me see,” Twilight flipped through that time range and analyzed the few free spaces she had open on it, “Because of my new duties, I would say the best time would be in about four months. Canterlot needs a lot of clean up with Luna away on business and those Changelings having done their thing again.”

Soarin grinned at the other pony whose schedule mattered, “How about you Shutterfly?”

“I’m Fluttershy, and, um, I am available whenever…” the meek mare glanced to Twilight, “Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie probably will want to know Rainbow’s getting married, Twi.”

That made Soarin’s eyes grow large, “Wait, you know?”

Fluttershy nervously looked at the ground, “Rainbow wouldn’t put together any kind of event if it wasn’t that important. Or a new Daring Do release date.”

Twilight scoffed, “She still thinks that she is a bigger fan than me. As if she could like my mom more than me.”

Again with the revelations, Soarin was quite a bit shocked, “Your mom writes Daring Do?”

“Yeah, under a pseudonym. Took me forever to figure that out,” Twilight stopped going through the calendar and instead decided to look at her guest with a big smile, “And congratulations! I have to visit Rainbow and tell her when I get the chance. When did you propose? Tell us everything because she’ll likely exaggerate if we ask her.”

“Uh, to be precise, she proposed to me...”


Many hours later Soarin found himself coming home to Rainbow’s house, not his own back near Cloudsdale, and when he came in he found his girls in the newly refurbished living room watching the large television put in there. Soarin was quite impressed that All Thread had managed to fix up the entire place as if the Cutie Mark Crusaders had never been there.

Rainbow waved him over in the dimly lit room to the couch where they both were laying down, “Come and join us Soarin, we were just watching one of Scootaloo’s shows and eating popcorn.”

Soarin found a place on the couch that allowed him to nuzzle and embrace both of the mares, “What show?”

“Pony Rangers,” Scootaloo replied, eyes glued to the television as she spoke, “Super heroes are awesome! They’re having the show’s 20th anniversary, so we’re watching the big reunion and fight!”

Rainbow chuckled at Scootaloo’s description of it. She was enjoying spending quality time with Scootaloo, even if the bad ponies in the show had terrible rubber outfits, “Don’t worry, you’ll live Soarin. Get past some cheesy stuff and it’s pretty decent.”

Soarin actually found himself feeling nostalgic as he looked at the show, “I know, I was young once too! I remember they went to space when I was a colt. Always wanted to do that myself!”

“Ask Princess Luna, it’s nothing special,” Rainbow snarked, taking a hooffull of popcorn into her mouth as she did so.

Soarin poked her side playfully, “She’s going to give you nightmares for saying that.”

“Let her, I-”

“Shhh,” Scootaloo warned as the characters on the screen stopped fighting so that they could talk. This stopping gave Soarin a moment to catch sight of some familiar characters which revived many a childhood memory in him.

“Oh hey, those are the guys I grew up with! Cool!”

“Shhh!” Scootaloo repeated.

“Okay, okay-”

“Shhhh....” the last one came out more like a hiss and a threat.

The family continued to watch the show and rest there together when two more familiar ponies appeared on the screen. One was bulky and the other was as thin as a skull, and Soarin could have sworn he had seen them somewhere else before.

Ignoring the feeling, Soarin decided to talk to Rainbow about his exploits that day as the show cut to a commercial break.

“Hey Rainbow?”

“Yeah?”

“I did what you asked and talked to Twilight and Fluttershy, and also asked their availability. Fluttershy instantly guessed about the wedding though.”

Rainbow shrugged, not really caring that the cat was out of the bag. It would have happened at some point anyways, “Eh, doesn’t matter. Make sure not to let Rarity’s ODC get to you about it over the next couple months.”

“Can I be the flower girl?” Scootaloo asked cheerfully.

“Of course. Just don’t go overboard, okay?”

Scootaloo was learning from Rainbow Dash for better or worse, as she snorted, “I make no such promises.”


After a night of TV, Soarin’s cooking, Rainbow Dash’s not-too-bad dessert cooking, and some nice family time together, everypony was going to bed.

Was.

A candlelit room with a note on the door saying-

Little brother please.

Love, Scootaloo.

threw a wrench in the mix.

Soarin blinked as he looked over the small note, “That’s...bold.”

Rainbow sighed deeply before leaving their shared room and going over to Scootaloo’s with the note in hoof, “Excuse me a sec.”

With a short knock, Rainbow let herself in to the filly’s room and closed the door behind her, “Scootaloo? Mind explaining this to me?”

Noticing that her plan was foiled and worried that Rainbow Dash would be mad, Scootaloo instantly spilled the beans with a rapid pace as her eyes began to grow watery, “Well, I wanted a little brother so I could hang out with them, so I went to the library and started looking for ways to get one, but Twilight didn’t let me go where the books about how foals are made are, so I read a book instead about a family and in it they get a new foal after having a romantic night with candles and nice food and-”

Rainbow flew over to where Scootaloo lay on her bed and gave her a reassuring smile, “Hey, it’s okay Scootaloo. I’m not mad.”

“You’re not?” Scootaloo asked as Dash wrapped a hoof around her.

Her mom shook her head, “No, of course not,” Rainbow sighed again as her eyes fell to the floor, “In fact, I’m kind of sad. I wouldn’t really mind giving you a little sibling, but I’m a Wonderbolt and can’t have a foal yet.”

Scootaloo was not exactly in-the-know about the whole baby process, “Why?”

Rainbow brought her lips to the filly’s head and kissed her before explaining, “Having a foal is hard for a mare, Scootaloo, and I wouldn’t be able to fly around as easily. It would be hard for me to even fly!”

As Scootaloo returned the hug given to her, Rainbow felt herself mumbling under her own breath, “Maybe in a few years...okay?”

Scootaloo was far from mumbling as she ecstatically perked up, “Really? You mean it?!”

“Sure...” Rainbow had never really put much thought into having a foal, since it would kind of dash her dreams of becoming a Wonderbolt before. But now that she was one she could think about such a thing, she supposed. Not right after joining, but maybe later on she reckoned. And if Scootaloo wanted it and if Soarin was okay with it…

Rainbow felt herself blushing at the thought.

Scootaloo, meanwhile, was still busy living it up that Rainbow Dash had agreed to some level, “Woohoo! That’s awesome!” reaching for the bedside desk, Scootaloo withdrew a piece of paper from it, “I’ve already drawn what they’re going to look like! What do you think?”

Rainbow tried not to laugh at the picture on the paper, which was literally a traced baby image of Soarin with a few modifications, “Scootaloo, this is a trace of Soarin’s baby picture with my mane. Kind of looks like my dad though because of that.”

The filly rolled her eyes, “Well duh, of course it should look like Soarin, but it’s got to have your hair! I mean, why wouldn’t it want such a great, colorful set of hair?”

Rainbow rolled her eyes back at the filly, “Scootaloo, did you choose your mane color?”

“Uhhh...no?”

While no scientist, Rainbow Dash was not exactly stupid, “Exactly. It’s kind of random. I mean, there is nothing that says family members can’t have different colored manes than their parents, but look at Sweetie Belle’s parents. Neither of them have pink in their hair, do they? And Applejack doesn’t have the same hair as Apple Bloom, or even Big Mac.”

“I feel like we’ve gotten off topic.”

Rainbow kissed Scootaloo on the forehead and whispered in her ear, “Bottom line, just...give me some time, okay?” Scootaloo nuzzled her head against Rainbow’s, who then whispered, “Goodnight.”

Soarin would be very confused why Dash came back with a completely blushed face later without wanting to talk about it. He was just happy for all of the free candles, even if it did mean Scootaloo was hoping they would adopt her a brother.

He didn’t exactly piece together the right puzzle, as Dash would later explain to him.


A/N: Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed and will enjoy it next time on "Meet the Captain"! Please comment in the section below and help make the day of a lonely college student!