• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 15,614 Views, 1,491 Comments

Meet the Family - Thunderscourge



Rainbow Dash brings Soarin to meet her father and mother (Firefly)

  • ...
38
 1,491
 15,614

Meet the Grandparents

A/N: Sorry about the wait everyone, I have been busy getting settled into college and now that I am pretty much set here I have time to write again! Season 4 is coming, so I hope to update a lot more in the coming weeks! Good job everypony on catching the references last chapter, you only missed the Medabots one in the A/N last time around.

Now, enjoy and please leave a comment to let me know what you thought about the chapter!


“-and that’s why I’ve let her hang at my place the past couple weeks, and intend to adopt her as soon as I can fill out the paperwork!”

Having just explained everything there is to know about Scootaloo to two pegasus parents, Rainbow Dash let out a breath of relief. Soarin, beside her, moved a wing to touch hers as a way of reassuring her just as a moment of silence ensued. Now Rainbow Dash’s parents were center stage in this matter, and their reactions would surely be something dramatic-

“I see,” Rainbow’s father stated plainly, face unwavering as he nodded slowly. So subdued was it that Rainbow almost felt a facehoof coming on from her own right hoof, but the glance her father gave to her mother slowed her from doing so. Something was transferred in the look, as the pink mare with a blue mane grew a very large grin.

A very mischievous one.

“You know, Dashie, honey, it’s okay if you just tell us the truth about your secret love foal,” Firefly stated in a smarmy manner, quickly letting out a small laugh following her sentence.

Not amused, Rainbow rolled her eyes, “Ha-ha-ha, nice one Mom. Scootaloo isn’t even close to resembling me. I showed you the photo. She’s orange, remember? There’s no way she’s mine, and I should really know!”

Not about to let up on her joke, Firefly raised a hoof to her chin and and acted as though she was thinking, “Well, there is that year you went away to flight school...was there another reason you dropped out?” the question was jokingly serious, and Dash’s father snorted at it’s humor but Rainbow only groaned, “It would explain why you don’t invite us over to your house-”

“Mom, Scootaloo’s orange! Orange! Nopony in our family is orange!”

“What about recessive genes?” her father added, face completely deadpan. Soarin choked back a snicker, pretty glad that her parents weren’t freaking out and were instead joking about the matter.

Rainbow finally facehoofed at her father’s words, “I don’t even know what those are! Come on guys, stop it! I’m taking her in because she needs somepony, not because of some weird reason like you’re thinking! I don’t even think I’m old enough to be her mom!”

Soarin, quite sure that that specific issue could be solved by simple math, decided it best to keep such a thought to himself lest he earn the ire of Dash.

Rainbow’s mother reached a hoof over to her daughter and patted her on the shoulder, “Just pulling your leg, honey. I guess all this talk about having my first granddaughter is making me a bit silly!” a grin formed on the middle-aged mare’s face again the moment she finished her consoling, “So, when do we get to meet her?”

Feeling a bit crowded in the living room with her mother right in front of her and Soarin sitting on a couch beside her, Rainbow averted her eyes nervously to the side, “Uhhh...well...I guess whenever is okay...”

The close quarters situation was only to get worse when Dash’s mother flew over to her side to pull her into a hug, “Haha, great Dashie! How about your father and I come over tomorrow and visit the filly?”

“Sure...”

And that is how Rainbow Dash found herself tied into spending a Sunday afternoon dealing with her parents.

Or rather, how she came to pawn off her parents on Soarin and Scootaloo.


Early the next morning an orange filly found herself leaving her friend’s clubhouse and heading on to her new ‘home’ when the sight of a rainbow colored mane caught her eye.

A quick glance revealed that it was not her idol/sister/mother-thing, but rather a full grown stallion with a darker shade of blue for a coat than Rainbow Dash did. He also appeared to be a bit older, but how much the filly could not ascertain. Still, the sight of a Rainbow Dash-esque pony was enough to pique her interest, so the filly rolled right over to him on her scooter and inspected him at the closer distance.

“Woah, you look just like Rainbow Dash! Do you know her by any chance? If you don’t you should so go and meet her, because she’s the most awesome Pegasus there is around here!”

The stallion rose a brow, as if he was surprised by the specificity of the statement, “Pegasus?”

Scootaloo nervously brought a hoof behind her head and chuckled, “Well, yeah, I would say pony or mare, but my friends said their sisters were the best and awesome too, so we agreed to split it up by type of pony.”

“Well then.”

Expecting him to say something more, Scootaloo waited anxiously for the pony who resembled her hero to speak. She did not, however, expect to be met with complete silence for the next half a minute as he just surveyed the area.

In an attempt to rekindle the semi-conversation, Scootaloo decided to ask him a question, “So, whatcha doing here in Ponyville?”

The stallion looked down to the filly with a blank face, “I so happen to be visiting my family,” the blank expression became a smug grin, albeit a small one, “You wouldn’t by any chance know where Rainbow Dash lives, would you?”

Gears turned in the filly’s mind and suddenly Scootaloo felt very embarrassed for not having realized something sooner, “Hehe, uhh, yeah, of course I do,” she swallowed a breath before asking with a weak laugh, “You wouldn’t be her dad by any chance, would you?”

A nod was all she got in terms of a physical response, “What gave it away, the mane or the coat?”

“Yeah, hah, you do pretty much look just like her…” not sure what to say to the stallion who was the father of her...adoptive mother/sister thing, and thus was by default her grandfather thing. Feeling extremely nervous and not wanting to show it, Scootaloo flapped her wings and started up on her scooter to continue on her path home, “Follow me then, I can get us there!”

“So, young filly, I don’t believe I’ve caught your name.”

He was just playing along with the filly, knowing exactly who she was but also wanting to see where he could take that. The filly was quite nervous, but why not play on that just a small bit?

Another nervous laugh came from the Pegasus filly, “Oh, yeah, I’m Scootaloo. Don’t know if Rainbow Dash has mentioned me, but I’m the leader of her fan club and...ummm…”

“She has brought you up before. Quite recently in fact. Something about a living arrangement I believe,” the Rainbow dad responded slowly with another grin, not that the nervous filly could see it even though he was flying gently beside her.

Scootaloo nearly jumped off her scooter at the mention of her living with Rainbow Dash, a million different emotions jumping into her ranging from happiness to fear, the fear mostly stemming from how this relative of her idol mother would react to her joining the family.

Thinking the time for messing around with her was over, Rainbow’s father gave a comforting laugh,“No need to be worried. I’m happy my headstrong, self-centered daughter has decided to help you out. I think those friends of hers she harps on about are really influencing her for the best.”

Glancing over, Scootaloo felt her nervousness begin to shrink at the sight of his genuine smile, “Yeah, her friends are awesome! They’ve beaten dragons, manticores, and even evil big bad guys like Sombra and Discord!”

Rainbow’s father would rather not remember Discord, as he wasn’t all too fond of when he was hopping around saying ‘Fun! Fun! Fun!’ as a result of the madman, but could agree completely with what the filly could say, “They are certainly quite accomplished for such young mares. I was only a cadet in the Royal Guard at their age.”

The scooter almost flipped over as Scootaloo lost complete track of what she was doing, “Wait, what?”

“Oh yes, I doubt Dash has mentioned much about that. I stopped and moved on to a less stressful job in weather after she was born.”

This revelation shocked Scootaloo on many levels, and also made her feel bad about pranking the royal guards with Rainbow Dash not two weeks ago, “You gave up a job with the second coolest group in Equestria? Why would you ever do that?”

The chuckle that was received sounded more like a low rumble, “You may realize this when you are older, but kids both grow up fast and are a handful. I wanted to be there with my family, and so I was willing to change my life accordingly.”

Scootaloo stopped flapping her wings just as the two arrived underneath Rainbow Dash’s lofty cloud home, her scooter coming to a halt as her adoptive grandfather did the same.

The old stallion gave the filly a “Don’t worry too much about it. I can tell you some more about it some other time,” he glanced upwards at the cloud home and realized this must be the spot, “You ready to go up?” he asked, a look having gone to her scooter. Would the small filly be able to carry that while flying?

“Yeah, but, uh…” Scootaloo flapped her wings a little bit before asking, “Could you help me up?”

Rainbow’s father had forgotten that his daughter mentioned this filly had trouble flying. Wordlessly he landed beside her and crouched down so that she could climb on top of his back.

Not everypony has as much of an affinity for flying as Rainbow Dash. Her old friend Fluttershy couldn’t even get back home on her own after she fell from the clouds.

“Thank you.”

The stallion smiled as he thought about how his wife would no doubt tirelessly assist this young filly in the art of flying. He’d be content with watching, his wife having enough energy for the two of them.


The first thing the blue stallion and orange filly were met with upon opening the half-closed door of Rainbow Dash’s home was a pink mare with a jaw hanging.

“Wait, you got to meet her first, Bifrost? Not fair!” the pink pegasus called to her husband as Scootaloo rose an eyebrow in confusion. The filly had no idea who this mare was, but had an idea given her identical appearance to Rainbow Dash minus coloration and age.

Rainbow’s father shrugged, not emoting if he actually cared or not, “Serendipity.”

“Sarah’s pity?” both Scootaloo and Firefly asked simultaneously, not understanding the word he had clinically stated.

Saddened by the way the mare and filly both had no clue, Bifrost just shook his head as he noted his daughter stepping into the hallway with Soarin in tow, “Never mind. I’ll explain it later.”

“Why’d you guys come separately?” Rainbow Dash questioned the two, not really understanding why her parents wouldn’t have come to see Scootaloo at the same time.

Before Firefly could start speaking her husband cut her off, “Somepony was impatient and left with the directions to your home before I could even wake up.”

His voice took a smug turn, although it was barely noticeable underneath his deep voice, “And I still ended up here a minute later.”

Firefly approached her husband and nudged him with a hoof playfully, “Oh hush, your directions were impossible to understand! Who needs to know all these little weather conditions every hundred feet?”

He nodded, “Point taken,” and then promptly shook his head, “And ignored.”

“Why you-”

Soarin, in an attempt to keep the peace, cleared his throat nervously, “Ahem?”

Rainbow Dash snickered at his interruption, “Well, I’ve got to finish making my pie, so I’m going to let you guys do your thing.”

“You can make food?” her father questioned as if it was a shocking discovery. Scootaloo copied Rainbow Dash’s snicker from a moment before, remembering quite well how she ate out the first few days she stayed with her idol due to the painful alternative.

The rainbow maned mare put her nose up in the air like Rarity might during a snooty moment, acting as if she was offended by her father’s question, “Of course I can! I did live on my own for awhile,” she paused briefly before adding quickly under her breath, “And Soarin’s a good cook and teacher.”

Now it was Firefly’s turn to be surprised, looking at Soarin with dinner plate sized eyes and a face of awe, “You can cook?”

Unlike Dash, Soarin was given a good vibed question and reacted with pride, “You bet! The better I can make my food the better it’ll taste, so I’ve also been teaching Dash so she can actually feed Scootaloo something that isn’t like liquified toast.”

Rainbow’s father agreed to this with a small nod, “Makes sense. I’m better than Firefly at cooking too.”

“Hey!” Firefly yelped, causing another snicker from Scootaloo who was beginning to piece everything together about the family dynamics.

“Mom, we all know it’s true. I wish I inherited his cooking instead!” Rainbow posited.

“At least I tried, dear. You never even bothered to read a three step instruction manual before this stallion came into your life I’m guessing.”

Her daughter left the hallway to enter her kitchen as she gave a dismissive snort, “Yeah yeah, whatever. Just have fun for a bit, I’ll be back soon.”

As the others watched Rainbow leave, her father got a thought. Since he already had partially met Scootaloo, why not leave her alone with his wife for a bit?

Taking Soarin by the shoulder, he pulled the younger stallion with him towards the next closest room, “I will speak with the boy. Come.”

“Guess that leaves just you and me!” Firefly chipperly stated to the nearby filly, bending down to her level and nuzzling her own head against the orange filly’s.

Looking straight forward to the pink mare who oh-so resembled Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo rose a brow. Was it possible for old ponies to be as cool as younger ones?

“Yay?”


Closing the door behind them, Rainbow’s father spoke to Soarin in a hushed but serious voice, “So, you think she’s ready for this?”

“Scootaloo or your daughter?” Soarin asked, not having understood the question’s subject due to the limited nature of their language’s pronouns.

This logical question pleased the father, who gave a nod of approval to the Wonderbolt, “I meant my daughter, but I suppose both.”

Soarin dropped his gaze to the ground as he tried to think about it. While Rainbow wasn’t exactly parent of the year material, and Scootaloo wasn’t exactly an angel with her habit for doing dangerous stunts and activities.

After a moment the light blue stallion spoke up, “Well, Scootaloo seems to be completely in love with the idea, and I believe it just may be what’s best for her, but I don’t know about Dash…”

The subject’s father spoke aloud what he knew the boy was thinking, “She’s a bit selfish and she is lazy, but when she’s dedicated to something she goes all in for it. It’s the mix of those things that I think will make this both work and be difficult.”

Soarin let out a very minute nervous chuckle as he responded, “I would agree with you there, no offense to Dash. I love her, but part of that is knowing her faults and accepting them.”

“I couldn’t agree with you more about that,” a rare warm smile graced Rainbow’s father’s face, and Soarin felt one of his own tugging at his own lips because of it.

Seconds passed before the rainbow maned stallion spoke up again with yet another question, “Think you’re up to it?”

“Up to...it?” Soarin asked back, once again confused about the question’s subject.

“Let’s do some math, son. Who are you in a relationship with?”

Confused, Soarin stated, “Rainbow Dash.”

“Good. Who is adopting a certain orange filly?”

“Rainbow Dash,” Soarin stated again, growing a bit confused about this line of questioning.

“Very good now, here’s the tricky one. If Rainbow Dash has a filly, and you are in a serious relationship with her, what does that make you?”

“A...father figure,” Soarin stated slowly this time, realizing what was being talked about.

Bifrost patted the Wonderbolt on the shoulder, “Exactly. Now, you think you can handle that?”

Soarin smiled at him as he thought back to his conversation the other night with Scootaloo, “I kind of promised Scootaloo I would once she and Rainbow talked about the whole adoption thing and she was wondering the same thing. Scootaloo is a great filly and I want to help her how I can.”

“Glad to hear it, son. I had a feeling you’d be able to handle it a bit better than Dash, given you have a few years on her. I’d even go as far to say that you’re pretty wise for your age.”

“Thanks,” a thought struck Soarin the moment he finished thanking the older stallion, one which he soon found himself vocalizing, “You...don’t mind too much that I’m so much older than Dash, do you?”

A snort preceded the answer, “Initially, when Dash said she was dating the stallion she grew up idolizing, I was a bit concerned. Sure, Dash prattled on about you for years and years, but that didn’t mean I listened to half of it so I just thought you’d be some deadbeat abusing his position to be with beautiful mares.”

Soarin rubbed the back of his head nervously, thinking back to how awkward the subject of mares had been up until recently, “I’m kinda too shy for that…”

“And that’s why I like you. If you were some stuck up jock, I’d have run you out before you finished introducing yourself,” another brief snort, “Not that I’d have to worry about my daughter bringing home somepony like that. She hates that type of pony and would break them in two before bringing them to our home.”

“Really? Did she have issues with them when she was younger?” Soarin almost cringed as he thought back to his old school days...he was lucky enough to have his friend Caramel back then. Shy guy and guy with weird mustache managed to put up with the bullies just fine together.

Rainbow’s father scowled as he brought back old memories, “There was a gang of three Pegasi colts that bullied her and her friend Fluttershy years back,” the scowl disappeared and a small smile replaced it, “I’m their boss now. Terrible employees to be honest, and they won’t be moving up the ranks just about ever. And that’s before I factor in my personal feelings on the issue.”

Soarin rubbed a hoof to his chin as the mention of a trio of mean Pegasi came to mind, “I see...I think I’ve met them before. One’s got hair hanging in his face, right?”

“You would be correct.”

Soarin tilted his head back as he completed his recollection, “They jerkishly challenged me to a race when I was a bit younger, so I of course took it upon myself as a prideful Wonderbolt to show those teenagers their place.”

The Wonderbolt felt himself grow uncomfortable as a coy smile grew on Bifrost’s face and a deadpan question escaped his lips, “So, while we’re tangentially on the subject of my new grandchild, when can I expect another? I am trying to picture the child of two of the world’s best athletes, one of whom graduated as the valedictorian of his class and has a relaxed and good nature.”

Completely stunned, Soarin managed to stutter a bit before responding, “Uhm, how do you know that-?”

A playful laugh only served to unnerve him more, “You think I wouldn’t run a full background check on the first relationship my daughter has ever brought to my attention, with a celebrity who she has been yelling the name of for the past seven-ish years? Son, being the boss of all of the weather has its perks.”

Face red underneath his blue coat, Soarin stammered, “A-about that other bit...Dash and I don’t…”

Rainbow’s father shifted his smile so it was more of a relaxed one at this point, “I may not emote it or express it through my voice, but I do joke. I was merely stating my pleasure in hearing how you bested those three morons under my employ, in a way that might cause you embarrassment. Seems like it was a success.”

Soarin kept blushing and looked at the floor, leaving the floor open for Bifrost to continue, “Keep things going how they are though, and I’ll be expecting a visit from you.”

“A visit?” Soarin questioned, not getting why he would specifically have to visit Rainbow’s father if he were to keep his relationship with Rainbow Dash going well.

“You’ll understand what I just said in retrospect I believe,” a pause and then, “How is your family by the way?”

Stumbling to find a word for it, Soarin tried to place a name for what they were but wasn’t all too sure it was the right one, “Estranged?”

“No need to say more.”


In the living room Firefly found herself trying to play catch up with Scootaloo so that her husband wasn’t ahead of her in terms of knowledge.

“-Favorite activity?”

Scootaloo found the mare to be a bit odd, but didn’t really have anypony to compare her to. Why was she being asked all these questions? Whatever the case, Scootaloo was sure when they were done she could hear all about the adventures and things these parents of Rainbow Dash must have. She only had to stay awake until then!

“Flying with Rainbow Dash.”

“Goals?”

“To get my cutie mark!” Scootaloo exclaimed happily, although she quickly looked behind herself at her small wings, “And to learn how to fly...

“I can help with that second one,” Firefly stated confidently, “Favorite book or series?”

“Daring Do!” Scootaloo cheered loudly, both loving the series and not wanting Rainbow Dash to think her a heretic. In reality Scootaloo enjoyed the Celestial Wars books just as much, especially the original trilogy of them, but she didn’t dare say that in her new home.

The fact that Scootaloo hadn’t treated the inquiry as a ‘Gotchya’ question made Firefly more than happy, a quite serious condition, “Oh good, a reader! Dashie would never read the books we bought for her, so we just stopped trying after a certain age.”

“Of course I love reading! I love everything Rainbow Dash does! And besides, who doesn’t like to read?”

The cheerful expression displayed by the filly made Firefly’s middle-aged heart melt, “You really adore her, don’t you? Rainbow really is something special.”

“Well, um, Rainbow Dash is the best flier in Ponyville if not Equestria, and she’s so cool…” Scootaloo’s voice faded off as she thought more about why she idolized Rainbow Dash so much, “She beats bad guys up and has saved everypony from certain doom! Nopony is better than Rainbow Dash, so why shouldn’t I adore her?”

Firefly boldly wrapped a hoof around the filly and pulled her into a hug, causing Scootaloo to blush as her adoptive grandmother spoke, “No reason at all.”

Nervous about having these new family members, especially so close, Scootaloo averted her eyes down and gave a nervous laugh, “So, is, um, your special somepony going to come back?”

“Oh, of course he is. He is just talking with Soarin about some important things.”

“Important?”

“Don’t worry about it, dear,” she patted Scootaloo on the head reassuringly with her open hoof, “You already got to talk to him, so what did you think?”

“He...ummmm...well, he’s kind of quiet.”

Firefly laughed at the very apt description of her husband, “Don’t let his voice and face scare you off. He’s got a big heart under that statue of a body! In fact, he used to be kind of like Soarin back when he was younger. Sweet and shy!”

Scootaloo tilted her head, confused as she put together some of the few things she knew about her idol’s father, “Wasn’t he a part of the Royal Guard?” shouldn’t the Royal guard be bold and tough, the young filly thought.

The pink Pegasus nodded and laughed again, “Why yes, he was. I’m surprised you know about that! I sometimes wonder whether Dashie even remembers that the way she makes faces at them…”

Wanting to get off the subject of messing around with the Royal Guard, Scootaloo decided to move the topic in another direction, “How’d you meet him then?”

Firefly leaned back on the couch they sat in as her memories set in, “Well, I was a member of the Wonderbolt Academy back in the day, so I got to tag along with them to special events-”

“You were a Wonderbolt?!” Scootaloo interjected, wings flapping quickly and happily as she imagined about how not only Rainbow Dash but also her mother might have been in the most prestigious group of Equestrian fliers.

Firefly was the one giving a nervous laugh this time, a glint of sadness viewable but not noticed by the excited Scootaloo, “Haha, no, that wasn’t really in my cards. Not that I couldn’t do it, but I was too busy gallivanting around to just settle down to a career. I had some close friends back in the day like Rainbow does,” the glint became a full face expression as she continued, Firefly’s voice becoming dreary, “We’d go around and have adventures all the time, at least until they started getting a bit older. Then they started settling down and having families…”

Able to pick up on Firefly’s distress, Scootaloo leaned her head on the pink mare and wrapped her own hoof around her, “What’s wrong?”

The former Wonderbolt trainee quickly removed the face and tried laughing it off, “Just trying to remember the last time we all got together...or any of us got together, actually. Last I heard Twilight Velvet was living in Canterlot, Surprise was hanging out midwest-you know what, never mind. I’ll handle those guys later! Right now I want to spend some quality time with my favorite granddaughter.”

The logistics of that last statement got Scootaloo thinking, because she was likely the only granddaughter of this mare, and also the idea that somepony would be willing to be her Granny Smith made Scootaloo feel a little uncomfortable. Whatever did she do to deserve such a caring and great group of ponies to take her in?

“Uhhhh…”

Firefly tussled Scootaloo’s mane, “No need to be shy, kid. If Rainbow Dash is taking you in, you’re a part of the family in my book.”

Scootaloo pulled her other hoof to fit around the pink Pegasi and closed her eyes as she felt the mare fully return the gesture. After a moment of silence Firefly remembered how she had gotten sidetracked.

“Now, where did I leave off in my story?” Scootaloo opened her eyes and looked up to her grandpony, “Oh, yeah, I got to tag along to big events, even ones with Celestia at them! And where she goes her guard does as well, so that’s where I met my quiet guy-”

“We return.”

The mare and filly looked up to see Bifrost and Soarin entering the living room, having obviously finished their little chat.

“I see you two have caught up,” Rainbow’s father noted as his daughter unknowingly snuck inside the room behind him to embrace Soarin.

“Yup!” Firefly nuzzled muzzles with Scootaloo to prove the point, “You’re a pretty cool kid, Scootaloo. Grandma’s gonna have to visit you every week!”

The idea of being saddled with family visits every week did not sit well with the youngster, who didn’t know exactly how to say no, “Uhhh-”

Rainbow Dash, ever the hero, stepped in for her though to Scootaloo’s relief, “No. Sorry mom, but give Scootaloo some space,” that being said, Rainbow Dash added, “Besides, you barely ever visit just me!”

“But now we have a reason to! When it was just you we knew you didn’t want us nagging you every week, so we kept our distance,” Firefly whined innocently, holding onto Scootaloo tight enough to make the filly have to gasp for air, “But, as your parents, we have every right to spoil your foal with love and affection.”

Bifrost said nothing to this, just shrugging and giving Scootaloo a look of pity for her current predicament.

“Mooom! Seriously, what happened to the cool mare I idolized?” Rainbow Dash complained, her special somepony beside her laughing at her tone.

Firefly resumed her normal voice and rolled her eyes, “Dashie, let me have this. The older you get the less you care about looking cool or doing ‘radical’ things. I’m just fine with having some fun and loving my family now. My days of adventure are done.”

Soarin decided to try and help Firefly out a little, a goofy grin on his muzzle, “C’mon Dash, give her some slack. I know exactly what she’s talking about.”

“See? Your 50% older boyfriend agrees with me! Being old changes your opinions and actions.”

“I’m not too old…” Soarin claimed weakly, knowing what Firefly said was true.

Rainbow Dash decided to take the moment to turn the table on her mother, her expression displaying the snarky feelings she was having, “Hey mom, remind me how much older you are than dad?”

“Four years isn’t that much honey, it’s only about 10-ish percent-”

“Cuz you’re old. The age gap means less the older you are. Plus, Soarin and I are both adults and I think we can decide if it matters to us at all. Right Soarin?”

“Right?” he replied unsurely.

Firefly laughed as she noticed her daughter’s point, “Just harmlessly pulling his leg, Dashie. Glad you like him that much though. He’s a real keeper!”

Still on the couch, Scootaloo piped up, “Yeah, please keep him!”

“Should I be wearing a leash?” Soarin questioned jokingly.

The response, however, was deadpan, “Would you?” Rainbow Dash inquired.

Not about to let anypony answer that, Bifrost spoke up, “I’m going to cut you all off there. Now, who’s hungry?”

“I am!” Scootaloo leaped off the couch at the mention of eating.

Firefly left the couch to follow the filly towards the door, “Let’s go fix that.”

“I could sure use some pie about now,” Rainbow’s father noted as he too turned to leave the room.

The only pony, in fact, who wasn’t moving to leave was Soarin. He was too stunned by what Bifrost had said to move, tears of happiness welling up in his eyes, “You...you love pie too?”

“Dad, you had better not steal Soarin from me,” Rainbow Dash warned, sensing how much that one sentence from her father must have made Soarin’s day.

The response? Less than reassuring, “I’m tempted.”

Firefly nudged her life partner in the ribs as she passed him, “You’re such a hoot honey. A real jokester. Right?”

A noncommittal, “Sure,” was all she got back, but the smile growing on his face gave his joking away.

Scootaloo stopped her kitchen-charge to speak to her idol, face beaming, “Rainbow Dash, you’re parents are great!” and then her face scrunched up with an eyebrow raising, “And weird.”

“They certainly are something...” Rainbow muttered, having had enough quality time with her family for a lifetime.

In an attempt to win back his marefriend Soarin wrapped a hoof around her playfully, “Don’t worry Dashie, him loving pie wouldn’t draw my affections.”

“Awww, thanks Soarin. I’m glad to know I’m worth more than pie.”

“Then again, he does have a more mellow personality, the same radical hair, a pretty nice coat-”

“Soarin?”

“Yes Dash?”

“Shut up.”

“I love you too.”


A/N: I hope you enjoyed, and please leave a comment to let me know what you thought about the chapter!