• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 15,614 Views, 1,491 Comments

Meet the Family - Thunderscourge



Rainbow Dash brings Soarin to meet her father and mother (Firefly)

  • ...
38
 1,491
 15,614

Meet The Ex-Friend

A/N: To start, I would like to thank MaskedFerret once again for helping me out at Bronycon with brainstorming for this story. Go thank them, not me, for this!

Anyways, thanks to SeventhBrony, SageBrony07, OneOverTwo, TaylorSky, The red knight, Shrinky Frod, OminousBrony, Spectrum Destiny, jlm123hi, SwimmingDalek98, Magthere, Quillin Words, Seether00, Fatboi1000, BoneWolf1, Drgnwolf, CaptainSanchez, hanatoro, hudson, Kenchinryuu, thasbrony, WildStallion, Quillin Words, BenRG, Ebony Stallion, Sky Blazer, Themaskedferret, The Yaoi Mistress, DanteRevolution, Lovepugkate, Paladin Redflare, Shadowwk, Killabyte, Fixit Wrenches, VvendettaV, Graf Zeppelin, Corrupted Spirit, HB_DS2013, Krosis, DragoDog21, Baby Rhino, Bright0Night, themouthofmush, and Commander Rainstorm for commenting last chapter! :heart: Your support is always appreciated, and I love hearing from you all.

Sorry about the wait, school and life has been painful, but without further adieu, the chapter! I hope you enjoy and that I can hear your thoughts in the comments below!


“Knock, knock. Open up.”

Soarin was just lounging about on his Saturday afternoon, on and off teaching Rainbow how not to create toxic sludge when cooking, when he heard the faint noise of knocking on their front door followed by the semi-annoyed and semi-tired voice of someone Soarin had not heard before.

“Whose there?” Soarin gleefully called out to them as he went to get the door from his position on the couch. Rainbow was quite likely busy trying not to set the house on fire, but hopefully All Thread could manage things for the time being.

“Very funny. Now open up, dweeb!”

Soarin had not reached the door yet, but now he was feeling wholly less hospitable. Who could this mean spirited person be visiting them? They sounded like a punk, and their androgynous voice made it much more difficult for the Wonderbolt to figure out who or what was outside.

When he reached the door, Soarin stood defiantly behind it while still speaking through it, “Not if you are going to be so rude.”

“Who the heck are you, man? I thought Rainbow Dash lived here, not some moron who doesn’t know how to open a door!” the androgynous sounding punk yelled, obviously losing their temper over Soarin’s unwillingness to open the door.

It was then that Soarin noticed that Rainbow Dash had snuck up on him and had managed to get beside him. Her face appeared annoyed, though not the slightest bit confused as to who this might be.

“Soarin, just open the door,” Rainbow grunted, her eyes focused on the door that stood in-between them and their rude visitor.

Soarin relented and pulled the door open, revealing a brown and white feathered Gryphon with a golden beak. She appeared in a state of anger, though exasperation and uncomfortableness could be read in her face by her snarling expression mixed with the averting of her eyes.

Since Rainbow seemed to have a better idea about the situation than he did, Soarin let his fiancé handle the matter.

“Gilda,” Rainbow coolly noted, her voice harsher than Soarin was used to.

The Gryphon, the so called Gilda, looked up to meet Dash’s eyes with her own for a second before looking everywhere but at Rainbow, “Uh, hey.”

Soarin could feel the tension in the air, and given his lack of knowledge he took a step back, “I take it you two know eachother.”

“We used to be best friends,” Gilda explained alongside a angry look at Soarin, though she managed to keep most of her emotion out of her voice.

Rainbow continued to glare at the visitor, making Soarin feel somewhat uncomfortable with the unadulterated anger being held back by his significant other, “Used to. Until Gilda here tried to make me choose between her and all my other friends after she was mean to them.”

Gilda snarled at Rainbow Dash’s statement, anger boiling over the truth being said, “At least I didn’t betray my best friend for some new—”

Rainbow tried to cut off Gilda by speaking halfway through her claim, only to be cut off herself, “At least I didn’t—”

Soarin cleared his throat loudly enough to cut the two arguing females off, “Rainbow, could we talk for a moment?”

Rainbow snorted angrily before retreating back to the living room, not saying another word as she departed as suggested by Soarin. Her tail snapped back at Gilda as the latter tried to get a look at her as she disappeared, only for Soarin to approach the roused Gilda with a fake smile.

“Wait here.”

With that, Soarin slammed the door in Gilda’s face and left to join Rainbow before Gilda could protest.

“Dashie, I know you seem to have a grudge with your old friend, but maybe you should extend the olive branch.”

Rainbow turned around to face Soarin with a confused face, not getting Soarin’s reference, “Olive branch?”

Soarin rolled his eyes, partly amused that Rainbow’s house had architecture from a culture she did not understand a reference about. Still, he was not about to let his fiancé argue with somepony and get upset without first trying a more peaceful alternative. He didn’t want his dear Rainbow Dash to be stressed out over someone who used to be a friend.

“Make peace with her. She’s trying to be tough, but she really seems hurt. You don’t have to be friends with her, but leaving on bad terms isn’t going to do either of you any favors. So let her in and talk things over, okay?”

Rainbow looked at Soarin with some confusion and some anger, though each began to peter out as she slowly came to understand his reasoning. With a sigh she nodded to him.

“Fine.”

Soarin gave Rainbow Dash a reassuring kiss on the forehead before returning back to the door so he could open it for their guest.

“Come on in. Rainbow is in the first door on your right,” Soarin stated to the flabbergasted Gilda, who had not expected for the smiling and nice pony beside Rainbow Dash to slam a door on her face just a few moments ago. The anger that had otherwise grown in her was lost to confusion as she tried to piece together who this stallion was.

Now that she was allowed inside, Gilda entered and took a look around before going any further. As she did this, the voice of All Thread called out to Soarin from the kitchen.

“Shall I take her coat, sir?”Soarin looked over Gilda and imagined for a moment what she would look like without her natural coat of feathers, “I do not believe she has a coat,” after waiting a moment, Soarin added, “And I believe that this is a someone Dash does not like very much.”“I won’t take her coat then, sire,” All Thread responded after pausing momentarily. He had not expected to have a guest in this household who was hostile, unlike his time under Soarin’s parents where every guest was some scheming noble or something of the like.

Gilda ignored the two of them to continue on to where Rainbow was. She found Rainbow Dash sitting on a couch, and could see that across from it was a chair. With a quick swoop, Gilda rushed over to take a seat in the vacant chair.

Rainbow just watched blankly as Gilda made herself comfortable. She was not happy with her former friend in any way and, unlike some might feel, she had not felt too much longing to see Gilda again after they stopped being friends such a long time ago.

Gilda was the one to breach the silence, her own voice hesitant and nervous because of her own feelings on their relationship, “Sooooo…” she jabbed a talon over towards the room’s entrance, where Soarin lingered but remained silent, “You shacking up with that Wonderbolt now?”

While Soarin blanched, Rainbow snorted angrily, “He’s my fiancé, and no, we’re not ‘shacking up’ or whatever the street lingo is these days.”

Seeing that her small attempt at humor was not met favorably, Gilda tried to think of something else to say while trying to excuse herself, “Oh. Whoops.”

“What do you want, Gilda?” Rainbow grunted, her face fully displaying how angry she was. Gilda had hurt her friends in the past in petty ways, and Rainbow hated how Gilda made her choose which friends to keep. For the element of loyalty, being forced to take a side hurt more than it might for a regular pony.

Gilda became abashed as her eyes’ gaze fell to the floor, “I just came to…” she swallowed her breath, but more importantly her pride, before finishing, “I just wanted to say sorry.”

Rainbow turned her head away, becoming more stubborn than a mule in an instant, “Apology not accepted. Not until you apologize to everyone else you’ve hurt.”

The flat out rejection caught Gilda off-guard, who gaped at the decree, “Seriously Dash? Don’t you know how hard this is for me? I’m trying as it is! Can’t you meet me half way?”

That drew Rainbow’s attention back to Gilda. The mare growled a little as she pointed a hoof at herself, “I didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Yeah, you did!” Gilda retorted, though she did not follow it up, instead seething in the chair she had sat down in.

On the sidelines Soarin debated whether he should intervene or not. This could either end terribly or end up with the two girls making peace…with a sigh, he decided to wait to see where this was going before making a decision. He hated seeing Dash angry or uncomfortable, but at this point that seemed to be the only direction. Hopefully it could accomplish something though.

Rainbow snarled at Gilda’s accusation, “Oh yeah?”

Gilda crossed her front legs, her talons gripped the opposite arms with fury, “I come and visit you after who knows how long and you blow me off for your new friends who you get to see all the time!” Gilda jabbed one claw at Rainbow Dash from across the room, “Not only that, you let that pink puffball stalk us the entire time we were trying to do our own thing!”

Rainbow instantly went on the defensive in both her words and tone, “Pinkie Pie’s my friend Gilda, and you have to accept that! Sure she’s quirky, but all she wanted to do was have fun with us. You were just being selfish!”

Gilda brought her clawed hand back into her chest, hurt and anger flaring up on her face, “Oh, I was being selfish. Excuuuuuse me for traveling such a long way to see my friend, only to get mad that she doesn’t even want to bother to spend quality time with me! Sorry for feeling a bit betrayed by that, so called Element of Loyalty!”

Rainbow Dash tried to retort her former friend’s claim, only to find that she really had little to fire back. She had spent time with Gilda, but she had not probably spent as much time as her friend would have wanted. And she knew from experience Gilda did not like ponies, so leaving her alone in a town of them was irresponsible on her own part as a host of sorts.

“I…” was all Rainbow could mumble, her resolve lowering as she could witness the hurt in Gilda’s eyes and voice.

Not to be stopped, Gilda continued to yell even as her voice began to be choked by the tears that the tough Gryphon was fighting back, “And oh, forgive me for how after a really aggravating day I lost my cool! I had to put up with so many lame ponies just so I could hang out with you, only to then be utterly humiliated by your own pranks at a party meant to welcome me to Ponyville while not spending almost any time with you!”

Rainbow bit her own lip as she remembered the pranking spree she had gone on that day. Gilda had ended up exploding in anger as a series of pranks all landed on her, and her outburst and anger had caused Rainbow to sever their friendship. She learned later that Gilda had been going behind her back and was rude to her friends there, but it was Rainbow’s own pranking habit that had led to the breakdown at the end.

“You still were rude to my friends before that,” Rainbow tried to rationalize, knowing full well that she had no idea about that at the time.

Gilda began to breathe heavily as she tried to calm herself down, “Yeah, yeah…I know, I know. And that’s what I’m here to apologize for,” after pausing for a moment, she jabbed a clawed finger at Dash again, “But I also came for an apology from you too.”

That wrought a guffaw out from Rainbow, who appeared genuinely surprised about Gilda’s request, “From me?”

Silence hung over them both for another moment before Gilda looked down and nodded her head, her voice straining between trying to sound tough and also cracking.

“Yeah. I…” she sniffled and rubbed a hand across her eyes before pulling each arm in for a self-hug, her eyes shut as they continued to try and stave off tears, “I thought we were always gonna…be together, but it seems like you didn’t—and don’t—feel the same way…”

The emotion on the Gryphon’s face made Rainbow’s heart sink. She hadn’t thought much about the incident since it happened, but it appeared that her friend had been plagued by it ever since. Rainbow could remember all of the good times they had back at the flight academy, at least before Rainbow dropped out. Seeing her old friend and roommate in such a weak state for once was off-putting, since Gilda was usually acting as tough and mean as she could because she could.

Soarin was observing with interest, still only staying so that he could intervene should things escalate. For now though things did not seem to be on a collision course with disaster though, so he just waited as the two talked.

“Gilda…” Rainbow whispered as she got up and approached her former friend, wanting to show through physical touch that she was sorry too.

Before Rainbow could touch her, Gilda swatted Rainbow’s hoof out of the way and made her way towards the door with a strong thrust of her wings, “Know what, too much sappy stuff is going on here. I’m out.”

“Gilda, wait!” Rainbow called as Soarin stepped in the way to block Gilda’s quick exit. Rainbow did not want to have this end here, not when they still had some things to get off each of their chests.

Gilda stopped, her shoulders sagging as she lowered herself to the floor. She was unused to feeling all of these emotions and she had no idea what to do.

With her friend paused, Rainbow approached her again and put a hoof around her, “Gilda, I’m sorry. I…I didn’t put myself in your shoes…Some loyal friend I was,” Rainbow sighed as she realized her own fault in the matter, sighing as she tried to think of what to say. After all, being emotional was not her strong suit either, “And I’m sorry for what I did. That was immature of me, and I wish I could go back and change how I did things then. Maybe then we wouldn’t have…”

Gilda turned to look at Rainbow, and in the next moment the two found themselves embracing as long lost friends ought to. Gilda was blushing heavily underneath her feathers, and she was thankful no-one could see.

“And I’m sorry I didn’t tell you how I…feel,” Gilda had a lot of trouble saying that last word, though once it was said it seemed like she had burst the dam of her emotions as she just segued into a completely unguarded state, “I was totally uncool that day. I’m sorry for causing you all such a hassle. I’ll just go now.”

Rainbow reluctantly let go of Gilda, who seemed determined to leave. Despite beelining towards the exit, Gilda stopped to take another look at Soarin, some recognition forming on her face, “You know, I think I remember you. You’re that hotshot Dash always had those posters of…Soarin, right?”

Soarin remembered hearing something about Dash’s posters about him, “Hehe, yeah. That’s my name.”

Gilda snorted, some of her tough arrogant façade returning, “Boy I hated those things,” she pulled him in close with her claws so she could whisper to him in a threatening voice, “Anyways, you take care of Dash. She’s the only friend I’ve ever really had and, little known fact, Gryphons used to fight and eat ponies. Don’t hurt her.”

Soarin smiled to her, unfazed by her unsubtle threat, “Oh, don’t worry about me. I love Rainbow.”

Gilda nodded, appeased by his answer, “Good. That makes two of us,” she cast her gaze back towards Rainbow, who was giving her a weak smile. Still addressing Soarin in a whisper, Gilda added while looking over Rainbow, “And thanks for getting her to talk to me. You’re not as bad as those other ponies.”

Clearing her throat, Gilda prepared to leave again, “Seeya, Dash. I’ll be around Cloudsdale if you ever want to…you know…” she blushed again, though everybody could tell she was simply because of her embarrassed expression, “visit.”

Soarin looked to Dash and nodded over to the now open couch. It took a moment for Rainbow to get what he was saying before she called out to Gilda, who was now at the front door and letting herself out.

“Hey Gilda, you know…you could stay here tonight if you want.”

The two could hear the door creak shut before Gilda popped back up at the living room’s entrance. She looked over the room to find the same couch that Soarin had gestured to Rainbow about before looking to Soarin as well.

“That cool with you, man?”

Soarin chuckled as he thought about the irony of her question, “I gave Rainbow the idea, so I’d hope so!”

“Mom? Can I go flying before it gets dark?”

All attention in the room turned towards the other entrance to the living room, where Scootaloo was entering with a bright look on her face. She had been sleeping in from the sleepover she had thrown for Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle the night before, the other two having been picked up in the early morning by their family members.

While Rainbow and Soarin were surprised Scootaloo was awake, Gilda was surprised Scootaloo existed.

“Aaaaand you’ve got a kid. Really? That why you drop out of the academy?” Gilda snorted, her emotional state recovering now that she was not at complete odds with Rainbow anymore.

“Foals don’t grow up that fast Gilda,” Rainbow groaned as Scootaloo approached her with beaming eyes.

Once beside Rainbow Dash and hugging her leg, Scootaloo brightly piped up to the house guest she didn’t know, “I’m adopted!”

Rainbow patted her adopted daughter on the head while a sigh escaped her own lips, “Yes, you are.”

Gilda looked at Scootaloo for a moment, studying the foal intensely, before remembering what Scootaloo asked when she came in.

“Hey kid, want to learn some flying tricks? I’m as good as your mom, if I do say so myself.”

Scootaloo appeared wowed by that statement, as well as by the fact that Rainbow did not dispute it. After a moment of awe, she looked up to Rainbow Dash with pleading eyes, “Can I?”

Rainbow looked over to Soarin, who gave her a reassuring smile. With this in mind Rainbow nodded yes to Scootaloo, “Go ahead.”

This done, the filly let out a loud “Woohoo!” before dashing out of the house to get ready. This left the three adults, though Rainbow’s previous anger returned as she addressed Gilda.

“Gilda, make her cry and I never want to see you again.”

Soarin quickly chimed in to support the idea, “And my best friend is the leader of the Wonderbolts. Crying might prove fatal to you ever leaving this country, or lead to time behind bars for child abuse.”

Gilda rose an eyebrow at Soarin, having expected this from Rainbow Dash but not the goofy looking guy who she was living with, “Wow, you’re tougher than you look. Alright, no crying,” Gilda turned to leave before coming up with a caveat and turning back to them, “But if she starts crying because she fell on her own face I’m going to just eat her.”

The glares sent her way almost frightened Gilda to death, making her instantly throw her hands up defensively, “Hey, hey, joking, joking!” on her way out again she grumbled, “Sheesh, and I thought I couldn’t take a joke…”

Not about to let this be unsupervised, Rainbow and Soarin both approached the exit as well. As they followed behind Gilda, the Gryphon approached Scootaloo outside and tapped her on the shoulder, “Hey twerp, you ready?”

Scootaloo nodded up at Gilda with a bright smile on her face, “So, I know you’re mom’s friend, but what’s your name? Is it something awesome like Thunderblast? I’ve never met a Gryphon before I don’t think.”

Gilda winced at the mention of being Rainbow’s friend, but she quickly hid it and gave a pseudo smile to Scootaloo, “Name’s Gilda. And for the record, Thunderblast is a dumb name. Maybe if you change it a bit it could work.”

Thundercracker?”

Gilda shrugged, not caring one way or the other, “Eh, better. What’s your name?”

“Scootaloo!” the filly claimed with joy, her wings fluttering as she jumped up a bit.

Gilda rolled her eyes, “Now I see where your naming quality comes from.”

Scootaloo was too innocent to tell she was being insulted, “Naming quality?”

“Nothing, let’s just get to flying,” Gilda deflected. After a moment of preparing to flap her wings, Gilda had a thought. She hated the thought, but she knew it was something that made Rainbow Dash happy. And if it made Rainbow Dash happy, it might make this twerp happy, “Though, first I’d like to show you the chant your mom and I had to do when we were at the academy.”

“I so want to go there when I’m older!”

“Pfft, if Rainbow Dash the professional slacker could get in you should be fine. Just pay attention and you’ll be a shoo in.”

Back at the front door of the house, Rainbow Dash and Soarin looked on at the two with warm interest. Rainbow Dash found herself smiling as Gilda began to do the flight academy chant that Gilda seemed to dislike, though Rainbow herself was always inspired by. Soarin, on the other hand, was glad that Scootaloo seemed to be enjoying herself with a Gryphon who had, minutes ago, been in an antagonistic relationship with them.

“They seem to be doing just fine,” Soarin commented with a smile. Rainbow just nodded as she watched Gilda finish the chant, the Pegasus mare amused greatly by her friend’s deliberate choice of how to start things.

“I’m proud of you, Dashie,” Soarin whispered, “You did the right thing talking to her.”

“Yeah, yeah…” Rainbow blushed as Soarin began to kiss her neck.

Soarin paused his kissing to address a question he had not had answered for him yet, “Why’d she hate my posters by the way?”

All Soarin could think to explain the matter was that Gilda was jealous of them, but that—

A strong collision into the side of his head made Soarin stop all mental activity before shaking his head and trying to get his bearings. After a moment he found himself face to face with a green face hovering in front of him with beady black eyes on it and a large shell behind it.

“Ahhh, what is this thing!?” Soarin yelped as he backpedaled quickly into the house.

Rainbow Dash rose an eyebrow to Soarin, “That’s Tank. Don’t you remember Tank? He’s my only pet.”

“You have a pet!?”

Despite living in the house so long, Soarin had yet to really remember that there were more than four residents technically.

Author's Note:

If you enjoy Meet the Family, please check out my newest SoarinDash story "Winging It" (Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/196639/winging-it), and the chapter I will be releasing later tonight, "They're Winging It"!

It would mean a lot to me if you could help support it, what with it being another SoarinDash fic and all, so please go fave, like, and/or comment on it! Thank you if you check it out, and thanks for reading this either way!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I hope to hear what you have to think in the comments below! Thanks for reading!