• Published 13th Apr 2013
  • 1,959 Views, 33 Comments

Demon Days - carnivale



When a possibly-harmless venture into the Everfree Forest turns deadly, Rainbow Dash is stricken down with a disease, only to find out later that it's more than just ordinary... can the ponies help her in time before it gets out of hand?

  • ...
3
 33
 1,959

Chapter Four: Recollect the Nightmares

Demon Days
Chapter Four: Recollect the Nightmare

======

The ponies hesitantly gather around the broiling pot of peculiar convulsing, clear liquid, their hearts still heavy with the weight of shock and melancholy. Rainbow Dash still lies unmoving on the bed, her shallow breaths and gentle rise and fall of her chest the only gesture of mobility. Twilight and the others offer quick, uneasy glances towards the unconscious Pegasus every once and a while, horror and perturb clawing at their wrenching hearts.

The room is silent for a while, Rainbow’s sullen snores being the only exception. Zecora stirs in a few more interesting ingredients to the brew that starts to grow still. Then, she hums another string of incantations to the pot, switching off the flickering flames beneath it before stopping altogether. She waves a swift hoof over the brew, and rippling images begin to play on the surface.

At first, just a black, inky splotch dwells in the liquid. Zecora flicks her intriguing turquoise eyes to each pony in turn as she begins to speak, “Alas, ponies, I know too much of this,” she states with a troubled sigh, “and, about it, I hate to reminisce.”

The zebra’s golden bracelets jingle as she waves her hoof over the cauldron once more, and then, the inky splotch begins to take the shape of something else. It splits into several smaller splotches, each taking the shape of a pony. The biggest splotch takes the shape of a bigger pony situated on some sort of rock, pointing a hoof at the group of ponies clustered before him, seeming to give them bleak orders. The five friends around the cauldron exchange puzzled glances with once and other.

“A mysterious clan of earth ponies are situated deep in the Everfree Forest,” Zecora narrates, staring deep into the pot. “And they are situated where the land is clearest. They are special ponies, a beneficial treat. As they are able to perform magic, a great feat.”

“Earth ponies that can perform magic?” Twilight wonders aloud, her expression dumbfounded and voice full of surprise. “But, how is that possible? I thought only unicorns can do magic – “

Zecora shoots her a glance that says she’ll get to explaining everything in the meantime, and this causes Twilight to reluctantly zip her lips closed. They both return their attention to the shape-shifting liquid swimming in the cauldron.

“The Lookerponies, as they are called, are able to summon spirits of boon,” she continues, everypony listening intently. The onyx splotches shift into the curving shapes of moaning ghosts. Twilight swears she can nearly hear their cries of melancholy. “And the most powerful one, is, indeed, Nightmare Moon.

“The Lookerponies are adherents to the night, and frown upon the splendid aura of Celestia’s daylight. Nightmare Moon was once their royal leader, but when you six ponies showed her up that fateful night, the clan has grown weaker.”

The image then rearranges itself into a moving picture of Nightmare Moon’s remaining spirit slithering into a suspicious carving, weak-looking ponies traipsing steadily around it, their jaws unhinging and moving in a unsubtle manner.
“The clan keeps Nightmare Moon’s spirit, utterly separate from Luna’s, in a suspicious relic beyond the forest’s limit. And for years, every night before the Summer Sun Celebration, they use their power to lift her spirit into yonder’s ears, in attempts to conquer Celestia’s sunny haven.”

The blotchy image continues to shift with every scene, every few sentences, keeping the ponies gathered around it mesmerized with every shape it conjures up.

“The regal princesses know about this, of course, so they put both of their strength into their magic to veer the spirit off course. Every year they succeed, and the Lookerponies pay vengeful heed.
“Now, the camp is invisible to pony eyes, so your friend must have not been able to see it when she stumbled across it in surprise.”

“An invisible camp?” Twilight bursts out, clearly exceedingly baffled by the raw explanations Zecora is giving them. She thrusts out her hoof and upturns it questionably, nearly knocking over the pot of liquid in the process. Her violet eyes are bugged out. “This is making no sense! It’s clearly impossible unless you cast an invisibility spell, but that is only possible for the highest-level unicorns, and plus it’s difficult to link the spell to the morphic field of the object, let alone earth ponies being able to perform it themselves! How – “

This time, everypony in the room shoots her a silencing glare, as if her impolite outbursts bother the hair out of their manes. Twilight immediately shrinks back, then sticks out her lower lip and crosses her hooves, remaining entirely silent. She rests her eyes back on the pot, and Zecora continues.

“Nightmare Moon’s spirit has overtaken Rainbow Dash’s aid. And this, I am not sure why, I’m afraid. Either she needed a new home to dwell in, or she needed some immobile structure, one with legs, skin – everything she craves, in most chagrin.”

“Wait, so you’re saying that Nightmare Moon took over Rainbow because she wanted to be able to have a body of her own, since she’s just merely a spirit now?” Rarity says quizzically.

Zecora nods.

“Wait a moment,” Twilight begins, but before anyone can give her an irate look, the words are already spilling out of her mouth. “If Nightmare Moon is controlling Rainbow, then her spirit could make her do anything! She may even try to destroy the elements like she did the night Luna was released from her wicked prison, or worse! Oh, dear, poor Rainbow…” The back of her eyes burn with fresh tears. “What can we do?”

Her friends begin murmuring to one and other urgently, a few stealing quick sympathetic glances at the unconscious pony sprawled out on the sheets as their chatter increases. Zecora raises a hoof for silence.
“You must keep the spirit from festering. Twilight, my dear, I’m sure you know some spells that can keep it temporarily from pestering.”

Twilight chews on the inside of her cheek, pondering this languidly. “I suppose I could do some late night research…”
Zecora nods. “For now, you must, with one of you, let her stay, and treat her gently to keep the spirit at bay. If it starts to get worse, I will mix up some remedies to keep it transiently submerse.”

“Are ya sure that’s all we can do fer now, Zecora?” Applejack asks apprehensively.

“I’m afraid it is, my dear. Alas, this won’t fix itself, I queer.”

Twilight looks at the idle, cyan heap resting on the bed against the far wall. This won’t be easy, she fears. But she needs to protect her friend – they all need to protect their friend. It’s definitely a bump in the road they wish could’ve been avoided. But they need to do as Zecora says, at least try to keep the spirit at bay for a while. With a few advantageous spells and herbal remedies, it’ll hopefully keep Nightmare Moon assiduous in the meantime.

“Who’ll take her, then?”

A wave of silence washes over the room. The ponies exchange hesitant glances with each other, and some unhinge their jaws briefly to say something, only to acutely shut them again.

Of course everypony will be more than happy to keep care of Rainbow Dash, she’s one of their best friends. It’s just that everypony seems still a bit shaken by the – outburst Dash displayed earlier.

Before Twilight can open her mouth to automatically volunteer somepony, a timid voice like a leaf drifting gracefully on a serene breeze speaks up wearily.

“I’ll take her.”

All eyes turn towards Fluttershy, the one who’s been stuck in the middle of the murmuring, the exchange of glances; the one who’s been absolutely quiet during the whole dreary explanation with Zecora. The one who’s unquestionably terrified by all of this, terrified of the spirit, the horrible outbursts – but the one who’s brave enough to take Rainbow Dash into her care despite the chilling circumstances.

“Fluttershy, are you sure you’re okay with that?” Twilight asks gently.

The demure Pegasus seems to hesitate for a moment, but then she nods, her eyes deeming confidence, albeit bleak indecisiveness. “Yes. I’m always willing to help somepony in need, and obviously, Rainbow Dash here needs my help. Although – “ Fluttershy timidly drops her gaze to the floor, her voice lowering slightly. “ – I may need you guys to drop by and visit from time to time, you know… if that’s all right with you…”

Revering grins split the faces of everypony in the room. Pinkie Pie emits an honest-to-goodness giggle as Fluttershy’s demure words curl around her brain.

“Of course,” Twilight says, giggling hiccups apparent in her voice.

The spitting fire beneath the cauldron unexpectedly flickers on again, the flaring flames’ shadows dancing on the opposite wall, glaring off everypony’s coats and causing them to start in surprise. Zecora looms over the pot, giving the ponies an ushering stare with her vibrant eyes.

“Go, my little ponies, with haste,” she says, dismissing them with a single wave of her hoof. “There is not much time to waste.”

Applejack nods, tipping her tawny hat to the zebra respectively. “Thank ya, Zecora.” She turns to the bed, then swaps her emerald gaze to Twilight Sparkle, who somehow has an idea of what the farm pony is about to say. “Twi, you help me lift Rainbow onto mah back, and then we can get outta here and help ‘er get settled in Fluttershy’s house.”

Twilight nods briskly, walking over to the cyan pegasus’ side and gently nudging her foreleg with her nose. She’s still out cold.

Just then, Rarity speaks up in a voice brimming with utter distaste and dumbfounded befuddlement. “Does anypony remember Rainbow Dash having gray streaks in her mane?”

“Huh, what? I don’t – “

Twilight cranes her neck to examine what the ivory unicorn’s jabbing her perfectly-preserved, glistening hoof at. When her violet eyes rest there, at first, her eyebrows knit together in sheer bewilderment. Then, her face contorts into that of clear-and-absolute stupor.

“That’s – what? Wait, wait – what?”

Rarity is correct. There are two unhindered grayish streaks in Dash’s rainbow-coloured mane, as if they were just suddenly painted there by an intangible paintbrush. They’re meshed together into one blob, but the outcome is conspicuously apparent.

“What is the matter, my dears? Why are your expressions all muddled up in fear?” Zecora inquires, stepping up towards the cluster of ponies whose eyes were as wide as dinner plates.

“Zecora, do you know what this means?” Twilight asks, directing a hoof to the top of Rainbow’s head, where the streaks lay. “I don’t think they were there before, I’m sure…”

The zebra studies them acutely, her brain clearly addled. All she does after is stand upright again, and give them all an honest shrug.

“Doesn’t matter right now, y’all. All we need to focus on is gettin’ Rainbow feelin’ better, and that won’t happen if we keep standin’ around like a bunch of school foals nervous ‘bout their exams. Let’s get movin’!”

“Applejack’s right,” Twilight concedes, shifting her height so Dash’s foreleg slides easily over her withers. “There’s no time to lose.”

The farm pony cautiously slips her muzzle underneath Dash’s opposite foreleg, then her bristly back as Twilight helps in softly nudging her onto AJ’s withers, then makes sure she’s securely balanced on her posterior. Dash’s limbs hang loose, parallel to Applejack’s legs, and her head is neatly resting against the base of her muscular neck. Her gentle snores brush soothingly against the other pony’s orange skin, and the farm pony has to clamp her teeth down on her lower lip to keep from chuckling as the tickling sensation clots her senses.

“Thank you so much, Zecora,” Twilight acknowledges. “We’ll be sure to let you know if anything goes awry.”
Zecora nods, an appeased grin tugging at the corners of her lips. “Let me know, you shall. I’m glad I could be of help to you all.”

The ponies file out of her home, one by one, only looking back to shoot her a grin or a meaningful wave. Twilight gives her a short hug before bounding out the door, closing it shut behind her as she follows the others back to Ponyville.

: : : :

Oh, Celestia. It’s happening again.

The visions – at first a blank, fully-fledged moonlit sky, then total blackness for miles. Then, evil laughter erupting boisterously, and it seems as if it’s coming from every direction possible. Indigo mist, unnerving, glassy eyes, blue armor, a face as black as night, flashing on and off on invisible screens surrounding her, bearing down on her, so close that even the dreadful illusions of a masked alicorn can probably hear her heart drumming against her chest.

The images halting, and seeing her friends – oh, her friends. All strung up like clothing dangling from a thin wire, everything snatched away from them as if they’re just useless toys that somepony decided to throw away. Just their coats, their flimsy bodies. Their lives. Gone.

The last thing she remembers from the visions is the mirror revealing her reflection, but not quite herself. A face – a face bearing violence and immorality, injustice and anger. The face of a monster that tried to reign over Equestria with eternal darkness the night the Elements of Harmony overtook her and turned her into a mere speck of dust, despite the princess that rose out from her ghastly spirit.

The visions – or nightmares, as Rainbow Dash likes to call them – are inadequately frequent, it seems, and they seem to pervade her mind every time she falls unconscious. And they’re always the same one. Although they come and go at a fast rate, as if you’re delicately fast-forwarding through the images, they still keep her mind boggled and leave her thoroughly frightened.

Rainbow Dash has an epiphany, however. If the nightmares keep coming back to her, then are they some sort of abnormal, hidden message that’s trying to make their way through her head? Are they a look into the future, or are they just a vivid dream that keeps occurring for no apparent reason? Dash usually finds herself hoping it’s the latter, instead of the first two theories that come to mind. Everything about it keeps nagging at her brain like pesky insects, and it’s actually become quite irritating.

: : : :

“Would you like another cup of noodle soup, Rainbow Dash?” Fluttershy asks the drowsy Pegasus lying sluggishly on the couch, a mountain of fuzzy blankets thrown overtop her and a couple of flocculent pillows nearly swallowing her head.

It’s been three days since their visit with Zecora, and Rainbow Dash is fitfully living in the courteous care of Fluttershy, the critter-permeated house and consoling smells wafting around her making her feel more and more at home. The cyan Pegasus is very grateful towards her friend for aiding her, but the constant pessimistic aura Fluttershy gives off whenever Dash unveils a cough or two has sort of pushed her along the teetering edge of the mountain of annoyance. And Rainbow Dash doesn’t feel the need to be treated like a foal, albeit she knows her close friend means well, even if she can get a little fervent in accommodating the rainbow Pegasus every so often.

Honestly, though, Fluttershy’s magic in nursing her has really been paying off. The medicine she’s been forcing down her throat usually calms her churning stomach and throbbing headaches she’s been receiving now and again. And fortunately, she hasn’t had the nauseating feeling of needing to pass out again for a while, although when she reluctantly falls asleep at night, the nightmares still drag her down into their hold.

The visions keep her up all night, every night. Every time they pervade her head, she immediately bolts up in bed, her heart pounding fiercely and sweat rolling down her coat like a hot shower. She refuses to slumber, and dark bags propped under her eyes gives ponies the impression that she’s developed insomnia. Fluttershy has, of course, noticed too, and tries anything like giving her sleep medicines to help her, although they never work. She thinks that the pegasus may be hiding something from her, but she always pries herself away from burrowing any deeper into the ill Rainbow Dash’s mind.

Dash’s other friends stop by now and again to pay a visit as well, sometimes bearing small gifts or just a hearty nature in conversing in a bright conversation with her. It makes her feel less ailing and more high-tailed in elevated spirits. Rarity even had the courtesy to bring her a flowing, fleecy cape bordered with cerulean sequins and plush fluff packed inside that she put together herself, claiming she merely “whipped it up at the last minute” before visiting her. Applejack brought a few home-made apple fritters and a crisp, warm apple pie to her bedside table, and later Pinkie Pie brought a rainbow-iced marble cake, Dash’s favorite. The savvy party pony also suggested throwing an unpremeditated party on the spot, but reluctantly got shooed out by Fluttershy who claimed that Rainbow Dash was still too under the weather to converse in such wild entertainment at the moment. The next day, Twilight dropped by the solemn cottage to probe Rainbow Dash with a few new spells she’d been reading up on all night. The spells worked like a charm when her heated, queasy levels were heightening, and the cyan Pegasus nearly felt like her sickness was draining out of her like a funnel.

Rainbow Dash tears her eyes away from her Daring Do book, fixing Fluttershy with an allusive gaze. She marks her place, carefully setting the book on the wooden table beside her. “No, thanks, Fluttershy,” she yawns, eyes momentarily drooping. “I think I’ve had enough soup for now.”

Fluttershy nods submissively and turns to leave the room, only to be halted queerly by Dash’s croaking voice.
“Hey, Fluttershy, do you think I could start flying again, like, now? I’m very grateful, and all, but being cooped up in here for three days now is totally not cool anymore.”

Fluttershy understands her friend’s beseeching need to find herself through her wings and tear through the clear summer air, but it’s also important that she got some fitful rest right about now, and her usual tentative physique gives away her hesitation. She chews on her lower lip. “I… I don’t know, Rainbow Dash. I mean, I know this is uncomfortable for you and all, but I think you should maybe try and rest for now. You’re still not quite better yet, and I need to make sure you’re fully okay before letting you fly again.”

“Aw, come on, Fluttershy! Please?”

“I said no, and no means no.”

Favorably, Fluttershy’s gotten a lot better as standing her ground since her encounter with Iron Will. She inwardly smiles at herself for being so bold with her more assertive friend.

“Fluttershy – “ Dash begins to whine.

“Don’t argue with me, missy, or you'll get – The Stare!”

Rainbow Dash pauses, succinctly cocking one of her eyebrows. Then, she bursts into a fit of laughter, only halting concisely to wince when a stiff joint in her neck painfully wrenches. She clutches her sides, struggling to speak words between her fits of gasping giggles. “Oh, please, that won’t work on me!”

The butter-yellow pegasus then fastens her cerulean eyeballs securely to her opponent, her eyes deeply penetrating the other’s rose-coloured orbs. They stare deep past her flesh, her bones, her blood and ligaments until they reach her soul. As if they’d suddenly grown a pair of gnarled claws, they flex and clutch her beating heart between folds of non-existent skin.

Rainbow Dash suddenly falls short of her laughter, and she regrettably finds herself slithering deeper under the heap of blankets and feathery pillows. Her eyes are locked on Fluttershy’s, unable to move away, and she emits a groan, trying to not let her valorous physique slip away from her.

Unfortunately, it does. “Okay, okay, fine, sheesh,” she sighs, reluctantly giving in to her friend’s disapproving eyeballs. “You can stop now. It’s kind of freaking me out.”

Fluttershy blinks, a grin of satisfaction splitting her face. Then, usual concern shrouds her turquoise eyes. “Now, I think you should get some sleep. Please?” she adds when Dash gives her an unwilling glance.

Dash sighs, inwardly throwing her hooves up in defeat. “Fine.”

“Thank you.”

“Yeah, whatever.”

Dash buries her nose under the covers, closing her eyes, feigning sleep. The lights flicker off, and she waits until the sound of Fluttershy’s dainty, careful hoofsteps grow fainter and fainter until they disappear completely. Then, she gives one quick glance around, making sure she’s desirably alone, and flicks on the outstretched lamp hanging across her head. She cracks open the Daring Do book, snuggling deeper into Rarity’s fluffy cloak, her fatigued eyes drooping cumbersomely as they read about the pony’s adventures on the outskirts of a deserted island.

It must keep her awake long enough so the nightmares don’t detain her in their solid grips again, although she wishes she could escape the world for just a few moments as her stomach violently begins to twist for the third time this day.

Author's Note:

For those who have been waiting, I apologize that this chapter had to come late. Got caught up in a few things. It's hard making these chapters long...

The next chapter should be published sometime this weekend, or early next week, for sure.