• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 3,255 Views, 34 Comments

My Dream Mare - Lysis



My version of the classic confession story, turned on its head.

  • ...
7
 34
 3,255

A Misunderstanding

Applejack woke with a start, her body covered in sweat.

She’d had another of those dreams, and just like all the rest, it had left her breathless. Panting, she looked around at the darkened bedroom dimly lit by moonlight coming through the nearby window. She knew she wouldn’t be getting back to sleep. Not after a dream like that...

Well, that, and the fact that she’d have to get up in about an hour anyway to start working. Mostly though, it was the dream keeping her up.

Consarn it, Dash! If only ya knew how good ya are at doin’ this to me...

A part of her found it ridiculous that the thoughts and dreams managed to keep her up like this, but on the other hoof, they weren’t normal dreams. Not hardly. There wasn’t anything normal about dreaming herself... doing that with another mare...

Just thinking about it was enough to make Applejack blush deeply, thankful she was hidden in the darkness and solitude of her room. The memories of the dream were still so fresh: she could easily recall a few key moments if she-

No! Those are bad thoughts, Applejack!

She scolded herself like a little schoolfilly for even thinking about thinking about them.

One half wanted to buck herself as hard as she could for thinking like that while the other half kept whispering that it couldn’t be wrong if it felt so right. Why else would she look forward to the dreams every night? Why else would she imagine each of them coming true?

...Why did she ever have to fall in love with her best friend?

Applejack pressed her head back into her pillow, her ragged breathing gradually returning to normal as she forced herself to think calmer, safer thoughts. Just as she was starting to relax again, she froze, hearing the creak of the door as it slowly opened, dim light from the hallway spilling in. Bolting upright, she saw Apple Bloom standing in the doorway, groggily rubbing her eyes.

“Apple Bloom,” Applejack asked, confused, “what’re you doin’ up so early? You don’t have school for another three hours. What’s wrong with you?”

Apple Bloom yawned. “Nothin’s wrong with me, sis. Ah was jus’ worried about you. Ah heard noises in here. Yer alright, arent’cha?”

“Oh. Er...” Horseapples... Ah woke her up? Applejack nervously flicked her tail under the sheets, hoping Apple Bloom wouldn’t be able to see her strained smile in the gloom. “A-Ah’m fine, Apple Bloom, really. Sorry for wakin’ you up.”

“S’ok,” she yawned again. “Not the firs’ time it’s happened,” she added in a half whisper as she turned to leave.

Applejack felt her gut drop through the floor.

“W-wait Apple Bloom, whadda ya mean it’s not the first time it’s happened?” As soon as the words passed her lips, she felt very stupid for even asking. What else could Apple Bloom have possibly meant?

As for Apple Bloom, she blinked and turned around.

“Ah mean ‘zactly what I said! It’s not th’ first time Ah’ve been woken up. Mostl’y it’s jus’ by a noise outside or sumthin’. Sometimes it’s owls that wake me up.” She paused thoughtfully before continuing, “Ah don’ think it was any of those that woke you up tho’... Are ya havin’ nightmares, sis?”

“Oh. Er... I’m, uh... No, it wasn’t a nightmare, Apple Bloom. Just a dream.”

“...Musta’ been some dream then.”

“Yeah... some dream,” Applejack chuckled softly.

Apple Bloom tilted her head to the side. “Why’s yer face all red, Applejack?”

Applejack suddenly had a very strong urge to bury her face into her pillow again.

“It... I... I-it’s jus’ warm in here, that’s all! Ah’m just hot!”

“Eh,” she shrugged. “... whatev’r ya say, sis. Ah’m glad yer okay but Ah’m tired, so Ah’m goin’ back ta bed.”

“A’course, Apple Bloom!” she agreed just a little faster than was necessary. “Ah’m sorry you got woken up in the firs’ place. I’ll get you up for school like always in a few hours, so jus’ go back to sleep.” An’ please, by Celestia, forget this ever happened.

With yet another large yawn and a few tottering steps, Apple Bloom turned around and went back to her room. It was only after Applejack saw the hall light go out and heard her door closing that she let out a sigh of relief.

The silence of the room was stifling, and in the quiet it was easy for her mind to start wandering again.

Ah can’t believe I woke her up... she heard noises from me? What in the hay was I doin’ while I was having that dream... ’bout... Dash...?

Well, she could guess what she’d been doing while she was asleep, and she remembered enough of the dream to know it had been more of a roll in the hay than anything else. She remembered Dash’s smile, how they’d held each other close... the whispering... the nuzzling… that first kiss... and then… how they’d-

Applejack couldn’t suppress a hot shiver at recalling the memory, the sensation coursing through her body before being replaced by an overwhelming sense of… frustration.

Dammit, Applejack! There’s no point in thinkin’ about Dash that way! It’d never work out... she ain’t like you...

She tossed aside the covers. As the chill in the room hit her exposed body for the first time she realized how much that last dream had really made her sweat. It covered her from head to hoof. It was all over her.

The sheets would need washing. Again.

Angry at herself, she stormed over to the window and threw it open, letting in a nice fresh breeze to help dry her off. She rested her head on the windowsill.

Her mind started wandering. Again.

Applejack easily remember how she’d first met Dash; she’d met her long before the other girls. Dash had been sleeping in one of her favorite trees, one she’d named Sweetblossom. At the time, Applejack had been angry, thinking Dash was a thief after some free apples... Nowadays she thought about it differently. Why would she have chosen a hard tree branch over a soft cloud if she’d wanted to take a nap? That was Dash, though... doing the unexpected.

That was a good way to describe it; unexpected. Applejack couldn’t explain it otherwise.

She would have never guessed back then that she’d be thinking and dreaming about that same mare this way.

For years, the land had been her sole love. She’d never had the time for colts while she was in school and she’d poured all her free time and energy into Sweet Apple Acres when classes were over. It was all about the well being of her family. She’d never spent much time worrying about herself. Her work ethic paid off, but had an unfortunate side effect; despite living her whole life in Ponyville, she’d never really known its residents.

Once she’d met Dash though, all that changed. For the first time she could remember, she had a friend. Not just a friend, a best friend - somepony to hang out with, somepony that could keep up with her. An equal that just happened to be a pegasus with a free spirit, big dreams and even bigger ambition.

The dreams started a year after she’d met Dash. There weren’t many of them, but they were vivid and they lasted: staying with her even after she woke up. To this day she had yet to forget a single one.

At the time, she had felt angry and conflicted. Mostly just angry.

It’s not like Ah’m onea them ‘fillyfoolers’! Ah like boys just fine!”

She knew she’d been lying to herself. If she really wasn’t some ‘fillyfooler’ then why was it always Dash - another mare - in her dreams? Why was it that Dash would always return her feelings in those dreams, as if she felt the same way? Then again, if she was a fillyfooler, why was it only Dash that had that effect on her? Why not other pretty mares?

Again, part of her knew the answer; because Dash was special, not just another pretty mare. Although, she was that, too.

It took Applejack a while to finally accept it, and longer still to embrace it. Once she had, the dreams stopped. She never once mentioned the dreams to anypony else, least of all Dash. It hadn’t felt right at the time to bring it up. A few years passed without incident, without anyone learning about her secret.

Then just last summer, she’d met Twilight and the other girls and started going on adventures with them all. During those few, short months up until autumn, she’d gotten to know Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and even made friends with Rarity, Ponyville’s resident fashionista; a pony she’d never had anything but animosity for until a sleepover at Twilight’s changed all that.

Her daily life was suddenly full of laughter, adventure, and above all, friendship. It was probably the second happiest time in her life, right after when Dash and her had become best friends.

Everything took a turn for the worse though when that year’s “Running of the Leaves” came around. Not only did the dreams come back stronger than ever, but Dash … she also changed. Almost every time Applejack had tried to talk to her afterwards, Dash had found some excuse not to hang around with her and Applejack didn’t have a single clue as to why.

At the time, seeming to lose her best and oldest friend for no reason at all wasn’t even the worst part. Dash might have been avoiding her, but almost every afternoon she’d hide in a tree or on a cloud and watch the orchard for hours at a time while Applejack worked. Dash would just watch her...

Dash had started watching her a week after the race. The first few times she’d done it, Applejack had been confused but happy. She’d felt sure that Dash would come back around to being her friend sometime soon. After a while though, with things staying the same, the happiness started to fade and was replaced by despair.

She asked herself why. Why did Dash keep hiding in apple trees and clouds, watching the orchard during the days? What was she watching... who was she watching? Could there be some truth to her fantasies - that Dash was spending all those hours watching her?

She couldn’t see how it was possible, considering that there was a far more obvious pony for Dash to be spying on: Big Macintosh. It’d made far more sense to her back then, and still did.

Her brother had caught the eye of other mares before, but he’d always turned them down politely. If Macintosh was waiting for the right mare to come along, and if that mare happened to be Dash, what would she do? What could she do? Probably just be happy for the two of them at least. Keeping her family happy was in the best interests of the farm, after all. She’d try to stop any jealousy from getting in the way, if they wanted each other.

It didn’t make any sense though. Dash had been watching even when Big Macintosh wasn’t working. And if she was after Mac, why would she be avoiding her like that? If she was after Macintosh, she’d still spend time with her...

Applejack felt hot tears run down her cheeks and splash on the windowsill. She didn’t bother trying to stop them.

...Ah miss her.

For a while Applejack stood there at the window, letting the cool morning breeze wash over her and help ease the stress out of her system. A few minutes later she wiped the few remaining tears from her face.

Dammit all... I’m not supposed to cry. I’m stronger than that.

Applejack wasn’t sure if it was knowing she didn’t have a chance with Dash that was setting her off, or more uncertainty, or just the stress of everything coming to a head. It was all just sort of bleeding together that night. Whatever the cause was, the dreams weren’t helping either. This wasn’t a problem she could fix. She couldn’t and didn’t want to do anything about her feelings; just like she couldn’t and didn’t want to do anything about the dreams. She hadn’t once been able to bring herself to confront Dash while she was hiding and watching all those times.

All she could do was work as hard as possible. If Dash was watching Mac, let her watch him! Macintosh could do whatever he wanted, and she had no right to interfere in any of it - or any of Dash’s voyerisms. Applejack had worked twice as hard as usual when she was around, putting on just as good a show as Mac did! She didn’t have anything to be ashamed of, one way or another!

‘Sides, Dash would’a said something by now if she felt anythin’...

Thoughts like that wouldn’t help matters or make her feel any better. Hard work would. She needed to wash up, go downstairs, and prepare for the day anyway. Macintosh would already be up making breakfast for himself. At least she’d have company... Maybe they could talk a little. She’d like that: some simple conversation to get her mind onto the things that mattered. Applejack closed the window and turned to head to the washroom.

If she’d looked over her shoulder and back through the window though, she might have seen a pegasus swoop in to lie down on a cloud hanging over the orchard.



Big Mac was already in the kitchen, having gotten up early (like always) to prepare himself for the long day of work ahead. He’d just finished heating some water on the stove for oatmeal and already had a pot of coffee ready. He turned, surprised, as he heard hoofsteps coming down from upstairs.

“Mornin’, AJ. What’re you doin’ up so early?” His easy, strung out drawl was soothing, already helping Applejack relax a little bit more. It must have been a gift her brother had.

“I couldn’t sleep, Macintosh. Ah think I’m gonna start early today.”

“Mmm,” he hummed. “Well, have a seat. I’ll get you somethin’ hot to drink inna minute.”

“Thanks,” she sighed. “Ah could use it. Granny Smith alright?”

“She’s fine. Still sleepin’ when I looked in on her.”

He finished pouring a large mug of hot coffee, placing it on a tray and setting it down in front of her. Applejack glumly stared into the drink, studying her reflection. She looked haggard; there were bags under her eyes and her mane was going every which way. Even after freshening up, she didn’t look very fresh. She didn’t really care anymore.

“Sugar?” he asked.

“Two- no, three. Thanks.” Just the way she liked it.

Black as midnight, sweet as a stolen kiss, Applejack thought wistfully to herself as she took her first sip. Well... no, not as sweet as a kiss... not nearly...

She might have wanted to talk to Big Mac before, but not now. She didn’t feel up to it anymore.

Big Macintosh didn’t say anything about his sister’s somber expression, pouring his own coffee and ladling out some hot oats for the two of them before taking a seat next to his sister. While he tucked in, Applejack just stared at her bowl, taking small halfhearted sips of coffee.

No hint of a smile anywhere; mane untied and uncombed; she’d even left her treasured hat upstairs. Mac could tell something was wrong with her, but then again... there’d been something wrong with her for a while.

“Applejack,” he said, breaking the silence. “It bothers me to see you this unhappy.”

He got a heavy sigh and a halfhearted glare in response.

“D’you want to talk about it, AJ? Sumthin’s been on your mind for a long time now. I can see it. You’re not as happy as you used to be.”

“Mac, I’m not... aww, who am I kiddin’?” Applejack heard her voice crack, but wouldn’t let herself cry in front of her brother. “Yer right. Of course yer right. You’re almost always right. Even Apple Bloom’s guessed right. Ah need some help...”

“Eeeyup. Ain’t hard to guess, though. Pretty obvious somethin’s off with you. I’d like my happy little sister back. I don’t like seeing you mopin’ around all day.”

“Ah do not ‘mope around all day’, Macintosh!”

“Keep sayin’ that, Applejack. You always were the worst liar I’ve ever known.” He got a light shove in the shoulder for his candidness. He waited until Applejack took another sip before continuing, “Is it because that pegasus friend of yours stopped hangin’ around with you?”

Applejack almost choked on her coffee.

“Mmhmm,” hummed Macintosh to himself. “Thought so. What happened between you two? I used to see you t’gether a lot.”

“I don’t know what happened,” Applejack answered honestly. “Ah wish I did know, but it... it hurts, you know Macintosh? I don’t know why she ain’t talkin’ to me anymore.” She sighed. Macintosh refilled her cup and dropped in a few more sugarcubes. She thanked him, and went back to looking at herself in the black drink.

“Macintosh... can I ask you somethin’ personal?”

“I guess you can.”

“Erm... how many mares have... uh, well, you know... Wanted to talk to you? In private? I mean, how many… told you that they... that they have feelin’s for ya? Er, ‘confessed’? Wanted to-”

“I know what ya mean AJ,” Big Mac interrupted, saving Applejack from embarrassing herself any further. “Hmm... a few. Some were direct, some not so much. None’a them were her though.”

“Who’s ‘her’, Macintosh?” she asked, half confused and half sick with worry. She had to know now, one way or another. No matter how much it might hurt her.

“Well...” he said thoughtfully, “there’s one mare I’ve had my eye on for a long time. Jus’ me though. Ah don’t think she knows I exist.”

“Sure she does,” moped Applejack. What with her watchin’ you all the time? Sure she does...

“No, I don’t think she does. I’ve never talked to her, and... well, I just don’t think we have much in common.”

That’s probably true, but...

“‘Sides, Miss Fluttershy’s too timid. I’d scare her off if Ah ever asked her out.”

What!?” Applejack’s head whipped around, eyes wide. “What’d you just say, Macintosh?”

“Ah’m talking about Miss Fluttershy,” Macintosh repeated. “I’d like to ask her out sometime, but... I don’ know how to do it. If I asked, she’d probably run away, or agree ‘cuz she’d be nervous about sayin’ no to somepony like me. Ah’m not exactly the most approachable guy around.”

“Well. I... well that’s, uh... interestin’, Macintosh,” Applejack stuttered, still shocked. “I... hadn’t guessed you were after Fluttershy, of all ponies.”

“Well, not ‘after’, I’d just like to talk with her sometime, you know?”

Applejack shook her head, torn between relief and indecision, not knowing whether to be happy or sad with the news. Macintosh might not be pining for Dash after all, but that didn’t mean Dash still didn’t have her eye on him. She hadn’t really figured out anything after all.

Macintosh sat watching her silently as she tried to process what he’d said. He frowned, considering whether he should speak up or not. He hesitated at first, but finally gave in. His sister was far too stubborn to just come out and say what was obvious to him.

“...Applejack, I’d hoped I wouldn’t have to be so direct, but if you think you love her so much, why don’t you just tell her? Can’t be that difficult.”

“What... are you talkin’ about, Macintosh?” Applejack asked, not sure if she’d heard right.

“That other pegasus pony friend of yours. Look, it’s pretty simple; if you’ve got such a huge problem, you gotta go an’ talk to her. Just get it over with and tell her that you love her. It can’t hurt anythin’.”

For a while, Applejack couldn’t say or do anything but sit at the table blankly staring into her coffee. This time she actually saw the blush spread across her face.

“...How’d you know, Macintosh?”

“You talk in your sleep, sis.”

Oh. Really? Do I? What- but if I do that though, wouldn’t Apple Bloom...? Oh no, that’s what she meant by ‘noises’ !

A look of panic spread across Applejack’s face. Before she could say anything though, Macintosh put a hoof to her mouth to stop her.

“Apple Bloom doesn’t know anythin’ about what’s been goin’ on. I told her a long time ago ya were just dreaming about how things used to be. Before that pegasus started ditchin’ you.”

The relief Applejack felt in knowing that Apple Bloom was still in the dark was short lived - as Macintosh finished, something he’d been doing while they were talking finally clicked into place and it didn’t sit well with her.

Her ears flattened against her head as she gave Macintosh a proper glare, sitting up straight to look him square in the eyes.

“Darn it Macintosh, her name is Rainbow Dash! Quit callin’ her ‘pegasus’! You weren’t talkin’ about Fluttershy that way!”

“Well, sure. But she’s a different kind of pony; farthest kind of pony from Rainbow Dash you can imagine. Fluttershy’s got a better personality, a better attitude, she’s good with animals, she’s not selfish-”

“What do you have against Dash? I thought you actually liked her - that’s why Ah hadn’t ever brought it up with her before!”

Applejack didn’t mean to be so defensive, but dammit, Macintosh was crossing a line! He wasn’t being fair with Dash, and she wasn’t even there to defend herself!

As for Macintosh, he just sat there, unflinching.

“I’m more interested in why you’d think I’d ever want anythin’ to do with Rainbow Dash,” he said slowly. “Me, I couldn’t care less about that puffed-up flypony. She ain’t my type at all: she’s a boastful show off with an ego so big ya couldn’t spit without missin’ it. Far as I can tell, she’s got no redeemin’ qualities at all.”

“Ah can’t believe what I’m hearin’ come outta you! Of course Dash has good qualities!”

“...Alright, fine,” he admitted. “I don’t know much about Dash, but I do know she was your friend for a long time. I know there was somethin’ in her you saw that I still haven’t. So what was it? Why do you love her, AJ?”

“Ah love her for her fearlessness! The way she’s willin’ to help out, no matter what the problem. How she... ya know, how she takes life by the tail and makes it do what she wants it to! Dash has spirit, she ain’t afraid of the unknown!” Well... that, and she’s the sexiest pony Ah’ve ever seen...

“You mean she’s ‘wild and free’? If you ask me, I’d say that’s exactly the kinda’ pony you should be avoiding. Those kinds’a ponies don’t really care much for relationships,” Macintosh said bluntly.

“Macintosh, yer jus’ … yer jus’ wrong! Dash ain’t like that … she’s not that one dimensional! Ah know she’s a better pony than what you think of ‘er! I jus’ know it!”

“So you know because you know?”

“Keep yer fancy reasonin’ outta this, Macintosh! You said it yourself, Ah was Dash’s best friend so I know her better than any other pony in alla Ponyville! That’s a guarantee. You’ll just have to take my word for it Macintosh - that ‘flypony’ is more than you think she is... an I believe in her.”

Macintosh shrugged. “You still haven’t answered my other question; why would you have ever thought Dash an’ I were an item, Applejack?”

“Well... that’s easy. I mean, she’s always watching the orchards when you’re working! I’d just thought she had her eyes on you or somethin’!”

“Was she now?” He raised an eyebrow, his passive expression suddenly gone.

“Yeah, from clouds or trees. She’s been doin’ it for about six months. Since last fall, Ah think.”

“Hurrrm...” Macintosh took a few seconds to think, his look of surprise replaced by a scowl. “Was she only watching when Ah was working, or did she watch when you were workin’ too?”

“Well, I... Ah don’t know. She watched when I was workin’ alone, but if ya didn’t notice her when you were workin’, how can Ah answer you?”

Macintosh huffed, but kept his voice even. “She shouldn’ta done that. Spying on you? That ain’t right. You should’a said somethin’ about it earlier. She must have been botherin’ you. I’ll have to have a talk with her about it...”

“Macintosh, just stop. Please.” Applejack had a hoof out on his shoulder. “You don’t need to get mad at her for watchin’ me.”

“Why not? Why did you put up with it for so long?”

“Well... I guess it was just wishful thinkin’ at the time, but... Ah kinda liked it... a lot. I like bein’ watched by Dash.”

“...You do, huh? You really like her that much?” Applejack nodded slowly. “... Look, jus’ go talk to her, an’ get this out of your system.”

“Macintosh, I-”

“No. Don’t talk to me - I’m not the pony you need to talk to.” He got up from his chair, gently brushing her outstretched hoof aside. “Ah need to start work anyway. I’ll see you outside in a few minutes.”

Macintosh walked out without another word, leaving his food half eaten and Applejack looking crestfallen. She hadn’t felt up to eating anything in the first place, and even less so now.

She sighed for what felt like the hundredth time that morning, not knowing whether to feel happy or sad... Sure, Macintosh wasn’t actually gunning for Dash and from what he’d said she’d likely be the last mare he’d ever be interested in. He didn’t seem to like her at all and it worried her almost as much as the imaginary relationship had.

At the very least, it meant that there wasn’t anything stopping her from flat-out asking Rainbow Dash anymore. Of course, the problem now was how to do it. They were such simple words… just four little words that had played out in her dreams for weeks and weeks and weeks...

Dash, I love you.

More often than not, it was actually Dash who had come out in the dreams and said it: Applejack, I love you.

Dash was always adorable in the dreams, often showing sides of herself that Applejack had never seen before; a nervous side, or a shy side... of course, those versions were just dreams! Nothing more than wishful thinking...

Applejack realized she’d been daydreaming again. She got up from the table and walked out the door into the cool morning air. Maybe it would help clear her head once and for all.

The stars were beautiful in the dusk, the moon still casting its pale glow over the apple trees. The dawn was far away and the sun’s light was just starting to cast a rosy glow in the sky.

A nearby cloud caught her eye... a small cloud, like the kind Dash always liked to take naps on...

- - -

Rainbow Dash gazed down on Applejack from her cloud, wondering what she was doing up this early. Her hat wasn’t anywhere to be seen, and her untied mane looked messy. On any other day Dash would have done anything to see Applejack with her hair down and her hat off, but this was different. She got the feeling that something was wrong. As she looked closer, her curiosity turned to concern.

Applejack looked depressed, beaten, and tired. Her ears were flat against her head, her shoulders slumped. She looked for all the world like a pony who needed someone else to give her a hug. Somepony to help her...

Wingboners be damned, Applejack needed her! Without considering what would happen next, Dash rolled off the cloud and started gliding down. Applejack seemed to spot her immediately judging by the way she froze up with her mouth hanging open.

Dash’s ground approach, as usual, was perfect. She touched down lightly and tucked her wings tightly against her sides. So far so good, she thought, but she was already getting a little nervous. She gulped, resolving to try her best to keep her wings down. Even if they didn’t behave, she knew it wouldn’t be important. Applejack was all that was important right then and she was still staring at her through wide eyes, visibly shocked that she’d shown up.

Why’s AJ looking at me like that? Never mind, not important! She started trotting over towards Applejack. Okay Dash, just play it cool. Ask her what’s wrong.

“Hey… AJ... Morning! I uh... I was watching you and I... well, is something wrong with you?” Oh, ponyfeathers. That didn’t come out right.

Applejack’s expression softened for a moment while she thought. She nodded slowly, frowning.

“Yeah... yeah, Dash, there’s somethin’ wrong, all right.” Her voice had a hard edge to it that Dash wasn’t expecting. She almost took a step back, but stopped herself.

“Okay so, uh... what is it?”

“It’s a lotta things... things that ain’t easy to talk about.” She motioned off to the side. “Can we take a walk?”

“S-sure.”

- - -

Applejack led the way for Dash, walking out into the nearby orchards. The trees loomed over them silently, casting long shadows in the dawn. Dash was feeling more and more skittish, being this close to Applejack. Despite looking haggard and tired and having dark circles under her eyes and a frown on her face instead of a smile - despite all that, she was still beautiful.

It could never be easy, could it?

- - -

Macintosh ain’t anywhere aroun’, Applejack thought to herself. An’ Winona’s still sleepin’. Good. She needed to be alone to do this. If Dash was going to drop out of the sky and walk right up to her... it was almost like a gift from Celestia.

“Hey, AJ...?” she heard Dash ask, sounding uncertain, “I uh... I saw Big Macintosh come out of your house not too long ago. Did you and him have a fight or something?”

“...No, not really, Rainbow Dash. We had a talk. A talk about somethin’ we shoulda’ talked about a long time ago.”

“Well, okay. So what’d you talk about?”

Applejack went quiet. This is it, Macintosh. You wanted me to talk with her, I’m talkin’ with her. I’ll be doin’ it my way though.

“We were talkin’ about you.” She whipped around suddenly, startling Dash. “You’ve been avoidin’ me for months, Dash. That’s what me an’ Macintosh were talkin’ about. Six months now,“ she growled, her voice growing in volume with each passing word. “It’s been six months of you wantin’ to be as far away from me as possible! Six months of makin’ me wonder what the hay I ever did to deserve my best friend ditchin’ me like that!”

Dash was struck dumb - she was speechless. It had been ages since she’d seen Applejack angry, let alone this angry. She racked her brain for a quick answer and fell back on the old standby.

“W-well it’s not my fault!” she blurted out. “I’ve been real busy practicing!”

“An’ just how is that ‘not your fault’, Dash?” Applejack asked, raising an eyebrow. “T’aint like yer being called away for weather work. You keep tellin’ me you’re taking time to practice stunts, or whatever. That ain’t work! That’s nothin’ but play!”

“Well … well, you buck apples, don’t you?” Dash was looking away, not making eye contact with her.

“Sure,” offered Applejack, not sure where this was going.

“Well, that’s your job, so you do it. With me, weather work is just a side thing. You know for me it’s the Wonderbolts or bust. I’ve gotta be able to impress them, so practicing my tricks is pretty much a requirement! If I’m not the best flier with the best tricks, then I don’t get in!”

Applejack scowled and shook her head. “Rainbow Dash, Ah’ve heard you give that excuse for months, an’ you should be ashamed of yerself for ever thinking I’d swallow it! I never have and your tricks’re already fine. There’s some other reason yer avoidin’ me, isn’t there?”

“Now hang on a second here,” Dash said, starting to sweat a little. “I had a good reason for not hanging out with you, and I’m sor-”

“There’s another side to it,” Applejack interrupted. “You’ve been tellin’ me one thing and doin’ another, haven’t ya?” Element of Loyalty, my flank.

“What are you talking about, AJ?”

Dash was getting more and more nervous by the second, and Applejack wasn’t helping matters. She was pacing back and forth, glaring at Dash, gradually getting closer to her. She had to make her position clear, but there wasn’t any way to do it gently. Dash would obviously deny it, judging from the way she was already acting.

Applejack decided to cut to the chase; maybe it would catch Dash off guard and she’d let something slip.

“...You’ve been watchin’ me work, haven’t you, Dash?”

Just like she’d expected, Dash’s eyes went wide in surprise.

“W-what?! No!” Dash stammered out. “I... uh... well, that is, I-”

“You think Ah didn’t see you?”

“I, um... well, no, but-”

Ha! So Dash was watchin’ me.

At that moment, Applejack knew for sure. With a steely glint in her eyes, she backed Rainbow Dash against a tree and pointed a hoof right at her chest.

“Dash, I wanna hear you admit it! You’ve been watchin’ me for months now, haven’t ya? You like makin’ me feel like this?!”

“Well... Well, I...” Shoot! Cmon, Dash, think of something, don’t just stand there like an idiot!

Applejack had Dash right where she wanted her. She leaned in closer, dropping her voice.

“You just curious about how a farmpony works her land, or does it go deeper than that? Is that it? Do ya like watchin’ me work? Did I always put on a good show for you? Did it make ya happy? Was it everythin’ you expected?”

She’d leaned in so close her nose rubbed against Rainbow Dash’s. She could see the blush spread across Dash’s face.

Dash felt a powerful tingling sensation run down her back, spreading into her wings. They started trembling.

Oh, hailstones! Dash thought in a panic. Not now, please not now!

It was already too late. Just like they had a half an hour ago, her wings suddenly popped up into the air. Dash could actually feel the heat coming off of her face; it was so red. Applejack raised an eyebrow and took a step back, a curious expression replacing the frown for a moment.

“Uh... Dash? Did your wings just...?”

“N-never mind them!” Dash hissed through clenched teeth, suddenly more embarrassed than she could ever remember being. And right in front of Applejack... she wouldn’t be able to explain her way out of it... there simply wasn’t a way to talk yourself out of something like this. Not when taken in with the blush, too.

Neither one was an outright admission, but they were more than enough for Applejack. She couldn’t help but grin a little at the sight as poor Dash blushed furiously. Now that she had her answer though, it was time to act on it.

Ah’ve talked too much.

She suddenly leaned forwards and kissed Rainbow Dash square on the lips. Then, breaking the kiss to nuzzle her neck instead, she threw her her forelegs around her in the tightest hug she’d ever given another pony.

Dash’s mouth hung open for a few seconds from shock, her thoughts in total disarray. Once she’d realized what had just happened, she wrapped her forelegs around Applejack to return the hug with just as much feeling, if not more. Thrown off balance by having to stand on their hind legs, they tumbled onto the grass under the nearby tree, still tightly holding each other.

- - -

It was almost too good to be true, but it wasn’t a dream. It was much more personal than in her dreams. Not sexual, just … warm. Loving. Being hugged by Applejack - the real Applejack - was the best feeling in the world.

“Why couldn’t ya just tell me, you stupid, silly pony?” Applejack whispered into her ear. “Do you know what ya put me through?”

“...No,” Dash answered, feeling tears squeezing through the corners of her closed eyes. They were tears of joy; relief; remorse; all three mixed together, and she didn’t care. She didn’t care anymore if Applejack saw her crying. “No, I don’t. I don’t deserve this... I’m a terrible pony, aren’t I? I... was afraid of what you’d say, or that I’d screw up, or that you’d laugh at me, or-”

“Dash, you don’t ever have to be ashamed in fronta’ me. We’ve been friends for years. Did you really think we’d stop bein’ friends if I ever said no?”

“Well, I... I don’t know. I guess … yeah...”

“Dash... you’ll always be my very best friend.”

- - -

An hour or so later, Big Macintosh crested the hill, Winona following faithfully behind him. He scanned the trees; he’d been looking for Applejack for the past twenty minutes. It wasn’t in her nature to be late for work. A flash of color caught his eye on one of his passes. He found it again under the apple tree his sister had named Sweetblossom... and with it, he found his sister.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash were sound asleep, lying together in a heap, holding each other close. Applejack was mumbling softly to herself, and Dash’s wings were standing straight up, twitching slightly as she dreamed. Both mares were smiling.

He didn’t say anything, instead just shifting the bit of hay in his mouth, Winona standing quietly at his side.

Well sis... if ya really love her that much after all she put you through... after all that... then good luck to ya.

Big Macintosh turned to head back to the house. He’d have to wake Apple Bloom up for school now.




As for the two of them, they just lay there together, both wrapped in the bliss of dreams.

- - - - -

If you want to send me direct comments or complaints, you can e-mail me at gearsofworldwar2@hotmail.com . I'm fairly good about responding to e-mails. If you want, I'll even invite you into the design docs for my Works in Progress. I'm very liberal about other people poking through them.

This story has an "incomplete" status only because my plans for the sequel changed. I made a blog post about it, but the short version is that the planned sequel didn't work with Dream Mare as the setup. So I decided to rewrite the 'sequel' as a completely different story. It's still connected spiritually to this one, though. When the sequel is posted, I'll update the status on this page to "Complete" and post a link to the sequel in the story description. I apologize for my lateness and I promise to keep working hard.

If you like Shipping, I recommend you take a look at my other story, In A Tavern, Down By The River. It's a TrixieFic. Here's hoping you like it.

Also, have a link to some music. Many thanks to Lavender_Harmony! Go follow her on Youtube right now.

Thanks for reading.

-Lysis

Comments ( 24 )

I love this story!:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

hmmm the first ship fic i read, instant like and all that:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

i shall be reading this is the morning! :twilightsmile:

Hmm...nice one. Slightly clichéed, but then again so is 99,5% of all fanfiction ever written. And you write for one of my two OTP's, so how can I fault you for spreading the love? :rainbowkiss:
But yeah, story liked and tracked, and I hope you'll continue it since you seem to have a good talent for pacing and for reasonable outparceling of emotion and action. Come to think of it, I think I'll throw in a watch too. Keep up the good work.

One critique, though: don't know how fond I am of the linking taking place throughout the text. Both because it breaks flow if your reader is unfortunate enough to be curious, and also because you don't need it. You're descriptive enough, and your descriptions hardly ever veer into being messy or inadequate for the reader to form their own mental images. Just my two cents.

On Hiatus? WHAT MADNESS IS THIS!

It's also the very first shipfic I've read, and it's still one of the best. :rainbowkiss:

I think it's the perfect beginners fic :3

I remember this story! Hope you continue it eventually :3

Oh, I will continue it, don't worry.

I'd been writing something else to give me a little break. I just finished writing that other thing two days ago. Once it's edited, I'll post it here on FimFiction, and then I'll continue writing more AppleDash shipping. And Kindness of Strangers too, if anyone's still interested in that one.

this is good.

Dig

Very first shipfic I read also. I remember I was 'mentally flailing' at all the moments after they dreamt. It was kind of awkward to imagine two ponies getting all smoochy woochy and such :rainbowlaugh:

But now, though. Its simply adorable :rainbowkiss:

Have some stars, or positive thumbs now.

MORE MUXIX NEED MORE!!!!

"ah'm jus' hot." yes Applejack, Rainbow would agree.
i love this story...and the ending, priceless. :rainbowlaugh:
actually, this is one of the few that inspire me to write my own stories. maybe not specifically MLP, but stories nonetheless.

I was looking for this one! I read it when it appeared on EqD and I spent the past ten minutes on Google trying to find it again.

This story is fantastic, one of the most heartwarming and adorable stories I've ever read. Glad to see it up on FiMFiction :twilightsmile:

One away from 1,000 total views, and this is still my most popular story. Interesting how time flies, but I wish everyone would give my other works more of a chance. Well, to be specific, my one other work, seeing as the others aren't posted anywhere yet... but still. This is a good average, especially for such an old fic with so many fundamental flaws in the writing.

How old? Come September, this story will celebrate its first anniversary.

...I really need to write moar stories.

First fanfic I ever read back on EqD. Loved it.

One of the first shipping fics I read, and definitely a good one! Came by to reread it and it was every bit as D'aww inducing as the first time. As for your blog question thing, I'm not sure I understand - this might be getting a sequel, that could potentially not be Appledash? Why not just write a different story altogether? Sorry, this probably doesn't help you at all, I'm just a little confused. Anywho, excellent story :pinkiehappy:

961436

Nevermind the blog post. I figured out what I'm going to do. I wanted the "sequel" to take canon into account whenever possible, try and write the characters around canon, and in general, try to write a realistic story. Not a quickie done for the fun of it, like this one was.

When I finish the "Sequel", this page will be updated to reflect that fact. In the meantime, don't worry about it. Worrying about it is my job, no one else's. Except perhaps my editor. But that's a little different. :twilightblush:

Frustration abounds! Very well written, the sensation of longing was quite spot on and defiantly something to look forward to. Will be keeping my eye on you. In the not a stalker way.

Why do you write so well, the story is awesome, the characters are good in my opinion, and this is one of the best things I have ever read. I need more pony emoticons so I can express my love for this story visually with my words.

This has to be one of the best AppleDash stories ever! Please, please make a sequel! It's a beautiful story :heart:

2533485

Thank you very much for your kind compliments.

I don't think I'll ever do a proper 'sequel' to this story, meaning a story that uses this one as the basis. I do, however, have a spiritual sequel in my head, along with a truckload of notes and chapters and other things. It's one of the many, many projects I plan to complete one of these days.

But until then, I have other stories I need to work on. Currently, I'm working on an Adventure/Romance, Daring Do and the Greyfeather Prediction, and I still need to write a sequel to my most successful fic, Tavern, which I highly recommend if you like Trixie and aren't shy about a little OC romance.

Edit: Greyfeather was taken down for editing and reworking.

Anyways, I really appreciate all the love this little story's gotten over the years, and I hope you'll continue to read what I write in the future too!

Wow. That was probably one of the best fics I've ever read. I can't believe I didn't find this sooner. And the music choice was excellent. I really, really hope to see hope to see more on this or even just something that revolves around it, because this was pretty powerful.

2999639

I'm happy you enjoyed reading it. If you liked this story, why not give my other one, Tavern, a try? I'm sure you'll like it, too.

3001118
Okay, I will. I'm sure I will love it too.

Login or register to comment