• Published 12th Apr 2013
  • 4,969 Views, 182 Comments

Why Rainbows Make Me Cry - Midnight Words



Scout, the fastest merc this side of Teufort has ever seen, tells his story of why rainbows make him cry.

  • ...
10
 182
 4,969

Chapter 3: "I Didn’t Sign Up For This!"

Chapter 3: "I Didn’t Sign Up For This!"


I reached out for my gun, I wasn't going to kill the guy, just give him a little scare is all. I took out my pistol and BAM, I was sent flying across the room and through the window.

It. Is. On!

I got up from the dirt and picked up my pistol. Armor jumped out the broken window, a few Pegasi followed him out. I didn't want to kill any of 'em, it'll look bad for me, but that Armor dude's getting a shot in the leg. One of the Pegasi dive-bombed me, after months of dodging and staying alive on the battlefield, it was a cake walk dodging that dude.

I looked around, trying to find something that I could use like a bat or something. I couldn't find anything, so I used the next best thing. Another Pegasi dived at me with his spear, I grabbed the spear and sent him flying to wall. I snapped the spear in half and threw away the sharp top and took the other end.

"Alright, I'm ready. Come get some." I taunted and placed the stick on my shoulder. "I'm waiting."

The last two Pegasi did some sort of aerial stunt that distracted me, they all dived at me and grabbed my shoulders. "Hey! What are you-" They flew up higher, and then they let go.

They were trying to break my legs! I screamed as the ground started to come closer towards me. I felt it, the same thing that happened last time, the air around my feet turned solid for half a second, I broke my momentum and jumped in the AIR! Man, that will never get old.

I landed right outside the big tree, Armor was emotionlessly staring at me. The last two aimed their spears at me, I dodged and both of them crashed into each other. I laughed. "Tell me, are these the best you guys can do?"

"I have to say, I'm impressed, you managed to beat my best recruits." Armor said. I raised my gun and aimed for his leg. I fired my pistol, but it just bounced off.

"That's not fair!" I yelled and dropped my aim. Sparks came rushing out, she looked pissed, I don't know why.

"SCOUT! What did you do?!" Sparks yelled, and picked up the guards with magic!

"Jeez, relax, they're just knocked out." I said with a small shrug.

She was really pissed off, like red face pissed off. I was going to get my butt chewed out for sure.

"Lighten up, Twi." Dash said and followed her out. "Boys will be boys."

"Yeah, Twily. This just means I have to whip these colts into shape." Shining said, still gonna shoot him later.

"That still doesn't mean he could beat up royal guards!" Sparks yelled. My bag started glowing purple and floated towards Twi. "I'm taking these for the time being, they are far too dangerous, even for you."

"Jeez, Sparks, you're starting to sound like my mom." I said and rubbed the back of my head. "Me and my brothers used to rough-house all the time."

"Ah don't mean to interrupt, but do y'all smell something burning?" The orange pony with a cowboy hat pointed out.

"Yeah, smells like... dragon fire?" Sparks said. There was a smell of burning wood. I turned around and saw a huge cloud of smoke coming from town.

"Dr-dra-DRAGON!" The yellow pegasus yelled, albeit a bit weak, and pointed to the sky.

A large red dragon started spewing flames everywhere just burning everything and anything.

"The times I'm glad Pyro isn't here." I muttered and turned to the guards that were still recovering. "What now?"

Shining pointed to town. "Evacuate the ponies!" He ordered, the guards saluted and flew off. Armor turned back to the girls. "Stay inside, don't come out until it's over."

The yellow one rushed inside, terrified and shaking like a leaf. Pinks followed her in.

"I ain't gonna let some bozo dragon burn down my town." Rainbow said with a confident smirk. I'm liking her more and more.

"Let's send this varmint back where it came from!" The orange one said with a tip of her hat.

"As a lady, I am not one for fighting, but in this case, I think having the Elements on your side would be a great asset." The marshmallow said, she reminds me way too much of Spy.

"I guess that settles it." I said and fixed my hat. "I'll distract that big lizard, you guys get everybody out of here." I said and rushed off and followed the dragon.

The town was burning, everyone running some screaming. Some ponies were on fire, burning, and others were lying dead on the floor. This reminds me of the time with RED Pyro. The big dragon landed on town square, crushing a few ponies under his claw. He let out a loud roar.

I reached for my gun, but I remembered that Twilight took 'em. I muttered a small curse and dodged to the right as the dragon spewed fire at me. "Alright, I need something to hit with..." I muttered and saw a piece of wood with a nail stuck on it.

I rushed for the piece of wood, the dragon swiped at me as I jumped over his huge claw. This was... I can't describe it, it's like fighting two heavy and medic combos at the same time, it was exciting, new, and I knew I was gonna die if I wasn't careful.

I grabbed the piece of wood and rushed at the dragon, and judging from the scales, this wasn't going to work. He did a quick turnaround and tried to hit me with his tail, I jumped and grabbed on his tail. His wings started flapping and we were being lifted above the ground.

I crawled on his scaly back, trying to get to his head, his eyes are the only place not covered in scales and hopefully hurts more than anywhere else. The dragon did some stunts to shake me off, I held on tight but my hat went flying off. I crawled closer and reached his head.

"HEY DUMBASS! GOT A PRESENT FOR 'YA!" I yelled and stabbed his eye with the nail. He screamed in pain and shook his head violently, causing me to lose my balance. I jumped way too early and found myself falling back down to the ground. I tried jumping a second time but it failed, my arms were limp. Falling from this high would kill me, no question.

There was a bright rainbow flash that grabbed me and slowed down to land. The dragon was still in a frenzy, rushing at us, I turned to Rainbow Dash. "Go right, I got an idea."

RD flew to the right and I sprinted to the left. The dragon rushed at me and crashed to the ground. I jumped on his back and was about to deal the killing blow.

"STOP!" I heard a soft yell. I looked around and saw that it was the scared yellow pegasus pony from earlier.

"Huh?" Was the only thing I could think of right now, she was... staring... sort of reminded me when I first met Pyro... just weird creepy eyes staring at you. As big as her eyes were, it looked like they were getting bigger, but her staring wasn't just for me, it felt like it was for the dragon too.

"How would your mother think if she knew you went flying around towns and started burning them." She said with a very motherly tone. The dragon, for the most part looked like he was being told off.

"B-but, voices are telling me to do things." The dragon said, which shocked me a little. "Saying something about the thing on my back." He flicked me off and caused me to fall on face.

I got up and dusted off the dirt on my face. "Me?" I asked

"I need to bring you to the dark unicorn that's been whispering, voices... must... AGHHH!" The dragon screamed, glowing red eyes, he raised his head and spewed fire. That's when I noticed the glowing necklace thing on his neck.

Now, this was a long shot, but I'm in a magical world full of talking ponies and dragons, a magic necklace isn't so far-fetched.

I jumped up to his neck and knocked the necklace off. The necklace thing hit the ground and shattered and black smoke covered the area for a good few minutes.

The dragon was knocked out and fell to the ground. I dusted off and checked around. I saw one small shard and picked it up.

"Come to me."

"Whoa, what the hell was that?" I dropped the shard. Sparks and the others came running with a few guards.

It was like some sort of voice talking to me, but I couldn't tell if it was a dude or a chick.

"What happened?" Shining asked. "Did you just take down a dragon by yourself?!"

"Not really, she helped, sort of." I said and pointed to the yellow pegasus tending to the dragon. The others were mostly surprised. "Oh, and the dragon was being controlled or something. Can we get someone to fix his eye, if it's not too much trouble?"

"Controlled?" Sparks questioned. "But to control a sentient mind, you must be as strong as one of the Princesses."

I picked up a shard from the necklace. "Maybe this'll help?" I said and tossed it to Sparks.

"I've never seen anything like this, I mean I've seen magically infused jewelry before, but this..." She said as she examined it closely.

"Girls, I think we're missing the point here." RD said. "The town's nearly destroyed, I think we need to help with that before anything else."

Sparks got out of her daze and nodded. "Uh, right."


We walked back to town. The place looked like Teufort after a match, fires were spreading, pieces of wood and debris were scattered all around, and a lot of bodies.

"Sweet Celestia..." The white marshmallow muttered, and cried to Sparks' shoulder.

The other guards ran off, probably trying to do some damage control.

"This is messed up." I said and walked around. The town was still busy trying to clear the rubble. I saw a small hoof come out a pile of rubble next to a small house that looked like it was about to fall over. I rushed over and started digging her out. "A little help over here." I yelled.

RD rushed over and started helping me clear out the rubble.

We pulled out a small orange filly with small wings on her back. The little filly coughed up some dust, and stood up.

"Agh... What happen? Pops!" She said and tried to rush back inside, I held her back as the entrance started to collapse. "Pops!"

I held back the crying filly. "Dash, get somebody to help clear out some of this rubble." I said as she flew off, her rainbow trail flew towards the other side of town.

"Pops! Lemme go, I gotta get to my Dad!" The filly tried to break free.

I held on tight. "Listen! Your Pa wouldn't want ’ya to buried under all that debris! That won't help at all, the building would just fall on ya'!"

"I don't care! He's the only family I have left!" The filly kicked me in the face and rushed in through a broken window.

I fell back and fixed my jaw. "Jeez... HEY! Get back here!" I jumped in through the window, there was still a few fires here and there, the ground was burnt, and furniture was either crushed under the debris or burnt.

I carefully walked around, the roof looked like it was about to collapse. I made my way to flight of stairs. The stairs looked like they were about to fall on itself, it was a good thing I was incredibly light for someone of my age.

I quickly made it up the stairs, I heard a faint crying.

"Kid, get out of here, I'll be fine, just... go." There was a large orange stallion under a large beam, his legs looked busted up.

The filly hugged him tighter. "I'm not leaving you!" She cried.

"And you won't have too." I said and grabbed the beam. "Help me push this thing." I said and heaved the large beam. The little filly helped push it up. The stallion pushed himself out of the beam's way. "Right, here 'ya go..." I heaved him up, he was pretty heavy for someone so small.

We made our way back down the stairs and through the rooms, the building started coming down. I picked up the filly and jumped out the window.

I saw RD come rushing over. A small group of Para-medics came rushing along.

"Hey, are you alright?" Dash said and helped me up.

"Yeah, more or less." I said and dusted off. I tried to grab my hat but I remembered that it fell off. "How's the kid?" I said and looked at the unconscious orange filly.

"She'll be fine, she's a tough little squirt." Dash said with a hint of pride.

"Yeah, but we still got a lot of work to do." I said and looked at the ruins of the town. The town hall was still intact, for the most part.

"We should check with the mayor, she might have something for you to do." RD said. "I'll go check with the others, you should head back to the library later." She said and flew off.


"Pyro's called in sick..." BLU Sniper said with a scowl at the screen. "We're down two men, we're gonna lose today's match."

Administrator took a long drag from her smoke. "Mister Mundy, maybe I haven't been clear. I don't care. If you're as good as you say you are, then this would be easy for you."

"Yeah, listen here, sheila. I can't remember what happened, but the REDs are just as good as us, they're clones or something, and we're down two men. We are going to be slaughtered out there!"

"I recall you had parents living on an old farm, correct?" The Administrator’s grin slowly grew larger.

"You wouldn't dare..." Sniper growled at the screen.

"They're farm doesn't nearly generate enough money to sustain themselves."

"You're treading on thin ice here, sheila..."

"And they need you for support financially. What would happen if their bank account suddenly went bankrupt? I think you know, Mister Mundy."

"Piss off..." Sniper thought silently for a minute. "Fine, we'll play your stupid war game."


Thanks, Sniper. Pyro muttered to herself. Pyro took off her mask and suit, she picked up a blue hoodie and covered her badly burnt face.

Pyro left the small house she called home and made a beeline to a nearby alley.

"Ah, Boss, Here to check up on your old gang?" A young man with a bandana on his head.

"Noe, I need a favor." Pyro said and throwing back her hood, and revealed her crimson red hair.

"Hey, anything for you, you got us out of a bad road leading to nowhere. Whatcha need?" Noe said with a smirk.

"I need someone in Mann Co." Pyro said unblinking.

Noe's smile slowly disappeared. "You're kidding, right?" Noe sighed. "I can get someone inside, but this is gonna be risky as hell. What do you need in Mann Co. anyway?"

"They've got a lot of research data on advance teleportation, I need that." Pyro said calmly. "Just... stay safe, alright?"

"You know us, Boss. We'll stay safe."

"Oh, and if you can find anything about an annoying guy with a blue shirt, give me a call, okay?"

"Sure."

Pyro was about to left the alley, until a two muscled figures blocked her off.

"Hey there pretty lady." A guy on the left said.

"Hey lady, want to have some fun tonight?" The other one on the right said.

"Yeah, sure. How does burning your dead bodies sound?" Pyro said with a smirk. The guy on the left reached his hand and felt her butt. Pyro quickly reacted and punched him across the face.

The guy cracked his jaw. "We got a feisty one, eh?"

A small flame circled around Pyro's fist, she landed another heavy punch on the other one, knocking him out completely. "Come on, hurry up I got somewhere to be." She taunted.

"Little bitc-" Before he could finish, Pyro grabbed him by the neck, her hot hand was slowly burning his neck. He slowly, and painfully passed out.

Pyro made her way towards a small repair shop, there was a large sign that read ‘Conagher Family Repair Shop’.

Pyro walked around the store and went through the back. She quickly pulled out a piece of paper and quickly wrote a message to Engineer.

A small blond little girl came walking down the stairs.

They stared at each other for a small time. "Uh... Hi."