• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 31,315 Views, 2,270 Comments

The Memoirs Of A Reality Jumper - Techogre



Alex has been lost for a life time. Can he make a life in Ponyville?

  • ...
157
 2,270
 31,315

PreviousChapters Next
8 - Basic biology

I was in a thoughtful, if dour, mood. It was only a half-hour walk on my way to Rarities' boutique, and I was halfway there when I was accosted by Fluttershy. She had given me a lot to chew on. Again, no pony seemed too bothered by me, and in fact, I was greeted by friendly nods or at worst, curious stares.

I'm worried about Dash. I didn't even think about how an experience like mine would be perceived in a world like this. This is a place where a failed party is a disaster, where if your friends don't talk to you for a day, you have a nervous breakdown. She's been a far better friend than anyone has the right to expect, and I go and treat her like that. I feel ashamed. I should have sugar-coated the story. I should have... I don't know, done something different, protected her from me. I hope I don't lose her as a friend.

I finally arrived at the Carrousel Boutique and noticed the sign said 'Closed,' but I thought I would knock anyway. I heard Rarity call out as she opened the door, “I'm sorry, we're clo—Oh, hello, Alex. Please, come in.” I walked in and closed the door behind myself.

I sat heavily on the floor with my back to the door. “Rarity, I accidentally did a terrible thing. I—” I was interrupted by three fillies rushing into the room. I recognized Scootaloo, but I had no clue about the other two, a yellow earth pony filly with a red mane and big red hair bow and the other a unicorn filly with an off-white coat and pink and purple mane. I smiled despite myself, “Hi, Scootaloo, how are you doing?”

Scootaloo answered excitedly, “I'm doing great, Alex!”

Rarity cleared her throat and raised an eyebrow.

Scootaloo blushed a little, then continued more formally, “Sorry, I mean, I'm doing very well, Mr Alex Roberts. Me and my friends, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, would like to extend our thanks for helping me. You and Rainbow Dash, that is.” Scootaloo ran off.

Apple Bloom excitedly added, “Ya! We made a hero award for you and Rainbow Dash! For talking back to old stinky Coins!” Rarity glared, “Um, I mean when Mr Golden Coins was so uncivil. Applejack said that was real gutsy of you, seen' as you're not as strong or tough as a pony.”

“My sister said you acted like a real gallant knight. Just like in the fairy tales.” Sweetie Belle said, looking at me in awe.

Rarity smiled, “Now, Sweetie Belle, he's a decent pony and saw a decidedly indecent event and intervened. As any gentlecolt would.”

I looked down, genuinely embarrassed. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. I shakily got to my feet and wiped my eyes, “Oh, dear. Looks like I got some dust in my eye. May I use your bathroom, Rarity? I'll be right back.” I smiled. Rarity, with a knowing look, pointed the way for me. I closed the door behind myself. I splashed some cold water on my face and pulled myself together. Why did such a childish act knock me out like this? I didn't know. Well, once I dried myself, I went back to the main room. Scootaloo and her friends were there, brimming with pride.

“Here you go!” they said in unison. The picture was crudely drawn. It showed me kicking the flank of an angry-looking pony with a top hat and monocle and Rainbow Dash by my side. It had the word 'HERO' at the top, traced in jewels, 'Thank You For Saving Scootaloo' and their names at the bottom. Okay, fine, I had a really hard time controlling the waterworks. I admired it for a very long time, my expression blank.

Apple Bloom whispered, “Do you think he likes it?” I wasn't sure, but I could swear Rarity didn't hear it.

Sweetie Belle answered in the same whisper, “I told you we should have used more glitter.”

Scootaloo looked crestfallen.

Quietly I said, “Girls, this is the best gift I've gotten in a very long time.” I wiped my eyes, “It's perfect, just the way it is.”

The three looked relieved. Scootaloo jumped forward, hugged me, and the three of them ran off with a cry of “Cutie Mark Crusaders Award Makers! Yay!”.

I remained where I was, admiring their gift. I spoke without looking up. “You know Rarity, the last time I got a gift like this, it was made by my daughter. It was about a week before I jumped. I looked at it for a moment, then casually tossed it on the pile. I'm not sure I did more than casually thank her.” I continued looking at the gift, lost in thought.

Rarity said softly, “Well darling, you seem to have made an impression on those young fillies,” I looked at her and saw she was smiling, “And they on you.”

“Could you store this for me, please?” I reverently held my treasure so Rarity could take it with her magic. “My house needs some work, and I don't want to damage it.”.

“Oh, course, my dear. I will be happy to store it for you. Now, I assume you've come here for an update on the finances? Well, there's n—”

I dismissed her assumption with a wave of my hand, “No, no, I know it's in good hands. Hooves? I trust you and Applejack completely. No, I came for two reasons, one trivial and one important. I need some clothes, and I was unsure if you did male non-pony clothes, but that's not important.” Rarity looked concerned. Clothes to her were always paramount. “No, I did something bad. I... ugh... I assumed ponies, Dash, in this case, had the same sort of psychological grounding as humans do.”

“I'm not sure I understand Alex. What do you mean?”

“I believe you know my story and about the scarring on my back?” Rarity nodded. “I was washing my shirt, and Dash saw my back. She threw up, Rarity. She was so sickened by what she saw, she was physically ill.” Rarity looked shocked, “Once Dash pulled herself together, she wanted to know exactly how I got them, so I told her. I didn't go into detail, but I told her enough. Too much, I think. I feel so bad for hurting her. Fluttershy said she'll be okay, but...” I looked away in shame, “it doesn't make it any better.”

Rarity's expression became stern. “Show me,” she said.

I blinked and looked at her for a moment. “What? Do you mean my back? Are you sure? It's not the kind of thing ponies seem to deal well with. I only figured Fluttershy didn't completely collapse because of her experiences caring for sick and injured animals.”

“Alex, my dear, I am a grown mare. I do not need protection, no matter how gallantly it is offered. Please. Your back.”

“Alright.” I slipped my arms out of my coverall, “If this gets to be too much, let me know, and I'll cover up,” I slowly exposed my back. I was getting sick of this. It's an ugly scar, but these damn ponies keep making an issue out of it.

I heard a gasp and a muttered, “Oh, good heavens...” Then she cleared her throat, “Thank you, that's enough. I think I can understand why Rainbow Dash was disturbed.” She paused, looking me in the eye, “You are correct in assuming that this sort of damage is almost unheard of here. Rainbow Dash is a very loyal pony, and when she sees a friend in distress, she internalizes it. If she was physically ill, it was only because she sympathized with what happened to you or what she imagined happening.”

“Hmm. That would explain what she said about wanting to know so she didn't have to imagine.” I sighed, “If I would have known—”

Rarity interrupted, “If you had known, you would have done things differently, I'm sure.” She sighed, “Alex, although you first became aware of us through children's entertainment, we are not children. Please do not forget that.”

I stammered. “Miss Rarity, I apologize if that was how you perceived my... “ I stopped and grimaced, “Who am I kidding? I have no clue how this world works. I'm trying to behave as dictated by a half-remembered cartoon I last saw almost 60 years ago.” I sat back down, “And now I'm alienating the very ponies who were kind enough to help me, not only a total stranger but not even the same species.” I hung my head down, “I should have followed my first instincts and ran into the woods.” I looked back up to Rarity, “Look, Miss Rarity, once you cash out my coins, I'll—”

“Stop! Stop right there, Mr Alex Roberts.” Rarity was standing right in front of me, close enough that the smell of her perfume was almost overpowering. Her expression was one of annoyance. “If you think we will let you off easy by letting you trot off into the woods and living as a hermit just so you can avoid accidentally hurting one of us, you will be sadly mistaken. Like it or not, we are part of your life now. We are your friends.” She was glaring at me, and it was almost physically painful, “And whether you like it or not, Rainbow Dash will be loyal to you until the end. She has seen your pain, Alex. As much as you want, you cannot take that away from her. Do you understand?”

I nod, not truly understanding, but it's all I can do. I look up, voice heavy with guilt, “What can I do to help Dash? What can I say to her to make her better?”

The late morning sun was streaming in from behind Rarity. She smiled beatifically down at me, “Simply be the gallant knight that you are.”

I wiped my nose, “You ponies...” I shake my head, “are so different. I come from a place where children are taught early to beware of the stranger. Where cynicism is considered the safest attitude to have. Trust has to be earned and is reluctantly given. Here trust, friendship, and kindness is the basic assumption. I have lived a lifetime, two lifetimes really, in realities where cynicism is the only position the world around you will allow. It will take a lot of effort on my part to change. I'm glad I have good friends to guide me.” I stood, “Thank you. Thank you for being a good friend. Thank you for... everything.”

And then I did what I always do when I don't want to talk about something: I clear my throat and change the subject. “So, change of subject. My dear Miss Rarity,” I put on my best false smile, “I was wondering if I could purchase an extra set of clothes until the tailor's son gets back from something called 'interspecies tailoring'. I know...” I chuckled to myself, “Sorry, I think I know,” Rarity smirked at that, “you only make dresses for mares, but I was hoping you could stitch together a simple copy of these,” I gave her the pants and tunic, “and what I'm wearing right now. These have seen better days, and I need something a little tidier.” All the clothes had minor stains, little tears, and the knees were starting to blow out.

Rarity looked at me, a little confused, “I'm sure no one will judge you if you don't have fashionable clothes on for a day or two. Even I don't wear clothes most days.”

This was a subject I wanted to avoid, but I could not. I averted my eyes and blushed a little. “Well, that's one of those wonderful cultural differences that have been cropping up. While your society seems to be, er, clothing optional, mine is generally not.” I gave a half smile, “I don't know if you noticed, but I always try to look you in the face, and if my eyes are not on your face, I look at the ground, the ceiling, the wall, anywhere but... not at your face.”

I was speaking to the floor now, “It's become worse for me as I've been seeing ponies as people.” Rarity made an expression of incredulity, and I interrupted her before she could say anything, “I know, I know. Ponies are fully sentient beings worthy of all my respect. I truly understand that now. But when I arrived, all I could think was I was in a cartoon world populated by cartoon characters. I'm not proud of that Rarity. Since my many gifts do not include the ability to undo stupid mistakes, I'll have to live with that sin too. So, if you can forgive the idiot before you, can I once again take advantage of your generosity?”

Rarity seemed surprised and puzzled. “My dear Alex, there is nothing to apologize for. We have all made errors in judgment and have had misplaced expectations,” She seemed far away for a moment, “We all, as you say, have our sins. Now, for your clothes,” she lifted the pants and shirt, examining them with a critical eye, “They're simple, and the basic body pattern is similar to Spikes. While I do not normally make clothes for stallions, I will be happy to make something based on this. And, despite appearances, I can appreciate the need for simple and serviceable clothes. Could I take those coveralls and pants while you could wear the shirt while I make a first copy? Surely, that would be acceptable.”

“Heh, well, not really.” She said she was an adult, so I should deal with her as an adult, “You could say the core of the clothes issue is this area, basically the front and back of the pelvis,” I indicated the areas with my hands. “In humans, that is where our genitals are located, and these are primary sexual characteristics. In the males, that's basically where it ends. In females, their mammaries are also considered primary sexual characteristics. They are located here,” I again indicated with my hands. “These areas are considered intimate and private.” I smiled sadly. “So, in short, when I look at a pony, my brain recognizes you as human, and I guess I mentally map human sexual characteristics onto your body. It feels...” I waved my hands in small circles, looking for the right word, “disrespectful.” I was really blushing now, and I couldn't make myself look at Rarity.

The room was quiet, and I figured Rarity was in shock at the concept or maybe just disgusted. Then I heard laughter. It was a very kind and ladylike laugh, but laughter nonetheless. “Oh Alex, you truly are a gallant knight from a fairy tale. I can assure you not a single citizen of Ponyville would be shocked by your walking down the street without any clothes. But, I understand your concerns. How about I take the pants and shirt and I will make some copies from a sturdy un-dyed cotton material. Just something simple until you can get that fine young unicorn stallion to properly create more clothes.” She seemed momentarily lost in thought, “Elusive is very talented. Judging from his work, of course.”

“Thank you, Rarity, for helping me.” She is a damn good friend, and I hope I can be one too.


I headed to the marketplace to get some lunch, then headed up to Twilight's library. On the way, I debated whether to start watching episodes of My Little Pony and whether that would help me. By the time I reached Applejack's stall in the market, I had decided that they would only cause problems. It was in my best interest to learn who they were like any other friend and not rely on their cartoon caricatures.

I spotted Applejack. Some distance away, I waved and called out a greeting. She didn't react at first; I had to repeat myself a few times, and I had to get much closer before she heard me. I'm sure my senses are better than the locals'.

“Well, howdy there, Alex. What brings you out here?”

It's time to turn on the old Alex Roberts charm. With a big smile, “Well, a man has to eat, and your apples look fantastic! And I want to thank you again for your kindness. But first, business. How much for a bag of apples?”

She gave a smile, “After what you've done for my family, it's on the house.”

I cocked an eyebrow and my smile faded. “Applejack, come on. You work your flank off to get these apples. I will darn well pay you. Now, how much?”

Applejack stood on her hind legs so she could look me in the eye and scowled at me. “Gosh darn it! Are we going to have to do this every time? You have gone and given the Apple family the greatest gift in its history. You will take as many apples as you want. Do I make myself clear?”

I put my hands out, afraid she would fall, “Be careful! Don't hurt yourself! That doesn't look too easy for a pony, and I don't want you to fall.” Applejack dropped nimbly back down. “Please, as a friend, let me buy my apples fair and square.”

A smile slowly crept over the mare's face, “Shoot, you're lucky I've got a kind heart. That'll be six bits.”


I'm fairly sure Twilight lives at the tree-house library. I wasn't sure of the protocol and have become painfully aware that I don't understand how this place works. Do I walk right in? I decided to knock on the Library door, and I heard a cheerful Spike's voice, “I've got it, Twilight!” I can hear Spike taking a deep sniff just as the door opens, and his face goes from a smile to a scowl. “It's you.” He turned and bellowed, “The smelly freak is here for you!”

“Spike! What an awful thing to say. Alex Roberts, I'm so sorry for this. Spike isn't normally this rude.” She shot Spike a withering glare. Spike stomped off to another room, muttering under his breath.

I smiled, “It's ok, Twilight Sparkle. Oh, and my friends call me Alex. That includes you, just in case there was any question.” I called out, “And that includes you too, Spike, whether you like it or not. Did Rarity give him that bag of jewels?”

Twilight, looking a little confused, said, “Yes, Rarity dropped it off last night soon after you left. He was thrilled to get a gift from Rarity, but as soon as she left, he threw them away. He said something about their smell.” She gave her head a little shake and smiled, “And, please, call me Twilight. I called you here because I wanted to give you some good news!” She levitated a scroll from the table, “The Princess wants to meet you. Here is the letter I received this morning.” Twilight passed me the scroll. I opened it carefully—the paper was thick and smooth, with a hand-made feel to it. The writing on the page was perfect, each letter executed with analytical precision, not a single drop of ink spilt, and a golden seal at the bottom.

My Dear Mr Alex Roberts,

My Most Faithful Student, Twilight Sparkle, informed me of your arrival and unusual circumstances. She has suggested that you would make an excellent addition to the Equestrian people. I trust her judgment and agree with her conclusion.

I want to welcome you to Equestria as our newest citizen. You will receive your formal documentation within a week. I know you will be a loved and respected member of our society. I'm sure the life you build here will be positive for everyone around you.

I invite you to come and visit me in Canterlot at your earliest convenience. I look forward to our meeting.

Signed,
Princess Celestia,
Donec Regia Pax

I read the letter again and again. Well, that's citizenship taken care of. I looked at Twilight, and I felt immense gratitude. “I don't know what to say, Twilight. Thank you.” I looked out the window, the panorama of daily life unfolding, and a slow smile crossed my face. I quickly turn my eyes to Twilight, “At the risk of seeming thankless, why did you do it? Why me? You don't know me. I could be anything.”

Twilight pursed her lips, “An excellent question. According to 'The Equestrian Guide To Citizenship', forty-seventh edition, a good citizen should always be willing to help fellow citizens. After your recent actions stepping up and protecting Scootaloo from,” Twilight got a bit of a sour expression, “Golden Coins, I thought you showed excellent moral fibre. Therefore, I felt you were an excellent candidate for citizenship. I sent the letter to Princess Celestia this morning, and she agreed with my assessment,” she gave a quick nod and smiled at me. “However, I have to tell you, I also had a bit of an ulterior motive for recommending you.”

'Oh boy, here it comes,' I thought to myself.

“I thought it would be fun to have someone from a different universe to talk to. And maybe I can use your... laptop?” I smiled and nodded. She got a dreamy look on her face, contemplating the possibilities, “A multiverse of libraries. So much information, so many books to read...”

“Don't get too excited, Twilight. Think of it as a library where anyone who can write, or not write, to be honest, can publish whatever they want. Almost nothing is peer-reviewed, so most of it is garbage.” Twilight looked crestfallen. “But, if you know where to look, there is some wheat in the chaff. When I have time, I'll gladly help you out.”

“That sounds like a great opportunity, Alex. Thank you!”

“Before I visit Princess Celestia, I want to get some more clothes. These are a little threadbare.” I gave Twilight the same little speech I gave Rarity on the subject. Unlike Rarity, Twilight accepted it without comment, not even a blush.

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Spike making a gagging motion. “Hey, Twilight, do you mind if we walk and talk? I would really like to get the window fixed up before tonight. That and Spike doesn't like me. My body odour seems to be very offensive to him.” I started to worry, “I don't smell to you, do I?”

Twilight leaned in closely to me and tentatively sniffed. I couldn't resist sniffing her when she was close. The only pony that had been physically close to me was Rarity, who wore a lot of perfume. Twilight didn't seem to wear perfume, or if she did, it was subtle. It's a little like a very mild, very clean short-haired dog, with a hint of baby powder. I suspect the baby powder is what she uses for perfume. There was something else, but I couldn't describe it. A sort of something that makes you want to smile. As weird as it sounds, it could be described as the smell of friendship.

She said, “No, nothing bad, a little sweaty maybe, but nothing offensive.” She grew thoughtful for a moment, “It could be some hormonal thing. I wonder if some magic trick could fix it.”

I shrugged, “Well, thanks Twilight. I'll fix that sweat problem tonight—just one more thing to add to the to-do list. So! Change of subject.” I smiled. “My dear Miss Twilight Sparkle, as fun as it would be to spend the day sniffing each other,” Twilight giggled at that, “I would like to do the manly thing and go shopping for tools.”

“That sounds like fun, Mr Alex Roberts.” She trotted to the back of the library, “Spike! We think we know what's going on with you and Alex. I'll fill you in when I come back.”

We left, her discussing possible magical solutions and me offering technological solutions for my problem with Spike.


One of the topics we discussed was the Equestrian calendar.

The days of the week were the familiar seven I was used to. They even had days of 24 hours with 60 minutes. The only significant difference was the 'rest' day was Tuesday rather than Sunday.

The major changes came with the months. They were named after the seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. The three warmer months had one hundred and forty days each, and winter only had seventy. It made a certain kind of sense. The months could be arbitrarily as long or short as needed. After all, it was a geocentric system, with the sun and moon controlled by literal goddesses.

The upshot was that their year was almost a third again as long as most worlds, 490 days versus something around 365. I discovered I had landed on the 16th day of Spring in the year 1004 After Nightmare Moon. A Wednesday, it turns out. So, I guess the show was right about 1,000 years, just wrong on how long a year is. It ended up being around 1,340 Earth years.


I was glad I was able to find the tools I needed, plus some plastering supplies. I also took the chance to pick up a few basics, like some containers, kitchen wares, dishes, and some soap. The backpack made it easy to carry stuff without much worry. I was surprised the cost of goods was on the low side, especially when compared to food.

As we were leaving the hardware store, Twilight was lecturing me on building codes and best practices. She commented that with all the damage to her home, she had become familiar with them and was happy to share her vast knowledge. I was grateful because I didn't want to break a building code and have to rip out everything I did.

In the distance, I saw a crowd starting to gather and the smell of smoke. The smell is different from a plain wood fire. A burning house has a smell that is hard to forget.

“Twilight! Do you smell that?” I unslung my backpack, carrying it in my hand.

She looked a little confused, “No, not... wait, that's not a normal smoke smell. Oh my gosh! Look!”

“Shit!”, I cursed. “Where is the fire department, Twilight?”

“They should be on their way.” She looked worried, on the edge of panic.

I could see a mare beside herself being held back by a stallion. “My little foal! He's still in there!”

The stallion held her back, “Honey, no, you can't go in. You'll only get yourself killed!”

Damn it! I hate this. All the ponies seem to be standing around, not knowing what to do. I don't want to be a hero. I just want to get home alive. But damn it, there's a kid involved.

I yelled, “Twilight, cover me!” I dropped my backpack and quickly took a couple of deep breaths. I charged into the house, yelling as much because I needed the false bravado and was scared stupid. The front door is partially open, and I knock it open with my shoulder. I'm going to feel that in the morning. The fire is in the kitchen and spreading fast. There's smoke everywhere. I head up the stairs, trip, and fall a few times—damn pony stairs. I finally make it to the top, staying low. I look back and see flames licking around the kitchen door. This inspires me to get moving.

“Come on, kid, where are you?!” I coughed, trying hard not to breathe in too much.

I heard a weak voice, “Over here, mister! My closet door won't open!”

I opened one door, then a second, and finally, found the voice in the third room. The smoke was thick, and flames were licking up the stairway. I hurried in, bumping my head on the door frame and slamming the door behind me.

“Okay, kid, stay calm! I'll open the door, but you need to get to the back and stay low!”

“O-Okay, mister.” The child coughed from the smoke, and I hope he followed my instructions. I pulled out my knife and gave it the command 'CROWBAR'. As it flowed into the proper shape, I drove it into the door frame. The frame cracked and splintered as the door came loose, giving me a spot to get a grip. I put my foot on the wall and pulled the door open with a loud crack. I smiled at the terrified young colt, his eyes the size of saucers, not sure how to react. I looked at the crowbar, put in back in the shape of a knife, and quickly sheathed it.

Smoke was starting to fill the room. I felt the door and almost burned my hand. Going out the door was out of the question.

“Come on, kid! I'll get you out the window, but I need you to come with me!” He looked at me in terror, scurrying further back. The smoke was getting thicker. It was getting harder to breathe.

“Sorry about this kid!” I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck. He bit me, the little bugger, but I didn't let go. What's a bite for a kid's life?

I looked over my shoulder and saw flames licking under the door. I'll have to admit that I panicked a little. Unfortunately, my knife was on the far right side, and so was the flailing colt. I smashed the window of the room with my left hand, the glass cutting it up. I used the sleeve to protect my arm while removing the glass shards from the window frame. I screamed, “Twilight! Catch!” and tossed the foal out the window. I hope she catches him. If not, a broken bone or two is better than burning to death.

With my right hand free and my left hand cut to ribbons, I gauged the window. Shit. It was small. I mean, average-sized for a pony, but not so much for me. The fire was coming, so I didn't have much choice. I dived through the window and got hung up at my hips. It hurt like the devil, but I pushed my way through and fell. For a split second, I saw the foal floating in the air, surrounded by a purple glow, and I was at peace.

My last thought before I hit the ground was, 'It's a fair tra—'

...

...

PreviousChapters Next