• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 31,328 Views, 2,270 Comments

The Memoirs Of A Reality Jumper - Techogre



Alex has been lost for a life time. Can he make a life in Ponyville?

  • ...
157
 2,270
 31,328

PreviousChapters Next
50 - Her First Day

My little girl.

Here she was, hugging me fiercely. I was overjoyed and couldn’t think of any better plan for the day than to hold the two most important people in my life. But a nagging thought kept digging at the back of my mind, what about Ann, Lily and Daniel? Weren’t they also important? Didn’t they deserve all my love and affection too?

Of course, they did, but they were a universe away. It still hurt, and I sure didn’t look forward to talking to Ann, especially after how defeated she looked in that last message.

My thoughts, happy and worried, were interrupted by Ms Sweetheart, “To make it official, I have to perform the legal ceremony. Then, before you leave, I have some papers for you to sign. You will also want her medical records, legal papers, and all her associated governmental forms in this binder.”

Dash, her expression brimming with confidence, asked, “Alright, so what do we do?”

“Both of you, raise your left hoof and repeat after me. I, your name, do swear to protect, to love, and to care for the child known as Scootaloo.”

Dash and I said the words, all the while looking at our new daughter with love. Scootaloo beamed at us, her eyes becoming moist with emotion.

Ms Sweetheart smiled broadly, “Now, Scootaloo, this is something I’ve wanted to do for a very long time. Raise your left hoof and repeat after me; I, Scootaloo, promise to love, obey, and respect my new parents, Alex Roberts and Rainbow Dash.”

Scoots raised a trembling hoof and spoke the words, her voice quavering, her smile radiant, and her joy overflowing.

We held each other again. Now, we were legally a family; she was my little girl, I was her dad, Dash was her mom, and that would always be true.

The only thing left to do is for me and Dash to get hitched. Then, we would be the complete package.

I couldn’t wait.


Scootaloo was on her scooter, wings buzzing happily. She was pulling a wagon with a grubby cardboard box filled with the tools, spare parts, and other supplies for her scooter.

I walked along with an ear-to-ear grin, carrying Scoots’ thin battered suitcase in my left hand. It was awkward with my arm at almost a right angle, but I had to do something to help.

Dash hovered between us with that cocky grin of hers. “You sure you can carry that, Alex? You’re arm is still hurt.”

I replied with faux irritation, “Bah. The day I can’t carry my daughter’s suitcase will be a sad day indeed.”

About halfway home, I stumbled and dropped her bag. It sprung open, spilling the meagre contents onto the cobbled street. As I watched the miscellaneous contents spill out, my eyes focused on her faded yellow winter jacket. The thing was threadbare and far too thin. The mismatched scarf was in just as bad shape. I gasped. To me, they seemed woefully inadequate, but I had to remind myself she was not a human. Ponies, and pegasi especially, were far more resistant to cold than any human was.

I knelt down, attempting to help with the task of picking up all the things. “Sorry, pumpkin. I guess your old man is a little stubborn.”

Scootaloo paused and looked at me in confusion, “Old man?”

I missed a beat, then realized what the problem was. “Old man is slang for dad.” I looked to Dash, “Sweetheart, don’t ponies have a slang term for dad?”

She smirked at me, “You mean like ‘big stal’?”

Scootaloo brightened up, “Oh! So, ‘old man’ is just like ‘big stal’?” She giggled. “That’s so funny.” She imitated my deeper voice, “Old man.” She giggled again.

I placed the last item in the case and started struggling with the clasps. Dash gently pushed me aside and closed the clasps with a click. I stood up and took the suitcase, despite Dash’s warning glance. “Alright. Your big old stal man is ready to get home.” Dash gave me her confident smirk.

This also sent Scoots into a fit of giggles and Dash rewarded me with a throaty chortle.

As we walked, I could see how joyful Scootaloo was. It wasn’t just the grinning and the excited conversation she and Dash were having. It was the physical presence of joy, and it was gloriously infectious. I felt it in my mind, in my heart, and in my soul. It was a literal physical thing, and it brought me great elation. I walked more slowly, just so I could take in my daughter and soon-to-be wife more completely.

I walked, mind unfocused, happy.

For a fleeting moment, there was a shadow, a whispering voice in the back of my mind. ‘You don’t belong here.’ I ignored it and walked on. I half heard Dash making a joke and Scootaloo giggling. I joined them with a chuckle, desperate to maintain my blissful state of mind.

That voice came back, a little louder. That little voice, the one that told me to dodge to the left instead of the right, the one that told me to wait until the water was boiled, no matter how thirsty I was. That little voice saved me time and time again. The one that reminded me the heroes always die, and the good guy always finishes last. The tiny little suggestion it now threw at me was painful. Scootaloo’s happiness lay in Rainbow Dash being her mom. That was why she was happy. I was just a means to an end; a convenient tag-along she didn’t mind including.

With experience and will I kept my expression a happy one. There could not be a single iota of doubt on my face. None. Any external show of my internal chaos would result in my little girl being heartbroken.

My little girl.

That voice, that ghost of a thought was making me doubt. It has always been right, in the past. It has never failed me, except… except now, I choose to ignore it. I want to be happy. And maybe, just maybe, this time it’s wrong.

Scootaloo looked around and saw I had fallen behind. She happily pronked in my direction. “Come on, Dad. Catch up.”

I smiled apologetically to her, “Sorry, pumpkin. Guess I’m still a little tired.”

She rushed to my side, “Mom! Slow up. Dad’s not feeling good.”

Dash smirked, “Get used to it squirt. Your big stal can be a bit of a slowpoke sometimes.”

She grinned back, “You mean, my old man.”

Scootaloo’s new mother beamed at her, “That too, Scoots.”

As the two most important ponies in my life continued, that blasted thought came back. That voice in my head warned me of impending peril. It was screaming at me, and it was hard to ignore. As wonderful as this was, a wife and child to love again, a family to nurture and care for, it was also a family to lose. If I lived to my next jump, unlikely but not impossible, if they still lived, I would leave them, alone, or even worse, I would somehow drag them into the horror my life had become, will become again. There was also a question of loyalty. Loyalty to Ann, to Lily, to my firstborn son, Daniel.

I must have had a troubled expression because I almost bumped into Dash as she hovered in front of me. She spoke tenderly and placed a hoof under my chin, lifting my face to look up at her, “What’s up, big guy? You look… scared.”

Scootaloo rose to my defence, “Come on, Mom. He’s the bravest dad I know. He’s just… I don’t know, thinking about… stuff.”

I smiled sadly and kneeled down, “That I am, Scootaloo. For now, let's just say I’m worried about you two.” Dash just smiled kindly at me, while Scootaloo looked surprised. “Nothing bad, just… I don’t know, I want to keep all the bad guys in the universe away from you and keep you safe. It’s just what I do, pumpkin. I worry and plan, so that when the faecal matter hits the fan, I know what to do. Let's just say it’s become a hobby over the years.”

I didn’t plan on telling her my stories, at least not for a long while—no point in burdening her with my nonsense.

Dash broke the silence. “Alright, Alex, this is where you clap your hands together, change the subject, and we head off to someplace else. So,” she clapped her hooves together, “change of subject, let's go home and make dinner.”

I gave Dash a grateful look. She replied with a little nod and a loving look.

As we carried on, those damn, stupid thoughts slid back. This time, all I could see was that Dash was using me to adopt Scootaloo. There was no other explanation. Why would she have any interest in me, other than as a tool? Rainbow already has self-esteem issues, so bringing in someone who absolutely worships her under her wing makes her feel worthwhile.

And Scootaloo? Why would she love an alien as a father? From all accounts, to a pony’s eye I’m a grotesque abomination, part animal, part monster. She tolerated me because it brought her closer to her hero, the world-famous Rainbow Dash.

I firmly quieted the voices. Perhaps they are correct, maybe they are trying to save me from my own foolishness. Maybe. However, for the moment, I choose to take this all at face value. I choose to see this as it seems, a loving fiance and beloved daughter. I choose to take this moment as my own, as much as it is about Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. For once, I will be selfish, and embrace this as it should be. I will share in their joy and be happy with them. I will allow myself the right to be human... even if I haven’t earned it.


Dash opened the front door with great aplomb. “Welcome home, Scootaloo.”

Scoots giggled, “I’ve been here before, ya know.”

I corrected my daughter, “Ah, you were here before as a guest. Now, you’re here as part of our family. Big difference.”

She looked at us both shyly, “The truth is, you guys always made me feel like part of your family.”

I smiled, dropped to a knee, and held her tight. “Thanks, pumpkin. You will always be part of us, no matter what happens.”

Scootaloo started choking theatrically, “Ack! Dad! You’re squishing me.”

Dash shook her head and smiled a little sadly, “Hey, don’t knock a dad that hugs you. It’s a great thing.”

To save Dash from having to explain herself, I did what I was best at, “So Scootaloo, would you like to see your room?”

She looked at us excitedly, “You already have my room?”

Dash beamed with pride, “You bet, squirt. Right across the hall from us.”

“Awesome!” She made to run, then realized she didn’t know where she was running to and gave us a sheepish grin. “So…”

Dash smirked, “You’re ready for action. That’s my little filly.” Scootaloo blushed at her mom’s words. “It’s at the top of the stairs, the door on the right.”

With a burst of speed, the little pegasus ran up the stairs and paused in front of the door. She raised her hoof and hesitated. She then seemed to steel herself and opened the door slowly. I saw a smile light up her face, but then it quickly faltered and faded.

Dash was behind her in a flash, looking in the room to make sure nothing had happened. I made my way up the stairs quickly and poked my head in the doorway. It was still decorated with Wonderbolts everything, just as we had left it. Dash landed behind her and placed a hoof on her shoulder, “What’s wrong, squirt? Don’t you like your room?”

Scootaloo looked back at her with her little ears pinned down and a crestfallen look on her face. “No, I like it, I guess. It’s… it’s just that I was kind of hoping there was more stuff about my heroes.”

Dash, with growing confusion, asked, “I thought you liked the Wonderbolts.”

It was at that moment I noticed the slightest beginnings of a smirk on Scootaloo’s lips. “I do, but none of them have ever done a Sonic Rainboom ...”

As Dash grabbed her up in a fierce hug. That thrice-damned voice picked that moment to whisper its poison, ‘Dash is the only one she really wants. You’re just a tag-along. Second best. Worthless.’

Just as the thoughts were getting impossible to ignore, I was saved by my daughter. “... or took on an Alpha and her lieutenants alone. Dad, would you mind if I started an Alex Roberts fan club?”

Before I could make any kind of witty remark, she gave me a kiss on the nose.

Surrounded by such love, Scootaloo could only grin.


Once we put all of her things away, we returned to the living room. I sat on the couch with Dash to my right and Scoots to my left. I rested my aching hand on Dash’s back and could just reach Scootaloo’s ears to give her a scratch. While we chatted about nothing, the doorbell rang. I started to get up but was stopped by Dash’s warning look. I noticed Scootaloo had a similar warning look. “Alright, point taken. Staying on my keister.”

While Scootaloo giggled at the new word, Dash trotted off to answer the door.

I heard a familiar duo of happy, filly voices, “Is Scootaloo home?”

Dash replied with pride, “You bet, girls. She's home sweet home.”

The little pegasus looked at me as if asking permission. I smirked, “Go see your friends. I’m sure they want to see you. Besides, Mom and I will still be here when you come back.”

She hesitated for only a moment, “Promise?”

I touched my right index finger on her nose. “Promise.”

Her little face lit up, and she scampered off to see her friends, only to meet them halfway. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Sapphire, and that grey-coated colt all tumbled into the living room and surrounded Scootaloo. They all spoke at once, but I could make out some of the exchanges.

Apple Bloom grinned from ear to ear. “I’m now officially your auntie Apple Bloom. Y’all have to listen to me now.”

Scoots grinned, “Not really, and you know it.”

Sweetie Belle spoke excitedly, “We came over as soon as we heard. All the kids are talking about it. Steelskin was so happy for you. He could have just burst.”

Sapphire broadcast in that strange way, ‘Friend Scootaloo, we are joyful at your acquisition of a permanent family unit.’

The grey colt had a bittersweet smile and shyly congratulated her, “I’m so happy for you ‘Loo. No one deserves awesome parents like them more than you.”

Scoots answered with a confident grin Dash would be totally proud of, “They are awesome, aren't they.”

Unnoticed by the others, Steelskin’s expression became tired, his eyes moistened, and when he thought all attention was off of him, he whispered quietly to himself, "Almost as awesome as mine were."

‘Poor kid,’ I thought.

After a few minutes of excited talk, Sweetie Belle got all the kid's attention, “I think we should celebrate with a sleepover at my house! It will be great fun. What do you think, Scootaloo?” All the kids looked at her with anticipation.

She looked at us and replied hesitatingly, “That would be really fun, but, I kind of want to stay here tonight. You know, first night and all.”

Sweetie blushed, “Oh. Right. Maybe next week?”

Scoots brightened up, “You bet. Next week, your place for sure.” She looked around at her friends, “Thank you all for this, I really appreciate you guys coming here, but I really want to spend some time with,” she smiled brightly and giggled in disbelief, “my folks.”

With a few friendly hugs, heartfelt goodbyes, and promises to meet up at school, the kids left.

We stood, smiling happily at each other for a moment, and then Scootaloo’s stomach growled.

Dash chuckled. “Looks like my awesome daughter is hungry. What kind of mom would I be if I didn’t fix it?” She sauntered to the kitchen. “Now, I may not be the cook your dad is, but I can whip up a mean pasta with tomato and hay sauce. What do you say, squirt?”

“That sounds really good.” She got this far away look, “My first home-cooked meal. Can my day get any better?”

Dash piped up. "How about you have that sleepover here?"

She stood, mouth agape. “Really?”

Dash nodded, “Darn right. It wasn’t something I ever did, but if you want it... Bam! It’ll happen.”

Scoots looked concerned, “You never had a sleepover?”

Dash smoothed her daughter’s mane lovingly, “Just one, but I want you to have all the cool stuff a filly should have that I never got.” She embraced her little filly. “You are so special to me. I just want to see you happy.”

With overflowing joy, Scootaloo spoke. “Mom, I’m already happy.”

I kneeled down and joined the hug.

Dash chuckled, “Alright you two. Enough of this for now. Alex, keep the couch warm. Squirt, set the table, then join your dad. I’ll make the grub and call you both when it’s ready.”

I was about to object, but I saw my useless right hand. I sighed, “Yes, dear.”

“Don’t worry, you big lug, you’ll have plenty of chances to make dinner.” Dash leaned over to Scoots and did that pony whisper, “Truth is, he’s a way better cook than me, but with that busted arm and hand, he can’t do it right now. Not that it would stop him. Us girls need to keep an eye on him.”

Scoots turned her head towards me with a mischievous grin and narrowed eyes, “I’ve got my eye on you, Dad.”


After dinner, Dash and Scoots cleaned up. I mostly kept the couch warm. I wasn’t comfortable with them serving me, but I was stuck. So, I made the best of it and decided to entertain them with an old story, ponified of course.

I started, in my best bard’s voice, “Once upon a time-”

Dash chuckled, and I’m sure she rolled her eyes, too, “Here we go.”

I sniffed. “Madam, if I can’t help clean, I will help pass the time. Ahem. Once upon a time, long, long ago, there was an old traveling cleric.”

Scoots interrupted me, “Dad? What’s a cleric?”

I thought for a second. ‘Maybe I should have said merchant.’ I finally replied, “Someone who serves a Princess and maybe has a cutie mark related to them.”

Dash put a hoof on my hip, “Don’t confuse her, Alex. It’s like… like Mr Waddle. Someone who helps with life ceremonies.”

Scootaloo brightened at Dash’s explanation.

I bowed my head formally at Dash, “Thank you, my beloved. Yes, this cleric went around and helped ponies remember what was important in life. He carried only a few possessions, the biggest of which was a large iron pot, big enough to make soup for a whole town.”

Scoots tilted her head and asked with interest, “What kind of pony was he? What was his name? What was his cutie mark?”

I thought fast, “It was an earth pony named Covert Pedagogue. His cutie mark was a split disk, half sun, half moon.

One day, he found a town where harmony was at its lowest. No one shared, and everypony was only worried about themselves. While he walked into town, ponies slammed their doors shut and peeked out from behind closed shutters.

Near the centre of town, he called out to a rich-looking home, ‘Do you have some food for an old travelling pony?’

The reply was quick and harsh, ‘Beat it old timer. We don’t got no extra food! Nothing to share!’

He tried another house, and another, and another. They all gave the same answer. Nothing to share.

To each, he smiled wisely and thanked them. Then, right in the middle of town he placed his pot on the ground and started to build a fire with a few meagre sticks.

One brave mare crept out of her house and asked, ‘Hey, buddy. Whatcha doin'?’.

The old stallion smiled kindly to her and replied simply. ‘Oh, nothing much. Just making stone soup.’.

The cautious mare became curious. ‘Stone soup? How can you possibly make soup out of stones? You’d break your teeth, and you don’t sure don’t look like a dragon.’

He chuckled, ‘Oh my, no. I’m just an old pony. The trick is how to cook them.’

By this time, a few more ponies had ventured out.

With a kindly smile, he spoke to the assembled ponies. ‘To make the soup, I’ll need some water. Could any of you help an old stallion with tired bones get some water to fill my pot?”

A few ponies volunteered to bring water, and soon, the pot was full.

‘Wonderful. There should be enough for the whole town.’ He looked worriedly at the sticks under the pot, ‘Oh my. I think I may need one or two more sticks of wood to heat this much soup. Could any of you spare a stick or two of wood?’

The gathered ponies murmured, and a few called out, ‘I’ll bring some!’, and soon there was a roaring fire under the pot.

‘And now, for the main ingredient.’ He pulled three smooth river stones out of his saddlebags. Plop. Plop. Plop. ‘Now, they simmer for about 15 minutes. You should soon be smelling the wonderfully delicate flavours of the rich broth. Oh my, yes.’

Soon, ponies were getting closer, and one exclaimed, ‘Hey! I can smell the wonderfully delicate flavours of the rich broth!’ Others joined her, and all the ponies were talking about how wonderful it smelled.

Covert Pedagogue took a long wooden spoon and took a taste. ‘Not bad, not bad. I think it could use just a little bit of rosemary and pepper.’

One pony called out, ‘I have rosemary!’

Another called out, ‘I have pepper!’

Soon, they were back and adding their ingredients.

Covert gave the pot a good stir and tasted again. ‘Not bad, not bad. Almost ready. But…’

‘But what?’ a pony in the back of the crowd called out.

The old pony considered, ‘I find this soup gets a nice little flavour boost with just a little chopped garlic and diced onion.’

One pony called out, ‘I have garlic!’

Another called out, ‘I have onions!’

Soon, they were back and adding their ingredients.

Once again, Covert gave the pot a stir and tasted it. ‘Almost there. It just needs a little more body, something to add bulk and more flavour.’

One pony called out, ‘I have carrots!’

Another called out, ‘I have potatoes!’

Covert smiled beatifically, ‘Oh my, yes. Those would do just fine.’

The ponies with the carrots and potatoes ran off to get them. Soon, they were back and adding their ingredients.

Covert gave the pot a good stir and tasted again. ‘This is good. Very good.’ He stood tall and called out to the crowd, ‘Good news, everyone. The soup is ready.’

A pony in the crowd yelled out, ‘We need tables!’

Another called out, ‘And bowls!’

Yet another, ‘And spoons!’

Soon, a cacophony of voices offering the needed items and more were heard. In a few short minutes, there were tables covered in tablecloths, bowls, salads, dinner rolls, and everything needed for a feast.

Covert raised a hoof, and the crowd became silent. “Thanks to all the things you all shared, we may now all have a feast.”

For a moment, there was silence. The mare who first talked to him sighed, ‘We just got schooled, didn’t we?’

The old stallion just chuckled.

The end.

By the way, Scootaloo, do you know what his friends called him, that old cleric?”

She shook her head and grinned, “No, but I bet it’s cool.”

“They called him Sneaky Teacher.”

Dash groaned and threw a damp dish towel at me. I caught it with my face and chuckled.


We spent the rest of the evening on the couch as a family. We chatted, played word games, told more stories. I was somewhat reserved. I didn’t want to overwhelm my little girl. We had plenty of time for personal histories.

Scootaloo yawned, and Dash smiled. “Alright, squirt. It's time for bed. My little filly needs to get a full night's sleep.”

She looked up at Dash, “Aw, do I have to, Mom?”

I answered, “Yes, you do, pumpkin. You need your sleep.”

She seemed a little put out by this but acquiesced, “Alright.”

I continued, “Actually, it’s been a long day. I think we should all head for the sack.”

Dash yawned, “Your dad’s right, squirt. Time for us all to hit the hay.”

While Dash ushered Scoots to the bathroom to wash up, I used the sink in the kitchen. With everyone freshened up we turned off the lights and made our way upstairs. Scootaloo hesitated at the threshold to her room, just for a heartbeat, then rushed in and jumped on her bed, giggling and laughing joyfully.

Dash smiled lovingly at her once little sister, now daughter. “Alright, squirt. Time for bed.”

Scoots reluctantly hopped off the bed. I smiled as I pulled her covers back with my left hand. She snuggled into the bed and Dash pulled the covers over her. We kissed her on the forehead, and she gave us each a hug. I happily pulled her covers back over her and tucked her in.

“Nice and snug, pumpkin. Now, you have a good night's sleep.” I gave her little fetlock a light squeeze and her a smile.

We closed her door and went to our own bedroom. I sat on the edge of the bed. “She’s a good kid, Mom.”

Dash leaned against me, “She’s an awesome kid, Dad.”

I kissed Dash on the cheek and started trying to change my clothes. Dash hopped off the bed to get a book from the little bookshelf in the bedroom. As I struggled, Dash smiled at me around her book, “You need a hoof?”

I was struggling with my clothes and decided to stop being stubborn. “Would you mind? I just want to change into some boxers and a tee shirt. Just in case.”

Dash placed her book down and looked at me curiously, “What do you mean?”

I felt a little embarrassed, “Well, I don’t want her to freak out if she sees my back.”

Dash nodded and smirked at me. “Oh, that. I’d kind of forgotten about that. Good idea.”

I never said a word, but her forgetting that felt good. I’m not above a little narcissistic pride. Dash wordlessly helped me get my clothes off and some fresh garments on.

As she was helping me pull my shirt down, she paused. “I know Scoots never had a lot of pegasus culture growing up, but, you know what would be nice? A real classic pegasus adoption ceremony. I remember seeing them in Cloudsdale. The dad or dominant mom would take the foal to the city hall steps and hold the kid up for everyone to see. Then they would say something like, ‘This filly is my daughter. Let all know this and remember it, or I’ll kick your flank’,” she chuckled, “or something like that. Not every family did it, and it was always a different little speech, but I think we should. I want her to know, without any doubt in her head, that she’s a part of this family.”

I put my green rubber-encased right hand against her cheek, and Dash kissed my thumb, “That sounds like an awesome idea, Dash. Let’s do it on market day so that everyone can see.”

She tilted her head, “Does your family have any kind of tradition like that?”

“There were no traditions like that in my family. But I do remember being in a small dwarven city on market day, and something similar happened. Their speech was something like, ‘This child is the blood of my blood. This child is the flesh of my flesh. If you strike them, you strike us all. If you befriend them, you befriend us all.’ and so on and so forth. There was even a dwarven accountant recording everything.”

“An accountant? Seriously?”

“Hey, the dwarves take their paperwork seriously. Accountants make sure the books are balanced. Money, favours, debts, life, death, you name it. I worked with one for a while, Einkill Ungart. Nice kid. Only 67 years old, a teenager by dwarf standards. Got mixed up with a cult of Loki, but we got him turned around before I left.”

She shook her head slightly, “You know, sometimes I just don’t know if you’re spitballing or telling the truth.”

I laughed, “The memories get a little muddled, so it’s likely a bit of both.” I gave her a kiss on the nose, then yawned. “Alright, time to snooze.”

We were soon fast asleep but were woken by a knock on our door. I lifted myself on my elbow and saw a little orange muzzle poking around the door.

I spoke quietly so as to not wake up Dash. “What’s up, pumpkin? You okay?”

Dash started awake, “Scootaloo? What’s wrong? You alright? Oh my gosh, are you okay? You’re not feeling sick, are you? Oh, mare, I was afraid of this. My pasta was bad, wasn’t it? Now I made my filly sick.” She jumped out of the bed, wings flared. “Alex, I’m taking her to the hospital. Catch up when you can.”

Scootaloo waved her mom down. “I’m not sick, mom. And your supper was great. It’s not that, it’s…” she trailed off, murmuring something just under her breath.

I walked over to her and put my left hand on her shoulder, “You’re going to have to repeat that last part. I’m a little hard of hearing sometimes.”

She gave us a resigned sigh, eyes fixed on the ground, “I said, I would really like to sleep with you guys tonight. If that’s okay with you.”

Dash looked uncertain, but I gathered Scootaloo up in a hug. “Pumpkin, you can sleep with us whenever you like. You’re our daughter, and you’re the most important filly here. As long as you don’t mind snoring. I’ve been told I snore like a train.”

Dash smirked, “He’s just being funny. He doesn’t snore.”

Scootaloo and I shared a moment, confirming to each other that her mom, and soon my wife, snores enough for two ponies.

I smiled. This was a situation I was very familiar with. Lily used to sneak into our bed from time to time. I didn’t realize how much I missed this until now. “Alright, kiddo, I’ve got the inside third right here, mom has the outside third, right there, and you, my dear, have the middle bit. Sound good?”

With obvious relief, she hopped on the bed and snuggled in. “Sounds great, mom and dad.”

Dash laid a wing over Scootaloo and pulled her close. I smiled down on them then pulled the covers over us all.

With a little help from the girls.

PreviousChapters Next