• Published 12th Apr 2013
  • 1,885 Views, 52 Comments

Winter's Grasp - Zman537



A eighteen year old gets sent into a freezing adventure

  • ...
2
 52
 1,885

Icey Tracks

I had spent the next couple of hours explaining my world to the only ponies that would probably listen to me. I had tried to go into detail on how our weather works, how magic was non-existent, how I used to live my life and what it included, and finally, I attempted to teach them about our technology, but it mostly coincided to their magic to the point that if it did something back home, There’s a spell for that or the concept was way too foreign for their current time.

However... some concepts just, wouldn't, stay with Jump’s attention span. “So there are no Pegasi? And the weather controls itself?”

I was laying on my cot again while saying the same answers over... and over... and over.... “For the last time Jump, YES it controls itself, NO there are no Pegasi or Unicorns or Griffons or whatever else you can think of in my world, and NO my hair was not white before any of this fuck-all happened and I wish I knew how the fuck to change it back!“ I placed the book I was writing in to the side and clapped my hands on my face. Please be satisfied with the answers.... PLEASE!!

Jump blushed a little before looking at the ground. “Okay... Sorry for asking so much...” THANK GOD ALMIGHTY!

I sighed and looked over at her. “It’s fine Jump... I’m just.... really fucking stressed right now.” I turned to everyone else to see that Bass and Octavia were scowling. One in concern and the other in agitation. Vinyl was looking a little shocked. “Any more questions?”

Vinyl figuratively stepped up to the plate and looked over at me. “Well you’ve told us about what your world was like, but.... yeah, could you explain how you got here? You haven’t really done that yet because we were kinda interrupting you....a lot....”

I blinked for a moment before slapping my hand into my cranium that is too thick to let any thoughts get out. Damn it she has a point... “Yeah... Let’s get back to that.” I got out of the cot and sat down in the middle of the hall. The ponies all stood and sat in front of me like it was story time. It kinda is though.... Fuck this reminds me of kindergarten way to fucking much. “As I said before, I was working on some projects for my boss during a blizzard. I was inside of my room when this...” I pointed to The Eye, ”smashed through my window and let the cold wind inside, ruining my work that wasn’t on my computer and making a complete mess of my room.

When I went to see what had smashed my window I found it and picked it up. It then fused with my hand and started to cause all of the wind to pick up and send me into what looked like the inside of a square storm cloud. A couple of creatures showed up soon after that were made of what I think was mist and frost. They called themselves ‘Wedigos’ or something and said I was to be,” I did an epic deep voice, “the heir to their powers’ or something. I was then unceremoniously dropped into a frozen wasteland and altered to what you see before you.” I looked up at the others and saw that all of them were looking at me in horror. “What?”

Octavia was the only one who seemed able to talk. “Y-y-you’re a W-wendigo?!”

I looked over at her in confusion. “Uh, no! I said the things that did this to me were Wendigos. I’m still a human....” I looked at my hand and sighed. “If only somewhat.” I put my hand down and looked over to them. “Anyways. I don’t even know what a Wendigo is in this world and I certainly hope it isn’t like what legends say back home. Could one of you tell me, or do I have to research it myself?”

“W-well,” Jump stuttered out, “all I r-really know about Wendigos is w-what’s said about them i-in the Hearth’s Warming play...”

I motioned for her to continue. “And that would be...”

Vinyl jumped into the conversation, interrupting Jump. “They’re supposed to be spirits that feed off of hatred and make everything too cold for anypony to live. The Hearth’s Warming tales said that they made the original home of the three pony tribes uninhabitable because the ponies fought too much and stuff. But that’s all I really remember about it cause I normally don’t pay attention to those silly plays.”

Octavia looked over to her with a worried glance. “Vinyl...”

I raised a hand and they all looked at me. “No Octavia... it’s fine.” I looked over to the group as a whole. “So what you’re all telling me... is that the beings that did this to me are so ancient in your world that there isn’t much information on them at all besides folklore and fairytales?” They all gave somewhat fearful nods and I could only sigh. “Well that’s. Just. Great.” My head sank with each word. Why? Why is this happening? Why me? Why couldn’t this stupid eyeball fly into my asshole neighbor's house and take him away! WHY WHY WHY!?

Bass spoke up after a couple minutes. “Hey man.... you going to be alright?”

I stood and walked towards the door of the train. “Yeah.... I just need a moment.” Not a minute later I was between the train cars again. I couldn’t help but chuckle a little. “Seems like I can’t think unless I’m out here.” I just sat out there and thought over what they had told me. Wendigos or whatever gained power from hatred and made things colder. Now that I thought about it... it made some sense. I mean, I had been able to freeze things at will since I got here. I kept getting mad at some of the smallest things and would barely keep myself from snapping their heads off. Maybe I should ask for some more details about their folklore? I should probably wait a bit before I do though. Things are a little tense inside right now.

I took a look over to the side and saw that the train was far out of the snowy region of the world’s environment. Instead, we were passing through some dense forest. I moved over to the side of the cars and stuck my hand out, feeling the wind pass between my fingers. I wonder if it’ll be possible for me to get home? I sighed before pulling my hand back and grabbing the door handle. “Not like anyone would even notice that I’m gone. I bet that fucker I called ‘Boss’ and ‘Sir’ has already found a replacement for my sorry ass.”

I decided that I had spent long enough feeling sorry for myself and headed back in. Vinyl and Octavia were talking to each other while Jump was trying to avoid eye contact. Bass actually got up and moved over to where I sat down. “You better?”

“Yeah.” I made a ball of ice and rolled it around in my palm. “I just need some info on what’s going on. Being left in the dark on things involving me... tends to irritate me a bit.” He nodded a few times and we all sat around the car. It took a bit, but I finally realized that I didn’t know a vital portion of info that is needed. “Hey Bass?”

“Yeah?”

“Where the heck is this train headed?” Bass blinked a couple times before laughing. I joined him after a few moments and the others started staring at us.

Bass and I finally stopped laughing after a bit and he got up, wiping a tear from his eyes. “Oh man...” He cleared his throat. “Anyways, the train is headed to Baltimare, Me and Jump have a gig there so it’s where we are getting off. Vinyl and Octavia, however, are headed to their home in Ponyville.”

I repeated the names over in my head and held back a sigh. Stupid.... puns.... “Well.... are either of them close to Equestria’s capital? I kinda want to go there.”

Vinyl perked up and trotted over. “Ponyville is pretty much right next door to Canterlot. I actually have a gig planned up there next week. Why don’t you come with me and Tavi? We could use the company.”

With a scowl, Octavia dragged Vinyl away and started to whisper between the two of them. It seemed that Octavia... didn’t really approve of the idea. I decided that it would be best right about then to stay away from them. Eventually, Octavia broke apart from Vinyl and trotted over. “Zachary, Vinyl and I have agreed that it will be fine for you to accompany us to Ponyville.” Vinyl was doing a hoof pump in the background and I closed my eyes. There’s a catch, I know it. “But only that far. Once we reach Ponyville, you can continue on to Canterlot from there on your own.” Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there it is.

I sighed and put on a fake smile. Something that I’ve managed to perfect over my life. “Thank you for the offer. For now though, I suggest that we all enjoy the ride.”

Bass nodded in agreement as he looked out the window. “Yep, Baltimare is just a few minutes away from the looks of it.”

I gave him a thumbs up as I flopped onto the bed. “Cool. Now if you'll excuse me-” I pulled out my headphones and put them on, “I’ll be zoning out now.” I flicked through my Ipod and started to play some music as the train stopped. Looking out the window again, I could see a rather similar representation of Baltimore outside. Just.... more ‘ponyish’ than the real thing. Oh...... this world is going to be pun hell.... I just know it. It's going to be pun after pun and it's going to stick to me like glue on the ass after the first month or two.

With the train stopped, Bass and Jump both got off after saying their goodbyes to Vinyl and Octavia. I gave them my own wave and after the passengers got on and off, the train continued on it’s way.

It was quiet for a while before I couldn’t stand the silence in the room and had run out of songs that I felt like listening to. “So, Vinyl.” The DJ turned towards me. “What’s Ponyville like?”

Vinyl grinned happily as she began to talk about the town. “Ponyville is like, the most awesome town ever. It’s nice and quiet most days, but wow does some crazy stuff happen there. There was this one time the entire town was flooded with parasprites!”

I just sat there and nodded. “I have no idea what those are, but go on.”

Vinyl started to move her forehooves to emphasize what she was saying, while Octavia watched with a small, but nervous, smile. “They were everywhere! Flying around, eating all the food, and being general pains in the flank. Then the town librarian came out and tried to cast a spell on them to make them leave, but it just made them start eating everything that wasn’t food!”

Octavia was smiling a little as she lightly laughed. “Didn’t they try to eat your turntables?”

Vinyl nodded stiffly as she seemed to get lost in a memory. “Yep, and they learned pretty fast how sharp a vinyl record can be.”

I chuckled nervously as I started to rub the back of my head nervously. “Well then.... aside from freshly cut parasprites...” That hopefully I will never join the ranks of, “what happened then?”

Vinyl blinked back into reality a little before she continued flailing her strangely flexible hooves as she finished the story. “It was chaos! The town was in shambles, the food was all but gone, and the PRINCESSES were coming in only a few minutes! There was no way to fix anything in time and everypony was on the verge of hysterics when the next thing we know, Pinkie Pie starts marching down the street playing at least ten different instruments at once! I’m still not sure what was weirder. Pinkie, or the parade of parasprites that started to follow her out of town.”

I was silent after she finished telling the tale of parasprites. Okay.... that sounded a lot like the tale of the Pied Piper.

Octavia furrowed her brows as she looked at me. “Pied Piper?” I blinked before slapping my hand into my face faster than an Indie 900 race. Dag Nabbit! I was thinking out loud again!... And why did I think Dag Nabbit!? I normally just yell FUCK! Even if it is in my head!

“Well Octavia, The Pied Piper was a story from my home. It’s a really old story, has some similarities to the one Vinyl just told me, and I don’t feel like being a storyteller right now so I’ll tell you two in the future. Deal?” Vinyl, who had been leaning in sense I spoke my mind, slumped and pouted slightly.

Octavia just nodded her head and looked out the window. “That would be just fine an- oh! It seems were almost in Ponyville now.”

I took a peek out the window myself and saw what I could only describe as an old english village from... what, the 19th century? I don’t freaking know, I failed my history classes like a freaking tool to such an extreme the teachers were wondering how I did it. “Rustic.”

Vinyl nodded and joined Octavia near the car doors. “Yeah, but that’s what helps give it it’s charm. I’m pretty sure that you’ll find something interesting in Ponyville. There always is.”

I chuckled a little and stood behind them. “Yeah, like an army of parasprites or something.”

Octavia groaned while Vinyl laughed. “Dude, that was like.... a normal Tuesday for us.” I just stood there and looked at her in confusion as she laughed at said confusion.

When the car doors opened up, Octavia and Vinyl both walked...er...trotted out of the train and I followed them onto the platform with one thought in my head. I’m not really sure why this was what I was thinking... it just was.

Why Tuesday?

Author's Note:

Who Tuesday? Well that's an easy one! It's cause nothing special happens on Tuesdays at all. With Monday it's "I hate Mondays" day, and Wednesday it's 'Hump day', Thursday it's 'Just one more day, just one more day' day, Friday is 'FUCK YES! FRIDAY IS HERE!' day, Saturday is 'Fuck the world and everyone on it, I want to sleep' day. and Sunday is 'Crap tomorrow is Monday' day. Tuesday is just.... Tuesday.

So I have made it so that Tuesday is now 'Ponyville insanity' day!

Enjoy the fruit of my aching hands and sleep deprived mind. They managed to work together to finish this by freaking midnight! :D

Now if you will all excuse me, I need to fall unconscious in that sweet sweet comfort known as a bed.