• Published 11th Apr 2013
  • 2,513 Views, 36 Comments

Fallout Equestria: M.I.A. - CivilWarPony



Two months have passed since Airborne found the greatest Pegasus in Equestria's history. Now he is one a mission from Rainbow Dash, to find out what happened to the original Wonderbolts?

  • ...
9
 36
 2,513

Part Eight: Honoring the Past and Future

Part Eight: Honoring the Past and Future

Airborne awakens the next day and stretches his sore body. Looking around he notices his wings are no longer bandaged and perfectly healed. Airborne sees Fluttershy trot into the room and she says, “I healed you wings with megaspell I developed during the War.” Airborne flexes his wings and smiles then says, “Thank you for healing them. I really appreciate it.” She replies, “It is I who should thank you. You have done so much for me and Equestria that we can never fully repay you. If there is anything you want from me you need but to ask.” Airborne shakes his head and says, “There is no need to reward me. I was just doing what is right.” Fluttershy kisses Airborne’s cheek and says, “I wish there were more ponies like you these days.” Airborne blushes then says, “Thank you Fluttershy.” After getting out of the medical wing, Airborne flies home and sees Starshine waiting for him on the front stoop. She smiles as he lands and says, “I was coming to visit you today but I guess I don’t need to anymore.” Airborne nuzzles her saying, “Fluttershy healed it for me.” Starshine blushes slightly and says, “Remind me to thank her when I next see her.” Airborne goes inside their house seeing Soarin and Rainbow Dash sitting in the living room.

Soarin looks up with pieces of pie crust sticking to his cheeks as Rainbow Dash wave’s hello. Airborne rolls his eyes and says, “Let me guess. You had Starshine bake you an apple pie Soarin?” Soarin shakes his head and smiles saying, “Yeah, she makes some of the best apple pie I have ever tasted even Spitfire agreed.” Airborne flops down onto the couch and places his hooves onto the table in front of him. Rainbow Dash looks at him saying, “I am glad to see you have fully healed from our misadventures in Coltpolis.” Airborne stretches his wings saying, “Yeah, Fluttershy healed them for me. I didn’t know megaspells could be used to heal. I thought that they were only used to create weapons.” Rainbow Dash nods saying, “They can be used for both. But not many ponies know how to use megaspells these days so thank Celestia that Fluttershy remembers how.” Starshine sits down next to Airborne and leans her head on his shoulder sighing contently. Rainbow hands Soarin a napkin who takes it and wipes his muzzle with it. Soarin burps and laughs as well as everypony else. Starshine gets up from the couch and trots into the kitchen then comes back into the room with another apple pie. Soarin’s eyes widen and he pounces onto the pie as soon as Starshine sets it down on the table. Airborne raises his left wing to shield his face from the flying pieces of apple pie. When the pieces stop flying Airborne lowers his wing and looks around. Rainbow Dash’s face is covered in pieces of apple pie while Starshine says, “Great I will have to clean all afternoon get rid of this mess.” Soarin looks up at her and says, “I am sorry Starshine. I just love apple pie.” Starshine replies, “I know Soarin.”

A few hours later Airborne sits down in Rainbow Dash’s office inside of the Wonderbolt Academy. She looks at him and says, “Airborne, do you know why you are here?” Airborne shrugs and says, “Nope I have no idea why I am here.” Rainbow replies, “You are here because I have come to the realization that you have done so much for me and Equestria that I cannot help but thank you personally. I know Fluttershy offered you a reward but I feel I must do the same. So please take this.” She pushes a wooden case across her desk and says, “This served me well during the War. I hope it will serve you just as well in the future.” Airborne opens the case and sees a revolver with gold engraving on the ejector tube that reads Lucky Star. On the handle is a small depiction of Rainbow Dash’s cutie mark. Rainbow Dash says, “That is a Firewing .357. There aren’t many of those around anymore. I think that might be the only one left in Equestria.” Airborne says, “I thought you used a magical battle-saddle during the War?” She replies, “I did and still do. But I liked to keep something like that around just in case of close encounters with any zebra that got too close. But I want you to keep it now.” Airborne takes out the gun and matching holster then places it around his waist saying, “Thanks Rainbow Dash.” She gets up from her desk and says, “Now we have some somber work to be done. This afternoon is the funeral for Baleout and I think we should both arrive on time for that.” Airborne nods and says, “I agree.” They both leave Rainbow Dash’s office and head towards the Wonderbolt Chapel.

When they arrive at the Chapel Airborne notices Spitfire and the Wonderbolts are in full dress uniform standing in front of the entire student body of cadets. Next to them stand’s Starshine, Hurricane Wind, and Sunrise next to them in a casket lies the body of Baleout. Baleout’s face is serene and calm. His mane had fallen over his face the yellow and white strands of hair giving him an angelic look. Sunrise trots over to Airborne and hugs him saying, “I am glad that you made it Airborne.” He hugs her back tightly and says, “I am glad you made it back to New Cloudsdale.” He then watches as Soarin walks over to Baleout’s casket and place an old Wonderbolt patch into it saying, “If Baleout had lived two hundred years ago before the War he would have been a member of the Wonderbolts in his own right. But now we live in a time where the world has gone to hell and what’s left is much worse than what come before. But Baleout died defending not only me and the rest of my friends but a vision that Equestria could become something better than it is now. So I say we honor his memory and the memory of all those lost during the War by making sure the Pegasi play their part in rebuilding this world.” Rainbow Dash trots in front of the casket and says, “From now on I expect every Pegasi to help in any way that they can because we cannot allow Baleout’s death to be meaningless. So from now on all Pegasi will put their best hoof forward in rebuilding this broken world.” The entire audience before her claps their hooves together applaud Rainbow Dash. Airborne watches as Spitfire closes the lid on the casket then as Soarin, Fleetfoot, Misty Fly, and Fire Streak carry it out of the Chapel followed by Sunrise and Hurricane Wind. Rainbow Dash looks at him saying, “I never liked attending funerals even during the War. They remind me of just how much we have lost and it seems pointless considering the world I had a hoof in destroying is gone.” Airborne replies, “Which is why we have to make it all mean something in the end Rainbow Dash.”

Airborne trots outside and sees a number of unicorns with their horns glowing. Baleout’s casket glows as a magical fire engulfs it. Soarin turns and hands Sunrise a folded flag with the symbol of Old Equestria on it. She takes the flag and stares at it then at the casket as it disappears in the magical inferno. After the fire consumes the casket Spitfire walks over to Sunrise and hands her Baleout’s shotgun Cloudhammer saying, “I found this among Baleout’s personal effects. I think he would want you to have it.” Sunrise takes the shotgun and slings it over her back saying, “Thank you. I am glad that I will at least be able to keep some part of him with me.” The last flickering embers of the magical fire dim and disappear leaving a fine powdered ash on the ground. Airborne trots away from the group of gathered ponies and goes back into the Chapel sitting down on a pew.

Behind him he hears the hooffalls of somepony coming up the isle towards him. Turning his eyes widen in shock and sees a pony he had once seen but knew to be dead. Lightning Dust sits down on the bench next to him saying, “This place looks familiar much like it did in the old Wonderbolt Academy.” Airborne looks at his great-grandmother and says, “How is this possible?” Lightning Dust replies, “Equestria is a land of magic where even Death itself is irrelevant besides when I saw a chance to come back I took it since I believe you could use some advice Airborne.” Airborne pins his ears back and raise an eyebrow replying, “What advice?” She ruffles his hair saying, “I know what you have been fearing inside of your heart Airborne. I came back to tell you not to worry about failing her because of what happened to Baleout. Besides the mistakes of the past that I made and those ponies that lived back then made shouldn’t affect you now. This is a chance for everything to start over, so please don’t be afraid to love Starshine because you fear dying. Love never dies and that is what has brought me here today. My love for my family is something that can never die. So take advantage of everything while you are here and put that good heart of yours to some use to help this world and those in it.” Lightning Dust gets up from the pew and says, “Well I guess it’s time for me to go.” Airborne looks at her and says, “Tell Baleout I am sorry I couldn’t save him” Lightning Dust looks back and says, “He told me to say not to worry about him. He doesn’t regret going with you to Coltpolis. He was able to fight alongside the Wonderbolts and is grateful for having met you.” Lightning Dust kisses his cheek and says, “I love you Airborne. Never forget that.” Lightning Dust slowly disappears and is gone. Starshine walks up and sits down on the pew next to Airborne and says, “What’s wrong?” he replies, “Nothing is the matter.” He then kisses her saying, “Will you marry me Starshine?” she replies, “I thought you already promised me that?” Airborne says, “I was having some second thoughts after all of this but I got some advice that put my mind at ease.” She hugs him saying, “Of course I will marry you Airborne.” Soarin walks up and says, “Well I am glad you finally decided to commit to each other. Rainbow Dash and I thought we would have to buck you both in the head to see sense.” Airborne laughs and replies, “No that won’t be necessary.” Soarin trots over to Airborne and says, “Let me be the first to congratulate you on your engagement.” Airborne blushes slightly then notices behind Soarin somepony standing there and sees Baleout laughing then waves before disappearing.

The following day Airborne and Starshine are married behind their home in a private reception. Fluttershy administers over the marriage ceremony and smiles as Airborne places a ring around Starshine’s foreleg. After the ceremony is over Rainbow Dash, Soarin, and Spitfire trot over to Airborne. Airborne looks at them saying, “Don’t tell me. You need me to go on another mission where I will be facing impossible odds and dangerous enemies to find another pony from Equestria’s past?” Rainbow Dash shakes her head saying, “No we don’t need you to go on any missions especially on your wedding day besides I doubt you could resist the allure of an adventure any more than I can. No we need to discuss something with you that has been on Spitfire’s mind for some time.” Spitfire says, “As you are no doubt aware there is a shortage of Pegasi patrolling the skies of Equestria. Most of our new recruits are still too green to partake on most of the dangerous missions which is becoming an increasingly alarming reality in Equestria. So I have decided that we need a more elite squad to patrol the skies of Equestria to ensure the Pegasi contribute to the rebuilding of Equestria into what it once was and the Wonderbolts can fulfill this role rather well but we are still undermanned and cannot be everywhere at once. So I have decided to make both you Airborne, Starshine, and Sunrise members of the Wonderbolts if you want?” Airborne replies, “How could I say no to an offer like that, it was my ancestor Lightning Dust’s dream to be a member of the Wonderbolts. Since she is no longer hear I will fulfill her dream for her.” Starshine replies, “Wherever my husband goes so shall I. Besides somepony has to watch his flank to make sure he doesn’t shoot his tail off.” Airborne smiles and rubs his foreleg in embarrassment. Sunrise looks at Spitfire and says, "I will join. I think Baleout would have wanted me too and this is a way I can keep his memory alive with me." Spitfire nods then says, "Well then welcome to the Wonderbolts everypony. I am sure you will do your best to honor the name and make me proud."

After the reception is over Airborne and Starshine stare out over New Cloudsdale. Airborne says, “I wonder if Fluttershy has added Baleout’s name to the Wall of Remembrance?” Starshine replies, “I am sure she has. Something like that wouldn’t be anything she would forget. It’s hard to think that he is gone isn’t it?” He shakes his head saying, “Seems every time we go on these adventures we lose a friend. First Darkstar and now Baleout, I hope we don’t lose any more as we serve in the Wonderbolts.” Starshine leans her head on his shoulder replying, “Which is why we have to fight harder to protect those we love. So let’s make sure we never lose anypony else every again.” The next day Airborne and Starshine go into Rainbow Dash’s office inside of the New Wonderbolt Academy. Rainbow Dash says, “Sorry to have called you in after your wedding yesterday but we are having problems with bandits raiding caravans near the ruins of Ponyville. I am ordering the Wonderbolts to find and stop this group of bandits before they become a problem. Once they are taken care of we can go on to further secure the trade routes throughout Equestria. This will be our first step in rebuilding Equestria back to what it was. These bandit scumbags have to learn that the days of raiding and pillaging are over with. A new sun has arisen over Equestria and we will make sure they know it.” Airborne looks at Starshine who nods then says, “Sure we are ready for whatever you have for us.” Rainbow Dash replies, “That’s the spirit. Report to Spitfire in one hour near the barracks, make sure you have gathered all of your gear from the armory and have stocked up on plenty of supplies cause you will be out there for some time.” As Airborne leaves Rainbow Dash’s office she says, “Please watch your back Airborne and take care.” Airborne nods and replies, “I will be fine Rainbow Dash don't worry about me.”

Airborne joins Starshine in the hall outside of Rainbow Dash’s office and asks, “So are you ready?” She nods her head and says, “Yeah, so let’s go. Maybe we will be back before dinner.” Airborne chuckles and trots out of the Academy towards the armory. Walking inside he grabs All Equestrian from a locked footlocker along with Gust and Thunder placing the weapons in their respective holsters. Starshine helps Airborne into his armored barding then Airborne does the same for her. Airborne places his weapons into his utility barding then leaves the armory with Starshine trailing behind him. Approaching the barracks Spitfire and Soarin trot over to Airborne, Soarin smiles saying, "So, are the newly weds ready to kick some bandit flank?" Starshine replies, "Yes, we are. Although I don't know why you are so happy about that?" Soarin replies, "Well these bandits need a good kick in the flank, it's not like we can ask them nicely to stop raiding caravans." Airborne looks at Spitfire saying, "We are ready when do we leave?" Spitfire smiles and says, "We were just waiting for you two. Now that you are ready we can get going." Spitfire turns with Airborne, Soarin and Starshine following behind her ahead Fleetfoot, Misty Fly, and Fire Streak finish checking their equipment. Fire Streak sees Airborne and Starshine saying, "Well now here are our other two newest members. About time you go here we thought we would have to send out a search party to go and find you." Starshine notices Sunrise as she leaves the barracks with Cloudhammer slung over her back. Sunrise says, "Glad to see you guys again." Airborne nods and replies, "So let's go already before Soarin makes any more wise cracks." Soarin rolls his eyes then says, "Wise cracks are my specialty."

Spitfire says, "Alright everypony listen up! Our job is simple find the bandits attacking the trade caravans near the ruins of Ponyville and stop them. Now that everypony is here let's get this done and get back without anypony getting hurt. Any questions? Good! See you all soon!" Spitfire then stretches her wings and takes off followed by Soarin and the rest of the Wonderbolts. Sunrise turns and says, "Hopefully we won't be gone for too long. Rainbow Dash wants me to give a presentation on our trip into the Tomb to the newest cadet class." She then flaps her wings soars into the air, Airborne quickly follows after her with Starshine by his side. Looking back at New Cloudsdale as it disappears in the could cover then he turns wondering what other adventures awaited for him beyond the horizon of tomorrow. Whatever it was he knew that the power of friendship would see them through whatever the worst of the Equestrian Wasteland could throw at them. Because if he was together with his friends anything was possible with them by his side and maybe all this could be Equestria’s second chance to be born anew from the ashes of the Old World.

The End.

Author's Note:

Part Eight of Fallout Equestria: M.I.A. enjoy and don't forget to give it a thumbs up and leave a comment!!!

Fallout copyrighted to Bethesda Softworks

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic copyrighted to Hasbro Inc.

Fallout Equestria copyrighted to Kkat.

All other characters are copyrighted to me.

Comments ( 15 )

NO THIS IS NOT THE END.....is it

3328915

Nope, I am working on another Airborne Fanfic right now.

3330501

I take it that you like my stories. XD

How is this a crossover?

3331775

Fallout Equestria which was created by Kkat is a crossover between MLP and the Fallout video game series. There are many fanfic's based on the universe she created thus they are crossovers between the MLP and Fallout.

3332520 Not really, they're more dealing with an alternate universe future of MLP, so all it really warrants is an alternate universe tag.

Comment posted by La Barata deleted Feb 9th, 2014
Comment posted by CivilWarPony deleted Oct 27th, 2013
Comment posted by CivilWarPony deleted Feb 9th, 2014
Comment posted by La Barata deleted Feb 9th, 2014
Comment posted by CivilWarPony deleted Feb 9th, 2014

This chapter, of the errors I spotted, this one was pretty amusing.

As Airborne leaves Rainbow Dash’s office she says, “Please be careful Airborne we cannot afford to lose you” Airborne nods and replies, “I will be Rainbow Dash.”

I will be Rainbow Dash! Yes! Yay!...

Seriously, though, you need a comma in there between "be" and "Rainbow Dash". I'd also recommend inserting a comma between "Airborne" and "we" as well as contracting "cannot" to "can't". There are two statements (in this case they appear to be independent clauses) in that sentence, "Please be careful Airborne" and "We cannot afford to lose you". You could probably use a semicolon to separate them, but it might be overkill.

Login or register to comment