• Published 11th Apr 2013
  • 2,513 Views, 36 Comments

Fallout Equestria: M.I.A. - CivilWarPony



Two months have passed since Airborne found the greatest Pegasus in Equestria's history. Now he is one a mission from Rainbow Dash, to find out what happened to the original Wonderbolts?

  • ...
9
 36
 2,513

Part Seven: The Battle of Coltpolis

Part Seven: Battle of Coltpolis

Airborne stares at the heavily barricaded doors to Chaser Tower saying, “How exactly are we going to get in there?” Spitfire replies, “There’s only one option we have fight our way inside and kill Deathhoof.” Soarin says, “Well, there is only one way to get in there. We will have to blow the doors off this place and carve our way through all these Red Remnant featherheads.” Airborne watches as Soarin pulls out of his utility barding a few blocks of C4. He presses them to the heavy metal doors of Chaser Tower and molds them into place then places detonator fuses into the explosives. Airborne watches as Soarin steps back and say, “Alright everypony get back once I press the trigger on the detonator it’s going to make one hell of a bang. I have no doubt that those Remnant bastards will be ready and waiting for us inside.” Pressing down on the detonator trigger the doors of Chaser Tower burst of their thick hinges and crash to the ground with a loud thud.

Airborne rushes inside and ducks behind a large marble column then looks as the Wonderbolts and Rainbow Dash take up positions behind some overturned desks and old vending machines. Starshine presses herself close to Airborne’s side and says, “Can you see anything?” Airborne cautiously peers around the corner of the column and sees a large barricade metal barricade at the top of the central staircase in the middle of the room behind that he can see a few Remnant ponies already taking aim at the column he and Starshine are behind while the others train their weapons onto the Wonderbolts and Rainbow Dash ready to fire at the first sign of trouble.

Airborne pulls out from his barding a grenade and pulls the pin then lobs it. The grenade lands among the Remnant ponies and explodes showering the lobby of Chaser Tower with body parts and blood. Airborne looks around and says, “Alright I think it is clear to move out now.” Starshine shakes her mane and brushes small chunks of flesh out of her hair saying, “Next time Airborne warn me before you decide to shower me with gore.” Airborne stares and pins his ears back saying, “I am sorry but we don’t have time for this.” Airborne quickly trots up the stairs and presses the button to a gilded elevator and watches as the brightly illuminated numbers countdown till they reach the bottom floor. As the heavy elevator door slides open Soarin quickly checks the small room and says, “It’s clear.” Everypony quickly gets inside of the elevator and Misty Fly presses the button to the top floor which a faded old label reads, “Penthouse Suite.” As the elevator rises up through Chaser Tower everypony checks their weapons and reloads fresh magazines into them. Fire Streak cocks his ears and can hear a faint ticking noise then his eyes widen in surprising saying, “We have to get out of this thing.” Airborne replies, “Why if we take this elevator to the top floor we will be able to reach Deathhoof a lot quicker.” Spitfire whom had also heard the ticking says, “We won’t reach the top floor of Chaser Tower in one piece anyway this thing has been rigged to explode. It has probably been timed to trigger once we pass a certain floor so I suggest we leave quickly.” Looking around the small room Rainbow sees an emergency hatch on the roof of the elevator.

Grabbing ahold of it she slowly pushes the thing as Soarin presses the emergency stop button on the elevator panel. Immediately the elevator comes to a jerking halt as cold stale air fills the small room. Climbing out onto the roof of the elevator Airborne looks down the long dark shaft below him and his head starts to swoon with an overwhelming sense of vertigo. The other ponies quickly join Airborne on the roof of the elevator and Fleetfoot locates a small bundle of dynamite and tries to deactivate the explosive. But after a few minutes he says, “I cannot turn off the detonator it is set to a remote charge somewhere in this building so whatever we are going to do we need to do it now.” Airborne flaps his wings and lands on a metal beam about twenty feet up from the elevator he says, “We can just use the metal beams to climb our way up to the top of the tower.” Rainbow Dash flaps her wings and joins Airborne on the metal beam saying, “Alright everypony let’s get moving!” Everypony nods and starts to fly from beam to beam working their way to the top of Chaser Tower.

Two floors above them the elevator doors open and two Red Remnant ponies emerge with their guns drawn and pointed directly at the small group of ponies. Airborne winces as a bullet grazes his cheek, lifting All Equestrian to his shoulder and fires at the ponies who immediately duck behind the wall while one of them takes a bullet to the head then tumbles down the shaft. Rainbow Dash flaps her wings and quickly tosses a few grenades through the doorway blowing the Red Remnant ponies to pieces. Soarin soars up behind her and says, “Don’t take any chances Rainbow.” She looks at him saying, “Do you think these featherheads could remotely harm me? I am too awesome for that!” Just as she says that another group of Red Remnant ponies appears and open fire at both Soarin and Rainbow Dash who quickly turn and fire in unison at the group downing them. Spitfire appears behind them and says, “Having fun?” Soarin flicks his tail saying, “No not really but this place is crawling with these bastards. It’s hard to turn a corner without running into them.” Spitfire nods and says, “Reminds me of the old days during the War.” Soarin replies, “Yeah, but this is different. We aren’t fighting zebras instead we are fighting a bunch of crazy morons who die without even thinking about what they are sacrificing.” Rainbow looks at them and thinks, “They are still haunted by the War just as much as I am. After all of this is over I need to do something to make sure all Pegasi contribute to heal this broken world.”

After clearing the floor of all Red Remnant ponies Starshine says, “Going any farther up that elevator shaft is a deathtrap we should try to take the stairs up to the Penthouse Suite.” Airborne lets Fleetfoot clean and dress the wound on his cheek then he says, “I am getting really tired of dodging both bullets and bombs back in that elevator shaft. If I die I want to die standing with some solid ground beneath my hooves.” Fire Streak says, “A fight is a fight to me as long as I get to shoot somepony and end this nightmare I will be happy.” Starshine says, “Then let’s get going.” Starshine immediate trots over to the stairwell door and yanks it open. As soon as the door swings open a small pile of bones and old pony skulls land at Starshine’s hooves. Rainbow Dash says, “Even this place is a tomb. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised given this city is filled with mountains of ash.” Starshine and the rest of the ponies carefully step over the aged bones.

The group of ponies quickly rushes up the stairs which occasionally groan from years of neglect, particles of rust flake off of the deteriorated banisters and coat their manes with orange flecks. Eventually they reach the top floor of the stairwell and Airborne says, “Isn’t it weird we have yet to be shot at?” Rainbow replies, “Not really they probably expected that we would take the elevator and concentrated their forces around the center of the building. Any stairwell was probably left unguarded because of how old they are. Nopony would climb up these old steps and hope to live.” Misty Fly stamps her hooves and says, “Well we did so let’s not press our luck.” Soarin opens the door and as he does so and explosion knocks Soarin off his hooves flinging him against the far wall. Bits of shrapnel shred Airborne’s wings and he falls next to an unconscious Soarin. Rainbow rushes to Soarin’s side and shakes him saying, “Soarin don’t you die on me!” Airborne looks at Soarin with his one good eye as the other clotted with blood. Spitfire calls out, “Everypony all right? Sound off!” Misty Fly groans and raises a hoof saying, “I am still here.” Fire Streak cradles Fleetfoot’s unconscious body saying, “I am alright but Fleetfoot looks pretty rough.” Spitfire shakes her head saying, “I can barely hear anything. What the hell was that?” Starshine helps Airborne to his hooves saying, “The door must have been rigged to exploded incase anypony opened it.”

Airborne coughs and says, “Yeah it’s a clever trick but I am not stopping.” Rainbow Dash says, “Well before you go off to take down Deathhoof, we need to take care of your wings plus Soarin and Fleetfoot have yet to wake up.” Airborne says, “What about my wings? They feel fine?” Looking at them his eyes widen in shock. His wings hang limply at his sides dripping small pools of blood on the floor. Most of the grey feathers are burnt or have fallen off. The pearly white bones of his wings sticking out like broken twigs. As the adrenaline wears off his legs begin to tremble as waves of pain race up his spine. Starshine sets Airborne’s broken wings and starts to wrap them in bandages. Airborne starts to feel cold tears rushing down the side of his cheeks. Starshine nuzzles him saying, “After I am done wrapping your wings up let’s finish this once and for all.” He nods and replies, “Alright.” Rainbow Dash looks at the both of them saying, “We can’t all go get Deathhoof with this many injured. I will stay behind with Soarin and Fleetfoot to take care of their wounds.” She then looks at Misty Fly, Spitfire, and Fire Streak saying, “You three go with them to finish this once and for all.” Spitfire checks her weapon and replies, “Don’t worry Rainbow Dash, we will get this done. Afterwards drinks are on me. It’s time we had a real reunion party after all of this is over.” The other ponies check their weapons and reload them then Airborne leaves Rainbow Dash tending to Soarin and Fleetfoot.

Fanning out through the hallway clearing every room of Red Remnant ponies as they move further down the hall and turning the corner they come face to face with a large double door with a small brass plaque over it that reads, “Penthouse.” Airborne takes up position on one side of the door with Starshine standing behind him. Spitfire, Misty Fly, and Fire Streak take up position opposite of them. Airborne slowly pushes the door open with his hoof and rushes into the room with the other ponies following behind him.

They gaze around at the large foyer; most of what had once been crisp white paint with gold leaf had flaked off with age and cracked leaving small piles on the floor. Walking up the stairs they search the room. Looking into a bedroom at the dirty worn out bed, the sheets are and bedding are rags that hang limply over the side of the bed. Spitfire searches through the Penthouse and finds the door to the office locked. She whistles and Airborne comes trotting over saying, “What’s up?” Spitfire replies, “This door is locked and I bet Deathhoof is in here.” Airborne raise All Equestrian and shoots the lock off the door then bucks the door open. The door swings open revealing the dusty skyline of Coltpolis through the swirling debris filled wind. Deathhoof looks at them saying, “So, you finally found me Airborne. Now what? Do you plan to kill me?” Airborne says, “Well that would be the plan.” Deathhoof laughs rolling his eyes as he pulls out his gun firing at Airborne and Spitfire. Airborne ducks behind a couch while Spitfire takes cover behind an overturned filing cabinet.

Airborne hears Misty Fly, Fire Streak, and Starshine outside of the door and yells, “Don’t come in here!” Fire Streak peers into the room then quickly ducks saying to Misty, “This bastard has crazy accurate aim. If we go in there then we are dead.” Misty Fly says, “Then how will we get them out of there?” Fire Streak shrugs and says, “Provide them with all the cover fire we can so they can take him down.” Starshine says, “We have to get in there. I am not going to let Deathhoof kill Airborne.” Misty Fly looks at her and says, “I know how you feel but if we rush in there we will get both of ourselves killed and not be able to help anypony.” Starshine nods and starts to fire at Deathhoof’s direction trying to keep him pinned down.

Deathhoof flips over his desk saying, “Do you really think that by killing me Airborne that anypony will change? Do you think this world will accept the changes ponies like you, Fluttershy, and that bitch Littlepip are trying to bring to it?” Airborne replies, “I think this world deserves a second chance and if I can help bring lasting change to it like Littlepip did then I will fight to make sure the vision she and Fluttershy have for Equestria will last.” Deathhoof snorts and laughs loudly saying, “You really are deluded Airborne, do you know that? This world can never go back to what is was when friendship and love died with the Princesses during the War. This world is defined by the strong surviving and those who cannot die. This is the new law of Equestria, even if you are trying to change this world this truth will never change.” Spitfire replies, “I lived during the War and can remember what life was like before. Yeah things have changed and some have the ponies. Many of the faces I once remembered are now gone but I am not going to let what was lost be for nothing. That’s why ponies like you Deathhoof will never get it.”

Deathhoof continues to laugh, “I cannot believe this! I am getting told that this world is still worth fighting for by a pony that helped make it what it is now. Don’t think you can pull that pious shit with me Spitfire.” Spitfire fires at Deathhoof and says, “Come out you cowardly bastard so I can prove to you just how wrong you are.” Deathhoof pops out and quickly fires at Spitfire who falls on the floor and lies still. Airborne grinds his teeth and pulls out a grenade angrily pulling the pin he throws the grenade in Deathhoof’s direction.

Rushing over to Spitfire’s side he notices a large wound in her shoulder, he quickly covers her with his body as the grenade explodes shaking the floor beneath his hooves and his ears start to ring. Misty Fly and Fire Streak gallop into the room as Airborne pulls out a medkit from his utility barding. He places one of his forehoof’s onto Spitfire’s shoulder while he pulls out a package of sulfa powder pouring it onto the wound. Fire Streak takes a morphine syrette then injects it into Spitfire’s shoulder then helps Airborne tries to sit up Spitfire to place another gauze pad on the exit wound on her shoulder. Wrapping the wound up Airborne breathes a sigh of relief and looks at both Misty Fly and Starshine who point their battle saddles towards the cloud of dust and smoke where Deathhoof was. He says, “Is he dead?” Misty Fly shakes her head and says, “I have a feeling that it will take a lot more than a grenade to take him down.”

As the smoke and debris clears Airborne sees a stairwell that was hidden by a false wall has been exposed by the explosion. Starshine follows him saying, “Where are you going?” Airborne looks back at her and says, “I am not going to let him get away. We didn’t come this far and lose our friends just to let another evil pony continue to infect Equestria with their insanity.” Starshine replies, “Why do you always feel like you have to fight alone and do things your way Airborne? We are all in this together!” Airborne shuffles his hooves and says, “We already lost Baleout. I don’t want to lose you.” Starshine nuzzles him saying, “You won’t besides you already died once and that didn’t stop you so I doubt some crazy pony like Deathhoof will. Now let’s get this done together.” Airborne smiles and says, “Alright let’s go.” Airborne looks at Misty Fly and Fire Streak who are still tending to Spitfire’s unconscious form, Fire Streak notices his gaze and says, “Go finish this! Make sure all the sacrifice we have made today was worth it.” Airborne nods turning to trot up the stairs he sees a doorway leading to the roof and opens it.

Stepping out onto the roof he sees Deathhoof standing over a skylight holding a large rocket launcher with a large phoenix emblazoned on its side. Starshine says, “I have seen that kind of weapon before but only in books. That’s a Phoenix Type Magical Rocket Launcher. They were manufactured during the War but only towards the end of it, they are really rare and not many were produced.” Deathhoof says, “That is correct. I found this while searching through the ruins of Coltpolis a place that rewards the strong and further disproves Fluttershy’s vision for Equestria, a city built upon the deaths of those who died during the War will remain a reminder of the hypocrisy of her vision. A weapon like this fires a magical rocket that when it comes into contact with the skin is that it burns away the skin and reduces the body to ash as if you were standing under the flames on the Sun. I call her Red Blaze.” Deathhoof fires the rocket at Airborne who dodges it then Deathhoof fires at Starshine who also dodges. Airborne rushes at Deathhoof firing All Equestrian. The bullets from the high powered assault rifle slam into Deathhoof’s legs. Deathhoof kneels and continues to fire Red Blaze. Airborne knocks the weapon out of Deathhoof’s grasp and pounces onto him. He wraps his hooves around Deathhoof’s neck and starts to squeeze.

Deathhoof starts to panic and tries to get Airborne off of him. They both roll out onto the skylight as the fragile glass starts to crack beneath them. Starshine cries out, “Finish him Airborne!” Airborne starts to squeeze even harder around Deathhoof forcing his entire body weight around Deathhoof’s neck. Deathhoof smiles grimly and says, “So Airborne, you will kill me with your own hooves. You will only prove my point that ponies like you could never change Equestria.” Airborne looks at him and says, “No I won’t kill you” he notices the glass starting to crack even further then he says, “But how you die is up to you.” Airborne manages to flap his broken wings and flies off of Deathhoof as the glass skylight caves in beneath them. Deathhoof screams and attempts to grab onto a wire to stop himself from falling but the wire wraps around his neck and with a bone crushing snap his neck breaks and his limp body hangs from the ceiling. Airborne breathes heavily and winces as fresh waves of pain shoot up his back.

Starshine rushes to his side saying, “Are you okay?” he nods and says, “Yeah I am fine. I am just glad this is finally over. But I cannot help but feel at least some small part of me feels that Deathhoof is right. Can we ponies ever really restore things to the way they were before the War?” Starshine replies, “Maybe we can never restore things to the way they were before but I believe in Fluttershy’s vision for the future it seems like a good place to start and it has to be a lot better than things continuing the way they are now. Ponies like Littlepip and her friends fought to change Equestria; ponies like Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and the Wonderbolts are trying to undo the damage they have done so how can I not try to aid them. That’s something ponies like Deathhoof will never understand.” Airborne smiles and says, “Well then I will try my best to make sure Equestria can go back to the way it was before the War. I can’t let Baleout’s death and even Blackstar’s death mean nothing. So let’s do our best to make sure that happens.” Starshine smiles and kisses his cheek saying, “I will hold you to that so let’s go down and check on the others.” Before they leave the roof of the building Airborne grabs Red Blaze and says, “Never know when something like this could come in handy.” Both Starshine and Airborne leave the roof of Chaser Tower and go back down into the Penthouse Suite.

When they arrive back into the Penthouse they see that Spitfire has already woken up. Airborne rushes over to her and says, “How’s the shoulder?” Spitfire winces and says, “I have felt better but this scratch is nothing that won’t heal in a few days.” Spitfire notices the hanging corpse of Deathhoof and says, “I see you took care to him while I was unconscious. I am glad to see you are unhurt.” She then notices Red Blaze on his back and says, “Is that what I think it is?” Airborne replies, “It is. Deathhoof found it while searching through the ruins of Coltpolis. It seems this city has a lot of secrets lying buried in the rubble.” Spitfire limps over to Deathhoof’s corpse and stares at it. Airborne joins her and sees that Deathhoof’s eyes have rolled back into his head exposing the whites of his eyes while his tongue hangs out of his mouth. Airborne sees the cutie mark on Deathhoof’s flank and suddenly starts to feel bad. He says, “I know this sounds crazy but we can’t leave him here to rot like this.” From behind him Rainbow Dash says, “To hell we can’t. That bastard deserves to rot for all that he has done.”

Airborne sees Fleetfoot and Soarin trotting in behind her and he says, “I know what he has done but it wasn’t the body he is in that committed the crimes it was his mind. He stole Braeburn’s body for his own uses and placed his own demented brain inside of his body. So let’s remove Deathhoof’s brain from Braeburn’s body and give the body the dignified burial it deserves. Braeburn was a descent pony who didn’t deserve what happened to him and he regrets everything that happened during the War and I don’t want his spirit to linger here in the shell of the world he knew because I wasn’t able to honor his last request. So I am going to do what is right and honor Braeburn.” Rainbow Dash looks at her hooves and says, “Alright let’s do it.” Soarin shoots the wire around Braeburn’s neck and his body falls to the floor with a thud. Soarin hands Airborne his knife and Airborne takes it then starts to crave open Braeburn’s head to extract the sick brain of Deathhoof. After a few minutes he pulls out the gnarled buddle of nerves that is Deathhoof’s brain and hands it to Spitfire saying, “Dispose of this” she takes it saying, “With pleasure.” She opens a window and tosses the brain of Deathhoof into the ruined depths of Coltpolis.

Starshine sews the top of Braeburn’s head back onto his body then closes his eyes and mouth so it looks like Braeburn is sleeping. Fire Streak grabs the body and places it over his back saying, “Let’s get going. The stench of this place has lingered long enough in my nostrils.” Soarin nods in agreement and says, “Yeah, we came here to do what we needed to do now that he is dead let’s leave this place.” Airborne nods and leaves the Penthouse Suite followed by Rainbow Dash, Soarin, Starshine, Fleetfoot, Fire Streak, Misty Fly, and Spitfire. As he closes the door to the Penthouse he sees some shape standing by the window. Airborne cocks his ears and watches as the shape takes the form of bright red apple. But more of the shape becomes apart and eventually he sees the ghostly form of Braeburn who smiles his green eyes gleaming happily. Braeburn ghostly voice sounds like a whisper but Airborne can hear, “Thank you Airborne for everything you have done.” Just as Braeburn appears he disappears still smiling. Starshine appears behind him and manages to catch a glimpse of Braeburn’s ghost saying, “I think that was his way of saying thank you.” Airborne nods and closes the door behind him sealing the bad memories of Deathhoof within.

When they reach the bottom of Chaser Tower they see a large group of Pegasi and Griffins awaiting them. Hawkbeak says, “I am glad to see you made it.” She then sees the body of Braeburn and says, “Is that the bastard who caused all of this? You take his corpse for a trophy because I want a piece of his scalp to add to my collection.” Airborne replies, “You are wrong that we brought the body with us as a trophy. The body is that of Braeburn, a pony who was the cousin of Applejack during the War. The mind inside of it was Deathhoof who stole his body for his own. We are going to give it a proper burial away from this place.” Hawkbeak looks at him and shrugs saying, “I won’t understand ponies and your ways but if you think it is best I won’t go against your judgement Skysplinter. But I can see that you won’t be leaving here on your own so I will carry you back to New Cloudsdale.”

Airborne looks at his bandaged wings having forgotten his injuries Airborne looks at her shocked and asks, “Are you sure you won’t mind?” Hawkbeak shakes her saying, “Carrying you won’t be much besides it would be my honor to carry the pony that saved Equestria yet again.” Airborne climbs onto her back and finds that her fur is relatively soft compared to how she looks and he smiles then says, “Before we leave land outside of the city limits so we can bury Braeburn.” She nods and says, “It will be done Airborne.” She flaps her powerful wings and soars into the air followed by the remaining members of the Talons and Pegasi then the Wonderbolts, Rainbow Dash, and Starshine who flies beside Hawkbeak.

Airborne watches as the smoking skyline of Coltpolis disappears beneath the dusty radioactive skies. After a few minutes Hawkbeak lands on a hill overlooking the city of Coltpolis, Airborne slides off of her back then helps the Wonderbolts dig a hole in the hardened ground. One of the Talon’s gives up their blanket and Airborne thanks him with the Talon replying, “Anything for the Skysplinter.” Airborne helps to wrap Braeburn’s body in the blanket before the body is placed into the grave. Starshine pulls out a worn and faded cowboy hat saying, “I found this inside of Stable we found Braeburn’s brain in. I figured it belonged to him but I think he would want you to have it instead given everything you have done for him.”

Airborne takes the hat from her and feels the well-worn creases then places it on his head. Airborne then pulls off a patch from his old armored barding and places it inside of the blanket saying, “Thanks for trying to make this world better Braeburn. We won’t ever forget you.” Airborne watches as the grave is filled covering the remains of Braeburn. After the grave is filled Airborne climbs back onto Hawkbeak’s back and starts to fall asleep. Hawkbeak looks back at him and says, “Get some rest Skysplinter. I will make sure you are protected on our way to New Cloudsdale you can count on that.” Airborne nods sleepily then falls into a deep sleep forgetting the evils of Deathhoof and the sad legacy of Cloudsdale behind in the dusty swirling radioactive mists of the Equestrian Wasteland.

. When they arrive in News Cloudsdale, Airborne is taken into the medical wing of the Wonderbolt Academy where his wounds are treated. The Wonderbolts including Spitfire, Soarin, and Fleetfoot are treated as well. After a few days Airborne awakens with Starshine leaning over him smiling. Airborne sits up and says, “How long have I been here?” She replies, “You have been here for a few days. You got yourself pretty shot up.” Starshine runs her hoof through Airborne’s mane looking at the black and brown strands of hair. She then says, “You are always getting hurt wherever we go.” He nuzzles her hoof and says, “I know but like you said back in Coltpolis. I died once and I don’t intend to do so again before my time is up.”

He leans back on the pillow and sighs then watches as Starshine climbs into the bed next to him. She says, “So Airborne what are we going to do after you get out of here?” he shrugs and replies, “Oh I dunno first get my weapons cleaned then got to Rainbow Dash and Soarin’s marriage reception.” She says, “Speaking of that you ever think we will get married?” Airborne replies, “Definitely after all I intend to keep my promise to you before you whack me over the head and leave a scar I will have for the rest of my life.” She laughs and kisses him tenderly and says, “I am glad you finally decided to keep your promise Airborne. I was afraid I would have to remind you.” He smiles then goes back to sleep with Starshine at his side.

Author's Note:

Part Seven of Fallout Equestria: M.I.A. enjoy and don't forget to give it a thumbs up and leave a comment!!!

Fallout copyrighted to Bethesda Softworks

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic copyrighted to Hasbro Inc.

Fallout Equestria copyrighted to Kkat.

All other characters are copyrighted to me.