• Published 11th Apr 2013
  • 2,513 Views, 36 Comments

Fallout Equestria: M.I.A. - CivilWarPony



Two months have passed since Airborne found the greatest Pegasus in Equestria's history. Now he is one a mission from Rainbow Dash, to find out what happened to the original Wonderbolts?

  • ...
9
 36
 2,513

Part Four: A Calamitous Affair

Part Four: A Calamitous Affair

The following morning Airborne awoke to see Spitfire cooking breakfast with Soarin already chowing down on a plate of pancakes drenched in maple syrup. Airborne smile and laughs as he watches Soarin greedily eat the pancakes with maple syrup running down his cheeks. Soarin’s ears perk up and swivel in Airborne’s direction, he says, “I would like to see you go two centuries without having a decent breakfast.” Spitfire hands Airborne a hot plate of pancakes and say, “A soldier cannot get far on an empty stomach” Airborne thanks her and takes the plate quickly devouring the pancakes. Airborne after eating takes apart All Equestrian and cleans the weapon while Soarin stands over his shoulder telling him what cleaning products he should use to keep the gun in tip top condition. After cleaning his weapons, Airborne checks his battle-saddle and cleans the ghoul blood off his armor. Outside the barn, a dust storm had begun whipping itself into a fury as it approached the ruined farm. Sunrise’s Pipbuck began to beep loudly; Fire Streak looks at her and says, “What the heck is that noise?” she replies, “That storm is highly radioactive, my Pipbuck alerts me to when there are unsafe levels of radiation nearby. So I recommend that we leave soon otherwise, I don’t think I have enough Rad-away to safely cleanse everypony.” Soarin stretches his wings and says, “So, not only do you have to worry about ghouls and raiders but also radiation too” Airborne replies, “Welcome to the Wasteland.”

Flying ahead of the storm, the ponies make their way over the Tomb, passing over the endless reminders of the destruction that destroyed Equestria. Spitfire looks at the remains of the ancient battlefields and long ago ruins of villages with names forgotten to the past shaking her head saying, “This place use to be so beautiful before the War but now look at it. I wish the War had never happened.” Airborne looks at the ruins below saying, “It isn’t all bad down there, many of those who live in the wastes help each other out as best as they can and most of the time it is peaceful but we know that things could be better so we do what we can to help Equestria recover from the mistakes of the past that nopony can undo so dwelling on it isn’t going to help things Spitfire” Spitfire stops looking at the ruins below and replies, “Still it doesn’t make it any easier knowing we could have stopped this from happening.” Pulling on his filtration mask, Airborne says to Soarin, “When we get back to New Cloudsdale, you might want to purchase one of these things. They are really handy out here in the Wastelands.”

He watches as Soarin pulls out a tan piece of cloth with black checkerboard stitching out of his saddlebags and wraps it around his face replying, “No need this thing will keep out any nasty stuff floating around in the air out here” Airborne replies, “I guess it will.” As they continue to fly over the wastelands below, Airborne notices that the dust storm behind them is approaching rapidly, he says, “We better hurry! That storm system looks nasty!” Airborne flaps his wings harder and flies ahead of the group scouting out any place they might have to make an emergency landing in case of the storm. But before he can find a safe place to land, the storm over takes the group of ponies, Airborne’s eyes sting as the dust whips across his face.

Squinting through the dust and debris, a dark outline appears in front of him. Approaching the building, Airborne recognizes it as the old factory they had stayed in before on their way to Mareston. He yells up to his friends, “Down here, there is a place we can stay in and wait for the storm to blow over.” Starshine, Baleout and Sunrise land first followed by Soarin and Spitfire with Fleetfoot, Fire Streak and Misty Fly right behind them, trotting into the factory, Fire Streak and Fleetfoot enter first checking each room to make sure it’s safe. As they enter an upstairs office space two gunshots ring out and strike the doorframe above them splintering the ancient wood into a pale brown dust that lingers in the air like a mist. Taking cover behind the wall Fire Streak calls out, “Hold your fire! We mean you no harm!” looking at the floor Fire Streak notices drops of blood peering around the corner into the room he sees an overturned desk and a pony behind it aiming his battle-saddle at the doorway with two brown eyes intensely focused on his targets, the silver brim of the pony’s hat is pushed back on his head. Fire Streak can hear the ponies ragged breathing, from what he can tell this pony is wounded badly; two rust colored feathers lie on the floor next to the desk, the pony holds his wounded wing close to his body as he readies himself for the expected attack from the two Pegasi outside of the doorway.

Fire Streak says, “I can hear you breathing in there and I can see you are wounded let us help you, we mean you no harm.” The rust colored Pegasus replies, “Ayep, heard that one before, y’all just stay where you are ya’hear? Otherwise I will be forced to fill you full of holes!” Fleetfoot looks at Fire Streak saying, “This pony isn’t messing around let’s just kill him, we can’t afford to have some crazy pony running around in here while we sleep. I have some grenades in my saddlebags, I could toss one in and it would be over in a few seconds” Fire Streak shakes his head saying, “No that isn’t right besides I get the feeling this pony doesn’t want to hurt us otherwise he would have killed us by now, his aim is pretty dead on I have no doubt he would have blown my brains out when I stepped a hoof into that room instead he fired at the doorframe. Something doesn’t add up.” Fire Streak grabs the strap to his battle-saddle in his mouth and pulls on it, the heavy saddle rolls off his back landing on the floor with a loud thud. Fleetfoot eyes widen in surprise and she says, “What are you doing? Have you lost completely lost your mind Fire Streak?” he looks at her saying, “I am going in there to help that pony. I don’t think he will shoot me and if he does then you can kill him afterwards besides if I am dead I won’t have to live in this hellish world any longer.”

Fire Streak cautiously enters the room saying, “I mean you no harm. I am not armed so let me help you” the brown Pegasus replies, “Don’t cha come any closer, or I will blow you tuh pieces alright” Fire Streak stops half way between the doorway and the middle of the room saying, “My name is Fire Streak, what is your name?” The rust colored Pegasus’s ears perk forward and he slightly lowers the barrels of his battle-saddle saying, “Muh, name is Calamity.” Fire Streak smiles saying, “Nice to meet you Calamity, so you think I can come over to dress your wounds for you?” Calamity looks at Fire Streak and as he is about to reply he slumps to the floor unconscious. Fire Streak quickly calls over to Fleetfoot they carry Calamity’s unconscious body downstairs clean and dress his wounds before he further injures himself.

Airborne looks at Fire Streak saying, “Are you sure, this pony told you his name was Calamity?” Fire Streak shakes his head saying, “Yeah, that’s what he said to me, why? Who is he?” Airborne replies, “He is one of Littlepip’s best friends, he helped bring peace to Equestria, although I have no idea why he is out here in the first place. We cannot afford to let him die; otherwise I could never face Fluttershy again.” Misty Fly replies, “Well I don’t think you have to worry about that, as bad as his wounds are he will live.” Airborne breathes out a sigh of relief and sits next to Starshine leaning against her, she smiles at him saying, “Don’t worry we will take care of him, I am sure you will have a thousand questions for him when he wakes up.” After a few hours Calamity stirs, sitting up he looks around the room at the strange group of Pegasi. He notices a few of them are in uniforms he had seen in old propaganda posters from the Great War, while the other four are armed with a collection of both old and modern firearms.

One of the Pegasi in particular catches his attention, he is a young Pegasus with charcoal grey coat and blue eyes, his mane and tail are brown with black streaks, his cutie mark is a white parachute with a yellow star attached to it. In his travels since Littlepip entered the S.P.P., he had heard stories of a young Dashite who had risked everything to find Rainbow Dash and how this Pegasus named Airborne had defeated the Enclave’s renewed activity in Equestria, he even managed to survive the detonation of an experimental balefire bomb. Calamity smiles looking at his bandages saying, “Thanks for for uh patchin me up. You must be Airborne, I can't go anywhere without somepony talking about you.” Airborne scratches the back of his mane and blushes in embarrassment, then says, “I didn’t know that you had heard about me Calamity. So what are you doing out here anyways?” Calamity replies, “After you pony folk left New Cloudsdale, Rainbow Dash asked for me to meet with her. To be honest, I thought it was going to be some random pony that made themselves look like Rainbow Dash so when I opened the door my jaw just uh bout hit the floor. She told me to go after you since you didn’t arrive back when expected so she sent me to look for you but now that I have found you I can return to New Cloudsdale to tell everypony that you are alright in the meantime, I need y’all to move your feathers and get back to New Cloudsdale as soon as possible.”

Calamity gets up off the floor and winces a bit as he stretches his wings; Airborne looks at him saying, “Who did that to you?” Calamity replies, “Just some low down dirty Red Remnant ponies, they musta figured me for one of you and shot at me as I passed overhead. But I took care of them once they revealed their position, once I sight down on a target there is no escape” Calamity smiles and waves goodbye to Airborne and company then flaps his wings soaring high into the air disappears into the dust storm. As Sunrise and Starshine cook dinner, Airborne and Soarin practice shooting inside of the factories target range. Fire Streak and Misty Fly stand guard while Spitfire and Fleetfoot take stock of the supplies taken from Stable 200. With the storm finally blowing itself out, Airborne is told by Sunrise they can leave safely. Putting All Equestrian away on his back, Airborne trots out of the target range and down the main hall of the factory. The storm had blown in significant amounts of dust into the factory, the walls and floor coated with a fine powder that stirred when Airborne’s hooves trotted over it, causing it to swirl in the air.

Trotting outside of the factory, Airborne stretches his wings and says, “It’s a good day to fly, there isn’t a cloud anywhere in the sky and there doesn’t appear to be any bad weather on the horizon.” Soarin trots up next to him saying, “With no cloud cover we will be easier to spot, especially to anypony that wants to cause us harm” Starshine replies, “Well then we should hurry just as Calamity said and not linger around here any longer besides if we get attacked we can spot them just as easily as they can.” The group of ponies leaves the old factory behind as they soar into the sky and towards the direction of New Cloudsdale. As they approach New Cloudsdale, Soarin begins to fidget nervously. Both Spitfire and Airborne look at him with concern saying, “What’s wrong Soarin?” Soarin looks at them his green eyes darting around as he looks at the other ponies flying next to him saying, “It has been so long since I have seen Rainbow Dash. What if she doesn’t recognize me? Or doesn’t feel for me the same way she did before?” Airborne replies, “I wouldn’t worry about that Soarin, if she didn’t feel the same way about you why would she have bothered to give me the photograph of you and her before the War?” The clouds roll back and New Cloudsdale comes into view, the Wonderbolts look at the city in awe that something like this still exists within Equestria. Spitifire says, “It looks like Cloudsdale, but it doesn’t feel like Cloudsdale” Airborne replies, “We have done our best to give the Pegasi living here some sense of normalcy compared to the Wastelands below this place is paradise. We know we can never recover what was lost during the War but this is a good place to start to rebuild this shattered world one piece at a time.”

Airborne leads the Wonderbolts towards the New Academy named after them, as they approach he sees every cadet in neat ranks standing on the parade grounds. Each one with polished brass buttons and belt buckles, wearing their blue uniforms that make them look like an ocean in the sky. Landing amongst them, all of the cadets raise their right forehooves to their brows and salute as the Wonderbolts pass by them. At the far end of the ranks of ponies stands Rainbow Dash, her old armor polished brightly with the sunlight glinting off of it. Soarin gallops up to her and smiles saying, “It has been awhile huh Rainbow Dash?” Rainbow Dash nods and says, “It has been too long Soarin, you look good for being stuck in a freezer for two hundred years.” Soarin chuckles and replies, “Well, that’s one of the benefits of freezing yourself, you don’t gain any weight.” Rainbow Dash leans over and kisses Soarin on the cheek saying softly, “We will have time to discuss us later but I am glad to see you are still in one piece” Soarin blushes and replies, “And your still awesome after all this time” Rainbow Dash says, “Of course, what would you expect, awesome and Rainbow Dash go together rather well.” Airborne and his friends have their load of weapons removed from their saddle bags by several cadet ponies. Trotting up to Rainbow Dash, he says, “Well we are back and have brought you all the weapons and ammo we could carry from Stable 200.” Rainbow Dash thanks Airborne and trots over to Spitfire saying, “It has been awhile Commander, I hope we can count upon you for what is to come.” Spitfire salutes and replies, “You can count on us Rainbow Dash.”

Sitting inside of his home in New Cloudsdale, Airborne takes off his battle-saddle rolling his shoulders. Pulling out All Equestrian from his saddlebags, he places the weapon inside of gun locker and stores his battle-saddle away with it then puts both Gust and Thunder inside as well. Trotting into the kitchen he sees Starshine sitting at the table with a plate of daisy sandwiches. She looks at him saying, “About time you got home, where have you been?” Airborne sits down in the chair across from her saying, “I was meeting with Rainbow Dash in her office, finalizing the plans for the assault on Red Remnant’s headquarters in Coltpolis.” Starshine pushes her chair closer to his saying, “So, what’s the plan? Charge in through the front entrance with guns blazing?” Airborne sighs saying, “It’s going to be rough, from what Rainbow Dash told me the Red Remnants have fortified the entire city, so even when we attack we are going to lose a lot of ponies and I don’t know if I have the strength to get us through to the end safely.” Starshine nuzzles him and replies, “If there is anypony crazy enough to get us through to the end it is you Airborne after all you did survive when the Titan’s Hammer when it blew up.” Airborne gets up from his chair and trots away from her saying, “This is serious Starshine, this isn’t going to be like last time, these Red Remnant ponies aren’t pushovers like the Enclave was. They are going to kill a lot of ponies before we are done with them, if there is one thing I cannot stand its watching ponies die needlessly especially young ones like Baleout and Sunrise being torn to shreds.” Starshine trots to his side and says, “Well then we shall have to watch our backs and everypony else’s as well, we will get through this Airborne don’t you worry about it.” Airborne smiles and nuzzles her then trots out of the kitchen heading to bed.

The next morning Airborne heard a knock at his front door, trotting downstairs and pulling open the door to find both Soarin and Baleout standing there. Soarin replies, “Can we come in? I figured eating breakfast here was a lot better than eating in the Academy mess hall” Airborne blinks and yawns saying, “I guess, come on in.” Soarin trots in and says, “Nice place you got here, I definitely dig the old Wonderbolt poster, I had forgotten what those looked like after all these years.” Trotting into the kitchen Soarin sees Starshine cooking breakfast in a pink robe she looks at him and says, “What are you doing here?” as Airborne trots into the room she says, “So, I guess I am cooking breakfast for Soarin and Baleout” Airborne shrugs then starts to make himself some coffee. As Starshine puts down the first helping of pancakes, Soarin jabs a fork into the stack of steamy plate and transfers its contents to his own plate then slathers the hot cakes in maple syrup. As Starshine pulls out an apple pie out of the oven, Soarin’s green eyes widen at the crusty pie, drool dripping down the sides of his mouth. Starshine and Airborne both notice his fixated gaze at the apple pie; Soarin leans over and takes a big whiff of the pie saying, “Is this an apple pie?” Baleout, Airborne and Starshine all look at each other then at Soarin with Starshine saying, “I take it you like apple pie Soarin?” Soarin looks at them and replies, “Like? I love it!” Soarin pounces on the pie and smashes his head into the pie tin devouring the delicious pie, sending crusty bits of it all over the walls and onto Airborne, Baleout and Starshine who roll on the floor laughing. After breakfast, Soarin and Baleout walk around Airborne’s home while Starshine pulls out bits of apple pie out of her mane and tail upstairs.

Sitting in the living room of Airborne’s home, Soarin says, “Sorry about the mess in the kitchen Airborne, it has been forever since I have had a good apple pie.” Airborne leans back on the sofa saying, “Don’t worry about it, I am just glad someone appreciates Starshine’s cooking as much as I do” from upstairs Starshine yells, “I heard that Airborne!” Soarin chuckles and says, “So, Rainbow Dash told me you are related to Lightning Dust and Thunderlane is that true?” Airborne replies, “Yeah they were my great-grandparents, both of them died during the War. Did you know them?” Soarin shakes his head, “I think I met Lightning Dust once in Canterlot during the War, she was on leave from the front. She was eating at a restaurant in Canterlot with a charcoal grey Pegasus. I happened to bump into them as they left, unfortunately that was the only time I can recall meeting her, but I did hear stories of her actions on the battlefield, saving ponies lives even at the risk of her own so I am guessing she was pretty brave.” Airborne nods, “I guess she was, I wish I could have known her before she died, but I am not the only pony who lost someone during the War did you lose anypony Soarin?” Soarin looks at the old Wonderbolt poster saying, “I lost a lot of comrades during the War, my family was in Cloudsdale when the city was destroyed. It’s funny really after all this time I can barely remember their faces or the sound of their voices. Time seems to have erased them and the pain I felt after they died but somehow I feel they are still with me in some weird way.”

As Starshine comes downstairs about a dozen knocks are heard at the front door, opening it Fire Streak, Misty Fly, Fleetfoot and Spitfire tumble into the entryway. Looking at them she says, “What are you guys doing here?” Spitfire untangles herself from the pile of ponies and says, “We heard we can get a decent meal here” Starshine snorts saying, “And who told you that?” Fire Streak says, “Baleout told us you were an incredible cook and after both he and Soarin left the mess hall we tried the food there. Needlessly to say, Wonderbolt food hasn’t improved since we were gone. I think they even had some of our old rations stocked up in the freezer, so we decided we weren’t going to eat the nasty stuff and came here instead.” Starshine looks angrily over at Baleout who pins his ears back as he peers over the edge of the couch. Starshine shakes her mane and says, “Fine, I will cook us all lunch.” As Spitfire trots into the kitchen she notices the bits of apple pie stuck to the wall saying, “I see you have discovered Soarin’s apple pie thing” Airborne replies, “Yes, indeed. I didn’t know anypony who had such a love for apple pie.” As Soarin trots in Airborne and Spitfire look at him, he replies, “What? Apple pie is awesome!” After lunch, Soarin takes All Equestrian from Airborne’s gun locker and into the range inside of Airborne’s home saying, “Figured I would shoot the old girl one more time, besides it will give me a chance to improve my rusty skills.” Fire Streak and Fleetfoot watch a movie on Airborne’s private terminal screen in the living room while Misty Fly and Baleout sit reading through the books on the shelves in the small library in Airborne’s home.

Spitfire and Airborne go over some of the finer details of the plan to attack Coltpolis while Starshine listens to them talk. Airborne looks at a map of the layout of Coltpolis saying, “Most of the streets have been filled with rubble, making our way through them is going to be difficult. I imagine that the Red Remnant has also placed snipers into every building between the outskirts of the city and their headquarters so that will mean clearing every house before we can get to the city’s center.” Starshine gestures to the rough map of the city’s sewers saying, “Couldn’t we just use the sewers like we did in Mareston to bypass the snipers?” Spitfire replies, “We could but that would mean having to find our way through those endless passageways before we could get to the right building although we could place charges underneath some of the buildings to collapse them so the amount of snipers we face up at street level would be significantly reduced.” Airborne replies, “Well that would give the ponies on the ground some advantage while we take out any of the guards on the rooftops” Starshine replies, “Just how many ponies are inside of Coltpolis anyways?” Spitfire pulls out a sheet of paper from her saddlebag and places it on the countertop saying, “From what Intel we have gathered between Rainbow Dash’s and Fluttershy’s scout reports we are looking at a force between nine hundred to fifteen hundred ponies. It’s going to be a lot of bloodshed once we step a hoof inside of there, all these narrow streets and buildings provide ample places to hide so we will have to watch our flanks when we go in there” Airborne says, “Agreed but I am sure we will have enough ponies and griffins on our side to even things out.”

Airborne and company leave his home and head towards the Academy, when they arrive the place is in a flurry of activity. Various Pegasi preparing for battle by loading their battle-saddles or finding their respective squads at the center of all of the activity stands Rainbow Dash directing the ponies. Spitfire trots over to Rainbow Dash and discusses with her the revised plan of attack, while they wait for Rainbow Dash to give the signal to move out Airborne is approached by several recruits standing in brand new armor, he notices that most of them look unsure of how to use their battle-saddles. One of the recruits, a pony named Cloudbucker looks at Airborne saying, “Sir, what do you think our chances are of getting into Coltpolis in once piece?” Airborne replies, “Don’t worry, we will all make it out in one piece just watch your crosshairs and don’t take any chances.”

Rainbow Dash gets onto a podium and says, “Can I have everypony’s attention! Now look I know for most of you this will be your first time in combat and that you are plenty nervous about it, heck who wouldn’t be right? But I am telling you now that you have no reason to be nervous; we are all going to watch each other’s backs when we enter Coltpolis and I promise you that we will all come back alive. So let’s show Equestria what we Pegasi are made of, move out!” Rank after rank of Pegasi leap over the exit drop off down into the skies of Equestria, as Airborne prepares to leave he sees Soarin walk up to Rainbow Dash saying, “Before we go, its time I fulfilled my promise to you” kneeling before her he present her with a ring with her cutie mark carved into it saying, “I know this should have happened a long time ago and I regret never asking you to marry me sooner had I known it would be the end of the world but I figured if we both die down there that at least we could die together as husband and wife, so will you honor me Rainbow Dash by becoming my bride?” Rainbow Dash looks at him speechless then replies, “Of course Soarin, I was hoping you remembered your promise to me after all these years.” Soarin slips the ring onto Rainbow Dash’s armored barding and she kisses him saying, “Now then let’s make sure we both come back from this alive so we can have a really awesome party.” She kisses Soarin and they both leap off the edge together and into the great blue skies of Equestria below with Airborne following close behind them.

Arriving below in the dusty wastes of Equestria, Fluttershy watches the stream of brightly polished Pegasi make their way towards her compound. At the head of the many formations flies Rainbow Dash and Soarin, descending the many Pegasi ponies land inside of the courtyard. Soarin notices a large griffin standing at Fluttershy’s side with a massive multi-barreled chaingun strapped to her back. Trotting up to the griffin he says, “That’s a pretty impressive gun you got there, my name is Soarin and I am glad you are on our side” he holds out his hoof to the griffin who shakes it saying, “My name is Hawkbeak, you must be Soarin of the Wonderbolts that I have heard so much about. Hopefully having you and your team on our side will put the fear of Celestia into those Red Remnant foals.” Rainbow Dash trots over and hugs Fluttershy saying, “So, you going to partake in the action today Fluttershy?” Fluttershy shakes her head no saying, “As much as I want these Red Remnant bullies dealt with I cannot raise a gun to kill them but I will be with you in spirit instead.” Hawkbeak sees Airborne saying, “Good to see you Skysplinter, how are you?” Airborne raises an eyebrow saying, “Skysplinter? Where did that name come from?” Hawkbeak waves a claw at her men saying, “That’s the name they gave you after the explosion from that massive ship you destroyed split the sky, so I decided it was a fitting name and you are now known as Skysplinter to everypony we come across out here.”

Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, The Wonderbolts, Hawkbeak, Airborne and his friends discuss what the final plan of the assault on Coltpolis will be. Looking at a large map of the city laid out on a table inside of Fluttershy’s home Spitfire says, “Alright so we are all agreed on the final plan?” everyone nods with Rainbow Dash saying, “So, I will lead the team one from and approach the city from the west while Spitfire and the Wonderbolts approach from the south. Our job is to clear the rooftops and keep the Red Remnant snipers focused on us while Airborne and his team infiltrate the sewers to plant the charges, after they detonate Halfhoof will lead Fluttershy’s forces in a ground assault on the city while Hawkbeak and her Talons swarm the skies with reinforcements.” Airborne looks around the table for Halfhoof and spots the pony standing in the corner of the room, the pony’s right forehoof from the knee down is missing and has been replaced with a cybernetic leg. His body is covered in heavily scarred armor and he wields two shotguns painted with the words Fire and Death onto the barrels. Fluttershy looks at all of her friends saying, “Let’s hope the Goddessess are with us and keep us safe.” As the rest of the ponies leave the room Airborne stays looking at the map of Coltpolis trying to remember every street and building. Behind him Starshine stands, turning to see her he says, “What’s up?” she replies, “Airborne after all of this is over I was wondering if you…” she stops in mid- sentence and her face blushes deeply. He raises an eyebrow and says, “After all this is over Starshine I promise I will marry you if that is what you are asking.” She nods her head still blushing saying, “Thanks Airborne, now let’s get this done.” The both of them trot out together and join the other ponies for the assault on the ruins of Coltpolis.

Author's Note:

Part four of Fallout Equestria: M.I.A. Enjoy and don't forget to leave a comment and give a thumbs up!

Fallout copyrighted to Bethesda Softworks

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic copyrighted to Hasbro Inc.

Fallout Equestria and its characters are copyrighted to Kkat.

All other characters are copyrighted to me.