• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 13,651 Views, 1,104 Comments

Cubic Zirconia - arcum42



Diamond Tiara has always enjoyed picking on the Cutie Mark Crusaders. But one day, she finds she's gone too far, and everything for her comes tumbling down. But help may come from the most unexpected of places...

  • ...
15
 1,104
 13,651

Touch of Grey

Mrrow!

Something flicked by Diamond's flank. She cracked one eye open.

The black kitten was circling around her, his tail brushing against her. Rubbing up against her side, he looked up, with a distinct cat look. "It's breakfast time. You are neglecting your duties by not serving me now!" seemed heavily implied.

Diamond groaned and flopped on down from her cushion. Her back felt stiff, and she wasn't sure she'd ever get used to the lack of beds. Did she even have anything here she could feed to a cat?

Scootaloo was lounging around at the desk, drawing doodles on a pad of paper, making Diamond feel perversely cross.

"Shouldn't you be doing wing pushups or something?" she asked irritably, rubbing at the corners of her eyes and trying to will herself awake.

"I finished those ages ago," Scootaloo said casually, even not looking up. "Exactly what time do you think it is, anyway?"

Diamond glanced out the window. It was kind of light out, wasn't it?

"Um, morning time?" she said, weakly.

"Well, it is morning, kinda, if you consider morning to be sometime before noon. You sleep pretty soundly, you know."

Dumb place with no alarm clocks. And shouldn't one of the roosters have woken her up? Wasn't that what they were for, sort of alarm roosters, in a way?

"Well, why didn't you wake me up, then?"

"You looked like you needed sleep, and I figured you wouldn't be used to early mornings," Scootaloo said, then pointed to the kitten, who had resumed his meowing. "Shouldn't you do something about that?"

Like Scootaloo couldn't have?

"If it's that late, why didn't you feed him? Do we even have any food for Dazzle around?"

"It's not like he's my cat," Scootaloo said, abandoning her doodles and getting up. She bent down and looked quizzically at the cat. "Dazzle, huh? Doesn't look much like a Dazzle to me."

"Well, he is mine, and I'll call him what I like. What else would I call him?"

Scootaloo seemed to somehow take this question seriously.

"Being all black like that, he looks kinda spooky. Maybe you should call him that?"

"What, Spooky?"

Scootaloo rubbed her chin, mock-seriously.

"How 'bout Spook? Mister Spook? We could make him our science officer!"

Yes, because a cat was a perfect science officer.

"Isn't Sweetie Belle your science officer?" Diamond asked, finding herself drawn into the absurdity, despite her best inclinations.

"Well, we could always have two science officers. You know, for when things get extra sciency."

Diamond shook her head, not so much in denial as disbelief. Maybe she was best off dropping that line of conversation. "So, cat food…"

"Sweetie Belle left some here that Opal didn't like, didn't she?" Scootaloo looked around the treehouse briefly and shrugged. "It should be around here somewhere."

Of all the useless… Fortunately, the clubhouse wasn't exactly big, and it wasn't like they'd actually been put away or anything. Diamond quickly turned up a stack of cans, and some said things like "Feline Delight" on them, so she was pretty sure they were the right ones.

Of course, opening the cans was an entirely different problem. She turned back to Scootaloo.

"Do we have a can opener?" She really hoped the answer was yes. Why couldn't this have had pull off lids? No wonder Rarity's cat had rejected it.

"Do you know how much easier it is to get ahold of food that's stored away in cans? Of course I do." Scootaloo opened the desk drawer, revealing several tools, pencils, and assorted things, including a can opener, which she grabbed.

Diamond took the can opener. Now how did you work this thing again?

Holding it rather clumsily, she struggled with the can opener, and eventually managed to get the lid cut open after a few tries. Nearly cutting herself fishing the lid out afterwards, she set the can down, and Dazzle ran over. He began scarfing down cat food as if he hadn't eaten for ages, and all things considered, that may very well have been the case.

"Well, that's all taken care of," Scootaloo said, acting for all the world as if she'd fed Dazzle herself. "Now that you're up, I suppose I'd really better get going."

"Where to?" Diamond asked, and a thought crossed her mind. "Are we going crusading? Does Apple Bloom need my help with the wheelchair again?"

Scootaloo shook her head.

"Sweetie Belle stopped by here earlier, while you were still asleep. She's stuck going on a shopping trip most of the day with her parents. Not only that, she went by Sweet Apple Acres first, and Apple Bloom isn't able to go anywhere today. Big Mac decided to take her wheelchair to pieces today, looking for anything else that might be wrong with it."

That actually sounded like a good idea, and Diamond wondered why it hadn't been done before Apple Bloom came home.

"So how is Apple Bloom getting around, then?"

"She isn't, mostly. Bloom's pretty much stuck sitting in a chair, lying in bed, or getting a ride on somepony's back, I think. I'm sure it'll be fixed up by tomorrow, though, and we'll all get together at Sweet Apple Acres before school to pick her up."

And she'd be in charge of pushing it then, naturally. At least she didn't have to worry about it today, which was a relief. She wasn't really sure how much walking that one injured hoof of hers could take.

Reminded of it, she unwrapped the bandages around her hoof and squinted. Did it look better or worse? Her hoof was a little pale, but bandages tended to do that, and it wasn't aching as much as it had been.

Seeing what she was doing, Scootaloo grabbed a bottle of water, a towel, and some more bandages, and passed them over. Diamond cleaned off her hoof as best she could with them and rebandaged it, though it didn't look nearly as neat afterwards and had an extra loop of bandages hanging loosely from it.

"So where are we going, then?" Diamond asked.

"Now that I've finished this and you're up, I still have a few jobs I need to take care of, and to see if the wagon's done. I'd better run."

"All right. Just let me get ready to take off." Diamond glanced around, looking for a comb.

"These are my jobs, actually, and they aren't really expecting anyone else there," Scootaloo said, looking back as she walked toward the door. "I'm sure you've got a few places you'd like to go, or you can just hang out here. I'll catch up with you later, and we'll get dinner."

"What?" Diamond said, looking towards her as Scootaloo walked out. "Fine! I didn't really want to come along anyways!"

She sat down sullenly at the desk, and propped up her head with her forelegs. "Stupid."

She didn't need Scootaloo. She could find other things to do. She had lots of things she normally did with her weekend. Lots and lots and lots of them.

So why couldn't she think of any?

How about going out to the theatre? Watching a movie would be fun. She'd always had fun there in the past. Silvy'd bring over the movie listings, and they'd talk over what was playing, see what was on where, and have a bunch of fun talking about it afterwards and making fun of all the really lame parts.

Except… well, she didn't have Silvy, did she? She didn't know what was playing, and wouldn't have anypony to talk to about it if she did see something.

She could go to Sugarcube Corner, she supposed. She had been working through all the flavors of milkshakes there in order… with Silvy. No, that wouldn't do. Anyways, Pinkie always acted all weird over there now. Well, weirder than usual.

Hadn't she been planning on going to the modern art gallery?

Come to think of it, that'd been Silvy's idea, too. She'd wanted to check out a metalworking exhibit there. Not many ponies actually knew Silvy was good at that stuff. She'd mostly kept it to herself, since even though it was family tradition, it wasn't really one she'd been expected to follow.

Diamond mostly knew about it because they were best friends, or had been, anyways. They always shared everything together… but not any more.

Well, she could do things by herself. Maybe she should just head out now, and decide what to do later.

Right. That was probably the best idea. She didn't need to have plans. She could just go out and do things, all by herself. She didn't need anypony else.

Moving through the clubhouse with new determination, she dusted off her saddlebags and put them on, then grabbed her comb. Well, it was technically Sweetie Belle's comb, but minor details like that weren't going to bother her.

She ran it through her mane a few times, wincing as the comb hit a tangle, and then she went on down the ramp out of the clubhouse. Diamond may not have been totally sure where she was going, but from here, it was mainly towards the town, towards the forest, or towards Sweet Apple Acres anyways.

Still, she ought to pick somewhere to go. Maybe some of her previous ideas weren't that bad, even if she didn't have Silver Spoon there with her. It wasn't what she was used to, but she could still try.

Of course, others might think this was easy. You just had to pick something and do it, right?

Well, they were used to it. She'd never really had to do something as low-class as 'making her own entertainment'. Others would do that for her. Either Silvy would be there with ideas, or she could just tell Grey she was bored, and he'd provide the entertainment, or be the entertainment.

Even if that failed, she'd had a stash of romance novels tucked away in her room she could go through, and some of those funny comics Silver Spoon had lent her that were imported from someplace exotic and translated.

There had always been Cutie Mark Crusader teasing, too, which was hours of entertainment in itself.

Then sometimes Daddy'd come to her bedroom and try to explain to her how business worked. She still remembered some of that, even if the numbers always lost her. Silvy was better at numbers then her anyway, so she'd always kind of figured she'd get her to do that side of things for her, when it was time for her to run things.

Before Mommy had died, she'd had family outings sometimes, too. After Daddy'd remarried, they'd tried to start them up again, but they'd always been awkward things, and she didn't really know or like Spoiled that much anyways.

She supposed Daddy hadn't really known Spoiled that well, either, as he'd been expecting her to come back from the vacation she went on, and hadn't realised she'd taken a bunch of his money with her. Supposedly they were going to try and get back together, but Diamond had her doubts.

Spoiled had seemed to know an awful lot about how the world worked, but some of those things were the kind of things that were all proving to be wrong now, anyways.

The trouble was that her world had always had a certain order to it, everything in its place. Things happened in a certain way, and there never were any surprises, at least, not unpleasant ones. She'd been used to it and had her routine and it had always worked before. Now everything was all jumbled and scattered, and she didn't really know what to do without it.

Of course, she'd long lost track of where she was going here and now, too. Diamond hastily looked around to try and get an idea of where she'd reached while lost in thought.

As it turned out, she was most of the way in town by this point. In fact, she was pretty close to a movie theatre, which had been one of her ideas earlier, hadn't it? She could watch a movie by herself. It's not like she really needed somepony else for that, just eyeballs.

So what was playing? There were plenty of ponies in line, so it must be something good.

She walked over to take a look at the movie listings, but up close, those lines sure looked really long. This was going to take forever to get through. It might even be sold out by the time she got up there. Would standing in line be worth it? She didn't have much money anyways.

Diamond was still trying to make up her mind when three ponies near the back of the line started making a ruckus. Without even stopping to say so much as "excuse me", they were boldly pushing their way through the lines, as if the rest of the crowd didn't matter, making snide comments the whole way.

Really boldly, given their attire, actually. Diamond wasn't sure whether to be appalled or to applaud. They must have been some sort of musicians, given that thing that looked like a cross between a guitar and a piano slung on one of their backs. She wasn't totally sure what type of musicians wore trashy zebra-striped clothes and face paint, though.

One with a yellowish-green mane shoved right past a mare and filly, sending the filly tumbling to the ground.

"Outta my way!" she bellowed, not even slowing or looking behind her as the filly started to cry. "Coming, Roxy?"

One of her companions, this one with a white mane, hurried right past the whole ugly scene to the other's side. "Right with you!"

She glanced back. "Coming, Stormer?"

The blue-maned pegasus she was addressing did pause for a moment, and look over at the filly. Then she seemed to give a little shrug and joined her companions, and they went straight in the theatre, ignoring the protests of everyone behind them.

Diamond blinked. Now what had all that been about?

The excitement was obviously over, but Diamond couldn't help thinking about what she'd seen.

On the one hoof, they clearly saw what they wanted and took it. Diamond could appreciate that. It didn't really matter what happened to anypony you ran over on your way, or it wasn't supposed to.

It didn't really seem the same when somepony else was doing it, though, or doing it for something that wasn't really that important.

One of them had seemed to realise it was wrong, too, but she'd just gone in with the rest of them. She wasn't sure if it was better that they knew it was wrong, or worse that they kept with it.

She probably shouldn't be thinking so much about it. It'd been so much easier when she hadn't had to think about things. She'd had other ponies that did that for her.

But with so much time now, what else was she supposed to do?

Her stomach rumbled. Well, there was always lunch. She hadn't been paying much attention, but she hadn't actually eaten anything yet today. Were there still snacks from yesterday back at the clubhouse?

There'd be apples, anyways. There were always apples. Or she could buy lunch somewhere. But then, she rather suspected she'd be buying dinner, and she really needed to make her money last. She could go to Sugarcube Corner and wheedle some food from Pinkie, but she'd really rather avoid her for the moment.

She shrugged. Well, apples and snacks it'd have to be. Diamond turned around and headed right back to where she'd started, as if the very act of deciding had drained all the energy out of her.

And it had, really. She wasn't really made for not having a schedule or just doing whatever came to mind and making decisions. Even getting up may have been a bad idea. There was a lot to be said for sleeping.

Fortunately, as it turned out, there were a few snacks and things left over in the clubhouse when she got back, or at least a few apples and sandwiches. She gobbled them down in a way that would have reminded anyone watching of Dazzle earlier.

Now to just wait for Scootaloo, get some dinner, a bath, and this day could end. And tomorrow...

Oh, right, tomorrow was school.

"Bother."

Maybe she should go back to sleep right now and not think about it. But there were some things she did have to do. Pulling out a piece of paper, she started writing in her best approximation of daddy's writing.

Dear Miss Cheerilee,

I'm afraid an emergency came up and my daughter had to leave in the middle of the school day, and was unable to attend school for the rest of the week. I'm sure you'll excuse her absence. I was just telling Miss Sharp what a wonderful teacher you've always been in a recent board meeting.

Yours truly, Filthy Rich

That'd probably work, she thought. It had flattery mixed with a veiled threat of sorts. She didn't know much about Miss Sharp, not even her full name, but she knew she was important on the school board and that daddy knew her, which was enough.

It should get her out of the days she already missed, hopefully. She'd written fake notes before without problems, so she knew that she must be close on the handwriting, or that Miss Cheerilee didn't care, which was always possible.

There was another note she had to write, though, which might be harder, because she probably needed to actually be honest on it. Maybe. Not being honest was easier. Maybe she could write it as if she was lying about it?

Nah, a teacher was one thing, but this was Twist she had to deal with. She might talk with a stupid annoying lisp and be terribly irritatingly cheerful, but she was sharp. All ponies with glasses were smart. She thought that was probably a rule somewhere. Maybe there was a conspiracy of glasses-wearing ponies that secretly ran the world or something.

Of course, Silvy wore glasses, too, so she'd already had that advantage in the past, even if she didn't wear them herself. Now she didn't have anypony to think for her.

Twist had been on her side, though, before she blew it, and she needed Twist on her side again, because that was her only way to get back with Silvy. The two of them seemed to be friends now, or at least glasses buddies, and she needed that.

The real question was what she could write to get back on Twist's good side. She needed Twist so she could pass messages to and from Silvy. But she'd yelled a bunch of stuff at her about stealing Silvy from her, which was actually rather silly, thinking about it.

There really wasn't any way Twist could steal her best friend from her. But it had been one lousy day.

Dear Twist,

You do know I didn't really mean all that stuff I said about you, right? I really, really need your help with Silvy!

Diamond

Diamond crumpled up the paper and tossed it in the bin. Pathetic.

Dear Twist,

I shouldn't have yelled at you. I need-

That one hit the edge of the bin and bounced off.

Dear Twist-

Tossed. Why couldn't she do this?

Dear Twist,

I'm sorry. Please forgive me?

Diamond

That was still pretty pathetic, wasn't it?

A voice came from behind her. "Whatcha doing?"

Startled, Diamond tucked the note quickly in her bag and turned to see Scootaloo coming in.

"You're done with all those big important jobs you had to do?" Diamond asked, still a little miffed at being left behind.

"They weren't that important, other than my getting paid for 'em, but that's pretty important to me, at least. Ready to get cleaned up and grab some food?"

Well, she might as well get a proper meal. Diamond sighed.

"Sure. Let's go."


Greywithers ran one hoof along a shelf of the bookcase. It came back covered with dust, just as expected. It was hardly surprising. The mansion was large, and it would attract dust in a quite short period of time. Still, by rights it should be attended to.

Of course, he still was on alert, and should stay ready to be called on. A true gentleman's gentleman would anticipate his master's call and be there at but a moment's notice. And he did know Mr. Rich's habits well, as he ought to from many years of service, and by rights he would have been called a good half an hour ago. But then, Mr. Rich's requests and moods had been rather more difficult to anticipate as of late.

Naturally, dusting the manor shouldn't have fallen under his purview, and wouldn't have, under normal circumstances. He was nothing if not flexible, though, and he did seem to have a spare moment.

Greywithers carefully picked up a feather duster left by one of the maids, and started cleaning the offending shelf, attempting not to sneeze as the dust hit his muzzle.

"Greywithers?"

Without a moment's pause, he was immediately in front of his employer in the study, bookcases left behind.

"Yes, sir?" He said, as best he could manage with a duster in his mouth and a dust-covered muzzle.

Mr. Rich looked at him with a skeptical gaze.

"Grey, what on earth are you doing with that feather duster in your mouth?" Mr. Rich said. "It makes you look ridiculous."

Greywithers lay down the duster with a sigh. "Dusting, sir."

"Dusting?" He tutted. "No, no, that won't do. You are a butler. You buttle. Dusting is the maid's job, not yours. Who is supposed to be taking care of it today?Lilac?"

Mr. Rich paced back and forth. "You never can seem to get good help these days. I should have a talk with her, I really should. What does she think we pay her for?"

Grey coughed. "We don't, sir."

Mr. Rich raised an eyebrow. "Don't we?"

"No, sir. You fired her about a month and a half ago, in fact," Greywithers reminded him, not for the first time.

"Did I?" He said, sounding fascinated by the thought. "Well, then, shouldn't Cinnamon be doing it? It's not like we only have one maid."

"She elected to seek work elsewhere, sir," Grey replied. "She seemed rather upset at the prospect of having to do the work of two ponies, and that you weren't looking for a replacement."

"So we don't have any maids?"

"No, sir." It was going to be one of those nights. Grey could already feel the beginnings of a headache.

"Well, why haven't we? Do I have to do everything around here myself?"

There were a number of responses that ran through Grey's mind to this line of inquiry, but he suppressed them with practiced ease.

"You do have to authorize the expense of hiring more help and approve of the replacements, and hitherto you have not been inclined to do so when we've discussed the matter. If you wish to authorize it, I'll be glad to arrange to hire replacements for all the unfilled positions myself." This would, of course, include rather more than just two maids, but there was no need to bother his employer with the details.

"Yes, capital idea. I'm sure we can go through the details and discuss that at a later time. I would want to approve any new personnel personally, of course."

"Of course." Naturally, said meeting would never happen, or Mr. Rich wouldn't actually find any of the replacements suitable, to judge from his past experience. He could think of several reasons his employer wouldn't want anyone new in the household, naturally.

A minute went by without further comment.

"In any case, you called, sir?" Greywithers ventured.

Nothing.

Looking over at his employer, Grey noticed him staring into space in an odd, abstracted way that he was, unfortunately, all too familiar with lately.

"Sir?"

A few minutes went by before Greywithers was able to get his employer's attention again.

"Yes, what is it, Greywithers?" Mr. Rich finally snapped, irritably, looking back in his direction.

"You called me, sir?"

Mr. Rich looked around, slightly unfocused. "I did, didn't I? Everything taken care of for the day, Grey? Any new business I need to take care of? Diamond settled down in bed?"

And here we go again.

"I'm afraid not, sir."

"Then shouldn't you be getting her to bed, then?"

"I'm afraid I don't know where she is at the moment, sir. Would you like me to go find her and bring her back home?"

Mr. Rich shook his head and seemed to come into better focus. "No, that's right, Diamond's gone now."

"You know my feelings on that, sir."

"And I've made my decision perfectly clear. End of discussion. Was there any other business I needed to attend to?"

Greywithers’ headache was starting to have baby headaches.

"There was a letter from Penn-, ah, from your cousin. She is willing to take her place as heir to the Rich family, but was inquiring as to why she should suddenly be your heir after not hearing from you for years. She seemed, in fact, to be highly interested to know if anything has become of her niece."

"I do believe we can safely ignore that, Greywithers. She'll undoubtedly forget about it given a few weeks."

Grey had to wonder if Mr. Rich even remembered his cousin, at this point.

"I suppose it is possible, sir."

"Now, was there anything else?"

It would be easiest to say there wasn't and escape while he could, but he did have a certain duty.

"You're getting worse, sir."

"Oh?"

"We have talked about this before, sir."

"And I've already told you my feelings. I don't need any help, and certainly not by those quacks that call themselves doctors. Frauds, more like. They'll take your money, but can they do anything for you you can't do yourself? Hardly."

"You do need help. I'm sure we can find a specialist who will have you feeling right as rain."

"I said no, and that is final. They'll take it from me. They'll find a way to take my business from me!"

They may have good reason.

"Surely not, sir."

"Oh, just go away. You're dismissed until morning, Greywithers. And all talk of all of this and of Diamond stays here, understand?"

At this point, discretion was the better part of valor.

"As you wish, sir."

Grey hastily took his leave, and retired to his own quarters, shutting the door firmly behind him and bolting it. He had never needed it in the past, but the worse things got, the more he really could use a nightcap to settle things down. A brown bottle emerged from a cupboard, as did a glass.

What he really felt like more than a drink at this point, though, was to have a bit of a talk, but none of the ponies he wanted to talk to were available. He poured himself a glass and downed the contents.

Opening up a desk drawer, he took out two pictures and propped them up. Neither could stay up while his employer was around, of course. Feeling generous, he poured them both drinks as well.

He turned to one of the pictures, an old sepia one he'd had in his possession for a long time. "Ah, Stinking, who'd have thought we'd come to this? Remember when we met, me not a bit to my name? You took me in and I swore I'd serve you, your heirs, and your family to the end of my days. Never occurred to me I'd ever not be able to do all three of those things. You'd be ashamed."

"And you," he said, turning to the other picture, which depicted a fiery redhead. "You'd belt me around the ears! Seems to me that Filthy has totally forgotten about you, to think ignoring your letter would do any good. Sooner or later, you'll be around to find out what has happened for yourself, I'm sure, and Filthy won't hear the end of it!"

Grey gulped down another glass. "I don't know where Diamond is, I'm afraid, Penny. She wasn't at school, at least she wasn’t when I had an opportunity to check, and she isn't staying at her friend’s, either. I'm sure I will catch up with her eventually, though. If I know her, she'll be coming to me in a couple of days, in fact. I just hope she'll listen to my advice when she does."

Assuming nothing had happened to her. Assuming she was all right. Assuming she'd act the way he thought she would. He poured himself another glass, and lay down restlessly, thoughts refusing to settle down.

Author's Note:

Well, this took longer than I expected. Sorry about the huge wait. To a large extent, words weren't flowing, and other hobbies were getting in the way. I'm making no promises on time between chapters at this point, but I'm still planning on finishing this.

Roxy, Stormer, and Pizzazz are all courtesy of a different Hasbro cartoon, though not ponies normally.

Thanks to Elric of Melnipony for prereading. Hopefully things'll ease up for Luminary at work...