• Published 6th Feb 2012
  • 6,830 Views, 346 Comments

Near Death Experience - Hadles



Can Pinwheel the Earth pony bargain with Death to get her life back?

  • ...
9
 346
 6,830

Chapter 22

“Hello, Rarity?” The little silver bell above the Carousel Boutique door chimed. Pinwheel poked her head in, a paper bag gripped in her teeth. “Rarity?”

Rarity circled a dress form toward the back of the shop, a pincushion levitating by her head. Hearing the doorbell, she glanced over her shoulder. “Oh, hello there, Pinwheel!” Rarity smiled. Setting her pincushion aside, she stepped off the dais, “Come in, darling, come in! What can I help you with?”

Pinwheel pushed the door open with her shoulder. She set the bag down on the floor in front of Rarity. “Hi, Rarity. I don’t mean to bother you if you’re busy.” Pinwheel gave a small smile, “I just need you to do some repairs, if you could.”

“Why, of course, dear. Just tell me what you need repaired.” Rarity replied. Pinwheel turned and gestured to the paper bag. Magically, Rarity lifted the bag and dumped its contents out on her table. Pinwheel’s gala dress tumbled out, the skirt still in tatters. Spreading the skirt out, Rarity studied the fabric. She examined the blue chiffon petals one by one, “Hm. Well, I’ll have to replace pieces of the skirt, but that shouldn’t be too hard. An easy enough repair.”

“That’s good. I was terrified it was ruined.” Pinwheel’s smile widened.

“Oh no, dear. It’s far from ruined.” Levitating the dress in the air, Rarity draped it over the side of a nearby mannequin, “The gala did a number on all my friends’ dresses, actually. You should have seen Fluttershy’s!” Rarity let out a gentle, ladylike laugh. Her horn glowed and her pincushion levitated in from across the room. With her pins, she began marking the petals she’d have to replace.

Pinwheel watched her. “So, how much?”

Rarity frowned at Pinwheel. “Pinwheel, do you mind if I ask you a question? I don’t mean to be rude, of course.”

Pinwheel blinked. “I don’t mind. Ask away.”

Setting her pincushion down, Rarity turned to face Pinwheel. “Well, to be completely honest, you aren’t looking so well.” Rarity lifted one of her mirrors off the wall, floating it over to Pinwheel. Pinwheel peered at her reflection. Her reflection stared back with saggy eyes and drooping ears. Rarity lowered the mirror, “You see what I’m talking about, don’t you? Are you sick, dear?”

Pinwheel shook her head. “No. I just haven’t been sleeping well, is all.” Pinwheel tried to smile. Rarity frowned.

“This is about Pale Hoof, isn’t it?” Rarity set the mirror aside and stepped closer to Pinwheel, placing a hoof on her shoulder, “Is this your first break up, Pinwheel?”

Pinwheel’s cheeks flared. “No, no…I mean, yes, but it isn’t like that.” She insisted. Pinwheel still missed Pale Hoof – that didn’t need explaining. She missed waking up to find him waiting for her. She missed their dates and long evening chats. She even missed the simple things, like running errands with him. But even so, she wasn’t losing sleep over him. No, it was the grey stallion – her new stalker. No matter where she went, she could always just spot him out of the corner of her eye. He followed her more closely than her own shadow.

Rarity shook her head. “Tsk, Pinwheel. I know heartache when I see it.” She answered, “You need to get over him. You said yourself it wasn’t going to work.”

Pinwheel grimaced. “You sound like Dizzy.”

“Oh, don’t be stubborn. Here, I have a proposition for you.” Rarity looked toward Pinwheel’s gala dress, “I’ll repair your dress free of charge if you let me set you up on a date.”

Pinwheel frowned. “Geez, Rarity. You’ve done so much for me already. I’d rather just pay you this time.”

Rarity puffed out her chest. “Nonsense. Generosity is my element, after all.” She smiled at Pinwheel, “Just one little date. I simply cannot stand seeing one of my friends looking so sad.”

Pinwheel looked at the dress, then back at Rarity. “Well, I’m not the type of pony to look a gift horse in the mouth.”

“Excellent! It’s just one tiny date, after all. It’s not like you have to marry him!” Rarity beamed. She levitated a sofa from the corner of the room. Hopping up on the sofa, she patted the cushion next to her, “Oh, you simply must tell me what kind of stallion you like.”

Climbing up on the sofa, Pinwheel settled in next to Rarity. “I don’t have many preferences, I guess.” She muttered, twiddling her front hooves, “Someone who isn’t too obnoxious. It’s all right if he isn’t talkative. But he can’t be afraid to speak his mind.”

Rarity nodded. “Good qualities in a stallion.” Her horn glowed again and a black photo album floated in from the back of the room. The album settled down beside Pinwheel. Rarity flipped open the front cover. Inside were glossy photos of stallions, strutting their stuff in the latest fashions. Pinwheel peered at the pictures, turning the pages with her hoof. Rarity beamed, “Those are some photos from my fashion shoots with stallions. Point out the ones you like best, will you? That will give me a good idea of what you like.”

Pinwheel frowned as she flipped through the pages. “I don’t know. I don’t want a model. I don’t care about looks that much.” She began, “I don’t want someone suave like a model. I’d rather have someone that can make me smile.”

“Of course, of course.” Rarity nodded, peering over Pinwheel’s shoulder at the glossy photographs, “Even so, it’s important to have a good looking date, right? Just tell me what you find attractive. Fluffy coats, unshorn fetlocks…”

“Maybe somepony with lots of bone structure? You know, in the face? Tall, too.” Pinwheel began. Rarity nodded approvingly, “And fetlocks. I like fetlocks. And a dark coat. But not too dark. “

“Somepony quiet and sweet with a dark coat and lots of bone structure. Got it.” Rarity replied. Horn glowing, she slipped the photo book out from underneath Pinwheel. Rifling through the pages, she paused on a full page photo of a stallion with a rich dark blue coat, posing in pinstripe vest, “Something like him, perhaps?”

Pinwheel frowned. “Maybe, but with less…skin on his face?” Glancing up, Pinwheel found Rarity staring at her.

“’Less skin’?” Rarity repeated. Pinwheel blushed deeply.

Snapping the book shut, Rarity sighed. “Tall and dark with lots of ‘bone’ structure. Now who does that remind me of?” The unicorn rolled her eyes. Pinwheel frowned, staring hard down at her hooves.

“I’m sorry.”

Rarity gave her a gentle pat on the back. “Now, now. It’s all right. You’re still trying to get over him. I understand.” With a ladylike ‘oof’, Rarity slid off the sofa, “Lucky for you, I have just the stallion in mind to help you. He’s an old friend of mine – supplies all the jewelry for my ensembles.”

Pinwheel tilted her head. “Really now?”

“Really. He’s an older stallion. I figured you liked them, since you were dating a dark god from times immemorial and all.” Setting the photo album down, Rarity opened one of her chests and began digging, “Ah! Here’s his card.” Popping back out of the chest, she levitated the card over to Pinwheel. There, in fancy silver script, was the name of a shop. ‘Karat’s Fine Jewelry. 420 Horse Tack Avenue. Open from 6 AM to 8 PM.’ The text shimmered in the light, “Mr. Karat and I have been good friends since I first started this business. He’s the perfect gentlecolt!”

Pinwheel took the card. “So, should I call on him or…?”

Rarity held up a hoof. “I’ll arrange it for you. You’ll just love him, trust me.”


A few days passed.

Pinwheel sat in the front room of Rarity’s boutique, poised on the edge of the display dais. Rarity trotted back and forth across the floor, carrying rolls of fabric and pins. In the corner, she’d set Pinwheel’s dress up on a mannequin. With a few snips of her scissors, Rarity cut off the damaged petals on the skirt and began cutting new petals to replace them. Pinwheel watched in silence, nervously rubbing her front hooves together.

A loud knock broke the relative quiet. Rarity let out a shrill gasp of delight. “Oh, he’s here!” She turned, dropping her fabric and pins, and made a beeline for the door. Undoing the locks, she pulled it open. Pinwheel lifted her head. In stepped a stallion she’d seen occasionally on the streets of Ponyville. Rarity hadn’t lied when she said he was older – his mane was a bluish white that seemed to shimmer in the boutique lights. He kept it slicked back away from his face; it tumbled down the back of his neck in uneven waves. A small saddlebag hung around his shoulder. The stallion nodded politely to Rarity. His coat, a pale blue-grey, reminded Pinwheel a little of Pale Hoof. A little. Rarity gestured toward Pinwheel, “Good evening, Mr. Karat. I’d like you to meet your date for this evening.”

Pinwheel slid off the side of the dais. Mr. Karat approached her, smiling gently. He had startling gold colored eyes – appropriate for a jeweler, Pinwheel thought. He wore a finely tailored brown mohair vest over his dress shirt. Fashionable. No wonder Rarity liked him. “Miss Rarity’s told me quite a bit about you.” He stretched a hoof out toward her. Pinwheel took it tentatively, “I’m Gold Karat. But just Karat is fine.”

“Pinwheel. Erm…just Pinwheel.” Pinwheel replied, “So…Rarity told you about me?”

“Just good things, I assure you.” Rarity beamed over Karat’s shoulder, “Well! I hope you two enjoy your date!” Giggling, Rarity hurried back to her dress forms, sneaking peeks over her shoulder at Pinwheel and her date.

Nodding, Karat gestured toward the door. “After you, my lady.” Pinwheel grinned nervously at the stallion, shuffling past him out the door. He followed, closing the boutique door softly behind them. Nighttime colored everything a deep blue. The faintest touches of pink and orange still colored the horizon. Pinwheel walked side by side with Karat through the lamp-lined streets. It was not yet late enough for ponies to be in bed. Couples, not unlike them, strolled down the moonlit boulevards. Children chased fireflies in the nearby meadows. A warm breeze whistled between the houses. Karat smiled at Pinwheel, “A lovely night for a walk, isn’t it?”


“Yeah.” Pinwheel replied, mentally hitting herself. She struggled to find words, “Um, listen. About our date…”

“Yes?” Karat paused, looking over at Pinwheel. His voice was soft and refined, not unlike Rarity’s. Pinwheel felt a pang of guilt.

Pinwheel hesitated, gazing down at the cobblestone walk. “I just got out of a sort of serious relationship and I’m, well, I’m not really looking for somepony new right now.” She admitted finally.

To her surprise, Karat smiled. “Oh, don’t worry. Rarity told me about that.“ He replied. Pinwheel peered at him, “Truth be told, I’m not ready to jump into a relationship either.”

Pinwheel cocked her head. “Why go on a date, then?”

Karat let out a gentle laugh, “Rarity told me you were a nice mare.” He answered, “Don’t think of it as a date. Think of it as two ponies getting to know each other.”

Pinwheel began to smile. “Yeah. That sounds good.” The two of them continued on down the street toward the square. Most of the shops and restaurants were shutting down for the night. Even if their lights were on, their ‘Open’ signs were flipped to ‘Closed’. Only one restaurant in the square still bustled with activity. It was a place Pinwheel had noticed before, but had never been inside. Over the awning hung a painted wooden sign – ‘The Bit and Bridle’. The doors stood open to reveal a classy restaurant with leather seats and crisp, white tablecloths. Pinwheel poked her head through the door, watching as the waiters strolled from table to table. They lit candles, took orders, and carried steaming trays of artfully plated food. Pinwheel glanced uncertainly over at Karat, “This place is…really fancy.”

“You don’t like fancy?” Karat asked.

Pinwheel shook her head. “No, it’s just that, well…I didn’t think Ponyville had restaurants like this.”

Karat smiled. “Well, we do get tourists from Canterlot now and then. You know those Canterlot unicorns won’t touch any meal under fifty bits.” He stepped aside, gesturing toward the door, “After you.”

Pinwheel stepped cautiously over the threshold. The maître d’ perked up, glancing up from his podium. “Table for two?” He asked. Karat nodded in response. The maître d’ smiled, picking up a pair of menus and motioning for them to follow him. He lead them to a table in the back corner of the restaurant. Ponies packed the dining room. The stallions all wore at least a dress shirt, the mares skirts and sometimes jewelry. Pinwheel looked down at herself. All of a sudden, she felt painfully naked. Her mane wasn’t even styled.

The maître d’ handed them the menus as they sat. Pinwheel frowned down at the food. Inclining his head, the maître d’ hurried back to his station at the podium. Karat flipped casually through the menu. “Do you drink wine, Miss Pinwheel?”

“Uh, no.”

“I’ll just have water, then.”

Pinwheel fumbled with the menu pages in silence. All around, ponies chatted softly. The dining room filled with the soft chime of cutlery and the sound of polite conversation. The candle on their table flickered and danced, casting shadows across the fine china plates and glasses. Pinwheel looked up at the other guests in the restaurant. Suddenly, a tall figure near the maître d’ podium caught her eye. Quickly, Pinwheel buried her face in the menu. It was that tall, grey coat, still wearing his long, dark trench coat. Pinwheel could hear the maître d’ talking to him from all the way across the restaurant.

“Table for one, sir?” The maître d’ asked, picking up a menu.

“YES!” The colt yelled. Everypony in the restaurant fell silent. Pinwheel jammed her snout even deeper into the binding of the menu. The colt cleared his throat, “I mean, yes. Indeed. I would very much like a table.” Muttering, everypony returned to their meals. Karat glanced sidelong at Pinwheel. Nodding, the maître d’ lead the grey colt back toward their table. Pinwheel let out a little whimper. The waiter set the menu down at a table not ten feet from theirs.

“A waiter will be with you in a moment, sir.” The maître d’ said, inclining his head toward the grey colt. The grey colt nodded in return. Once the waiter was gone, though, the grey colt pushed the menu aside and ignored it entirely. Instead, he simply stared at Pinwheel.

Mr. Karat frowned. He leaned closer to Pinwheel. “You know him?” He whispered.

“Yes. Uh, no. He’s been following me around lately.” Pinwheel answered, peeking at the colt over the top of her menu.

“I see. Your old ex?” Karat asked.

“You have no idea.”

Mr. Karat smiled sympathetically. “Well, if he bothers you, I’ll ask the staff to escort him out.”

Pinwheel lowered her menu, doing her best not to look at the strange grey colt. She stared pointedly at Mr. Karat, trying to ignore the niggling feeling of the colt’s eyes on her. “So!” She began a little too loudly, “Rarity says you’re a jeweler!”

Karat nodded. “Yes, I am. I have quite a respectable little jewelry shop.”

“Yeah, Rarity showed me your card.”

Mr. Karat nodded. “It’s not the most masculine job in Equestria, but jewelry is my passion.”

Pinwheel leaned forward. “It doesn’t matter if it’s masculine or not, as long as it’s something you like to do.”

“Right you are.” Karat smiled, “What about you?”

Pinwheel colored, staring down at her china plate. “Oh. Well. I used to make pinwheels. I mean, that’s my cutie mark. But I’m not so sure about that any more.” She replied, “I never felt very strongly about making pinwheels. I just did it because I was good at it.”

Mr. Karat frowned at her. “I’m sorry to hear that.” He said after a short pause, “But you know, a cutie mark can mean whatever you need it to mean. There’s no one forcing you to do exactly what your cutie mark says.”

Pinwheel blinked. “I never thought of it that way.” Mr. Karat smiled in response. Pinwheel stared down at the menu, her face hot for no reason she could think of, “So…uh…what kind of jewelry do you make?”

“Let me show you. I just came from work, so I have a few things.” Mr. Karat stooped down to pick up his shoulder bag. Lifting it, he set the bag down on the table and rifled through its contents.

Across the room, the grey colt tensed. A unicorn waiter approached him from the kitchen, magically carrying a writing pad. “Can I take your order, sir?” The waiter asked the grey colt, but he paid no attention to him. Mr. Karat lifted a small velvet box out of his satchel and placed it on the table. He slid it across to Pinwheel. Gingerly, Pinwheel opened the box and peered inside. There, seated in velvet, was a spectacular engagement ring. A diamond the size of a baseball glimmered atop a gold base. Pinwheel’s eyes widened. She glanced over at Karat.

“Can I take it out?” She asked. Karat nodded. Gently, Pinwheel lifted the ring out of the box, watching its facets glow in the candlelight, “Wow, it’s gorgeous.” She was so distracted by the ring that she hardly noticed when the grey colt lunged forward, phasing straight through the waiter attending him. The grey colt barreled toward the table, striking it at full gallop and sending both Pinwheel and Karat plummeting toward the ground. The ring flew out of Pinwheel’s grip, landing at the feet of the grey stallion. He kicked it out of the way, growling in disgust.

“I will NOT, ABSOLUTELY NOT ACCEPT THIS!” He shouted, “Pinwheel, you CANNOT MARRY THIS STALLION!”

Pinwheel stared up at the colt. “What? Marry?”

“What in Celestia’s name are you talking about?” Karat spluttered. The colt opened his mouth to speak, then shut it. Everypony in the restaurant stared. The waiters stood stock still with their steaming trays of food still balanced on their backs. The chime of cutlery went silent, as did the conversation. Only the nearby waiter, whom the colt had phased through, was moving.

The waiter let out a wet gurgle as blood started gushing from his mouth and nostrils. He doubled over, falling down onto his knees, and let out a tidal wave of blood. It dribbled even from the corners of his eyes. The waiter flopped over with a wet plop and all fell silent. After a few shocked seconds, a mare at nearby table let out a shrill scream.

Immediately, ponies and staff alike stampeded for the door. In the confusion, guests knocked over tables and plates, sending hot food and drink flying everywhere. A clot of ponies gathered at the door, shrieking and pushing to get out. The dead waiter oozed quarts of blood on the wood floor. Panicked ponies exploded into the quiet square, taking off in every direction. Pinwheel leapt to her feet, but as soon as the chaos cleared, the grey colt had vanished.

“He’s gone?” Pinwheel muttered. Quickly, she trotted over to Mr. Karat and helped him to his feet. Karat stared down at the dead waiter marinating in his pools of blood.

“Did…did that stallion do that?”

“I think so.” Pinwheel answered.

“I’ve seen unicorns go through walls before, but…” He shook his head, “It’s too horrible to look at.”

“Come on.” Taking Karat by the hoof, Pinwheel lead him around the body and out into the street.


The ambulance arrived minutes later. One by one, the nurses hopped off the cart and ran into the restaurant. Pinwheel watched as they loaded the waiter up onto a stretcher and pushed him into the ambulance. Slipping gloves on over their hooves, the remaining staff began mopping up the blood and spilled food. Slowly, the ambulance pulled away from the restaurant and trundled off down the street, its siren silent.

“The lights are off.” Karat said. He and Pinwheel stood side by side on the restaurant porch, watching the ambulance as it rolled away, “That’s not a good sign.”

“No one could survive losing that much blood.” Pinwheel replied.

Karat cleared his throat. “It’s getting late.” He glanced down at Pinwheel, “I’m…sorry for all this.”

Pinwheel shook her head. “No, it’s my fault. That grey stallion’s after me. You heard what he said.”

“No, no. It’s not your fault what he did.” Karat replied, “If nothing else, you’ll have an interesting ‘bad date’ story to tell your friends.”

“It wasn’t…so bad.” Pinwheel forced a smile.

Karat laughed. Gently, he lifted her hoof and kissed it. “Why don’t I treat you to lunch tomorrow then?”

Pinwheel’s smile turned genuine. “That…that sounds nice.”

“Then shall I walk you home?”

Pinwheel shook her head. “No, it’s fine. I can make it back on my own. Thanks, though.”

Mr. Karat inclined his head. “Very well, Miss Pinwheel.” He replied, bowing to her, “I’ll see you tomorrow, then.” Smiling, he turned and vanished down the street into the darkness.

Pinwheel stepped off the porch, walking past the pavilion toward home. As she headed down the street, a shadow poked its head out of an alleyway. Pinwheel jerked to a halt at the alley mouth, her whole body tensing. The figure retreated back into the alley. “Someone there?” Pinwheel called. She could just make out the shape of a tall, thin pony in the darkness, “I know it’s you!”

“You do?” The colt’s voice was soft – barely a whisper compared to his earlier yelling.

“Of course I do!” Pinwheel stepped into the alley, advancing on the colt. For every step she took, he took two steps back, “You’re not very good at hiding. Come on now, stop running away like a scared schoolfilly!”

The colt paused, staring down at the garbage-strewn cobblestones. “I’m sorry.” He replied, his voice barely audible.

“Sorry? Sorry?! You’ve been following me around for days! Lurking outside my window at night and now, ruining my date! Come on, stop pretending like I don’t know who you are.” Pinwheel demanded. The colt looked up. His electric green eyes seemed to glow in the darkness. The colt hesitated, staring steadily at Pinwheel.

“Excuse me, miss?” A voice called from the street. Pinwheel turned around. A royal guard in gold armor stood at the mouth of the alley, “Excuse me, what are you doing back there?”

“I’m talking to—” Pinwheel turned back around. The colt was gone. There was nothing there except the brick wall of the building. Pinwheel’s pupils shrunk to pinpricks.

“Could I speak to you for a moment, miss?” The guard called. Pinwheel turned around, shuffling back out of the alleyway, “Did you hear about what happened at the Bit and Bridle a few minutes ago?”

“Yeah. I was there.”

“Then would you mind answering a few questions for us?”