• Published 10th Feb 2012
  • 3,482 Views, 37 Comments

Assassin's Creed: The Ponyville Chronicles - RoflNom



A mysterious unicorn, dressed in a dark blue and purple cloak, arrives in Ponyville.

  • ...
8
 37
 3,482

Chapter 9: Wrong Place, Wrong Time

"So what's the plan?" The Doctor asked as he and ShadowCaster ran through Ponyville's streets.

"Keep running, at least for now. There's no way I can handle those three on my own. A Knight can easily overpower me, and all of them together would slaughter me. We need to find a place to hide and wait it out." The Assassin replied.

"That's your plan?!" The Doctor yelled. "I though you Assassins were all about taking the enemy out as soon as you saw the chance! We can't just hide in a hole until they leave!"

ShadowCaster stopped. "Oh, and what do you want us to do? Talk to them? Our two groups have been at war several thousand years! There is no room for negotiation between us, it's either we kill them or they kill us! The second you decided to help me, your little world of 'love and toleration' disappeared. You're just as much a part of this as I am now."

"My world was never 'love and toleration'. I've seen a lot of death in my time," The Doctor replied, "and I'm no stranger to it. But there is always another way to do things. All it takes is a little bit of determination."

"Determination? Oh, the Templars have plenty of determination. They're determined to control the entire known world." ShadowCaster said.

"That can't be all they're after. There would have to be more to it than just world domination." The Doctor suggested.

"If there is, than we don't know what it could be. Their goal has always been as plain to see as ours." ShadowCaster said.

"Or so you think." The Doctor said.

ShadowCaster got a bit angry. "Look, do you want to discuss our war or do you want to actually find a safe place to stay? I might be able to get a message back to our headquarters to send some help."

"Do you really need it? I mean, you seem to be somewhat capable." The Doctor asked.

"Yeah, I do. If there are Knights here, that means that they're planning something. Ponyville could end up becoming the front lines, it being so close to Canterlot and having such little Templar influence."

"Front lines? As in, you all would move into Ponyville? That's insane! There are innocent ponies in this town, who have no idea what's going on!" The Doctor exclaimed.

ShadowCaster let out a sigh. "Yeah, I'm well aware of that. But in the words of a great Assassin, 'The ends justify the means'. The Brotherhood taking a position in Ponyville could change everything."

"The ends justify the means? I know who said that, and I'll let you know now that I don't agree with his ideas. That is an extremely selfish way to go about things. Lives have been unnecessarily lost due to ideas like that." The Doctor said.

"We have our ways of doing things. We don't care if others don't like them, and we're certainly not going to change our ways because they seem selfish and cruel. You apparently know a lot about us, so tell me, what is our motto?" ShadowCaster asked before turning around and continuing to walk.

"I'd rather not say it, sorry. Let's just get moving before the Templars find us." The Doctor said.

"Alright, any idea as to where we can go? You've lived here for a while, so you should know where most ponies would never go, right?" ShadowCaster asked.

The Doctor tapped his hoof against his chin. "The only place that comes in mind is the Everfree Forest. Most ponies around here avoid it due to it's dangers."

"And those dangers are?"

"Oh, normal things. Manticores, Cockatrices, and Timberwolves. Nothing we shouldn't be able to handle, right?" The Doctor asked.

"Yeah, that will work. We have a nice, dark place on the outskirts of town. Protection from intruders and anypony that comes looking for us. Are there any caves or shacks in the forest to hide out in?"

The Doctor thought for a moment. "Well, there's one cave that I know of. Though something already lives there."

"I'm sure we can handle it." The Assassin said.

"Eh, no. We won't be able to handle it, not at all. The chaos it caused the last time was massive." The Doctor said, trying to to convince ShadowCaster.

"Nah, I'm sure we'll be fine. I've dealt with wildlife before, so it shouldn't take too long." He said as he waved a hoof.

The Doctor sighed. "And here I was hoping I wouldn't see any more deaths." He said under his breath.

"What was that?" ShadowCaster asked.

"Oh, nothing. Just talking to myself. Now then, let's get to that cave, I guess." The Doctor said, unenthusiastically.

______________________________________________________________________________


As the mare, clad in purple and blue robes, climbed off of the train, she took a good look at the town. Small, happy, and safe. The three things she had little to no knowledge about. She had been brought up in Stalliongrad, raised in the dangerous streets with the others of the Assassin bloodline. The city was large and infested with their enemies. Only the strong and the lucky survived.

She would have to just do what she does best. Adjust and adapt. She would have to integrate herself to be able to find out where ShadowCaster is. Or to find out if he's died or not. Either way, she was to finish his mission if he failed. And she didn't like that, let alone the fact that he got the assignment to begin with.

She shook the thought from her mind. She had to start her search as soon as possible, she just didn't know where. The Mentor said the Brotherhood had no informants or moles in Ponyville, due to it being so close to Canterlot. He had no idea whether ShadowCaster had made allies in the time between his arrival and now.

Looking around she noticed a rather large building in the center of the town. She could climb to the top and get a good look around. She would run the risk of being spotted by Templar scouts, but since she was a skilled climber and had excellent eye sight, it wouldn't take all that long. Only a minute or two, at the most.

She made her way to the building. It wasn't extremely tall, but tall enough for her to be able to see most if not all of the town. She readied herself and began her ascent, by crack, ledge, and other small deformities in the building. She quickly reached the top of the building and climbed onto a small flag pole that was the tip. From there she saw the entirety of Ponyville.

A few things caught her eye, like several larger and unique building around the town. The large forest just beyond the town limits also seemed interesting to her. Looking around for a way down from the building, she noticed a medium-sized cart of hay. Seeing it as her only way down, she spread her hooves and dived off of the building. After several seconds of free fall, she landed in the cart. A quick look around from inside the hay revealed nopony was around, she exited.

As she made her way towards the forest she had seen from the top of the building, she failed to noticed that three certain ponies had seen her from the moment she entered town. They saw her climb on top of the town hall, jump into the hay, and walk away seemingly unnoticed. They began to follow her, in hopes of killing both the Assassins and the traitorous resident.

______________________________________________________________________________


"I"m really starting to regret trusting you, Doctor." ShadowCaster said in an annoyed whisper.

"Oh, what possible reason could there be for that? I told you something lived in this cave, didn't I?" The Doctor responded, acting innocent.

"Yes, you did. Though, you missed one important piece of information." The Assassin said, becoming increasingly angry.

"And what would that be?" His companion said.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe the fact that this cave belonged to an Ursa Minor!" The cloaked stallion yelled on accident.

"Yes, start yelling and hollering. That'll be sure keep us hidden. You said you could handle it, though. I don't see why you're freaking out."

"I thought it would be something, you know, at least close to my size. I can't fight something that could literally swallow me whole."

"Stop exaggerating," The Doctor said, waving a hoof, "It would have to still chew a few times before swallowing you."

ShadowCaster rolled his eyes. "Yeah, that makes me feel so much better about this. I suggest we leave while we still have a chance."

"That's probably a good idea. We can look around for another place to hide out. That or we can just wander around aimlessly until something interesting happens."

"I prefer the option that might actually be helpful. Let's get out of here before this thing wakes up."

______________________________________________________________________________


"Alright, it looks like she's stopped for a break. Should we strike now, Basilisk?" One of the three Knights asked the other.

"Not quite yet, Seeker. She may lead us to the other Assassin and the traitor. I want you to keep a diligent eye on her. I will take Wayward and we shall continue to look around in hopes of finding the other two on our own. Perhaps even lure them together, and capture them all at once." The Knight name Basilisk said.

"Capture? You mean we aren't to kill them once we get the chance?" Seeker asked.

"No. Her Highness has ordered we bring the three to her. She wants to know why there are Assassins this far west. They have little to no influence in this half of Equestria." Basilisk replied.

Wayward gave a simple grunt, getting the attention of the two Knights. He then gestured to the Assassin mare, who had begun to move once more.

"Alright, Seeker, keep on her tail. Stay out of sight and try not to get into combat. We will continue on." Basilisk order. He and Wayward then began to head towards the more mountainous area of the forest. "Wayward, when we find them, please control yourself. We cannot afford to fail. The Princess will have our head if we do."

Wayward simply gave an indifferent grunt, and kept moving.

______________________________________________________________________________


"Still nothing! We've been walking around for almost an hour and have yet to find somewhere else to stay." ShadowCaster grumbled.

"Well, maybe we should just set up a camp in the forest. Light tends to be blocked by the dense plant-life, so a fire should be concealed. There are plenty of non-poisonous fruits here, and we could use the trees as a place to sleep." The Doctor suggested.

"Yeah, that could work. I should have thought of tha-" He suddenly stopped. He kept quiet and stood perfectly still. The Doctor quickly followed suit. The Assassin slowly turned his head back to the Doctor and whispered, "We're not alone out here. I can see two other ponies watching us in the trees. They're big, so they're likely the Templars. Follow my lead."

Receiving a nod from his ally, ShadowCaster sat down on the ground. "Well," He said aloud, making sure he could be heard, but not making it obvious that he knew the Templars were there, "we should set up camp for now. It's going to get dark soon. I'll get some firewood while you prepare the campfire itself."

The Assassin walked off into the dark forest and, once out of sight, climbed atop a tree looking over the makeshift campsite. He waited for the Templars to make any kind of move on the Doctor. Not long after he left, a pony walked out from the forest. The only problem was that it wasn't one of the Knights.

"Do not move." The pony, a mare, ordered.

"Uh... hello. Is there a problem?" The Doctor asked, looking behind him in hopes of seeing ShadowCaster nearby. His hopes, unfortunately, were crushed as he realized the Assassin was no where in sight.

"No, there is no problem. I'm simply looking for an old friend. I believe he is here in this forest." The mare said.

Upon hearing that, ShadowCaster jumped from his perch atop the tree and landed between the mysterious mare and the Doctor. "Who are you and who are you looking for?" He asked.

"My name doesn't matter. I'm looking for a stallion by the name of--" Before the mare could finish her sentence, the three Templars rushed out of the forest.

"Look at this, the Assassins and the traitor, all in one spot. Thank you, you've just made our task much easier." Basilisk said with a laugh.

"And I was hoping to actually have a challenge in tracking you down. It was like following a hydra in the desert." Seeker taunted.

ShadowCaster backed up and set himself into a combat stance. "What do you mean 'Assassins'? Last I checked, I was the only one here."

"Then you're even more of an incompetent fool than we thought. Not even knowing you received reinforcements." Basilisk said.

The two Assassins looked over to each other, still not being able to make out each others face due to both their hoods and the darkness from the forest.

"I'm guessing I'm the one you're looking for?" One of the Assassins said.

"Yes. Though it seems we have a bigger concern at the moment." The other replied, turning back to the three Knights.

"Now then," Basilisk said, standing on his hind legs and unsheathing his sword, "Prepare to die, Assassins."