• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 882 Views, 4 Comments

The Ballad of Royal Blue - PonyWithAPen



A young stallion moves to Ponyville after his grandfather dies. A chance encounter with an arrogant griffon sends his life into a whirlwind.

  • ...
6
 4
 882

The Rescue Mission

Apple Bloom woke up a few hours later. She didn’t know what time it was, but the fact that the moon still lit up the sky meant that it wasn’t time to wake up yet. She was about to fall back asleep when she heard a noise. Scootaloo tossed and turned in her sleep. The fillies were sharing Apple Bloom’s bed at the moment. Bloom knew she had to do something about her friend’s behavior. She pinned Scootaloo to one spot. Realizing she was restricted, Scootaloo woke up to her close friend staring at her, concerned.

“Apple Bloom!” she said, relieved. Bloom rolled over, allowing her friend to catch her breath. But as Scootaloo tried, she started crying. This got her an immediate hug from Bloom.

“What’s the matter, sugar cube?” It was the first time Scoots had ever heard her use big sister Applejack’s favorite term of endearment. After some good, hard sobbing, Scootaloo calmed down enough to talk.

“It was Royal. He was fighting all of the griffons at once. He…he didn’t make it!” On that note, Scoots continued to cry while being held by her best friend.

“I know, I know. I’m scared, too. But it’s okay. Rainbow said she was going to help him. Those two together can’t lose.” Bloom smiled as she cuddled her friend. Scootaloo stopped her crying, and smiled as well.

“Thank you, Apple Bloom.” The two friends finished their embrace, lied back down, and closed their eyes.

“But if you tell anyone at school about me crying, I’ll pound you!” Scootaloo said, coyly. Bloom smiled.

“I know. G’night, Scootaloo.”

“Good night, Apple Bloom.” The two friends finally fell asleep. Scootaloo was finally able to smile again.

Rainbow awoke with a start. She had experienced a similar nightmare to Scootaloo’s. This was a strange feeling. Confident as she was, she didn’t get nightmares too often. Something was wrong; she could feel it. She shook off the cobwebs and shot off into the night. She knew where to go; Scootaloo had told her when she was taking the CMC home. At the moment, she was mentally beating herself up about falling asleep.

I should have gone to help him right away! Oh Royal, you’d better not die on me, kid!

Meanwhile, Royal awoke. He was captured in chains designed to prevent an easy escape. He rattled the chains, attempting to do just that. After struggling for a while, he gave up.

Stupid griffon! Should have known he’d pull something like that! At least it's not the kids.

Royal sat stewing in his own frustration. He’d fallen for the oldest trick in the book. However, it wasn’t the trick that had made him so angry. It was the fact that the griffon had gone so far as to kidnap three innocent fillies and threaten their safety. Whenever he got free, he promised that the first thing he would do would be to punch the griffon in the face. Then he’d teach him a crash-course in manners. Royal’s thoughts were interrupted by evil laughter. “The griffon” had re-entered his makeshift throne room.

Royal stared at him as he ascended to his throne. Paulie looked down at him, literally.

“So, I finally have you where you belong, Blue Boy…in isolation!” Royal noticed that he was wearing a crown.

“Where’d you get that? The Burger Prince Filly’s Club?” Royal flatly asked Paulie.

“This coming from the pony wearing a cape that makes him look like Super Stallion.” Paulie scoffed back at him.

“What do you want from me, anyway? This is all because of Pinkie Pie, isn’t it? Well forget it! You’re not gonna hurt her! I won’t let you!” Royal struggled to escape his chains again. This time, a beam of energy from Paulie’s talon shocked him, and sent him backwards. Royal felt a weird sensation, as if he’d been struck by lightning. Whatever it was, it hurt like all of those injuries he’d suffered as a kid trying to mimic Soarin and Spitfire’s greatest tricks. Paulie kept shocking him, smiling with glee as he did it, listening specifically for Royal’s painful cries. Finally, Paulie ended the torture, allowing Royal to fall to the ground, nearly unconscious; nearly burnt to a crisp.

“I will hurt whoever I want to, thank you. And you’re gonna help me!”

Royal was not quite knocked out, however. He could still hear everything going on around him. He listened as Paulie began talking.

“These special powers you gave me really are amazing! I could do that to him all day!” Paulie chuckled.

“Indeed. Just remember our little deal, Paulie. Once we’re through, you rule the northern half of this world, I rule the southern half.” This was a voice Royal had never heard before. It sounded feminine, yet slightly warped at the same time.

“Once more, make sure you bring me Twilight Sparkle, and her little friends, too!” Paulie appeared slightly intimidated by her presence, Royal thought.

“Yes, my queen. Everything is going according to plan. We’ve got our ace in the hole right here!” Royal was sure they referred to him. He wanted to open his eyes, but the pain was just too great. He didn’t even notice Paulie lining him up for another round. More energy came out from the griffon’s talon, hitting Royal squarely, and causing him to cry out in pain yet again. Royal felt himself weakening with every passing moment. Eventually, he couldn’t feel anything anymore.

Paulie was clearly enjoying himself, if overdoing things just a little. He was interrupted by a familiar voice.

“Paulie! That’s enough!” Surprisingly, the plea for mercy came from Gilda. Paulie stopped what he was doing and turned to face her.

“Excuse me? Enough? Gilda, time and time again, this blue pain has ruined my plans to get Pinkie Pie for you!” Gilda remained unfazed by his overreactions.

“Time and time again, eh Paulie? You mean all of twice, right?” Gilda snarked at him.

“Your point, Gilda?”

“My point is I think the kid isn’t the guilty party.” Paulie just smiled.

“You’re right, dear. He isn’t the guilty party…but he’s about to be!” Paulie aimed for Royal’s head and gave him one more good shock. Royal cried out in pain, and then he was silent. Paulie then turned back to Gilda.

“If you’re so concerned about him, don’t be. I’m not going to kill him. I am, however, going to make him wish he was dead.” Gilda looked at him, skeptically.

“Really…how are you going to pull that off?” Paulie kept his evil grin.

“Just watch me…”

Several hours passed, and it was nearly noon in Ponyville. Applejack and the others were growing worried about Rainbow Dash’s whereabouts.

“Has anyone seen Rainbow? I don’t like this. Royal’s not back either.” AJ said. Pinkie shivered.

“What if…they…” Pinkie couldn’t even finish her sentence before she broke down in tears. Fluttershy rushed to comfort her. AJ stood there and offered up a confident smile.

“Rainbow would never let that happen, and you know it, Pinkie.” Rarity nodded her head in agreement.

“Yes, dear. Why, Rainbow Dash would sooner, what’s that phrase, knock their blocks off!” The posh mare nodded defiantly. Pinkie smiled, sniffling just a bit. Fluttershy let her go.

“Somepony should stay with Scootaloo during this time. I’ll go!” Pinkie regained that bounce in her step as she bounded off toward Royal’s house. The others smiled as they watched her go.

“You think I should tell her that Scootaloo is with my sister right now?” Applejack asked.

“Don’t worry, darling. They’re out crusading. Pinkie might run right into them.” Rarity said.

“I sure hope so…” Fluttershy said as she watched her close friend bounce off into the distance.

Another round of so-called “shock therapy,” as Paulie called it; was in session. Royal, who had already lost so much strength from the previous round just hours ago, was in a whole new world of hurt. The strange energy coursed up and down his body. He screamed in pain, but his cries fell on deaf ears. He swore that his blood had converted entirely to this energy that tortured him. Gilda stood and watched the proceedings occur. Something in her screamed at her to stop her psychotic best friend/boyfriend before he killed their prisoner. She watched him as he flailed about in pain. There was something about his face…he was so young!

He really is just a kid! Gilda ran over to Paulie.

“Paulie, that’s really enough!” Paulie stopped his punishment on a dime; briefly giving Royal two more light shocks. As was the case earlier, Royal had slipped into unconsciousness.

“I suppose you’re right, Gilda. After all, he can’t be much fun if he’s dead.”

“If he’s dead, you’re dead!” Gilda’s head perked up. She knew that voice. Rainbow Dash entered the area, and she was ticked off. She ran right to Royal’s side, attempting to undo the chains. It was then that she noticed the scuff marks all over his body. She turned a murderous gaze toward Paulie, not noticing Gilda at first.

“What the buck did you do to my friend? Speak up, or I will buck your teeth right down your throat for your next meal!”

Rainbow’s temper was at its peak. She had never been this angry before. She got closer to him. Paulie made a gesture. A bolt of magic came from out of nowhere and zapped the chains, knocking Rainbow backwards, and making the chains disappear. Royal was free. When her eyes readjusted, she ran as fast as she could toward him, catching him before he hit the ground and lifting him on to her back.

It was at this point, that she looked up and saw Gilda. Their eyes met; eyes that were full of regret at something wonderful that had gone wrong.

“Hey Dash,” Gilda said.

“Gilda…please don’t tell me you’re with this guy!” Paulie got offended by that statement. He quickly shot a bolt of energy at Rainbow, knocking her for a loop.

“Paulie!” Gilda shouted.

“Leave now, rainbow one…before I change my mind and kill you both!” Rainbow started to leave, with Royal still on her back. She turned around when she was nearly into the darkness.

“If Royal dies, I will come right back and kill every last one of you.” Gilda was shocked.

You must really care for him, Dash. Good, at least someone does. Get out of here while you still can!

Rainbow stared back at her for a brief moment.

Gilda, I…I’m not good at this. I care about you. Please don’t tell me you’ve betrayed the whole world!

Rainbow left the canyon, preparing to fly with some extra baggage. She took off, noting a bit of weight, but it was nothing she could not handle.

Oof! You’re not as light as a colt, kid. But I’ll manage.

She flew across the afternoon sky, keeping an eye out for Ponyville. She intended to return Royal to his house, where she would keep watch over him until her weather team duties called. She took another look back at him. What if he did die?

Please don’t die on me, squirt! I need you. I’m not good with the whole big sister thing. You’re a wonderful brother to her, and you’ve done a much better job than I could.

The mare suddenly had a realization in mid-air.

You two are both like siblings to me. In that case, I need to try and be the best big sister ever. Now I know how Applejack and Rarity feel. Hang in there, kiddo…I don’t want to lose my little brother! Tears fell from her eyes as she kept flying through the clouds.

True to Rarity’s prediction, Pinkie Pie had crossed paths with the Cutie Mark Crusaders. She walked with them all the way to Royal’s house, after reassuring the fillies that he and Rainbow Dash would be all right. Pinkie kept a smile on through it all, but in reality she was scared to death. These griffons had said that they would eat her precious adopted siblings if pushed to it. What if they had eaten Royal? This despair got to her face. The CMC noticed this and wrapped Pinkie in one of their patented group hugs.

“Don’t worry, Pinkie. He’ll be okay.” Scootaloo said.

Suddenly there came a knock at the door.

“Who’s there?” Pinkie asked.

“Only the most awesome pony in Equestria!” The four ponies rejoiced. Rainbow Dash had returned! They let her in, and their excitement diminished considerably when they saw the condition Royal was in.

“Scootaloo, help me get him to bed. You’re gonna stay up with me as long as possible and watch over him, okay?” Rainbow asked of her number one fan.

“Okay!” Scootaloo nodded. She got in for a closer look. Royal had marks all over his back. They had really done a number on him. Tears formed in her eyes.

“W-what did they do to him?” Rainbow shook her head.

“I don’t know. He was like this when I got there.”

Rainbow set Royal down in his bed. She felt like crying, seeing him like this. Scootaloo was crying. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Pinkie Pie stood by the door, with their heads hung low. They slowly approached Royal’s bedside. Pinkie gently held him, as tears began to fill her eyes. This had all happened because he protected her multiple times from the griffon gang. The Cutie Mark Crusaders shared a group hug. Usually, Scootaloo wasn’t into hugging, but she made a few exceptions, and this was one of them. Eventually, Pinkie stood up. She wiped the tears from her eyes and offered a supportive smile to the group.

“I have to go back to Sugar Cube Corner now…” she softly said, sounding more like Fluttershy than herself. Rainbow nodded.

“We’ll stay with him until the moment he wakes up. You’ll be the first to know, Pinkie.”

“Thank you…” Pinkie left the house, trying to collect herself along the way.

Back at Swelter Canyon, Paulie had a thought he could not get off his mind.

“Gilda, I don’t get that exchange between you and that rainbow pony earlier. I thought you hated her.” he said. Gilda turned, shielding her eyes in the process.

I thought so too. But for some reason, I don’t. Maybe her friendship with that pink dweeb was the real deal. Gilda was so lost in thought, that she didn’t even notice her surroundings.

“Paulie, I grow tired of waiting. The takeover of Canterlot and the rest of Equestria is a day I’ve dreamed about since I was small.” The mysterious partner was now standing right next to Paulie. Gilda looked up and freaked out. The figure was tall, black, and had holes all over its body.

“Gahh! Paulie, who’s the Swiss cheese pony?” Paulie started laughing nervously. His partner was not amused.

“Gilda, meet Chrysalis, Queen of the Changelings!” Gilda just stared, nervously, at the figure.

So she’s the one who gave you those powers…I wondered how you got so strong and could suddenly use that strange energy.

She stood back, in awe of the one in front of her. Chrysalis commanded attention and respect. She was ready for another crack at taking over Equestria, and the entire world.

"So...you must be Paulie's girl. Would you like to hear the story of how he and I met?"