• Published 22nd Apr 2013
  • 2,378 Views, 8 Comments

Sombra: The Shadow Over Ponyville - Blaster Master



King Sombra returns to haunt the Mane Six and get his revenge for his defeat at the Crystal Empire

  • ...
3
 8
 2,378

Chapter 16

Chapter 16

The six friends were scattered about by the blast, covered in a combination of dirt, leaves, and crystal powder. Twilight was the first to get to her hooves.

“Is everypony alright?”

“I’m fine! Not a scratch!” Rainbow Dash said confidently as she picked herself out from under some debris.

“Me too,” Fluttershy said as she flew over to help Rainbow.

“My coat!” Rarity cried in dismay as she tried to dust her coat off with one hoof, “I’ll need to get myself re-groomed after this!”

“I’m here, sugar cube!” Applejack said as she replaced her hat back on her head.

“Does anypony else feel a sense of déjà vu?” Pinkie Pie asked “…Oh well, I guess it’s nothing.”

The friends were dirty and exhausted, but victorious nonetheless.

“Do you think it’s really over?” Fluttershy asked timidly, looking over towards the burnt remains of the Crystal Tree.

“No way could anypony have survived that!” Rainbow Dash commented.

“Ah reckon we can stick a fork in him,” Applejack remarked “Cause he’s done!”

“At least now things can get back to normal in Ponyville,” Rarity said with satisfaction, “Celestia knows I’ve been absolutely frazzled ever since this all started! I’ll need the full spa treatment when we get home!”

“First, I need to throw my ‘We Defeated the Evil King Sombra’ party!” Pinkie exclaimed, “We did one after we beat him the first time, but how many chances are we going to get to throw two of these!”

“Maybe we can throw it tomorrow, Pinkie,” Twilight sighed exhaustedly, “Because I’m completely-”

But suddenly, from beneath the wreckage of the Crystal Tree, Sweetie Belle arose. She had purple energy coming from her green eyes and a red horn in her teeth. She charged at Twilight Sparkle. The six were so tired from everything that had occurred that they didn’t even notice her until she was five feet from them, and even when they noticed, their reflexes were too dulled to react in time. Sweetie Belle plunged the horn into Twilight’s chest. Twilight gave a short gasp, and when she looked down, she saw no blood. Instead, when Sweetie Belle let go, the horn seemed to burrow its way into Twilight’s chest of its own volition, bubbling purple and green as it did so. Sweetie Belle collapsed into unconsciousness and Twilight thrashed in pain as Sombra’s life force left the filly and tried to infect the purple Unicorn. Rarity knelt next to her sister, and the others grabbed onto Twilight.

“Twilight!” Applejack yelled “What’s happening to you?! What do we do?!”

Twilight felt Sombra inside her, he burned and froze at the same time, trying to seize control of her.

“You thought you could stop me, my foalish niece!” Sombra declared, not in her mind, but through Twilight’s own mouth, “You thought any of you could stop me!”

“No!” Twilight cried, temporarily regaining control, “He’s in my mind! He’s trying to… Control me! AAHHH!!

Twilight twisted and flailed as if having a seizure, screaming in agony as Sombra’s life force dug into her mind and soul.

Fight it, Twilight!” Rainbow Dash shouted at her, “You’re stronger than he is! You can do it!

IDIOTS!” Sombra bellowed with Twilight’s mouth. Sombra unleashed a pulse of magic that blew all of Twilight’s friends off their hooves and knocked them to the ground some distance away.

“You’re very powerful, Twilight. I see why Celestia chose you!” Sombra commented, looking down upon his new body “But now your power, your very soul will be mine!!

“NO!!”

Suddenly a bright light shined upon the scene from above. Everyone looked up to behold a beautiful and terrible sight: the two Princesses of the Sun and the Moon, glowing brightly with righteous fury.

“Ah! Celestia!” Sombra called from his new vessel as Twilight’s eyes now sporting the signature purple energy, “So good to see you after so long! I had hoped our next meeting would be on more favorable terms, but beggars cannot be choosers…”

I pray thee stand back, Elements of Harmony!” Princess Luna called to the ponies below with her traditional Canterlot vocabulary, “Mine sister and I shall vanquish this blackguard once and for all!

“You cannot hope to escape, Sombra,” Celestia informed him coldly.

“Perhaps, perhaps not,” Sombra said, “After all, I’m the one in the far better bargaining position. Let me escape and I’ll release your precious student. Try to stop me, and I’ll tear her soul apart.”

“You know I can’t allow that.”

“No, I suppose you can’t. Say goodbye to-”

But the Princess interrupted him by swooping down and stabbing him in the chest with her horn.
Sombra cried out in agony as Celestia’s horn shined yellow as the sun.

“I will draw you out, Sombra!” Celestia declared “Like poison from a wound!”

“If I go, she dies!” The Shadow King threatened as he flailed in pain.

“No…” Celestia snapped, sweat pouring down her face as she strained, “You’ve taken so many from me, but you will not take HER!

The princess’s power coursed through Twilight’s body, gathering the dark energy of the evil king. Sombra’s scream turned into Twilight’s scream as the Sun Princess withdrew her horn from her student’s chest. Twilight collapsed to the ground and Celestia’s horn crackled with angry black energy, the collected life force of King Sombra.

“Goodbye, Sombra…” Celestia’s tone could have cut iron, “Forever…”

She pointed her horn skyward and fired a mighty black bolt of magic straight up. The collection of dark magic that was once King Sombra gave a final, long, furious scream as he sailed into the sky, beyond the clouds…

And was gone.

Celestia fell to one knee, but was picked up by her younger sister.

“Where did you send him?” Luna asked in her modern accent.

“As far as I could,” Was her sister’s simple, tired answer.