• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 3,538 Views, 60 Comments

Her hardest duty. - Alchemystudent



Twilight has to, once again, face the hardest duty of her princess career

  • ...
6
 60
 3,538

Her hardest duty

Twilight Sparkle breathed deeply as she walked around her room, “Today is the day, isnt it? When I have to see off one of the last of my friends,” she lowered her head at the thought of the days events. This was a hard task that she had ahead of herself today, and she knew that it would never be an easy one to do. It was never easy.

She walked by her nightstand to look at an old photograph of her and her friends, the same one that they took on the first day that they had all became friends and her mentor sent her to live in Ponyville. Tears welled up in her eyes as the memories came to her of all the things that she and her firends did together, the lives that they had lived, and the journeys that they had all been on. She looked over some of the other photos on her stand, each one of them a precious memory of her friends-together: the day they beat Discord, her brother’s wedding, her coronation, saving Rarity from being a nightmare, their journey to the Dragonlands and meeting the dragon gods, Dash and Flutte...She looked away for a bit from that picture, all it did was remind her of the hard task that was set before her. It was a very hard task for her, one that she thought would become easier with time and with each friend that went, “But it never got easier did it? It only got harder and harder each time I did this,” She looked back at the photo of her two friends, both looking so happy in it. Sighing she thought, “they looked happy on that fateful day too.”

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were the first to go, to the surprise of no one. Ever since they rekindled their friendship they became closer and closer to one another, so when the fateful day had come, it was not so shocking that they went together as one. Fluttershy looked so happy there, surrounded by her animals and mom and dad while Dash looked confident as always. Rarity did the best job she could to make sure that they looked so alive on that day while everypony else noticed that this would be the first time that Dash had ever dressed up for anything in her life. A tear came slowly to Twilight’s eyes as she remembered her trying her best not to break down in tears on that day alongside Rarity and Pinkie.

“HEY Twilight! Its time,” Spike called from downstairs, looking up to her room, “You do remember what day it is, right.”

“Y...Yes Spike,” Twilight sighed, “I do. I was just, remembering.”

“Oh,” Spike said, walking away slowly in understanding,” Just, try not to be late, ok?”

Twilight looked down the stairs and replied,” I have done this three times already Spike, I think I know when to come so I can not be late,” she then shot out her wings in the sudden realization. She had done this three times, she had seen this type of thing for three times and now...it was Pinkie’s turn. Closing her wings against her sides, she sighed softly. She knew that the day that she had reached her final stage in her development and became a princess that this type of day would come. That she would soon each one of her friends go through this and she would have to watch each one every time. It was one of her duties after all, it was one that she spefically asked Celestia for. IT was a duty that she knew that her friends would want and would be honored to have her do for them and their families in the future.

She looked down the stairs to where Spike was and softly smiled. Pinkie was the second to go, and she knew that one day, it would Spike’s turn as well, “Dragons arent eternal after all, one day he will grow up and,” She put a hoof to her mouth, “Oh, Celestia, if I am getting this worked up for Pinkie. Then what is going to happen with Spike. Can I actually do it for him,” She looked back down before teleporting. She loved Spike like a son, and she knew that when his time came, she might just break.


She teleported to the inside of the chapel, in a long hallway surrounded by stain glass windows. A smile came across her face as she looked at one, depicting her and her friends saving the day from an evil god from the old days that wanted to wipe out all will. Looking along the glass, she could remember each friend that stood beside her and then when she reached Applejack, she remembered Applejack’s day.

For Applejack, it was simple and down to earth. Well, it was as simple as it could be when you were doing it outside and the party contained almost every Apple family member in existance. She chuckled as she remembered how tired Derpy was in spreading the news to every member and how loud the party was. Her face then turned somber when she remembered Applejack being brought in, how beautiful she looked on that day, and how everypony there was in tears as they saw her. Twilight herself couldnt believe it when she had heard the news, it was just so shocking to hear. Then she saw Applejack and was able to confirm it, that it was all true.

She shook her head in order to clear the memory, trying her best to not dwell on how she did it in the past or how hard it was to go through it each time that the moment had arrived. However, the memories kept on coming as she looked through the hallway. It reminded her of the Royal chapel that was used on Rarity’s day, the chapel that she asked and begged Twilight to give her the chance to use, “Only Rarity,” she chuckled to herself as she walked down the hall, “Only Rarity would beg for her own chapel and design her own dress for that day.”

She then looked down, thinking that Rarity was the last before Pinkie Pie and never had a chance to make a similar gown for her pink firend, “ I bet she would have loved the chance to make a-” she was taken out of her thoughts by the weight of an armored white hoof on her shoulder.

“It never get easier does it, my faithful student,” Celestia said, looking down at her Twilight.

“No,” Twilight sighed, “It doesnt. I thought it would after time, but the responsibility that this keeps bringing, the fear that I might mess something up, it just keeps getting worse.”

Celestia smiled warmly at her former student as she looked into her eyes, “I know Twilight, I know. I personally have watched over several of my own friend’s ceremonies and it has never gotten easier.Even I came close to messing it up one time, but luckily Luna was there to help keep me from ruining it.”

“Its just so, nerve wrecking each time,” Twilight said, flying up to an image of her brother putting a hoof, “I mean, I have already been through this with four of my firends by now. How much longer before I have to do this for their children, grand children, or any of my neices and nephews,” She then floated back down to Celestia’s level, “Its just become harder and harder to do each time and make sure that its all perfect for them.”

“Isn't that why you wanted this duty, though?” Celestia asked, running her hoof in a comforting manner along Twilight’s mane, “The moment you heard that this was one of your duties as a princess, you came and almost begged me for the chance to watch over all of your friends and family when this day finally came for them. Because you wanted to make sure that it was special for them and you wanted to be a part of that.”

Twilight giggled a little as Celestia’s hoof reached a wing, tickling her, “You’re right, Celestia. I did choose this, and I have to do it, no matter how hard it gets,” She said, her eyes giving a look of determination.

“Oh, and your brother is here today, appearently you might want to get ready for your ‘other duty’ soon enough,” Celestia said as she decided to go and watch from afar as another Element Bearer went through the next stage in their life.


Sighing, Twilight walked slowly to the front of the chapel and in front of so many ponies. All of them friends and family of Pinkie Pie, all of them connected to her in some way. Twilight looked at the Cakes, now older than she first saw them, crying thier eyes out for their adoptive daughter right alongside Pinkie’s real parents. She looked at the Cake twins, now teenagers looking at the ceremony, thinking of their older sister. She then turned to the four ladies standing by her side, their color striking the right mood for the occasion that was transpiring. Turning to look straight ahead, she got a good glimpse of Pinkie as the music began to play through the chapel.

Twilight kept a very stoic face as Pinkie was carried down the path to where Twilight stood. She sighed, the mare had gotten a bit older with time and now she was before her, looking no different than the first day she saw her. Twilight then took a deep breath as she began to speak, “ Friends and Family, I am glad that we are all gathered today to see Pinkemena Daine Pie-”

Pinkie looked up from under her veil, “TWILIGHT! I thought you said you were going to call me Pinkie! You don't need to be so formal.”


The guests in the chapel just looked on in shock that Pinkie could be so brazen during her wedding, while Twilight chuckled, “I am sorry...Gathered here today to see my dear friend Pinkie Pie to be joined in holy matromony...”

As Twilight went on through the ceremony, Rarity looked down at her stomach, “Now you see darling, that is how you are not going to act. Understand?”

Applejack, looked at Rarity with an unbelieving look,” Ah swear rare, it cant hear you from over here.”

“Oh, and you never talked to your first foal,” Rarity asked Applejack.

Twilight could overhear her long time friends talking up a storm under their breaths. They had both gotten pregnant around the same time and have since then trying to give each other advice, “Pinkie and Braeburn met each other through a mutual love of bakery and that soon.”

“Does she have to do this every wedding,” Dash asked, “Come on, just say, ‘I pronounce you mare and stallion’ and be done with it.”

Fluttershy said nothing in response as she looked down at her wedding band around her hoof and back to Rainbow Dash’s, a smile on her face. She turned to watch the small show to her right as Rarity and Applejack continued their small argument.

“Now, by the power invested in me...I now pronouce you Stallion and mare, you may kiss the bride.”

“AT LAST,” Pinkie exclaimed as she tackled Braeburn to the ground and gave him a deep kiss. It was all Twilight could do to stop herself from chuckling.


At the reception, Twilight sat at a table close by her friends and drinking her tea, “Are you sure you’re ok with Pinkie wearing that...dress Rarity?”

“Oh of course darling,” Rarity said, watching Pinkie dance her spotlight dance, “I have to admit, her idea was very...creative.”

Twilight smiled, remembering the day that Pinkie broke the news and how she told Rarity that Pinkie’s mother wanted to make the dress. Rarity felt a little dissappointed that she couldnt make all of her firends wedding dresses Luckily, Pinkie had a great idea. She was going to combine both dresses into one. It was quite a site, it was so...Pinkie. Out of the corner of Twilight’s eye, she caught Rarity’s husband talking and that began to bring back memories of the adventure that they had to save him before the wedding.

“Oh, how are you holding up Sugarcube, still thinking that this was hard,” Applejack asked, her belly wobbling a little.

“No, not at all. At least compared to yours, I never realized you were going to invite the entire family here, or that every one was going to wish you well,” she then looked at her belly, reminded of the foal, “So how is it?”

“Ah, he doing fine. Rarity’s been making sure I take good care of it,” Applejack chuckled as she drank a little cider. She and Rarity had gotten pregnant around the same time and were due around the same date.

“Look, its my first so I want to make sure that I have a good friend who has been through it before keeping me in check and making sure I don't scream anything unlady like,” this caused the table to laugh.

Dash looked at the party pony who was waving her hoof to her blue friend to come to her. Dash looked and gave a quick kiss on the lips to her Fluttershy, a smile on her lips. Being the first to get married, also meant that she had perfected a marrage routine with Pinkie Pie that she had been doing the past few times. Getting a small party cannon onto her back, Dash smirked as she took off and fired it in mid flight. This sent out fireworks that lit up the night sky.

Twilight sat back and watched it all, a smile on her face as she breathed a sigh of relief. he had accomplished her hardest duty, one that she wanted to do since she found out about it. The hardest duty...

Of helping her friends grow and go onto a new journey of their lives.

Author's Note:

I had an idea, this happened...what is wrong with me

Comments ( 59 )

Ah ah, really misleading story :trollestia:

Nothing is wrong with you, my friend. Just keep writing brillitantly adorable stories like this one. Very misleading title, almost made me not click on it, thinking it was about Twi's 'immortality' again. Glad I did in the end. Thanks for writing it. :pinkiehappy:

What...? Hah! That's funny! At first I thought Pinkie's wedding was a flashback and everyone was dieing just like all the other stories about seeing Twilight's friends leave.. I love it! A happy aspect. :pinkiehappy:

Didn't take me very long to realize what was going on.

:rainbowhuh: How is this a Slice of life I mean I can get how it is one but then again I thought Slice of life was suppose to be sad but whatever.

2406322

You are so very welcome, I wanted to make a more heartwarming aspect to immortality and subvert the usual. Thanks for the compliment, I try to make things heartwarming as I can

2406317

I learned from the best :trollestia: thank you my queen

2406658

What can I say, I love to surprise my audience

I want you to just... just... *bursts out laughing* Oh what can I say, I had a suspicion that it wasn't a depressing fic as soon as I saw that Applejack was the 5th "to go" but the ending was just SO funny. Pinkie would be proud.

2407182

*bows* I try to honor my mistress Pinkie in so many ways

Psst.

Hey, just saw this added on my feed. Might I offer a suggestion?

Her Hardest Duty

Capitalize your titles! Also, no periods. It helps with first impressions when you publish fics, seriously! Good luck out there!

I have to admit that I wasnt really expecting this^^ Though maybe you should have chosen a more depressing picture for the cover art. I could kinda guess that it wasnt about "it" from it but you still manged to suprise me^^ One question though... what was er "other duty"? You never explained that

2407368

Oh, she gets to name the royal first born child of the royal couple of the Crystal Empire. and to be the royal foalsitter

I was all :fluttercry: until Pinkie jumped up and corrected Twilight then I understood what was going on and I was all :rainbowlaugh:
congrats ... you broke my mind ... :derpytongue2:

You...you brilliant mastermind. :rainbowlaugh:
At first I was like, wait, so the ponies know when they're going to die, and they're making dresses for themselves?
But then I read Pinkie's part...Excellently written, that was very misleading!

weddings...such a disgusting display of love... I wish pinkie got shot at her wedding ceremony....

anyhow, even due to my stone-cold heart, I Somehow enjoyed reading this...

2407810

Thanks, I was hoping for a good mislead.

2407988

Well, if I can bring joy to one dark devil in my career...then I have succeeded as a writer

2408098

your welcome; but it's the darkevil, not devil.

You had me going for the first few paragraphs... but then I noticed the strong lack of the word death, dying, or anything of that sort.

I'm like, "He's going to troll us with a happy ending."

And I'm glad you did so. I can't stand the mopey dopey that's come out of Alicorn Twilight lately.

Ok if anyone was watching me they would have thought I had lost it.:pinkiecrazy: I truely thought this was going to be a sad story of Twilight out living her friends. But when Pinkie spoke at first I thought, of coarse Pinkie would cheat death. But then I read on and found my brain was ready to explode. I shouted WHAT out loud a couple of times:pinkiegasp:. You really had me going there. I was ready to shed some liquid pride for a moment and then...THAT happened! All I can say is I did not see that coming.

Comment posted by ShadowWing09 deleted Apr 11th, 2013

I do like the concept of misleading us into a happy ending. That being said, intra-main six pairings are overdone, and I've never been able to see the mindset behind FlutterDash. In fact, I've never been able to understand the obsession with pairing up Rainbow Dash of all ponies with just about everybody

2408693

Too tell the honest truth...neither can I, wich is why I wrote this story

2408722

You are very welcome, I try to do my best.

:rainbowlaugh: Ha! I opened this up thinking it was going to be a sad story about Twilight having to watch her friends die. Then I actually read it, and that's not the case at all! It's a happy story about good times! :ajsmug:

Anyway, great story! It was a lot of fun to read!

2407469 Oh, why did you not include this in the fic then?^^

wow did not see that coming, well played sir, well played.

:ajsmug: Ah see what you did thar...

2409739

Need to leave some surpises

2409567

Thank you, I try

2409799

I try to keep myself ahead of the game

2410038 but its no suprise if its never revealed^^

What a twist! :trollestia HA! Nice change of pace from the usual formula.

thought it was the standard "Twilight Mourns" fic but was pleasantly surprised.

I liked this story! :pinkiehappy:

I afraid I can't like this because of the overused and annoying flutterdash. but I will admit. You had me going there.

Oh, for goodness sakes, I think I must be somewhat empty in the head to post this!

She knew that the day that she had reached her final stage in her development and became a princess that this type of day would come.

Chop it off! Chop it off with a flaming sword!

That she would soon each one of her friends go through this and she would have to watch each one every time. It was one of her duties after all, it was one that she spefically asked Celestia for.

Ahem, I specifically think this sentence (the first one, dammit!) could use some revision. Yeah.

Pinkie was the second to go, and she knew that one day, it would be Spike’s turn as well...

But I thought she had already done this three times! And isn't she going to perform the same duty hundreds of times over?

I first suspected starting from the very first paragraph. My hopes were smashed over the course of the next two paragraphs, then permanently rekindled the moment Spike started talking. I think I've gotten too used to these.

I read a related fic where the library had burned down, and Fluttershy was epicly sad about how Twilight was gone, and Celestia should've ordered a cloudy day, not such a sunny one, and yada, yada, yada...

“I know Twilight, I know. I personally have watched over several of my own friend’s ceremonies and it has never gotten easier..."

Heh, actually, up 'til this point, I was thinking immortalization, indirectly invoking sads from, you know, all that immortality stuff. Second read bashed that thought in a bit faster, with Twilight mentioning Spike.

Note that the actual subject of death was never mentioned, not once. Note it hard. Cut off thoughts also cut down on the serious atmosphere.

...her and her friends saving the day from an evil god from the old days that wanted to wipe out all will.

Is this a - no, it can't be. Immortal Game reference? Not quite sure. Hey, Alchemystudent, you read that before?

Ermahgerd:

..." Celestia said as she decided to go and watch from afar as another Element Bearer went through the next stage in their life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sighing, Twilight walked slowly to the front of the chapel

2406924
Not quite. Slice of Life indicates a single snapshot of normal life, no serious drama or problems, and when not accompanied by a Sad tag, usually isn't.

2410551

Me? A troll, never...ok yeah.

2410627

Thanks, it was a nice change for me too

2410928

I do aim to please

2411184

You are so welcome

2411262

My apologies for the flutterdash, I hoped it didnt ruin too much for your enjoyment. I'll try and do better next time

2411957

Yes, its an Immortal game reference...its my second favorite fan fic of this entire fandom. As for the rest, I think I should redo that first sentance and maybe fix up a few gammar errors here and there. Thanks for the comment

Oh my GOD you had me GOING!!:rainbowlaugh:

I actually screamed when Pinkie Pie talked, I was like "AH ZOMBIE PINKIE!!!":fluttershbad:

but then I was like :twilightblush: when I read further.

2413529

...someone thinking Pinkie was a zombie...that is probably the most unique reaction I have ever seen on this fic

Oh mah gosh... I was gettin ready to cry then I read the ending.... And I'm like what? And well....the beginning tricked meh...

My mind has been fegged... :pinkiesad2: :twistnerd: :eeyup: :trollestia: :moustache:

:ajbemused:

This story simply does not work. Twilight's attitude at the start is completely unrealistic considering what's about to happen.

That said, I do like the blatant satirical swipe at the usual "woe is me, I'm immortal!" stories that have been infesting the place lately.

Sorry, but I was never tricked, oh, sure, I was expecting the cliché, but once I read about ceremonies and all that it clicked, you weren't talking about death, you were talking about marriage, nice story I must say, it entertained me.

I am curious though as to who AJ and Rarity's husbands are...

2415990

Got to leave some surprises right?

2415989

Darn it, I thought my clever use of wordplay would trick everpony. Curses!!!!!

2415333

Ok then, I'll try better next time

2406658 It was quite a wondrous thing isn't it

i thought it was about death... ended up being a wedding.

I thought it was about death. But i was surprised when it was a wedding. Good news is that weddings are happy occasions:twilightsmile: Bad new is that i always cry at weddings :raritycry:

Great story.

Pinkie's reaction to the 'you may kiss the bride' was hilarious :rainbowlaugh: and very appropiate, I totally could see Pinkie doing that.

Great story. :pinkiesmile: It's nice to see a more upbeat view on Alicorn Twilight.

Login or register to comment