• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 1,909 Views, 236 Comments

Dysphoria, Arc 4: Summer Breeze - thedarkprep



Rose has not led an easy life, and after two near death experiences and a changeling invasion, all she wants to do is get some rest. However, destiny seems to have other plans and it all begins with a knocking at her door.

  • ...
6
 236
 1,909

7. The Trial


7. The Trial

“Wow,” Rose said. “…That’s a lot of paper.”

Dusk chuckled as he closed the door behind Rose, who was examining the layout of the hotel room. She stopped at the work desk, glancing over the notebooks, scrolls, and loose sheets of paper that covered its surface. A few stacks of envelopes were on the desk as well, as was a calendar and what appeared to be a binder, filled to the brim with more paper.

Rose took a step away from the desk, but stopped at the sound of paper being crushed.

Looking down, Rose noticed that just as much paper littered the floor as she had seen on the desk. Ripped envelopes, scrolls, and torn documents overlapped each other, rising in frequency and volume the lesser the distance to the trashcan, which was oddly empty.

Lastly, Rose noticed the bed, which was also covered in papers. However, these were stacked in ten small piles around what seemed to be a map of Equestria. Rose approached the map, which was covered in undecipherable notes and scribbles, completely unaware of the amused earth pony standing behind her.

“I know I haven’t cleaned in a while, but it’s not that impressive, is it?” asked Dusk with a sarcastic overtone.

His voice broke Rose free from her trance.

“What is all this?” asked Rose.

Dusk took a second to look around his own hotel room.

“Well, they are letters, memos, documents, reports, and notes either written by or addressed to me regarding the various projects the Equestrian Equality Envoy is currently undertaking, as well as plans for future projects and the progress on those,” Dusk explained, before breaking into a grin. “Or, as you so eloquently put it, ‘paper’.”

Rose narrowed her eyes but said nothing, instead glancing around the room again.

“It looks like you’ve been very busy, Dusk,” she said.

“You can’t be the leader of the Triple-E without keeping busy, Ms. Rose,” he said with a smile. “I told you I’m here until the end of summer working on a project, so I’m having all important mail and all important documents forwarded here so I can keep up-to-date on all workings of the group. Besides, the project I’m working on requires a lot of paperwork and planning, so most of what you see is what I’ve been doing while staying here.”

“Oh,” exclaimed Rose with mock surprise. “And here I thought you were only staying in Ponyville to stalk me.”

“Really, Ms. Rose?” he asked. “I’ll have you know that I could keep tabs on you perfectly fine from Canterlot or Manehattan. Besides, stalking you is what I do when I’m not working on my projects; you know, for fun.”

Rose raised an eyebrow in confusion, much to the earth pony’s amusement. However, he only laughed for a few seconds before his tone changed completely and his smile became less genuine.

“Well Ms. Rose, as pleasant as this is, I am fairly sure that you did not come all this way to admire my personal war against trees,” he said. “So why did you come here, and please answer with ‘I came to join the Triple-E’, if at all possible.”

Rose shook her head.

“I’m sorry Dusk, but that’s not the case,” she said. “I’ll admit that stunt with the letters instilled doubt in me, so good job on that, but I’m not here to join. I’m still not ok with your group or with being its emblem.”

The smile fell from Dusk’s face, if only for a moment.

“Well that’s unfortunate,” he said. “But then, why are you here?”

Rose took a deep breath before answering.

“Are you aware of what’s going on right now?”

“What? You mean with Summer and Dr. Theory?” he asked. “Yes. Here, give me a second.”

Dusk walked to his desk, looking at the papers on it for a second before collecting one of the notebooks on the top right corner. He then skimmed through a few of the pages before closing it and returning his attention to Rose.

“Ok so, if I paid attention correctly, a famous psychologist is in town trying to pass a law that would enforce gender identification, a law he wants to pass specifically so that Summer is not allowed to live as a transcolt despite his very accepting school teacher. As expected, you are at the forefront of this fight, playing the activist and guardian for Summer and his family,” he said with his voice projecting a smidgeon of smugness. “I must say, you’ve performed valiantly so far. That rally you and your friends pulled off in less than a week? It was one of the most amazing things I’ve seen, and I’ve organized a lot of rallies. I’m sure you have the town in your hooves by now. Too bad you couldn’t keep the momentum going today.”

Rose closed her eyes and let her head hang at the reminder of her failure. This worried Dusk who immediately began speaking in a more comforting tone.

“No no, don’t take it hard. You did great, really!” he said. “You’re just… you’re just outmatched. That counter argument would have worked on almost anypony but Dr. Theory has a lot of experience and vast resources of colleagues and studies. You’re doing all you can. There’s nothing to be ashamed of in that; you’re just out of your league on this one.”

Rose took a deep breath, causing Dusk to stammer.

“Oh, I’m probably not helping,” Dusk muttered. “Look, I don’t mean that he’s that much better than you when I say ‘you’re out of your league’. I simply mean that, well… he has done this a lot, and –“

“No, it’s ok.” Rose interrupted, turning to look at him. “You’re right. I know it, Twilight knows it, and even Cheerilee knows it, although she won’t admit it. We are completely outmatched. We don’t have enough contacts, information, research, or experience to be able to stand up to Dr. Theory, especially by tomorrow…”

Dusk made eye contact with the mare as she spoke, and he was surprised to find that there were not any signs of the defeat he had expected to find there.

“… but you do.”

Dusk seemed shocked by her statement, but allowed her to continue.

“You predicted this would happen, and you said that the reason I couldn’t see it was because I was ignorant and unprepared,” Rose said. “You have been proven right on both accounts. You’re not ignorant or unprepared though, are you? You have dealt with things like this before. You have traveled Equestria, and I’m willing to bet you would’ve seen that study coming, or at least would have known how to counter it. Am I right?”

“Perhaps,” answered Dusk.

“Not only that, but you have a whole organization on your side,” Rose continued. “An organization with information, research, and focus on precisely what we’re talking about. Dr. Theory is too far out of my league, but he’s not out of yours, is he?”

Dusk looked at the mare, thinking all the while. Eventually, he answered.

“No, he’s not.”

Rose smiled, anticipation building inside her.

“So you can help Summer, right?” Rose asked, not caring to disguise the desperation in her voice. “I’m asking you not for me, but for him. Please help him.”

Dusk remained impassive as he spoke.

“I will, but only in exchange for something.”

Rose stared wide-eyed at the statement, shock outweighing anger, but only barely.

“What do you mean in exchange for something?” she asked. “I know you and I don’t get along, but this a young transcolt’s life we’re talking about. What happened to all that talk of responsibility and duty? Don’t tell me you’re a hypocrite.”

Dusk brushed off the insult and continued in as even a tone as he could muster.

“I’m not a hypocrite; however, I have to always keep my eyes on the bigger picture,” he said. “Normally I would have gotten myself involved, free of charge, with everything my organization had at its disposal. However, you’re involved with this and this is your fight. You’re desperate, and as the leader of the Triple-E, this is not an opportunity I can afford to pass up. As such, I will grant you my help in exchange for you agreeing to the proposal I made you in regards to your involvement with my organization.”

Rose could not believe what she was hearing.

“You really want to have this conversation now?” Rose asked.

“Oh, I do, Ms. Rose,” Dusk responded, “I don’t like doing this; to me it feels like blackmail, but you have proven very problematic. Your involvement is necessary for our goals to succeed, and it will help countless in the long run. So as bad as it makes me feel to force your hoof, I can rest easier knowing that really, you forced mine.”

Rose glared at him and when she spoke, it was with barely-restrained anger staining her tone.

“What are your terms?”

“They’re simple. I’ll agree to take up the trial tomorrow in exchange for your cooperation,” he said. “You will go to the cities we tell you, make public appearances, recite speeches crafted for you, and essentially become a representative and affiliate of the Equestrian Equality Envoy.”

Rose thought through the terms, disagreeing with each one but being unable to refuse the help.

“And you’ll promise you’ll win?”

Dusk raised his eyebrow at the question.

“Oh, goodness no,” he responded. “I make no guarantees. You could’ve made such a condition before this whole thing started but now I’m coming onto a field that’s already started. I’m taking over for a player that’s already made moves against a very qualified opponent. I am merely going to do the best I can with what I’m given, give an honest effort to try to win this, nothing more. However, for me to offer my help, you have to agree to my terms whether I win or lose.”

Rose thought hard for any loophole that may be exploited or any other alternative, but in the end she found none.

“Fine,” she responded, giving a heavy sigh. “I agree to your terms. I’ll help you and your group in exchange for your help with Summer.”

A genuine smile flashed among Dusk’s face.

“Splendid!” he exclaimed. “Simply splendid. This will make things oh so much easier.”

“I’m sure,” Rose said bitterly. “So, what do we do now?”

Dusk thought for a second before responding, not once losing the smile on his face.

“Well, I have a few letters to write and a lot of reading to do,” he said. “But I think I can take care of everything before the trial tomorrow. As for you, I need you to go to Rarity’s and ask for the most formal thing she has in stock, my group will reimburse her for it. Trust me – it’s very important that you look your best tomorrow. After you’ve done that, I want you to go home and get as much rest as you can, then meet me at the town hall between 15 to 20 minutes before the trial starts, no earlier and certainly not later. Am I understood?”

Rose stared, unused to following orders, but nodded. She could see that Dusk was a pony who knew what he was doing, and she was not about to fight his leadership after what she had agreed on to ensure his involvement.

“Very well then, Ms. Rose,” he said. “If you don’t mind I’m going to have to ask you to leave now; I have a lot of work to do and would much rather not be disturbed. After all, miracles are not easy to produce.”


After what felt like a month of sleepless nights and stressful days, Rose was quite surprised to wake up rested and relaxed.

At first she dismissed it by thinking that she might still be dreaming, but after a few minutes she realized this was not the case. Cautiously she then sat up in her bed, studying her surroundings, finding the black and purple dress and matching waist jacket hanging from her closet. She eyed Rarity’s creation as memories from the previous night came back.

“I guess this is what it feels like to not have a family’s future resting on your shoulders,” Rose muttered to herself.

Rose had to admit that she was greatly relieved at having Dusk take over for her in the trial, but the relief was accompanied by a heaping serving of guilt. After all, Rose had been the one to stand up for Summer up to this point, and she could not help but feel that giving Dusk the lead was akin to passing off her problems to somepony else.

She also felt bad about the relief itself.

One family had asked her for help, and the stress of that weight had caused her sleepless nights. Dusk had mentioned how many ponies looked up to her and needed her help, and the thought of losing this peaceful moment scared her immensely.

“And yet Dusk is fine,” she thought to herself.

Dusk had agreed to take over the trial with a smile on his face. He had also said that the papers had to do with projects being carried out all over Equestria. So many ponies depended on him, and yet he smiled as if it was not a bother. Rose knew she was expected to be like him, and yet, she was not sure she could be.

“No,” she muttered to herself. “You did the right thing asking for help. It wasn’t that you couldn’t handle it, you just didn’t want to take a risk with Summer’s future.”

Even as she said it, her words felt hollow.

Rose remained in bed for a while, lost in thought before finally beginning to prepare for her day.

“Come on Rose, there’s no time to mope,” she muttered to herself. “You have a trial to attend.”

After taking a shower, Rose donned her new outfit and ate a light breakfast before heading out the door, unwilling to let her thoughts shift her focus. She may have given the reigns to Dusk, but she was still involved and the trial was not over, meaning that “distracted” was not something she could allow herself to be.

As she walked, Rose noticed that the streets were far too crowded for the time of day. Not only that, but there were a lot of ponies walking through the market square that she did not recognize, and that put her on edge. It also did not help that the crowd seemed to intensify the closer she got to the town hall.

“Oh no,” she thought. “Did something happen?”

Through great efforts Rose refrained from running, instead walking at a calm pace, towards the doors of the town hall. As she reached them, she noticed that there was a lot of noise coming from the other side. She then lifted a hoof up to the door handle, and opened the door.

To say that the inside of the town hall looked different than it did the previous day would be an understatement, as it was barely recognizable with the sheer magnitude of ponies that were settled inside.

Rose walked in, heading towards the front while marveling at the contrast in how claustrophobic the building felt whereas the emptiness had been outright oppressive the day before, stopping once or twice on her walk to watch ponies argue over a vacant seat or push their way forward for a better view.

“Over here!”

Rose’s ears perked up at hearing the voice calling to her, turning her attention to face Dusk, who was sitting at the appropriate table. She made her way over to him as quickly as she could, doing her best to ignore the glares that Dr. Theory was giving her from the next table over.

“You made it right in time,” Dusk said. “Ooh, and I like the outfit. It’ll do nicely.”

“Thank you,” Rose said. “Now, where’s Twilight? She should have been here by now.”

Dusk pointed at a space behind her. Turning around, Rose managed to spot Twilight and the rest of her friends, as well as Summer, Spring, and Timber.

“She was here when I showed up,” Dusk explained. “But there’s only room for two at this table and you’re more important to the effort than she is, no offense to her. So after I explained who I was, she respectfully went over to join her friends. Quite a good thing, too; if she hadn’t she probably wouldn’t have found a spot to sit at.”

“Yeah. Are these ponies really here for the trial?” Rose asked. “Nopony seemed that interested in this law yesterday except for those personally involved.”

“They’re not here for the trial, per se,” Dusk said. “They’re here to see a newsworthy event firsthoof, whatever it happens to be. Lesson one of public relations, Ms. Rose: where the media is, ponies will follow.”

Rose opened her mouth to ask what he meant when she was distracted by the sound of camera shutters. Turning to look to her left, she saw that the nearly empty press box from the previous day was now completely filled, with a few reporters and photographers sitting around the actual box due to the lack of room.

“Wow,” Rose exclaimed. “I didn’t think this trial would get that much coverage.”

“It wouldn’t have,” responded Dusk. “I told them to be here.”

“You did what?” Rose asked, staring at Dusk.

“I sent them an anonymous tip through letters telling them that the Triple-E was going to be involved in a trial today, assisting Evening Rose in Ponyville,” Dusk explained. “I knew that would be enough to entice editors to send reporters out here to cover the event. As to why I did it, which I suspect is your next question, it will have to wait. The trial is about to start.”

Dusk gestured at the front of the town hall where the mayor and two aides were taking their seats.

The room fell silent as the mayor began to speak.

“We are now ready to begin discussions in regards to the gender regulation petition that was approved for review yesterday. Now, Dr. Rhyme, if you please… um… yes? Mr…?”

The rooms attention slowly shifted from looking at the mayor to looking at the blue earth pony with a foreleg in the air.

“Dusk, Madam Mayor,” the pony said. “My name is Falling Dusk.”

“Ok,” the mayor said, making a note. “Well, Mr. Dusk, do you have a question?”

“Actually I do,” he responded. “You see, this is not actually a trial since nopony is being accused of anything. We are just discussing whether a law should be put in effect and why. As such, I was wondering if it would be alright if we made this a bit more informal, more like an actual discussion without the opening statements and the theatrics so we could just talk. I also happen to have some points to make that I would like to talk about which, I believe, could end this thing in record time.”

The look on the mayor’s face showed that this situation was not one she had previously dealt with. She conferred with her aides before turning to look at the psychologist.

“Dr. Theory, what do you think of this arrangement?”

“I believe it to be fine,” he responded. “Although I am curious, Mr. Dusk: who exactly are you, and why are you helping Ms. Rose?”

“Oh, you don’t know of me?” asked Dusk. “That’s a shame, but oh well. I’m the president of the Equestrian Equality Envoy, a rather large group tasked with spreading equality throughout Equestria. Ms. Rose approached me yesterday, asking for access to our findings on various studies and, after speaking to her at length, I asked her if I could come here to share my findings in order to help with this debate. Also, I happen to be a big fan of your work.”

Dr. Theory met Dusk’s smile with an uninterested stare.

“Well then, what is this research you want to share?”

“Oh, that, yes,” said Dusk while pulling papers out of a binder on the desk.

“Before I give this to you, however, there is something I want to make perfectly clear,” he said. “I agree with your position one hundred percent.”

Silence and surprise greeted his statement, especially from the rest of the ponies seated at the front, but he continued unabated.

“The safety of fillies and colts should always be the primary concern,” Dusk said. “Ensuring the future of the foals that will grow to replace us is far more important than any political agenda, grandstanding maneuver, or even our own moral plights. Regardless of how we personally feel about an action, a mindset, or in this case a system, we as adults have a responsibility to the new generations to endure injustice and to hold our tongues if it is really in their benefit. The data you presented from the reformation study presents ample evidence that a law like the one you proposed, if not the one you proposed, needs to exist, and I will in no way imply or state that you have come to the wrong conclusion or that I question your judgment. As I’ve said, I agree with your position given your findings.”

Murmurs coursed through the room, as whispered conversations and explanations for what was being said were exchanged. Rose turned to look at her friends, and found the group staring back with wide eyes and open mouths.

“I made a mistake,” thought Rose, turning to intervene, but she was cut off by a look from Dusk, who continued his speech.

“You’re a good pony, Dr. Theory, I really believe that. But you yourself admitted that there was insufficient evidence regarding transponies, and while your ability to find evidence in records long past is both ingenious and commendable, your findings are incomplete. My group and I have, however, done considerable research on the subject of transponies and Dissociate Identity Disorder, which I believe will help complete the picture.”

Dusk grabbed three packets of information from his binder, placing one on his own desk, giving one to the mayor, and giving the last one to Dr. Theory. He then returned to his own desk to continue talking.

“Those packets contain various reports and charts regarding different studies done by my organization,” he said. “Each of them is fully detailed and explained, and has been checked and filed with the Canterlot University staff to ensure their validity. If you feel like these reports are faulty, I am sure a quick check with their officials should suffice, but I assure you, everything represented here is genuine. Now, I would like you to turn to the first report.”

Dusk waited for Dr. Theory and the mayor to do so before continuing.

“The first report is simply a report on the effects of reformative therapy. You will find that the procedure was the same as the previous one, as it sought to replicate the original study. However, this one was done being mindful of the fact that transponies exist, as well as differences in upbringing and other environmental factors. In this study you will find vastly different results to the original. In fact, in every single one, reparative therapy performed extremely poorly in regards to the projected happiness of patients. That is with one exception. The study found that in circumstances of extreme disapproval and transphobic environments, transformative therapy was actually 30% more successful. This points us to conclude that it was the transphobic attitudes of the time period during which the original study took place that affected the results, not the therapy itself. Times are different now though, and we found that ‘indulgence’, as the original report referred to it, far surpassed the therapy by 60% in cases where acceptance was found and encouraged.”

“That may be the case,” said Dr. Theory. “But that is still an assumption. The original reformative therapy report cannot simply be discarded like that; if anything, this simply suggests that more research is needed. A law like the one I propose should still be put in effect until the further studies are done to prevent risk, and should a new study agree with yours, then the law could be arguably repealed.”

“Right you are,” said Dusk. “As I mentioned, I agree that the safety of the foals comes first, but-“

“Excuse me, Mr. Dusk, but could you please explain this report?” the mayor said pointing at her packet.

Dusk eyed it before answering.

“Oh, right, I was planning on getting to that next, Madam Mayor,” he said. “I would advise against skipping ahead, though; I promise I will cover everything in a succinct fashion. As for the report you mentioned, it is a study on the deaths of transgender youth and adults throughout Equestria.”

A cold chill ran through the room and the murmuring was silenced leaving only the ruffling of pages as Dr. Theory skipped ahead to the second report.

“As it turns out,” Dusk said, “Being born transgender or suffering from gender dysphoria, or “DID” as the psychologists prefer to call it nowadays, is a very hazardous thing. The data was very hard to come by, and it involved a lot of interviews with family members, reading police reports, visiting towns, and a lot of digging through files… But what we ended up with is an accurate representation of the number of afflicted youth and adults in Equestria over the past 20 years, and a figure of their mortality.”

“Mr. Dusk,” Dr. Theory called out. “You are certain that this figure is correct?”

“I’m afraid so,” Dusk responded sadly. “One out of every two ponies diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder or who identify as transgender, which is to how I will refer to them from now on, die prematurely, that is, not of natural causes.”

The room went silent again with the exception of a loud gasp. Rose looked for the source before realizing that she had made that sound herself.

“I have a 50% chance of dying prematurely,” Rose thought. Images of the past year ran through her mind and she had to fight back tears as she realized that despite it all, she had been one of the lucky ones.

“The rest of that particular report details how we found the information and the causes of death, but I will spare you the details and say that a grand number of them were suicide,” Dusk explained. “The figures for the numbers of attempted suicides is outstanding and frankly too terrifying to consider. The number of actual suicides though, while still terrible, is a number more manageable.”

Dr. Theory looked up from his packet, looking shocked and disgusted.

“How can you argue against reformative therapy if this is the reality of the condition?”

“I was getting to that,” Dusk said darkly. “If you please, turn to the third report.”

Dr. Theory complied, his eyes widening.

“Mr. Dusk, is this what I think it is?” he asked.

“It is,” Dusk replied.

Dr. Theory began to read the report, muttering to himself and becoming slightly frantic while Dusk turned to explain the report to the mayor.

“When we found this particular statistic, we were outraged, and scared, and rather emotional,” Dusk said. “But we were also curious. We had just replicated the reformative therapy study, and we wanted to know what happened to those who were studied so many years ago. The information was not hard to come by; after all, all the ponies involved had been dead for years and all we had to do was find death records and newspaper articles. What we found was that of those that did not go through the therapy, while reporting harder lives and more mental problems, died of old age, with the exception of two who were murdered and three who died of unrelated medical complications. Those who went through the therapy, however, all died from suicide.”

Dusk turned to look at the doctor, his smile gone and his tone steely despite his calm demeanor.

“You wanted to know why I opposed this law, and here it is: this law poses a possibly fatal health risk to young fillies and colts, whereas acceptance and understanding might save them. I mentioned at the beginning of this that I was a big fan of your work and I mean it. I heard you speak in Manehattan once at one of your conferences, and while there you said that you would always put the well being of a foal over your own status, ideals, or pride. I believe that you meant what you said, and I want you to prove to me right now that you did not lie to the world that day. This is no longer about you versus Ms. Rose; I have just shown you the very real danger facing colts and fillies all throughout Equestria. Please stand down, Dr. Theory. There is no shame in being wrong, but pushing onwards knowing what you know now would be reprehensible.”

Dr. Theory kept his gaze moving, shifting between looking at Dusk, reading the report in front of him, and closing his eyes. Eventually, however, he turned to look at the mayor.

“He’s right,” he said, his voice cracking under stress. “Madam Mayor, I move to remove my petition. It would be a mistake to implement such a system, and it would be a crime for the government to enforce it.”

The room stayed silent as the mayor wrote a few notes down.

“Consider it done, but I feel as if not everything has been addressed,” she said. “Mr. Dusk, there is an extra report here. Would you care to explain it?”

“Yes, Madam Mayor,” he said. “The last report is actually a continuation of the mortality one, but it focuses on something else: the transpony murder rate. You see, while a huge amount of the premature deaths in the transpony population were due to suicide, another big section was due to murders. We found that on average, one out of every twelve transponies is murdered. This is another sad but true statistic and, while there is no easy way to solve this problem, I have included a petition at the end of the packet with an idea as to how to do so.”

“An anti-bullying law centering on transgender ponies?” the mayor asked, looking at the form.

“Yes,” Dusk responded, “Prejudice is very hard to fight, but I believe that by starting at the school level we might actually be able to help future generations be more accepting. Less prejudice would mean a decrease in murders, or at least that is my belief.”

“What is wrong with a normal anti-bullying law?” the mayor asked. “We currently have a bullying law in the works to address standard bullying. Why should we make a specific law about bullying based on gender identity?”

“It’s about appearances,” Dusk said. “General laws are good, but by specifying a particular group, we are making a statement. Foals are impressionable, as I’m sure Dr. Theory can attest, and by having the group explicitly protected, the foals will learn that accepting this particular group is not only good, but it is expected. As such, a proposal for a law that singles out every group that needs protection is favorable to one that simply states that bullying is not allowed.”

The mayor turned to talk to one of her aides before addressing the psychologist again.

“Dr. Theory, do you agree with the statements Mr. Dusk has made?”

“I do, Madam Mayor,” he responded.

“Very well,” the mayor responded before turning to look at Dusk. “We will look over this new petition and contact your office for further inquiries.”

Dusk nodded.

“Until then, this meeting is adjourned.”

A chorus of voices sounded out following the mayor’s dismissal, which barely concealed the sound of cameras going off. These voices included discussions on the day’s event by the members of the crowd and the cheers and congratulations exchanged by Rose and her friends. Dusk watched the pandemonium with a smile on his face, a smile he did not lose as he was approached by the famous psychologist.

“You did very well, Mr. Dusk,” he said, shaking Dusk’s hoof. “I am glad you were here to stop me from making a horrible mistake.”

“No problem at all, Dr. Theory,” Dusk responded. “It’s been an honor to meet you.”

“The honor was mine,” Dr. Theory said, then walked away to grant a reporter an interview.

Dusk watched the doctor talk to the reporter for a minute before walking out of the town hall, closely followed by Rose.

“Hey Dusk!” she called out. “You’re not staying? I didn’t even get the chance to thank you.”

“No, I’m afraid I can’t stay, Ms. Rose,” he said, turning around. “I have a lot of work to do. This little stunt means we’ll have made every newspaper in Equestria by tomorrow and the sooner I start capitalizing on it the better.”

Rose was dumbstruck by his comment.

“This was all a photo-op to you, wasn’t it?” she said, not bothering to cover her anger. “That’s why you contacted the reporters, and why you had me dress nice… A colt’s future was on the line but you were worried about making headlines so that your group could be seen with the famous Evening Rose! Is that it?”

Annoyance flashed across Dusk’s face.

“Let me tell you something, Ms. Rose. I told you from the beginning that I have to keep my eye on the bigger picture. That’s what I’m doing, that’s what I’ve always done, and that’s what I’ll always do!” he yelled at her. “Yes, we helped a colt today, but do you have any idea of how many colts are out there in his position? This ‘photo-op,’ as you called it, means that all across Equestria ponies will hear of this victory. Transponies will know that there’s hope to be had and that somepony is fighting for them, and winning. We set a precedent today that can be used in other courts, and now everypony will know about it. Not only that, but that anti-bullying law I just introduced is something that has been getting a lot of debate in other cities, and news of what happened here will put pressure on the other judges, mayors, and city officials. This is how change happens and if I can help thousands by posing for pictures and playing the media, then so be it. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and make sure as much good comes from this victory as is possible, so I don’t have the time to sit here and justify every decision I make.”

Rose watched in silence as he began to walk away.

“Oh, and as for your agreement,” he said, glancing over his shoulder. “I have to set up a few things, but after this victory and with you on board we should be ready to move on with the project soon. I’ll be in touch.”

Dusk walked away without a second glance, leaving Rose to sit in shame with her thoughts.

Author's Note:

I said that I wanted this series to educate didn't I? Well, education is not always pretty. The 1 out of 2 statistic I quoted is actually a very real thing. I first saw it watching the CBC Newsworld documentary "The Third Sex," but it's come up at various events (such as Day of Remembrance). Right now there's a bit of controversy, in that people are arguing on whether or not that statistic is true. However, when I've heard it used it's been used to talk about suicide exclusively. As such, I can say with confidence that combining the two and adding other categories (since I say 1 in 2 dies prematurely, which includes accidental deaths and diseases), the statistic is accurate. In fact, it may even be too low a percentage, but I really don't want to think about that.

This terrified me when I found it out, and to be honest it terrifies me now. Just do me a favor and be careful out there ok?

Two notes I wanted to make:
1. Dusk was planning on getting involved anyway, and had been prepared to fight, even if Rose hadn't asked him. Which she will never find out about.
2. Dr. Theory goes off of data as objectively as possible. Therefore, I don't think he changed his mind too quickly.

See you all on Friday
-thedarkprep