• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 1,909 Views, 236 Comments

Dysphoria, Arc 4: Summer Breeze - thedarkprep



Rose has not led an easy life, and after two near death experiences and a changeling invasion, all she wants to do is get some rest. However, destiny seems to have other plans and it all begins with a knocking at her door.

  • ...
6
 236
 1,909

6. The Best Laid Plans


6. The Best Laid Plans

Rose had to admit that through most of her life, she had hardly been a shining example of a team player.

Due to her family’s status, Rose had often been expected to take an active role as a leader throughout school. Many a professor had struggled to create projects centering on group work in order to flesh out some form of cooperation from the pegasus, only to find her opting to tackle the assignments by herself. The professors would then try to coax, encourage, and threaten Rose into working with others, but they all found that they could not really force her into group activities since she kept handing in quality work. In the end everypony became accustomed to the fact that Rose worked best when left to her own devices.

Rose could have blamed this particular quirk to her paranoia. After all, teamwork relies on a certain level of trust that she would not just give to others. In the few times she had been forced to cooperate, she would find herself checking up on her teammates every step of the way, often redoing their tasks in order for them to meet her standards. And yet, she knew this was not the case. Her paranoia, after all, was not to the level where she could not collaborate with others. The honest truth was that she did not want to work with others on assignments, even if she was allowed to direct, since she had no interest in a leadership position. That was not to say, however, that just because she did not have any interest in leading, that she did not enjoy the times in which she did get to lead.

Standing in front of Rose were eleven ponies. Each of them was staring at her expectantly, surrounded by the books of Twilight’s library. They each knew the basic situation they were facing, and they were all willing to help in any way that they were able. As such, they stood at attention, waiting for any order or request with which they could begin to work. Despite the severity of the situation, Rose could not suppress a smile.

“First of all, I would like to thank you all for taking the time to come see me,” Rose said, addressing the ponies. “I knew I could count on your help but it does not mean I value it any less. Now, to the matter at hoof. Twilight told me she filled you all in on what’s going on when she asked you to meet us here, but I’m going to go ahead and explain things so we’re all on the same page.”

The eleven ponies nodded.

“Yesterday I was visited by a psychologist by the name of Dr. Theory. He, acting on behalf of some concerned parents around Ponyville, is taking action against Summer, his parents, and myself, due to us encouraging him to live as a colt. Taking action in this case means going to the mayor’s office and filing various petitions asking for me to be removed from the town, for Summer to be separated from his parents, and for Summer to be forcibly recognized as a filly or mare in a legal and public standpoint. He also went as far as to threaten me in order to keep me from interfering, but standing by while he ruins a young colt’s life is not something that I believe is an option at this point.”

She paused to make sure everyone was still with her, smiling at the nods of agreement.

“I don’t fully know what Dr. Theory has already done, nor do I know how his actions have been received,” Rose explained, “Twilight will be filling me in on the details after this meeting is done. However, regardless of what happens, there are a few things we can do to undermine him and any opposition that might threaten Summer and his family. This is where you all come in.”

Rose took a deep breath as she made eye contact with those present.

“Twilight and I will fight through legal channels. We will do research, have meetings with the mayor, and if need be attend at trial in order to fight Dr. Theory and his claims. However, a legal victory will only get us so far. If we are to ensure this does not happen in Ponyville again, we are going to need public support, which up to recently I did not realize we lacked,” Rose said. “As such, we are going to have an event at the end of the week, an Information Campaign. On the surface it will just be an event to educate the town on trans-related matters, an awareness rally of sorts. However, it will also provide the perfect opportunity to directly respond to certain claims and fears that concerned ponies may have. If we address them now, then Dr. Theory will lose his support when he needs it most. This means that this event will be just as important as any legal battles Twilight and I undertake, and for it to work I am going to need everypony’s help.”

Every pony in the library nodded in agreement.

“In this list,” Rose said, gesturing to a notebook she was holding. “I have already assigned the necessary tasks to the ponies I feel can accomplish them best. After I give you your assignment you are free to leave for the day.”

Rose looked at the list.

“Cheerilee,” she said, turning to look at the teacher. “We will probably need your help the most. As a prominent teacher in Ponyville you are a central figure in this. You have interacted with the foals, with their parents, and one of Dr. Theory’s petitions is specifically designated to keeping you from standing up for Summer as you have already done. Your experience and opinions are therefore invaluable. Not only that, but your knowledge of developmental psychology and teaching will help us a lot with not only making our case, but helping us present it. If you would please go over with Twilight to the back, she will begin to tell you exactly what we have in mind and how you can help. I will join you two after I finish giving out instructions.”

Cheerilee nodded, walking over to Twilight. The two then headed to the back of the library where they could talk without disturbing the others. Rose waited for a minute before addressing the remaining ponies.

“Next, Fluttershy,” Rose said, with the shy pegasus shaking slightly at the mention of her name. “This event is going to be very stressful and taxing for all of us, and Dr. Theory’s actions will be even more so. However, as hard as it will be for us, it will be nothing compared to what Summer and his family have to go through. I talked to them today before heading here, and they are already a bit shaken up by Dr. Theory’s threats. I have assured them that they will be ok, and they did seem a bit calmer by the time I left, but I know that they will need an extraordinary amount of support and kindness to get them through what’s to come. Can I count on you to make sure they’re ok over the next week?”

Fluttershy blinked a few times before taking a deep breath and closing her eyes. Rose, in turn, waited patiently for her to gather her thoughts and come up with a response. She knew to expect Fluttershy to be a bit hesitant to get involved, and so Rose prepared in her mind a list of encouraging words to try to get her to agree. However, when Fluttershy finally opened her eyes, it was neither fear nor self-consciousness that could be found there, but determination.

“I will do my best Rose,” Fluttershy said. “I can’t promise that I can make sure they’re ok, but nopony should have to suffer through what they’re going through, and I promise to try my best to help them.”

Rose smiled.

“That’s all I can ask for,” she said, ripping a corner from the page in her notebook she was looking at. “This is their address. Feel free to stop by at your convenience. They’re not expecting you per se, but I did tell them that I would probably have a friend come and check on them, to which they said that my friends are welcome any time.”

Fluttershy timidly took the paper before saying goodbye and walking out of the library. Rose turned back to her list.

“Vinyl, Lyra, and Pinkie,” she said, at which point the three ponies stopped whispering amongst themselves and turned to face her.

“Twilight, Cheerilee, and I are going to take care of the information part of the event and I have plans for combating the fears and claims of Dr. Theory and the more transphobic members of the community have been making,” Rose explained. “But in order for this to work, this has to be an event that everypony goes to, whether they’re already for our cause or not.”

Rose paused for a second, looking for a way to phrase her thoughts.

“It will be good if those who don’t hate me, Summer, or his parents show up, because they will learn things. However, that’s not the point of this,” she said. “The point is to convince those who stand against us that they have no reason to do so. I don’t see those ponies coming to an event on something they disagree with though, and that’s where you three come in.”

Rose gestured at them.

“You three are some of the most liked, most well known, most charismatic ponies I know,” Rose said. “Each of you has tons of friends and each of you knows how to put an event together. What I need you three to do is to work together and to create an event that everypony in Ponyville will want to attend, regardless of their stance on this. We will have information pamphlets to distribute, and we will need a stage on which we can have public speakers, which must be a part of the event. The event also needs to reflect what we’re fighting for and make a statement. However, outside of those restrictions, you three can do whatever you want. I trust your judgment. This means that music, entertainment, promotion, and everything else is up to you three. You don’t even have to run it by me, just please remember that this is for Summer and that he and his family are depending on us to make a strong case for them.”

The three ponies saluted at Rose.

“This is going to be so much fun!” said Lyra grinning.

“I will make the party to end all parties!” exclaimed Pinkie.

Vinyl smiled and allowed herself a small chuckle.

“I hope you realize what you’re doing by letting us three work together on this,” she said, looking at Rose. “We cannot be held responsible for what our combined level of awesome can do.”

Rose giggled.

“I am fully aware,” she said. “And we’ll deal with any cataclysms resulting from your party when we get there. You have six days. Make me proud.”

The three saluted again before walking out of the library.

“I’ll be at Sugarcube Corner if you need me, ok?” Lyra said, looking at one of the ponies still in the library.

“That’s fine,” Bon Bon said. “I’ll head over there once I get my assignment.”

Lyra waved before leaving, closing the door behind her. Rose in turn looked at the remaining ponies.

“Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Derpy,” Rose said, turning her attention to each one as she spoke. “How do you four feel about this whole thing?”

The four ponies looked confused at the question.

“I’m sorry,” said Derpy. “I don’t think I get what you’re asking.”

Rose smiled.

“Then I’ll have to do a better job explaining,” she said.

Rose then took a deep breath as she gathered her thoughts.

“Each of you has a filly that will be in Summer’s class,” Rose explained. “For Applejack and Rarity it is a sister, for Rainbow Dash it is an adopted sister, and for you, Derpy, it is your daughter. I want to know: what do you each feel about a transcolt being in the classroom?”

The four ponies looked at each other, unsure of who was supposed to start. Eventually Applejack took the lead.

“Well, I don’t have a problem with it,” said Applejack. “Ever since I’ve known you, you’ve been nothing but a trustworthy and dependable friend. You being trans ain’t got nothing to do with your character, and I don’t think Summer being trans will have anything to do with his either.”

“I must agree with Applejack,” Rarity said. “I would have to be mad in order to have a problem with it. Watching over Sweetie Bell as often as I have has shown me that there is nothing more important than ensuring her happiness. Summer’s parents should be commended for encouraging their son, not reprimanded. If anyone needs an example of how proper a citizen a trans individual can be, all they need to do is look at you. I personally think Sweetie Bell will be better for having a chance to interact with someone like Summer.”

“Yeah,” said Rainbow. “This is like that Zecora thing all over. You’re our friend, so you know that I don’t have a problem with Scootaloo being in the class, but even if we weren’t, there’s nothing wrong with being around ponies that are different than you! Zecora proved that; the buffalo proved that; even Pinkie proves that!”

“And you, Derpy?” Rose asked.

Derpy thought hard for a minute before answering.

“I’m trying to look at this objectively,” Derpy said. “Looking at what I would think if you and I weren’t friends. But even if I had never met you, I can’t imagine teaching my filly that there are certain ponies that it is ok to shun. Dinky has been taught that she should give everypony a chance, and even if I disagreed with Summer’s parents, I would be setting a bad example by making an exception.”

Rose nodded.

“So none of you have a problem with your daughters or sisters hanging out with Summer?” Rose asked. “Not afraid that they might be too impressionable, or might not understand or anything?”

Applejack laughed.

“Sugarcube, if Applebloom hasn’t been affected by her ‘impressionable nature’ by now, I doubt she’s going to from hanging out with Summer,” she said. “That filly still talks about you like you were the best thing to happen to the farm.”

“I was actually already talking to Dinky about being friends with Summer once the school year started,” Derpy added. “I figured he might need some friends and Dinky was excited at the idea.”

“Same here,” Rarity said. “Sweetie Bell is simply ecstatic at the idea of another Crusader! If I hear correctly, the three of them recently amended their constitution to include colts in preparation, did they not?”

“They did,” answered Rainbow Dash. “Scootaloo has been talking about how this could be the push the club needs to increase membership and some other stuff. I’m not really sure what she said after that, but she seemed happy.”

“And should they have any questions,” added Rarity. “We are always here to answer them as any responsible sibling or parent should do.”

The other three ponies nodded in agreement.

“Good. Well, here’s your assignment then,” Rose said. “The first part was simply to encourage your respective fillies to try to become friends with Summer. Even if we get everything sorted out before the school year starts, I have a feeling he’ll need support, which, with being new, might be hard to come by. I’m glad to know that Summer already has four prospective good friends he can depend on. Now for the second part.”

Rose took a deep breath.

“I want you four, and possibly your fillies, to be speakers at the event.”

A silence followed her statement as the four ponies made sense of what she said.

“Pardon Rose, but it sounded like you just said that you want us to be speakers at your event,” Applejack said. “I know, ridiculous, right? But I’m pretty sure I wasn’t the only one that heard it, so… could you run that by us again?”

The rest of the ponies nodded.

“I want you four, and possibly your fillies, to be speakers at the event.”

The four looked at each other.

“Oh my, you’re serious, aren’t you?” asked Rarity.

“Yes,” Rose responded. However, the other four continued to stare at her.

“Look, Twilight and I will be speaking as well, but we really need your perspective on this. We need your voices on that stage.”

“Why?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“I can give information about transponies and Twilight can give information from the perspective of a friend, but you can give the perspective of guardians,” Rose said. “Part of the problem is that parents of foals from that class are against Summer being allowed as a colt. Your perspective as fellow parents and guardians matters a lot more than mine to them. If a change in perspective is going to happen, it will be because of your words, not mine.”

The four stood in silence taking in the statement. Slowly each of them seemed to come to terms with what was being asked of them.

“What do you need us to do?” asked Derpy with a determined look in her eyes.

“I want you to talk to your fillies, and based on what they say and based on what you feel, I want you to write a speech about your take on this whole thing.” Rose explained. “It should be something heartfelt and genuine, and it should be your thoughts and emotions. When I spoke about the ‘addressing the fears and concerns of the public’ objective, it is you who I had in mind. The entire plan revolves around giving you time on stage, so make it count.”

The four ponies stood in silence for a minute, unsure of what to say.

“Very well,” said Rarity, taking the lead. “I guess I should go talk to Sweetie Bell now; after all, we would do best to get started on this as soon as possible, wouldn’t you agree?”

“Yeah,” Rose said. “And once again, thank you.”

The four ponies nodded as they left the library.

Rose then took a deep breath and turned to look at the final volunteer.

“So, what do you need me to do?” asked Bon Bon.

Rose was silent for a minute before speaking.

“Bon Bon, what do you make of this whole thing?”

Bon Bon shrugged her shoulders.

“Pretty much the same thing they said,” Bon Bon responded. “You’re a very good friend of mine and I don’t think discriminating against somepony who is trans is right.”

“And what about Summer?”

“I’ll admit that I did think he was a bit young,” said Bon Bon. “But that’s no reason to try to rip him from his family, no reason to banish you from Ponyville, and certainly not a good enough reason to single him out through legal trials and petitions.”

Rose nodded, a smile forming on her lips.

“Great,” Rose said. “I’m glad to hear that. As for your assignment, I want you to be a speaker as well.”

This took Bon Bon aback.

“Why me?” she asked. “The others I could understand because they have fillies to look out for, but I don’t. My perspective is just that of a friend.”

Rose shook her head.

“No Bon Bon,” she said. “your perspective is actually the most important out of all them, and it is very unique from every other one in our group of friends.”

Bon Bon stared with confusion in her eyes.

“Right now you’re talking about how it is wrong to discriminate against somepony who is trans, and how ponies should be more accepting; but you did not always think like that, did you?”

Bon Bon’s eyes widened for a second before closing them. Rose continued.

“The rest of our friends accepted me with almost no incident, but you outright hated the idea of me at first,” Rose explained. “This doesn’t make you a bad pony, it just means that you had to know me first to quell some of your concerns. You weren’t hateful, but you didn’t accept me with open hooves. This makes you different, and it makes you important.”

Rose took a deep breath before continuing.

“I don’t like gambling Summer’s wellbeing and the possible success of the event on this point, but I have a feeling that a lot of the disapproving parents are just like you were,” Rose said. “I don’t think they’re spiteful or transphobic, just scared. This is something new to them and they don’t understand it. You can speak for them, reach them in a way none of our friends could or I could, because you’ve been there before. You’ve had doubts about this trans thing, and you gave me a chance, and you learnt things, and now it’s not even an issue you think about. I want you to share your experience, Bon Bon, so that others may learn from it.”

Bon Bon stood in silence as she thought over the proposal. After a minute she nodded.

“I’ll do it Rose,” she said. “I’ll make sure that others don’t make the mistakes I almost made.”

“Thank you Bon Bon,” Rose responded. “Thank you so much.”

The two exchanged a hug before Bon Bon said her goodbyes and left to find Lyra at Sugarcube Corner. Rose walked her out, closing the door once Bon Bon had started walking away from the library.

Rose then walked to the back of the library where Twilight and Cheerilee were engaged in a whispered conversation. The two stopped when they noticed the new pony join them.

“Does everyone have their assignments already?” asked Twilight.

“They do now,” said Rose. “How go things over here?”

“I just finished filling in Cheerilee on what the plan is, what you assigned each volunteer, and on what we need to be prepared for,” Twilight said. “Speaking of, there have been new developments you might want to know about.”

“Oh, news already?” asked Rose. “Do tell.”

Twilight levitated a notebook over to herself, flipping through pages before resting on a specific one.

“The first thing you should know is that the petitions filed by Dr. Theory to have you exiled from the town under charges of being dangerous to impressionable foals and to separate Summer from his family due to negligence have both been denied an audience by the mayor’s office. However, his third petition, the one urging for ponies to be forcibly legally recognized by their gender in government and public institutions, has been granted a hearing for his requested date of one week from now,” said Twilight. “That means that one week from today the mayor and two of her aides will hear Dr. Theory and his side of things, as well as any opposition to his claims, in order to judge whether or not the claim is legitimate enough to warrant a trial. Should we fail to make a good enough case against him, then the trail would take place the next day; but if we can undermine him at the audience, then the whole issue will be thrown out without having to go to a trial.”

“Good thing we’re focusing our efforts on that then,” Rose said. “Any word from Princess Celestia?”

“Oh right!” said Twilight, levitating a scroll towards herself. “I almost forgot: she sent this in earlier today. It’s not good news though.”

Twilight gave the scroll to Rose who began to read it in silence. Meanwhile, Twilight continued to talk.

“She essentially said that she cannot use her influence to help us with this, nor can she just institute rules without the consent of the populous. Despite being a monarch she prefers to leave this kind of lawmaking and social issue to the cities and towns to decide. That’s not to say that she’s willing to let them do whatever they want; apparently she discreetly sabotages any attempts to have members of the LGBT community treated like criminals, but she cannot outright force ponies to be accepting. She does wish us luck, though. She says she’s behind us in spirit, especially after the changeling incident. I’m not exactly sure what she means, but yeah…”

Rose finished reading the letter.

“I’m sure she meant the press conference my parents made due to my appearance during the attack,” Rose said, a little too quickly. “In any case, it’s a shame she can’t help us, but at least it’s good to know that she wouldn’t allow extreme persecution to become a legal practice.”

“So what do we do now?” asked Cheerilee.

Rose thought for a moment.

“Well, first things first: we should probably go tell Summer and his family what’s going on,” Rose said. “I’m sure Spring and Timber will love to hear that they’re no longer in danger of losing their son, and they should probably be made aware of our plan. After that we should each go back home. We will begin doing research and preparing both our arguments and the pamphlets tomorrow. In six days we speak at the Information Event, and the day after that, we fight.”

Twilight and Cheerilee nodded and the three mares left the library, each hoofstep heavy under the weight of the task ahead.


Out of all the ways to wake up, being awoken by a pounding at the door was not one of Rose’s favorites.

Rose had been having a very vivid dream when the pounding started. Each knock reverberated through the house and in her skull as she tried to muffle the impact with pillows and covers, all to no avail. Rose then turned to look at her clock, noticing that she still had a while before she needed to be awake, after which she covered her head with her covers trying to recapture the dream. It was to no avail; her dream was too far out of reach and sleep was nowhere to be found. Still, she figured she at least had the right to refuse to answer the door.

“Wake up, sleepyhead!”

Rose turned around in a panic to find Rainbow Dash standing in her room next to the open window.

“They would send you, wouldn’t they…” asked Rose rather irritably.

“Yeah, Twilight had a feeling you weren’t going to open the door so she sent me to look for you,” Rainbow responded. “She wants you there really early – something about not resting on your laurels or something like that. Now get up!”

Rainbow began flapping her wings, using the wind to pull the bed covers off of Rose.

“Fine, fine! I’m up!” yelled Rose in a panic, much to Rainbow’s amusement.

“Go wait downstairs while I get ready, ok?” said Rose.

“Ok,” responded Rainbow as she sped out of the room.

Rose’s gaze followed the cyan blur for a second before she allowed a deep sigh to escape her lips.

“This is going to be a long day.”

After a quick shower and a hurried breakfast, the two ponies began to make their way down to the town hall, with Rainbow Dash soaring in the sky, doing tricks and maneuvers while keeping Rose’s pace.

Rose in turn stared jealously at the carefree pegasus above her. She had expected to be in a good mood today, full of confidence and energy after the successful Information Campaign the day before. True to their word, Vinyl, Lyra, and Pinkie had created an event nopony would resist. The music was loud, the ambience was inviting, and everypony was there. On top of that, all the speeches had been well received and all the pamphlets had been taken up. By the end of the event, Rose could not help but notice that nopony was glaring at her anymore; the public was on their side. And yet, try as she may, all she could feel that morning was worry.

She knew it was irrational to worry at this point. After all, getting the public on their side had only been one of the many accomplishments the group had managed that week. Another one lay in the great amount of research that Cheerilee, Twilight, and Rose had done. True, there wasn’t much concrete data, but the combined knowledge base of both Twilight and Cheerilee had made that an easy obstacle to overcome.

Rose glanced at her saddlebag, which she knew contained the combined efforts of the past week.

“So why am I scared?” she thought to herself.

Before she had the time to think through that thought, however, the two ponies had arrived at the Town Hall. Taking a deep breath, Rose opened the door.

There were far fewer ponies than Rose had expected to see, which brought her a bit of comfort. The spectator area was pretty much empty except for her friends and a few extra ponies. At the front Rose could see the mayor sitting next to two ponies she did not recognize. Off to the side, Rose could see a press area, occupied by a single newspaper writer.

In the middle of the room, there were two tables separated by an aisle. At one table sat Twilight Sparkle, who was waving her over. On the other table sat Dr. Theory, who was leveling Rose with a cold glare.

Rose waved goodbye to Rainbow Dash before making her way to sit next to Twilight. The two then whispered amongst themselves, reviewing their talking points and predicting Dr. Theory’s claims.

Time passed with only a few extra ponies arriving before the mayor called the session to order.

“As the mayor of Ponyville, it is my duty to call this audience to session,” said the mayor. “We shall now hear a declaration on why we should consider the proposition to establish and enforce a law stating that in regards to government and public services, the citizens of Ponyville should be classified by their birth gender. Dr. Theory, you have the floor.”

Dr. Theory nodded, getting up from behind the desk and walking to stand in front of the mayor.

“As the kind mayor just said, my name is Dr. Theory, and I am a specialist in developmental psychology. The law I am proposing is a simple and rudimentary law that should in no way disrupt the everyday workings of the citizens of Ponyville, but will ensure that order and safety prevail nonetheless. From birth every foal in Equestria is classified as either a male or a female. This is something that is not contested and it is a basic regulation system that is commonplace in our everyday lives. Restrooms are separated by gender, as are prisons, as are clothing sections, and as are plenty of other things. When getting a job the question of which gender one is is often asked, the same question that is asked when obtaining a license or joining the guard. The fact that there is an inherent difference between those who are male and female, and the use of gender as a distinguishing factor, is so engrained that no one thinks of it anymore. What I’m proposing is that we take the system which we have all known all our lives, the system that runs our government offices, and our schools, and Equestria, and that we make it officially binding. Now, you may ask yourself, ‘if it is such a stable system, why should we enforce or protect it?’ Well, because for the first time in ages, that system is being challenged.”

Dr. Theory took a pause, turning to look at Rose as he continued.

“Some will tell you that the system is flawed. It is not. They will tell you the lines between genders are blurry. They are not. And they will tell you that one should be allowed to live one’s life as the gender one chooses. Again, I say, one should not. Now, that is not to say that we should force conformity upon those who disagree. A grown mare, like my opposition for example, can make her own choices and live her life as she wishes. However, we have a responsibility as public servants, both as citizens and as officials, to enforce the basic rules of ponykind, even if only for the sake of keeping our system running. The government is part of the public sphere, and it should enforce the laws of nature in dealing with the populous. Should a trans stallion be arrested, we would be doing that pony a disservice by putting him in a prison with his chosen gender. It would be dangerous and irresponsible. We would also be doing a disservice to the public, lest we forget that prisons are gender-segregated for a reason.”

He turned to look at the mayor again.

“You may also ask, why now? What makes this so urgent? My response to that is simple: times are changing fast, forcing us to deal with situations that a few years ago we would have believed unthinkable. Things that everypony took for granted now have to be enforced, and it has to be quick because this change threatens to corrupt the foundations of this town and all others like it. Right now, there is a filly in this town that thinks she is a colt due to a condition from which she suffers. This belief has been praised and nurtured by her parents, who were misadvised by someone who agrees with them. And now the school system, a government-owned public service, is threatening to further the damage by complying with this idea of tolerance over treatment. Our duty should make it so that we do not allow this wrong to continue under government employ. As such, this petition must be passed.”

Dr. Theory returned to his desk while the mayor wrote down a few notes. She then turned to look at Rose.

“Do you have a response?”

“Yes I do, madam,” Rose said, stepping up from behind her desk to stand where Dr. Theory had been standing minutes before. After taking a deep breath, she began.

“Dr. Theory is right in suggesting that the world is changing, and that change is coming fast. New ideas come by every day, and new developments change the scope of the land and the culture of its society. These changes, however, are not something to be feared. They are to be welcomed. In recent years we have seen the development of mixing amongst the populous; we have also seen a rise in same-sex relationships, new diplomatic avenues with foreign powers, and the rise of harmony and of a diarchy. These are things that struck the populous as new, and yet the world is better for them. Granted, that is a subjective view, but we can at least agree that nopony is currently trying to stop progress in those fields from happening. This is no different.

Gender has been used as a dividing system for categorizing ponies since birth, but that does not mean it is a flawless system, nor the right one. I am not here to argue that we should abolish or modify the gender system, as much as I would want to; rather, I am arguing that if this system is as ironclad as Dr. Theory would have us believe, it should be allowed to stand by itself rather than having it be written into law. If it stands, then things will continue as they are. If it falls, it will allow for a different system, one more comprehensive to the needs of the changing world, to take over.

The last point I want to contest is the one where Dr. Theory assures us that it is the government’s civic responsibility to intervene in cases such as the one of Summer Breeze, to which he alluded. He mentioned that the foal is in danger due to being allowed to live in his identified gender. However, this is nothing but hearsay and speculation. While Dissociative Identity Disorder is classified as a disorder with various extreme symptoms, there is not enough research done on transponies or the disorder in general to add weight to the statements. If Summer were in fact in danger, proven danger, then yes, it would be the government’s job, as a public service, to intervene. However, since the panic-riddled speech of Dr. Theory lacks any substance, approving his petition would be presumptuous at best, reprehensible at worst.”

The mayor nodded as Rose went back to her table.

“Do you have a response to that, Dr. Theory?”

“Yes I do Madam Mayor,” Dr. Theory said, pulling out some files but remaining behind his desk.

“My opposition mentioned that she would agree with my proposal if it had backing in regards to the dangers such a disorder poses for the foal. Is this correct?” he asked Rose.

“No,” replied Rose coldly. “What I said was that if you actually had backing then the idea would be worth exploring in an actual trial. I would still disagree with your proposal, but it would be worth looking at, and it is certainly not worth it right now.”

“Oh, right,” said Dr. Theory, barely concealing a grin. “Well, in that case all I have to do is provide some substance, right? As such, I would like to bring up the Reformative Therapy Study of Vanhoover. This study proves that the condition now known as Dissociative Identity Disorder is in fact a very dangerous condition which causes self-hatred, self-mutilation, depression, and thoughts of suicide. The disease, where tolerated, resulted in 40% of candidates being unable to adapt to a regular life and suffering from depression and other afflictions for the rest of their lives. However, of those who underwent reformative therapy, only 10% had continued problems into adulthood. A 30% difference is no small figure, and while 40% may seem like a small percentile, it is still far too high for me to feel comfortable risking the wellbeing of a young filly.”

Rose could only stare in shock, causing Twilight to intervene.

“That’s impossible,” Twilight said. “We did research and there has been no such study done on transgender individuals.”

Dr. Theory chuckled.

“You are quite right, Ms. Sparkle,” he said. “But they were not known as that back then, nor was DID a disorder recognized by the field. These were studies done on patients thought to be suffering from multiple personality disorder or homosexuality. However, the study was very detailed and a trained professional can look over the patient notes in the study and properly diagnose them. The results still apply, even if the affliction was misnamed.”

One of the aides whispered something to the mayor, who in turn addressed Twilight and Rose.

“Have you a counter argument?”

Rose and Twilight looked at each other with fear in their eyes before turning to address the mayor.

“No, Madam Mayor,” Rose said, her voice cracking. “We do not.”

The mayor made a note on her paper.

“Very well then. We find based on the presented information that there is enough in the claim to warrant an actual trial. I expect both groups to meet tomorrow at the same time, ready to discuss the possible implementation of the proposed law. This hearing process is concluded.”


Rose was walking back home from Twilight’s library at night. She had opted to walk alone, rather than being accompanied by Vinyl or Pinkie, to try to calm her mind in silence. However, silence would not come. Instead, Rose found herself plagued by the echoes of her friend’s voices.

The defeat had been a hard one to take for Twilight and Rose both. They had been so sure that they were ready for the challenge that they could not help but to take the failure personally.

“It’s ok, Rose,” Timber had said. “You’re doing more than we could hope for already. I’m sure you’ll get him tomorrow, but if not, we’ll manage. Don’t feel like this is your fault.”

It was curious that Timber, Spring, and Summer had been so adamant about trying to cheer her up, considering that they were the ones in danger. Of course, they were not the only ones.

“Don’t worry, Rose, that creep just caught you off guard. I’m sure after we look at that report we’ll be able to find something,” Cheerilee had said.

Despite her best efforts to hide it, Cheerilee had been very scared. Even as she said it, she must have known that they would not be able to fight Dr. Theory’s study. They did not have the resources, or the time to do so. Cheerilee understood exactly how hopeless this fight was, but she felt the need to push Rose on.

“Maybe it’s easier for her to deal with the reality if I’m still standing,” Rose thought to herself.

Not everyone had been tactful of the situation, however.

“Wow, you guys got whooped!” said Rainbow Dash. “Don’t get me wrong, you did really well. I really thought you had him with your response the first time, but you two were totally outmatched, huh?”

Rainbow had received a dozen exasperated glares due to that comment, but Rose could not help but agree with her.

“We were completely outmatched,” she muttered to herself.

Rose’s house was now visible but she walked on by, unwilling to be home alone with her thoughts. Instead she continued walking into the town, stopping by the mayor’s office and the town hall.

“We were outmatched today,” she whispered. “And we’ll be outmatched tomorrow. And it will be Summer who suffers for my incompetence.”

Rose collapsed right there on the street out of pure grief. She had tried her best and failed. Everyone had counted on her but it had not been enough, and now there was nothing she could do.

Rose wiped her eyes with her hooves. When she stopped she found that she was not looking at the mayor’s office, but the building next to it. She immediately got up, feelings forgotten, as a thought sent her mind racing.

“It’s a long shot,” she thought. “But maybe…”

Without a further thought, Rose rushed into the building, arriving at the second floor.

“209… 211… 213!” she said, arriving at the proper door. She took a deep breath and knocked.

“Please be here, please be here, please be here…” she thought to herself.

Rose’s heart stopped as the doorknob began to move and the door swung open.

“Ah, Ms. Rose. Can’t say I was expecting you. Did you finally see reason?”

Author's Note:

So this chapter was a big one.
I thought of splitting it into two chapters, but I felt like either half (before and after the information rally) wasn't complete enough on it's own. Also, I didn't write the information rally on purpose (can anyone say one-shot?)

Also, the stuff with Theory is actually a representation of how things used to be examined. One thing you should know about statistics is that they'll almost always say what you expect them to through the right filter. Remember that, it'll come up again.

In any case, what did you think? I'm actually rather nervous about how this one and the next one will be received, but the last few times I've been nervous, you have all loved the chapters in question, so.. there's that.

See you Monday.
-thedarkprep