• Published 16th Apr 2013
  • 1,909 Views, 236 Comments

Dysphoria, Arc 4: Summer Breeze - thedarkprep



Rose has not led an easy life, and after two near death experiences and a changeling invasion, all she wants to do is get some rest. However, destiny seems to have other plans and it all begins with a knocking at her door.

  • ...
6
 236
 1,909

2. The Filly from Baltimare

2. The Filly from Baltimare

The night shone with magnificence and splendor, unwatched over the city of Baltimare. The city itself was not a small one, rivaling Manehattan and Canterlot both in population and scope. However, it was an older city with traditional values and old customs. As such, while the other two cities developed an avid nightlife over the years, the streets of Baltimare were empty under the soft cover of moonlight accompanied only by the echoes of the tender breathing and snores that could be heard from each house. All of Baltimare was asleep, with one small exception.

Inside one of the houses there was a small filly that had yet to go sleep. She had originally been confined to her room, but now she stood staring at a door down the hall of her two-story home. Her ragged breath sounded gently through the house as she continued her vigil. Every so often she would lift her hoof to knock. However, hesitation would halt her, and she would bring her hoof down to her side before collapsing into a puddle of whimpers and tears. This process repeated a few times, and each time she would immediately try to calm down, for fear of waking anyone up. She would then try to gather her courage for another attempt.

The filly raised her hoof again, taking a deep breath, and instead of knocking she grabbed the handle and soundlessly opened the door.

The room that greeted her was dark and indiscernible, but she had enough experience within it to know where to go. As quietly as she could, she snuck to the foot of the bed, stopping once or twice after a particularly loud creak of the floorboards to regain her composure and listen for sounds of someone waking. Once she reached the foot of the bed, she stood, gathering her courage once more to do what she came to do.

She noted that it became harder to breathe the longer she waited, and a few more tears loosed themselves as the beating of her heart became louder and louder in her ears. Soon, she could feel herself shaking and twice she looked over at the open door, pushing herself to leave, or to speak, or to do anything. She found herself unable.

In the end, however, she managed to find her voice.

“Mommy? Daddy?”

Her heart stopped its restless beat as the figures before her began to stir. Still, it seemed that despite her voice sounding to her like the cracking of glass tearing through the night silence, it had been too quiet to properly awaken the sleeping beings. As such, she tried again.

“Mommy? Daddy? We need to talk.”

This time, the two adults on the bed stirred awake, gazing around the room for the source of the noise. The darkness concealed her though. The mother charged her magic, letting the glow from her horn illuminate the room with a lavender glow. With the help of the dim light, the parents looked for their daughter, letting a soft gasp escape their lips as they found her staring at them.

The filly’s mane was unkempt and she was shaking slightly, but that was not what had worried them, as she had probably just woken up and it was a cool night for summer. No, what worried them were the tear stains on her cheeks, reflecting the light from her mother’s horn.

“Sweetie, what’s wrong?” asked her father while her mother lifted the filly with her magic, placing her in between her two parents.

The filly stayed silent for a while and then began to take deep breaths. After a bit of this, and much to her parent’s concern, she began to cry.

“I’m a colt,” she sobbed. “It’s like that mare we were talking about, I’m like that too. I always have been, and now you two are going to hate me and say mean things about me like everypony else!”

The two parents stared at each other with wide eyes as the filly between them wept. Their brains struggled to connect all the pieces and worry began to slip into their minds. However, a particularly loud cry from their daughter snapped both adults from their thoughts. Despite the confusion caused by this outburst, they had something more immediate to attend to.

“No no, shhhhh,” said the mother softly. “It’s ok baby, don’t cry.”

“Yea honey, it’s ok,” said the father. “We’re not going to hate you and we’re not going to say anything mean, ok? We love you.”

Their daughter stopped weeping for a moment.

“You mean it?” she asked.

“Yes we mean it,” said the mother. “We love you very much and we’re going to figure this out ok? So please don’t cry.”

“Right now you need to sleep,” said the father, hugging his daughter close. “But in the morning we’re going to talk about this and everything’s going to be ok. I promise.”

The filly sniffled a little before muttering, “Ok.”

The room became more peaceful as the filly’s whimpers became soft breathing, which then became snoring. All the while, her parents held her close, drying her tears and whispering soft words of comfort to the sleeping filly. Soon the room was peaceful, dark, and quiet, at least until the mother charged her magic again.

Under the soft glow, the two parents examined their daughter, making sure she was asleep before leaving the bed and then the room. They proceeded to head down the stairs in absolute silence, each taking a seat in the living room.

“Oh Timber, what are we going to do?” asked the mom.

Timber looked at her with a worried gaze, thinking hard before answering.

“I don’t know ok?” he responded. “Look, it’s probably just a phase. Fillies are very impressionable at this age and between that newspaper article and all those questions she asked us…” he let his sentence drift off.

“Look, it will probably pass,” he finished.

The mother continued to sob in her seat.

“You don’t think we did something wrong, did we?” she asked. “Telling her about transponies and answering her questions? Did we cause this? Did I?”

“No no,” said Timber sternly as the unicorn began to cry. “Spring, look at me.”

It took a while but the mare complied, tears still filling her gaze.

“You are a great mother,” Timber said. “We did nothing wrong. She was going to have questions after all the town has been saying. We would’ve been wrong not to answer them. Besides, it’s probably just a phase.”

This seemed to calm her down.

“You think so?” she whispered.

He sat next to her, holding her close.

“Yeah,” he responded. “Look, let’s not jump to conclusions. Tomorrow we’ll talk to her, ask her questions, and see how she feels. She might just be confused, in which case we’ll help her figure things out.”

“But what if she isn’t confused, Timber?” asked Spring. “What if it isn’t a phase? What if this is who she is? What then?”

Timber stayed silent for a long time, thinking of his answer.

“Then we’ll help her with that too,” he said. “No matter what happens, it’ll be ok.”

The two stayed in their embrace for a while, each calming down from the shock and taking in comfort from the other. After some time had passed, Timber spoke again.

“We should go back and get some rest,” he said. “I have a feeling tomorrow-“

“AHHH!”

Both Timber and Spring got up from the couch, running up the stairs and towards the source of the screaming and crying that was ringing throughout the household.

Entering their room, they turned on the lights. It was then that they found their filly sobbing uncontrollably into the middle of the bed. They both rushed to her.

“What’s wrong?” asked Spring.

The filly tried to regain her breath enough to answer, but found it difficult through her tears. Eventually she managed to respond.

“I… I woke up, and you weren’t there,” she said through stifled sobs. “And I thought… I thought you left me be- because I’m a transpony…”

She then began weeping again, with both her parents trying desperately to calm her.

“No no honey,” Timber said, “We were downstairs talking about tomorrow. We would never leave you.”

“Yeah,” added Spring, “We’ll always love you with all our hearts, whether you are our little filly or our little colt. We’ll always be with you.”

Both parents began to relax as they felt their daughter calm down.

“You promise?” she whispered.

“We promise.”


“Wow,” said Rose, “So what did you do then?”

Rose was now sitting on a chair in her living room while Timber and Spring occupied the couch, their daughter sitting bashfully in between them.

After being invited in, the parents mentioned that they needed Rose’s advice and began to recount the story of their filly coming out to them as transgender. Both parents had taken turns in telling the story with Rose listening intently as they shared the annectdote, and the filly the story regarded sat in silence. Spring attempted to answer Rose’s question, but choked up at the memory they had just recounted, leaving Timber to continue the story.

“Well, over the next few weeks we talked to our daughter about how she felt,” Timber explained. “We asked her how long things had been going on, how she knew, things like that. At the same time we started going to the library and doing research on the topic to find some way of knowing if this was something permanent or temporary. The research did not really amount to anything; there aren’t a lot of books about this out there and those we found were less than promising, but the talk…”

He turned to look at his daughter with a pensive glance before turning back to Rose to finish his thought.

“We found that we did not really need the research,” he said. “Talking to her, and the things she told us… We’re sure this is real. We cried a lot during those days, and a lot of the talks were painful. I don’t think either of us got much sleep during that time, but we at least knew that our daughter was not confused and that what she felt was one hundred percent real. Once we knew for sure, we made all the necessary arrangements and came here.”

Rose thought for a minute, processing the conversation in her mind.

“Why come all the way out here though?” she asked. “Baltimare is not exactly close. Did you three come all this way just to ask for my advice?”

“Well, yes and no,” said Spring, smiling awkwardly as she wiped the last of her tears away. “Here, let me explain.”

Spring dug into her saddlebag pulling a newspaper out, which she proceeded to give to Rose. Rose did not have to read the article to know what it was about, as it was the same one she had become rather familiar with in the passing months.

“This is what started everything,” said Spring. “When this article came out, it was all the ponies of Baltimare would talk about. It was also where our daughter heard about you and why she started asking questions, questions which she became more interested in, and the more we answered the more she asked. Once we found out that she was really transgender, and that it was going to be difficult to find the proper information on our own, we figured the best thing to do was to talk to somepony that knew what this was like.”

“We just want to make sure we do everything we can to support our daughter,” Timber said. “But this is all new to us and we don’t know what we need to do to ensure she’s happy and safe. We don’t know what our options are, and what we do know, we don’t know how to go about doing.”

“You are also the only transpony we have heard about publicly,” added Spring. “And after reading your story… we just thought you could help.”

Rose nodded, deep in thought.

“And the other reason?” she asked.

“Sorry?” asked Timber.

“Well, you said that asking me advice wasn’t the only reason you came here,” she explained. “I asked you if it was and you said ‘yes and no’ right? So why else?”

“Oh right,” said Spring. “You see, when news of… of you came out in Baltimare, they weren’t necessarily well received.”

She stared at Rose awkwardly as if expecting a reprimand, causing Rose to giggle.

“It’s ok Ms. Spring,” said Rose. “I’m a big mare; I can take it.”

Spring gave a weak smile.

“Right, of course,” she said. “Well, Baltimare is an old city with a lot of old values. When news of you broke out, the majority of the population said a lot of very vile things about you and ponies like you.”

She took a deep breath, remembering the gossip around town.

“Some talked about what they would do if they found you in public, others called you a bunch of things, most of which were unkind,” she said shuddering. “It’s the worst I’ve seen of the town and it made me really uncomfortable when my daughter started to notice all the hatred, even before she came out.”

Spring turned to look at her daughter while Timber took up the explanation.

“Regardless of whether or not you could help us, we knew we needed to get our daughter out of there,” he explained. “We want her to be able to have a happy and safe life regardless of who she ends up being, and she couldn’t have that there.”

Timber then pointed to the newspaper that was now resting on a table in front of him.

“Despite the… the incident, we read that you were doing well here in Ponyville and that everyone had been very accepting, so we actually moved here this week,” he said. “We still have a few more things to do like enroll our daughter in school, and we still need to finalize our government job transfers from Baltimare to here, but we thought now would be a good time to come and see you.”

Rose could not help but smile. Although she wanted to remain passive, Rose could not help but be impressed at the lengths they had already gone through to support their daughter.

“Will you please help us?” asked Spring tentatively.

Rose closed her eyes as she gathered her thoughts.

On the one hoof, Rose preferred not get involved. For starters, she did not want the responsibility of making choices and giving advice that would no doubt impact the life of this filly. Yes, she had life experience, but that was all it was; she would not delude herself to think that just because she knew what would have worked for her, that she could give out the best advice for somepony else. Then there was the fact that she meant what she told Dusk, and while giving advice was not like playing the activist that Dusk wanted, it still involved a certain level of responsibility and commitment that she did not know she wanted to indulge.

“It would mean taking ownership of my being trans,” she thought to herself. “Owning it and using it rather than just accepting it. I’m not sure if I’m ready for that.”

However, this was a very different scenario from what Dusk had asked for. Rose realized that Timber and Spring were not two ponies asking her to take up the fight for a cause. They did not want to exploit her, nor were they asking her for a sacrifice. They were two parents that were desperately trying to make sure their daughter was healthy and happy. They were scared, they had no experience with this, and they were not sure they would be able to do things right, but they were still trying and they had no one but herself to turn to.

Rose opened her eyes and looked at the filly sitting between her parents.

“She already has the support of her parents, has moved to an accepting town, and from the sounds of it she’s more aware and sure of who she is than I had been even last year,” Rose thought to herself. “She has a chance to lead a life far easier than the one I had to go through. Who am I to deny her help in making that happen?”

Rose took a deep breath before addressing the parents.

“I’m not sure how much help I’ll be,” she said. “But I’m willing and able to help in any way I can.”

Smiles spread across the faces of the parents as they processed the news, forcing a smile to appear on Rose’s face as well.

“I made the right choice,” she thought to herself.

“Thank you so much Ms. Rose,” Spring said tearfully. “You don’t know how much this means to us.”

“It’s quite alright,” said Rose. “I’m just happy I can help.”

“So, what do you think we should do first?” asked Timber.

Rose thought for a moment before answering.

“Well first things first, you should probably finish getting settled in Ponyville. You’re not going anywhere and neither am I, so there’s no point in rushing things,” she explained. “Make sure everything is accounted for, sign up your daughter to the school and the such. Actually, you might want to let the school know about what’s going on so they can begin preparing for it before the school year starts. Oh! And you should also go talk to Twilight Sparkle. She’s the town librarian. She mentioned around a year ago that she found some books on the subject of transponies. She did also mention that there had only been two at the time but, knowing her, she probably ordered more when she found so few available. Even if she didn’t, two books are better than no books.”

Timber and Spring nodded in agreement.

“As for me helping personally,” Rose said, pausing to think. “I think I’d like to talk to your daughter, maybe around this time next week? I want to ask her questions and see what she thinks about things and what she wants to happen. It’ll help me make sure I’m giving the proper advice. Does that sound ok with you?”

Rose directed that question as the filly, who after a moment gave a nervous nod.

“Thank you Ms. Rose for agreeing to help,” said Timber as he got up from the couch. “You don’t know how much this means to us.”

“It’s quite alright,” said Rose, shaking his hoof. “And you can just call me Rose.”

She walked her visitors to the door, opening it for them and waving as they left. However, as they were walking away Rose remembered something.

“Hey, wait a second,” she called after them, causing them to turn around.

“I just realized that we’ve been talking about your daughter this whole time but I still don’t know her name.”

Both parents looked down at their daughter with expecting eyes.

“Well, go on,” said Spring softly. “Introduce yourself.”

The filly looked at her parents nervously before shuffling and turning to look towards Rose. When she spoke, her voice was quiet and tense.

“Hi Miss- I mean, hi Rose,” she said. “I’m Summer Breeze.”

Author's Note:

Two out of the three story pieces are now set and we're only on the second chapter.
Are you excited? Cause I am!

One note on pronouns and stuff. Transgender is an umbrella term that covers a wide variety of gender identities (rather than just mtf and ftm, such as 3rd gender and the such). Because of that, I'm refraining from changing pronouns on Summer until after her talk with Rose, at which point we'll be sure of what the proper way of addressing her is.

Yes, as the author I am aware of where she fits in, but we'll make that journey together shall we?

See you Monday,
-thedarkprep