• Published 9th Feb 2012
  • 13,323 Views, 74 Comments

Daring-Do and the Griffon's Goblet - Sebbaa



Daring-Do embarks on another advernture.

  • ...
3
 74
 13,323

Chapter 1

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, its characters, setting, and story all belong to Hasbro, Lauren Faust, and present directors and artists. If not for them, this story would not exist. If you enjoy this story, please support the original show.

Daring-Do and the Griffon's Goblet

By Sebbaa
Chapter 1

Biting, cold raindrops stung Daring-Do's face, body, and wings as she dove at the speeding train. She lowered her head to shield her face from the elements’ onslaught with her wide-brimmed pith helmet. The red taillight of the train was the only thing she could make out clearly in the pitch blackness of the stormy night.

Lightning flashed, briefly illuminating the landscape. The adventuress' eyes widened in terror when she saw the train entering a tunnel, the utter darkness of the passage only slightly contrasting to the rocky mountainside.

The orange pegasus bared her teeth in an determined snarl and pumped her wings even harder, diving in an ever steeper angle toward the entrance. The train disappeared into the tunnel only a few feet before her. She pulled up hard, her hooves scraping along the trail's rocky bed. The dive had left her with a surplus of speed, yet she still needed to summon the last of her strength. Inch by inch she gained on the train, stretching out with her forehooves. Her lungs burned, the smoke from the steam locomotive made her cough, and stung in her eyes. Daring clenched her teeth; she needed to get just a tiny bit closer.

With one final effort the pegasus grabbed the railing at the tail of the train with her hooves, and quickly pulled herself onto the small platform that was the very end of the train. She entered the car through the rear door as quickly as she could, and slammed it shut behind her. Sinking on her hindquarters she allowed herself to catch her breath. With a relived sigh she took her helmet off, and wiped the sweat and rain from her brow.

“Well, look who we have here! If it isn't the infamous Daring-Do, raider of ancient tombs, robber of invaluable artifacts.”

Daring looked up slowly. In front of her sat half a dozen ponies around a table, looking up from a game of cards. Most of them were earth ponies; judging by their rugged looks she took them for hired thugs, here to do the dirty work. But the pony who had spoken up was of a different breed. He was a white coated unicorn with a well trimmed light-green mane. He wore a formal shirt with a red vest, a bow tie of the same color, and a monocle over his right eye.

The adventuress got up quickly, and shook out her grayscale mane, before putting her helmet back on. “I prefer the term archaeologist myself,” she replied with a clever smirk.

The goons stood, and took stance behind the unicorn.

“If you are here for the Stone Head of Highever, I have to disappoint you,” he snapped at the mare. “This is the end of the line!”

Daring's smile only widened to a grin, her eyes were shining wildly in the gaslight’s illumination. “So you do have the Stone Head on this train, Loaded Dice!”

The unicorn clenched his teeth in anger. “Get her!” he spat, and pointed his hoof at her. His minions were quick to follow his orders and started to close in on her.

Daring's smile faded, her eyes darted around the room frantically, searching for any way out of this mess. She grinned once more when she found one. Without hesitating she threw her sun-helmet into the air with a knock of her head, and caught it in her teeth. She swung her head in a wide arc and let the hat fly through the room like a frisbee.

The goons ducked and followed the projectile with their eyes, until it hit a red valve at the other side of the cart. With a sound of dying flame all the gaslights in the cart went out, leaving the room in total darkness. Chaos ensured as ponies jumped for the adventuress, and stumbled in the dark.

“I've got her!”

“Ahg, my leg!”

“I can't see!”

“What was that?” they shouted as they tried to grapple her.

When Loaded Dice’s horn lit up, he found his minions in a heap, wrestling each other, Daring-Do nowhere in sight. He wheeled around just in time to see the cart’s other door close.

“You fools! After her, quickly!” he yelled, kicking one of the thugs to make them untangle faster.

Daring slammed the door shut and leaned her back against it. A fake simper grew on her face when she noticed she was in a regular passenger cart, and everypony was staring at her. She quickly got back onto her hooves, and kicked over a heavy trunk to block the door with her hindleg. She shot frantic glances left and right; when nopony came to question her behavior or lift the trunk from the door, she started walking down the cart.

“Hello! Good day! Nice train, isn’t it?” she exclaimed, greeting individual ponies as she passed them. She dared not jump into a gallop, even when rattling and kicking sounded from the door, she had come through. She looked back over her shoulder. For now the door was holding, but it shook and would yield any moment now.

When she turned towards the front of the train again, she almost ran head first into the chest of an enormous stallion. Her eyes widened in shock. Slowly she looked up to his face, gaping in awe.

“Your ticket please,” said the big red earth pony in a deep rumbling voice.

Daring blinked a few times, only now noticing that he was wearing a conductor’s uniform. She hesitated a moment, shifting her legs nervously. “Oh yes, my ticket, of course!” she said, and started rummaging around the many pockets of her olive-green explorer’s shirt. She glanced back at his face time and time again, trying to judge if he was buying the act.

With a sudden crack the door she had come through burst open, spilling five angry thugs into the cart. Daring took a anxious glance over her shoulder. The conductor looked at them in wonder.

The mare quickly jumped into action and snaked past the earth pony. “They stole my ticket! And now they are after me!” she yelled in played panic and dashed for the other end of the wagon.

The conductor looked after her in wonder, then turned around, shoved his hat deeper into his face, and snorted angrily.

When the goons had managed to get back to their hooves, the stallion was already standing above them, looking down at them sternly. “You won't trouble the lady no more!” he hissed, and leaned his head from side to side, making his spine crack. The ponies before him swallowed hard.

Daring made it through the cart and hurried to opened the door to the next one, when she heard a struggle break out behind her. She couldn’t suppress a satisfied chuckle.


The pegasus passed through two more passenger cars without further incident, having lost her pursuers for the moment. When she came into the third cart however, she couldn’t believe her eyes.

“Chickens? You’ve got to be kidding me! Why does it have to be chickens?” she moaned unhappily.

The inside of the cart looked like a farm’s chicken coop. Hens were everywhere, sitting in long rows all along the walls and the floor. Luckily it was night, which meant the animals were fast asleep. Daring swallowed hard. One misplaced step, one loud noise and the cart would turn into a feather filled apocalypse. She gathered her courage and started to sneak through the cart. With slow, deliberate steps, touching the ground with the tip of her hooves first, before gently lowering all of her weight on it, she waded through the chickens, trying not to graze even one feather. Cold sweat stood on Daring#s brow and she bit her lower lip, only a few more steps to the next door.

With a sudden clash the door behind her burst open, and her pursuers dashed though, startling the chickens awake.

Quick as a striking snake Daring whipped her wings and dashed for the far door; she barely made it though before all tartarus broke loose. Chickens clucked, ponies screamed, feathers flew everywhere. She slammed the door shut behind her and leaned back against it to catch her breath.

“This stinks!” she murmured and wrinkled her nose. She had stepped into a cart transporting pigs. “What is this train? A rolling farm?”


When Daring finally came out of the last door and onto an open cart, she let out a relieved sigh. Even though it was still raining and the cold wind was tugging her shirt and wings, she allowed herself some well earned rest, and sat on her haunches for a few seconds. Even though her hooves were dirty and her clothing torn in several places, the mare was smiling; for the moment she was just glad to be alive.

But she quickly got to her hooves, her exhaustion forgotten, when she saw it. Before her lay a giant head, hewn from dark stone. It was at least two ponies high, almost cubic in its shape. Even though it was eroded from countless centuries, Daring could still recognize the stylized contours of an eagle’s head. It was still wrapped in a coarse net that had been used to lift the artifact onto the train.

With slow steps the adventuress walked towards the stone, her eyes big, staring in awe. Carefully she placed one hoof on the surface as if to test if it was real. When it turned out to be solid under her hoof, she hurried, and took out a flashlight from one of her many pockets. Holding it in her mouth, Daring turned it on with her hooves, and waved it a few times to the sky from horizon to horizon, before finally settling on the stone artifact. She squinted her eyes in an effort to make out the tiny details in the torch's light.

The pegasus was interrupted, when the door, she had come through, burst open under the pressure of magical force. Through it came Loaded Dice, sporting an angry snarl. Behind him stood his goons, the five of them black eyed and covered in mud, and feathers, their cloths torn, and their coats rugged.

Daring wheeled around, backflipped onto the stone, and braced herself for a fight, taking a wide stance. She swung her flashlight around, blinding Dice and his minions in turn. They shielded their eyes form the light, but the unicorn used his levitation, took the torch from Daring's mouth, and threw it off the train. His ears shining red with rage. The torch crashed to the ground and died instantly. Having disarmed his adversary the unicorn stepped forward with an arrogant smile.

“I must say I am impressed Miss Do. You actually made it to the Stone Head of Highever. Now, if you would be so kind as to get off my property, and then get off this train immediately, so I won't have to order my ponies to throw you off. The choice is yours.”

Daring stood her ground. “Your property?” she snapped back at him. “You bribed the local authorities to salvage the head from the Temple of the Elements in Highever. You stole it from the Griffons!” While she lectured him, her gaze shifted between Dice, his goons, and the skies above.

The unicorn gave an amused chuckle. “If the Griffons are willing to sell out their history and culture for a few bits it’s hardly my fault.” His smile faded, replaced by an inflexible frown. “The Head belongs to me!”

“It belongs in a museum!” Daring shouted back with fierce determination. It only managed to make Dice chuckle again.

“Oh, and how will you achieve that, Miss Do? You are on your own, outnumbered, and outplayed. Even though you managed to get past us, there is no way you could fly away, or even lift the head on your own!” explained Dice, he and his goons stepping closer with each word, slowly tightening the loop.

The mare paid him no heed; instead she was searching the sky intently. When Dice had finished, she looked down at him again, once more smirking confidently. “Who said I was on my own?”

The loud creaking of tortured metal came from above, it made Dice and his goons look up, then quickly throw themselves to the ground, and cover their heads with their hooves. An enormous airship came out of a steep dive, pulling up just above the train, the rigid structure of the dirigible whining under the abuse. As it came level with the train its engines roared to life.

Daring caught a thick rope that dangled from the airship’s gondola and hooked it onto the net that held the artifact. She waved her hoof, signaling that she was ready. A torrent of water rushed from the airship like a fall, as the ship dropped several tons of ballast at once. It almost washed Dice and his minions from the train.

Slowly the Stone Head with the pegasus on it started to rise. The noise from the ship's engines became a deafening roar, as it pitched upward and began to climb rapidly into the clouds.

Daring waved at Dice from top of the stone, shooting him a wide, mocking grin.

The Unicorn came to his hooves, foaming with rage. “This isn’t over, Daring-Do! You hear me? I will get you! This isn’t over!” he shouted after her, his voice quickly disappearing in the distance.

When the train faded from view, the pegasus pumped her wings and flew up to the ship’s gondola. A pony had already opened the side door and awaited her in the frame.

Daring flew next to the door and saluted with played seriousness. “Requesting permission to come aboard captain.”

The mare in the frame rolled her eyes, and stepped to the side. “Just get in lass! Save ye antics for somepony who cares,” she answered seemingly annoyed, but couldn’t help but smile at the adventuress' antics. The pegasus flashed her trademark smile, landed through the door, and the green coated earth pony closed it behind her.

“Daring ye old feather-flank! Ye look like a dog chewed on, and spit ya back out!” the captain told her, grinning widely.

“Right back at you Buddeldot, you old scallywag! Good to see you too,” replied Daring.

Both of them stared at each other for a second, then broke out in laughter. The captain put a hoof on the pegasus’ shoulder and led her to the ship’s mess.

-oOo-

The next day, they were standing on a grassy field, the ship anchored to a nearby tree. The rain had stopped and Celestia’s sun greeted them with its warm blessings.

The captain took off her wide brimmed black hat and ruffled her unkempt mane of the same color. “So I be right? Ye didn’t get this here rock just to be put in the Canterlot Museum.” she said , watching Daring examine the artifact, that was lying on its side.

“Uh huh,” the pegasus answered absentmindedly. She brushed over the head's surface with her hoof. Upon noticing a certain spot at the underside, her eyes widened for a second. She pulled forth some paper and a coal pen with haste, and put the paper on the stone. Holding the pen in her mouth, she carefully rubbed over the paper with it's flat side.

Buddeldot put her hat back on her head at an angle, walked over to Daring-Do, and looked over her shoulder.

As she watched, fine white lines appeared among the black pigment left by the pen. “Shiver me timbers! That be a map!” she exclaimed.

“Uh huh,” Daring replied, and finished the rest of the paper. On it had indeed appeared a map that could not been seen on the rock by the bare eye. It showed a river, a mountain range, and several other landmarks, as well as some writing.

The adventuress grinned widely. “Legend tells that the way to the griffon’s treasure lay under the Stone Head of Highever. Everypony thought that meant the entrance to the Highever Catacombs right under the head. Nopony ever cared to actually turn over the head and look at its underside,” she explained with deep satisfaction.

The captain nodded impressed, and put a hoof to her chin, pondering over the map. “So, where does this map start?” she finally asked.

Daring rolled up the map and tucked it in her shirt. She turned around, and gave the other mare a confident smirk. “Prep the ship Buddeldot. We are going to Canterlot!”

.oOo.

Special thanks to JohnPerry for proofreading and Halycon for reviewing.