• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 5,587 Views, 42 Comments

Lavender Stars in a Dark Night Sky - Arpeggio



Twilight is requested to help a Princess during her most difficult hour.

  • ...
3
 42
 5,587

Chapter 5

Twilight awoke the next morning with a knock on her door; an elderly pony with a white moustache and beard stepped in with a smile. “Good morning, Miss Sparkle. It’s been a year now, hasn’t it?” She instantly recognized the voice as she came to, smiling. “Mr. Jeeves!” she beamed as she got out of bed and hugged him. He chuckled and smiled as she squeezed him, saying “The Princess requests your presence at breakfast.” She blushed as she leant back “Is it that late?”
He chuckled again before replying “Indeed. It seems you needed that rest.”

Twilight smiled and quickly brushed her mane before she left her room “Thank you, Mr. Jeeves!” she shouted as she began making her way to the dining hall. The old man called out to her: “Good morning, to you, Miss Sparkle.” Before going about his duties and cleaning her room.

She was pleased to have seen him again, she assumed that after all this time he had moved to another part of the castle, but still he remained there as he had all throughout her childhood. Twilight made her way to the dining hall as the memories of last night slowly came back to her, memories of Celestia, memories of Luna. She went slightly glassy eyed as she thought of her. Celestia was first and foremost her idol and mentor, but Luna… she admired Luna’s knowledge and intelligence almost as much as Celestia’s, but she felt like there was more feeling to it. She made a mental note to study emotional responses triggered by respect when she got home.

The dining hall was packed with ponies, though Twilight could only see two through her heartfelt tunnel vision. Princess Celestia was laughing as she exchanged witty comments with her subjects, all of who seemed very comfortable with their Princess. However, Celestia’s graceful movements as she sipped her tea were not what drew Twilight’s attention this morning, what drew her attention was a sad looking Alicorn sitting at the opposite side of the table to her sister.

Luna was sitting alone as Celestia was talking to all of the ponies gathered around her. Twilight wondered why Celestia was outright ignoring her as she made her way to sit with Luna. “Oh, good morning Twilight Sparkle… I apologise you had to see me that way last night.” She bowed her head as her ears dropped.
Twilight shook her head profusely “Oh no no no, Princess, you don’t need to apologise to me. You must’ve been angry. Letting it out is better than bottling it, right?”

Luna looked at Twilight Sparkle and gave a very small smile, barely noticeable were it not for the misery painted on her face beforehand. “Thank you, Twilight Sparkle. I should have known you would be defiant enough to rationalize the irrational to try and cheer me up.” Twilight smiled at Luna, her admiration for Luna’s observation adding to the already large pile of things she liked about her.

Twilight then blushed as she realized she was staring right into Luna’s eyes with a swooning look on her face. “Twilight Sparkle, are you alright? Perhaps you have not slept enough.” Now it was Luna’s turn for concern. “Hmm…? Oh! Oh Princess, sorry. I don’t know, I just… I just sorted of stopped… for lack of a better word.” Luna giggled gently as she looked back down to her plate before blushing slightly and asking Twilight: “Twilight Sparkle, would you… would you like to spend the day with me. I understand Tia has sent you to ‘cheer me up’ as she put it.”

Twilight smiled as Luna did in turn “I would love to, Princess.” Twilight’s little heart fluttering Where did that come from? She thought to herself as she began blushing mildly. Luna smiled and did the same, saying with barely held back relief: “Wonderful, shall we start right away?” Luna beamed, so excited that someone wanted to spend time with her – through choice, not obligation!

Twilight smiled and decided her stomach could wait; there was a certain Princess that needed her right now. “That sounds great, Princess.” Luna smiled at her and said, once they were out of earshot of Celestia, “Please, call me Luna – I have enough people calling me Princess, I could do with someone giving me a name rather than a rank.” Twilight smiled gleefully as she breathed out “Of course, Luna.” Smiling at her.

The two made their way to the library as Twilight brushed against Luna unconsciously and Luna did the same in response. They both giggled and blushed, thoughts whirring around their head. The primary in both minds being “Why didn’t I do this last time I was here?”
“Why didn’t I do this last time she was here?”