• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 1,993 Views, 25 Comments

Goodbye Party - WNA



In the flush of youth, neither Twilight nor her friends stopped to think about the consequences of immortality. Now, many years later, she must face her fears and say her final goodbyes.

  • ...
1
 25
 1,993

See You Later...

The door opened, spilling sunset light into the hall. Twilight looked up with a start, suddenly blinded.

“You can come in, now,” said the young nurse who had stepped into the dark hallway. “She’s ready for you.”

“Thank you,” said Twilight, standing from her cramped position on a stone bench across from the door. She shook her mane gingerly, trying not to upset the headache that had taken up residence behind her eyes.

“The pleasure is mine, Your Highness. Come right in.” The mare stepped aside from the door, revealing a room still bright to Twilight’s unadjusted eyes. The blurry shapes and vivid colors gradually resolved into streamers, balloons, and cheery banners written in a shaky hand.

“She’ll wake up soon,” whispered the nurse. “It’s not quite... It’s not her time yet.”

“Thank you,” said Twilight, tears stinging the corners of her eyes. She stepped across the polished white marble floor to the wide window and stood, watching the sunset over the forest. As the door swung silently shut, a broken sigh escaped her.

The sky blazed pink and orange, shifting to darker blue as the sun sank lower. Halos of clouds ringed the horizon, glowing with the same bright hues as the sky.

“They look just like cotton candy,” said a voice from behind her. Twilight turned quickly and stepped toward the tall four-poster in the center of the room. The sole occupant of the bed smiled up at her, and as frail and thin as she was, her smile was still as wide and bright as a filly’s.

“Oh, Pinkie.” Twilight knelt down by the bed on a cushion, smiling sadly down at the mare.

“Hiya, Twi,” Pinkie said. She coughed and heaved a raspy breath. “Thanks for coming to my party.”

Twilight fought back a sudden sob. “You know I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

Pinkie unfurled her veined hoof from the thick blanket wrapped around her and gently touched Twilight’s muzzle. “Hey, don’t cry. You know how much I hate it when other ponies are sad, especially because of me.”

Twilight smiled bitterly and said, “Well, it’s not easy. This is” she stopped herself again to rub her hoof roughly across her muzzle. “This is a goodbye party, after all.”

Pinkie Pie sighed, frowning, and said, “Twilight, stop this for a sec. Okay? Just listen to me.” With a comforting pat of her hoof, she gestured to the space beside her.

Twilight dropped her head onto the bed, eyes squeezed shut to prevent any tears from leaking out. “Stop what?”

“You still act so much like a filly, Twi. You still look like one, too.” Pinkie chuckled softly, her bright blue eyes still twinkling in spite her age. “You need to remember that death is as essential to existence as life.”

“When did you get so serious, Pinkie?” Twilight’s words sounded almost accusatory, but the tone didn’t affect Pinkie in the way she intended.

“When I got old, Twilight,” she giggled. “We all got old. We all learned; we all changed.” She paused. “Well, all of us except you. When you became a princess, you got more than a pair of wings.”

“Yeah, I got cursed with immortality,” Twilight sniffed. Twilight’s spite at the thought was almost palpable. The occupants of the sunlit room both paused.

Blowing from an an open window high above, a breeze rustled the drawn-back velvet curtains of the four-poster. A streamer on the other side of the room slowly twisted and untwisted in the soft wind.

Pinkie’s sweet voice broke the silence of the room. “Twilight? Do you know why we started having goodbye parties?”

Twilight stopped for a second, forcing herself to remember. “Well, when Applejack was... when Applejack was going, we decided to get together, all as a group, one last time.” Her voice broke at the word “last.” She shut her eyes tightly again. “We wanted to see A.J. off.”

“Well, that was our stated reason, Twi.” Twilight raised her head, looking confusedly at the old pink mare. “Here’s a secret. You probably wouldn’t know this, not having the benefit of age the same way we all did.” She sat up a bit, curling her hind legs closer to her and shrugging her shoulder against the piled cushions. “Goodbye parties aren’t for the ponies going away. They’re for the ones who have to stay behind.”

Twilight’s confusion temporarily overcame her sadness. “What,” she began shakily. “What does that even mean?”

Nuzzling Twilight’s mane, Pinkie said simply, “These parties were for you, Twilight. Not for us, for you.”

The sun’s last rays shot over the horizon, bending through the glass panes of the window and warming Twilight’s back. She spread her shaking wings and draped them over Pinkie’s frail form, as if that would somehow stop what was coming.

“Twilight. You have to be strong. For me.” She lifted Twilight’s head with a hoof. “For us, for Celestia and Luna, and for your people.”

“I don’t think I can go on. Not without you. Not without them.” She didn’t sob or whimper, but even so, her voice held sadness mingled with fear.

“Shut up, Twilight,” Pinkie said lovingly. “You’re a strong mare. With us, you’ve fought Discord, defeated Nightmare Moon, banished the Changelings, killed the Kraken, and dispelled the plague, among countless other things. You brought us together, you led us, and you eventually became something greater because of it.”

A single tear leaked from Twilight’s eye as Pinkie continued, “When you say that you can’t go on, that means a lot of things. It means you don’t care enough about our friendship between the six of us to try to share it.”

“Wait, that’s not what I mean” Twilight said, a note of panic in her voice. Pinkie cut her off, continuing.

“That’s the worst part about it, too. If you really don’t think you can go on, then you won’t try to. You’ll be hurt.” Pinkie put her hoof next to Twilight’s ear, drawing her closer to her frail face and now-watery eyes. “And Twilight, if you’re hurt, then there’s nothing I can do. Nothing any of us, not Applejack, Rainbow, Fluttershy, Rarity, or me, can do. They all had to leave, and now I have to, too.”

“Pinkie, I’m so sorry” She was stopped by Pinkie, who was crying openly now, tears gleaming in her baby blue eyes.

“No, Twilight! That’s the part that hurts the most! I know you don’t mean to be hurtful on purpose, but this hurts me as much as anything! We don’t want you to be miserable, and if you’re miserable when we’re all gone, then we can’t do anything to help you!” Pinkie rested her head and still-fluffy pink mane on Twilight’s wing.

“Twilight. We all love you. We don’t want you to forget us, but moving on isn’t forgetting us. It’s honoring us. It shows the value of what we had together, the six of us!”

“Pinkie” Twilight said, wings wrapped tightly around the pink mare. “Pinkie,” she sobbed. “Don’t leave me.”

“I have to, Twi. It’s an essential part of life. Everyone has to say goodbye sometime.”

“But I don’t want to!” She hiccoughed, her tears staining the bedsheets. “I don’t want to be alone.”

The sun had set completely now, and the last light was fading from the sky. Stars danced and twirled, spinning across the sky like fireworks, but Twilight didn’t notice.

“Reach behind my pillow, Twilight.” Pinkie shifted, taking as much of her weight as possible to allow Twilight room. “There’s something for you from all of us.”

“Pinkie, don’t do this,” Twilight sobbed. “Don’t.”

Pinkie raised a shaking hoof and placed it on Twilight’s face, wiping the tears. “Hush, Twilight. It’s time.”

Still sobbing, Twilight reached a hoof behind Pinkie’s pillow, quickly feeling a package wrapped in brown paper and string.

Pinkie smiled, whispering, “You can open it, Twilight.” The lavender glow of Twilight’s magic illuminated the dark room, casting shifting patterns of purple on the wall like the sun through water. As she pulled the paper apart, two things fell out: a leather book, wide and thin with a locked metal clasp, and a letter on faded white paper.

“We did this for you a long time ago, Twi, right after you became a princess. We knew you’d need these things sometime, when we were all... gone.”

Sensing the slightly fearful tone of her friend, Twilight dropped the items on the bed and embraced Pinkie with her hooves and wings. “Oh, Pinkie.” She withdrew and looked into Pinkie’s eyes. “Are you afraid?”

Pinkie shook her head slowly and weakly. “No, not really. I know that I’ll be happy later.” She sniffed, and Twilight nuzzled her. “When it’s over. I just hope it doesn’t hurt.”

“How do you know, Pinkie? How do you know you’ll be happy?”

“Because I know I’ll be with my friends. They’re waiting for me.” She squeezed Twilight’s hoof with her own frail one. “You’ll know too, when it’s your time.”

“Oh, Pinkie, don’t leave. Don’t leave,” Twilight cried, gripping her friend’s hoof. “I’m not ready.”

Pinkie smiled a bittersweet smile. “Because I could not stop for Death, He kindly stopped for me,” she quoted. “I can’t wait any longer, Twilight. Our friends are waiting, and when I get there, we’ll all wait for you, together.” Struggling with another breath, she closed her eyes. “Hold my hoof, Twi,” she whispered, sounding nowhere near as sure as she had been.

“Okay, Pinkie. Just relax. Just breathe,” Twilight whispered. Pinkie’s chest rose with a raspy noise, and fell again. “Pinkie, Pinkie,” she sobbed again.

“Goodbye, Twilight,” came the final whisper.

Twilight collapsed onto the side of the bed, sobbing with raspy, heaving tears. She clung to the blankets, and as she finally fell to the ivory floor, she pulled the book and the letter off on top of her.

With a furious kick of her forehoof, she sent the book flying into the door. The metal clasp popped open, and the book spilled paper everywhere.

“Why did you have to leave me?” Twilight’s voice was barely a whisper through her tears. She stepped over to the book lying facedown on the floor and lifted it in her magic.

In it, her friend’s faces smiled back at her. She almost dropped the bookthe photo albumin surprise. She quickly leafed through the pages. It looked like every event in their lives as friends had been catalogued, in pictures, words, and even her old friendship reports.

Still crying, she smiled. Scooping up the fallen papers, Twilight gently placed the book on a table. Averting her eyes from the bed, she gently lifted the letter from the ground and levitated it in front of her eyes.

“Dear Twilight,” it read.
“Life is just one great adventure, and, like any adventure, the most important part of it is who you spend it with. You were the best partner, leader, and friend anypony could ask for in life.
“But like all things, life has to end sometime. For us, it ended at a normal time, but for you, it could extend for centuries more. Our adventures are over, for now, but yours are just beginning.
“So, as your friends, we have this to say to you: have more adventures. Live life to the fullest. Don’t forget us. And when you’re ready, we’ll be waiting, happy to adventure with you again, forever.”
“Your truest friends, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy.”

Twilight carefully tucked the letter inside the photo album and paused, standing in front of the window. There was no trace of the sun anymore, but instead of looking bleak, the darkness looked welcoming. The moon shined brightly, illuminating the forest below and the balloons inside the room.

Slowly stepping to Pinkie’s bed, Twilight straitened the sheets, and kissed Pinkie’s head, staining it with her tears. She stepped back, watching as the velvet red curtains swayed in the slight breeze.

“Goodbye, Pinkie.” She picked up the book with the letter inside it, and stepped to the door. Looking down and scraping her hoof against the polished marble, she added, “See you later.”

Comments ( 25 )

Right in the feels. Bravo!

WNA

2425848>>2425891
Thanks, guys. I'm glad you like it; it means a lot to me. :twilightsmile:

Jesus... this one hurt... and not in a bad way. So much emotion, and done so well.

Thank you for this beautifully written story.

My eyes burn from the feels.

WNA

2426654 I hope that's a good thing.

I almost got the feels from this, but I have a question, is spike dead too??

WNA

2426716 No. But he was always more of a son than a friend. And you would feel pretty bad to lose five friends, even if you still had three immortal ones (Luna, Celestia, and Spike).

Hnnnnng! I think I need a hospital bed, too!

I don't normally come to read other people's stories as much as I come here to work on my own, but this is absolutely amazing for such a short story. :twilightsmile:

WNA

2427862 Thanks! :yay:
It's amazing to be getting so much positive feedback on this. I mean, I hoped people would like this story, but I definitely didn't expect it.

2427876 I think it's a good five minute read. Definitely worth five minutes of anyone's time (unless, of course, they don't like this kind of stuff, and that's okay, too).

I believe this could be more tragic in atmosphere if you began to delve more into the characters as you began describing them during their conversation. For example, you wrote;


Twilight smiled bitterly and said, “Well, it’s not easy. This is—” she stopped herself again to rub her hoof roughly across her muzzle. “This is a goodbye party, after all.”

Pinkie Pie sighed, frowning, and said, “Twilight, stop this for a sec. Okay? Just listen to me.” With a comforting pat of her hoof, she gestured to the space beside her.

Twilight dropped her head onto the bed, eyes squeezed shut to prevent any tears from leaking out. “Stop what?”


This could be expanded to, for example;


Twilight smiled bitterly, but her lips only masked the sadness in her heart. "Well, it's not easy," she spoke up finally. Her lip quivered. The tension in her body caused her to stutter her words the moment she spoke them, while her throat began to undulate involuntarily as she strained to keep her voice sounding cheerful, assuring. It wasn't in her heart, though. "This is--" she stopped herself mid way, trying so hard to keep her composure. With a single hoof, she gentle rubbed her nuzzle. "this is a goodbye party, after all."

Pinkie Pie gave out a heavy sigh, frowning. "Twilight," she replied, looking up at the upset alicorn with empathetic eyes, "stop this for a sec, okay? Just listen to me." Her thin, veined, pale pink hoof lifted gently off of the bed sheet and gently patted a small space on the edge of the mattress beside her.

Twilight did not sit next to her friend. Rather, she sat on the floor, leaning her head to where Pinkie Pie's hoof was, resting it on the mattress. Her mind felt heavy with so many thoughts and feelings rushing through. So many that she quickly closed her eyes, keeping them shut to hold back the tears that welled up. "Stop what?" she asked in ignorance.


I dunno. That's just what I would do, but there's no right or wrong writing style; there's only a style that you like and that everyone likes reading ^^

WNA

2427987
I do see what you're saying; in this story, the character development is pretty much non-existent. That's something I'm trying to work on so I can write longer and more involved fics.

This deserves to get featured. I hope it happens.

WNA

2428027 IF YOU CLAP YOUR HANDS AND BELIEVE HARD ENOUGH (and make like 600 alternate accounts and upvote it) IT CAN HAPPEN.

Beautiful sadfic, man.

This story has been reviewed by: The Equestrian Critics Society

Story Title: Goodbye Party

Author: WNA

Reviewed by: Shahrazad

“Goodbye Party” is a short story with a powerful message. That it can convey an emotion and a message in less than 3000 words is a remarkable feat. It’s an excellent example of an emotion—in this case sadness—distilled into its pure form, uncomplicated by convoluted plots. The entire story is one scene in length, as are many good short stories. It says much in as few words as possible, and then leaves on a powerful note.

The entire story can be read in about ten minutes if a reader takes his or her time. It’s time well spent, as the story delivers its payload and then finishes strong. It does leave a few unanswered questions, but they aren’t the point of this story. It’s worth reading, maybe reading twice, to fully understand what a funeral is really about.

Full Review (spoilers)

Score: 9.0/10

WNA

3410626
Thanks for the awesome review. It's funny, but I'm pretty sure you know more about what I was trying to do with this story than I did when I was writing it.

I gotta ask, how could you write this one amazing story, and then do nothing more? You definitely got the talent, is there just no other stories you want to tell? I really hope I see more from you!

WNA

4150600 Well, I've got a few stories in the works--I've just gotta find the motivation to finish some of them up and release them. I'm currently working as a writer for Legends of Equestria, which does take up a little of my already-pinched free time, but I vaguely plan on another release in the coming months.

Wow... this is the only fic to make me cry besides My Little Dashie :raritycry::raritydespair: Wonderful story, though and well written.:twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

Oh my, I started reading this expecting meh, I'm wiping a tear away.
:fluttercry:
Great job.

:fluttershyouch:

Lol, princess real stupid

2428002
what character development do you expect to find on someone's death bed?

this site has a lot of crazy disparate crap floating around, and I mean that in the best way possible: there's oodles of porn and romance, both wholesome and degenerate, crazy action adventure stories ranging from fun nonsense romps with characters from all over fiction, to extremely explicit depictions of war and strife putting our beloved ponies through the wringer. and then there's the sad: tragedy, anguish, and philosophy that make us reflect and consider where we stand in our own lives, at least for a little while

Login or register to comment