• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 1,756 Views, 74 Comments

The Mother City - Quicksear



Two friends take a poorly thought-out trip to a foreign city with just their backpacks and a promise to go on. What could possibly go wrong? It's not like magical cartoon characters will appear in a rucksack on your bus, right?

  • ...
5
 74
 1,756

4. Adjustment

Butterflies. I curse their little fluttery souls.

Well, considering that my last conscious thought was about the little demons tickling my face, it makes sense that I associated them with the immense headache I felt when I finally woke up.

“Unnngh!” I announced to the world as loudly as I could, but my throat was filled with the invasive liquid currently being poured into my mouth. My eyes shot open as I jumped backwards in surprise. In my haste to avoid being drowned, I found myself yet again closely acquainted with the glass wall of my uncle’s apartment.

This glass must be bloody nuke-proof, I thought as I rubbed the back of my head. I tried to order my thoughts in an effort to explain to myself exactly why I had passed out this time. Luckily, my questions were answered by a gentle inquiry so soft it barely registered in my ringing ears; “<-Oh my…Are you okay, Mister Alien? Too much water?->”

I rolled away from the glass to my knees, trying to find some stability and stop my head from spinning; stop the motion first, then fix the pain. “<-Uh, yeah...just bring me a bucket of aspirin and a bottle of vodka to wash it down…->”

Yes, I was not exactly lucid at the time, but this seemed like a good solution: My headache – no, migraine – was exponentially worse than any hangover I’d ever had the dubious pleasure of remembering, and drowning it took precedence over the source of the sweet and melodious voice offering me comforting murmurs. I felt a hand clamp onto my hunched shoulder and begin hoisting me to my feet. I huffed once, and then threw myself upwards, hoping that Andrew would bear my weight as I surfaced from my unconsciousness. My eyes were swimming with swirling voids as I felt myself being leaned against the cold glass. I heard other words from a distance; “Mate, what the hell is going on with you?” I heard Andrew’s voice and latched onto the familiarity. His words were different from the first, lacking the trill and eloquency that voice had carried. Something wasn’t right here… “Twilight, what the actual FUCK did you do to Marc?! Why is he talking like that?”

“Andrew…” I groused, but my throat and mouth indeed did not feel right as it formed the words, “I’m fine, just let me wake up-“

I might have expected many reactions, but a slap through the face followed by a big and, well, feathery hug as I keeled over to the ground were verily not among them. It was also just what I needed to regain my composure. As the world oriented itself around me, I found myself staring at the ceiling, hearing a heated babble from the butter-yellow Pegasus whose wing I was currently wrapped in. “<-Hey! How dare you hit your own friend? He was just trying to recover from…->” – That was the disconcerting pause in which everything became clear to me – “<-Um, Twilight? What exactly did you do to him?->”

That was not bloody English. I was being held by Fluttershy as she spoke…and I understood her.

I shot up from the soft feathers into the air, shouting like a madman, straight into another furry, if less feathery, figure, this one being more than capable of arresting my leap. Applejack looked as confused as I felt, her, no, MY hat sitting a tilt crazy even for her as she held me up with a hoof on either shoulder. “<-Uh, you okay, there Sugarcube…?->”

“<-No.Nonono, do NOT call me that! You making sense makes no sense!->” I found myself standing on my own for the first time since waking. I surveyed the room quickly, looking for common sense to reassert itself. Seven faces stared at me in shock from various points about the room.

Andrew stepped towards me, a look of fear spreading across his square features. “Mate? Marc, please tell me you’re there…?”

I nodded vigorously to allay his suspicions, but it took far longer to reorganize my mind to make a response. For half a second, I thought with terror that Twilight had replaced my English with their infernal pony-language, but to my relief, the familiar words came out instinctually, “I’m good mate. Thanks for the wake-up call.” But I had a much more pressing comment to air; “<-Twilight bloody Sparkle! What the heck did you just do to me? Why am I speaking Welsh?->”

To be fair here, Twilight looked just as shocked as the rest of us at that point. Surprise bloomed across her suddenly eerily familiar features, quickly followed by realization and then remorse. If you feel like asking me where I got my sudden proficiency with reading alien-equine facial features, then you want the same answer I was hoping for. Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, Twilight found something to question herself. “<-Why would you call Equestrian ‘Welsh’?->”

I rapidly searched through my knew inventory of words and meanings for any words strong enough to convey my anger. ‘You pile of goddess-forsaken, half baked, moonpie-covered, worm-ridden, horseapples’ didn't quite cover it. Luckily for me, some…pony else intervened.

“<-Twilight, cut it with the horseapples” (Yep, that seemed like the peak of their fowl language) “and tell me why this alien can suddenly talk to us?!->” Rainbow Dash awkwardly fluttered around in front of the Alicorn.

Under the glares of all assembled, Twilight dithered before settling on an answer. She tried to regain some of her previous haughty anger as she stated blandly. “<-You said you wanted to talk to him right? Well now you can: I gave Marc here an understanding of Equestrian.->”

I almost missed her excuse because Pinkie had suddenly decided to see how much of my vision she could block all at once while she studied my face, staring scarily into my eyes. I grabbed her shoulders and moved her aside for a second, eliciting an “eep” from the poor pony. “<-Later…->” I mumbled before putting my frazzled brain to Twilight’s declaration.

Everyone else seemed to breathe a sigh of relief at that, as if just shunting information into my brain was quite alright. Andrew even stepped forward and asked, “Well…maybe it would be useful if you did the same thing to…”

“Now hold on!” I shouted unnecessarily, “<I know that you can’t just put information into a brain: You erased something! What was it? Childhood memories? Schooling? Bits of my vocabulary…” I trailed off there, suddenly realizing something that was missing, “<-You knocked out all my Russian lessons, didn’t you? And my German…Hell, I can’t remember how to say hello in ANY languages aside from English and your Equestrian!->” I turned to Andrew and explained, “She knocked every other non-English word I knew and replaced it with pony-welsh, mate.”

Twilight once again looked a little cornered again, her friends looking at her in shock. I swear I heard Applejack growling. Rarity looked mildly confused as she asked, “<-So clarify for a friend, Twilight: Did you actually erase this…Marc’s memories and teach him Equestrian with that little tiff of yours?->”

Twilight dumbly nodded, shoulders dropping in defeat. Rarity shook her head in disapproval and clucked her tongue. Rainbow Dash stood on one of the couches (Probably the highest place she could climb on short notice) and tapped a hoof to her chin before proclaiming, “<-Twi, that was one really mean thing to do. Like, couldn't you just be a translator like I kept asking you yesterday?->”

I sighed and looked down. I pinched the bridge of my nose in an attempt to calm myself. “<-Okay, whatever. It’s not gonna do any good to argue about it now, is it? Twilight, I’m seriously pissed at you right now. You pull one more trick like this and I swear to all that is holy…Just don’t pull it again.->” I turned and looked forlornly out of the huge glass doors. The sun was barely at midday.

This had to have been one of the worst holidays I’d ever had. I sighed and lowered my still pounding head to the cool glass, letting it soothe the pain building constantly behind my eyes. I thought about everything I had planned to do while in this beautiful city: I did not want to spend all my time in this almost clinical apartment with a bunch of living animations, even less now that I could understand their mutterings behind me. I never did like crowded spaces, and right now, this space felt seriously overpopulated.

“<-So why do you keep saying we speak ‘Welsh’, exactly?->”

I banged my head a little too hard into the surface before me, tensing, before relenting. I turned to face the most singularly annoying being in my life at that point: Twilight had her head canted over at a curious angle, with large questioning eyes that seemed to be perfectly designed to be disarmingly cute. No wonder Celestia gives her bloody everything…

...?...?...?...

Now I had a question.

“<-I’ll answer yours if you answer mine?->” I asked reasonably.

She balked slightly, then nodded. Her animosity had disappeared instantly in her search for knowledge, a most curious fact, not solely because it was a sentiment I could grudgingly sympathize with. “<-Well, okay then. It’s like this: My grandmother came from a place called Wales – Just wait a minute Twilight, first things first – In Wales, they used to speak a language we know as Welsh. She used to speak it to me when I was really young. I always thought it sounded lyrical, you see, and she humoured me a lot. I noticed earlier that your language sounded strikingly similar, but now that I can speak it…->” I hoped that didn’t sound as bitter as it tasted to say, “<-I see differences, not the least of which is how you ponies seem to nearly sing whatever it is you’re saying, while even I can hear my flat accent.->” I gestured uselessly with my hands while trying to explain, only to stop completely when Pinkie Pie started to try and catch my waving limbs like a cat after a laser light.

Someone needed to get this pony some serious Ritalin.

Twilight looked down, deep in thought for a while, muttering to herself, “<-Now that is interesting…->” She looked up when I coughed politely, interrupting her reverie. She huffed before waving a hoof vaguely in a gesture I guessed meant for me to continue. “<-Okay then. Do you know about the TV show we have on this world about you guys?->”

That got her attention. Her head shot up, looking at me sharply. She shook her head with a violent jerk, a gesture that clearly meant less ‘Negative’ and more ‘Shut the fuck up’. Unfortunately, since I was speaking pony, she wasn’t the only one to hear me. Pinkie stopped inspecting my hands to look up at me. She took a deep breath, a question well formed in her eyes, before Rainbow Dash cannoned off her perch on the couch into the pink pony, sending her flying across the room. “<-You aliens know about my awesome flying skills?! Sweet!->” Rainbow Dash continued randomly celebrating in the most outlandishly ignorant way.

I dragged her back down to size without hesitation. “<-So far Dash, I have seen no flying skills whatsoever: It’s pretty clear you cannot fly.->”

I almost felt apologetic when her face dropped from radiant to stricken. Almost. She began to slink back up to her perch on the couch, muttering something about ‘being too cramped in here’ and ‘spell after-effects’ as I turned back to Pinkie. I pointed at the TV and said for all to hear: “<-That’s the TV. There is a show that we can watch on there in with you six are the main characters. I was just asking Twilight,->” I turned back to the lavender alicorn, “<-if she knew anything about it, and how much of it could possibly be true, if any. It’s weird for me to look at you guys and feel like I should already know your characters when I know that’s probably not the case->”

Fluttershy squeaked and dived violently. Rarity preened and cast about the room in the most outlandish fashion. Rainbow Dash perked her ears as her wings spread halfway, ready to show off, even though she actually couldn't. Applejack looked around nervously, coming to the logical conclusion that they were all being watched. Pinkie stared at the TV as if it were God. Twilight stared at me in a way that seriously made me wonder if either I or she or both of us would burst into flames at any given moment. All the ponies held their poses just long enough for me to appreciate them all, and then at once broke out into cacophonous questioning.

The massive chatter completely eluded my newly acquired grasp of their language. Twilight actually facehoofed, causing Andrew and I to grin in a slightly manic way, then reared up and brought her forehooves crashing into the expensive tiles of my uncles apartment, creating a loud and unnatural ringing noise that shut everypony up and brought a pained grimace to my face. Andrew however, found himself wrestling with Pinkie for control of the TV remote. “Can you calm her down and tell me what the hell is going on?!” He shouted, apparently unamused at being the only person out of sync.

Twilight threw another annoyed glance at Pinkie, and then the freakiest thing happened: Twilight...inhaled...but not through her mouth, but through her...Skin? Soul? I don’t know how to explain it, but I could feel Twilight get stronger as Pinkie Pie decidedly deflated.

Let’s just say that it was one of the most disturbing things I have ever witnessed. If I didn't know better, I’d say that Twilight Sparkle had just sucked the life force out of Pinkie Pie. I stared, slack-jawed and dry-mouthed, at a completely de-energized Pink pony. She seemed draped on her own bones, barely sitting up at all, and swaying absurdly before Andrew caught her.

“<-...Wha...appened...?->” she mumbled. Andrew and I both turned our ashen faces to the reserved alicorn, who ignored us, and her friends, who wore equally confused expressions.

Instead, she looked me in the eye and said. “<-Do you have a repository of information about this ‘show’ that I could go through? I need to research this matter before I can answer your question.->”

This may seem absurd to you right now, but trust me when I say that I understood, somehow, that behind those distant and frozen eyes, I saw the depths of remorse. Twilight was faking this 'stiff upper lip' thing. Now its not that I’m not deep or anything, I just knew. Maybe because my dad used to do the same thing, or something more ethereal, but I was certain. And that is why, when Andrew leapt up and swore explosively at Twilight, I pulled him back with a gentle word, “Mate, just look after Pinkie. I’ll handle her.”

He stared at me, like I had stabbed him in the back, but I pushed past that, secure in my conviction that I was missing a piece of the puzzle, one that would explain the disparity within these six creatures, and particularly Twilight, with whom I now shared a detestably irrevocable bond. With this in mind, I pulled out my phone and , after a few commands, waved it at my laptop, waking it from its slumber in its position on the kitchen counter.

I took the opportunity to show off the gadgets at my disposal: My laptop whirred slightly, and the TV came alive. A wireless keyboard and mouse blinked on the coffee table. The printer, scanner, and server computer buzzed in the background. It was an insanely complicated and annoying system, but it sure got Twilight’s attention.

I pointed at the TV and proclaimed, “<-There, you now have access to the near entirety of information gathered by humanity. Welcome to the Internet; I will be your guide...->”

Why do I have to be so dumb sometimes?

In any event, Twilight didn’t seem at all interested in what I had to say. Neither did anyone/pony else, actually. Andrew didn't give a damn about fancy electronics now that he had a charge to take care of, but that particular charge had not missed the new and exciting buzz and blink of the gaudy setup, and began twitching left to right just to catch a glimpse of the shiny buttons. Rarity, too, seemed overawed by the show of organization, but Rainbow Dash and Applejack both seemed sceptical. Of course. one of them was not about to allow her concerns go unheard: “<-So these flashing lights and that panel thing contain ALL of your country’s knowledge? Now that’s horseapples if I ever saw them!->” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, jumping at the TV for a closer inspection.

Applejack pulled the confrontationary Pegasus back from the screen with words of caution; “<-Now don’t you go breakin’ nothin’ Rainbow! Ah know that ‘e sounds crazier’n’rooster in a top hat, but we ain’t exactly in the know ‘ere, are we?->”

I smiled and nodded appreciatively to the orange mare before turning back to Twilight, who had traced the hub of the system quite correctly to my laptop. She looked intently at it for so long that I felt I needed to interrupt. “<-Hey, Twi...->”

“<-Is it connected to all this information right now?->” She popped.

I swear she was just waiting to cut me off like that...

“<-Yes, it is. Usually we use those things on the table down there to go through it...->”

“That won’t be necessary. I can follow the energy patterns and learn all the signatures given a few hours. I’ll get back to you in the morning. For now, would you mind feeding my friends? Some fruit would do them well, and...Pinkie will need a lot of easily digestible sugars, if you don’t mind.>” With that awkward final utterance, she continued with completely ignoring me.

I felt the rising anger of being treated like servant rise like bile in my throat, but kept it bottled this time around. Instead I decided to leave Twilight turn her head into a biological Google and take an inventory of our supplies. Considering we should be planning for five days, things looked grim.

Unless we could convince the ponies subsist of the freakishly large amount of bacon that we had in the fridge, but I figured that was a long shot...

Instead, I decided that a food order would not go amiss. A simple phonecall down to the lobby and I was assured that my rather large (And very vegan) order would be sent up within fifteen minutes.

This, though, was not a situation I had planned for. I looked around for a minute, and then said out to all the ponies, "<-I just ordered you all a meal, but I have to ask you to, uh, hide, so that no one sees you and freaks out the building any more than our noise already has.->"

They complied with almost no resistance, which actually seemed like a bit of an anticlimax to me, but I did hear Rarity muttering, "<-I cannot believe I am reduced to hiding like common urchin, really...->"

Of course I laughed, wouldn't you?

Rarity's glare was lost on me as I noticed a flaw in my plan. Fluttershy stood in the lounge, next to Andrew and over a still somewhat dazed Pinkie Pie. Fluttershy's gentle nuzzles brought Pinkie back to the waking word as Andrew lifted the weak pony in his arms with the practiced ease borne of hours of animal husbandry and carried her towards the spare room with the utmost delicacy, throwing an almost poisonous glare at Twilight, who didn't even notice as she levitated my laptop along with her to the room. Andrew shelved his misgivings and walked in behind her, and Fluttershy...nearly followed.

It just so happened that ponies can be rather jumpy. And since this was Fluttershy, the simple sound of the door bell going off may as well been a Czar Bomb. I must say that Fluttershy's 'eep', is entirely adorable, but it was lost on me when her body simply dropped into a catatonic state, leaving me with a full sized Fluttershy lying stiffly in the entrance to the apartment.

I reacted as only a sane man would. When I saw the lock begin to turn in the door, I spun and grabbed Fluttershy up from the floor and tossed her over the couch. I winced when she hit the ground with a soft 'thunph'. "Sorry" I mouthed as I turned and faced the room service guy with Cheshire cat grin. He nodded with a mild smile himself. "Here you are your orders, sir, I'll just bring them in for you."

I almost leapt forward. "No, no! Thank you! That's more than good enough..."

He chuckled, as he pushed the overly laden cart part me and right over to the couch. He threw a tremendous double take at the prone figure of a now clearly past-out Fluttershy. He looked at her figure for a long few seconds. In the corner of my eye, I saw Andrew standing at the ready, a candle-holder held ready for the lunge...

The busboy turned to me with a grin and said, "It's amazing how realistic they make these plushies nowadays isn't it, sir? Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. A package was outside your door as well, sir, I assumed it was yours, and put it on the bottom rack there. Good evening sir."

I heard him muttering something about 'crazy fruit and pony fetishes' as he left, but I couldn't help but let forth a blasting breath of relief. Andrew slumped out of his hiding place, chucking the light holder behind him. Ponies came tumbling out behind him, and they congregated around the stricken Fluttershy, nuzzling her into wakefulness. I staggered over to the cart and threw off the cover, calling out, "<-Hey, Applejack, look what I got you! Oranges!->" I tossed a fruit in her direction and watched her recoil in horror, only to watch an apple fall harmlessly at her hooves. With a nervous chuckle, she bent and picked up the fruit before tucking in. I turned to Rainbow Dash. "<-I didn't know what to order you, but I ordered some kiwis and freshly squeezed apple juice for you. It ain't cider, but I hope you enjoy.->" Rarity glanced at the cart as I pulled out a truly splendid salad thing I had been offered by Reception. She seemed to find it fancy enough, so I handed to her. The important thing was that there was enough produce here, ranging from carrots to strawberries to rocket and all manner of tropical fruits, to last the group at least two days. But the most important thing was yet to come: I called Andrew over and handed him a gigantic locally grown watermelon half.

"Give that to Pinkie, there's no faster way to absorb sugars than with this baby." I droned. Andrew nodded and carried the watermelon into the spare room. He beat a hasty retreat, followed by sounds I'd always thought heralded the end of all things, but at least I couldn't actually see the mess Pinkie was sure to be making right then. Twilight poked a head around the door to see what had happened, but before she could ask any questions: "<-Hey, Twi, check out my documents folder, my fanfiction is in there.->" Without a word, she withdrew to explore yet more of the virtual library I had given her. With all the ponies distracted from what could have been a near disaster, I finally allowed myself to collapse.

I fell into the small chair by the door and slumped down in thought. My eyes traced the room as my blank brain tried to recongeal from primordial goo into a usable organ. Andrew stood and looked out of the window wall with a sigh. “Oh, look, they've turned on the Waterfront Lights...” he noted dully.

I smiled at him reassuringly, because I didn't know what else to do. “Heya, mate, don’t worry too much. C’mon, we’ll grab a drink and head on outside where I can explain today...Heh, as much to me as to you!”

I grabbed two bottles from the fridge that looked alcoholic and strode over past the cart on my way to the master bedroom where Andrew had yanked open the glass doors, exposing the room to the cool evening breeze blowing off the Atlantic Ocean. On the way, I turned slightly and bent an arm onto the bottom rack of the food trolley, pulling out the brown paper-wrapped package the bus-boy had mentioned, figuring it must just be one of my uncle's mail-orders that he had forgotten to cancel. I loped through the master bedroom, looking behind me to make sure nopony had followed us outside before gently closing the door. I popped the caps off our bottles and sat down next to Andrew on the lawn chairs on the balcony, the package dropped next to me. Andrew looked at me expectantly. I chuckled nervously, “So, mate, what do ya think of the view? Pretty, uh, ‘snazzy’, huh?”

His growl must have been audible at least three floors down, “Mate, tell me what the hell happened in there today, and don’t just cut out the important stuff as usual.”

I almost defended myself from his jab, but, on second thought, I had to admit that I had been a bit negligent towards my best friend. We were supposed to rely on each other, but I had spent most of this experience fighting it all off on my own, especially today. But he was my friend: that meant I could rely on him too. With a sigh, I explained everything to my attentive audience of one.

But I couldn’t help but wonder if somepony in the apartment could stand to learn the same lesson I had.

It didn't take all that long, since apparently I had been passed out against the glass for a few hours, and that meant I had lost a good portion of the day. This didn't bug me a bit, though: I had a habit of passing out when blasted in the head you see, and quite frankly by now it just seemed like a way of avoiding the stress.

We lay across from one another, sipping our drinks, staring at the rising moon. It took all of ten minutes before my mind drifted off, and I found myself bored. My eyes locked onto the brown package next to me, and my fingers followed shortly after. A part of me stated that I shouldn't be digging through my uncle's dodgy post, but I also knew that with the wreck we'd made of his apartment, this wouldn't really change his reaction. Andrew craned over when he heard the tearing of paper and packing tape, only to join me in staring in absolute shock at the emerging item.

I had expected any number of things: laundry, a package from a girlfriend, a bomb, dirty money, proof that my uncle was part of the drug trade...All of these would have been less surprising than finding Sarah's tog bag on my lap once again.

"Oh shit, dude!" Andrew's concise exclamation cut through the calm night air, and pushed me into action. I pulled off the remnants of the paper (No stamps, so hand delivered) and unzipped it. Within was the same bundle of fabrics that had filled it before, plus a note. I reached into the bag to retrieve it, but paused. Andrew was so close he was practically in the bag himself at this point. "Well? Wha' does it say?"

I steeled myself, built my fortitude and...

Zipped the bag back up and tossed it through the open sliding door and under the bed. With and explosive sigh, I leaned back, staring at the visible stars with interest I had suddenly grown from nowhere. Andrew glared at me, nonplussed.

I tried to ignore him, but he just kept staring. I hate it when people star at me. So, to break the silence, I threw my drink up in the air in a salute. "A toast! To life being needlessly complicated!"

Andrew's only response was a slight chuckle as he gently clinked his bottle to mine and laid back in his seat. Whatever was to happen tomorrow, it would happen then, but tonight we were just two friends on holiday looking at the stars, ignoring what had and would happen, just for that moment of peace we had been allowed.

After all, never look a gift-horse in the mouth, right?

Author's Note:

Edited AGAIN. I think it's correct now, so yeah. Things should be getting clearer for you now, too.