• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 2,917 Views, 170 Comments

Broken wings and broken dreams - Torroza



What does Rainbow do when she loses one of the things that means most to her, her ability to fly?

  • ...
20
 170
 2,917

Chapter 1 (Edited)

Twilight was sitting in a couch in the waiting room with Scootaloo. She was thinking back on what had happened the past hours.
Scootaloo had returned with a couple of unicorns from the hospital that did a quick check and bandaging on Rainbows wounds. They said that her quick thinking with the magical field over the wounded wing probably saved Rainbow's life. And then brought her back to the hospital.
She was stopped at the door to the emergency door. They said that the doctor needed all concentration he could get to be albe to do the surgery and that he wouldn't be able to do just that if she and Scootaloo was in the room.
So they were now waiting while Rainbow was undergoing a operation in the emergency room.

Hours passed while they sat in silence.
Eventually Scootaloo broke the silence when she asked."Twilight, will Rainbow be ok?"
She looked up at Twilight with tears in her eyes.
Twilight hugged her and whisperd."Yes, she will be fine."
Scootaloo hugged Twilight tight as she started to cry. Twilight just sat there, letting her cry at her shoulder while she gently rubbed the fillys back with her hoof and whispered."Hush now, it will be fine, you'll see. It will be fine."
Scootaloo eventually fell asleep, exhausted. Twilight smiled down at the sleeping filly.

She then looked over at the clock that sat on the wall, It showed 11 pm. They had now waited for almost ten hours.

A nurse came with a blanket that Twilight gently draped around herself and the still sleeping Scootaloo.
She quietly thanked the nurse and asked if she knew anything about Rainbow, but the nurse just shook her head and walked away.

Twilight then just sat there staring at the door that led into the corridor were the hospital rooms were. She too eventually fell asleep.

Twilight was woken up by a gentle shake on her shoulder. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes with her hoof and then looked up to see Apple Jack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Fluttershy stand their with a concerned look at their faces.
Apple Jack was the first one too speak."Y'all alright there sugarcube?"
Twilight just shook her head and then looked down at the still sleeping Scootaloo who had curved up to a ball beside her
She looked up at them and said. "I thought you wasn't supposed to be back until the day after tomorrow?" She had a confused look.
Apple Jack answered."Well, we got a message from Princess Celestia about that Rainbow had gotten hurt. Apparently she had watched it all from her balcony up in Canterlot through a telescope." She smiled a little.
Twilight merely nodded. She made a mental note to talk with the princess about spying on the private life.

She took a quick glance at the clock. It was showing 9 am.

Rarity then spoke."Darling, do you think you can tell us what it was that happened? We only know that Rainbow the poor dear was in some sort accident."
Twilight looked at up Rarity and then the others. Tears started to form in her eyes when she thought back about what had happend they day before. She then look down at the floor. Tears now streaming down her chins.
Fluttershy quitely said."You don't need to tell us Twilight, we understand if it hurts to think about." She went up to Twilight and laid a comforting wing over her back.
Twilight fought back a sob and then said."No, you deserve to know, you are her friends after all."

She then looked up at them and wiped away the tears with her hoof. She took a deep breath and then said."Scootaloo and I were watching Rainbow practice her stunt flying out on the meadow."
She fought hard to not start cry again."All went well until she was going into a high altitude dive."
She could no longer hold back her tears and started to sob."She lost control of the dive and started to spin. She managed to pull out of the dive in the last second, but then she...she...". Twilight just fell down on the couch and cried.

Flutter gently stroke Twilights back with her wing and said."Sh, it's okay Twilight, it's okay. Everything will be fine."
The others looked at Twilight with compassion written all over their faces. They walked up to her and gave her a big hug.
She stopped crying after a little while and then looked at all of her friends, one at a time and then said."Thanks girls, i don't know what i should do without you." She managed to smiled a little.
Pinkie Pie gave her a big smile and then said."Probably be a sad and boring Twily stuck up in Canterlot."
Twilight giggled a little at that.

A small yawn was heard. Twilight looked down and saw that Scootalo was awake. She bent down and nuzzled her."Hey there Scootaloo, slept well?"
Scootaloo only nodded. She looked around at the other mares. She saw Rarity and Apple Jack first though. "Rarity, Apple Jack. Have you seen Sweetie Belle or Applebloom?"
Rarity shook her head. "I'm terribly sorry but she is staying at a relative in Hoffington at the moment. But Apple Jack nodded. "She should be at the farm right now, do you want me to go her for you?"
Scootaloo nodded. Apple Jack smiled. "I guess i will get going then." She started to walk towards the door. Just before she left the room Twilight called."AJ, can you get us something to eat? We haven't eaten since lunch yesterday."
Apple Jack looked back and smiled."Sure as sugar."

After around half an hour Apple Jack came back, with her she had Applebloom and tons of sandwiches.
Applebloom ran straight up to Scootaloo and hugged her tightly. Scootaloo started to cry again while Applebloom did her best trying to comfort her. Meanwhile Applejack were dealing out the sandwiches to the others. One each, except for Twilight and Scootaloo who got three each.
Twilight took her and Scootaloo's sandwiches in her magic and gently nuzzled Scootaloos mane. "Scootaloo, you need to eat." Scootaloo looked up and saw the sandwiches hanging in the air in front of her. She took it and devoured it immediatly. She looked around for more. The other ones just looked first and then laughed. Twilight shook her head and smiled. "Little sister to Rainbow Dash indeed." She took a bite of her own sandwich while she gently sat Scootaloo's two other sandwiches down in front of the little filly.

Just when Twilight and Scootaloo had finished their sandwiches a nurse came out to them. She looked at them and said."Rainbow Dash just woke up, you can visit her now. She is in room seven."

Before anyone could react Twilight had had teleported herself to room seven, Scootaloo was up running through the doors to the corridor almost as fast.

Twilight appeared with a magical flash and saw Rainbow laying in the bed, bandages all over her body. Rainbow saw the magical flash and then Twilight. She smiled and weakly said."Hey there Twi."
Twilight ran up to her and gave her a hug. Rainbow flinched a little due to that the hug laid pressure on her wounds. Twilight noticed and quickly took a step back and looked down."Sorry.."
Rainbow extended a hoof and slowly stroke her mane."It's okay Twilight. I've had worse."
Just in that moment Scootaloo entered the room and screamed."Rainbow Dash!" She then ran up the side of the bed and jumped up on it and laid down beside her surrogate sister.
Rainbow looked at the filly and smiled."Hi there squirt, how are you doing?" She gave her gentle nuzzle.
Scootaloo smiled."Better now when i know you're okay sis."
Rainbow chuckled and gave her mane a ruffle with her hoof."Good to hear little sis."
The little filly made herself comfortable and pressed herself as close as possible to Rainbow without adding to much pressure on her wounds.
Twilight smiled down at the filly.

Then the other enters the room. Rarity is the first one to speak."Rainbow darling, it's good to see that you are awake."
Apple Jack joined in."Darn tooting it is." Applebloom nodded to agree with her sister.
Pinkie ran up to her best friend and gave her a gentle hug. Rainbow returned the hug and nodded towards the others.

Rarity then asked."Rainbow dear, what was it that happened. Twilight here tried to explain what happened but she couldn't really handle to think about it. No offence Twilight."
Twilight nodded and said."None taken."
Rainbow sighed and then said."I went really high and then dove to do a Sonic Rainboom. But something went wrong, i just lost control. I couldn't control my descent. I managed to pull out just above the ground. But my wings were locked in place so i couldn't control were i was going, and then i crashed full speed into the apple orchard."
She rubbed the back of her head awkwardly and said."Sorry about that Apple Jack, i hope i didn't do to much damage to the trees." She had a sheepish smile on her face.
Apple Jack just shook her head and said."Them trees can be replaced Rainbow, can't say tha same about you. Ahm glad ya made it out alive."
Rainbow nodded at what she said. She then looked at all her friends and smiled. She said."Thanks girls, for coming here. But no need to worry. I soon be out of there flying around like nothing happened."

Just in that moment the doctor entered the room and said."I hate to be the one coming with bad news Miss.Dash, but so will not be the case."
Rainbow looked over to him with a puzzled look at her face."Do you mean that i need to be at the hospital for a long time?"
The doctor looked at her with a sad look and then said."No, you can leave the hospital in a week or two, what i meant is that you will not be flying around like nothing happened." He took a deep breath."Actually, you will not be flying at all."

Author's Note:

There we go, chapter one. Please don't forget to leave a comment with your opinion. What was good, what was bad.

I did some editing on this chapter. I changed some parts. Added some stuff, erased some other stuff. Corrected some grammar faults that i spotted. I hope you like it. I will edit chapter 2&3 as soon as i can.

I want to thank NyuuChanDiannePie for letting me use his picture as my coverart. Go on and check out his deviantart page. He has some amazing stuff there.