• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 2,917 Views, 170 Comments

Broken wings and broken dreams - Torroza



What does Rainbow do when she loses one of the things that means most to her, her ability to fly?

  • ...
20
 170
 2,917

Chapter 10

Rainbow looked around the burning city of Manehattan, pillars of smoke rising up towards the sky, painted red by the fire beneath. It were dead ponies and gryphons everywhere she turned. She kept on flying in hope to find any survivors of her squad. Her squad....

They had been sent to the eastern part of the city to reinforce their defence line. But they had arrived to late. The gryphons had already broken through. When they got there the were ambushed. She managed to escape, but with a wounded shoulder and she didn't know if any of her squadmates made it out alive.
She looked around desperatly for any surving ponies. She wasn't sure she couldn't make it out of here on her own. With her wound she wasn't in any capable shape to fight.

A shriek was heard from above her, she looked up and saw a gryphon dive towards her, talons gleaming in the little sunlight that the smoke let through. She made a dive to the left in hope of avoiding it and escape through speed. She swept through the streets, making sharp turns. She glanced back and saw the gryphon closing in. She muttered a curse about her wounded shoulder slowing her down.

Suddenly a pegasi swept down and kicked the gryphon in the neck, making it fall and crash into the ground.
Rainbow stopped and looked at the pegasi with tears in her eyes.
"Cloud Kicker, your alive! I thought you went down with the others of the fifth platoon"
The grey pegasi mare swept here blonde mane aside and looked sadly at her.
"I was sent of to call for reinforcments just before we were attacked, i'm the only survivor."
Rainbow flew up and hugged the mare who started to cry into her shoulder.
"Snowflake, Thunderlane, Cloudchaser, they.... They're all gone...."
Rainbow patted her shoulder and whispered.
"It's okay CK, it's okay. We'll have time to grieve for them later, right now we need to get out of here and try to find the commandpost."
Cloud Kicker looked up and and swept away her tears with a forhoof.
"Ay, you're right capti"
She were cut of by an arrow striking her stright in the head, she fell motionless towards the ground.
"Cloud Kicker!"

Rainbow woke up screaming her name.
Twilight were already awake and gently hugged her. "That dream again?"
Rainbow nodded while she sobbed into her marefriends shoulder. "It's not fair, it's not fair."
The lavander unicorn she hugged her tighter and whispered. "It's okay dash, it's okay."
After a little while the cyan pegasi fell asleep once again. Twilight stayed awake slowly stroking her mane and quitly singing her a lullaby.

Author's Note:

A little reminder about the gryphon war. And a little bit of a backstory of Rainbow Dash.
I know it's sidetracking from the main story, but i've had this in my head for a little while and i just needed to get it out.
Hope you guys don't crucify me for killing of some of the side characters. :S