• Published 7th Apr 2013
  • 865 Views, 10 Comments

The Shadow Lands - kento124



A kingdom in a world of two moon, a king out for land and only one who could warn their world"

  • ...
5
 10
 865

Rain and Tears

The rain seemed to be never ending as it pound across the city streets. Days like this are just the worst, she though waving out for an oncoming cab. It raced by striking a near by puddle, sending a small wave of water crashing onto her.

“Aug…Christ, is every cab driver in this city an asshole?” She vented looking in the direction of the cab raced to.

“Vinyl, would you just get over here. With that last splash and the down pouring rain, you’re completely soaked.” She turns back to the site of her mare friend in a back alleyway next to an old butcher shop. The dime light seemed to make her dull gray coat shimmer a bit.

“Aw, don’t you like it when I’m wet? It seems that these darn cab drivers do.” She said giving another glare to a passing cab that she thought purposefully ran through a rather large puddle that formed by the curb.

“Word dose travel fast so I’m not to surprise about it.” Octavia managed to say with a halfhearted grin. She let out a sad sign as she made her way over to Octavia.

“It’s not your fault, it those upstart prick fault. What nerve boycotting the orchestra shows because of your personal life? That's just stupid.” She couldn’t forgive those over privileged idiots, not only did they get Octavia fired but they black listed her to. She wouldn't be able to play any were in Canterlot now.

“I know but that doesn’t change what they did. I knew this might happen, it's almost written in their DNA.” Octavia commented as her deep lavender eyes reflect the sadness in her words. The sheer look causes her heart to ache, Why do most ponies hate Fillyfoolers so much? As that question lingered in her mind, she stepped close to her slowly give a small nudge.

“We will figure something out so don’t lose hope.” Octavia looked up to see Vinyl confident smiling.

“Thanks,” pausing as she steps back giving a small cough trying to break that sad tone of the conversation. “I wonder when the rain will stop.”

Vinyl gave a small chuckle at the jester, “Well I hope soon because being wet is making very cold.”

“Man, it’s been like hours and it still hasn’t let up,” She commented looking up the fearful sky. The clouds looked to be getting darker as loud shocks of thunder echoed the alleyway. After the last roar of thunder hit, a strange sound of something crashing came from the alleyway. They both turn to see what it was, only to notice a pony at its far end. Vinyl tried to make out who it was but with the distance and lack of light made it hard.

“He seems to be a drunk,” she commented as he seems to be swaying a bit.

“Are you alright sir?” She heard Octavia call out. Just as she called out, he collapses near a pair of garbage cans send them scattering. The alleyway remains silent for a time until a new crack of thunder rang through.

“Maybe we should see if he’s alright?” Octavia asked looking to Vinyl for an answer. She contemplates the thought, Well if he is a drunk, it might get a little weird but if he's hurt, Tavi might... While she was in thought, she got a small nudge from Octavia.

“Alright well go see if he's okay but if the guys a drunk we’re ditching him. No questions asked.” She stated as Octavia gave a quick nod in agreement. They slowly proceeded forward, through the damp alleyway. The smell of garbage was what one might call the smell death made her cringe.

It was such a god awful smell, none of this can be sanitary, Octavia though. With every step she took, a new and more disgusting idem appeared. She looked to Vinyl, finding her face unchanging to the smell as she uncaringlly walked past the unruly sight that was the butcher’s dumpster.

“He better be dying, this is beyond disgusting.” She whispered under her breath. Thankfully, Vinyl didn’t hear her little threat. She knew the DJ would hold it over her calling it Unladylike like. As they approached the other end of the alley, he took note the pony was a stallion.

“Hey dude…you’ll all right?” She heard Vinyl ask. There was no audible response, as somepony’s air condition kicked in. Vinyl gave her a quick glance, giving a Can we just leave him? look. Octavia couldn’t just leave it at that. Even if the Canterlot Elite turned their backs on her she just couldn't do that next pony she meet. She slowly stepped closer toward the alleys opening, trying to get a better look at the stallion. She instantly regretted the idea as the ghastly site came into view.

Most ponies get squeamish during a horror movie and those lame detective shows and their ‘gore.’ Octavia could hardly handle batter and eyelash at them, ‘Just seemed too fake’ she would say. The site before her though stopped her cold. There he was, laying there, cover in blood slowly gasping for air. He seemed to have been in a fire as there were spots of singe fur. The site of something white was pertruding out of his front for leg with blood slowly oozing out. It took about a minute before what she saw hit her mind.

The blood-curdling scream that Octavia let out nearly destroyed what was left of vinyl’s hearing. Vinyl raced up to her, site of a severely beaten stallion covered in blood laid before her. What seemed to be bone, was slightly sticking out of one of his for legs. With the pitcher of such a sit engraved into her mind. She quickly began to vomit, rushing out of the alley into the down pouring rain.

“Sweet Celestia. Octy, we have to get him to a hospital!” Vinyl’s voice was barely audible over the rain.

Octavia barley begun to think over what she just saw and the uneasy feeling in her stomach didn't help. All she could was mouth the word, “How?” Vinyl looked back and forth between the as the site of a cab came into view of a nearby intersection. With thin a few seconds she bolted out onto the street, jumping up onto her high hoofs; waiving. The sequence of the cab nearly hitting Vinyl as stood in front of it nearly causes her to die of shock.

“What in the Saint Bloody Mary, do you think you’re doing!?” She heard the low grumble of the cab driver. She could barely make out the driver due to the rain but Vinyl’s voice came apparent.

“We need you to take us to Canterlot General! There’s an injured pony the nearby alley who needs medical attention!” her voice seemed to be a bit shaky as the driver gave a chuckle.

“Like I take a miscreant like you and the friend of yours any ware. Now move!” Being a DJ in Canterlot, you get use to those type of ponies that are just ass hole for the fun of it. She always dealt with them in stride but with passions strained, she might of went over bored. With a slight cast of a levitation spell, the cab driver was ripped from his seat to a few inches from vinyl’s face.

“Wait what-“he was surprised by her actions; Vinyl quickly cutting him off before he could protest.

“You will take us there or I will give next cab drive an even more reason better reason to.” The cab drive simply stared at the pale white pony, trying to penetrate her dark shades. “If that doesn’t work I’ll just go ahead and get my self-arrested.” She said as a grin slowly built up on her face. The dull brown stallion just stared on until what it struck him.

“N-no, there will b-be no need for that! It was Canterlot General correct?” He stated as he wave his front hooves back and forth.

Through the whole altercation, Octavia was just regaining her composure thinking ‘It’s all right, it’s all be ok. Just some… well a lot of blood. Lord there’s so much. Why is there so much?’

“Oh dear Celestia!” She snapped out of her mental thought as she looked over toward the voice. The cab driver was apparently had picking up the injured stallion as soft hoof was felt on her shoulder.

“Tavi, are you alright?”

“I’m fine vinyl. It was… just a bit much on the blood.” She turns to meet her rich crimson eyes worrying about her. She tried to give a, You can stop worrying smile, which sadly, never seems to work. Vinyl simple shook her head.

“You and those lavender eyes are just too easy to read. Come on, I finally got use a ride,” she nodded over to the cab.

“Yes and all you need to do was stand in the middle of the street and threaten a poor old stallion to death.”

The ride to the hospital was smooth, or would of been if the drive hadn’t blown past three intersection’s and nearly run over a pony. This was kind of driving she expected Vinyl to do, if the public service committee would ever put her behind the driver seat that is. The cab banked a hard left turn, which nearly threw her out of the cab’s window. They were at least forty-minutes away from Canterlot general but with the payment of five years of her life, the made it in fifteen.

By the time they pulled up near the emergency drop off doors, they had at least several members of the Canterlot police force following them. By this time they stop, Octavia was mostly in a daze. She all most didn’t notice the hospital staff pulling the hurt stallion out of the cab or that vinyl was chatting up the police. She was about to follow the emergency care staff, when elderly voice tried to get her attention.

“Miss, if I could have a minute?” The turned to see it was the old cab driver. The thought of talking to him right now seem ‘vexing.’

“If your here to complain about Vinyl, I wish not to hear it. I get enough of that from the police when have shut down some party she DJ at. Now if you’ll excuse me.” Octavia’s tone was a bit harsh but she thought he deserved it for his comment from before. As she began to turn back to the emergency care entrance, he quick tried to say something.

“I would like to apologies for my comment from before,” his words cause Octavia to stop and look back at the old stallion. “Being a cab driver here in Canterlot can really test a pony’s patients. It’s just before your,” he paused to glace a Vinyl, she was now arguing with the cop. “Friend ran out in traffic, I kick out the previous occupants a couple streets down for trying to sell something. I’ve seen a lot of things go down in my cab back seats, drug deal, prostitution, and filly/colts rebelling against the public norm in my back seat.”

It took Octavia a minute before it dawned on her what he meant on his last statement. She felt slight embarrass by the idea, giving a slight cough, trying to regain her composure.

“Well mister,” just now realizing she didn’t even know his name.

“Old Timer, don’t worry about saying anything. It was my fault any way,” he slowly handed her a small card. It was just a regular white card with a phone number on it. “It’s my number, if you call and I’m somewhere in the area, with no customers. I’ll drop by and give you a free ride and don’t worry about being frugle with it. It has unlimited uses. Its my way of say sorry.” His smile seem reveling enough as she took the card.

“Thank you, most try to just avoid me these days.” Octavia commented not really catching what she said.

“Well not me. If I saw you instead of the raver, I would of stopped. My daughter is huge fan of yours. You’re the reason she decided to plays the violin,” he gave a small laugh as he turn back to vinyl again. “Don’t worry. I’ll go talk to the police. Before they decide to detain her. If you could tell me if he’s going to make it.”

“I will and thank for the ride.” She promised Old Timer, watching him bow his head before walking over to Vinyl. He quickly got them to let Vinyl leave as he began to explain to them what happened. Thank Celestia, vinyl plus the police equals 24hour detainment, usually. She watched her walk over, grumbling to herself.

“Always the suspicious one, that's a bunch of,”

“Vinyl, the last thing I need is to bail you out of jail again,” She Shook her head at the thought of it happening again.

“They always say it’s me, going on with ‘It’s always the ravers fault.’ There out to get me,” she pleaded, she tried look like a innocent as an angle as she said it.

“Right, your just lucky that stallion doesn’t remember anything about how a stick end up his,” She just couldn’t bring herself to finish the statement, it was just too weird.

“Whatever, It’s still poetic justice”

The ER was hectic, with doctors and nurses rushing back and forth. Apparently, there was a construction accident a little earlier just before they storm hit, something about the foundation collapsing. As some of them past, there injures seem to be quiet serious. She winced as the site of their battered body’s as they passed by, trying not to purge her stomach again. By the time they past, one of the attending g nurses noticed them, they waited for what felt like half an hour.

“Is there something I can do for you,” she asked raising one eyebrow, as to say, What could they possible want?

“Yes, you see we came with a black stallion just a minute ago. We’re just wondering if you could show us where in the hospital he is. We would like to know if he will be all right?” She quickly stated before Vinyl could say anything inappropriate. The nurse gave a slight nod, mouthing what seem like to word ‘right’ as she walked over to a counter talking to what seem to be a receptionist.

“Ok, follow me then,” the nurse said over her shoulder. Both Octavia and Vinyl past each other a glance before fallowing her. Wherever she was taking them, it must have be in the far back of the hospital. For what seemed like ten minutes of similar hallway white walls, lead them to the critical care ward. Octavia’s stomach turned as they entered, I do hope he’s alright.

“If you will wait here, I’ll go find the doctor for the ward,” the nurse stated as she pointed to a small waiting area. It only had a bench with two chairs on the adjacent wall. The coffee table that sat in the middle was a bit of as it was a dark shade of oak. Before Octavia could say anything the already left, leaving only the two of them there.

“Well you wanted more privet time,” Vinyl’s comment spark a little reaction, a small glare from Octavia. It causes vinyl to step back wondering what she did to receive such a glare.

“Vinyl, could you please go sit down on the bench,” her tone almost seemed hauntingly as vinyl gulped, giving a cracked smile.

“S-sure Octy,” she hesitated for a sec before going to sit at the bench. The fact that Octavia following her there, made her wander what she is going to do. ”So,” she began once she sat down. She felt even more confused as Octavia jumped onto the bench.

“You are to be punished for your terrible offense to comedy,” she raised one hoof to cast judgment.

“And the punishment would be,” vinyl asked hoping it wasn’t like the last one. A whole week without wubs was horrible, all because she flipped on the waiter for his ‘attitude.’

“You are here by sentence to shut up and become a pillow till the doctor comes,” slamming down her hoof like a gavel. As Octavia laid her head down on vinyl’s lap, she couldn’t help but think, What a horrible punishment.

For what seemed like minutes turned to hours as the clock on the wall ticked by. Vinyl looked to it for the fifth time tonight, 12:45 it read as its tick stated to bother her. The constant ticking and waiting was slowly driving her insane. It’s been nearly five hours since we got here, she thought, brushing Octavia’s mane as she slept. This really did drained a lot of of her, her thought cut short by a new sound of steps coming from the far hallway. As she stared down the hall, the image of a tall tan stallion in a white lab coat came into view. She gave Octavia a small nudge with her hoof, trying to wake her.

“Ummm, Vinyl you better not need to go to the bathroom,” she heard Octavia grumble shifting her weight a little. Vinyl gave a light chuckle, as the stallion was just a few steps away.

“So,” he stated as his light heart voice caused Octavia to return to the waking world. “Are you the ones who brought him in?” He asked, moving some of his white from his eyes.

“Yes,” Vinyl answered since Octavia seemed to be groggy.

“Right,” he paused to look a clipboard he was caring with him. “I’m going to guess there no relation between him and the two of you. I’m doctor Tella, he's been in my care for last few hours.”

“Is he going to be ok?” Octavia asked as she gained back some coherency from the nap.

“Yes, we managed stop the bleeding and fix some of the fractured bones but there was a problem,” soon as he said ‘problem’ Vinyl could feel Octavia shiver a bit. “Before I say any thing, are you willing to become his care giver?” His question caught vinyl off guard.

“By what do you mean?” She heard Octavia asked wondering the same thing. Doctor Tella laid the clipboard he was holding down on the table, giving a small shrug.

“You see he has multiple bone fractures on his front right leg. There so bad, that a whole chunk of bone was dislodged. The hospital won’t let me operate on it till we know more about him or if you become his Care giver.”

“What, why would they not let you!?” Vinyl blurted out; feeling confused about what he just said.

“It’s because of law dear,” Octavia answered leaving Vinyl confused as the doctor gave a nod agreeing. After taking a deep breath, Octavia stated with a small chuckle, “To answer your question, yes we will. Vinyl always wanted a little Irish pony butler but I guess he’ll have to do.” She knew Vinyl was blushing without even looking, Not as good as a week with those wubs but still satisfying. The doctor gave a small nod as he grabbed his clipboard and left down that same hall he had come.

“Octy, what was that about, and what did you sign us up for?” The sound her being flustered caused her to giggle a bit. She tuned to see Vinyl’s pouting face, She looks adorable. As Vinyl’s face slowly turned to worry, she gave a small cough.

“Dear remember when I told you music wasn’t my mother’s ideal choice for a career,” she paused, her eyes glancing Vinyl and drifted to the clock on the far wall. “Well, she wanted me to be a doctor. A government paid employ always gets paid she would say.” Vinyl stretched of her hoof trying to comfort Octavia, “It’s quiet all right.”

Vinyl knew just the smallest mention of her mother dragged up those sad memories. Sonnet was her name; Octavia was a near spitting image of expect for that mare's lavish blue eye and high Canterlot accent. A traditional family brings traditional ideas on love though. Octavia thought the world of her mother, all ways trying to be just like her. She knew her being a Fillyfooler would devastate her; it nearly killed Octavia just to tell her mother.

It destroyed Octavia when Sonnet disowned her, kicking her out of the house and family. Most of her relative ceased all communication with her, all except her father. Crescendo, the only stallion Vinyl would ever respect. His coat a calming shade of red as his long light brown mane falls neatly behind the ears. Unlike Sonnet he supported Octavia and strangely adored Vinyl, calling her ’His second child.’

This sadly caused them to divorce each other. Crescendo moved into a single bedroom flat and her mother to remarry some high-class snob. Weirdly enough Crescendo preferred it since he owned nearly all of the bars in Canterlot. “A brewer’s son doesn’t need luxury to live,” he would quote whenever anything strange happened.

“It’s all right Vinyl,” Octavia gave a small nudge with her snout. “So back to the topic. Even if Equestria have governmental health care, it only goes to a limit. Anything like room and board or special medical treatments’, you will have to pay for. He wanted to know if we would tack care of him after the treatment and be legibly responsible for him, in case of law suit since we found him.”

“So you volunteered us to baby sit him in case he tries to sue them?” Vinyl asked, pretty much knowing the answer. Octavia giving a playful grin, knowing she pulled a fast on her.

“Well I do wonder,” Vinyl sighed aloud, slowly slumping back on the bench.

“And what would that be?”

“I wonder what he would look like in a green suit”

Author's Note:

Hip, HIp, Horay!
Finally got some help in the form some editors :)

Truth be told things will definitely be getting funner from her in the story.