• Published 6th Apr 2013
  • 18,734 Views, 689 Comments

Enkindled Hearts - Rated Ponystar



Spike and Fluttershy tell Twilight how they became a couple

  • ...
57
 689
 18,734

Search and Rescue

Enkindled Hearts

By The Rated Ponystar

Formerly edited by: Adjudicator

Edited by: Mr.Minimii and ugugg93

***

“Wait, a minute,” said Twilight, interrupting the story. “I already know about this. You guys, Applejack, and her siblings went out into Froggy Bottom Bog and found the puppies. One of them was hurt really bad—” Twilight stopped and saw the nervous look on their faces as the two squirmed in their seats. She narrowed her eyes. “What happened?”

“Well,” said Spike, rubbing his arm, “it may have been a bit more dangerous than we expected.”

“How dangerous?” demanded Twilight.

“...I kinda died,” confessed Spike, sighing.

“You what?!” shouted Twilight, unleashing the Canterlot Royal Voice. All the animals awoke in an instant and chaos ensued. Fluttershy quickly got up and went to work calming down all her animals. Spike was ready to help her, but was thrown back into his seat by a raging Twilight who got into his face. “Tell. Me. Now.”

“Alright! Alright!” shouted Spike, putting his claws up. “Geez, this is why we didn’t tell you. It went like this...”

***

As soon as the duo heard about the news, Spike and Fluttershy flew at top speed towards the farm with Applejack galloping right behind them. Not to anypony’s surprise, Fluttershy was leading them with a worried yet intense look on her face that reminded Spike of her expression during the year Ponyville had to get water into Cloudsdale. Everypony knew that if Fluttershy ever got determined on something serious, not even Sombra could stop her.

The three of them arrived at the entrance to Sweet Apple Acres, where Big Macintosh was waiting for them. Fluttershy landed, grabbed the bigger pony’s shoulders, and started to shake him. “Big Macintosh, where are they?! Are they hurt?! What about Winona?!”

“Calm down, Fluttershy,” urged Applejack as the pegasus started to slowly breathe. “Apple Bloom and Winona went on ahead of us, trying to catch their scent. We don’t know if they’re okay or not, but we have to be calm.”

Spike landed and put his claw on her shoulder. Taking a deep breath, Fluttershy lowered her ears and let her wings relax. “I’m sorry. I’m just so worried. I was there when Winona gave birth and—”

“We know how much you care about them, sugercube,” said Applejack, nuzzling Fluttershy’s neck. “But we can’t act like we got rattlesnakes in our socks. We’ll find them.”

Fluttershy nodded and nuzzled back, slowly calming down. Before anypony could say anything else, they suddenly heard a series of barks and shouting from the distance that started to get louder over time Turning around, they saw the source of the noise coming from a muddy Apple Bloom and Winnow, rushing towards them with fear decorating their faces.. When they arrived, Apple Bloom stopped to catch her breath while Winona continued barking and running around a bit. She soon stopped and looked towards the direction she had come from, whimpering as her tail lowered depressingly. Fluttershy was quickly at her side, scooping up and nuzzling her. “Oh, Winona! Don’t worry! We’ll get them back! I promise!”

Winona responded with a lick before barking towards towards the direction they came from. Fluttershy gasped, “Froggy Bottom Bog?!”

“Yeah, that’s where the trail was before we lost it,” said Apple Bloom as she started shaking the mud off her body, although some of it remained on her long ponytail mane. “We tried searching around the area a bit, but no luck. We’re gonna need to go in deeper.”

Spike cracked his claws. “Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go!”

The others nodded and took off for the bog. Spike flew in the air with Fluttershy and quickly flashed a smile at her. “Don’t worry, it’s gonna be okay.”

Although Fluttershy responded with a small nod, she continued to look at their destination with worry. Spike sighed and went back to focusing on his flight. Hang on, pups. We’re gonna rescue you.

***

While Froggy Bottom Bog was no Everfree Forest, it still wasn’t a place to be taken lightly. There were quicksand ponds, poisoned plants, alligators, and deadly hydras inside the swampy bog. The party of six made sure to keep their guard up for anything as they shouted out the names of the pups. Spike, up in the air with Fluttershy, wished he had Twilight scrying spell to help them out. It’s like finding a needle in a haystack here. It was a good thing that they had Winona who, despite her age, was still a good sniffer and tracker even after all these years.

Spike gazed over to Fluttershy, who was busy looking over every inch of dirt. He had to admire the look of intensity on her face, like a mother bear that had lost her children. She was also their second advantage in this treaturous bog. If anybody who could spot things with an eye for detail, next to Rarity of course, it was Fluttershy. His thoughts were interrupted when he heard Fluttershy gasp and dive down towards a set of bushes. Seeing this, Spike caught up with her and landed as well, watching Fluttershy inspected a few half broken branches.

She started sniffing the plant, but then whistled for Winona, who rushed over along with the Apple siblings. Winona began sniffing the bush before she started barking and pointing her head past the bushes. Fluttershy nodded. “Yes, I agree. They went that way.”

Apple Bloom tilted her head. “How in Equestria do ya know that?”

Pointing at the branches, Fluttershy said, “I noticed this bush out of place with the others, like it had been moved recently. When I looked closer, I saw the tiny bite marks and I recognized them as puppy teeth.” Spike and the others had to look real close to see them, but sure enough there were bite marks. “Finally, I smelled the area and it smelled a lot like urine. I think one of the puppies used this as a toilet and I had Winona here confirm my suspicions.”

Applejack rubbed her head and whistled. “Golly, Fluttershy. Yer like some pet detective or some sort. That’s amazin’!”

“It... it’s nothing special...” whispered Fluttershy, pawing her hoof.

“You kidding? I’d never would have found that stuff. Plus, we're one step closer to finding the puppies. Good job!” complemented Spike, earning a blushed yet smiling reward from Fluttershy.

Wasting no time, the gang ran towards the direction Winona suspected her puppies were. They traveled for a bit longer until they came up two paths that lead in opposite directions. Winona sniffed and tried to pick up a trace, but she whimpered upon finding nothing. Applejack sighed, “Great, Ah guess we gotta split up now.”

“Looks like it,” said Spike, looking at the left path and pointing his finger towards it. “Fluttershy, Apple Bloom, and I will go this way. The rest of you go right. Meet back here in half an hour?”

“Eeyup,” agreed Macintosh as his group began making tracks towards their path.

Spike and his group started down their own path with Fluttershy in the lead. Looking up at the sky, he could see that the sun was starting to go down. A sense of fear began to grow inside him. If night arrived and they still didn’t have the puppies by then... the more dangerous creatures would come out and, if the puppies were still alive by that point, it wouldn’t take too long for a crocodile or some other creature to come and gobble them up.

Shaking his head of such dark thoughts, Spike resumed calling out the pups. He then felt somepony tapping his shoulder and turned around to spot Apple Bloom with a worried look on her face. “Spike, we’re gonna find them, right?”

Spike grinned and answered, “Of course we’ll find them. And if they’re in any trouble, we’ll rescue them and go home for some sweet apple pie.”

This didn’t seem to convince Apple Bloom, whose head drooped even lower. “Ah hope so... ah don’t wanna have another funeral...”

In an instant, Spike wrapped a wing around Apple Bloom’s and gave her a sympathetic smile. “How have you been doing since.. well, Granny Smith passed away?”

“A-alright I guess,” answered Apple Bloom, wiping a tear from her eye. “Ah just can’t believe she’s still gone ya know? She’s been around in Ponyville for nearly a hundred years, it just doesn’t feel the same without her. Ah’m glad she went in her sleep peacefully and all but...”

“I know, I miss her too,” said Spike, somberly. ‘I can still remember all the times she gave me cookies and milk growing up. Remember that sleepover when we were twelve?”

A smile stretched across Apple Bloom’s face. “Ya Ah do. We were telling scary stories when Granny Smith came down wearing her makeup and Scootaloo thought she was a zombie and fainted. Still not letting her forget that!” The two laughed while Fluttershy nearly jumped from their chuckling before nervously got back to the task at hand. Apple Bloom sighed and looked at the bog with fear in her eyes. “Ah really hope we find them... Ah just don’t want to bury more family members so soon, Spike.”

“Don’t worry, you won’t, trust me,” promised Spike.

“Pinkie Promise?”

“Cross my heart and hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye,” said Spike, going through all the motions. This made Apple Bloom smile again before she turned away with a flushed face.

“Say, Spike... we’ve known each other for a good while now, a-and y’all been there for me since we lost Granny Smith,” whispered Apple Bloom, shifting around nervously. “Ah was wonderin’... if it’s not too much trouble... if ya like to go out sometime?”

This nearly made Spike lose his footing as he stared at Apple Bloom with a slightly opened mouth. “I... whoa... I didn’t think you... thought of me that way before...”

“W-well, it’s only been recently, and...” Apple Bloom gulped, “... yer such a nice guy and all. Maybe we can try it out? See where it goes?”

Spike tried to say something, but he couldn't find the right words to express his thoughts. Of all the things he had expected in this rescue mission, this had to be near the bottom of his list. Rubbing his claw through his spines, Spike answered, “L-look, Apple Bloom, I’m flattered, but I think we need to focus on finding the puppies first before anything else. I’ll... I’ll let you know what I think afterwards.”

“Oh... okay,” whispered Apple Bloom who turned away without a word and slightly moved further away from Spike.

The feeling was mutual as Spike increased his pace until he was side by side with Fluttershy who looked at him with concern. She glanced back at Apple Bloom, who was mumbling to herself, before asking her dragon friend. “Spike? What happened? What did you two talk about?”

“Well...” Spike tried to find someway to explain, but decided to just come out and say it, “... Apple Bloom asked me out.”

Just as he suspected. Fluttershy let out a little gasp and turned back towards Apple Bloom who noticed she was being stared at and turned away. Facing Spike again, she asked, “Did you agree to go out with her?”

“No,” answered Spike, sagging his shoulders. “And I don't think I will. I mean, Apple Bloom is cute and we’re the same age, but we’re better off as friends. I’ll be sure to tell her later when we’re not looking for lost pets”

For a second, Spike thought he heard a sigh of relief, but Fluttershy quickly started coughing and he chalked up to just his imagination. Fluttershy then asked, “Are you interested in dating again?”

“Yeah, but from my past experiences I think it’s safe to say I have a thing for older mares. Guess I can blame that on my old crush with Rarity,” said Spike, chuckling.

“Oh, that’s good,” whispered Fluttershy with a smile. She quickly blushed and shook her head. “I-I-I m-meant that it’s good that you know already what type of mare you like.”

“Uh, thanks,” said a confused Spike. She’s acting strange. Must be the bog or that annoying barking I keep hearing... wait a minute!

“Girls, quiet!” shushed Spike, holding his claws out. The two of them stopped moving and went silent as Spike pointed to his ears. “Do you hear that?”

Everyone held their breath as they listened in. Soon enough they heard the sounds of tiny barks and whimpers that made each of them look at each other and shout, “The puppies!”

Immediately, they dashed towards the cries, charging through every brush and low branch in front of them. They soon found themselves in a clearing right next to a murky lake where they spotted all six puppies crowding around each other, yelping and barking.

Apple Bloom was the first to reach them, and, upon seeing a familiar face, five puppies instantly jumped on top of her and started licking her with joyful faces. “Hey! There y’all are! Ya nearly scared us half to death with yer runnin’ away!” cried out Apple Bloom, struggling to remain serious as she giggled from the licking.

Although it was a happy sight to see, Spike and Fluttershy quickly saw that only five of the puppies were crowding around Apple Bloom. Turning towards the spot the puppies jumped from, they gasped upon seeing the sixth one lying on his side and moaning in pain. The two were instantly at its side as Fluttershy turned him over and started examining him.

“What’s wrong with him?” asked Spike, loud enough to get Apple Bloom’s attention into noticing the sick sixth puppy. She soon sat next to him and also waited with halted breath.

Fluttershy pressed her forehead against the puppies forehead. “High fever.” She pressed her ear against his chest. “Trouble breathing and rapid heartbeat.” She looked into his bloodshot eyes and felt his warm, sweaty coat. “Eyes are getting puffy and he’s sweating like crazy... I think... I think he ate some jimzo fungi.”

“What’s that? Is it deadly?” asked Apple Bloom.

Fluttershy grimly nodded. “It’s a very poisonous fungus that causes extreme amounts of pain and eventually kills whoever ate it in a few hours. I can cure it, but I need to get him home for treatment.”

Spike growled at their misfortune and stood up. “Okay, let’s get him out of here and—”

Before he could continue, Spike felt the entire ground start to shake so much that he nearly fell over. Eyeing the water, he noticed large ripples in the water that only made him worry even more. That worry was soon realized as four large snake-like heads came out of the lake and spotted a new tasty meal for them to eat. If that wasn't bad enough, at the back end of its tail looked like a scorpion stinger which made Fluttershy gasp. “That’s... that’s a Scorpion Hydra!” The hydra let out four loud roars that echoed across the bog before looking at the group, licking all four of it’s chops.

“Oh, this is just great...” muttered Spike, looking up at the hydra. Although it was only half the size the one he first met with Twilight, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie many years ago, it still looked big enough to eat them all in one gulp. “I suggest we run now!”

The hydra roared as the group ran away, the puppies jumping on the ponies’ backs as they made their escape. The four-headed beast removed itself from the river and started to chase after its prey, knocking away any trees that stood in its path. Spike cursed at their predicament. He and Fluttershy could have easily flown away from the hybra with the puppies, but Apple Bloom would still be stuck on the ground in a helpless state. Deciding to grant the others some breathing room, Spike turned around and smashed his fist against the center right one’s nose. If it wasn’t for his dragon strength, Spike was sure his claw would have broken like a twig. The center right head reared back, shrieking in pain as the others tried to attack with their jaws.

Smirking, Spike prepared to jump into the fray when he heard a voice cry out his name. Turning around, Spike saw Fluttershy rush over to him. “What are you doing?! We have to get out of here!”

“I can hold it off long enough for you two get away safely!” shouted Spike, turning back towards the hydra which was showing signs of recovery. “Look, trust me! Get that puppy healed and find the others! I’ll be careful!”

Fluttershy bit her lip, tears beginning to form on her face, but she shook her head nonetheless. “Please be careful. A Scorpion Hydra's stinger is poisonous and kills almost instantly.” Fluttershy turned around, gave one last look, and flew away.

Spike nodded before flying back to the hydra. I really have to be insane to do this, but I have to make sure the girls will be alright!

The four heads managed notice Spike, and each made an attempt to swallow him whole. Spike managed to maneuver himself out of the danger by twisting around the heads and making them bump into each other. Flying towards the right side, he reared his fist back and pounded the farther right head in the cheek sending it crashing against the next head. The impact had a cascading effect, sending that head to the next, all the way to the last head on the left.

Spike smirked at the sight. Reminds me of Twilight’s Neighton’s Cradle back in her office.

His small victory was short lived as the heads soon shook themselves out of their daze and attacked again. This time Spike flew high enough to be out of their reach and stuck out his tongue. “Ha! Can’t reach me here!” His taunt was soon silenced by the unexpectedly large stinger that nearly hit him. The hydra shot its tail out a few more times, but Spike managed to dodge its blows and fly high enough for it to also be out of reach. “Ha! What are you gonna do now!” yelled Spike, crossing his arms.

The four heads looked at each other and seemed to be in conversation before turning their attention to the direction where Fluttershy and the others were heading. It turned around and started making its way after the others. Spike could feel sweat dripping down his neck. Oh, man! I have to think of something! What would Rainbow Dash do in a situation like this?! It then dawned on him in an instant. Duh! Make them really pissed off!

Flying behind them at their height level, Spike shouted, “Hey, rocks for brains!” The four hydras turned around. “What’s the matter?! Too scary snaked to face a single dragon that’s smaller than you?! For guys with four head, you sure have no brains!” The four heads growled with murder in their eyes as Spike turned around and raised his tail. Shaking his rump, he said, “Betcha can’t catch me! Nah Nah Nah!”

This managed to finally break their patience as the hydra went after Spike again. Flying low, Spike flew between their legs before using his claws to scratch both of them repeatedly and draw blood before flying back up. All four heads hopped around in pain while Spike, taking advantage of the situation, tried to charge forth again, but one of the heads managed to hiss at him and shot the tail forward.

Spike gasped as he tried to avoid it, but it was too late.

The stinger slammed into his chest, knocking him out of the air and into a nearby tree where he slid down. Groaning, Spike slowly got up until he realized he had been hit by the poisonous stinger. Immediately, he padded his chest for the wound, but to his shock he felt nothing. Not even a scratch.

Unleashing the breath he had been holding, Spike muttered, “Thank Celestia for dragon scales.”

He looked up to find all four heads looking at him rather evilly, and realized that they didn’t know their secret weapon had failed. A smile graced Spike’s lips. Oh this is gonna be sweet. Time to put those acting skills to good use.

Faking a groan, Spike clutched his chest and tried to do his best painful expression. “You got me! I can feel... poison spreading... can’t feel arms... eyesight going...” Moaning he moved back and forth like he was drunk and continued his monologue which caused a bit confusion among the heads, having never expected this from dead prey before. Taking a leaf out of the fancy nobles he had to deal with on a regular basis, Spike dramatically placed his claw over his forehead. “Oh this is it! I’m off to the big gem cave in the sky! I can feel the cold embrace of death take me! Oh what a cruel fate to die so young and handsome.”

Gripping his chest again, Spike fell to his back and coughed. “Tell my friends... I love them... ugh... tell them to bury me facing the rising sun... gasp... and... and.... blah.” Closing his eyes, Spike went limp for a while, but made sure to twitch a bit for extra measure.

The four heads of the hydra looked at each and their apparent kill with raised eyebrows. Finally, one of them leaned its head forward and start to sniff the body. Waiting for this, Spike opened his eyes, raised his head, and unleashed the fury of his dragon fire. The flames hit dead-on as the hydra’s burnt face screamed in agony.

The other heads, confused and worried, stumbled around until they fell back into the lake. Making sure his plan was a success, Spike flew over the bubbles and narrowed his eyes to see if there was any sign of the beasts. Wiping his hands clean, Spike smiled. “And that’s that. Too easy.”

He was about to fly back to the others when suddenly the stinger came around and wrapped around Spike like a rope. Spike barely had time to take a breath as he was dragged underwater, the hydra swimming down lower into the deep water. He tried to break his way out, but even with his strength the tail wrapped around him was too strong. The hydra kept dragging him further and further down until they reached the bottom of the lake and all four heads, one of them completely burned, turned to him with sinister smile. Knowing that he was only seconds away from certain death, Spike saw no other choice but to open his mouth and bite into the tail. With teeth that could munch on diamonds, the hydra instantly let go with a cry of pain, and Spike quickly swam away.

With the hydra right behind him, and his oxygen quickly leaving him, Spike had to find a way out of this or he was done for. He soon spotted something on the bottom of lake that made his eyes widen, it was another hydra, this one with five heads instead of four that seemed to be sleeping. At first, Spike was frightened that he had run into another hydra in the lake, but soon realized that this was his chance. It was risky, and it could double his trouble if he failed, but with very little air left, Spike could see no other choice. If he could do this, then he was home free. If not? Well, I have always wanted to learn how to play the harp...

Putting his plan into action, Spike continued to swim for hydra before getting close enough so that he didn’t wake it. He turned around, and waited for the other to come charging at him at full speed. Praying that this would work, Spike waited until the center right head was about to eat him in one gulp and swam upward at the last second. To his amazement, and joy, the hydra chasing after him crashed into the former sleeping hydra. Irritated that it’s beauty sleep had been disturbed, it began to attack the Scorpion Hydra who quickly tried to defend itself. Seeing that the attention had been pulled away from him. Spike was about to pat himself on the back when he suddenly started coughing as water rush into his windpipe

He could feel the air in his lungs slowly being replaced by water as he struggled to keep focus. Realizing that he was drowning, Spike tried to swim back to the surface, but he could feeling his muscles slowly failing. Closer and closer he got until he found himself slowing down. No! No! Not like this! He tried to force himself awake, but he knew it was over. He was too far away from the surface. Finally, his body gave out and felt himself only floating in the boggy water. Alone. So this is it, huh? I’m sorry, Twilight. I’m sorry, Fluttershy. I’m sorry everypony...

Spike wondered if his body would just sink to the bottom to become fish food or float up so his friends could have a decent funeral for him. As he it got darker, he flashed back to all the great moments in his life and smiled. It may not have been a long life, but it was a good one that left without any regrets. Letting himself relax for one last time, in hopes of dying peacefully, Spike looked up as his vision began to darken. As his remaining strength faded, he saw someone flowing down towards him. It looked like... like...

An angel? Coming to take me? were Spike’s last thoughts before he closed his eyes and his life faded to black.

***

The first thing Spike saw when he opened his eyes was darkness. He tried to wave his claw in his face, but couldn’t. He tried to move, but it felt strange, like he was flying, yet he could feel his wings weren’t flapping and there was no air around him. He tried to remember what happened when he saw something in the distance.

A bright white light with warmth coming from it.

Shivering, Spike slowly began making his way towards the light, finding a sense of peace with it. Like it was calling him.

“... spike...”

Spike rubbed his chest and grunted in pain. It felt like something was hitting him from inside. He also swore he heard a voice, but it was so soft that Spike just assumed it was his imagination. Shrugging it off, Spike made his way closer to the light, now about halfway there.

“...Spike...”

The blow came again, this time harder. The voice was louder too, but Spike shook it off and struggled closer and closer to the light. He was nearly there, ready to embrace it and escape this darkness. He didn’t know what lay beyond it, but it had to be better than this. Just as he was about to touch it, the blow came back, harder than ever to the point where he screamed.

“Spike!”

The voice rang in Spike’s ears again, but this time he gasped. He knew that voice. “F-fluttershy...”

***

Spike awoke, only to puke out the nasty bog water he had collected during his drowning trip. Hacking and coughing, he felt his entire chest and throat burning inside him as he tried to clear his vision. Laying his head down, he weakly looked up and saw a smiling Fluttershy wipe tears from her eye as she embraced him. “Oh, thank goodness! Spike, you’re alive!”

“A-alive?” repeated Spike, weakly moaning. He looked back at Fluttershy and saw that she was all wet, her mane as flat as seaweed. Realization soon struck in as Spike weakly gasped. “You... you saved me...”

The last thing Spike saw before falling unconscious was Fluttershy nodding her head.

***

The second time he woke up it didn’t feel as bad, but Spike nevertheless groaned from the agonizing pain. Rising up from where he stood, he looked around and almost panicked as he remembered his last thoughts. They hydra. The lake. His heart beat like crazy as he wondered if he was dead, but then recognized where he was. It was Fluttershy’s bedroom and he was lying on her bed. Rubbing his eyes awake, he saw it was nighttime and wondered how long he had been asleep. Hoofsteps from the stairs next door alerted him, and he turned to his right to see Applejack walk in with a look of relief.

“Thank goodness yer okay, sugarcube,” said Applejack. “Ya gave us a mean scare nearly drownin’ back in the bog.”

“Sorry, he got me when I wasn’t looking,” muttered Spike, rubbing the back of his neck. His eyes widened as he turned to Applejack and asked, “Fluttershy! The puppies! Are they okay?!”

Applejack nodded her head. “The puppies are fine, even the sick one. Fluttershy took care of them all, and they’re back at the barn with their mama safe and sound.” Applejack then pointed at Spike. “It was you she was worried about. I never saw her more scared in mah entire life. Even when you all were in the clear, it took both me and Big Macintosh to get her to finally get to sleep on the couch.”

Spike quickly got off the bed and rushed past Applejack, ignoring the lingering pain in his body. Rushing down the stairs, he saw Fluttershy on the couch in a deep sleep. He could see the bags under her eyes and how messed up her mane was, indicating that it must have taken her sometime to fall asleep. He smiled and walked over, caressing his claw gently over her cheek. “Thank you, Fluttershy. I owe you... everything...”

A smile slowly stretched across Fluttershy’s face as she felt his warm touch. “Spike...”

Blushing, Spike slowly picked her up and made his way towards the stairs where Applejack was waiting for him. “I’m gonna put her to bed. I’ll be fine on the couch,” said Spike.

“Alright, Ah’ll come check on y’all tomorrow. Have a good night’s rest,” said Applejack, tipping her hat.

As she made her way towards the door, Spike whispered shortly, “Wait.” Applejack turned around, and Spike continued whispering. “Promise not to tell Twilight about this? She’s got enough to worry about with the whole princess thing, and hearing me almost kicking the bucket will make her have a heart attack.”

Applejack bit her lip and scratched her head. “Ya know Ah don’t like lyin’, but Ah understand what yer sayin’. Ah won’t say nothin’, and Ah’ll tell Big Mac and Apple Bloom the same thing, but if Twilight asks, Ah gotta tell her. Ya hear?”

Spike nodded. “Thank you, Applejack. Good night,” Tipping her hat a second time, Applejack exited the house, leaving Spike and Fluttershy by themselves. Sighing, he made his way up to the bedroom where he gently placed Fluttershy on her pillow and covered her with the blankets.

He paused and looked at the pony who saved his life by risking her own. He could still remember the cold embrace and darkness surrounding him as his life slowly swept from his body. Shivering, Spike was about to leave when he heard something that made him stop.

“Spike... don’t leave me...”

Turning back to Fluttershy, he saw her kicking in the bed with a worried look on her face. Concerned, Spike walked back to the bed, got under the sheets, and embraced Fluttershy from behind. “It’s okay... I’m safe...”

This seemed to work as Fluttershy slowly started to relax. Although Spike wanted to let go because of the awkwardness, he soon found himself slowly falling asleep as well, and the two were left in bed together, held in the close embrace.