• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 41,346 Views, 2,087 Comments

A Voice Among the Strangers - Tystarr



An unsuspecting girl finds herself in Equestria, thrust into a world she has no concept of. Unable to communicate with the inhabitants, how will she cope?

  • ...
69
 2,087
 41,346

Chapter two: Recovery

A sense of deja-vu filled Jessica as she tried, yet failed to pinpoint why. The large tome sat before her on the desk along with the pages of scribbled attempts at deciphering and solving whatever the equation within was. To her left sat Ebony watching with curiosity as she scribbled out another attempt. On the plus side the bunny sketches she did to amuse herself were starting to get really good, go her!

"I can get the symbols down, but I have absolutely no clue what they mean." Jessica removed one of her earphones allowing the faint sound of a woman singing to fill the airspace. Ebony just tilted its head and offered an encouraging smile, one hole covered hoof reaching up to tap the paper.

"You seem to be on the right track, at least you're making some progress." Ebony's reassurance gave Jessica a small smile, her friend was always there for her at least.

"You're right, I am making progress but it's just so frustrating." Jessica punctuated her statement with another attempt at the paper bin only to give a slight click of her tongue at the near miss. So close.

"Just keep trying, you'll get it." Ebony's words were followed with a fanged-filled grin as Jessica could only reply with a good natured sigh. Taking up her pen once more she sketched out the equation with ease now, finding now she could draw the symbols with little effort. Solving it however was becoming another problem entirely, especially with no clue as to what each meant.

"It's like one of those logic problems." Jessica mused quietly as her head swayed to the voice singing within her ear, one of Ebony's tattered ear shapes perking to also listen. Her pen tapped to the paper keeping in beat with the tempo of the song before she once more tried to solve the pesky problem. It felt like she was so close, one small piece was missing and once she figured it out the answer would flow out quickly. Well that's how she felt about it at least.

"That's nice Jess, but you know... you really should wake up." Ebony's voice sounded very much like her room-mate's she suddenly realised, turning her head sharply to see the glowing blue eyes looking directly at her own. Worry was upon the chitin covered equine's face as it leaned up.

"But..." Jessica struggled, suddenly everything felt wrong as the pen dropped from her grasp and the music suddenly ceased. The window behind her giving the tell-tale cracking of glass before her chair rolled back sending her out into the sky.

"Jess, wake up!" Ebony screamed down to her as she fell, the sky itself tearing apart revealing two large teal eyes encompassing all.

The eyes looked down, filling her vision.

They blinked.

~~~~~~~

Ow... my, everything.

Jessica winced as she found herself once more in the waking world, bringing its obnoxious cousin pain. The aching situated from her shoulder was something she was sadly getting used to by now, that thought she considered was monumentally depressing. Every muscle of her body was screaming at her, outraged at how she had pushed it so. In defense her mind turned inwards, going over what she had just seen within her dream.

The details already slipping away into the ether as she struggled to remember the bits and pieces that remained. Something about the book, and eyes but the rest seemed to slip from her mental focus. She found herself struggling to think due to complete exhaustion, her mind seemed as if it was dunked underwater and she was attempting to peer through the depths to discern her thoughts. Slowly thoughts and memories bubbled through allowing her to recollect what occurred.

"Ebony?" Her voice sluggish before realisation hit her like a punch to the gut. The previous events all rushed back in an instant, eyes opening wide as she remembered the last image she had of the insect-like equine. Ebony distracting the chimera so she could escape with the filly, the later another missing piece her addled brain stored for later. The fact she had even accepted that memory as something perfectly rational was not comforting, but something else was occuring that tugged her mind from such thoughts.

The sound of voices slowly needled her attention, several of them in fact and nearby.

Surrounding me...

Jessica attempted to sit up but found herself restrained by something, eyes blinking as she finally processed the information they were giving her. The sun was burning overhead, its warm kiss spreading over her skin doing little to slow her growing panic. Trying to raise her right arm to block the light proved ineffective as her wrist refused to move.

"W-What?" Panic was immediately upgraded to terror as she heard the voices becoming alarmed, two hard objects pushed to her right shoulder trying to hold her down. Teeth were gritting so hard she ran the risk of chipping one in her attempt to get away, the voices were speaking again, yelling again.

Her struggling increased feeling whatever binds were holding her wrists start to chafe against her skin. Her anxiousness grew, fighting against the restraints she heard a male voice speak with authority as if in response to her actions. She tried screaming, her reward for her defiance was to feel something sharp dig into her arm slipping into the skin with a hot pain.

Her head turned seeing equines silhouetted, their features obscured as she could only make out the fact she was surrounded. Turning her head she found herself on the outskirts of the forest still, attention tugged back to her arm as the sensation of whatever had pricked her being pushed in made her scream in fright.

"No! Stop!" She tried to thrash and get away, eyes filled with tears as a large beast of an equine had one of its hooves pushed to her chest effectively holding her down. She didn't care about the pain that ripped through her as she struggled, she wouldn't go back to being treated as she was. Another two held her legs down between them while her wrists seemed to be glowing near her bracelets, pulling them against the grass no matter how much she resisted.

Her gaze finally saw what was stinging her arm, suspicions confirmed to be a syringe glowing with an aura she now attested to unicorn magic. Slowly the contents were pushed into her body, whatever they had pumped in was already causing her thoughts to turn sluggish. Her body starting to betray her despite her ongoing resistance, muscles becoming weak, her voice giving way.

"Please...no...d-don't...don't...want...be...a thing." She couldn't give in, they were going to capture her, hurt her, imprison her. She felt her head roll to the side, her swimming vision finding the small filly she had saved shifting from hoof to hoof in apparent nervousness. The small unicorn stood near a grey furred pegasus, a wing gently draped upon the light purple filly's back as if comforting. Both shared blonde hair and tails although the older mare seemed to be cross-eyed, a feature she would have found amusing at any other time.

That's what you get for compassion...

Bitter thoughts filled her head as she tried in vain to struggle once more, muscles starting to become unresponsive. Whatever they had injected her with was making her tired, her body felt numb as tears rolled down her cheeks. She was once more at the mercy of equines, screaming inside her own head as her mouth refused to co-operate.

Twin blue lights swum within the shadows of the forest before her eyelids closed, feeling as if they were turning to lead. Unable to stay open any longer she felt her body surrender.

They had her.

~~~~~~

A rhythmic beep was the first sound she became aware of, seconds mixed into minutes, minutes into hours. Time had lost all relevance for her. How long she lay there with eyes closed listening to that sound she couldn't say, all she knew is one thing.

Captured, again.

Opening her eyes would just give reality to her expectations, to find herself within a cage once more. Finally she gave in and lifted her eyelids, preparing for captivity and back to the hellish existence she thought she had escaped. She certainly was not expecting what her vision had to say when the murky images came into focus. The forest, grass and distant cottages were replaced instead with four green walls, confusion filling her head.

There were no bars, no whips, no wagons and no crowds. She was in a bed which was something she never thought she would be in again, the soft mattress's comfort was like an old friend. Nearby she saw various items to piece together what was going on, her brain frantically trying to reign her growing terror in before it consumed her. It decided the best course of action was to at least look around her current area, maybe there were clues to where she was?

The room was green with brown panel skirting, a lamp protruded from the wall directly above her head, incredulously she found herself musing if it ran off electricity. Trying to keep herself distracted she looked elsewhere, hers was the only occupied bed in the room she noticed. A green curtain above looking as if it could be pulled around to separate the bed for privacy, but why?

Pieces fell together in her mind as she looked elsewhere, each new item of information confirming what she suspected but refused to believe. Upon the small stand near her bed resided the source of the beeps, what seemed to be a device of sorts with a fluctuating line playing over its front. It was just like on television, she knew what this was used for but it didn't make sense why the equines would do this. Of course the ones on the television generally didn't glow out the back, that was mildly disconcerting.

Jessica tried to sit up but once more found her wrists restrained causing the panic to return in force. A pillow under her head allowed her to prop herself up just enough to see further down the white sheets, trying to understand. Looking further down she saw her bare feet sticking almost comically over the end of the bed, each constrained by presumably leather straps. Strength started to return to her wary body as she struggled against the restraints, head rolling back and forth over the pillow.

"Let me go!" Her voice cracked reflecting the fragile mental state she was in only for a startled gasp to reply, apparently not as alone as she had believed herself to be. An increasingly familiar filly rose from the floor to get into a seated position, slowly rubbing her eyes with one foreleg as if she had just woken. Jessica's mind struggled with this new information watching as the filly looked up at her with uncertain golden eyes. Words came from the filly's mouth, the tone sounding... concerned, but that didn't make sense why would they be concerned if she was captive?

With wide eyes the young unicorn gave a startled cry and galloped from the room, blonde tail trailing behind as she ran through the previously un-noticed doorway. Looking outside Jessica saw the filly bounce upon all four hooves near the pegasus she had seen earlier, the cross-eyed mare gazing into the room with an expression of anxiousness.

The eyes watching her brought back memories of the crowds, but it was different for some reason. Before they had been looking at her like some form of monster, even the ones with pity in their faces. The look from the pair was apprehension which she expected now, but also concern filling their eyes. That was... new.

Her thoughts continued to churn over this until noticing a white equine mare cautiously enter. The pale-pink mane and tail were not too unusual given the various ponies she had seen while captive. The impressive part for her was the mane being tied into a bun behind its head styled very much like hair, all topped with a small nurse's hat. Any doubts as to the nature of the mare were dispelled, the rump tattoo and matching red cross logo upon her hat were hard to argue against. Her eyes took all this in, confused and trying to understand what the equine's intent was.

Pale blue eyes observed her with nervousness, creeping forward hesitantly upon the tiles with the faintest of clops.

"Please...let me go!" Jessica screamed, she was sick of being restrained, caged and imprisoned. The volume of her voice caused the nurse to shrink back, tail sliding between its hind legs in a clear show of unease. The white pony tried to speak to her, voice trembling but the tone was soft, if hesitant.

Jessica answered with more struggling against the restraints before letting her head flop back onto the pillow, completely exhausted. She looked straight up into the lamp above her head, mind in turmoil as she barely acknowledged the sound of hooves clopping along the tiles. Rolling her head to the side she found herself staring into scared blue eyes, feeling the tell-tale sensation of tears rolling from her own.

The white pony noticed this with a look of concern, a gentle sounding voice carrying within a calming tone. The mare raised a front leg causing Jessica to flinch, the reaction causing the limb to be tugged back and once more placed upon the tiles. Whatever Jessica was expecting to follow it certainly wasn't the mare slowly leaning forward to bite the blanket covering her body. The equine moved its head to tug the blanket back revealing what was underneath.

Two things immediately became apparent.

Firstly, her shoulder had been very cleanly bandaged with other cuts and scrapes equally tended to with similar dressings. The second fact made her cheeks fluster with equal parts anger, embarrassment, and disbelief. Aside from her bracelets she was as naked as the day she had been born. Her brain maliciously took the time to point out the fact she must have been cleaned while unconscious. Upon seeing how the sheet had been moved, she was suddenly more embarrassed than angry at this revelation.

Before she could let this knowledge continue to mercilessly hack into her sanity she felt the white pony gently check the bandages were secure. Jessica's mind was confused, the pony was tending to her?

Wait... this really is a hospital? Are they...

She couldn't help the small sniffle, it quickly snapped the nurse's head up, or Red as Jessica's confused mind applied a nickname towards the white mare. They were...caring for her?

Her mind turned over the information, analyzing it before throwing its arms up in defeat. If they were tending to her and concerned, why the restraints?

There were so many questions but she had no answers, eyes closing as she dwelled on this fact, feeling the straps upon ankles and wrists tug at her skin. The logical part of her brain seemed to be grinding over these facts, her emotions and fear pushed aside to allow one cold fact take centre stage.

I'm a monster to them, I was scared....of course they would restrain me.

Red once more attempted talking to her, the tone of voice soft, while filled with genuine sounding concern. Jessica noticed that Red wasn't acting quite as nervous now as she rolled her head to look up at the ceiling once more. Feeling the sensation of the blanket being tugged over bare skin she simply let her body relax as much as could be allowed.

A soft approach of hooves sounded upon the tiles, the sound approaching the left side of her bed. She tried to rise up, wincing some as the restraints made it difficult to do so before she spied another who entered. Red turned around to address a grey furred pegasus, the wall-eyed mare she had seen previously looking at her with trepidation.

Spying the tattoo upon the mare's rump she decided it would be an appropriate nickname for this equine, a coping mechanism to distract her mind she decided. Her tortured mind kindly glazing over the fact she was now staring at a pony's backside, it was already quite occupied thank you very much.

The newly dubbed Bubbles was having a conversation of sorts with Red, both punctuating statements by looking in her direction. Testing the restraints tenderly she was surprised when she heard Bubbles' voice rise in panic, instantly setting herself on edge once more.

Why? I haven't...

The sensation of weight pushing to the bed caused her head to roll, giving a little squeak of surprise upon having two golden orbs framed with long lashes staring back at her intently. Resting upon the sheets beside her was the little unicorn filly, gaze meeting her own.

Bubbles moved immediately, her wings spread and with a flap she had launched herself above Jessica and presumably her daughter, that is if the hunch was correct based on their body language earlier. What happened next caught the three older females off guard, no-one more so than Jessica.

Her attention having been directed upwards to the about to dive bomb pegasus she was caught completely unaware as something warm and small pushed against her cheek through auburn locks. Blinking, she turned her head to see it was the small filly with a nervous smile upon its face, head lowered in a somewhat submissive gesture.

No, not submissive. Shy, and scared.

It dawned on Jessica what had just happened, she had just had a muzzle softly bump against her cheek in a gesture of some sort. Red and Bubbles seemed frozen by the action as if everything depended upon the next few seconds. Jessica did the last thing she ever expected she would do since arriving in this strange, bizarre and confusing world.

She giggled.

The melodious sound left her lips, a small hiccup escaping before the giggles continued to flow. Her ribs gave a dull ache but still she couldn't help herself, she had just been nuzzled of all things. The small action so ludicrous, so cute, so unexpected. So needed.

Her eyes were closed in the sensation of allowing herself to enjoy a moment, when she felt the filly's nose push gently to her cheek again.The young unicorn rubbed her muzzle back and forth a little before tilting her head to give a more broad nuzzle against Jessica's skin. The giggling had seemingly encouraged the small filly, or perhaps she simply just enjoyed the sound.

Slowly the giggles ceased as a smile slid over Jessica's lips, tilting her head to show the small unicorn her face fully and the happy expression she had earned. The tattoo-less filly, whom Jessica decided to dub Espa after a plush she once had, smiled brightly in return and bounced a little on the bed making Jessica give a little pained giggle at the small equine's antics.

"Okay, okay... I'm happy you're safe too." Jessica's words were of course not understood by Espa as an ear flick and tilt of her head showed. Nor were the words returned from the young unicorn understood by Jessica. Nevertheless, they both smiled as if an understanding had been reached. A clopping sound caught her attention, looking away from the filly to see Bubbles landing, an inscrutable look upon the mare's face. Red, she noticed seemed to have a wistful smile, one ear askew as the mare looked to be considering something while speaking to the grey mare.

A sound of a clearing throat caught their attention, the owner of the sound a male unicorn wearing a labcoat with a stethoscope loose over his neck. Any other time a pony wearing such clothing would be considered hilarious, right now Jessica was fixated upon his horn. Her pupils dilated while she felt a tightness within her chest, the chestnut furred unicorn's eyes widening seeing how she was reacting. His voice spoke with authority as Red shouted something back to him, the stallion caught off-guard by the mare.

"Get away!" The scream interrupted the equine's conversation as Jessica struggled against the restraints, fresh tears spilling from her eyes. Her shoulder sent out lancing pain dragging a cry of agony from deep within her throat. She didn't want to be whipped, she didn't want to be hurt with the magic. Mind in turmoil she strained against the straps holding her wrists in place, teeth gritting with the movements aggravating her injuries.

The unicorn was already preparing another syringe in his bronze aura when a familiar soft voice spoke comfortingly into Jessica's ear. She couldn't understand a word, the tone however started to cut through her fear. Her green eyes quivering as she watched the unicorn intently, a pained whimper passing her lips all the reply she gave. The calming voice turned to instead snarl something at what Jessica could dimly guess was a doctor, the syringe dropping to the tiled floor as the aura instantly vanished.

Jessica could see partially out of her swimming vision Red glaring at the stallion. The mare raised her voice again, the context needing not be known, there was enough anger in the words as the stallion looked aghast. His head turned to look at Jessica as she quivered under the sheets, the soft voice of Red once more returning against her ear.

Jessica swallowed the lump in her throat, her quivering starting to lessen as she felt something tug at her wrist. The stallion made a questioning tone only to be cut off once more by Red, the body language as he lowered his head evident. Once more Red spoke in a calm soft voice; blue eyes looking at Jessica with a small nervous smile upon her face.

W-What?

Teeth gently gripped the strap about one of her wrists, tugging as she felt the restraint loosen. Her eyes going wide at what the mare was doing, she was being freed? None of this made sense to her but the pony nurse continued working next on the ankle restraints. Afraid to move she could only watch as finally her remaining wrist had its binding removed, total freedom. Instantly Jessica tugged her knees to her chest, her good arm sliding around to hold them comfortingly to her body.

I'm...free?

Shivering she felt something touch her hand, the impulse to tug it away was stopped when she saw the small filly. Espa hadn't left the bed during the whole ordeal, the brave little filly bumping her head gently to Jessica's lower arm. Bubbles watched on, shifting nervously upon hooves watching Espa while seeming to be physically restraining herself from moving. A warm, soft and caring voice made Jessca turn and see Red looking up at her. All nervousness gone from the nurse as she raised up to brush her muzzle to Jessica's side reassuringly, seemingly her desire to aid over-ruling her own fear.

Jessica had been waiting for the hammer to drop, for the trap to be sprung while her guard was down. When it didn't come the tension within her suddenly snapped and like a dam bursting, all she had been holding within was let out in a flood of emotion.

For the first time since arriving in the world she cried earnestly, not because she was mis-treated, not because she was scared, not even because she was in pain. She cried simply as a release. Her sobs wracked her chest, her right hand digging fingers into the blankets as she tugged them closer to herself. Curling closer into her knees she released all the fear she had held, all the pain, all the exhaustion.

Dimly aware of Red speaking soothingly, she also felt the small filly resting to her side. The tears having stopped, sniffling softly as she was comforted like she was just a little girl. The fact the one comforting her was an equine, one of the creatures she had all rights to be terrified of didn't escape her. The mare looked up seeing Jessica's tears, seeing her anguish and replied in the only way she could to such a thing.

The forehooves sliding around Jessica's shoulders and the warm white fur was strange but not unpleasant, the fact she was being hugged made her bury her face into the mare's neck. Her emotions in turmoil, she knew in a distant detached way her emotions were in flux due to the extreme mental and physical exhaustion. She knew all this, she knew the equine hugging her and the filly beside her were part of the race that caused it.

She knew all this but right now... right now being held and comforted was all she wanted. Her right arm awkwardly slipped around Red making the mare jump slightly, yet continued to stand upon hind hooves to hold about Jessica's neck. Eventually the hug was released, rubbing her eyes with the back of her arm she offered a small smile to the mare who had shown kindness. Red settled back on all fours before speaking something, the words lost but the expression said it all. You're welcome.

"Thank you." Looking down at Espa she noticed the small unicorn had not left her side, the fact putting a smile of genuine warmth put upon her face. Looking upon the filly with eyes gazing up to meet her own, she felt the warmth from the two ponies. Movement from the pegasus made her twitch slightly while watching as Bubbles slowly approached. Resting a forehoof upon the bed the mare lowered her head and nuzzled Espa fondly, the filly smiling and returning the gesture.

I guess they are really mother and daughter.

The tender moment was something Jessica could appreciate, although she was admittedly caught slightly off guard when Bubbles gave a soft sigh. Espa was communicating with her mother, her actions rather animated and her expression sincere. Red was also seeming to throw in comments, Bubbles eventually giving a small nod towards the nurse as if conceding a point. With another sigh that piqued Jessica's curiousity the mare gave a small smile up towards her.

To say that she was confused, or a little lost would be an understatement right now. If Jessica had to give an accurate depiction of her thinking processes at that moment, a screaming brain on fire with limbs flailing would be appropriate. These three were treating her with kindness that only one other creature so far had even attempted. She wasn't sure how to act, part of her wanted to scream at them and hide under her blankets until they left. The other half, what the other half wanted scared her because it was true. It wanted for this to all be real, this moment.

A soft cough brought her attention back to the dark maned unicorn, the syringe thankfully missing from both the floor and immediate vicinity under Jessica's gaze. He looked to be pawing at the ground with one hoof, a chagrined expression upon his more angular face.

She didn't trust him and she didn't like him that was for sure. Annoyingly enough that pesky and self righteous part of her brain, the logical side pointed something out to her. She didn't wish to hear it but she couldn't stop the thought as it pushed to the forefront. He was probably just trying to sedate her to stop her injuring herself.

Yeah, well adult unicorns so far have been a complete pack of....

Taking a deep and partially effective calming breath she looked down at the blanket, arguing with herself wasn't going to get anywhere. Her emotions were going crazy. She felt over-tired and was snapping between angry, distraught and somewhere disturbingly between these extremes. Jessica was never an angry girl, how easily it spilled out right now was starting to frighten her. She was broken, whether mentally or physically she didn't know.

The equines were talking once more, looking down as Red and Bubbles both conversed with the doctor. His deep voice replying with a humbled tone, head raising to gaze towards Jessica with a small glow enveloping his horn. Her fear filled reaction seemed to cause him to retreat a step, the glow fading instantly as a piece of cloth fluttered gently to the tiled floor. Sensing her unease she felt her left hand being gently nuzzled, looking down the tightness in her chest eased somewhat.

"Thank you." She found herself both feeling silly for speaking and needing to do so. They may not understand her but to feel like she was actually communicating, proving she wasn't just a monster, she needed that. Also having to be mindful of making sure the tone, inflections, everything she spoke conveyed her intent. Her emotions.

Red's voice was suddenly directed towards her, or she assumed so given the mare was looking directly at her. The mare looked confused how to proceed, a thoughtful look upon her face as she bit her lower lip and blue eyes gazed aside. Jessica couldn't help but admit that despite it all the female ponies did look cute sometimes, especially those that showed her kindness. Her attention was still drawn towards Red as the mare gave a soft sigh, looking towards the doctor then back up at her.

Time spent with the equines so far, be it in a cage, the forest or now in this room had allowed her to learn one potentionally useful fact. Despite the alien language and inability to comprehend it, expressions were at least translated over and presumably the tones carried when vocalising. With that in mind a raised eyebrow was given in reply to Red's look, the mare tilting her head towards the doctor and then offering a small reassuring smile.

The doctor gently levitated the piece of linen once more in the bronze aura, Jessica's breath catching in her throat before surprising reassurance came from the pegasus to her right. Bubbles spoke gently upwards before raising her head, hesitantly closing the distance before she nuzzled Jessica's right arm.

Both mares offered a small smile up towards her, trying to be encouraging it seemed. Taking a deep breath she closed her eyes, unsure but finding herself willing to trust them. Trust she mused, a thing so easily broken and almost impossible to mend. She felt her left arm very tenderly be lifted, the tingling sensation she had felt with the brothers' magic making goose bumps form. Strangely however it was, gentle and lacked the harsh prickling on her skin she had long since associated with magic. Something soft looped about Jessica's left arm pulling it to her chest ever so gently as her eyes opened, wondering what was occuring.

Certainly she wasn't expecting to see her arm glowing bronze, nor a small knot being tied into the white cloth above her right shoulder. Her left arm now within a sling she blinked twice, the aura fading from her body and the sensation it carried. Moving her left fingers gently she looked towards the stallion who gave a small nod and left the room with something uttered. Looking once more down she eyed the sling, finding something symbolic in what it was, what it represented. Supporting her limb so it wouldn't aggravate her shoulder injury further was its practical purpose however, and for that it served well.

Come on girl, you know for a fact there's horrible humans as well as wonderful ones. It makes sense the same applies here, logically that is. They could have done anything to you right now... yet they're trying not to frighten you. Trying to care for you.

Logically, she understood this but it was hard. She kept second guessing each of their intentions so far, not without good reason given the last week. She was tired, hungry and it was still very much messing with her mind. Brought from her internal conflicts she noticed Red clopping gently from her bedside, unease filling her as she felt the mare's lack of presence keenly. Espa suddenly removed herself from the sheets upon Bubbles conversing with her, the small filly hopped onto the tiled floor at what seemed her mother's insistence. Both blonde ponies gave a warm smile before they trotted out the door leaving Jessica confused, had she done something wrong?

A feminine voice brought her attention to where Red had trotted off to, watching the nurse open a curtain with her teeth spilling moonlight into the room. Her question answered with that simple action, the curtain was tugged closed before Red made her way back over to the bed. In surprise she felt herself receiving the strange, but surprisingly comforting sensation of Red's forehead bumping to her stomach.

She complied with the insistent yet gentle urgings to lay down, the blanket tugged back over her light brown skin, clear of grime it starkly contasted with the fresh white bandages. Red tucked the blankets in, showing surprising deftness with her mouth. Satisfied with her work she gave Jessica a small smile and trotted out, closing the door with a soft click.

Gazing at the curtains she found her mind wandering, the contrast of how the day had started to how it was now ending was staggering. The warmth of the bed was like a siren call, her eye lids growing droopy and for once unconsciousness was not being forced upon her. Thoughts turned towards Ebony, the strange equine. She hadn't forgotten.

I will find you, I promise.

Gently moving her left arm so it was comfortable upon her belly she closed her eyes. Every sound set her on edge, every time hooves clopped by her door she couldn't help but flinch a little. Despite all this, it was still the best sleep she had since arriving.

~~~~~~

Perhaps it was due to thinking about the insectile-pony before drifting to sleep, but Jessica had fragments of dreams lingering in her mind about Ebony. Blue eyes shining through the curtain, the clopping of hooves within her room and the sensation of cold chitin pushing to her fingers, warm breath washing over her hand.

Opening her eyes as the details melted back into her subconscious she found herself still within the wonderful, although slightly too small bed. The sun spilled in through the curtain gaps providing such a tranquil feeling she felt the urge to stretch.

Ow.

Once she was done regretting giving in to impulses she inspected her shoulder with tender finger presses. Thankfully the pain had diminished some so this led to trying a few experiments as she sat up.

Gently rolling her shoulder she gave a strangled cry of pain before once more doubting her sanity. Waiting for the pain to subside she slowly released the breath she only then realised she had been holding. Eventually the throbbing eased and then dulled, as long as she didn't do anything stupid - more stupid that is, she should be fine. Securing her arm once more in the sling she sat up looking about the room.

The sounds of activity outside the door made her exhale softly, being jittery with every hoof step was not doing wonders for her nerves. The door opening causing her to pull the blanket up in an attempt to hide, peeking over the linen to spy the equine.

Red blinked twice with a slight head tilt as she trotted inside, her expression turning from one of bafflement to a bemused smile. Jessica blinked and lowered the blanket, offering a bashful expression in reply while sitting up using the sheet to cover her upper body. As the pony clopped closer she noticed upon Red's back was balanced a large tray, upon which a collection of various food items lay spread upon its surface. A loud gurgling sound emitting from her belly signalled exactly what she thought of this development, a small giggle given by the white mare in reply.

The nervousness from yesterday had vanished from the nurse as she approached the side of the bed. Red angled her neck back biting onto the tray with a show of dexterity Jessica found herself a little envious at. The tray was soon gently placed upon her lap as Red offered a smile and small bob of her head, possibly indicating for Jessica to try eating.

Looking down at the food upon her lap she was surprised by the variety of edible items. Held in a little holder was also what looked like a glass of liquid which she gently tugged out to take a savouring sip finding that, yes, it was in fact water. Her eyes found themselves roaming over the small buffet, a strong smell of apples came from several of the plates, some held a mixture of salads. A few however she was a little concerned to see had hay mixed in, although there were a couple of sandwiches which filled her with curiosity.

They don't know what I eat so I guess they gave me something of everything?

The thought was a little touching as she gently lifted up one of the two sandwiches before wincing slightly, a small roll of nausea fluttered within her stomach. Jessica decided right then she would pass on the dandelion sandwich. The next one looked more promising, lettuce, cheese, tomato and some form of condiment. Raising it to her mouth she took a testing bite before confirming that yes, it was indeed edible and also rather tasty. Before she could further enjoy her meal or sample anything else there was a little clamouring from outside the door.

Red's expression of unease set Jessica on edge, the serenity she had been feeling this morning threatening to evaporate into nothingness. Standing outside the room were three equines and a diminutive creature she hadn't seen so far. Standing stoically within the hallway were two large white pegasi, each wearing gleaming golden armor upon their bodies. Their presence did not help set her at ease even if she could fathom their reason for being there. Looking aside towards Red she saw the mare offer what looked to be an apologetic expression, her words calm yet undecipherable.

A gilded cage...

Jessica turned her attention from the depressing thought to take note of the other two outside the door speaking to the guards. One was another unicorn, this fact alone caused Red to respond to her whimper with more comforting sounds. Looking down towards the nurse she saw the mare smile encouragingly up towards her, the gesture helping her to relax. While the three equines conversed out the door she took the time to observe the third pony further.

The unicorn had the same softer curves and feminine features of a mare, her fur a lavender colour while her straight mane and tail were a darker shade of purple. Oddly enough the unicorn also had streaks, something she had only seen in a handful of ponies so far. Now becoming accustomed to the creation of nicknames, her eyes roamed to spy the sparkling starburst tattoo.

Sparkle, that seems appropriate.

Thoughts turning inward she found herself mulling over the purpose of these tattoos, while they did make the process of creating nicknames easier that could not be purely why they exist. Every adult pony so far had one upon their hind quarters, but only the fur covered ponies it seemed. Ebony was without, so were some of the young equines she had seen, Espa being a prime example. Figuring it must simply be a cultural thing she shrugged it off - mentally shrugged it off, the pain of earlier fresh in her mind.

The lavender unicorn; Sparkle, cleared her throat gently and looked at Jessica hopefully. Seeing the mare had entered while she was lost in her thoughts she turned to Red who gave another small nod. With a questioning tone Sparkle posed something forth then gave a slight tilt of her head waiting for Jessica to reply. Giving a sheepish smile, still nervous of the unicorn sub-set of equines she replied as best she could.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand you." The words caused Sparkle to flatten one ear, the look of hope slightly faltering. While the unicorn turned to speak with Red, Jessica looked at the fourth occupant of the room who was currently hiding behind the lavender mare's hindquarters.

The small creature was indeed something she had never seen before, mostly being covered in purple scales. The other noticable characteristic was a ridge of green rounded spikes running from its head down to the tip of its spaded tail. Blinking in surprise she also noticed the fact it walked on two legs much like herself. The large green eyes with slit pupils looked about nervously before they focused upon her. Green fin like shapes upon either side of its head twitched and it moved further behind Sparkle, clearly nervous towards her.

Red's words were soon accompanied by Sparkle, both now looking back at the draconic little creature as it replied in a grumbling voice, one with a pitch that could only have come from a boy. It... no, he moved from behind the unicorn, folding his arms with a petulant look as if sulking.

No tattoo on him either, I guess with the ridges Spike will have to do.

The antics of Spike couldn't help but slightly amuse Jessica, he was very animated using both claws and arms in dramatic gestures. Thinking back it would explain why for a race with hooves, the existance of her hands and fingers were treated almost casually.

Noticing for the first time she saw what looked to be saddlebags upon Sparkle's back, bulging with items as her horn glowed with a pink aura. Jessica felt herself wince before Sparkle hesitated, looking towards her then Red. With all eyes upon Jessica she took a deep breath and offered a small nod towards the female unicorn. Sparkle replied with a small smile before the glow appeared upon one of the bags, the catch unfastening and a scroll slipping from within. Held before her face the unicorn seemed to mumble something, the glow growing in intensity before there was a small flash and Sparkle cleared her throat.

The language that spilled from the mare's mouth was... strange, a slight keening noise to it. A curious tilt of Jessica's head was all Sparkle got in reply. A frustrated look crept slowly over the unicorn's face before she removed three more scrolls. Jessica presumed it was a spell, for what purpose she initially had no idea until the next attempt. Each of the spells cast had seemed to make the noises from Sparkle's mouth different in some way, the final attempt was like several languages she knew were mashed together. She could almost pick up the beginnings of an intelligible word, only to have it be butchered before it could be fully realised.

Having picked up on the fact Sparkle had been trying to translate or use a language she could understand Jessica sighed. The last attempt was the closest but given the previous few that was barely an accomplishment. She had even begun to get her hopes up but it seemed there simply was no way for them to communicate through language. A frustrated looking Sparkle shared words with Spike before her mood lifted instantly, trotting closer towards Jessica which caused a flinch.

Watching the unicorn look startled she was surprised when Sparkle took a deep breath and offered a warm smile up towards her. Blinking she realised the unicorn was trying to calm her before Red spoke over towards the other mare. Realisation crept along Sparkle's face as she turned to tug another large scroll from her bag. Most surprising was the unicorn didn't use magic as if trying not to scare Jessica further.

The scroll was held within Sparkle's mouth before being lowered to Spike who unrolled it deftly with his claws. The small dragon like creature held the paper so Jessica could see, blinking at the sight of pictures down one side and two checkboxes down the other beside each diagram. Looking back at the tray of food then at the paper she felt the connection click, the drawings all seemed to correspond to the food items. As if to validate this idea she pointed first to the drawing of an apple, then moving her finger to point at the matching item on the tray. Sparkle's eyes lit up and a sound of delight proved her hunch had been correct, they were trying to see what she would, or could eat.

It was, strangely touching she found herself smiling. Choice, another thing she had been robbed of.

The apple was first, if the ones in the forest had been great this one was pure bliss. Chewing happily she consumed all but the core of the fruit before realising eyes were upon her. A sheepish blush came to her cheeks before a claw held quill gave a quick tick into one of the boxes. Thus the tray was sampled, some she refused to touch such as the hay which gained a quick cross into the second column.

Anything which was apple based or a baked good was quickly ticked, a few of the sandwiches made their way into that designation as well. The only thing missing from the selection was any type of red meat product, although given she herself only ate fish that wasn't a terribly great loss. The problem lay in the fact the well served fish was also untouched and a cross marked against it. With what the brothers fed her, Jessica didn't think she would ever be able to look at any sea product again.

Her belly felt satisfied for the first time in several days, unable to stop herself giving a content sigh before Sparkle caught her attention with a slight clearing of the throat. Looking down she saw the large amethyst gem she had assumed to be for some decorative purpose. Sparkle moved a fore hoof and gently pointed to the gem then gestured to her own mouth and made an over dramaticized version of eating.

Wait... what?

With hesitation she picked up the gemstone with her right hand and very carefully raised it up to her lips. Looking at the two mares like they were mad they both gave a small nod before she winced. Opening her mouth she very carefully and tenderly bit the gemstone only to deduce what she already knew; no she couldn't eat it.

It was then she noticed Spike looking up at her with a small line of drool coming from his mouth, no, not at her but at the gem she realised. Still confused as to why they had tried for her to eat such a precious stone she watched Spike's eyes follow the gem as it was lowered. Curiousity took hold and she moved her arm towards the small draconic creature, watching him flinch slightly from her hand before seeing what she was doing.

His eyes lit up as he looked up towards her which Jessica replied with a small nod. He wanted it and she had no use for the thing afterall, she had no idea of the currency of this world let alone the stone's worth. His quick glance towards Sparkle had her reply with a small smile and tolerant tone of voice, a broad smile spreading along Spike's face. He took the amethyst within his claws, an utterance of something which was possibly gratitude blurted towards Jessica.

Shocked is a good term to use for how Jessica felt when the amethyst was bitten into like a biscuit and chewed with a happy murmur.

Okay, apparently they really did want me to try eating it...

Still trying to comprehend watching Spike enjoy his meal she watched Red gently remove the tray from her lap, soon trotting out of the room after giving a smile. Shifting upon the bed she felt infinitely more nervous without the nurse nearby, chewing upon her lower lip before Sparkle emitted a small sound. Having flinched at the sudden outburst Jessica watched as Sparkle opened the other side of the saddlebag with a glowing aura, her excitement at apparently remembering something causing her to forget about Jessica's reaction to magic.

Spike, having finished his gemstone looked up towards her before speaking to Sparkle who froze, a bashful expression now upon the mare's face. With folded arms from Spike the unicorn bowed her head in a humble gesture, Jessica feeling touched by the act. She found herself starting to relax a little more, offering a small smile as a sign of forgiveness as Sparkle cheered up some. Seeming to remember what they were doing, Sparkle removed something from the side bag with magic, the reason becoming clear when the parcel was placed upon her bed.

"What...?" Jessica looked down, her eyes scanning over the parcel before watching Sparkle gesture towards it with a forehoof, the gesture seeming to urge her to open it. Reaching down she moved her left arm enough so her hand could hold it steady as she peeled the paper away. Held within were articles of clothing, sitting upon the top however was her cellphone still with the crack running along the screen from her arrival.

Relief filled her that the device had not been lost as she set it gently upon the sheets, Spike taking great interest in it as he peeked over. A smile gently came to Jessica's face as she reached down, turning it on and found herself thankful the battery still retained a decent charge. Both Sparkle and Spike watched as she moved her finger over the display until she double tapped on one icon and set the phone gently on the bedsheets. Despite the risk of no way to charge the device, right now she needed something familiar to her, something she had missed so far.

After a brief pause music started to play, singing had always been one of her passions which translated easily into listening to music. Hitting shuffle the instrumental that played was one of Mozarts violin pieces, No. 5 in A Major if she remembered correctly, although she couldn't place the movement. A perfect piece for when she was studying.

Their reactions went from shock, leaning back from the device as the music flowed until they quickly relaxed. Sparkle flicked an ear while the music played, a smile coming to her face. The two of them talked amongst themselves while Jessica continued to look at the gift she had been given. At first she thought it was merely her clothing returned and washed, but upon closer inspection she noticed that this was not the case.

Wait... is this?

She gently plucked the first item up in her fingers gasping at the sight of a sky-blue sweater. It wasn't the original one she wore but it was a very decent copy, in fact on closer look it was a vast improvement. It lacked sleeves but the way it was tailored seemed to make it look intentional, the stitch work looked both expensive and professional. Placing the sweater down carefully she picked up the next item, a black pleated skirt with silver trim made with the same quality as the sweater. Most astonishingly there were small gem stones inlaid into the fabric along the left hip in a small pattern that eluded her right now.

This must cost a fortune....

Swallowing loudly she placed the skirt over the sweater, the skirt to her amazement looked like it would cost more than she could make in a year. The last two items did make her blush as she lifted up a pair of white cotton panties with a matching bra. They seemed functional and a testing tug of the elastic showed they worked, the bra she was a little more concerned about but it seemed it would be the right size.

She found herself being looked at intently by both occupants of her room, realising they must be waiting for her reaction. With no way to put her feelings into words they would understand, she instead hugged the items of clothing tightly to her body. This seemed to delight Sparkle, shifting upon her front hooves as Spike flashed a toothy grin. Jessica's mind was racing however as she found she had overlooked a simple fact, the garments looked hand stitched and thus would have to have been made in one day.

Why anyone would do such a thing, to make them and to make them a size to fit without measurements would have been a mammoth undertaking. Even if using her old ruined clothing as a baseline, to measure them and then make brand new ones for something so anatomically different from your own species, the workload needed was staggering. The generosity of the act simply stunned Jessica. She gently held the items closer to her chest, a small sniffle escaping her nose as she smiled.

Why couldn't I have been found by these ponies first?

Shaking her head away from 'what ifs' and 'could have been' she placed the items down almost reverently upon the sheets, remembering as an afterthought to turn her phone off to conserve power. The sound of clopping brought her head up quickly, eyes lighting up at the sight of Red returning with Bubbles and Espa in tow. The small filly cantered quickly over to the bed, tugging herself up with forelegs before bouncing gently onto Jessica's lap. She smiled brightly and gently reached down to stroke the filly's mane, a giggle escaping Espa's mouth at the treatment.

Blinking she caught sight of Sparkle watching with intent interest before a smile came to the mare's muzzle. Looking towards Spike who procured a scroll of paper and quill from one of the open bags he seemed to annotate Sparkle's words. When finished he signed with a flourish and sealed the scroll when, much to Jessica's surprise, he breathed green fire upon it. The fire consumed the paper which became a wispy cloud of dust and swept out through the gaps in the window. Where it went after that she really had no clue nor any idea towards the purpose of the act.

None of the other ponies seemed the least bit troubled by the little show of pyromania so she allowed herself to relax, content with the small unicorn upon her lap. Bubbles seemed more at ease today as well, conversing with Sparkle and Spike before trotting close. Resting her forelegs and head upon the sheets the pegasus gave Espa a soft nuzzle.

Jessica simply enjoyed the day, the equines conversed while Spike attempted to snack at items he must have swiped from the tray before it was removed, much to Sparkle's annoyance. It all seemed unreal to be sharing a room with the current occupants and actually enjoy their company. She couldn't partake in their conversation but at the moment, new clothing, a full belly and inhabitants who were acting friendly meant much more to her.

The day passed quickly and eventually she was left alone except for Red checking her bandages as the stallion returned. She was still wary of him, the doctor for his part seemed to be looking rueful as he used his aura to change her bandages, Jessica lying upon the bed with sheets folded back. The feeling of his magic upon her skin was still strange, slight tingling causing her to flinch each time she felt it. The presence of Red's hoof resting gently over her right hand stopped her from having a panic attack at least. When it was all done and the doctor left she was presented with a new problem, one she hadn't dealt with since captivity.

Slipping out of bed, tugging the blanket about herself for modesty she was met with Red's confused glance upwards. The nurse trotting forward to try the nose bumping method of getting her back into bed, making Jessica aware of just how strong the mare was. She was completely taken aback that she was gently being forced backwards despite the gentleness of the motion.

She's stronger than she looks.

Shaking her head quickly caused Red to put one ear askew and look up with a raised eyebrow at her antics. This was where the task of communicating without words would be put to the ultimate test, it was either succeed or lose the last shred of dignity she held. Considering in her head how to best physically act out what she needed, she aggravatingly found no ideas forthcoming as the problem got worse. A flushed look came to her cheeks as she gave a small wince and crossed her legs. Her slinged arm held the blanket closer to her chest while her other hand balled into a fist while fidgeting, it was now or never.

Red seemed to be getting increasingly confounded by her actions before with a little whimper she threw dignity to the wind and squatted upon the tiles. It was about when she felt her bladder about to burst that Red finally seemed to understand what required. The nurse turned and quickly trotted out the door, the guards regarding Red and herself with a quirked brow before Red nudged a door situated slightly further down the hallway. She briefly caught sight of the diagram upon the front, a soft curved silhoette of a pony which helped her deduce this was the female's room. A mental note was made to commit that image for later, it would do no good for her to wander into the male restrooms.

Red gestured with a forehoof towards one of the cubicles which she gratefully made her way towards, shutting the door behind her before sighing in relief. Relief that was short lived as she looked down and gave a low groan of disbelief, of course they wouldn't operate the same.

Now this just isn't fair.

Eventually she figured it out, Red looking about ready to burst the door down as she gave an apologetic smile to the mare. Returning to her room she slipped back into bed, the light switched off as Red left her to drift away into slumber.


~~~~~~~

Days flowed into each other, her recovery continuing to improve in both the physical and mental sense. Red was a constant presence for her day in and day out, bringing her meals and checking on her constantly. Sparkle visited her each day as well, sometimes just to try conversing or try new ideas but mostly just to talk with Red while in the room. Occasionally Spike would be with her, the repeat of the paper burning occuring at least twice more much to her continued apprehension.

The other two rocks to her sanity were the blonde maned mother and daughter. Espa without fail always made her gain a smile when she visited, Bubbles also starting to warm up towards her too. Neither showed even the smallest amount of fear around her now, the feeling gratefully returned in kind. Bubbles would even rest upon the bed beside her when visiting, a wing draped gently over Espa who sat upon her lap. For whatever reason this turned out to be the filly's favourite location when visiting, it also provided Jessica with a cute lap warmer so it was win-win.

Sparkle's magic no longer even caused her to flinch, something she was quite relieved of as it led to the unicorn giving a cringe each time she had such a reaction. The act of diagrams had proven such a success with the food that they were now becoming more commonplace for communication. Jessica had even been given a quill and stacks of paper, the inkpot carefully kept on the side table now the machine had been removed.

The dreams however were becoming frequent and repetitive. She would always find herself in the library with one or several of the ponies she had come to know about her. Each night it also always followed the same theme, trying to solve the equations in the tome and at the end falling from the window. Sometimes the equines would try to save her, other times they would watch helplessly. The only thing that wasn't consistent that she could remember was the teal eyes, only a few nights had they shown up, their meaning unclear.

With a small smile she came to the conclusion that she thought of those currently in the room as her friends, it was odd but it was a truth she could no longer deny. Bubbles and Espa for their company and concern, Red for her unshakeable dedication and overall kindness, and Sparkle for trying to help and her seemingly inquisitive but thoughtful nature. Spike was just too cute with his body language and attitude to not think of as a friend.

Jessica was surprised to learn through a diagram Sparkle showed her that a unicorn had made the outfit for her, the one she regretably had not yet had a chance to wear. Well, she could have worn it around the hospital but that felt wrong. It should be worn when, or even if she was allowed to leave the hospital. The thought dampening some of her good mood.

From another picture she had deduced that Sparkle had five other friends, one of which she met briefly when a stetson wearing orange mare had followed Sparkle in on one particular visit.

She had seemed nervous with Jessica also wary until the mare had removed her hat with a smile and spoken something that, oddly enough, was said in a slightly different fashion than how the other ponies talked. Jessica, putting aside that fact, had in turn smiled and bowed her head in reply to the polite gesture, how the mare had removed and held the hat with a hoof was something she refused to dwell on. From there the blonde pony seemed delighted of her preference for the apple products, a drawing from Spike illustrating that presumably the orange mare worked at an apple farm. Or was Godzilla, she always had trouble deciphering Spike's drawings.

Given the tattoo on her haunches she had nicknamed her, Apple. Perhaps lacking in creativity she decided, but it did seem to suit her.

Another new pony she had met was a chocolate-brown furred pegasus with black curly locks for a mane. The female pony seemed to be a patient in the hospital, a small limp caused by her hind leg which was heavily bandaged. She always bumped into Jessica when she was on the way to use one of the baths, or having a small walk under guard supervision around the hallways. The mare had seemed friendly enough, but most curious was she never acted frightened of her.

Nevertheless she still enjoyed seeing the pegasus, having nicknamed her Rose after the... She definitely was not becoming any more creative with nicknames, much to her chargin.

Most other equines shied away from her, or at least stared when she walked down the halls. In their defense however, she shied away from any unicorns she saw. Pegasi and the ones lacking both distinguishing traits she was merely more nervous about, rather than the fear for unicorns she held. The guards never impeded her after Red had spoken to them on the first day nor did they ever make her feel uneasy. They were simply too, rigid and disciplined it seemed. They never showed much in the way of expressions, a raised eyebrow almost the equivalent of utmost shock for them.

She was thankful however that the guards never made a fuss, simply nodding whenever she pointed down the hallway indicating she wished to walk and fell into step behind. For her part she never tried to go downstairs or leave the hospital, so there must have been a degree of trust there. With the sheet tugged about her body she enjoyed the small amount of freedom she got from the walks, primarily to stretch her limbs.

It also gave her a chance to think, most often her thoughts strayed to her home and how, or if there was a way for her to return. The second most common thought was that of Ebony, hoping the chitin-covered equine was alright. Her cuts had healed and her shoulder wasn't as tender as before, but until she could leave this place she would not be able to search for the one who had saved her twice.

Yet...

That feeling, that sensation she had felt when touching Ebony. It now occured occasionally like the feeling of a ball of string was within her body and someone was gently tugging a strand. This usually occured upon her walks and only for the briefest moment. It felt comforting when it happened, that was the easiest way she could put it into words.

She was still dwelling on such thoughts while sitting in bed. Once more alone as she watched the dusk light filter through the window, her visitors having left earlier. Considering having a bath before the bandages upon her shoulder were changed, thoughts turned to the idea of flash cards which was quickly becoming a tempting idea. So tempting an idea she found herself grasping the quill gently before the problem of how to illustrate what she desired before she knew what she wanted presented itself. While deliberating upon this frustrating issue she was surprised to hear the murmur of voices outside the door.

Well accustomed to the deep monotonous voices of the two guards it was the new female voice that raised her curiousity. Slowly the door creaked open revealing the owner of the voice as Rose. The pegasus replied something back to the guards before the door was gently shut behind her with an unbandaged hind leg. Jessica found herself blinking as she placed the quill back into the inkpot, watching the pegasus regard her with unwavering blue eyes. Feeling slightly unnerved she tugged the blankets about herself, watching warily as Rose gave a slight tilt of the head.

A small chuckle coming from the pegasus was a curveball to what Jessica expected the pegasus to do, those shining eyes regarding her with an almost predatory gaze. Watching Rose limp closer she found herself once more feeling the tendrils of fear. Backing against the wall she was a little taken aback when Rose's expression shifted into one of confusion, followed closely by a very dramatic roll of the eyes. She heard the pegasus attempt to speak towards her then watched as a long exasperated sigh escaped the mare's muzzle. Suddenly Rose's demeanor changed, raising her head she did a gesture that Jessica immediately recognised.

Rose's nose scrunched up in a clear indication Jessica stunk.

Wait...

The penny dropped as Rose trotted closer, hesitantly resting a forehoof upon the sheets and moved her head forwards. Jessica blinked as the muzzle touched her quivering fingers and pushed under the right hand, guiding it over Rose's forehead and into the rich curls of mane.

It...can't be.

Jessica felt a tugging within, a gentle strange feeling that grew in strength as her fear waned. Rose looked up and for a brief second her eyes filled with blue light before returning to normal, a grin upon her muzzle making the last trace of fear flee from Jessica's body. Rose did not seem ready for two arms to slip about her neck, a tear filled laugh coming from Jessica who had her face buried into the mare's mane.

"Ebony!" Jessica couldn't believe it, feeling Rose relax within her embrace she felt the tears drip into the soft mane, for once happiness and relief fueling them. Within her chest the familiar tugging began but seemed to blossom into something more, warmth filling within her. She felt like her happiness was pouring into the equine within her arms, her realisation on just how much she missed the pony-creature catching up to her. Rose, no... Ebony leaned back enough to meet her gaze, eyes looking wide in shock.

The feeling continued, Ebony shifting her wings before a smile crept along her muzzle as Jessica watched, eyes slowly half lidding to seemingly savour whatever the sensation was.

Watching the pegasus within her arms she had so many questions to ask but no way to form them. Why was Ebony now a pegasus, how had she gotten here and why was she injured?

Gazing down she saw Ebony looking slightly bashful, a giggle bubbling from her own lips as the equine snapped out of its gaze to try and regain its composure. Seemingly unable to keep up the charade she felt the warm mane push to her arms again, Ebony appeared content to be held. Jessica found she couldn't put a name to the emotion she felt right now, happy, content, none of them really seemed to match the feeling.

Even though they had only really been together for those two days she felt absolute trust towards the mare. The insectile-equine had kept her safe, had fed her and provided what comfort she could after their escape. A soft feminine voice escaped from within her arms, looking down she saw Ebony giving a small grin up towards before hesitantly pulling back.

Watching her friend she gave a tilt of her head in question before Ebony pointed with a forehoof towards the window, the moon dominating the night sky. Realising what the time was she gave a soft sigh and nod, Ebony returning the last gesture before moving slowly for the exit, the limp seeming not to bother the equine as much. Giving a small wave she felt, content as if a weight had been lifted from her. Ebony was safe, and she herself seemed to be recovering well.

"Goodnight, Ebony." The pegasus cast a look back, speaking something in reply but the small lopsided smile upon the mare's muzzle said it all. Opening the door with her mouth she left as Jessica returned to waiting for Red and the doctor.

The beaming smile upon her face didn't leave until she finally fell asleep that night and into the realm of dreams.


~~~~~~


Jessica chewed upon the end of the pen she held, looking down at the book open before her finding herself once more at the library. Scattered over the desk sat several scribbled on pieces of paper, various amounts of the same equation spread across each. Her long nails drummed upon the desk while the music played from her cell phone, before she knew it she was humming along with the tune.

"That's a pretty song."

Jessica opened her eyes to look towards the owner of the voice, a small unicorn filly had her hooves rested upon the desk to smile up at.

"Why thank you Espa." Jessica reached to stroke the young filly's mane earning a happy little giggle.

"Are you still having trouble with these problems?" The more mature voice belonging to the cross-eyed mare, currently seated on her haunches beside Jessica. One of Bubble's fore hooves was tapping at a sheet of paper pulling it closer so she could get a better look.

"It's okay, I'm sure I'll figure it out soon." Jessica followed up her statement with a flick of her wrist in a dismissive fashion, two hole covered black hooves resting on the table as a familiar face eyed the book closely.

"Well you're improving on the symbols, that's something at least?" Ebony flashed a fang filled grin before ducking at the improvised paper missile launched from Jessica's hand. Ebony's voice seemed different, a slight buzz echoing through the feminine tones.

"I'm sure you can do it." A fourth mare offered an encouraging smile as she watched on, Red's presence always comforting.

Once more Jessica addressed the book, her pen dancing over the page as the symbols came easily now. Inspiration struck her as it all became clear, only two markings were absent from the equation. Her pen moved as if possessed, dragging her fingers with it as a shape was slowly inscribed down one she realised she had never used before within the problem. Curiously she raised her pen and was struck by how much it made sense now. Only one gap remained as the four equines stepped back from the table, a smile on each of their faces.

"Don't give up Jessica." Espa excitedly shouted before a strong wind tore through the library whipping Jessica's hair about, paper starting to flip off the table.

"You can do it Jessica." Bubbles smiled encouragingly, the window behind Jessica's chair shattering outward as the gust increased in volume.

"Don't falter now Jessica." Red's soft words somehow filtering through the increasing wind pressure, a warm smile upon her face.

"You're so close Jessica." Ebony gave a small nod of her head, the library suddenly starting to tear itself apart as air crashed against Jessica's face.

Shielding herself with her arms she watched the three equines seem unaffected by the increasingly powerful winds, her feet were dragging along the carpet as she fought to remain in place. Books flew past her into the abyss while her hair was thrown about wildly, struggling to open her eyes as books and furniture were thrown out the shattered window.

Finally she was swept off her feet unable to hold on anymore, seeing a mass of laughing and jeering equines appear before her. They laughed as she tumbled towards the opening, two large unicorns at the forefront with sickly glowing green eyes. With a violent gust of wind she was unceremoniously discarded out the shattered portal, the world suddenly opening up to the countryside she had first appeared in.

Wind tore against her skin as she once more plummeted towards the ground only this time there was no aura to slow her growing momentum. The sky above her slowly opened up, two teal eyes gazing towards Jessica as she fell towards the unforgiving earth. Her mouth opened wide, screaming in terror before suddenly her descent was stopped.

Blinking in disbelief she found herself suspended in the air with long lengths of ribbon, each leading up to someone supporting her.

The thickest three were held about her chest and around each wrist. Black, white and light-purple leading up towards Ebony, Red and Espa respectfully. Each smiled around the ribbon they held within their mouths supporting her, the other ribbons connected to her body leading up to other figures.

Two ribbons looped about her waist, a rather thick lavender one led up to Sparkle who offered a smile down towards her, a second gray one leading to Bubbles who held hers in her own smiling mouth.

The remaining ribbons tied around her legs were narrower but no less resilient. One was purple with green trim leading to Spike who held it with his small claws, a look of determination upon his face. The last being gripped in the mouth of a familiar stetson wearing pony, a look of reassurance around the fur matching ribbon held tight.

Supported by those who had cared about her or shown kindness she was tugged back upwards towards the shattered window, helped inside by each of them into a restored library. The book once more open on the desk, paper ready to be worked upon. They all stood behind her to be a shield if the window would break again, Jessica feeling warmth flooding into her chest as she favoured them all with a smile.

Far above her the teal eyes crinkled slightly as if smiling, slowly closing as noise invaded the dreamscape.

~~~~~~


Voices?

The room was a cacophony of voices, unable to make out anything at the best of times it was at the moment making her head hurt. A small amount of unease filled her, what could possibly be causing this?

"W-What's....going on?" Light flooded into her eyes as the noise died down upon noticing she had woken. Thankful for her shoulder mending, she put some weight upon her left elbow as she propped herself up to view what was going on. The sight made her blink, then repeat the action again wondering what she had found herself waking up into.

Her room had several ponies in it, most she knew such as Sparkle, Apple, Bubbles and Espa. Red was as always a constant presence within the room, the nurse conversing with presumably two doctors if the coats and medical equipment were any clue. Another thing out of place was that the two guards were inside the room this time, staring as ever stoically forward.

There were also several female equines she wasn't familiar with that were also in the room, two pegasi, a white furred unicorn and a pink normal pony. Normal having become her designation for any of the equines lacking the horn or wings, normal of course being completely relative. All eyes were upon her, the cyan furred pegasus with the rainbow coloured mane however looking mildly unimpressed. For her part Jessica was more impressed at the fact the mare could cross forelegs over her chest as she currently was.

The second pale-yellow furred pegasus was gazing at her with one aqua colored eye, the other hidden behind the long pink mane of hair. Upon noticing Jessica's gaze settling over her, she seemed to retreat further behind the flowing pink strands. Apple seemed to offer some words making the shy pegasus relax slightly. Key word Jessica thought, was slightly.

Continuing to look over the new arrivals she also noted a white unicorn with elegant thick curls styled within their purple mane. The unicorn eyed her warily as if determining something, whatever it was she couldn't fathom it. In response she meekly hid back a little under the sheets, unicorns she didn't know still making her somewhat nervous. In fact being surrounded by so many new equines was not helping her new sense of confidence.

The last pony was decidedly, pink. Poofy pink mane and tail of a darker shade with pastel pink fur covering her completely. Positively, perfectly, Pink. The pink one was talking animatedly, bouncing upon hooves while Sparkle was seemingly trying to calm her down, no success being achieved thus far. Confusion reared its ugly head once more, Jessica trying to discern exactly why the pony seemed so excited. The blue eyes stared at her despite the bouncing, and that wide almost manic smile upon the normal pony's face did little to calm her growing nerves.

A slight cough thankfully diverted Jessica's attention, looking to the side where Ebony had sat unnoticed until now beside her bed. An exasperated sigh escaped the pegasus's mouth before she met Jessica's gaze to roll her eyes at the theatrics within the room, earning a small giggle as Ebony's presence helped relax her.

Jessica's giggle seemed to settle the room back down, Ebony however seemed slightly... nervous. She still wasn't fluent in reading the equine body language but it was still noticeable. The question was why? She didn't have time to think it over as at that point Sparkle trotted forward and levitated the bundle of clothing from its home on the side stand. Watching the items float before her face then being gently placed upon her lap she looked at the unicorn curiously.

A young male voice sounded from outside the door, Spike following his voice in with a scroll in hand. Sparkle looked enthusiastic and quickly plucked the paper from his claw to unfurl and seemed to read it aloud. Whatever was in the contents caused several gasps to fill the room, Ebony on the other hand seemed to shrink a little upon herself while the others looked at least cautiously excited. Confusion continued to blanket over Jessica's mind, becoming increasingly frustrated at not being able to understand what was going on around her.

Hands rested upon the clothing before she suddenly found herself looking down at a piece of paper that was slipped over her lap. Another diagram, this one having been prepared earlier it seemed as the ink was clearly dry. Her eyes moved taking in the picture, it had a doodle of what she assumed to be her wearing clothing, leaving a building with a medical symbol on the front. Next it had her with several ponies walking with her towards a train, the ones gathered around Sparkle a good approximation of the identities of the ponies in the picture. She was also surprised by the existence of trains here, but let that slide.

The train tracks seemed to lead towards a large castle where two equines, each with both a horn and wings stood, herself in front of them on one knee. The last image on the paper seemed to have been hijacked by a different artist, multi-coloured balloons and streamers surrounding a pink pony and with what again she assumed to be herself. For whatever reason it seemed Sparkle was now giving the pink one a deadpan look. At least the culprit wasn't exactly subtle.

I... guess we're going somewhere? Are those two the king and queen?

So many questions and no way to immediately find answers as she exhaled softly. Giving a small nod to the unspoken question the paper asked earned her at least a smile from the mares. Ebony however seemed to be looking noticeably less keen on this idea, gazing over towards the others as they seemed to be excited about the trip.

Jessica looked to Red who gave a smile, gesturing with a fore hoof towards her clothing. A look at Sparkle mirrored this reaction before she got what they implied, they were leaving the hospital now? Slipping out of bed she caught sight of the yellow pegasus retreating further at her movement, the others seeming to either encourage or comfort the mare, tone of voice being hard to tell with so many speaking.

It was when she stood up her mind returned with a vengeance, pointing out that she was about to get dressed in front of an audience. Somewhere along the line her thoughts had turned rather malicious in how they pointed these things out she decided.

Her sense of comfort and well-being was already suffering several blows by being surrounded with so many strange mares, even with the company of those she knew she still felt nervous. Getting changed in front of Red alone, despite being seen naked several times during bandage changes would have been a challenge in itself.

"Um..." Nervously shifting after her intelligent and well-spoken dialogue she noticed Sparkle and the white unicorn share a look. Suddenly the curtain was tugged around her bed with a magical aura providing much needed privacy from the others. Taking a deep breath she let the blanket drop away and started slipping on the underwear. Just in the process of securing the bra while making note it was a little tight; not that she could complain given it must have been made from dissecting her old one, she noticed one key thing she had forgotten.

Something important...

Ebony almost bounced as she was ejected from the curtain with more force than Jessica had intended, a hasty apology following the pony out of her makeshift dressing room. She felt more than a little guilty as she heard grumbling coming from the other side of the barrier along with some bemused laughter. Mindful of her shoulder she continued getting dressed, finding herself marvelling at how well the sweater and skirt fitted to her body. Jessica carefully made sure her cell phone was secured within a pocket of her top. With an afterthought the sling followed leaving her arm free for now, having gotten dressed she exhaled and took solace in the private little chamber.

After a slow count to ten she took hold of her nerves and opened the curtain, a gasp sounding from the white unicorn before she spoke excitedly to the others. Feeling more than a little self conscious as if she were now in an impromptu fashion show she looked aside and fidgeted with her skirt. Two weeks ago she was most worried about the upcoming exams, now she was standing before a crowd of strange equines and if the drawings were correct, about to visit equine royalty.

Eventually the excited babbling came to a simmer as Sparkle beckoned with a hoof, leading the others out of the room. Red trotted towards Jessica, awkwardly rising up upon hind hooves to move fore legs about Jessica's neck in a hug. The gesture had become special to her, her own arms sliding around the nurse's neck before they both released and smiled. She did seem a little taken aback though when Red waved, she was hoping the mare would come with.

I guess she still needs to work...

Somewhat depressed that Red would not be coming with she felt the nervousness return in force. The mare had been the one who had overcame her own fears and helped her open up to other equines acting as a buffer when she needed it the most. Taking a deep breath she was surprised when Ebony nosed her fingers gently, looking down to see the pegasus looking up with a raised eyebrow. Feeling the slight tug within whenever Ebony touched her she smiled and gave a small nod back. Waving towards Red she slowly followed the other equines, not at all surprised when she heard the clopping of the guards falling into step behind.

"Peachy..." Her words caused Ebony to look up, Jessica just offering a small shake of her head to signal it wasn't important. Walking through the hallway she watched the other ponies give wide berth to the procession, most at least on this floor were used to seeing her now, so at worst she was a mild curiousity. The six mares in front however seemed to garner as much attention as her own, perhaps even more so. She couldn't really figure out why so simply let the line of thought drop as they made their way downstairs.

Downstairs, the area off limits for her until this moment.

Making her way down the smoothed slope she eventually found herself in an easily identifiable waiting area. Several equines looking up at her appearance before Sparkle calmed them down with reassuring sounds. The door opened with a pink aura and soon they walked outside, that is until Jessica reached the doorway. Pausing at the hospital entrance she suddenly felt keenly aware of just how much the upstairs area, especially her room, had been her safe haven.

A gilded cage, but a safe gilded cage none the less. Her fingers curled into clenched fists as she took a deep breath, having seen her pause the others looking back before she closed her eyes.

And took a step.

With eyes slowly opening she saw a different perspective from what she had seen the past six days through the window. She saw the quaint town, oddly shaped cottages mixed with more architectural sound ones. Ponies of all colours and types that were going about their day with only a scant few noticing her as of yet, their reactions of shock as expected. Feeling a soft bump to her leg she looked down to see Espa smiling up encouragingly, once more the filly seeming to know just when she needed reassurance. A kind smile was offered back down towards Espa before she fell into step behind the group, or herd... She wasn't really sure what term applied here.

Continuing to wince with each step as they walked the dirt road she realised how much she missed her shoes right now; thankful however the stones in the path were mostly flat so she didn't suffer significantly. Shoes, another thing she wouldn't be able to get here. The slightly bitter thought rolling through her head as another small stone found its way against her tender heel.

Careful stones or you'll be added to my list for revenge... with the tree.

Distracting herself she didn't notice how far they had progressed, trying hard not to look anywhere but at the swaying tails of the equines or the ground before her. Her hands tightly clenched while wishing not to be frightened by all the gazes upon her, watching, staring, laughing, entertained by her...

Stop it.

She frowned as her inner thoughts once more started to turn to the dark place of captivity, she had ponies that she trusted now, ones who had helped her. As long as she remained with those equines, plus one draconic creature, she should be fine.

The loud female scream took her completely by surprise.

Head jerking up just in time to see a blonde maned, pink furred mare galloping off out of sight, the scream trailing after. Jessica winced, convinced panic was about to start followed by the hatred. Seeing the other ponies roll their eyes, even the ones who were watching from a distance had not been an outcome upon her imagined nightmare scenario.

The cyan furred one made a rather unkind looping gesture beside her head as she continued to fly. Apple seemed to give a reprimanding comment towards the pegasus; Jessica however could tell that by the tone it was only half hearted at best.

Confused by what just happened she continued to walk, noticing along the way Ebony getting closer to her side. The chocolate furred pegasus was starting to look more tense. Espa and Bubbles tried conversing with the distressed pegasus, the reply back something that made mother and daughter give concerned looks. Jessica gently rested her hand upon Ebony's head, the warm feeling within her building as the mare relaxed some from the gesture.

The feel of Ebony's soft fur and rich curly mane were strange to associate with the insectile-equine, once more finding herself curious about Ebony's current appearance. Given she could change into the giant lion creature it did stand to reason she could transform into something smaller, or more pony looking.

With no way to ask the questions she wanted Jessica dismissed it with a shrug, Ebony was back with her and that's all that mattered. The sound of conversation from ahead caught her ears bringing her attention back forward to see a train station before the group. Somewhat relieved as her feet were complaining with their sudden barefooted use, she followed onto the boarding platform. Sparkle slipped inside the main building followed by the four new equines, along with Bubbles and Spike. This left Jessica outside with the rest, looking over the train glad to see something she could recognise easily from her world.

Apple gave a stretch before conversing with Espa, the guards as always remaining impassive, something which Jessica found both equal parts reassuring and odd. A tug upon Jessica's skirt caused her to look down and see Ebony gesturing with her head towards the train idling on the other side of the platform. Recalling last time she had accidentally neglected to follow the equine she found herself automatically following.

Walking past a green coloured stallion, she wasn't surprised when he looked at her with alarm. What did surprise her was when Ebony spoke to him and he hesitantly gestured for them to enter with a wave of his hoof, no ticket needed.

Of course things operate differently here Jess.

Entering into an open carriage she was thankful to see it was empty, not having to share with others lowered her anxiety several notches. A loud whistling sound cut into the air as she heard Espa asking Ebony a question, a smile coming to her lips seeing the filly nearby. Ebony jumped a little, turning to regard Espa with curiosity almost as if she had not been expecting to have the filly follow.

Taking a seat by the window she found it a little small for her much like the bed had been. With some minor stretching of the legs however she managed to get comfortable enough, allowing her feet to recover. With growing confusion she watched Ebony wave a fore hoof as if gesturing for Espa to leave just before with a lurch the train started to move. Ebony gave a soft sigh, relaxing as they started to make progress down the tracks. Jessica however was more confused. Where were the others, was it only these two going with her despite the picture implying otherwise?

That thought made her nervous, without Bubbles and Sparkle, or even Apple she would be without more equines she trusted.

A door sliding open and a rather irritated looking Apple eased some of her fears but quickly created more with what followed. Apple's gaze looked at Espa then her, the look one of confusion before settling back into anger as the gaze was leveled at Ebony. Jessica turned her head to look out the window spotting the rest of the mares and Spike running to the end of the boarding platform before shrinking into the distance. The look on their faces telling Jessica that no, they were not meant to be going alone.

"What's going on?" Her question released almost on reflex, the ponies flicking their ears but the questioning tone making Apple talk louder towards Ebony. A hoof was pointed in Ebony's direction stiffly before slamming down on the carriage's floor, the orange pony looking downright incensed at this stage. Ebony simply gave a snort and answered something back, whatever was said Apple clearly did not appreciate one bit.

Watching the confrontation she noticed Espa looking upset, realising that she had seen Bubbles on the platform she had a good idea the reason why. Feeling the small unicorn lean to her legs for comfort was all the incentive she needed. Bending down she lifted Espa gently upon her lap despite her shoulder, somewhat calming the small unicorn as two familiar guards filled the cabin behind Apple.

I was wondering where they had gotten to.

The guards each spoke in their monotonous voice, a tiny edge of authority sneaking into one of them. Whatever was said seemed to defuse the situation, at least mostly. Apple exhaled loudly and fumed silently, Ebony in turn giving a satisfied grin before moving to lie down upon the seat beside Jessica. Feeling the pegasus almost tauntingly rest closer to her in spite of Apple, she watched the orange mare bite her lower lip, eyes narrowing before adjusting her stetson hat with a fore hoof.

"I really wish I could understand you all." It really was becoming frustrating, especially when something like this was happening before her. She found herself becoming nervous once more, yet not about the others in the carriage. None of the equines were showing hostility to her, although Apple's anger at Ebony was confusing in and of itself. No, something about this situation just felt wrong and not just the lack of the other equines or Spike.

It was when she gazed out the window again while Espa spoke in a concerned tone towards Apple that she realised it. Gazing outside she could now see why the orange mare seemed to be so agitated.

The castle in the horizon was slowly getting smaller, gradually shrinking into the horizon.

They were going the wrong way.