• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 556 Views, 0 Comments

Quick Learner's Adventure: The Beginning of the End - BronyBrozly



A story of a young unicorn named Quick Learner and his adventure to his destiny.

  • ...
 0
 556

Chapter 6: Talos

The village of Hoofington was filled with life. Ponies, zebras, and even donkeys were walking around in the village’s marketplace. The merchants and street vendors called out to Patches and I as were passed through a line of merchant’s carts. There were a lot of things being sold in the market area. From horseshoes, sweaters, and hats to baked goods and fresh vegetables. The market area was completely crowded but we managed to navigate through it with no trouble.

“So…” I began as we tried to squeeze through the crowd. “Where are we heading?” I asked, looking at her.

“I don’t know.” She answered, shrugging casually. “I guess you just need a little fresh air, that’s all.” She took a deep breath and then let out a relaxed sigh. She looked at me and smile. “See? Just take a deep breath and you’ll feel a lot better.”

“I see…” I responded and took a deep breath myself. The air was cold and fresh even at that current time. I could feel every fiber in my body started to relax and I also noticed that the pounding in my head has also disappeared. And then, I exhaled in a slow but relaxed manner. Even I felt relaxed, there’s something that dwells in my mind. I turned to look at her and asked, “Well, if you don’t mind. Can I see Pink Cotton? I’m quite worried about her.” I said as I looked at her pleadingly.

She smiled and nodded. “Of course you can.” She said as she walked ahead of me. She looked over her shoulder and nodded to me. “Come along.” She said as she walked.

“Thank you.” I replied, letting out a relived sigh and quicken my pace to a trot.

~~oo~~

Moments later, Patches and I reached an old looking wooden house and we stopped at the front of the door. Patches knocked on it and a voice called from inside. “Who is it?” the voice asked in a singing tone.

“It’s me, mom.” Patches answered, sighing a little. She turned to look at me. “I brought Pink Cotton to my home because I don’t know who her parents are. She would not even talk to me. I hope you understand.”She explained with nervous smile plastered on her face.

“I understand.” I replied, giving a single nod. “I also need to thank you for keeping her safe.” I said as I gave her a respectful bow.

Completely taken aback by the sudden gesture, Patches waved a dismissive hoof. “Oh, the pleasure is all mine.” She said as she returned the bow, though she looked a little bit awkward.

The door opened and suddenly, when I was unprepared, I a pink figure quickly lunged at me. The impact was strong enough to knock me onto my back on the dusty ground. As my head slowly cleared up from the sudden event, I noticed a sobbing sound was heard. I looked at my chest as I felt something slightly was on it and I saw a crying pink filly was hugging me tightly. I felt guilty that I made Pink Cotton sad.

She was sobbing quietly and she buried her face on my chest. I could feel the warmth of her tears slowly wetting my coat, and her mane looked like it was unkempt. I cringed a little with guilt and I slowly rub her back and whispered to her softly. “Hush, now. It’s okay. Everything will be okay.”

Patches stepped closer with a tear forming in the corner of her eye. “She missed you a lot, you know?” she said as she wiped the tear away. “She barely eaten anything since I brought her here and she refused to take a bath, knowing you was still unconscious in the clinic.” She explained. Then, Patches lowered her head and gently nuzzled Pink Cotton’s mane, trying to comfort her as well.

“I see.” Was the only thing I could say as I rubbing Pink Cotton’s back. I blinked and I felt a lone tear streamed down my cheek. Why am I attached to the filly that I knew for only a few days? Why would she care so much about me until she refused to eat? Also, why she didn’t go back to her parents? Aren’t they worried? Questions started to flood into my mind as I tried to comprehend Pink Cotton’s situation. But my reverie was cut short as I heard a soft mutter from the tiny pink filly. “Don’t leave me.” She said, with her voice slightly cracked.

I gave her a warm smile like my brother used to give me whenever I felt worried. “Don’t worry, you’ll be safe.” I said softly. She looked up to me and gave a small smile of relief. She slowly got up from me and stood solemnly as she looked at the ground with a hint of worry.

I got onto my hooves and brushed the dust away from my coat. I let out a small sigh and nuzzled Pink Cotton’s mane gently. “Don’t worry.” I said. “Everything is okay.” That did a little work as she gave me a little smile again.

“Patches, is that your boyfriend?” An old looking mare asked. She was a red coated Pegasus with a yellow mane. Some of her mane turned grayish due to age and I noticed her cutie mark was a dark cloud with lightning coming out from it.

“Mom!” Patches yelled, her face flushing brightly. “He’s just a friend.” She said with gritted teeth and her head lowered.

Pink Cotton giggled slightly to the situation which made me happy seeing her giggle but making it more awkward. I looked to the older mare and bowed. “My name is Quick Learner, ma’am. It is nice to meet you.”

She just nodded her head slightly. “Don’t be so formal, dearie. My name is Night Misty, Patches’ mom but you can call me Misty.” She smiled warmly at Pink Cotton and me. “Well, come in and enjoy some freshly baked cookies.” She said as she looked over her shoulder and she walked inside. For some reason, this made me missed my own family back in Canterlot. I wonder if they are doing fine. I guess I should go to market area and buy some ink and paper. I need to write a letter to tell what happened so far. Also, they might be worried sick.

“No, thank you Misty.” I rejected the offer politely. “I needed to go to the market and buy some stuff. I need to send a letter.” I explained, smiling nervously.

Misty turned to look at me and gave a warm smile. “Of course, dearie. It’s fine.” She replied friendly and trotted into what seemed to be the kitchen area.

“Sorry about that.” Patches apologized with her face still flushed, in which made me flushed a little too. She closed the door of the house and turned to look at me but her eyes were glued to the ground. “She’s sometimes like being silly.”

“No problem.” I meekly replied, looking at the ground as well. Then, my ears perked up as I heard somepony’s stomach grumbled. It was Cotton’s. I smiled at her and nodded towards the house. “Go ahead and eat some cookies. You must be hungry.” I said as I looked at her.

Despite she looked that she was very tempted to do so, she shook her head and slightly stomped her hoof. “No.” Her soft voice spoke up.

“Why?” I asked her softly, lowering my face to meet her gaze.

She looked away, blushing. “I-I-I want to stay with you.” She stammered meekly with an embarrassed look on her face.

I smiled and gently nuzzled her mane. “Okay, then. I’ll buy you something to eat when we get to the market place.” I said as I levitated her onto my back. I looked over my shoulder and said, “Let’s go.”

She nodded and held my neck for support. I turned to Patches as she softly smiled at us and asked, smiling a little. “Mind showing me the market area?”

She gave one big nod with a smile. “Of course.” Then we started headed back towards the crowded marketplace.

~~oo~~

After a few moments of shopping, I managed to buy myself a few rolls of scrolls, a quill and a bottle of ink. And for Pink Cotton, I got her a dandelion sandwich and a cone of cotton candy as a treat. She clearly enjoyed it with the big smile beaming on her face while she was licking the sugary pink cotton.

As we walked through the crowded marketplace to head towards a postal office, Patches and I chatted about a lot of things, such as our hobbies, dreams and a bit of our past. It was just to get to know each other a little but I never told her about my ‘destiny’ and the real reason why I was heading to the griffin’s kingdom. She thought heading there was a suicidal and tried to talk me out of it but I assured her that I had my reason that I couldn’t possibly tell to anypony at the moment. She was a bit hesitant at first but later she let it pass.

Pink Cotton in the other hand, was too focused on her treat. This was a good thing because I don’t want her to know any of it and making her to have more reason to worry of me. As Patches and I continued our chat with other trivial topics, I noticed a jiggling sound coming from behind me. I looked over my shoulder and saw Pink Cotton was wearing a bell tied with a pink string. Before I could asked her about it, we heard a filly screamed.

“Hey, watch it, kid!” A griffin with a gruff voice exclaimed to the cowering yellow earth pony filly in front of him.

“I-I-I’m sorry.” The yellow filly stammered with fear showing in her eyes. She was now openly crying in fear and her knees were shaking violently.

“I’ll show you ‘sorry’.” The griffin said as he raised a clawed paw to pounce the unfortunate filly.

I quickly levitated Pink Cotton to Patches back and galloped towards the griffin. I activated my magic before he could possibly hurt the filly. I telekinetically hold his paw in the air. It took him by surprise and looked over his should at me. This gave the filly a chance, and she ran away. The griffin looked at the runaway filly and grumbled. “I’ll deal with her later.” His head snapped at me with his eyes burning with anger. “Let. Me. Go. Pony.” He said dangerously through gritted teeth.

I tried to keep his paw in a telekinetic hold but my magic imploded as he violently tugged his paw, causing my magic to cancel. I was thrown backwards by the implosion and my head was pounding again. As I tried to stand up, I felt a paw on my chest, keeping me from getting up. I looked above and I can see the griffin was smiling. But his smile was dripping with malice.

“Why are you doing this and who are you?” I wheezed out between heavy breaths.

He was slowly adding pressure on my chest and then he chuckled. “Well, I do this for fun.” He said as he smiled, showing his flesh tearing teeth. “I am Khar, the commander of Talos. I am the commander of the most powerful aerial fighting team in the land of the griffins. Also, we are under the power of our overlord, Galistar, the world destroyer.” He boasted proudly. Then he turned his attention back to me. “Remember that, pony.” He said with a bitter tone.

Pain exploded on my chest as Khar kicked me across the street with a mighty force. He shot me a smirk as he opened his wings to take flight. “If I see you again, kid. You’re mine.” He threatened and took flight. His eagle shriek was heard moments later as a sign of his ‘victory’.

Patches and Pink Cotton quickly ran towards me with worry clearly showed on the faces and the other spectators were slowly circling us. Patches quickly unbuckled my saddlebags that I was wearing and beginning to inspect the damage that had been done. Pink Cotton nuzzled my neck with tears streaming her cheeks. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” Pink Cotton apologized suddenly with a look of fear in her eyes, her voice getting raspy.

I shot her a smile and returned her nuzzles. “It’s not your fault.” I whispered. “It’s… okay…” I returned to the world of the unconscious.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment