• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 557 Views, 0 Comments

Quick Learner's Adventure: The Beginning of the End - BronyBrozly



A story of a young unicorn named Quick Learner and his adventure to his destiny.

  • ...
 0
 557

Chapter 3: A Strange Encounter

It’s already been a few hours after I left Canterlot to begin my journey. According to the map that I packed for the journey, I have to move towards north to get to the griffin’s kingdom. I already passed Cloudsdale about an hour ago and the sight of the sky kingdom amazed me until I stopped to look at the flying pegasi above from the ground below.

I have two options to get to the griffin’s kingdom and each has its own pros and cons. If I take option A, I have to climb over the mountain region for a shorter route but the map warned that the mountain area belongs to the dragons and it is a dangerous route. Option B states that I have to walk around the mountain region for a safe journey but it may prolong the duration of the journey itself.

I sat on my haunches nearby a stream to take a little break and to give me some time to contemplate on my options. I weighed the pros and cons of each option in my mind. I opened the map to help me decide on which option I should choose. My eyes locked onto the map for a long while until I groaned in exasperation.

“For the love of…. GAH!” I yelled. “Fine, I’ll take option B. There, you happy now?” I asked no one in particular and shook my head.

I rolled up the map, refilled my water canteens and proceed to the journey. I walked in a clear path and I saw tall mountains loom at my left and right side. The mountains looks like a giant dragon’s jaw that emerges from the ground to entrap anypony or anything else in its reach. The thought of a dragon attack made me shudder and quicken my pace to get ahead of time before night time.

~~oo~~

After an hour or two of walking, I found myself standing in front of a thick forest. I rolled up my map to see if I was in the correct path, and according to the map, I am. The forest in front of my does not have a name. The other forests nearby have names except the forest in front of me.

I gulped nervously as I stepped near it. A strong musky scent assaulted my nose and the sound of unknown creatures echoes in the forest. I took a few deep breaths and galloped into it. Even though it was only afternoon, the forest makes it looks like it was already night time. I levitated out my lantern and turned it on.

I heard loud growls from behind me and I jumped around to look. I lifted my lantern to see… nothing. Behind me was an empty path from where I just came and there were only my hoofprints on the ground. I turned around slowly, and continued on the path. But, I constantly looking back over my shoulder as I felt I was being watched.

It has been for a few hours now since I first entered the forest, and the moon loomed above me. Lighting my path with its silver glow but I levitated the lantern in front me to get a better view for what is in front of me.

I jumped in surprise as I heard a soft whimpering sound nearby. I looked around me but there was nopony there. I perked up my ears to listen more closely and I heard it was coming from a hollowed tree. I galloped towards the hollowed tree along the path and what I saw next, shocked me.

Inside the hollow tree, was a little filly in a fetal position, crying. The filly had a light pink coat and a white flowing mane. The filly looked like she was old enough to get a cutie mark. I looked at her flank and saw a puffy cotton candy on top of a paper cone adorned her flank.

I approached her slowly and spoke in a soft voice, “hello?”

The filly jerked her head up and her eyes were brimming with tears. She quickly jumped towards me and hugged tightly on my neck. I slowly knelt down as I stroking the filly’s back. Comforting her to keep her calm and she was quietly sobbing as we still in the embrace.

I whispered quietly again and again, “Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.” To be honest, I never been in to this situation or travel alone. I usually stayed in the Canterlot library or my room to read adventures stories. Now, that I’m all by myself walking in an unknown forest seems scarier than I imagined.

I felt that the pink filly was getting calmer in every second and then for a few moments later, I broke the embrace. The filly was still sniffing and she kept her gaze on the ground. I knelt lower to meet her eyes and asked, giving a warm smile, “We’ll make camp here tonight and then we’ll find help tomorrow, okay?” The filly nodded.

I levitated the tent from my saddlebags and set it up. I gather a few dry branches nearby while keeping the scared filly in sight. I returned to the tent with a hoofful of branches and made a campfire to scare off any wildlife creatures.

The filly was still scared from whatever might happen before and she looked like she was very tired. I gave her one of my full canteens and she downed last bit of water of the canteen in seconds. It looks like she was very thirsty. I offered her some dried hay strips that I packed for the journey. She was very hungry as she finished a whole pack by herself. I wondered why a filly like her end up deep into the forest?

Both of us were inside the tent, watching the campfire flicker in front of us. I looked at her as she was shivering. I levitated my mom’s knitted sweater to her. “Here,” I said, giving a soft smile. “You should wear this. It’s going to be a cold night.”

She hid behind her flowing white mane and said meekly, “Thank you.”

“No problem.” I replied, giving my best smile to comfort the poor filly. The sweater was a bit too big for her to fit but it was good enough to be a makeshift blanket for her.

I looked at the flickering fire in front of me every time the wind blew pass us. “Hey.” I softly called to the filly. I looked at her and she was staring at me behind her mane.

“Well…” I continued. “Um… what’s your name?” I asked.

“P-p-p-Pink Cotton.” She stammered.

“Hello there, Pink Cotton. My name is Quick Learner but you can call me Quickie.” I said, giving her a friendly smile and extended a hoof.

She squeaked as I extended my hoof but she slowly and gently shook it. I looked at the moon above and it loomed right above our heads. I gave a big yawn and I looked the filly with a soft smile. “Well, it’s time to bed. We should find somepony to help you get back to your parents, okay?” I asked.

She just looked at me behind her mane and nodded slightly. I zipped close the tent and lay down on the far left side of the tent, giving the poor filly a more comfortable space to sleep in. As I almost drift into slumber, I felt the filly lie beside me and closed her eyes to sleep while using my knitted sweater as a blanket.

I tucked her nicely into the makeshift blanket and closed my eyes to sleep. Just right before I lost into slumber, I heard her soft voice saying, “Good night.”