• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 10,739 Views, 647 Comments

Halcyon Hearts - TheMyth



After going through so much, it's nice to have some quiet times. But quiet does not mean uneventful. Even in times of peace, ponies change, ponies grow, and ponies learn...

  • ...
24
 647
 10,739

Chapter 15

Pip was in a position that every foal his age dreaded to be in: he was bored. Unbelievably bored. A “there’s nothing for me to do” bored that foals his age thought was the worst thing ever.

It was early Sunday morning, and his friends were all stuck doing other things. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were wrangled into doing chores for their sisters, Spike and Light were dragged off by their parents for personal days, and Scootaloo had opted to spend the day giving her old scooter a much-needed tune-up. That left him alone and he hated it.

Kicking the ground, he walked through the apple orchards, enjoying the scenery and occasionally considering picking an apple, but deciding against it. The Apple Family made it clear that he was to ask for any food before taking it, and he wasn’t keen on getting banned from the farm.

He was just considering heading to Sugarcube Corner and getting the free cookie offered to foals when he noticed one of the grown-ups flying towards him.

“Oh, hello Pip,” Fluttershy said gently. “I’ve been looking for you.”

“Hey, Miss Fluttershy,” the colt said. He was a bit confused. He didn’t know Fluttershy well, so it perplexed him why she would seek him out. Still, even a casual glance at her was enough to put him at ease. “How ‘r you?”

“Oh, well... I actually need a little help around my cottage. Do you need some extra bits?”

“Yes,” the colt said with the level of excitement colts aways give when referring to spending money.

“That’s good. I need a helping hoof, and the other foals are busy today. And with the camping trip coming up, I thought I could get to know you a little better.”

Realization hit him. Oh yeah, that. He had forgotten. “Well... I s’pose...”

“Good. Come on, my home isn’t far from here.”

The two walked in silence for a minute, both looking at each other when they were sure the other wasn’t. “So, um, Pip... do you like camping?”

“Ain’t never been,” the colt said. “Nevah had the chance.”

“Oh, that’s too bad... I bet it’ll be fun.” She smiled what she knew, from experience using it on upset animals, was a calming smile. “I bet Applejack has all kinds of fun things planned for us.”

“What do you even do when you’re camping?”

Fluttershy pondered this, looking up to the sky and tapping her chin. “Well... you talk around campfire at night, telling stories... sometimes very scary stories,” she said as she shuddered from a few memories of her camping days. “Oh and you also make s’mores and stargaze.”

Pip beamed at the mention of ‘stargazing’. “I love to stargaze at night!”

“Oh?” Fluttershy was a bit surprised at the colt’s enthusiasm. “How so?”

“Princess Luna’s the best princess, after all!” he replied as he jumped and tapped his hooves together. “She can do much with the stars and the Moon too... Celestia only raises and lowers the sun, pretty dull if you want my opinion on a career for eternity...”

Fluttershy giggled as she saw Pip talking about how he favoured Luna over Celestia. I’m glad Princess Luna has such a huge fan...

“Say, Miss Fluttershy... what else does a pony do on camp beside those nighttime activities?”

The mare blinked as her attention was brought back to the outside world and she smiled she started counting off a number of activities in her head. “Well; there’s always swimming, rowling, hiking... oh there’s also birdwatching!” she squeaked out. “That’s pretty nice to watch all the birdies in the wild... but not only that, all the critters too and even other parts of nature!”

Pip’s eyes widened in wonder as he broadly smiled to the mention of animal watching. “I always wanted to see bears in the wild, or even come up close to a manticore... even a hydra!” he shouted out in excitement, but stopped when he saw Fluttershy’s scared face. “Something wrong?”

Fluttershy shuffled her hooves and shook her head nervously. “I-I’m just... a little... scared of those big beasts...”

Pip was gobsmacked. “You serious? You work with animals all your life and you are frightened by them?!” he asked Fluttershy, who only nodded. “That is unbelievable...”

“Well, I might be scared of them... but I will help them out if they are hurt,” she replied confidently as she smiled softly.

“Really?”

“Absolutely...”


The Wonderbolt Arena was a popular destination for tourism, even among people who were not sports fans normally. Because of this, Wonderbolts were allowed to bring in guests on certain days, and Blaze was taking advantage of this by showing Light around the Arena.

They were currently out in the middle of the field, Light balanced on his brother’s back, looking around.

“Wow... everypony here’s gonna be shouting your name!”

“Like there was ever any doubt,” Blaze said confidently. “Captain Spitfire says I’ve been doing pretty well, says she’s going to keep me as Rainbow Dash’s wingpony permanently. Bet the two of us will be unstoppable, don’t you think?”

“Yeah! When’s your first show?””

“About a month, kid. Until then,” she smiled, walking over to the obstacle course, “how about you give it a try?”

“M-me? I don’t know...”

“Come on, kid, a few months ago you busted back into Bloodwing’s base, and now you’re scared of a little obstacle course?”

“No! But... you think I’ll make it through?”

“Maybe... but Spitfire’s always saying, it’s more important to get better. Now come on, why don’t you try it?”

Gulping, Light leapt off his brother’s back and looked at it. Through his nervousness, he heard his brother calling, “Hey Snowflake, can you give me a hand?”

The muscular pegasus flew over and began turning the crank connected to the course, allowing all the obstacles their movement. Blaze looked down at his little brother. “Now remember...”

“Private Blaze!”

Blaze jumped and snapped to attention as Spitfire trotted over. “What’s going on here?”

“Ma’am, I was letting my little brother try the obstacle course, ma’am!”

“Really?” Spitfire said, showing a smile despite herself. She eyed the colt, who looked both starstruck and intimidated. “Well, let’s see what he can do.”

Light gulped and turned to Blaze, who gave him a nod and a reassuring smile. The colt stepped towards the obstacle course cautiously, standing before the starting line.

“Oh, and the record to beat is 03:00...” Spitfire told Light playfully as she flew next to the starting line and raised her hoof to the air. “On your marks...” she shouted out, and saw the colt entering a stance. “Get set...” she continued and Light bit his lower lip, with a bead of sweat coming down from his forehead. “Go!”

As soon as the word ‘Go’ was shouted out, Light speeded onto the course as fast as he could muster. The lack of goggles made it difficult for him to see, as the wind pressure to his eyes made them watery. He blinked continuously, wiping them away with his eyelashes only as his hooves were used to help him steer and stay focused on the course before him. When he came to a sharp turn, he pulled in one of his front hooves to his chest, cutting the corner perfectly whilst maintaining speed. With flagpoles he encountered however, he found some difficulty as he collided with a few passing through them.

Meanwhile, the adult ponies were looking at Light impressively. Blaze was the amazed by Light’s performance, as he stood silent with his eyes never leaving the flying colt.

“That colt is really good...” Spitfire commented to herself, flying next to Blaze’s side and gazing at Light still.

“Yeah...”

Light reached the last stretch of the obstacle course, seeing the others standing there. He saw Blaze smiling broadly at him, causing him to fly even faster than what he had before. Light began to feel more pressure build up on his muzzle, as though something was blocking his path. He continued to push onwards, beating his wings faster increasing his speed. His body felt like it was squeezing itself through a wall of rubber, until finally he broke free.

Once he did though, a loud bang was heard, followed by him rocketing towards the finished line.

“Light! Slow dow-”

Blaze’s words were cut off when Light accidentally flew into him. Blaze let out a ‘oof’ as he and Light toppled backwards from the collision. Blaze groaned as he lifted his head, feeling one of the biggest migraines he had ever had.

The same could be said for Light, as his eyes were going in circles from the dizziness, before he shook it out of himself and got off the red stallion.

“S-sorry, I’m so sorry,” the colt pleaded. “Are you okay?”

“Y-yeah,” Blaze said, through his headache. “I’m fine. Don’t worry, kiddo.” He got to his hooves, dusting himself off.

Spitfire put a hoof on the young foal’s shoulder. “That was outstanding work, kid, real good. I think you have what it takes to be a genuine Wonderbolt someday.”

“Really? How can you tell?”

“I have an eye for these things, kid. Plus, that mark on your flank says otherwise.” The last words had an obvious smile to them.

Light froze. “Wh-what?” he stuttered, turning around. He looked at his backside and his jaw fell open.

His flank now showed a patch of black. Inside, there was a ring of light, beaming against the dark background. Another beam shot through the ring.

On his flank was his special talent, flying.

“I got my cutie mark! I got my cutie mark!” he cheered jumping up and down. He threw himself at his surrogate big brother, who returned the hug in earnest. “Did you see? I’m going to be a great flyer, just like you!”

Blaze smiled, hoping that he wouldn’t start crying tears of joy. He wasn’t quite that sappy yet. “If I have my way, you’ll be better than I ever was. I’m very proud of you, kid.”

Spitfire put on her sunglasses. It wouldn’t do if she was caught crying too. “Private Blaze, you have my permission to be on leave for his cute-mitzvah. Make it good, hear?”

“No, no,” Light said, “I promised I wouldn’t have my cute-mitzvah until all the Cutie Mark Crusaders got their cutie marks!”

Spitfire lifted an eyebrow. “The Cutie Mark Crusaders?”

“A club he’s in,” Blaze said with a smile.

“We help ponies get their cutie marks!”

“Oh, really?” Spitfire said, actually sounding intrigued. “How do you do that?”

“We do all kinds of things until we find what we’re good at!”

Spitfire smiled as she looked at Light, lifting her glasses again to reveal her eyes. “Well, when you are old enough... come and apply for the Wonderbolts, you hear?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Such a well mannered colt... Spitfire turned to Blaze smirking. “Well Rookie, you’re off for the duration to plan the cute-mitzvah for the little colt here... and you can expect me there, too...”

Blaze blinked before arching his brow and tilting his head sideways. “Come again?”

“Did I stutter? I said the Wonderbolts will be there to give this colt and his friends a performance, seeing as he is family to you and you have contributed in saving Canterlot a few months ago...”

“Woah...” Blaze muttered before grinning in appreciation. “Thanks, ma’am...”

Spitfire cleared her throat again, turning to Blaze. “Well, I must be off now... you two enjoy the rest of your Sunday,” she told Blaze and looked to Light, who couldn’t stop smiling at the mare. This caused her to blush for a moment before smiling at the colt. “Don’t you want to show your friends your cutie mark?”

Light gasped as he looked back at his cutie mark and to Ponyville’s direction. “Yeah! I gotta show it to them, especially Scootaloo!” he shouted out to himself. “Blaze, can I go see her?”

“Fly on, kid... don’t let me stop you...”

“Thanks!” with that, Light was off into the distance, leaving a trail of light in his tracks. Blaze chuckled at Spitfire’s confused face.

“Did he say Scootaloo?”

“Yeah, she’s a very close friend...”

“As in Rainbow Dash’s daughter?”

“The same, and his fillyfriend...”

Spitfire suppressed a laugh as she placed her hoof to her mouth and looked to where Light flew off. “That’s too cute...”

“Well, they aren’t dating yet...”

“I see. Puppy love. You got it when you were a foal?”

“No, I was a little busy fighting for my survival,” Blaze answered with a dry tone.

“Oh, um... ah.” For the first time, Blaze saw Spitfire flustered. It didn’t last long though. “Well, if it’s any consolation, I had next to nothing growing up.”

“I’ve heard. Everypony talks about how you climbed your way out of the slums in Manehattan.”

She nodded. “I didn’t fly until I was a few years older than Light. Growing up, there was nothing to do but wander the streets.” She sounded lost, but not in memories. In thought. “I would see kids doing all sorts of things, but my family could never afford it. I always said I was going to do something for foals like that when I made it big...”

“...Ma’am?”

“Go catch up to your little brother, Private,” she said. “And tell him thank you. He has just given me a terrific idea.”


The tension in the library was so thick that one could cut it, slice it, and package it to sell, according to Pinkie Pie. The earth pony had stopped in to check out a cookbook and suspected that if something were placed near Shining Armor, it would catch fire.

His sister wasn’t in a much better mood. The dinner last night had gone over... well, nopony could really say. Civil words were all that was exchanged, but there was certainly an undercurrent of disapproval coming from both stallions. Cadance did her duty as the Princess of Love to try and patch things up, but magic wouldn’t help. There was no previous history between the two to mend here.

Now, that morning, with Blaze up at the Wonderbolt Academy, Shining Armor had tried hinting, subtly he thought, that perhaps Twilight would like to meet some of the soldiers in his unit.

Cadance sighed. Shining Armor asking his trainees which one wanted to date his sister surprised all of them, as the last one who mentioned that she looked cute was scrubbing floors until his hooves had been filed off. And yet here he was now, saying that a new recruit named Flash Sentry seemed like a fine young stallion.

“Shining...” Twilight began speaking, closing her eyes slowing as they furrowed in frustration. “Why are you doing this?”

Her brother looked to Twilight and he pursed his lips. “I’m just showing you that you can do better.”

“Really?” Twilight snarled at him dubiously, arching an eyebrow. “Then why try to set me up with a guard I have never met before when I am already with a fine stallion!?” she shouted out accusingly to him. “For all I know, he could be a sick pervert wanting the rump of Celestia’s student.”

Shining widened his eyes in surprise and contorted his face in disgust. “My guards are not like that! My guards, heck any decent stallion from Canterlot is better than an ex-con-”

“He didn’t have a choice!” Twilight stopped her hooves to Shining, causing the stallion to step backwards in minor shock. “He has been stuck in a rotten orphanage, he saved a little colt from a life of slavery, and the only reason why he had to work for a mad scientist was to protect Light!” Twilight shouted out to her brother as she advanced on to him, like a cat cornering a mouse in the corner.

“So he says, he might be lying-”

“He isn’t lying about his life!” Twilight shouted at as she defended Blaze, with her eyes becoming moist from rage. “Even Celestia and Luna know he is telling the truth! If they believe him, and I believe him... why can’t you!?” she demanded of him, but no answer came.

Shining Armor gulped as he looked at Twilight’s fiery eyes. He thought of a means to counter his sister. A thought did occur to him that he thought was brilliant. “W-well, it’s not like you’re always correct with judging a pony’s character!” As he said those words, the stallion smirked at his sister backing away and he thought he finally gotten through to her.

“Are you serious?” she retorted as she leered at her brother. “And what makes you a better judge of character?!”

Shining glared at Twilight as he lowered his head to her level, starting daggers at her. “I know when to see the obvious, Twilight!”

“Ha!” Twilight barked out as a smile formed on her face. “Just like when you nearly married an insect, had me disowned and turned everypony I love against me just to put on a grand show for a changeling!?”

At this point, Shining was sweating profoundly. “That’s not fair, Twilight! I was brainwashed!”

“In other words, you couldn’t do your job right! And don’t talk to me about not being fair! It wasn’t fair that I get abandoned for trying to protect you!”

“And so what? I don’t get the same courtesy? I’m just trying to protect you!”

“Yeah, and that excuse might fight, except that you disowned me for trying to do the same for you!”

“That was different!”

“How?”

“Well, for one thing, Cadance wasn’t a...”

“Don’t say it!” Twilight yelled. “I’m getting tired of hearing it!”

By this point Cadance decided to try and step in. “Okay, maybe we should take a few deep breaths...”

It had little effect on the two bickering siblings.

“Twiley, think a minute. You don’t date anypony for over twenty years, and your first relationship is with a pony who worked for the guy who kidnapped your son. What am I supposed to think?”

“How about that I know what I’m doing? That I’m not dumb enough to just risk my heart and my son’s safety to a random stallion? That maybe I’m really in love?”

“Well, that’s just it. You're in your first relationship, and love makes you act irrationally...”

“Yeah, I think you proved that at your wedd...”

“Don’t say it!” he snapped.

“Okay, really,” Cadance said, desperate to stop this. “Maybe we better just break off a bit and cool off...”

“That actually sounds like a great idea,” Twilight said. “Maybe Shiny should just go back to Canterlot and quit trying to run my life!”

Silence hung in the air as Twilight breathed heavily in anger.

“You know what?” Shining said at last. “Maybe I will.”

“Good, don’t let the door hit your flank on the way out” she told her brother as she walked past him, giving him one last glance as she went to her books.

Shining snorted as he held his head high and walked to the door. “Don’t come crying to me when your heart gets broken!” he yelled out as opened the door, but yelped as he felt a sharp sting on his flank. He turned around and saw Twilight standing at the door frame.

“And don’t come crying to me when you can’t solve your own problems, you useless moron!” she responded and slammed the door hard.

As Shining stood up from the ground, Cadance appeared to his side as she teleported herself outside. The look on her face was a combination of sadness and disappointment, with her eyes moist and half-lidded. She helped her husband up and both were walking away from the library, with Shining giving it one last look with his eye twitching in anger.


Fluttershy smiled softly as Pip was interacting with the animals at her cottage. She saw the little colt playing with the puppies when he finished cleaning their parents’ dog houses and gave them food. As she continued looking at Pip though, she felt a tug at her mane and looked down to see Angel pulling it.

“Oh, Angel...” she said softly as she lowered to his level. “What is it?” she asked him and he made a gesture that looked like he was reading out of a book, before pointing to Ponyville. “Oh yes! I need to pick up something from Twilight!” she squeaked out, and flew towards Pip. “Pip, I’m going to quickly pick up something from Twilight... will you be alright here?”

Pip nodded as he sat on the floor, where the side of his face was licked by a puppy. “I think I’ll be fine here, Miss Fluttershy,” he answered her as he petted the puppies, getting a playful bark out of them.

“D’aww.” Fluttershy couldn’t help smile at the adorable sight. “I’ll be right back.” with that, she flew off towards Ponyville, albeit slowly.

When she was gone, Angel hopped towards Pip. He crossed his paws and tapped his foot at the colt having fun with the dogs. When he finally got his attention, Angel made a gesture that seemed to say he was in charge of this place when Fluttershy was not here.

“Say, lads,” Pip looked to the puppies, as he got up. “I think it’s time you learn of the Hare Hunt we celebrate in Trottingham!”

Angel’s face fell when he heard Pip speak those words, and he immediately hopped away.