• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 4,989 Views, 44 Comments

An Insatiable Need - Craine



Among our greatest flaws is the inability to severe the ties that bind. Why?--RariJack

  • ...
8
 44
 4,989

"An Insatiable Need"

There was nothing to say.

With every rev of her sewing machine, Rarity would perceive this as an irrefutable truth. And stitch by stitch, Rarity would guide her thoughts away from the contrary, her focus narrowed upon the dress under her steady craft.

"C'mon, Rare. Ain't y'all gonna talk to me?" came a strangely pleading voice.

There was nothing to say, nothing nice, at least. Again, Rarity directed all thoughts back to her work, eagerly, almost desperately, searching for minute details to pick at. Anything to keep her thoughts from the damnable apple farmer behind her.

"Listen, Sugarcube. I know this ain't how ya fancied it, but I just... well, I reckon I would'a missed y'all a mite too much." Rarity could almost detect a butchered apology somewhere in Applejack's excuse. Almost.

"And I suppose that makes it okay?" Rarity's voice was dangerously edged, ready to cut through the bone. "Does the phrase 'once in a lifetime chance' have no meaning?"

Rarity didn't have to turn around to disclose the other mare's shame. She could practically feel it. But somehow, honorable as Applejack may have been, Rarity only acknowledged a selfish wench wasting her breath on useless remits. That alone took whatever constructive focus Rarity had mustered, and shattered it into millions of deadly-sharp, pieces. Pieces she was all too eager to use.

"Is there something you needed?" Rarity killed her machine, finally turning to Applejack. "Or are you quite finished with your empty apologies?"

Applejack grimaced. No matter how polite or elegant Rarity sounded, Applejack could see, hear, taste, smell, and feel every slicing edge of those words.

"I... I just swung by to let ya know about Pinkie's party this afternoon," Applejack said, straining to keep eye contact.

Somehow, if even possible, Rarity's destructive glare hardened. "You don't say. And what, pray tell, is the occasion?" she asked, daring Applejack to actually answer.

The curse hanging from behind Applejack's lips nearly fell out, but she wisely considered how deep in it she already was. Knowing this, however, didn't make the truth any easier to say.

"Pinkie-... Well, ya see-... I-... We-... Ugh." If she could see herself at that moment, Applejack was sure she'd keel over and die. "I'm happy ya didn't go. We all are."

Little after Rarity's eyebrows lifted to the heavens did they plummet, etching a seething scowl to her face. "Do you mean to imply that Pinkie is celebrating the utter destruction of all my hopes and dreams, Applejack?" she suggested with a sickly calm air about her.

"It ain't like that, and you know it, Rarity." Applejack's change of tone slipped. But like the truth uttered just moments ago, it could not be undone.

"Isn't it, though? I don't recall a party being thrown in honor of my departure," Rarity hissed, her emphasis painful. "Why, if I didn't know any better, I'd say that my so-called 'friends' have had it out for me all along."

Applejack had hoped to avoid this; by the stars above, she would sell her farm if it meant a civilized conversation be salvaged from this visit. But seeing the red stained on Rarity's cheeks? Feeling her own ribcage vibrate with every thump of her heart? Applejack knew that wasn't going to happen.

"That's just stinkin' thinkin'. We both know how much our friends love y-"

"Oh, and don't think you're exempt from any guilt, dearest Applejack." Rarity pointed at her fellow mare. "After all, if not for you, and all your foolishness, I'd be in Canterlot right now."

By now, Applejack was well aware of her brain's deafening screams for repentance, as well as her heart's deafening screams for retribution. The victor between the two went without saying.

"Now wait just a hay-pickin' minute here! That train left without ya 'cause you let it. Not like I twisted your leg or nothin'!" Applejack defended.

The red on Rarity's cheeks deepened, and she shouted, "Thats just like you, Applejack! Denying responsibility when this is CLEARLY all your fault!"

"What's your problem, Rarity?!" Applejack demanded.

"You, are! You've always been my problem!" Rarity shouted again. "I had everything I've ever dreamed of lined up in front of me, Applejack! Moving to Canterlot to finally begin my fashion career is what I wanted from the start! But you just couldn't have any of that, could you?!"

Only Applejack's stubborn pride kept her hoof from clutching over her chest. Eyes narrowed and jaw squared, Applejack quickly sifted for a way to end this discussion before it evolved into a full-blow argument. But quickly realized that doing so would involve a lot of lying.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Applejack tried and failed to hide the pain in her voice. "Is that what ya really think? That I went outta my way to sabotage you?"

No matter how much she fought to keep it, Rarity's glare cracked. And, along with it, the dam that held the reservoir in her eyes.

"Yes! Why couldn't you just stay at the farm like you said you would?! It was hard enough saying goodbye to the others! Why did you have to show up at the train station and ruin everything?!" Rarity's momentum receded.

Then, Applejack uttered the million bit question. "Why did y'all stay?" Her voice was just above a crackle.

Whatever was left of Rarity's glare shattered in an instant, her eyes wide. Applejack's question held an entire universe of meaning, and a maddening lot of answers. But only one of those answers burned at Rarity the most. The one that finally broke the barrier holding her tears. The one that stood right in front of her.

"Get out..." Rarity hissed, gaining a solid sneer in return.

"No. I won't," Applejack bit back.

Rarity choked the sob teetering at her throat with all of her ability, silently cursing the tears rolling off her face. Grudgingly, her steady hoof-steps chipped away at the distance between Applejack and herself, and hoped against hope that she was threatening enough make her point.

"You've caused more than enough damage, Applejack," Rarity hissed again, if only to keep that infuriating sob in it's place. "Leave my shop at once."

The farmer's stalk-still defiance broke Rarity's face into a desperate grimace. Still, Rarity persisted. Still, Rarity stepped closer, stopping only when her nose was almost unbearably close to Applejack's.

"I... I can't," was Applejack's only response, her eyes softening, pleading for Rarity's understanding.

In fact, Rarity did receive Applejack's plea, yet she did well to assure the farmer didn't know that. Even then, Rarity's resolve crumbled. Her lips and throat nearly shook to pieces.

"Why are you doing this to me?" Rarity whined, blinded by oncoming tears. "Why can't you just let me go?"

Applejack frowned, mentally cursing the tears threatening to spill from her own eyes. "When I said I'd miss ya too damn much, I meant it. That ain't sayin' I don't want what's best for y'all. It's just that... I..." Applejack miraculously kept strength in her voice.

Every last word seized Rarity's chest with twists and turns. Just as they had when her train prepared to leave the very same day. Then, just as she'd been during that terrible precipice, Rarity was gripped with indecision.

The pony before her was the sole cause of her pain, and she knew it well. As sure as the growing puddle of tears below her, Rarity remembered exactly how much she hated Applejack. And, as clear as the tears that finally dampened freckled cheeks, Rarity remembered exactly why she stayed.

"I hate you..." Rarity squeaked.

"I know..." Applejack whispered.

Those words, and the unknowable meaning behind them, pushed orange and white lips into a crushing collision.

Author's Note:

I gotta say, I enjoyed writing this! As usual, constructive advise is always welcome.

Craine...

(P.S: Yes. Yes I do so enjoy whoring out our beloved apple farmer.)

Comments ( 43 )

Damn.
That was awesome!
Great story!

Er... Hm... Not sure what to think.

Ah! Love it! :heart: Teared up a little in there :raritydespair: (C'mon Rarity, we all knowwhat that "I hate you" really means :ajsmug:)

That was amazing, short and sweet and conveys so much emotion IMO.

The story was very good:ajsmug:

Don't really see why she's in the tearjerkers folder though:rainbowhuh:.
Maybe it's my perception of the folder that's wrong:applejackunsure:

Anyway great story:twilightsmile:

...*curls up in a ball and cries*

2377965 The ending seemed sad to me. I could have put it in "WTF did I just read?"

Yes. Yes! Please God yes. Yeeeeeeeees. This is good, :twistnerd:. Greatest ship in the fleet.
I can't criticize anything here, you laid out the situation and emotion well. Good work. :heart:

More to come, I can promise you that. :moustache: Thanks for the praise everyone!

Can't really hiss while talking, can ya now?

Good lil fic, still.

That was great the emotions and characters felt very real. I how to see more like this maybe a bit longer though but regardless of length I'll take more.

I am constantly thinking about how Rarity confesses her feelings and I can't help but think Applejack knows exactly what she's saying. I printed this story out and keep reading it and I still can't get enough! What have you done to me? I love it!:raritydespair:+:ajsleepy:=:heart:
I love seeing them start amongst tears and sadness like that. It hurts, but they won't hurt for much longer.

2464634

Damn. :twilightoops: :twilightsheepish: Printed it out??? I'm... I'm flattered. Really! Thanks

When it comes to shipfics, I don't really hate them or love them.

But yours are a whole other matter. Some of the most consistently excellent romances on Fimf, in my moustachioed opinion. :moustache:

2829147

*blushes furiously* You flatter me, you bastard. However, the true shipping guru is none other than Donny's Boy. Trust me, his work dwarfs my own, and I'm proud to say it! He's on my favorites list. I COMMAND YOU to rad his work! :flutterrage:

that was............... fuckin amazing. *manly tears ensue* :fluttercry::pinkiesad2::raritycry::raritydespair:

Can't resist me a nice bit of Rarijack.
Great story mate :twilightsmile:

3248756 Well, you're in luck! Rarijack is my OTP.

This was...odd. I didn't get enough of a grip on what their relationship was tl this point. Are they friends? Dating? In Denial? I applaud subtlety just fine but the lack of clarity meant I just couldn't get int this fic. That said it's still well written and appealing so I'm not about to downvote, Just not upvoting either. sorry.

Out of curiosity who's the "stallion" in this relationship? Applejack seems like a tomboy (just seems, not much use for fussiness on a farm) but Rarity has that phallus symbol on her head.

3358682 HAH! Phallus symbol...

Anyway, I've always, always saw Applejack as the dominant one in any RariJack, only equalized by Rarity's mean streak that always keeps Applejack in line (Power of the Wife).

"I hate you..."
"I know..."
I really couldn't help but see Han Solo and Leia in "The Empire Strikes Back" here.

Just like in the film you built up the emotion to dam bursting levels where words now get in the way. Then, you just get out of the way.
Very good story sir.
This being the first story I have read from you, I am now going to have to check out some more.

3478963 Wow... That image didn't even pop in my head until you mentioned it. Hopefully, your comment won't inspire a half-assed Star Wars crossover with ponies replacing the main characters. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed this one, just know that most of my work after this is a ground-breaking improvement, as result of my 'Improvement Crusade' back in March.

You shall not be disappointed (I hope).

Craine...

Well, that sounds like the sort of setup for a whirlwind romance novel that will have all sorts of hot sex and angry arguments and end up with the two of them bitter and dead to love by the end of it all. Seriously, the sort of co-dependence on display here, with Applejack cynically exploiting Rarity's guilt only for the latter to fall for it and ruin any hope for the sort of fame and fortune she'd dreamed of, leaves little room for a happy ending. So now Applejack has her woman locked down and Rarity is denied any advancement even as she sits back and watches Applejack's farm grow and prosper. After a few years, pain and jealousy at having her own dreams dashed as her lover continues to fulfill her own drives Rarity insane, and whether it ends in violence or not, the relationship becomes permanently fractured, and in the end neither is truly happy.

Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous story, and it's amazingly written, but that's the future I kinda see for the characters here.

Maybe I'm just jaded. :rainbowderp:

3557455 He he, just showing off where this could lead into the sort of tragic romantic drama you'd see on Lifetime, complete with the torrid affair where Rarity ends up in the forelegs of a pony who won't keep her held back, only to end up in a huge love triangle as she still can't get over Applejack. Bonus points if the third pony is one of their friends...

3557524 Stop it! Stop giving me ideas! It ain't healthy!

3557524
3557646
Ooooh! Maybe Rainbow Dash, after losing her shot at the Wonderbolts due to a horrific wing injury, bonds with Rarity over their shattered dreams (and a bottle of wine, of course), which leads to them having an affair, and they both want to stop it but can't because they realize their sordid relationship is the only thing that brings either of them any joy anymore! :pinkiegasp:
i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/609/264/c37.jpg

Rarijack is my favourite ship and this is a great read. I love these pre-relationship stories, how they're differences both infuriate and bond them together. Going to read more of you rarijack fics. Greenthumbed!

What is the literary term for this situation? Two people who mutually hate and love each other? They hate each other so much they can only express it by kissing?
Both loving and hating some-one keeps them on your mind constantly, so hate, with along with other factors leads to love.

"C'mon, Rare. Ain't y'all gonna talk to me?" came a strangely pleading voice.

This should be "you" or "ya". Y'all is a plural "you", as in, addressing a group of people, or addressing one person who is the representative of a group. You might say "y'all" when talking to a mayor who is acting on behalf of their town, but you wouldn't if they were acting as a private individual.

"Why did y'all stay?"

Same here.

"Get out..." Rarity hissed, gaining a solid sneer in return.

"No. I won't," Applejack bit back.

This could be strengthened by cutting out the "gaining a solid sneer in return" and "Applejack bit back." And really, "No, I won't," isn't the strongest way of phrasing this. Maybe "I ain't budgin' 'til you tell me what I did." or something.

I really liked the sentiments behind this piece, but I feel like sometimes the prose didn't do it justice. A bit of repetitive sentence structure here, a bit of inappropriate telling there, and it doesn't give the piece quite as much punch as it deserves.

4895840 The funny thing is, you pointed about an eighth of everything I find wrong with this nowadays. The sad truth is, this is a result of the 'Improvement Crusade' I took in 2012. I look back at this thing at least once a month and shake my head. But, of course, we ALL have one of those (I have seven).

Admittedly, I was pleased to see a review from you, if only because you're as--if not more--obsessed with RariJack as I am. But, really, my magnum opus for the pairing is far better than this, if I do say so myself (and I do :ajsmug:)

Thanks for reviewing, Titanium.

Craine...

4898892
Oh, I know how that goes. I actually went back and rewrote one of my early short stories because I was like, "God, how did I think this was good?"

I mean, the story was good, but the prose. Good god, the prose. How many ways are there of not saying Rarity's way? The answer was like, seven or something.

In a story which was like 750 words long. :raritycry:

I... still haven't read your magnum opus. I don't know how. I need to fix that.

I really need to have a "read later" list and a "I will actually read this later" list.

4901649 Ah, rewriting old works. I'll admit, I've learned to stop doing that some years, if only to remind myself where I've been and what mistakes I've made. It helped. A lot. By doing so, and dissecting the reviews I received, I've nailed MANY flaws in my writing. I'd like to think that should be a common thing for any writers, but we all have our ways (thus, proof that I've written terrible, TERRIBLE things).

And, honestly, don't worry so much about my other RariJack; the fame for that has come and gone, and, really, I'm happy where it stopped. By all means, read it ten years from now; it was just a pleasure to write. Good times, man. *Sighs*... Good times.

Craine...

This has been on of my favorite rarijack fics ever. Do you mind if I use it as my very first fanfic reading?

5301282 You know? I wouldn't mind that at all. :twilightblush:

5303165

thank you again for letting me.

5307558 *wipes foam from mouth*
I'm almost POSITIVE I didn't write something as beautiful as you made it sound. I... I don't know what to say except well done. Very well done for you first reading. And I'm beyond honored that I've been chosen to be your first guinea pi... ... ... Huh.

Craine...

So, where they somehow involved with each other before all this, or was that like the Big Moment for them? I mean, there's some conflicting implications here.

This story man... DIS TORY M8!
It was amazing, abosolutly... AMAZING!
*sigh*
Maybe new favourite story.


Once more: Amazing :pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment