• Published 8th Apr 2013
  • 5,253 Views, 151 Comments

Journal of a Lost Changeling - IMR1fley



A changeling wakes up after the failed invasion of Canterlot in a new and unknown world. These are the written logs of Drone 1074, as he tries to survive, but how will a changeling feed in a world without love? (A Minecraft Crossover)

  • ...
6
 151
 5,253

Journal Entry Twelve - HAYO's guide to Crafting a new Industrial Revolution.

Entry Twelve


I must admit, this is the one I've probably been the most exited to look into. Of all the books, this one in particular puzzles me the most. So much of it is foreign to me, and that is only a first impression made by looking at the cover. It's cover making the odd choice of having a metal exterior, the unknown element it's made of, and the title. HAYO sounds like it would be one of the puns the ponies would make in order to mind irony in their town names, personal names, or any kind of title that could be made into some form of equine pun. I will never understand that fascination.

This book seems to have a few more specific topics included in the book, and some additional ways of coping with and changing the world. Not only that, but it also has more information on new elements, plants, minerals, and resources. This makes me a bit more skeptical on the author/authors of the earlier encyclopedia. It's possible that it may also just be a bit old and outdated.

This book doesn't seem to have the broad, general topics that the Mining/Crafting encyclopedia did. Instead, it has more specific topics, going into great details on the subject matter at hand. These topics can be divided into:

Resources

Agriculture

Tools/Armor

Machines

Energy/Wiring

Neuclear Reactor Components

Going in order, my first impressions are as such:

Resources: This section fills in some of the holes that were left out of the Encyclopedia. Many new elements, ores, and metals are mentioned in here, and it also gives instruction on how to find the ores, and combine them to make new ones, like for example, combining three parts copper, one part tin, and making Bronze. There are also processes to refine iron, and make silver, though no way on how to find it is currently given.

Next in this sections are the natural things found, usually on the surface, Like rubber, rubber trees (why that's not in the Agriculture, I don't know yet,) resin, and other things you can find that I feel would be useful for whatever activities one would partake in described in this book.

Last in the resource section, is the advanced section. I'm not going to give this a thorough look through, because I'm sure most of them would be over my head. These are all quite far into the process of advancement, so I'm certain I won't be using any of them anytime soon. The various things it go into details are: Advanced alloys, Carbon plating, Carbon meshes, Coal chunks/clusters/balls, Industrial diamonds, Storage/Energy crystals, "U-U Matter," and "Iridium." Those last few look interesting, but well over my head.

Agriculture: I see now that this goes more into crops, crop breeding, and maintenance of crops. There are a few new plants mentioned, (Some I've never heard of,) but nothing extremely useful for me to use.

Tools/Armor: Let's start with armor, as this is the simplest section.

The armor layout is very simple and similar to the standard armors that were mentioned in the previous book, with the exception of a few items. For example, the "Nano" set of armor has a type of headgear called "Nightvision Goggles," and the purpose of that is quite obvious. Also, the set titled the "Hazmat Suit" I find puzzling. I'm not sure how protective it can be, seeing as it's made from almost nothing but rubber. It looks like it would only be useful for handling hazardous mate-...

Oh... Well now I feel like an idiot. Should have seen that one.

There are also several different utility items found in the armor section, ranging from energy packs for powering tools, to "Static Boots." I'm not too sure what one would use that for.

This brings us to the Tools section. There is a set of mundane bronze tools in this section, but there isn't that big a difference between these tools and the tools found in the previous book as well. Once we pass those, however, we reach a new form of power tools that have a staggering amount of use and variety. We have several different types of mining drills, chainsaws, tools, and a few weapons, if I'm not mistaken. (I will say, however, that the last time I checked, laser weapons were solely something of science fiction.) There are also a few other tools of note, though most of them also seem relatively mundane. Wrenches, treetaps, hammers, trowels, etc, etc.

Machines: By the queen's tattered wings, the machines. There are SO MANY MACHINES! This section is by far the largest in this entire book. The sheer number of subsections is staggering enough, but there are so many things in each subsection that each one could be an entire topic! There is no conceivable way I could write enough about this down in this journal. While the previous encyclopedia had some information on the workings of the entire world, there were few details and little complexity. The basic workings of the world are easy to understand for the most part.

This book, however, is a MUCH more specific, advanced, and complex system and guide. The machines and their components are so complex, it will be a miracle if I can understand half of them. There are machines that generate electricity for use with other machines, (including the "Nuclear Reactor." I will stay away from that for now, if the several warning stickers, disclaimers, and ominous looking icons painted on the sides of the reactor are any indication.) There are machines that process materials, for all different kinds of uses. There are utility machines, terraforming machines, heat generating machines, gathering machines, and Mass Fabricators!

I will definitely have to return to this section repeatedly.

Energy and Wiring: This section is much simpler, but has a few complex machines of its' own. The focus here is on transferring and storing power to the machines. There are several wire types, ranging from copper, to diamond/glass fiber cables. Various types of insulation are available as well, though they mostly seem to be for the more high voltage cables. After energy transfer, we have energy storage. There is information on both stationary, and portable forms of power storage. Other than that, there is also a section on transformers, which ensure that your machines to not overload through too much power. It mentions possible catastrophic failures. That does not sound like a pleasant experience...

Lastly, we have the final subject in this matter.

Nuclear Reactor Components: This section is focused on the different items used to make a nuclear reactor function. I'm heavily glossing over this section, mostly since I already have learned enough for the moment. I've already established that I won't be using a nuclear reactor anytime soon, so I won't worry too much about what goes inside it.

That said, the prime focus on this section is about the different radioactive material, and keeping it at a low temperature. I don't see much difference with the types of fuel, but the cooling elements are relatively diverse. This allows for many different types of cooling methods. Makes sense, given how dangerous a catastrophic nuclear failure could be. The book stresses this highly. There's also a diagram of an above ground nuclear failure, and (if the scale is correct,) the damage radius is both frightening, and astounding.

This entire book is mind boggling. The sheer volume of actual specific knowledge, as well as the number of independent items and machines, promises a new form of living standards, and ease of use. I actually believe, should I ever return home, the knowledge found inside could be used to benefit the whole of changeling kind! And once we've built and expanded our empire, and either conquered or made peace with the rest of the world, we could sell or rent other items to others races all across Equs!

My next look will be at "A Beginners Guide to Building Machines." This book is considerably smaller, though the cover does intrigue me somewhat. We'll see what this book has to offer. Until then, I'll have a rest. Reading these two books combined have exhausted me. I'm not sure what I'll do for now, but I'm sure I'll think of something soon.

Author's Note:

Well, at least it wasn't a year!

That said, I'm not sure how I want to continue.

What I mean by that is, I don't know if I want to hold on Iota reading the other two books, or if I want to get back to him using what he's learned so far. I think I'll leave it up to you.

In the comments, I'll leave two individual comments stating the two directions I might go. Vote the option you want up.