• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 2,958 Views, 82 Comments

Hey Diddle Diddle, A Visit From Fiddle - Metool Bard



Fiddlesticks decides to pay her twin sister a visit. Cue the sitcom shenanigans!

  • ...
3
 82
 2,958

Town Pony, Country Pony

A heavy silence filled the air as Octavia continued to stare at the visitor with her mouth agape. This didn't seem to dampen the visitor's mood any.

"Oh, don't act so surprised," she said with a giggle. "Didn't y'all get mah note? Ah said Ah was comin' in to visit ya."

Octavia tried to say something, but her mind was too muddled to form a coherent thought. "I... That was... How is this...? You..."

"Whoa, whoa. Settle down there," said the visitor, becoming concerned. "Y'all look like you're ready to faint."

"That's, actually not a bad idea," said Octavia as she felt her constitution fail her.

"Whoop! Ah gotcha," said the visitor, catching Octavia before she fell. "Trust me, Sis. Ah didn't come all this way just to have ya pass out on me."

"Mmm," Octavia mumbled, slowly regaining her composure. "I-I thought that letter was just a joke."

The visitor flashed a warm smile. "Well, it ain't. Ah'm the real McCoy, alright. And Ah can prove it."

Octavia looked up at the enigmatic mare and raised an eyebrow. "How?"

"Hang on."

The visitor then reached into her saddlebag and pulled out a fiddle and bowstring.

"Tell me if y'all remember this," she said. She then began to play "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star" with slight variations. Octavia's eyes widened in wonder.

"Wait! I remember that!" she exclaimed. "I played that at my recital when I was a filly! H-how'd you know?"

"Well, that's easy," said the visitor with a smile. "Ah heard you practice it every day."

Octavia took a moment to process this. "S-so, you're really...?"

"Yeppers," said the visitor. "Ah'm yer twin sister, Fiddlesticks."

There was a pause as Octavia had to once again gather her thoughts. "W-well, I must confess, I'm finding myself rather speechless," she said. "I mean, I don't know what to say."

Fiddlesticks smirked as she put her fiddle away. "How 'bout y'all start by invitin' me in?"

"Oh! Right," said Octavia, her face turning red. "I'm, terribly sorry."

Fiddlesticks laughed and gave Octavia a hearty pat on the back. "Hey, stop bein' so nervous, Sis. There ain't nuttin' to worry about."

Octavia gave Fiddlesticks an odd look. "You do realize I'm greeting you in my robes, right? I mean, I just got out of bed."

"That so?" said Fiddlesticks. "Shoot, now Ah regret makin' such an early train. Good thing Hayseed bumped into me at the station an' told me where y'all live."

"Hayseed?" asked Octavia.

"Hayseed Turnip, a friend o'mine," Fiddlesticks explained. "We're actually pretty close, though Ah didn't know he did odd jobs around Canterlot. Heh, small world, ain't it?"

"I, suppose," said Octavia before clearing her throat. "Um, won't you come in?"

"Ah thought you'd never ask," said Fiddlesticks as she made her way into the apartment and took a look around. "Hoowee~. Pretty swanky setup y'all have got yerself here, Tavia. Y'all don't mind if Ah call ya that, do ya?"

"I-it's fine," said Octavia. "C-can I get you anything? I was just making a pot of coffee."

"Hmm? Oh, sure. Coffee sounds nice," said Fiddlesticks. "Is there anywhere in particular you want me to put mah saddlebags?"

"Oh, right. Just a moment," said Octavia. "Vinyl!"

Vinyl Scratch poked her head into the living room. "You called?"

"Would you mind making yourself useful and helping our guest with her bags?"

Vinyl raised an eyebrow. "First dinner, then the mail, now this? Octy, why must I do everything around here?"

"Please tell me you didn't just say that," said Octavia, rubbing the bridge of her nose with her hoof.

"I, didn't just say that," said Vinyl with a shrug. "Feel better?"

Octavia groaned. "Vinyl, this isn't a good time."

"Um, sorry. Ah'm a bit outta the loop here," said Fiddlesticks. "Who's this?"

"Oh, right. I should probably introduce you two," said Octavia. "Fiddlesticks, this is my roommate, Vinyl Scratch."

Fiddlesticks looked over at Vinyl and squinted. "Hmm. She looks mighty familiar," she mused.

"Familiar?" parroted Octavia. "Have you two met before?"

"Maybe," said Fiddlesticks. "But Ah can't put mah hoof on it."

"Oh, wait! I think I know what you're talking about," said Vinyl. "Just a sec."

She zipped back into her studio and emerged wearing her purple shades. Fiddlesticks's eyes went wide.

"Now Ah remember! You're that DJ P0N-3 gal!" she said. "Ah hear yer stuff on the radio all the time."

"Yep, that's me," said Vinyl with a complacent grin. "Very few ponies are oblivious to my awesomeness."

"And those few are very lucky," Octavia muttered.

Fiddlesticks beamed and walked up to Vinyl. "Well, howdy-do there, missy. Name's Fiddlesticks."

"Nice to meetcha," said Vinyl, shaking Fiddlesticks's hoof. "And if I may say so, you're kinda hot."

"Vinyl~! Don't you know any restraint?!" Octavia scolded. "I'm so, so sorry, Fiddlesticks. Vinyl can be a bit, rude sometimes."

"Don't sweat it. Ah like ponies that speak their mind," said Fiddlesticks. "Ah gotta say, Tavia. Ah never would've pictured a prim and proper pony like you bunkin' with the one and only DJ P0N-3."

"Yeah, life's weird like that," said Vinyl. "So, you're Tavi's sister, huh?"

"Darn tootin'," said Fiddlesticks.

"Cool. Got any embarrassing stories about her?"

"Vinyl, she just got here!" Octavia admonished.

Fiddlesticks chuckled. "Lighten up, Tavia. You're gonna dig yerself an early grave if y'all keep stressin' out like that."

"Trust me, if anything is going to drive me to an early grave, it's Vinyl," said Octavia dryly.

"Hey, I resent that!" said Vinyl with a pout.

Fiddlesticks laughed again. "Well, looks like Ah'm gonna enjoy it here," she said. "Oh! Y'all didn't have breakfast yet, didja?"

"Um, not yet," said Octavia. "Why?"

"Ah got some apple dumplings from Appleoosa," said Fiddlesticks, reaching into her saddlebag and pulling out a small sack. "Ah figured we could have that."

"O-oh. Well, thank you," said Octavia. "Let's retire to the kitchen so that we can enjoy them properly. Vinyl, could you please go put Fiddlesticks's bags in the hall closet?"

"Right away, my liege," said Vinyl facetiously as she used her magic to carry the saddlebags away.

"Ah like her. She's got a good sense of humor," said Fiddlesticks as Octavia ushered her into the kitchen.

"No comment," said Octavia, walking over to the counter and pouring three cups of coffee. "How do you take your coffee, Fiddlesticks?"

"Surprise me," said Fiddlesticks with a shrug.

Octavia shrugged as well as she got to work setting the table. "So, I take it you're living in Appleloosa now. How's that working out for you?"

"Huh? Oh, nonononono," said Fiddlesticks, shaking her head. "Ah don't live in Appleloosa. Ah was jus' passin' through."

"Oh. Then, where do you live?"

"Equestria."

Octavia gave Fiddlesticks a quizzical look. "Um, care to be more specific?"

"Well, it's like this," said Fiddlesticks. "Ah ain't the kinda pony who likes to settle down anywheres. Ah go wherever the wind takes me. One day Ah'm in Ponyville, the next Ah'm heading out to Gallopin' Gorge. Y'all might be content livin' here in the big city, and Ah respect that. But that life jus' ain't fer me. Ah prefer strollin' the roads of Equestria with a fiddle on mah back and a song in mah heart."

"Doesn't it get lonely, though?" asked Octavia, finally sitting down and helping herself to an apple dumpling.

"Not as much as ya think," said Fiddlesticks. "Ah know plenty of ponies all across Equestria, and quite a few of them are willin' to give me room and board whenever Ah need it."

"Hmm," said Octavia, unsure of how to respond to that.

"Oh, sorry! Ah'm doin' all the talkin', aren't Ah?" said Fiddlesticks. "Tell me about yerself, Tavia. What have y'all been up to?"

Before Octavia could answer, Vinyl walked in.

"I've put the saddlebags away, my liege," she said with a bow.

"Oh, cut it out," Octavia said in an exasperated tone.

Fiddlesticks snickered. "Ah guess you're the one in charge 'round these parts, eh?"

"Indeed she is, m'lady," said Vinyl, maintaining her act. "All hail Lady Tavi, Her Royal Snootiness!"

Octavia rolled her eyes. "Would you just give it a rest?" she groaned. "I don't think Fiddlesticks wants to hear this."

"Ah don't mind," said Fiddlesticks. "Y'all wouldn't be roommates if ya didn't get on each other's nerves once in a while."

"And Tavi says that's what I do best," said Vinyl, helping herself to an apple dumpling.

"Yes, you're quite the expert," said Octavia. "Um, Fiddlesticks? Do you mind waiting here for a moment? I need to speak with Vinyl in private."

"Hmm? Oh, sure. Ah'm not plannin' on goin' anywhere," said Fiddlesticks.

"Thanks," said Octavia. "Vinyl, meet me in the bedroom."

"I think it's a bit too early for that, Octy," said Vinyl. "At least slip into something more comfortable."

Octavia sighed. "That's not what I meant, and you know it. Now come on."

She then marched into the bedroom. Vinyl gave Fiddlesticks a shrug and followed.

"Yep. She's still the same ole Tavia," said Fiddlesticks, sniggering and shaking her head.