• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 2,471 Views, 53 Comments

A Morning Ritual - Honey Mead



Having a morning ritual allows a pony to prepare for the coming day with a minimum of thought, thus freeing their minds to contemplate everything from the past to the future... for some this is less then ideal.

  • ...
6
 53
 2,471

The Mirror's Image

Fleur de Lis’ breath left her body at a calm, steady rate. Her eyes were closed, and she stirred not an inch. Even her ears remained motionless in her state of repose under her rich silk sheets, or so it would seem to anypony who may have taken the time to notice.

They would be wrong. In truth, Fleur de Lis was waiting. She had been waiting for the better part of the past hour. It was all part of her morning ritual, a ritual that had started some three years prior.

At the appointed time—the same time it occurred every morning—the pony beside her rolled out of the bed to land softly on his four un-slippered hooves. The almost imperceptible sound cut through her ears like a hoof scrapping a chalkboard. Still, her breathing did not falter, nor did her ears twitch or her eyelids flicker. The pain that simple sound caused had scarred years ago, and she had grown used to it, fearing its absence almost as much as she feared its continued recurrence.

The quartet of hooves moved cautiously away from the shared bed to the bathroom located on his side of the room. Only after she was sure the door had closed did she break from her self-imposed paralysis, sliding out from under the sheets to stand at her side of the bed. With practiced, unconscious accuracy, her magic found and pulled the bell cord to summon Seline, her lady's maid.

Three years... almost to the day. It had started out so innocently. A simple gift, something so small and innocuous that she’d never really given it any thought. He’d smiled at the slippers. The soft blue matched his eyes perfectly; it was why she’d bought them in the first place. The next morning she’d woken up early and, upon noticing the time, decided to wait it out, to reclaim the hour of sleep her body had tried to deny her. Lying there, eyes closed, she heard him. A quartet of hooves clicking on the hard floor. It was so small, so unimportant, and yet... yet nothing had hurt quite so much as that quiet sound.

Fleur had never held any illusions regarding their marriage. Love had never been a factor in the decision; it was the furthest thing from their minds at the time. The both of them agreed; their union was nothing but a political and social move. It had worked spectacularly too. Overnight, they went from being two popular and well-liked ponies to a powerhouse couple that rivaled even the princess, now princesses.

And yet... and yet some small part of her had held onto a hope. A small spark of possibility that, maybe, just maybe, they would grow to love each other. It wasn’t so much to ask, to find joy in the pony with whom she now shared her life. To be the cause of his smiles as he was the cause of hers.

In the same motion that rang the bell, she retrieved the bathrobe Fancypants had bought her that same year. The plush, almost white, pink robe was more comfortable than any clothing had a right to be; or it would be if it didn't make her itch furiously. She wore it every day. Winter or summer, it made no difference. Without fail, the sleeves encased her forelegs, and the belt cinched across her barrel. The ritual was so ingrained in her that she may as well have been asleep.

Moving to her own bathroom, she couldn’t deny the appeal of that thought. Perhaps this was just one, long, extended nightmare that refused to end. Some part of her psyche holding her mind captive as her real self slept fitfully beside a husband who could love her.

Seline stepped into the bathroom a moment later with a casual greeting, one Fleur returned without thought. So their mutual ritual began. Pointless words spoken and returned while a bath was drawn and makeup set aside. Ten minutes later, Fleur was neck deep in the brass tub, the smell of roses filling the air from the oils and lotions added to the heated water.

Seline grew quiet as she worked the brush over Fleur’s coat, forcing out what little grit and dirt there was to be found.

Were it a dream, it would be the most real dream she’d ever experienced, lasting three long years with only a single instance of surrealism to mark it as such.

That first morning had opened her eyes, and, try as she might, they would not close. She began to see the small things, things that she had passed off as little nothings without meaning. They held meaning though, so much meaning. Each one a betrayal, each one a twist of the knife that had pierced her heart that first morning. How she failed to notice it previously, she did not know. Willful blindness perhaps, though she didn’t believe that was right. It had simply never crossed her mind as a possibility. She wondered if any other pony ever noticed.

Leaving the now lukewarm water, Fleur allowed the slight chill of the air to banish any lingering drowsiness. Seline responded quickly and wrapped her in a series of towels until she was fully encased in the absorbent cloth. They let the towels do their work of wicking away the moisture and turned their attention instead to the makeup arrayed before them.

There was not much as Fleur had no intentions of leaving the mansion and so felt no need to put great effort into her appearance. A light pink eyeshadow and a reserved application of powder to disguise any blemishes on her cheeks.

A lullaby flowed from Fleur’s lips while Seline turned her attention to the mess of pink that made up her mistress’ mane and tail. Seline persisted against tangles as Fleur sang, both wielding the only weapon available to fight their private battle. The former eventually hers aside in triumph.

Her role in their ritual finished, Seline was dismissed with a nod, sent off to see to breakfast, leaving Fleur with only her reflection and song.

The mare looking back at her was a beauty. There was nothing boastful about the statement. It was a simple fact agreed upon by all. Even Celestia herself had complimented her on her form. Of all her memories, there was none brighter than that moment. The words had been simple, a small comparison that had been made by a great many before her. Coming from the Princess, however, they held a whole new meaning.

For the first time that morning, a genuine smile found its way to her lips as she imagined her mane as a flowing spectrum of color waving gracefully behind her. The lullaby began to shift in kind, the tones lifting from their melancholic notes to something approaching a soothing meter.

The bedroom door closed, marking Fancypants’ exit. Fleur’s voice faltered, and the moment was lost.

Towels rose from her flanks and withers, folding in midair and falling into the laundry basket. The bathrobe returned to her, slipping easily back into place. The morning was chilly enough to justify its use even if that was not why she chose to wear it.

Not for the first time, she felt the tears fighting for release. She didn’t know what she was doing. The robe itched terribly, or rather, her mind made it itch. It carried with it nothing but painful memories of all the poor choices she’d made to reach her dreams. Every morning she tortured herself with those reminders, and for what? Fancy never noticed, whether from ignorance or malice she did not know, but she could not stop herself. Did she really want to see him realize just what he was doing to her? He wasn’t a bad pony. Indeed, he was far nicer than any stallion she had met before or since. Yet, here she was, hoping that he’d take notice of this small thing, realize that she knew and see her pain reflected in his eyes. When had she become so cruel?

Turning from the mirror and the devil it reflected, Fleur finally left, forcing thoughts of her morning repast to take precedence.

Those thoughts died as she entered the sunroom. The smell of coffee permeated the air, overpowering her more subtle perfumes. Fancypants lounged in his usual seat, a lone mug of coffee on the table before him. Oddly, the newspaper which would normally hid the stallion's face sat discarded in the middle of the table.

Fleur barely noticed, too distracted by the false, empty smile with which her husband greeted her. She returned it with no more sincerity, managing to conceal her mixture of relief and anger at his continued lack of recognition.

Seline entered a moment later with a breakfast tray balanced on her back. Setting the dishes neatly about Fleur, Seline bowed and left the couple to their chosen breakfasts.

Fleur began her meal more out of rote than hunger, taking a few bites before chancing a glance across the table to witness Fancypants' face. She knew at once that something was off. He’d not taken a single sip of his beloved beverage, and his eyes had barely left the discarded stack of papers between them. In a fit of curiosity, Fleur claimed the folded paper to quickly scan the articles.

Her emotions raged between such opposites of joy and anguish that she felt she must surely be laughing and crying in equal measure. The next words to fill the air could not have possibly come from her. They were far too cold and steady, almost detached in their complete lack of emotion.

And there it was, the one thing she had wanted and feared more than anything else in the world. She hadn’t known what to expect in that moment, would she feel pain or relief, the freedom of vindication or the weight of guilt. There were none of these. Instead, she felt naught but hollow, like her heart had beat its last.

In his eyes, those eyes she had both wished to love and struggled to hate, she saw what she had never expected:

Herself.

Author's Note:

First, thank you for taking the time to read my little piece of fiction.

I never really intended to write a follow up to the first chapter until after it was published. After that I worked on this for two weeks before throwing everything away. Then two nights ago it hit me and I beat out the rough draft in an hour and with the help of a friend shaped it up sporadically until releasing it.

It losses some of it's impact being presented separately from the original, if I'd planned this I would have made them a single chapter that inter-sped both perspectives for maximum effect. Either way, I hope you enjoyed it, please leave any thoughts in the comments section; I am always open to criticism.

Comments ( 37 )

This story really makes me feels sad for Fancy and Fleur. :fluttercry:

Holy Jumping Jesus on a blue spray painted pogo stick....

2980516
Uhm.... thanks?:trixieshiftright:

2980521
Sorry... those where the only words that could describe my awe at your unquestionable brilliance

2980539
I hope Fancy doesn't knock Fleur up >.< A foal doesn't need to be in the middle of this

In the long description:

for some this is less then ideal

I think it's obvious what off here,having been there for months on end.

3318020
:twilightoops:
Though, I feel that I have to point out the slight errors in your own post.:trixieshiftright:

3318128

Sorry 'bout that. My brain wasn't all there, because that's what happens when it's 3pm and no sleep was had the night before :derpytongue2:

3318821
Hehe, I know the feeling, I also meant to say 'Thank you' but apparently didn't. So, you know, Thanks.

3318916

No worries, friend. Now to the bed that beckons me back!

Sorry for the lateness. The QA guy assigned to this had prior responsibilities to attend to. Hope you find the score I gave it the fairest can be :pinkiesmile:

This story has been reviewed by The Equestrian Critics Society.

Story Title: A Morning Ritual

Author: Honey Mead

Reviewed by: Blankscape

‘Morning Ritual’ gets lauded for excellence in practically everything. It is as tragic as it promises, and the words Honey Mead uses to convey this wonderful story is nothing short of concise right to the ‘e’. A gracefully apropos and satisfying tale.

Full Review

Score: 10/10

3400719
Nope, totally unfair. I can't believe--
What?
Oh. OH! Ahem. I mean, yes, yes that seems fair.

3400941

Really, really, really fair? Or is that the smugness from getting a 10? :trixieshiftleft:

2373232

In that case, Fancy needs to quit being a bitch, cowboy the fuck up and stop giving a fuck what people say.

This story... Well, you did a great job of capturing the hollow, claustrophobic feel of the relationship, but... I don't know, maybe this is just me being a cold, heartless bastard, but I have zero sympathy for their plight. There is literally nothing holding them in this marriage. If it was an arranged thing, then fine, but it's not, they could call ti quits and face nothing but the scrutiny of the snobbish elite... which Fancy has shown to not give a shit about.

And that is my main problem with the story: Fancy Pants seems out of character from what we see from him in the show. In Sweet & Elite, we see that Fancy gives not two shits about the opinions of the snobs. If he did, he would have kicked out the Mane Six for being "uncouth." Instead, he welcomes them as Rarity's friends. Through his facial expressions, his words, and his interaction with Jet Set and Upper Crust, it is pretty clear that he holds their duplicitous nature in contempt, and was more than happy to smack them down. I mean, I guess you could argue that he was ignorant and just being a faffing twit about the situation, but that seems a bit of a stretch. Furthermore, unless you see it as a simple animation error or random nothing, his appearance in Too Many Pinkie Pies suggests that he still has a relationship with Rarity, to the point of visiting her in Ponyville.

It is very possible that this is all just headcanon, so grab yourself a grain of salt, but this just feels... ugh, iunno. Like, I can't See Fancy Pants being such a coward about this kind of thing, that he would go so far as to get married to cover him being gay. Is Equestria really that hostile, that they would shun him for being gay? And even if he would suffer some huge "backlash" from the upper crust(huehuehuehue), would he really care? Again, we've seen that the opinions of those douchebags can be swayed so very easily, so wouldn't he more likely try and be an engine for change? If the snobs are really that homophobic, then come out and shotgun blast it out there, force their prejudices into the court of public opinion!

So... yeah. No downvote, because as I said, you did a damn fine job of conveying the emotions you wanted to, I just can't see it working out like that. Honestly? I was much more even-tempered about it until I read your little spoiler. Then, it just rubbed me in wrong ways. I hate people who feel the need to be fake, or hide themselves, especially when there are no physical threats. If he was some poor guy in some backwater podunk redneck place, then yeah, I could see this. But as one of the most important ponies in the country? Naw. Fancy just needs to quit being a bitch and be himself.

"I say, my fellow fillies and gentlecolts, I am a poofing tail-raiser, and if you don't like it, then by all means, bite my Fancy ass, though I dare say you may have to wait in line." :twilightsmile:

3596340
Thank you. I tend to agree with you.
Allow me to rebut anyway.

While it's true that Fancy is shown to have little regard for such ponies as Upper Crust, there are limits to such things. It is one thing to be a patron of less than 'couth' ponies and activities, and another to actively participate in them.

Fancy Pants is depicted (in my opinion) not so much as above the other nobility so much as at the top of the food chain. What I mean is, his opinion carries with it a great deal of weight, but that doesn't mean he can't be pulled down. You have to keep in mind that he is still a part of the upper class of Canterlot. He still lives with and interacts with them, and likely relies on them for business purposes, on a daily basis. He is in Canterlot because it is where he thrives the most. His ability to play the social games of the upper class are supreme, but it is still a game with rules.

Supporting Rarity and Co. was his way of screaming for someone to save him. Throughout Sweet and Elite Rarity tries to hide who she is until it becomes impossible. At that moment she chooses who she is over who she pretends to be. Had Fancy not been there things would have gone very badly. Fancy saw himself in Rarity. They were on the same path, both hiding their true selves. He swooped in and saved her, just like he needs someone else to do. The act was likely a risk, it is not unreasonable to think that the others could have just as easily turned on him as well, but one he was willing to take. He lives in fear of the day that he is in the same position. Will he follow Rarity's example, or will he deny himself one final time? Will there be somepony there to catch him if he jumps?

Fancy and Fleur are my favorite background characters, and this is definitely not my preferred portrayal of them. I want Fancy to be a true paragon. I want him to be smart, handsome, successful, and above all good. I just have a hard time imagining anyone on such simple terms. Everyone's got daemons to deal with and sometimes the best of us are the weakest.

I've never come to any solid opinion on Equestria's stance on homosexuality. For the purposes of this story, it's at the least deviant enough that he fears losing everything he's built. Would he come out on top? Probably, but (like a highschool boy asking a girl out) just because it can't really end worse than it already is doesn't make it any easier.

Thanks for reading. Mostly thanks for commenting though, I love defending my ideas. It forces me to analyze myself in ways I otherwise wouldn't.

"I say, my fellow fillies and gentlecolts, I am a poofing tail-raiser, and if you don't like it, then by all means, bite my Fancy ass, though I dare say you may have to wait in line."

pic mostly unrelated.
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109212453/lore-threewords.gif

3596522

Probably, but (like a highschool boy asking a girl out) just because it can't really end worse than it already is doesn't make it any easier.

My issue with this story in a nutshell.

When I look back on myself in high school, I cringe. Literally. I loathe that I was ever that concerned with public opinion that I would hide who I was and pretend to be who I was not just to avoid whispers and scorn. Now, being a grown up.... well, "grown up," I gained the strength that comes with experience, the wisdom of years, few though they may be, that tells me not to worry about such things.

When you paint Fancy like this, it's almost insulting to him. It makes him out to be a coward, some cringing schoolboy who worries about the opinions of others. He's not some confident, strong stallion who learned how to play the game; he's a sniveling weasel who learned how to bend himself over backwards to gain public favor, twisting and writhing to be what he's not so he can bask in the fake warmth of people he loathes.

Wait...

:pinkiegasp:

Well played, you crafty bastard. Well played, indeed...

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

I think you were just a little too subtle with the ending. All the pieces are there, and completely obvious in hindsight, but there's enough of an open ending that it's not entirely clear what's going on. There isn't, in other words, anything pushing the reader towards any particular interpretation so that they can say with certainty that they know what's going on. At least, I didn't feel that way. I had to read the spoilers. :B

3596684
This is a problem that I have a great deal of difficulty reconciling. It'd very easy for me to say that everyone else is being obtuse, but I don't think that would be honest or fair. I want to be one of those writers who can hit the mark and leave the reader dropping away with a hand over their mouth in awe of the sudden revelation. I'm just not there yet, and I seem to err on the side of subtlety.

I'll try to be less so in future endeavors.

A for effort, to say the very least. The 'Some pony is secretly gay and that's terrible as far as anyone is concerned' idea is disgusting, and sadly common. At least this one doesn't involve Braeburn walking off a cloud to his death.

I think I like Fancy and Fleur too much for this kind of thing to make sense, never mind be enjoyable. So it's just a personal matter.:fluttershysad:

3603047
I sympathize, there are plenty of stories that I won't even touch for similar reasons. Maybe you'd like my other Fancy/Fleur compilation story 'The Life and Times of Fancy and Fleur'. It's not very big at the moment, but the subject matter is much lighter.

My greatest issue with this story is that most of the pieces that build the reveal don't really come from the writing, but from the meta of fimfiction. From the beginning, with the way his marriage fails and the reasons he has to be married, this really looks like the kind of story where Fancy Pants would be gay. But there is nothing in the story itself that directly proves it, and you could have been equally justified to assume that, for instance, Blueblood has been photographed kissing a pony Fancy Pants loves.

In a way, it assumes that the reader will assume that the story is playing straight with its tropes - and without some nods from the fic in that direction it is kinda unreasonable to jump to that conclusion.

3603139
For most of the story, that was kinda what I wanted, for the Fancy is gay reveal to come out of left field. To let the reader assume their own reasons for his disquiet. I gather from other comments that it was too vague at the end. It's something that I'll have to work on.

Thanks for the input.

This was a really fascinating read. It definitely leaves me with a feeling of melancholy and, well, 'grey-day-ishness'. Not content, not bittersweet, just sad – Like a real [Tragedy] fic should. That said, I agree completely with 3596340's statement. He put it into words I couldn't quite find. It was then just as interesting to read your response to his words. Your perception of Fancypants in this story is really a different, original, and captivating take on him. And while I agree with both of your statements that it seems off for Fancypants to act the way he does, and that I want him to be a true paragon, this is doubtlessly a great what-if story. I won't say I enjoyed it, for that isn't really the point of [Tragedy], but I'll say that it was surely a good story, and I appreciate the goodness of it. Maybe I'll do a dramatic reading of this at some point.

And now, for a few notes:

That was what had forced them together, the social pressure.

I see this sort of thing a lot, and it always strikes me as reading weird. The sentence doesn't exactly change clauses, but the use of a comma just comes across as... awkward. It's not the intended use of commas. A dash or semicolon would work much cleaner.

It had simply never crossed her mind as a possibility, she wondered if any other pony ever noticed.

Same thing here. A comma just isn't the right punctuation to use.

There was not much as Fleur had no intentions of leaving the mansion and so felt no need to put a great deal of effort into her appearance.

You really need some commas here. Grammatically speaking, they are not necessary, but for the sake of being easily – or at least reasonably – readable, I'd put some commas in to break up the flow. Otherwise it all tumbles out in one sloppy bit of weird.

Seline persisted against tangles as Fleur sang, both wielding the only weapon available in fight their private battle.

You've got some sort of error here.

Good stuff, Mead. I shall have to check out some of your other stories, certainly. :pinkiehappy:

3658681

Maybe I'll do a dramatic reading of this at some point.

That, my smexily voiced alpaca loving friend, would be amazing.

I think what I learned most from this experience was to never insert my own intentions outside the story. Or rather, to let the words I write establish their own meaning to every readers own desires; authorial intent only matters to the degree in which it succeeds, and that it is completely possible to write a great story about one thing, while attempting to write about something totally different.

Either way, I'm glad you enjo-- like-- um... found it within the acceptable parameters of the genre in which it was cast:moustache:

-Honey Mead
p.s. Llamas are still better

3603181 I actually think that it being vague at the end is perfect. To me, the point of the story is what's going on in the minds of Fancy Pants and Fleur, with respect to the situation of their relationship and marriage and general state of happiness (or not) with their lives. What specifically that headline says doesn't hurt the real substance of the story by being absent, and it actually works better that way since the 'tell' to the reader should echo the way it would be in real life - it doesn't jump and smack you in the face. There's enough there to get the hint if you're looking, but it's subtle and you could miss it, either through inattention or by being in denial and not wanting to see.

4271732
Thanks. I think your right, and my problem is that I thought it was worthwhile to impose my personal ideas where the story left it vague. I need to remember that the author is dead and shut my dry-rotted lips before someone decides to go for a headshot...

Have a ribbon:
i.imgur.com/6MrWqNZ.png
As well as a thumb, fav, and feature recommendation.

Hi there.

I hope you don't mind, but I liked this fic so much I've adapted it into an audiobook over on YouTube:

9323433

This is amazing! Well and truly deserved! :pinkiehappy:

9323433
I don't have the words to express how amazing this is. Thank you so much.

This story evokes a sort of... I guess cold emptiness of a marriage that holds no passion, love, or even anger. It exists in limbo. Static. A very good representation of a loveless, lifeless marriage amongst aristocracy.

Login or register to comment