• Published 8th Apr 2013
  • 5,972 Views, 449 Comments

Dusk Dawns - AlphatheGriffin17



Book IV Now taking up lessons with the Princess of the Night, datingthe student of the Princess of the Sun, coping with some bad memories and being the Seventh Element, Dusk certainly has a lot on his plate. And that's just stuff to do with hi

  • ...
17
 449
 5,972

Putting Your Hoof Down

It was lunch time on another warm summer's day in Ponyville. For Dusk, that meant it was his break time. He would sometimes have lunch in the library with Twilight and Spike but after spending most of the time indoors, he would occasionally go out and see if any of the others wouldn't mind spending it with him instead. Since Twilight trusted him around the others more, she didn't mind this arrangement as long as he was back on time, which he always was.

As such, he had stopped by the Carousel Boutique and invited Rarity to come along to the market place with him. Since the mare was about to have lunch herself and because she felt she was in the need for 'civilised conversation', she agreed and now they were making their way towards the market place for a tasty morsel.

Along the way, they'd also managed to pick up Ray, who was on his way to do some grocery shopping. After a bit of traded banter between him and Rarity, he tagged along with them, only really serving to increase Dusk's good mood.

"Oh, it is gorgeous today!" expressed Rarity, relishing the sun on her skin. Dusk couldn't find any reason to disagree with this.

"Another glorious day in the best place to live in Equestria, with two of my best friends to share it with," remarked Dusk cheerfully. "What could be finer?"

"My thoughts exactly, darling." She smiled at him brightly. "You certainly seem to be in a dapper mood today."

"I suppose I'm still feeling the effects of Pinkie's song this morning," he shrugged. "Anything she does always serves to cheer up oneself."

"The whole town seemed to think so," put in Ray. "I mean, they literally threw confetti out of their windows while we carried her along. How many towns do that for one pony? This place is the best!"

"You just liked being the centre of attention," noted Rarity.

"Oh yeah, like you didn't. I could see you, smiling away."

"We all were, darling, it was a rather big part of the song."

"What I wanna know is where everypony was keeping all that, as well as where the music was coming from and how they knew the lyrics."

"Are you really asking about odd occurrences revolving around Pinkie Pie when you've lived in Ponyville this long?"

"Fair point," he conceded. "I'd think you have another reason to be cheerful, Dusk. Things went a lot better with your parents yesterday before they left for home."

"I think we were all thankful for that. When your mother and Fluttershy sang that duet together with your lullaby… I honestly think I shed a few tears hearing it."

"They did, yes," agreed Dusk, smiling fondly about it. "Well, my dad did try at the very least to get along a little better, but… well…"

Though Abacus had tried to relax and enjoy himself, he obviously was still awkward socially. He had very few friends back at Canterlot and interactions were often brief. His mother did try to help him along, as well as his friends, but he still needed some time to adjust from what he had been told and what he tried to do.

Likewise, things were still a bit tense between them. It had improved, there was no question of that. He actually listened to things Dusk had told him, about his adventures or his interests and really appeared to relish in hearing it. But Dusk couldn't quash the thought that it was too little too late and it wouldn't be quite enough to fix things between them.

Rarity seemed to sense his doubt. "I'm sure he'll get better at it. He just needs a little more time to adjust, that's all."

"Equestria wasn't made in a day, I suppose," said Dusk. "It's better than it was before anyway. I mean… he actually cares about me."

"Of course he does, darling," soothed Rarity. "It's just that some have different ways of showing it. Not that I agree with the way he did."

"I know, I didn't either." He glanced at her. "I'm sorry again for all the things he said."

"Hey, as long as it's all good now. Thanks to a certain somepony," added Ray, performing a confident gesture.

"I think you'll find that we all played our parts in making it happen," countered Rarity.

"Yeah, but I was the killing blow that bought him around."

"Aren't you one for modesty?"

"That's what Dusk is for. If you think I'm being too cocky, you can hit me with something too if you like."

"Believe me, I'm tempted," said Rarity, though she smiled faintly as they entered the marketplace. "It's a shame they couldn't have stayed for a little longer though. I'm sure you would have liked that, Dusk."

"I would have, but they still have their work and home in Canterlot, so I don't mind," he said. "They made a point of trying to visit more often though and I said that I would try too."

"Splendid. How long before they meet Twilight's parents then?"

"One step at a time, Rare."

She tittered a little from that. "Speaking of temporary lodgings, are you still staying at Little Lamplight, Ray?"

"Yep, still just a lodger," he affirmed. "Actually, it's funny that you should mention that today…"

He trailed off talking and Dusk could see why when he followed his gaze. Looking forlorn and defeated, Fluttershy was slowly backing away from one of the market stands, being sniggered at by two teenaged, absurdly dressed mares.

"Seriously, do you need your asparagus so badly? Get a life," one of them sneered.

"Oh, okay. There's no rush," she mumbled, walking past them.

Rarity voiced their unanimous concern. "Fluttershy, you mustn't let them treat you that way."

"Oh, it-it's really no big deal..." she stammered.

"Sorry for saying this, but I've seen supermarket chains advertising signs with deals less big than that," remarked Ray. "You've got a real problem Fluttershy."

"What problem?" Ray looked at Rarity and Dusk, who nodded and he teleported in front of her. "Oh, go right ahead Ray, you first…"

"And as the plumber said to the leaking drain pipe, there's your problem."

"You've got to stop being such a doormat," advised Rarity.

"A doormat?" asked the timid Pegasus.

"She means that you need to stop letting other ponies walk over you like that," explained Dusk. "Trust me, I know what that's like. You need to stand up for yourself more, little sis. Promise us?"

"Oh, okay. I promise, big brother." She turned back to see one last bunch of asparagus left. "Oh! Good!" But not before another pony paid for it. "Oh, that's okay, I don't mind."

"Watch and learn," declared Rarity. "Hold it right there, mister small and handsome."

They all watched as Rarity proceeded to use her unique brand of charm to get the stallion into giving the asparagus he bought to Fluttershy. While it did work, Dusk found himself questioning how she went about it and he wasn't the only one.

"That was just so manipulative and evil!" commented Ray, being both serious and joking. "That is not a good version of assertiveness, Fluttershy, don't listen to her."

"Well, it got the job done, didn't it?" She levitated it into her saddlebag, whilst bringing a list out. "Now, what else on here?"

The next thing was tomatoes, which Fluttershy paid the typical price of one bit for three. However, when the seller tried to make her pay two bits instead, Dusk saw his chance to demonstrate how he would assert himself to his little sister.

"Excuse me, miss, but may I inquire as to why exactly you've seen fit to increase the price of tomatoes?" asked Dusk politely.

The attendant frowned at him. "Whaddya mean, why?"

"I just feel that some justification is in order," he reasoned. "Have other stores that sell similar products also seen fit to increase their prices?"

"Not as far as I know…"

"Have you had trouble acquiring stocks of tomatoes recently?"

"What? No, of course not!"

"Then I really don't see why you increased the price or how it would benefit you, for that matter," he added, like an afterthought.

"Why wouldn't it benefit me? Bigger price means I make more profit."

"Perhaps, but ponies coming here who haven't been informed of the change of price would be expecting to pay one bit. When they discover they have to pay more, they might seek out somewhere else with a cheaper price. Some might stay, but they'd more likely go for a more sensible option rather than risk spending more money, meaning you'd lose customers and therefore profit."

"Hm, never thought about it like that," she murmured. "What do you think I should do?"

"I'd suggest keeping the price as it was last week, then put out some kind of notice that you intend to raise the price, so then your customers know what to expect," he suggested, pulling away the other bit. "Does that sound good to you?"

"Makes sense, I guess," she shrugged. "Thanks, kid. You might have just saved me a bit of trouble."

"My pleasure, miss. Good day to you," he wished, handing Fluttershy back her bit. "You see? Assertion can be easy, if one has the right know-how."

"I guess you're right!" she replied brightly.

"So, Fluttershy, do you feel like giving it a try?" asked Rarity.

"Um... okay," she said in a tone that didn't inspire much confidence. Dusk heard her say something about needing a cherry and she sped towards the cherry stand, where there was one left.

"Hey, I have a question," whispered Ray. "What kind of fruit stand has exactly one cherry up for sale?"

Dusk shrugged. "Maybe he sold out."

"I know, but one cherry? Really?"

Neither he, nor Rarity decided to continue this, watching while the seller tried to make Fluttershy pay ten bits for the cherry. She glanced back nervously, Rarity motioning encouragingly. She tried acting flirtatiously (Ray's cheeks turned visbly red and he seemed to be trying very hard to restrain himself) but the seller was unmoved.

Dusk offered his silent encouragement, so she tried his method of reasoned argument. However, the stallion wasn't caught off-guard by this tactic and managed to manipulate Fluttershy to a number of bits she didn't even have. In the end, another pony came by and bought it instead, leaving Fluttershy empty-hooved where cherries were concerned.

Dusk moved forward to comfort her. "I'm sorry for how that turned out, little sister."

"It's okay, Dusk. I can always make the recipe without the cherry." She sighed sadly. "I guess I'm not cut out to be assertive…"

Remembering something that had been posted through his door, he pulled out a pamphlet for some kind of confidence building workshop and gave it to her.

"Here, maybe you should go along to this," he suggested. "It might help you out a bit."

"I'll have a look at it…" She smiled slightly. "Thanks for looking out for me."

"It's what I do." He bade her goodbye and proceeded to purchase something worth eating.

Once he had filled his stomach, he parted company with Ray and Rarity and returned to his workplace satisfied and ready to return to work.

"Hey Dusk!" called Twilight from another room. "You have a nice lunch?"

"Of course," he replied. "Are we going to be getting on with that new spell Luna showed me?"

"Sounds good to me," she agreed, poking her head through. "Low level mental manipulation, implanting a suggestion into the minds of others with your magic to make them follow it. That should prove useful."

"If I can master it," he reminded her. Another one of the abilities unlocked from his darker side. Like what he had used to control Ponyville, only a lot less potent now he was gone.

Though the effects still remained… he grimaced a little from the thought of that, but at least he might put it to better use now.

"It seemed to work well this morning when you used it to put Spike to sleep."

"Yes, but I'm fairly sure he would have done that anyway."

"You might have a point there." She returned back through. "We're just through here, when you're ready."

Dusk nodded and placed back a few books that Twilight had been using for study. Having just given Fluttershy that pamphlet and now returning to his usual work, it made him feel content with his lot in life and what he did for his friends. Helping them now, like he used to… before…

He clutched his head a bit when he re-entered the library, trying to stem the flow of memories that threatened to take over. No, it was Doom that did it, not me. He's the one to blame, he's the one that hurt them, not me, he repeated mentally like a mantra. Just a memory now…

A soothing, warming presence flooded into his mind, silencing those memories and filling him with an emotion like a fire, coursing through his veins. Opening his eyes, he saw Twilight with her horn pressed against his, a gentle smile on her lips, which gently brushed against his.

"I'm here with you and I always will be," she whispered. "Never forget that."

"I know…" He managed to return it. "I never will."


Her wings fluttering nervously and her nerves mounting with every inch she travelled, Fluttershy made her way towards the hedge maze, specifically to its centre, to attend the seminar detailed in the pamphlet.

She had been silently thankful to Dusk for giving her this. When she'd first read it, she thought it sounded perfect for her. It was just she needed to become more assertive, like her friends had tried to show her. No more being a doormat for her, she was going to stand up for herself after she'd been to this.

Now that she was actually going there though, she was starting to have her doubts. Pamphlets like this usually promised a great deal, but they would often turn out to be deceiving those who read them and letting them down when they actually went to them. If her closest friends hadn't been able to teach her to be assertive, how could this Iron Will manage?

She made her way past town hall, wondering if this really such a good idea and if it wasn't too late for her to go home and try some other. She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she didn't see somepony exiting town hall and bumped right into them while they walked down the stairs.

"Oh dear… oh my goodness, I'm so…" She trailed off when she saw who it was and felt even more foolish. "Ray! Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, I didn't see where I was going and I didn't see you and-"

"Hey, hey, don't worry about it," he assured. "I was kinda in my own little world too."

Still feeling like a klutz, the heat rising to her cheeks, she noticed him stoop down to pick up a folded piece of paper he'd dropped as a result of their collision.

"What is that?" she asked, noticing how carefully he handled it. "It didn't get any mud or water on it, did it? Wait… why were you in town hall? If you don't mind my asking, that is…"

Ray suddenly started to shift uncomfortably. "Um… well uh... funny thing is… nothing, it's a nothing, I don't know what you're talking about. It's not uh… it's not even mine."

"Oh dear, it's not anything bad, is it?" she asked worriedly. "Never mind, I'm sorry I asked. None of my business, really…"

"No, no, it's fine… just…" He laughed a little and shrugged. "I wanted to keep this a surprise for you and the others, but whatever. You caught me red-hoofed."

He levitated it before her and let it unfold. Luckily, the fall hadn't damaged it for this looked to be an important document. She saw the official seal of the Mayor's office on the corner of the paper, saw Ray's signature below writing about right of ownership and responsibility of the householder. Her confusion started to lift when she realised what this was and she felt a smile start to grow.

"Oh my goodness, is this a deed to a house?" she asked, noting the mounting excitement she took on. "In Ponyville?"

"You know it," he affirmed. "I've just been made an official resident of Ponyville. It took a couple of months, obviously, but Mayor Mare's just given me the deed to my own little piece of Ponyville. No more travelling for this stallion."

"That's wonderful news!" she squealed quietly. "I'm so happy for you, I really am. Oh, I hope you wouldn't mind me coming to see your new home. I'm sure it's lovely."

Ray just smiled and shrugged, though she could see he was just as happy as she was. She didn't know why, but she felt a certain amount of relief at confirmation that he was actually staying here, that he wouldn't be leaving.

"So, where are you off to that doesn't require you to look where you're going?" he asked lightly.

The heat returned swiftly to her cheeks. "Oh no, I really am sorry about that, I didn't mean to… I mean, I wasn't…."

"Relax, I was just joking," he said quickly. "Forget about it, it was just an accident. There are worse ponies to bump into after all."

"Right… okay…" Her face grew even warmer, though not for any unpleasant reason this time. "I'm just going to an assertiveness seminar from this pamphlet Dusk gave to me. I thought it might help me, you know, assertive."

"Hm… never heard of an assertiveness seminar, but if that's what it is, I think it should be good for you too," he said supportively.

"Thanks… but um…" She wasn't going to bother him with her problems, but he leaned forward expectantly, so she continued. "I'm not all that sure about it. I mean, it might help but… I'm not sure if it will and I wonder if it's such a good idea."

"Well, you never know unless you try." He smiled brightly at her. "How about I go along with you? Having a friend there might help ease some of those worries, especially if it's me."

"Oh thank you, I'd love for you to come along," she said gratefully, feeling a little easier about it already. "You sure you don't mind? You don't need to worry about being assertive."

"I'll be going with a friend, won't I?" He gestured encouragingly. "Come on, we don't wanna be late."

Nodding and flying a little easier now, Fluttershy led him to the hedge maze where it would take place.

A stage had been set up in the centre of the maze, the entrances being attended by tough-looking goats with microphones on their heads. A lot of ponies had turned out to see this, a huge crowd gathered in front of the stage, waiting eagerly for the incredible Iron Will to begin.

Fluttershy was tempted to try and go to the front so she could see better, but a quick gesture from Ray led to her following him to a spot at the back. This wasn't the best spot she could have hoped for, but she had a feeling she would have been knocked back here anyway if she'd tried to go to the front. There were a lot of ponies here.

Having Ray here though made it better. His own confident demeanour and easy attitude made her feel a little better about being all the way back here. Good to know that she wasn't alone in this and that he was the one with her. She felt her cheeks grow a little warm at the thought of it.

Suddenly, music started pumping through large speakers either side of the stage. Smoke poured across it, obscuring a massive figure who rose from somewhere underneath. A goat ran up and removed his cape, just as a spotlight shone on him, revealing an iron blue minotaur, with huge, bulging muscles, a ring through his nose and a black tie hung around his neck.

He flexed his impressive muscles and punched the air as the crowd cheered and fireworks went off. The grin he gave to them was enough to show them how much confidence he had and nopony was willing to dispute it. Even from back here, Fluttershy couldn't help but feel intimidated by the mere sight of him.

"Welcome, friends! My name is Iron Will, and today is the first day of your new life!" he roared in a deep voice.

"Pretty flashy stuff," muttered Ray to her and she giggled a little.

"I wanna hear you stomp if you're tired of being a pushover!" The crowd responded with much enthusiasm. "Stomp if you're tired of being a doormat!" Another equally loud response. "Stomp if you wanna pay nothing for this seminar!" They began to stomp, but muttered among themselves and laughed nervously, assuming he was joking… until he snorted and silenced them.

"That's no joke, friends. Iron Will is so confident that you will be one hundred percent satisfied with Iron Will's assertiveness techniques, that if you are not one hundred percent satisfied, you. Pay. Nothing!"

"Iron Will certainly likes to refer to himself in the third person," murmured Ray.

"He's not the only one," replied Fluttershy, remembering a similar individual who did the same.

Unlike with Trixie, however, she had no doubts concerning Iron Will, smiling brightly when he gave his first lesson: don't be shy, look 'em in the eye. That was until he asked for a volunteer from the audience. Every hoof in the crowd rose except Fluttershy's, who instinctively cowered at the back. The goats fanned out among the ponies, searching for somepony and she prayed it wouldn't be her…

Then, a goat bleated somewhere close and Iron Will's voice followed soon after.

"You, in the back row!" The whole crowd parted to reveal her. She hated how they were all staring at her.

"Who, me?" she dared to ask.

"Yes, you! Iron Will wants you onstage!"

She gulped nervously. "Uh, well..."

"Now!"

"It'll be fine," whispered Ray. "Go on, just try."

"Okay…" she replied, trying to quell her nervousness and approaching gingerly.

From there, Iron Will proceeded to demonstrate his techniques, having one of his goats block her path to the stage. She tried to do it the way she would, but Iron Will gave her two other lessons: when somepony tries to block, show them that you rock and don't apologize when you can criticise. He had her push the goat aside and chastise him for blocking her path.

She didn't think she'd done so well, but then Iron Will confinedlty said that his technique had worked on her and she actually started to feel proud of herself while the crowd cheered. Her doubts started to lift and she didn't feel like such a pushover anymore. Maybe the techniques could work for her.

She was still talking to Ray excitedly about it when they left at the end, reading through another pamphlet and feeling quite giddy about the whole thing. Only she noticed after a while of her rattling off more of Iron Will's lessons that he wasn't replying to her. He was remaining silent, his expression pensive, like he was thinking about something.

"Is something wrong, Ray?" she asked. "Don't you think this'll work?"

"Oh no, I hope it does," he said quickly. "I just don't really agree with everything Iron Will said. I can see the point of most parts, but others… I don't know, it gives me a bad feeling."

"Oh… right…" She started to give rise to her doubts again, if that was what he thought.

"Still," he went on, "you're obviously happy about it and I can't help but be happy for you too. I hope this works out for you."

"I do too." Trying out a little bit of it now, she suppressed her fears and hugged him gently. "Thanks for coming along with me, Ray. You really helped."

"Heh… no problem…" She felt him shrug and return it hesitantly. "It was nothing…"

Feeling a little embarrassed now, she pulled back, noting a blush on his cheeks that matched her own. Still, at least she'd tried.

"Well… see you around, Flutters," he wished, bringing back his confident persona. "Good luck with the assertiveness."

"Thank you, see you later," she returned, watching him go. Soon enough, she'd be just as confident as the rest of her friends… as him.

Feeling some amount of pride from that, she flew off back home to prepare for the next day. They would soon see a brand new Fluttershy.


"So, Pinkie, how's progress going with that Cranky donkey you mentioned?" asked Dusk, standing next to the counter at Sugarcube Corner.

"I'm getting there," she reported brightly. "The spa treatment and the toupee really helped clinch it. Thanks again, Rarity."

"Not at all, darling," she replied, approaching the counter. "Anything for one of my friends, especially if it's for this kind of endeavour. It worked, I take it?"

"Mostly, but he's still not smiling," she said. "He's warming to me, but he still needs some work. I'm gonna go around later today and work at it more."

"Hopefully not before we're done here!" called Ray from the kitchen. "Things are busy enough today without the Cakes here, I don't need you vanishing too."

"Don't worry, I'll be here till we close up!" she called back. "Thanks again for the help, Ray. I didn't even know you could cook."

"Of course I can. Sort of. Kind of. Well, really-" Some loud splatter was heard in the kitchen. "Hold on, gotta get this! Not again…"

"Isn't great that he's actually got a house now?" asked Pinkie. "Now, we'll be friends forever!"

"I'm happy to hear it too," agreed Dusk, equally happy that the stallion had made this choice. "I was wondering when he'd move in here."

"Yes, the idea of having him around permanently just thrills me," said Rarity drolly, though there was an evident smile in her voice.

"I know, right?" grinned Pinkie. "Things are gonna be great!"

Ray's voice sounded from the kitchen again. "AGH! I think it's alive! Get off me!"

"Right…" Dusk raised an eyebrow before resuming the conversation. "Well, best of luck to you regarding Cranky. Do you need any help?"

"Don't you sweat it, Dusky, I got this one," she assured. "Besides, you already did your part with Ray."

Dusk smiled fondly at how far Ray had come ever since Pinkie had first dragged him to the stallion when he'd arrived in Ponyville. He hadn't been too sure at first, but after all he'd done, he would have been sad to see him go, if he'd decided to. Though she called him Mr Psychic Pony, he couldn't help but wonder if Pinkie had known somehow.

But that was impossible. Pinkie could be random, but that was quite far-fetched, even for her. Wasn't it?

His thoughts were cut off by the sound of familiar voice taking a tone he'd never thought he'd hear from her.

"Now go to the back of the line where you belong!" Fluttershy growled. The pony in question did so, as did the whole line, making room for her to approach.

Dusk was absolutely flabbergasted. He'd heard from Ray that she'd gone to the workshop, but he was still shocked to see the results. She was actually standing up for herself and he felt a sense of pride well up for her. He wasn't the only one.

"Heyyy, look at you!" noted Pinkie.

"Oh, your attitude is so feisty, it's fabulous," added Rarity, as Fluttershy flew up to them.

"Looks like that monster's workshop really paid off!"

"Iron Will's not a monster, he's a minotaur, and a true inspiration," said Fluttershy confidently. "His techniques really work. And I have you to thank for giving me that pamphlet to begin with, Dusk."

He tipped his hat in response. "I'm glad I was able to assist, equally proud to see the result."

Ray, covered in dough, popped his head out, levitating a pipe. After a second, he realised what Dusk had actually said, nodded approvingly, grinned at Fluttershy and headed back in.

"Well," continued Rarity, like nothing happened, "they've certainly made a difference in the way you carry yourself. You truly are a whole new Fluttershy."

"Yes I am. And new Fluttershy feels pretty stoked about new Fluttershy," she stated confidently.

"Well, old Pinkie Pie feels really proud of new Fluttershy. Proud as pink punch." She popped down behind the counter and bought up a bowl of it. "Want some?"

"'You laugh at me, I wrath at you!'" She picked up the bowl and dropped it on her head, departing casually. "Bye everypony."

In the wake of this, Dusk stared after her in shock, along with the others. They followed her out, where they saw her push out a stallion from the taxi she called and ride off home.

"Old Pinkie Pie's not so sure New Fluttershy is such a good idea after all..."

"Old Rarity agrees..."

"Old Ray is wondering why we're still referring to ourselves in the third person," noted the stallion. "Did you all go to the workshop too?"

"I'm glad I didn't," said Dusk. "What's happened to her? There's being assertive, then there's emulating Megatron."

Rarity looked around questioningly. "Who?"

"Never mind, just a book. My point is that I think Fluttershy is taking this a bit too far." He started to follow the direction of the taxi. "I'm going to go talk to her."

"I'll go with you," said Rarity. "I feel some degree of responsibility for this too."

"Thanks. Come on, let's go." They set off quick pace after her, leaving Ray and Pinkie to handle the shop. He would have asked them, but they'd be too busy.

He didn't know what it was Iron Will had done to his little sister, but he just hoped he could get her back.


Attack the day. That was what Iron Will had taught her. Nopony was going to take it away from her. She wouldn't let them, not new Fluttershy. New Fluttershy didn't take anything from anypony anymore. They'd see it her way or they'd get out of it.

Never before had she felt such power, such authority. She made sure to let the mailpony know that he'd delivered the wrong mail again and that he wouldn't be doing it again. She showed that stupid tourist what would happen if he made her lose. Maybe old Fluttershy would have just let them walk all over her, but not new Fluttershy. This was her life and nopony was going to tell her otherwise.

But then, certain someponies tried.

"Fluttershy! What are you doing?!" asked Rarity in horror, as she approached with Dusk. "That's no way to behave!"

"Didn't you see what he did to new Fluttershy?" she demanded. "And he thought new Fluttershy was a pushover!"

"No sweetie, he didn't," argued Rarity. "We saw the whole thing. We think that you've taken your assertiveness training a little too far."

How could this happen? Of all the ponies who thought that doormat Fluttershy was better, it was her friends who were telling her this? Not if she had anything to say about it!

"What?! You just want new Fluttershy to be a doormat like old Fluttershy! But old Fluttershy is gone!" she shouted firmly.

"The last time I saw you like this, it was because an malevolent spirit had made you like this." Dusk looked up sadly at her. "I only wish that was the case this time."

"What happened to nice Fluttershy?" asked Rarity. "We want that Fluttershy back."

"No, you want wimp Fluttershy. You want pushover Fluttershy. You want do-anything-to-her-and-she-won't-complain Fluttershy!" she raged, showing them she wasn't going down that easily.

"Fluttershy, please, listen to us," begged Dusk. "We're trying to reason with you. Do you even hear what you're saying?"

"I should have expected that from you," she snarled. "Just because you're a little wimp who's too scared to fight to stand up for himself doesn't mean I am!"

She felt some degree of satisfaction when Dusk was rendered speechless by her retort. He stared at her in disbelief, as he should be.

"Now, stop right there! Let's not let things descend into petty insults!" defended Rarity.

"Why not? I thought 'petty' was what you're all about, Rarity. With your 'petty' concerns about fashion," she retorted.

Rarity gasped in shock, tears starting to brim over her eyes while Fluttershy floated on high, staring down upon her. She turned to bury her face in her leg, while Dusk stood between them.

"Fluttershy, stop right now before you say something you'll regret," he warned.

"Oh, you'd know all about regrets, wouldn't you, Dusk?" she sneered. "You still waking up every night, crying because of your mean brother and waiting for Twilight or Luna to sing you a lullaby back to sleep? And you call yourself a stallion."

Now, it was Dusk's turn to start up the waterworks, but she wasn't finished there. She wanted to make sure the message sank in.

"I can't believe that the two most frivolous and pathetic ponies in Ponyville are trying to tell new Fluttershy how to live her life when they are either throwing their own lives away on pointless pursuits that nopony else gives a flying feather about or they start crying like a baby just because they've just had a bad dream and they're still four years old!"

They stared up at her, their lips quivering from the truth that was now ringing in their ears. Serve them right for trying to tell her what to do.

"I can see then… this how you choose to be from now on," sobbed Dusk.

"I cannot believe what that monster Iron Will has done to you!" wailed Rarity, the two of them galloping off down the road, soaking the ground with their tears.

"Iron Will's not a monster, he's a minotaur!" she roared after them.

She stood there, growling under her breath and simmering in the lingering embers of her wrath, willing to dare anypony else to try anything against her.

"That was quite a display," came Ray's voice from behind her.

"Oh, you're here too, are you?" She rounded, ready to take him on. "You here to try and get wimpy Fluttershy back too? You think you can tell new Fluttershy what to do? Well, I've got news for you, mister, I-!"

"No, I'm not." It wasn't just that he interrupted her, but how he spoke that stopped her. It wasn't his usual, gentle tone he used, but a negative and forceful one. One that countered hers.

"Oh yeah… well… what do you think you're…?" She lost her nerve, the fire of her rage starting to ebb.

He pressed on, in that cold, even tone. "You see now, what you've done? To your friends, no less? Iron Will, might not be a monster, but I'd say its fairly evident who is. I hope you're proud of yourself, new Fluttershy."

Before she could respond, or even think of one, he strode off in the same direction they did, without another word and without looking back. Though he was gone, his words echoed in her head and she looked down at the puddle beneath her.

"He's right…" she realised. "I'm the monster…"

Feeling a horrible sense of regret and guilt, she trudged back to her cottage, knowing she wouldn't be able to assert herself without hurting others. That meant there was only one thing she could do. Like any monster, she had to make herself a cage and lock herself in it, to make sure she wouldn't hurt anypony again.

It was all she could do.


Rarity had managed to calm down a lot sooner. Over her life, she'd had many things to cry about and had perfected a few techniques that ensured that she could get control of herself and stop after a while. It would still hurt, but she'd be able to deal with the emotional baggage with maturity and distinction.

The same, however, couldn't be said for her male companion. She already knew that Dusk was a lot more sensitive than stallions tended to be and Fluttershy's words had cut him deep. It wasn't just because of what they referred to, but also because he considered her like his sister and he was the one who looked out for her. To have heard such things come out of her… she could only imagine how much worse this was for him.

She stood with Spike in the living room of the library, watching while Twilight soothed Dusk gently, her foreleg wrapped around him and her horn glowing while she calmed not only his body, but his mind as well. How dedicated those two were to each other… it still surprised her, really.

"So, Fluttershy really said all of those things?" asked Spike.

"For the sixth time, yes, Spike," she replied shortly.

"I know, I'm sorry I keep asking but… I still can't believe it. I mean, Fluttershy saying all of that to you both? It's hard to picture."

"I know, I would have said much the same." She shook her head. "It was horrible, hearing all of that and knowing it was coming from her."

"Yeah. I mean, she taunted him about Doom, most of that's still pretty sensitive," added Spike. "Wow, Fluttershy really went too far."

"Even so, I know who is truly to blame here," said Rarity firmly. "That Iron Will and his lessons, they did this to her. Love the sinner, hate the sin, Spike."

"If you say so." He looked up at her with concern. "You sure you're okay? You need me to get you anything?"

"I'm fine, but thank you anyway, Spike." She smiled at him. "I appreciate your concern."

"Yeah, well, I don't like seeing you upset," he mumbled, blushing slightly.

Rarity tittered, becoming aware that Dusk's sobs had ebbed away and he was now rising from the couch, Twilight kissing his cheek.

"There, there, it's okay," she murmured. "You feel better now?"

"I do, yes…" He sniffed and wiped away a tear. "Thanks, Twilight. I know, I must have seemed pathetic…"

"Dusk, you are not pathetic," she said firmly. "You are the sweetest, best stallion I know and I won't have you thinking like that. You hear me?"

"Yes, Miss Sparkle." He hiccupped a little as they hugged. "I don't know how I ever thought I could handle this on my own…"

"Because you're an idiot, but you're my idiot," she said fondly. "Now, go on, you have something to do, I think."

"Indeed." Composing himself, he turned back to Rarity. "We're agreed, Fluttershy isn't at fault here?"

"In the sense that she was advised poorly, yes. I'm sure she feels just as sorry about what happened as we do," she said assuredly.

"I hope so…" He faltered a little before he recovered. "Let's get going then."

The skies above had darkened by the time they reached Fluttershy's cottage. The place was normally so full of animal life, but now it looked almost abandoned. All the doors and windows were boarded up, as were the waterways for the little river and the entrances to bird houses. It looked as if Fluttershy knew as well as they did what she had done and attempted to simply hide away.

They glanced at each other, not sure if she was actually in or not. Knowing there was only one way to find out, Rarity knocked on the door.

"Fluttershy, are you in there?" she called.

"It's Rarity and Dusk," added her friend. "We want to talk to you."

A muffled, shame-filled voice came from within. "Go away! Go away before nasty Fluttershy strikes again!"

"Oh, sweetie, we all said things that we regret," said Rarity kindly.

"We just want to give you a chance to explain yourself," put in Dusk. "We still want you back.

"I see what you're trying to do, but I'm the only one to blame," she answered. "But don't worry, I'm never coming out of my house again. Everypony will be a lot safer with me and my mean mouth locked away."

"Sweetie, Dusk doesn't blame you, nor do I. You just received some bad advice from that Iron Will character," she said bitterly.

"Exactly. You received good lessons, but from the wrong teacher," added Dusk. "Rarity and I still manage to stand up for ourselves without resorting to the methods he's taught you."

"Yes! You can stand up for yourself without being unpleasant about it," encouraged Rarity.

"I… I'm not sure I can, I'm too far gone." It broke Rarity's heart to hear her talk like that. "Whenever I try to assert myself I become a monster."

"Oh, sweetie, you're not a monster."

"Speaking of monsters…" Dusk pointed to a certain minotaur, being carried by a goat on its back and stepping off as he arrived.

"Iron Will's my name, training ponies is my game," he greeted, staring off somewhere with a thumbs up.

They looked in the same direction, saw nothing and returned their attention to him.

"What a darling little catchphrase," commented Rarity, trying to be pleasant.

Iron seemed to take it as criticism. "Your friend Fluttershy loved Iron Will's catchphrases. Word on the street is that she doesn't take no guff from nopony! So, Iron Will is here to collect Iron Will's fee."

"We can't let him see Fluttershy with the state she's in," whispered Dusk.

Realising what he meant, Rarity ran up, trying to keep pace with his powerful strides.

"I'm sure a big, brave, powerful and rich monster- I mean, minotaur, like you, doesn't need that money right away. You can afford to come back later," she attempted with flattery.

"Are you kidding? Fluttershy is overdue as it is. Iron Will collects now," he answered firmly, picking her up and dumping her in a bush.

"Do something!" she urged Dusk. He nodded and hurried as Iron reached the door.

"Listen, Mr Will," he started politely, "as you can see here, there is little to no indication that Fluttershy is even at home presently. Why don't you give us some time to look for her and come back later?"

He seemed to consider this. "Iron Will does have some grocery shopping to do. Iron Will will come back this afternoon."

"Only half a day?" questioned Dusk. "Surely, a full day would be a more reasonable deal."

"Iron Will will wait a half day and no longer."

"Look, Ponyville is a big place, Mr Will," pressed Dusk. "You can hardly expect us to search the whole town for Fluttershy in such a short amount of time. If you give us the rest of the day to find her and come back tomorrow, I can guarantee we'll have her, rather than have you come back here only to see we haven't found her. It would be a waste of your time, which I'm sure you could make more productive."

"Hm, you make a good point," agreed Iron. "Very well. Iron Will will return tomorrow on that promise."

He started to leave. It had worked! Rarity was at first relieved, until they all heard what was distinctly Fluttershy's voice on the other side of the boarded up door.

The Minotaur turned back around. "Huh, sounds like the search won't be necessary. Iron Will collects now."

"Uh, hold on now, you agreed to return tomorrow," reminded Dusk nervously, blocking his way.

"'When somepony tries to block, show them that you rock!'" With barely any effort, he picked up Dusk and tossed him aside, sending him falling towards the mud.

He stopped by making a white colour cloud and levitating back to the ground. His horn started to glow, but Rarity shook her head warningly. There wasn't anything they could do without provoking him.


Fluttershy had been staying in her house all day, tied to the chair after boarding everything up and tying herself to the chair, with Angel fixing the knot for her. She hadn't expected to hear the voices of any of her friends again, let alone Dusk and Rarity. She would just stay here, until she rotted away into nothing. It was what she deserved…

But then, even after all the horrible things she'd said, they'd come to find her. Even Dusk, whom she felt the worst about. How could she not, after what she'd said to him about what had happened with Doom, what was still happening? The pony she considered like a brother and she'd hurt him in such a horrible way… what a monster she was…

They'd tried to tell her she could still assert herself without being mean, but she'd already shown that wasn't possible. Every time she'd asserted herself, she'd turned into a monster. Iron Will had certainly taught her well. She just didn't think it was possible, like how her friends couldn't possibly forgive her…

"Looking a little tied up, I see?" For the second time today, she heard his voice and jumped a little.

"Ray?" She couldn't turn around this time, so he walked around to face her. "How… how did you get in here?"

"I teleported in, but that's not important," he said decisively. "We need to have a talk."

"About what?" She hung her head in shame. "You said it yourself, I'm a monster. You don't talk with monsters…"

"I don't see any monsters here." His voice was gentle again. "Look, you made a mistake with your whole assertion thing. That's okay, everypony makes mistakes, but you have to learn from them and move on. You can't live your life like this."

"But… but what about my friends?" she stammered pathetically. "All the horrible things I said to them… how can I possibly go back from that?"

"They came back, didn't they? They're outside, right now, waiting for you to join them," he encouraged. "They don't blame you for what happened."

"They should though," she sighed. "I can't be assertive if it means hurting others. I'd rather be a doormat than a monster…"

Ray wasn't giving up though. "You heard them though. There are ways to assert yourself without resorting to cruelty and pain. Dusk and Rarity have their ways, but you need to find yours."

"How can you be sure?" she asked doubtfully.

"I know you can." He placed his hooves on her shoulders. "Come on. If you can stand up to Discord's pet monsters and a freaking dragon from what I've heard, you can stand up for yourself against anypony. You can do it. You already have."

Fluttershy felt his words start to sink in. He was right. She had been standing up for herself, long before Iron Will had taught her his lessons. Even though she'd been terrified beyond belief, she'd managed to stand her ground against a huge, terrifying dragon and a whole horde of Paraserpents on her own. That had been her and she hadn't needed catchphrases to do it.

They'd believed in her before, Ray believed in her now. But did she? Could she really do it?

"You… you mean that?" she whispered.

"Every word, Flutters," he nodded. "Now, how about proving me right?"

She jumped when she heard the sounds of wood ripping from her door. Iron Will was breaking in. Before panic could mount, she felt her hooves being untied and Ray stood back after doing so. He gestured to the door, as if to say…

Now's your chance.

Yes. This was her chance. He believed she could do it and what was more, she had good reason to. Time to try it out.

"Your payment is overdue, Fluttershy!" roared Iron Will, politely knocking on the door.

She answered it, looking right up at him without flinching. Surprisingly, she felt very little fear, despite how much bigger he was than her.

"You were nothing but a doormat, and Iron Will turned you into a lean, mean, assertive… machine?" He peered past her and saw Ray, looking from one to the other and noticing the ropes that had bound her. "Um… what were you two doing in there?"

Ray looked at the ropes, blushed and threw them away. "It's not what it looks like!"

"Right…" Iron cleared his throat and returned to the subject. "Now, pay Iron Will what you owe Iron Will!"

Simply, yet firmly, she replied, "Um, no."

Stunned silence followed her words, broken by the bleating of one of Iron's goats.

"What did you say?" snarled the Minotaur.

"No," she repeated.

He growled and started to bench-press the fence, roaring in her face. "Ohhh, I'd hate to be you right now, because Iron Will is gonna to rain down a world of hurt unless Iron Will gets his money pronto!"

She held her ground though. "As I recall, during your workshop you promised one hundred percent satisfaction guaranteed, or you pay nothing. Well, I'm not satisfied."

"What do you mean you're not satisfied?!" demanded Iron. "Everypony has always been satisfied!"

"Well I guess I'm the first then," she countered. "But since I'm not satisfied, I refuse to pay. It's as simple as that."

Iron, Dusk and Rarity stared at her in amazement. The minotaur turned to his goats, speaking briefly and privately. When he turned back, he was fiddling with his fingers.

"Ohh, are you... sure you're not just a little bit satisfied?" he asked. "B-because maybe... we could, cut a deal, I-I mean, we're both reasonable creatures, aren't we?"

"I'm sorry, but no means no," she said firmly.

"No means no, huh? Nopony's ever said that to me before," he said in wonder, stepping onto a goat's back and being carried off. "Huh... I gotta remember that one. That's a good catchphrase for my next workshop."

Fluttershy barely had time to register her pride before Rarity and Dusk ran up and embraced her.

"Well done, Fluttershy!" cheered Dusk. "You stood up to him, without resorting to violence or shouting!"

"In fact, you didn't change at all! You were the same old Fluttershy that we've always loved!" added Rarity proudly.

"Don't worry, old Fluttershy's back for good," she assured. "I'm sorry I took the whole assertiveness thing too far. Friends?"

Their eyes started to well up again, only this time they were tears of joy.

"Friends," they agreed, hugging her once more.

She just let them until Ray stepped out of her house, smiling approvingly. Normally, she would have just smiled back and shied away, but this time, she felt something else was in order here.

"Thank you, Ray." Drawing up all her courage, she flew up and shyly planted a small kiss on his cheek.

Ray's face turned completely red, rambling and stuttering in complete nonsense before lapsing into complete silence. Fluttershy's cheeks went a little red too, while she giggled along with the others at his state.


Hard Edge tapped his hoof impatiently, leaning against the crumbling stone wall while his 'employer' was hard at work, doing whatever-it-was-he-was-doing with the weird machine that he had set up in the centre of the castle.

He had a few good reasons to be impatient. Namely, he had never been the most patient of individuals. Either get it done slow or get it done now, that was how he viewed it. It had apparently taken months for the guy to actually set this thing up and get it working, so he was eager to see if it worked. He'd already told Edge of its purpose and he wanted to see that purpose fulfilled.

There was one other thing too. Dusk. The pony who'd made him look weak, who had taken his rightful place of glory, who had even cost him his post as a guard of Canterlot. The whole Blackhole Doom thing had been good for a start, but if what this guy had told him was true, the purpose his machine was made for would make that look like a teddy bear's picnic. And boy was he looking forward to more.

If this thing actually worked, of course.

"That thing ready yet?" he asked impatiently. "I feel like I've been standing here as long as this dump has."

"Yes, yes, it's almost ready for activation," he muttered. "The alignment should be correct, with necessary energy output from the readings I've been gathering… should be enough to break through and bring him in…"

He was talking more to himself again than to Edge. He had a tendency to do that and it could be a little annoying.

"Will that actually work though?"

"It should do, yes… should do. This is the place where it happened, all those years ago… so much suffering and anguish… yes, it will…" He was silent for a moment, that strange gleam of joy returning to his eye before looking up at him. "I understand that Princess Luna is endeavouring to discover the perpetrator behind the, uh, incident of Doom?"

"Yeah, she's put out a search," he confirmed. "Already tracked down the brothers and it won't be long until she catches them and get something outta them."

He nodded slowly. "At which time, I assume you'll be ready to play your part?"

"Sure am," he grunted. "They're gonna regret what they did to me, all of 'em. This is gonna be good."

"Yes, no doubt," he murmured, returning to his work. "Gem focus array set, energy output at maximum, target locked… we're ready."

Edge felt his excitement mount. "Fire it up then."

"Believe me," he muttered, placing a hoof on the switch, "I intend to."

He slammed his hoof down. The larger part of the machine started to hum with life, lights flashing and instruments beeping. The cables that ran to the large, metal circle at the centre of the room started to buzz and crackle with energy, red, black and gold dancing across the floor. The circle started to flare to life, the same energy gathering towards the middle of it and gathering with increasing intensity and frequency.

Hard Edge flinched a little from the little sparks, his smaller compatriot watching with mounting excitement, that glow in his eyes now filling him fully. As tough and strong as Edge knew he was, that part of him always gave him the chills and this was no different. It was like he knew what was coming with the completion of this test, horrors and terror that would follow… and he was finding pleasure in it.

He turned his attention back to the machine. The energy was really building now, whirring and sparking violently. Alarms started to go off on the machine, some of the controls sparking and bursting with the sheer amount of power it was putting out. A light had started to grow inside the circle, a sphere of pure energy growing steadily bigger and bigger with every passing second. Wow, this thing was loud!

Edge didn't know if it was supposed to be doing this, but he had a sudden thought.

"This thing looks like it's gonna blow!" he shouted over the din. "Shouldn't you do something?"

"No, no!" he shouted back. "It is working! It's working! He's coming!"

The seconds passed, the sphere growing in further size, more of the machine sparking and sputtering with the strain. The humming growing louder and louder, almost shaking the floor beneath them. Parts of the ruin started to crumble a little, specks of dust and debris falling down around them.

"It is gonna blow!" shouted Edge. "How do you shut this thing off?"

"STAY AWAY!" the doctor snarled. "I have come too far to end this now!"

Before he could argue, he saw the sphere had grown larger than the circle that contained it. It had stopped, but the humming was louder than ever and he knew what was coming.

"DOWN!" He shoved the doctor to the ground, just as-

KAWOOM!

He felt a tingling in his fur, a rush of energy shoot past him and, above it all, somepony screaming. But it wasn't him or the doc… it shook him even more than the machine ever had.

Edge waited for a few moments. He opened his eyes slowly, a heavy cloud of foul-smelling smoke covering his vision, originating from where the circle had been. He could still feel his hooves and every other part of him. The doctor was on the floor beside him. They were fine, miraculously.

"Get off me," he snapped sharply, rising quickly and hurrying over to his device. "Too much output in the transmitter. Fried all the circuits."

"So, it didn't work?" demanded Edge, striding up. "All of that and nothing?"

"I never said that." He pointed slowly with his hoof, towards the direction of the platform. "Look…"

Edge did so, squinting through it all. It took a while for the smoke to clear, but he could definitely tell that the platform was still there. It had survived. And it was no longer empty. Something was atop it. What was that, some rocks that had fallen onto it? They both stepped forward, the smoke clearing further as they approached.

They stopped, just before it. That was no pile of rocks. It was a pony, bent over and crouched in the centre. Even though he was crouching, Edge could tell that he was big… no, tall really. Not that much taller, but a little. He could make out wings, folded tightly against his body, a horn protruding from his head. Where had he come from?

He could soon make out more features. His fur, grey like the ashes of a dying fire. His mane and tail were royal purple, long and flowing almost like a robe. His face was gaunt, almost lifeless, like a corpse. His closed eyes only helped to serve this image.

Had this been the guy who'd been screaming before? The one the doc had told them about, who would bring him real glory? Edge could feel an emotion stirring, just from looking at him, one that he wasn't too familiar with and preferred not to be.

Fear. Pure and growing.

"It worked then?" he murmured to the doc.

"Oh yes," he said, with barely contained excitement. "I'd say it has."

Slowly, very slowly, the eyes opened. That fear Edge felt was now fully realised. They revealed grey, dark pits, like the one they had just pulled him out of. Despite the fear he felt, Edge could also feel a smile of his own start to grow.

Now, things were gonna get good.