• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 22,621 Views, 353 Comments

The Monster We Made - Corah Il Cappo



We trained her. We taught her. We raised her to godhood. She brought us down to earth.

  • ...
83
 353
 22,621

Sorrow

Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie!

I'm the element of Laughter! If you ever need a joke, a cupcake, or a smile, I'm your gal!

We went to Canterlot to rescue Twilight from Twilight by shooting Twilight with the elements of Harmony. Yeah, it didn't make much sense to me either. I guess Twilight had gone a little crazy again. Maybe she was tardy again?

Either way, we all went up to Canterlot to stop her. Once we got into the city, I realized that something was wrong. When Twilight had gone batty in the past, she had come to us for help first. We never needed to come to her. This time, she was so withdrawn. She was alone.

When we entered the throne room, there were two dead ponies on the floor. One was Celestia, the other was Cadence. They were both covered in rusty red dried blood. A trail of the same flaky blood lead to the hooves of my former friend. Twilight seemed no different from the last time I had seen her. Same wings, same horn, same hooves...but something was off about her. It was her posture. The Twilight I knew carried herself upright, with a natural grace and poise. This Twilight stood rigidly, as though she were a statue. Everything about the way she held herself was just wrong.

For the first time, I had nothing to say. I was too shocked to speak. Too shocked to do anything really.

"Twilight Sparkle, you have committed crimes against Equestria, against the Royal Court, and against Harmony itself. You have made yourself an enemy of Equestria, and thus an enemy of Harmony. Prepare to face justice."

Laughter began to well up inside of me like a fountain. It spilled out and over me, and within seconds I was surrounded by its bright red glow. Under the auspice of my element I felt strong. I knew what I had to do. I had to smile. As the rainbow of harmony descended on it's target, I grinned from ear to ear. I determined that no matter what came next, I would smile.

"Enough!"

The rainbow seemed to freeze only inches from Twilight. Her eyes lit up with a blinding white flare, and the five elements suddenly changed direction. Now they came hurtling back towards us, where they suddenly burst into flames and exploded outwards. The shock of it shook me, and hurled me straight back. I slammed into the marble floor, rolled over several times, and skidded to a stop. After that, the world went black.

When my eyes opened again, I was horrified by what I saw. Rarity had been skewered through the chest with a large chunk of metal. Rainbow Dash lay face down in a pool of her own blood, which was still flowing freely from her shattered skull. Luna was nowhere to be seen, but the large hole in the roof gave away what she had done. Fluttershy and Applejack lay side by side, their bodies charred and almost unrecognizable.

I wanted to cry. I wanted to cry more than I ever did in my entire life.

But now was not the time for tears.

Now was the time to be brave.

Despite the fear, the sorrow, and the pain, I smiled.

The goddess stood directly above me. She stared down at me with a glare that could have bored straight through both me and the floor on which I laid. Although I never saw her lips move, I heard her voice.

"You're going to die you know."

Her voice sounded hollow. Completely devoid of any emotion. I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat.

"I know."

Her expression changed slightly. She looked perplexed. If she was, her voice didn't show it. It remained starkly and horrifyingly monotone.

"Then why are you smiling?"

By now, salty tears had begun to well up in my eyes. What had once been Twilight dissolved into a blurry purple blob.

"Because that's who I am Twi. No matter what you do, it can't change that."

Even though I could no longer see her facial features, I knew that her expression had soured. She didn't waste anymore time with discussion. Her hoof shot out and struck me in the cheek. Again, I was sent tumbling until I slammed face first into the wall. I tasted the bitter, metallic flavor of blood in my mouth. It made me want to vomit.

I spat out a mouthful of the dark red liquid, and noticed several white chunks amid the crimson. A quick investigation of the interior of my mouth with my tongue told me what they were. A searing pain ripped through my jaw. It was excruciating. The tears had spilled over now, and ran in ribbons down my cheeks.

Suddenly, I was seized by an unseen magical force and lifted into the air. My body was turned until I was face to face with my former friend.

"I'm going to ask you again. Why are you smiling?"

I was done talking. They say that actions speak louder than words. I looked the goddess dead in the eyes, and smiled with broken teeth.

She punched me again.

And again.

And again.

Blows rained down on me in torrents. Twilight continued to hammer her hoof against my face until it was scarcely more than a jumbled mass of blood and bruises. Yet, despite the pain, all her assault did was strengthen my resolve. No matter how bloody or mangled it became, my smile never faded. Finally, with a disgusted grunt, she slammed me into the floor again.

By this point, it was painful for me even to breathe. This was the end for me. With my last, labored breath, I raised my head from the floor and uttered one last phrase.

"Ha, ha, ha."