• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 22,657 Views, 353 Comments

The Monster We Made - Corah Il Cappo



We trained her. We taught her. We raised her to godhood. She brought us down to earth.

  • ...
83
 353
 22,657

Uprising

I only wanted what was best for her.

From the very start, that was all I ever wanted. She arrived the same way they all did, but she was far greater than they. She was, without a doubt, the next great. Or rather, she would be.

She was strong, but she lacked focus. She lacked the restraint necessary to be one of the greats. But, with the right training, she would be great.

She would be the best.

I treated her the way I would have treated one of my own flesh and blood. I gave her all the love, kindness, and freedom she desired, giving her a little nudge in the right direction when needed. She grew. She prospered. She strengthened.

It was a thing of beauty really. The transition from neophyte to master is always an exiting one to watch. I saw it first in Starswirl the Bearded. He began by moving pebbles, and ended with moving mountains. It was thrilling then, and incredible now. Everything she was set to learn, she did.

She was a fast learner.

I tried to find a spell she could not learn. Giving wings to a pony. Walking on clouds. Age manipulation. Teleportation. All of these were master level spells. Things that even the oldest and most skilled of magicians had difficulty performing. She mastered them in days. She was a genius level unicorn with magical abilities that put all others to shame. It was... godlike.

After weeks and weeks of planning, I formulated a plan to make her what she was destined to be.

She was destined to become a god. She was magic, the strongest of the six elements.

We made her a god.

She was the child I could never have.

She was my magnum opus.

She was my undoing.

"A kingdom? Of course! It will be a perfect opportunity for you to learn how to rule! You'll be granted your own kingdom right away!"

It wasn't a big kingdom. Some small territories out on the border. She had asked for nothing fancy, and that was what I gave her. With it, she could learn about her new role as a goddess. I gave her what I thought was best for her.

She never got the chance.

We, the Alicorns, were called together to judge the actions of a unicorn. This unicorn had used what some considered to be "illegal magic". We debated the topic for a bit, but the conversation was dominated by the student.

"After all, I am the element of Magic. Shouldn't I be the one to decide what magic the mortals can use?"

This unicorn was not a resident of my students kingdom. She had no control over my subject. What she claimed was control over magic itself. The idea was absurd. I did not claim dominion over every creature that had ever seen sunlight. How could she claim that anypony connected to magic was her domain? If so, she controlled anypony who had ever felt friendship.

I had felt friendship.

I had felt it for my nephew, Blueblood. For my sister, Luna. For Cadence my niece.

I had felt friendship for her.

I had loved her like my kin. Treated her as if she were my own child. I had taught her. Trained her. Nurtured her. I had made her a god. I had raised her from the common muck and mire of equinity to be my protege. She was my student. My one and only personal student. The one I had selected from thousands, nay, millions of unicorns who wished to grow beneath my wings.

I chose her. She was special.

Her power and potential were one thing, yes. But she was chosen for something deeper. I saw in her a fire. A fire that hungered to learn magic. Never before had I seen a unicorn attack the books and study with such great gusto.

Not since I myself had done so, many eons ago. I saw so much of myself in her. For her to abuse her position in this way was unthinkable. Something had to be done. She had to be shown the error of her ways, before her errors destroyed her.

I would not let her be destroyed.

I came to her in private. I told her that what she was doing was wrong. I pleaded. I begged.

She refused.

I would not let her be destroyed.

I told her that I would not stand for this. I could not bear to watch as she corrupted herself. I would stop her from destroying herself. By force if necessary.

"I made you what you are, Twilight! You are my student, and I-"

"I was your student Princess. You made me your equal, and you will treat me as such!"

With that, the beautifully ornate stained glass windows, each depicting scenes of my student's triumphs, shattered into pieces. The drove of razor shards was hurled at me, lacerating my flesh. Every cut felt like a dagger piercing my skin. I was unconcerned with those.

I was concerned with the dagger that had pierced my heart.

Everything I had done. All of my training, love, and kindness. All for naught.

The student had surpassed the master.

After the glass attack, I felt my bones shatter as the glass before them had. They cracked like twigs beneath the magical pressure my protege exerted. I screamed.

Not from pain.

But from sorrow.

I wailed. Hot tears streamed from my eyes, their salt stinging against my wounds. Blood and tears mingled upon my broken visage, as I stared up at my student. I screamed.

She had been a daughter to me once. Now she dispatched me like a stranger. Such was the end for me. A creator felled by the monster she made. I had taken her in, and made her what she was.

I only wanted what was best for her.