• Published 2nd Apr 2013
  • 408 Views, 2 Comments

A Pair Of Aces - Bronies Zack and Nicos



[GuestFic] Rainbow Dash decides to teach Fluttershy how to "really use those wings". What could possibly go wrong...?

  • ...
 2
 408

Chapter 1: Basics

Chapter 1: Basics

After delivering the bowl of icing and cookbook to Pinkie Pie's house, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy met in the fields at 3 'o clock on the dot. The cyan-colored mare leaned back and breathed in the fresh air.

"Ahh, isn't this great? This is where I practice my stunts," explained Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy nodded.

"So, um, how do we do this?" asked Fluttershy in her usual whispery tone.

"Okay, so first, we start with the basics." said Rainbow Dash. "Slowly, start flapping your wings." Fluttershy obeyed.

"Good! Now just a little bit faster." commented Fluttershy's 'mentor'. The animal caretaker did as she was told.

"Okay...faster...FASTER..." said Rainbow Dash, waving her arms in a circle motion. Fluttershy was quickly panting as her wings became a yellow blur, but yet did not lift off the ground. Then she was overwhelmed and abruptly stopped.

"Is...flying...always...this...tiring...?"wheezed Fluttershy, who had now collapsed onto the silky grass. Rainbow Dash stood over her, helping her up.

"Hmm...I see the problem now...you're afraid of trying to fly, but instead you should be trying to BELIEVE that you can fly! That's the key: believing." explained Rainbow Dash, emphasizing on the word "believe".

"Can... we just take a break for a short while?" asked Fluttershy, still tired. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes.

"Fine," said the cyan mare. "But only for a little while." Fluttershy then flumped onto the grass, looking up into the clouds.

"Huh, I guess it is pretty peaceful here." realized Fluttershy. She saw the Rainbow Dash was on the ground as well.

"Now do you see why I picked this spot as my practicing spot?" asked Rainbow Dash, turning her head to face Fluttershy.

They both laughed and enjoyed the sunshine.

oOoOoOoOo

"Alright, breaktime's over, sleepyhead." said Rainbow Dash, getting up. "We need to get to work now." Fluttershy yawned and got up.

"Fine. Ok, so what's next?" wondered Fluttershy.

"Wait right here." said Rainbow Dash, zooming off into the horizon, and instantly coming back.

"What did you get?" asked Fluttershy. The cyan mare presented Mr. Wiggums the rabbit, Fluttershy's first duty to take care of. The caretaker yelped.

"But-but- MR. WIGGUMS! Rainbow Dash, you can't hold her like THAT!" complained Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash held the squealing rabbit up higher from the ground.

"Now for your first test. I want you to fly up here, grab Mr. Wiggles and fly back down safely. Got it?" commanded the cyan mare. The yellow and pink pony whimpered.

"It's DANGEROUS, Rainbow Dash! What if you drop him?! And it's Mr. WIGGUMS," shouted Fluttershy, truly worrying her head off.

"Well, then, you better fly up here and save her." stated Rainbow Dash, showing no signs of backing down now. Fluttershy attempted jumping up high to save the rabbit, but her trials were futile.

"Come on Fluttershy! Pretend that your life depends on flying!" demanded the cyan mare, holding up Mr. Wiggums up higher.

"But...I don't want to die..." stammered the caretaker.

"Well then BELIEVE!" screamed Rainbow Dash, getting impatient now.

In that single moment, Fluttershy understood what to do. She spread her wings and thought the same loud thought in her mind: I can do it. I can fly. Fluttershy flapped her wings as hard as she could and to Rainbow Dash's surprise, the caretaker flew up with such speed that she dropped the rabbit. With lightning-fast reactions, Fluttershy caught Mr. Wiggums and set her down on the ground.

"Wow, Fluttershy!" exclaimed Rainbow Dash. "You did it! You even surprised me, because, you know, you being a shy person and all and that HUGE burst of speed!"

"Yes!" said Fluttershy, throwing her hooves into the air.

"Tomorrow we start on something even harder." said Rainbow dash, flapping off. "See you in the morning!"

As for Mr. Wiggums, he quickly scampered to his pen. He had had enough, what with zooming ponies and being handled incorrectly.